Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hybrid Honda Accord

Comments

• citywolfcitywolf Member Posts: 14
    I got my software update Friday morning (8/18/06), and when I got home, ironically, my recall letter was waiting for me in my mailbox. Since Friday, I have driven about 200 miles, and have noticed maybe 2 MPG improvement in mileage. Not a whole lot. What I have noticed, is that my car now coasts more -- before the update, practically every time I let off the gas, the battery would charge. Now, it is often simply coasting when I let off the gas instead of charging the battery. I have not noticed any decrease in battery power. Other than that, I have not noticed any change in the functioning of the car. Has anyone else noticed any changes?
  • dave67dave67 Member Posts: 4
    I have owned an Honda Accord Hybrid for over a year, and my experience may make you feel better. I am one of those guys that keeps records - my total average over 15 months is 19.8, and I never have had a tank over 21.5. 80% my driving is my commute (6 miles with 4 lights, avg. 35mph).

Needless to say, I am totally dissapointed. I only got "wait longer", "drive better" and "everything is fine" from my dealer (6 visits about this). I am now attmepting to us the lemon law, but I am not to hopeful.
  • wrcpdwrcpd Member Posts: 1
    My wife bought a new 2005 Accord Hybrid and loves the milage she gets, but when we had the tires rotated and some other work done at about 20,000 miles, the car began to have a deafening roar at 35-38 mph and again around 55-58 mph. We thought it must have been the tire, had them rotated again without solving the problem. Finally we put all new tires on and that did not resolve the problem. The dealer couldn't find the problem. The wife doesn't mind the roar so much because her hearing isn't very good, and it gives her an excuse to drive over the 55 mph speed limit.
    It kills my acute hearing, drives passengers crazy and it just nusance. Any help will be appreciate.
  • louis-martaanlouis-martaan Member Posts: 2
    Hi

My HAH is show EXACTLY the same symptoms. If youre still reading this thread - what did you do and what did the dealer do?
  • dave67dave67 Member Posts: 4
    This may not be the same problem, but once I had a flat and used the Honda supplied tire inflater. When the dealer repaired the tire with a plug, they did not clean out the "goo". The car had a terrible noise and shudder at certain speeds until this was realized and fixed.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    The hybrid has cylinder deactivation which causes the engine to be a little louder. To counter this noise they may use noise cancelling through the stereo. The noise could be a defect in the active noise cancellation.

Try pulling the fuse for the stereo and see if that makes a difference - just turning it off may not do the trick as it may still run the noise cancellation.

People have had this problem with the Odyssey EX which does have noise cancellation.
  • citywolfcitywolf Member Posts: 14
    This problem has been described on other websites too-- such as greenhybrid.com. You should take it to the dealer and get them to check out the ANC and maybe even replace the system. there is a technical service bulletin on the HAH for this issue.
  • nolachucknolachuck Member Posts: 2
    Fraud is perhaps too strong a word to describe my judgment about my Honda Accord Hybrid after a little more than a year of ownership. Willful deception and gross misrepresentation is closer to the mark. My Honda is an '06 Hybrid with navigation. I've logged more than 45,000 miles in one year and my gas mileage has been very, very disappointing. Last fall, Honda recalled the vehicle for a computer "fix." Since that service call, I've been getting six to seven miles LESS per gallon than originally. Based on everything I read, Honda has laid a giant egg with this vehicle. It's as if Honda service departments, however, want their "problem" to go away. This vehicle has shattered my confidence in Honda. We have had three previous Honda vehicles and an Accura in our family, but this will be the end of our allegiance to Honda. This vehicle should be totally recalled by the factory. It's an embarrassment for Honda.
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    That's why they are sitting on the lots. Honda will probably have a 50% off sale on hybrid Accords just to get rid of them.

I hope you at least got some tax credit.
  • fxtoolfxtool Member Posts: 20
    My 05 HAH's check engine light came on 6 weeks ago. Took it in and was told that speed sensor was bad. Replaced speed sensor, and check engine light came on again. Dealer decided to replace the transmission. Today the check engine light came on. Took it to a different dealer near where I was, and he told me it was the speed sensor again.

