Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hybrid Honda Accord

Comments

• Options
    dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    When I had my Honda the nav required a different code than the radio. You should have gotten the codes with it if bought new.
  • Options
    vietviet Member Posts: 847
    It's correct. NAV code is different from radio code.
  • Options
    mrmilesmrmiles Member Posts: 8
    I got a letter from Honda yesterday saying that I need to take my HAH in as soon as possible for a software upgrade. I don't have the letter in front of me, but there is apparently a glitch that could cause damage to the IMA battery if a service technician connects a computer to pull a diagnostic code.

Has anyone else received this notice?
  • Options
    I also received that letter and have scheduled my HAH's IMA battery software upgrated/ updated on 12/27/05. No charge.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter from a large daily newspaper would like to speak to current hybrid vehicle owners. If you would to speak with the media, please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime contact info., city/state of residence and how long you’ve had the car no later than January 3, 2006.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    jaxflygirljaxflygirl Member Posts: 25
    Do you really think they will stop making the HAH? I love my 05' but I really want a sunroof and like the new tail lights better, plus I'd rather have white than the silver frost I have now so thinking about trading in a few years to upgrade.
  • Options
    jaxflygirljaxflygirl Member Posts: 25
    I traded in my 2004 beautiful nissan maxima for the 2005 HAH. I prefer the looks of the maxima and many of the luxury features, however, the turning radius of the maxima was awful, very hard to park. Gas mileage was terrible and just felt like not as sturdy of a car as the honda. My last 3 cars before the HAH have been Nissans and now I am loyal to Honda. My HAH is so quiet, smooth and fun/easy to drive. I love it. I would buy another one.
  • Options
    jmsrollsjmsrolls Member Posts: 2
    While reading the NAV manual the night we bought the car, I noticed that there should be card for the radio and the NAV system, each with its own code. I only had a card with the radio code so called the dealer the next day to inquire. My sales person and the service manager assured me that the card I had contained the code for both radio and NAV.

The code on the card did activate the radio but I had to take the car back to the dealer (90 miles round trip) and after calling California, they supplied me with the NAV code.

Everything works now but I would certainly like to listen to my MP3 player throught the car system.

John
  • Options
    deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    bought a Accord EX-L 4 Cyl to get me at least part of the improved mileage I was seeking. I'll probably revisit the hybrids in a couple of years as I still like the technology and results.

A pretty good decision! And in a few years the premium prices on hybrids will be less and there will be a larger selection.
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    I'm on the same page as lars on this one. Mileage drops off in the winter months a bit.
    We don't own a hybrid at the moment, but to illustrate, I have my daughter trained to calculate mileage when she fills up the car as a way to keep an eye on how the car is performing. A sudden change in mileage could mean a problem is developing. She filled up yesterday and told me the mileage was down to 31mpg, which made sense since we had a fair amount of snow during the 2.5 weeks on the tank. That was a drop of about 7% from our typical fair weather mileage this time of year, and about 15% from our summertime mileage.
  • Options
    wrbwrb Member Posts: 2
    I came close to putting a deposit on an 05 leftover yesterday. they are offering a good deal around $25,600. I'm a little concerned that this is the first year of the HAH and am looking for some reassurance from some one who has had one for a while.
  • Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    good deal around $25,600

That is $10,000 drop in price from the one I looked at when they first hit the showrooms. What does that mean for anyone wanting to sell a used one? I think a couple posters here at Edmund's paid around $35k for theirs.
  • Options
    wrbwrb Member Posts: 2
    That's a good point. I really just started researching them as I really hadn't considered a hybrid because I figured they were so new and of course the extra cost. It seems like they trying to get rid of them fast. I'm also curious why the 06's aren't available yet
  • Options
    $35K was the out-the-door price I paid for my '05 HAH including NAV, extended warranty, 4 mud guards and 2 exhaust tips. However, at that time (December 04) I badly needed an extra car for my family. Is the $26.5K deal included sale tax and NAV? I consider buying a '06 or '07 HAH soon. Pretty much happy with its performance. For your new '05 HAH be sure to have the IMA battery software updated at a Honda dealer ASAP. No charge for this recall. I got mine updated few days ago. You surely wont regret for your purchase.

My little son often borrows my HAH to show off with his girl friends/ friends by driving at 3000RPM. Its engine only needs running at 2000RPM to reach 70MPH. He got his first ticket at night a few days ago. My insurance cost now is over $7K/ year with one speeding ticket by other son. Some insurance companies offer their insurance policies to me at $15K+ / year. It is a big pain in the butts to have kids under 21 year old driving in the household. If I buy insurance under their own names the cost is astronomically high that I cannot afford it.

Happy New Year to you guys and gals.
  • Options
    A HAPPY AND SUCCESSFUL NEW YEAR TO YOU, HONDA/ ACURA MANAGEMENT AND ENGINEERS. KEEP UP YOUR GREAT WORK.