I'm wondering if anyone else is having this problem? I've almost had it with this car.
  • steady2steady2 Member Posts: 1
    I bought an 2005 Accord Hybrid in early 2005 and now have just over 38,000 miles on the odometer. My driving mix is about 60% highway and 40% city. I'm a deliberate driver with smooth throttle inputs and drive near 65 mph on highway trips. I checked my odometer a number of times using highway mile markers and found it 1.25% fast. I've used part-synthetic oil and also installed a K&N air filter. The car has been through a tough winter this year and about two months when I first purchased it. City driving has averaged between 23 and 28 mpg, depending on weather. Highway driving has averaged between 39 and 42 mpg. Overall, my average has been just under 35 mpg. Drive a hybrid with care and it will deliver great mileage. Drive it like most wasteful Americans and it will deliver crummy mileage. Only problem so far has been a defective left-side outside mirror, replaced under warrantly. I am not an old-maid-like driver. I took the Accord to the local dragway where it ran a best 15.14 @ just under 94 mph. Again, drive with care and consideration, and this hybrid delivers great fuel mileage.
  • willis3willis3 Member Posts: 76
    This thread appears to be a bit stagnate, just wondering if the Hybrid Accord Owners here are having a more satisfactory experience.

I am considering the purchase of this car.
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    Not much reason to buy one over the other Accords other than raw acceleration. There's no significant fuel savings, they cost more and they sacrifice trunk space. Those are reasons why they haven't been selling.
    Accord Hybrid is a total failure for Honda. Nobody is buying them. That's why there is nothing going on in this thread.
    Assuming I can purchase the Accord Hybrid for the same price or less than an EX-V6, makes sense to get the hybrid for the $1,300 tax credit.

Reliability should be decent, hopefully gas mileage is slightly better than the regular V6.
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    My 2005 Accord Hybrid has been a good purchase for me. I wanted a car big enough for 2 infant car seats and to fit a tall driver (me). I also wanted an automatic so my wife could drive it. Traded a 2003 Accord 5 MT sedan.

At the time, I paid the premium over a non-hybrid v6 for a variety of reasons.

First Accords are common as house sparrows in central Ohio and I wanted to be a little different. On that score, there are other cars that would have been more obviously different.

Second, I wanted to do my part in some small way to demonstrate to car manufacturers that there is an interest in developing fuel saving technologies and some segment of the market was willing to pay a premium for it. Not a lot of people joined me in the Accord purchase but the over all effect of Prius, Civic Hybrid and Fit purchases I think amply demonstrates that such a market exists.

Lastly, I wanted to save some money on gas. My own MPG is about 25 MPG in 99% stop and go city driving. Probably about 10 - 15% better than I would have gotten with a V6 accord.

Would I do it over again? Maybe.

Goal 1 would have been better served by getting an Acura TL. Goal 2 by a Civic Hybrid. And goal 3 by a 4 cylinder Accord!

But I am still happy with my purchase. If I were buying a car for my family again today, I would get probably buy a Honda CR-V or an Acura TL.
  • hyownerhyowner Member Posts: 3
    Total failure? You must be thinking of the Ford 500, Chevy Colbalt, DCX Aspen, etc.
    As an owner of a 2006 HAH w/Navi, I'm trying to think what this car does poorly. Once you understand that this is a performance hybrid and not a 100 mile a gallon car, then you get it. Better mileage than the V-6 and Consumer Reports has it getting 1 mph better than the 4 with more horsepower than the both (how they got that number about the 4,I'm still not sure). The gas mileage is just what it says on the sticker, and the more I drive it, the better the mileage is getting. This car rides and drives like a dream, no heartaches,rattles, squeaks etc. I had the dealer put in a sway bar from a TL and foglights, perhaps a better sound system would round out this car.
    I paid slightly under sticker for this (I know, I should of waited) as I wanted to buy a Honda and get something that would show others that a Hybrid is not a spooky thing to own. I remember folks say that I could not recoup the price difference untill gas prices hits $3 to $4 dollars a gallon.
    Ok, this morning the price in Detroit is $3.41.
    But it's not about that. Buying the HAH was about buying a solid car with soild engineering that is going to last my family a long time.Based on driving this one for slightly more than a year, I feel good about buying this "failure"...
    Thanks for sharing your experience.

As much as I would like to go out and purchase the Acura TL Type-S with the 6MT, it's my wife who thinks we should get a hybrid. I know the Accord can be had with the 6MT as well, but since the Hybrid is slightly more powerful, gets better gas mileage, and will net a $1,300 credit, this is going on my list of one to consider.

The one downside is that the rear seat is non-folding because of the battery pack, right?

I guess the first step is to go test drive the vehicle.
    You know Willis 3, I was in the same boat as you. I wanted to first buy the TL (slightly better leather, sound system, and ooooh,it's a Acura). What turned me off was that you could not use regular gas and the mileage didn't measure up. The more I drive the HAH (and learn from others about the better way to drive it) the more I love it. Yes, the back seat does not fold down, but taking the HAH to Costco every other week, there hasn't been anything I bought that I couldn't get in the car.
    The $1,300 tax break, luxso interior, and solid engineering were a great help in helping me buy this car.
    But the old school side of me likes the idea of picking on Charger SXTs on Woodward and feeling the torque rush kick in...
  • jak666jak666 Member Posts: 4
    Giving back for some of the useful info found here.