A happy Honda/ Acura customer for more than 42 years.
    Viet
  • Options
    downlowdownlow Member Posts: 1
    I was also considering one of the leftover 2005's but they lack the moonroof. I would prefer with NAVI, is your quote with Navi and what state?
  • Options
    anandganandg Member Posts: 2
    31st '05 purchased a Honda Accord Automatic LX in NJ
    for OTD price of 20,900 (This includes sales tax, tags and 7 years extended warranty + vehicle enhancement kit). IS it a good price?
  • Options
    It's about right price for an I4 LX Accord which is bought at end of year before new models come out to market. If I were you I would have tried a little more to buy a '06 EX w/ NAV for about $26K or $33K (at MSRP) for a '06 HAH at 253 HP.

According to Ann Job and Dan Jedlicka, MSN Auto's critics, the Accord V6s' engines are best engines. For a little more money the V6 is super smooth. My brother used to drive several Civic. Weeks ago, he test drove a '05 Accord EX I4 and he ended up with buying the Accord instead of the Civic again. Obviously, he got lot of discount to buy the Accord at end of year. I used to have an '02 LX 120 HP which were built in Japan. At 220K miles after I tuned up the engine runs so smooth like new. It still runs now at 270K after I gave it to my relative.

All these explain why the Big 3 are on the brink of bankruptcy.
  • Options
    I am sorry that was my 1992 Accord LX. This model year was rated very good by CR.
  • Options
    $33K (at MSRP) for a '06 HAH at 253 HP

Do you have any idea what the holdup is on the 2006 HAH? They are not listed on Honda's website, only the 2005. Maybe they are only pushing the Civic Hybrid for 2006.
  • Options
    samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    I don't think there will be an '06 HAH. The '05 was such a bust, that Honda may want to cut their losses and move on.
  • Options
    midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    Viet said:
    "A happy Honda/ Acura customer for more than 42 years.
    Viet"

WOW! That means you drove one of the very first cars Honda ever released in Japan in 1963 , the S500 sports car.

from: http://www.asapconnect.com/used-car-history/honda-s800.htm
    After the Second World War, Honda made its fortune building motorcycles. Only in 1962 did it make its first car, the tiny S500 sports car. Available in convertible and coupe, it was heavily influenced by motorcycle design, its double overhead camshaft (DOHC), hemi-head 531cc engine having a roller-bearing crank and four carburetors. Maximum power — 44 bhp - came at a screaming 8000rpm, almost unheard-of in a road car you could buy in a showroom. Interestingly, the car had chain drive to independently-sprung rear wheels, redolent of motorcycle practice. Discs on front wheels hinted at the S500's cost-no-object specification, although the separate chassis was backward even in the mid-1960s. In 1964 the S500 became the 606cc S600, and finally in 1965 the S800, the best- known variant.

When the S800 became available in Britain in 1967 it had conventional drive to the rear wheels and an ordinary live axle located by trailing arms and a Panhard rod. It was good value, undercutting the Mini Cooper and Triu mph Spitfire, and was praised for slick gear change, excellent 30 mpg economy and remarkable acceleration for engine size. Handling was predictable, ride firm.

Honda didn't export to the Honda Civic to Canada until 10 years later in 1973.

The US didn't receive its first Honda until 1979.

from http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=68272

Prior to 1973, Honda was a company known more for its motorcycles than for its cars, which were tiny two-cylinder 600cc runabouts. This changed when the Civic debuted for 1973. The Civic offered amazing space efficiency in a fun little car that achieved more than 40 mpg on the highway. Room for four passengers was quite a feat for a car that possessed such diminutive dimensions as an 86.6-inch wheelbase and 139.8-inch overall length. A small transversely mounted engine and front-wheel-drive layout (an arrangement that was something of a novelty to the American car market) and 12-inch wheels maximized interior room. Indeed, early ads for the Civic boasted that it had more passenger room than many larger cars. Two similar body styles were available, a hatchback and a "sedan." These Civics were identical, even the rear of the cars looked the same, except that one had a hatchback and the other had a small vertical panel that opened to allow access to the "trunk." The early Civic had a few style quirks, such as turn signal lights that looked as if they were added on after the car was already built and a bulging center divider in the grille. Standard equipment included power front disc brakes, vinyl seating, reclining bucket seats and a woodgrain-accented dashboard. The hatchback added a fold-down rear seat, an AM radio and cloth upholstery. Options were minimal, consisting of air conditioning, an automatic transmission, radial tires and a rear wiper for the hatchback.