I just took delivery of a 2007 Honda Accord Hybrid with NAVI, purchased on 5/8/07. This was a straight cash purchase with no trade-in, no financing. Deal was consummated after a modest amount of haggling (!!!). Starting point was Costco pricing at $29,885 for the car without the wheel locks. (The Window Sticker (MSRP) was $33,090, invoice $29,796.) Wheel locks were installed (List $98)

Final Price Paid $29,485.
    Savings $ 3,703 or 11.2%.

Transportation, taxes, registration & miscellaneous junk fees are not part of these figures. Dealer was Honda of Stevens Creek Honda in San Jose, CA. (owned by a big automotive group, Sonic Automotive).

Honda seems to be getting quite aggressive on the pricing B-4 the new Accords arrive later this year. Perhaps someone could comment on the current holdbacks/dealer incentives being offered.

Thx & regards---jak
  • jak666jak666 Member Posts: 4
    While reading your post, I happened to note your mention of your odometer inaccuracy. I'm a big Honda/Acura fan having logged over 750,000 miles in various models over the years. Not only have I been a satisfied, repeat buyer, I found Honda has been very good about taking care of problems... even those caused by the dealer. Anyway, I currently own an 2004 Acura TSX which has been a jewel. I recently received an interesting letter concerning odometer accuracy and the settlement of a class action suit. It turns out a Honda supplier (Nippon Seiki) supplied odometers which (may) have overstated mileage by 2-4%. Note this affects all US market Hondas/Acuras purchased between April 13,2002 and November 7, 2006. Obviously, this has implications for warranty coverage and leased vehicles. The settlement of this class action suit is to extend the mileage warranties by 5%.

BTW, this affects about 6,000,000 Hondas/Acuras. Because of an administrative screw-up, approximately 500,000 folks weren't notified of this situation.

All the specifics can be found at link title

And as an interesting commentary on how these kind of things work, the woman who first noticed this problem and wanted to file a suit will get a $10,000 "incentive award" for her trouble. The lawyers involved will get $9,800,000 for their efforts...

Welcome to the Settlement Class!
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    The lawyers involved will get $9,800,000 for their efforts...

That in one sentence points to a major problem in this country. Good info for those that might be affected.
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    samiam_68 says, "I don't think there will be an '06 HAH. The '05 was such a bust, that Honda may want to cut their losses and move on."

You got it right, just a couple of years late. :)
    I'm surprised the HAH stayed on the market as long as it did. The car had no purpose. It was not a performance car. It was not an economy car. It was expensive. It was not able to run on electric alone.

People who wanted performance bought the V6. Those who wanted fuel economy, bought the 4-cyl. In both cases they got a nice big trunk and saved a lot of money.
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    Well, from Honda's perspective, the car had several purposes:

1. They wanted to have the first V6 hybrid on the market, which they achieved.

2. They also wanted to be the first to have three hybrids in their lineup, which they also achieved.

3. They had said all along that they could put the IMA system in "any car in our lineup" and they wanted to prove that.

So the car accomplished some things. Being a big seller was not one of them.
    As a proud owner of a HAH/Navi, I think this I can say that this car has a purpose. Most HP of any of the Honda line (and runs on 87oct),the most upscale interior, unique exterior parts only to the HAH, etc. This is an Accord that is different than any other and that is a major reason why I bought it. To have more horsepower (253) than the V6 and get 41 hwy, I would indeed consider that a performance car. To say that this car is "not a performance car" is to perhaps never to have driven one. This car is a rolling platform of ideas that work well in the real world.
    Fast when I want it, gas sipping around the city when I need it, and just a blast to drive, I think this car did well in it's purpose.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    but the big problem will come when you try to sell it. The resale I'm betting will take a big dump. :sick:
  • wandlwandl Member Posts: 40
    Considering the purchase of a 70k+ mile HAH - I know the battery is covered up to 80k miles....should I be concerned about buying a high mileage and expensive-to-repair vehicle? For almost $20k...
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    YES! You should be concerned.