A 1,169cc (or about 70-cubic-inch) inline four-cylinder engine motivated the first-year Civic and put out 50 horsepower. This was an impressive output when considered in terms of power per unit of displacement: The Civic had 0.71 horsepower per cubic inch. And with a weight of only around 1,500 pounds, a whole lot of power wasn't needed to propel the Civic. Transmissions offered included a four-speed manual or a two-speed "Hondamatic" automatic gearbox. An all-independent suspension made the Civic an agile econobox that could run circles around American-built competitors like the Ford Pinto and Chevrolet Vega.

The Civic's base price was around $2,200 and Honda's early slogan, "It will get you where you're going," emphasized the practical and economical mission of the Civic and made no pretenses otherwise.

Viet, please tell us about the very early Hondas

Motor-on rev-m-Up,
  • Options
    The US didn't receive its first Honda until 1979

I bought an Accord hatchback in 1978 from the Honda motorcycle dealer in St. Cloud Minnesota. Very troublesome car and I was 78 miles from the dealer. I thought they had Civics in the US prior to that. I do think viet was referring to his early days riding Honda motor bikes.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Two things:

1. Hondas were for sale in the U.S. long before 1979. The Accord debuted as a 1976 model, and the Civic a few years before that.

2. Viet never said he was a Honda car customer for 42 years.
  • Options
    :P Give him a couple days to make up a story and he will get back to ya. :shades:
  • Options
    Viet never said he was a Honda car customer for 42 years.

You better reread his post as that is JUST what he said.
  • Options
    I did. Maybe you need to have your eyes checked. Here is what viet said, copied and pasted directly from his post:

I don't see anything there about "a happy Honda/Acura car customer", do you?
  • Options
    I did. Maybe you need to have your eyes checked. Here is what viet said, copied and pasted directly from his post:

I don't see anything there about "a happy Honda/Acura car customer", do you?
    Since Honda didn't even open up there motorcycle business in the US until 1959 he must have been in the doorway waiting for the first bike off the boat. Since the first Hondas cars and bikes weren't well received, mostly junk from ones I rode in I guess it didn't take much to make some people happy. :lemon: Maybe Mr. Viet will pipe up and settle this as I don't see how anyone could be happy with the early first Hondas.
  • Options
    Oh ya, what did Acura make besides cars during those 42 years?
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Let's get back to discussing the HAH and off of discussing each other please.

Thanks!

PF Flyer
    Host
    News & Views, Wagons, & Hybrid Vehicles

The Mazda Club Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
  • Options
    It's "Honda / Acura", which is shorthand for "Honda or Acura."

Maybe viet has not lived in the U.S. his entire life.

2006 - 42 = 1964, not 1959.

And more importantly... why do you care, and what relevance does it have to this discussion?

(Pat--sorry, put this in before your post. I agree, can we not pick on viet just because he happens to love his HAH?)
  • Options
    hey you stuck your nose into this and I have a right to my opinion, and since you continued this even though asked not to by the host (message3389) and you STILL posted I guess I too can get my last post.
  • Options
    Sorry folks. I meant I have driven Honda/Acura cars and bikes for 4 decades and been happy with Honda's products. Backy was right, I rode my first Honda bikes in another country 4 decades ago. And now I enjoy my HAH's roaring and revving engine when it quietly accelerates. It explains to me why when I am not home my little son likes to "borrow" it to drive around.
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Let's get back to the discussion and stop with the personal snipes. And this IS the last post stating this as any additional snipes will get deleted.
  • Options
    s2khahs2khah Member Posts: 26
    If you like the styling of the '05 (I think it is as good as the '06) and the price is right, go for it!!
    We bought in the fall (with NAV) got a good deal and then added the SunRoof aftermarket. The unit was a Webasto (made in Denmark and OEM on a lot of Euro cars). The roof was $1300.00 out the door and works flawlessly. We had one in an earlier Camry with the same reliability.
    That way you get the best of both, a savings on the fastest, highest MPG Accord going and the roof you want.
    Good luck you will love it.
  • Options
    I have moonroofs on all my Accord except the HAH '05 but I rarely open them but my sons open them very often.
  • Options
    dart66dart66 Member Posts: 1
    Here's a question...has ANYONE heard a release date for the 06 HAH? I've had a deposit for a 06 HAH with navi and the dealer keeps moving the date to the point it's not getting funny anymore. I have a build date of 12-15-05, no wait, they now tel me it was 12-11-05, no wait, it was built, but they don't know if it's been shipped, built,on a train, in Ohio getting prepped, etc. When I ask how can they not know where in the pipeline this car is, they tell me that I'm thinking too american, that the folks from Japan do business in a different way. I saw a commerical on TV on Christmas day from Honda about the HAH, but no update on their web site, no news from the dealership that makes sense, etc. Has anybody received a real date that their HAH will be here?
  • Options
    Hi Dart66:

Good luck and enjoy your "dream HAH '06" in your "sweating dream" every night. When I bought my HAH '05 I was in the same situation like yours because I badly needed to buy an extra car immediately. But now I have much wait time to buy another car. I am very interested in the HAH '06 too. Let me tell you it's a very fast car. It runs like a big powerful toy. You will love it.
  • Options
    taztroopertaztrooper Member Posts: 2
    I to have a 06 HAH on order since November. I talked with my sales rep yesterday about what is going on. The original build date was suppose to be 11/25/05. He called American Honda and was told that there was a production problem with the 06 HAH. This problem has now been resolved and they are going to start building the 06 HAH. Mine should be built in the next couple of weeks with delivery by mid February. I hope this helps.
  • Options
    haplesshapless Member Posts: 3
    just got a new '05 sedan for $16,500--great price, AWFUL sound!!!!! tinny is how i would describe it. any suggestions on upgrade components...will replacing the stock JBL speakers help??????????????????????????????????
  • Options
    plymouth7plymouth7 Member Posts: 4
    Wheeee! Just got done talking to my dealer and he said my 06 HAH is on the dock! When pressed, he couldn't tell me Japan or US,but it was just ready to go. He said in a 2 minute conversation with American Honda that the hold up is because of "certification". What certification I asked.
    Just certification, thats all. Booooo! What kind of story is this? I, along with Dart 66, just wish Honda would lift the veil and just tell us what is going on. The dealer says my car is ready, but he doesn't have a VIN, build date or anyother info. Come on Feb.! That's when I'm suppose to see my HAH. Funny, that Honda is using a 05 HAH in the Detroit Auto Show this year instead of a 06. Has anyone got a date to receive their HAH besides mid-Feb.?
  • Options
    Wow! Outstanding price for a 2005 HAH; almost half of MSRP. With the thousands you saved go to Tweeters and have them professionally upgrade you stereo and speakers.

The HAH is a very nice performance and very good mileage Honda Accord.

Double sixes,

MidCow

P.S.- I would have gotten a HAH, but I never learned to drive and automatic.
  • Options
    Below is the email I received from Honda today. This may be one of the reasons for the delay of delivery of the HAH '06 as Honda's been so busy with building their new cars and the constraint of available resources. I love the 5-door Honda. In my last survey with Honda I recommended Honda build a 5-door Accord hybrid.

"Life moves fast. You've got places to go and people to see. And so what if you want to bring a surfboard, shrubbery or a large, furry pet along for the ride?

That's why we built the Fit, an all-new 5-door from Honda that's small on the outside, yet amazingly roomy inside. With ingeniously maneuverable seats, the Fit is a versatile new vehicle that will transform the way you drive.

The Fit launches in the spring of 2006, but you can catch a sneak peek of this surprisingly quick marvel and sign up to receive more information today at fit.honda.com.

Visit the site.

Whether they're riding or driving, your friends will love the Fit, too. Tell them about it".

©2006 American Honda Motor Co., Inc. All information contained herein applies to U.S. vehicles only. Please see our Privacy Policy and Legal Terms and Conditions.

You have received this e-mail because you requested e-mail updates from Honda. To unsubscribe from future e-mails, please click: Unsubscribe.

American Honda Motor Co., Inc., Post Office Box 2206, 700 Van Ness Ave., Torrance, California 90501
  • Options
    "Life moves fast

That letter sounds like they have no idea when the 2006 Accord Hybrid will see the light of day, if it ever does. I think they were so disappointed with the poor sales that they may just dump the HAH and stick with the HCH and bring the Accord out with their great diesel engine. Then I would have to consider buying a Honda. I wonder if the Fit will be the flop the Element has turned into.
  • Options
    Why not peek into the Fit discussion and see all the interest this little car is arousing?
  • Options
    The Fit is a small car replacement for the Civic, because now the Civic is the size the Accord used to be. It's kind of like your kids growing up with hand-me-down clothes.

Cheers,

MidCow
  • Options
    I think that it's possible for Honda to make more than one car line. Just because the Fit may be coming into play, that should not be a reason for the 06 HAH not to be built. Funny, metro Detroit dealers are still saying whatever pops into their heads as to why the delay for the HAH. The question again is: has ANYONE got a firm date for when their HAH may be delivered?
  • Options
    The question again is: has ANYONE got a firm date for when their HAH may be delivered?
    Like a fine wine, it won't be delievered until its time. :shades:
  • Options
    My question keeps coming back: does anyone know the real reason for the delay? Every dealer that I have talked to gives different dates and answers, even the dealer that I have my deposit with...
  • Options
    While you guys keep asking that same (HAH delivery) question again and again I just sit back, relax and enjoy my "rocket HAH" on the street. After a long work day when I get out I "zooooooooom".

One thing: On slow moving during bumper-to-bumper traffic, the HAH engine works differently from the regular Accord, for sure. I guess during slow moving, the electric and the gas engines take turn to pull the car forward. I noticed it today. The Fit is too small to me.