Why gamble? A $10K offer would be more like it. The owner knows that Honda discontinued production because the public saw no significant fuel savings and wouldn't buy them. The owner also knows about the possibly high costs of keeping this high mileage hybrid on the road.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Walk away from this deal, No wait, don't walk, RUN unless you want to store it and hope it becomes another Edsel and worth some money. :lemon:
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    For less money you could buy a brand new I4 Accord, and gas mileage is about the same.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Considering the purchase of a 70k+ mile HAH - I know the battery is covered up to 80k miles....should I be concerned about buying a high mileage and expensive-to-repair vehicle? For almost $20k..."

The HAH will get far better performance than an Accord I4, and at the same time get better MPG than a V6 Accord. There are reports of mileage in the mid 30's in town, but you have to drive it like a hybrid, not like a sports car.

20K seems a bit steep if that is a 2005, a bit better if it is a 2006. Check the blue book numbers, and suggest to the dealer that you are willing to pay between trade-in value and private resale value. Another good avenue is to ask your bank how much they will finance - that will provide a benchmark price.

Unlike the Toyota HSD, the Honda IMA will run without the electric motors functioning, but I think the batteries are required. I think the battery risk should require the dealer to take some $$ off the price. Also, the HAH is not being produced any more, which makes it less desirable.
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    If you have a 2005 HAH, is it time to sell? Logic being before the new model Accord comes out and before the diesel arrives.

What sort of resale am I looking at in 2010?

I've been offered $18k at a dealer for a car with 19000 miles. Car has been trouble free but Civic Si Sedan on low end and Acura TL-S on high end have caught my eye.
  • tigerhonakertigerhonaker Member Posts: 40
    So it would seem to me the outsider here that either owners here did not do their research on the HAH or they think you can have your cake and eat it too.

The HAH is a 253/255 HP High-Performance Car. It is not going to give FE (Fuel Economy) like a 166 HP 4-Cyclinder Accord. Come on people think about it. Do you really think that you can drive the crap out of a 255 HP car and it is going to give GREATER FE than a (4-Cyclinder-166HP Car).

I wish there was on this Thread some owners that are Proud of their HAH and would share with me your LIKES of the HAH you purchased. If so I will get the Instant-E-Mail-Notice and rush right over here to read your comments. :)

For the owners here that just HATE the HAH because you thought you could own a HIGH-PERFORMANCE-HYBRID and drive it like a Hot-Rod, COMPLAIN about the FE,don't waste my time or yours COMPLAINING about it. You should have known better: ;)

You Bought the Wrong Hybrid. You people should have gone for the Honda Civic Hybrid or the Toyota Prius that are Designed for Greater Fe than there Gas Counter-Parts.

Terry
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    If you are a long-term hybrid owner, our Senior Editor, John O'Dell, would love to hear from you! A short email with your maintenance experiences and concerns would be great. Please send to John at jodell@edmunds.com by close of business Wednesday, August 22, 2007. Be sure and include your Forums username.
  • minivanmama1minivanmama1 Member Posts: 28
    I would appreciate input of others. I have a 2005 Accord hybrid with 40K miles. It's been trouble free and a good car so far. What do others think about trading it in early in its life before it really depreciates?
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A freelancer aims to talk with owners of the following hybrid models: Accord, Altima, Camry, all Lexus hybrids and all pick-up truck hybrids.

Please respond to Chintan Talati at ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, September 12, 2007 with your daytime contact information and the hybrid model you own.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Be sure to check out Senior Editor John O'Dell's newest addition to our lineup, the Green Car Advisor for news and commentary on environmental automotive trends and technologies.

Looking forward to all your comments!
  • mrno3283mrno3283 Member Posts: 4
    We have an 05 Accord Hybrid. we love the car except for this humming or vibration. lately it seems to be getting not worse but more frequent. it annoys the hell out of my wife.
    a mechanic checked it and simply said...that's a hybrid.

still, it doesn't seem normal to me. can anyone shed some light on this subject??

appreciate it.
  • louis-martaanlouis-martaan Member Posts: 2
    Yes, I've had that too.

I believe it's the built-in noise-cancelling system malfunctioning.

The dealer replaced a part (under warranty) and it went away completely (although, after 2 yrs it's starting to come back.)
    I think it's a well-known problem to the Honda people

The good news is that it's probably not the engine and is easy to fix.
  • mputnammputnam Member Posts: 2
    May 30, 2005 I called my Honda dealer and he said he'd give me a better deal than his salesmen could! on an HAH. One came in the next morning, I drove it, wrote a check for $33000, gave my Explorer to my daughter and drove the HAH off the lot. It's comfortable, drives beautifully! does 0-60 faster than I'll ever need and it's fun to watch the gas mileage go over 40+ on long road trips. I haven't checked the average mpg on the 77441 miles it has but on my routine trips from our mtn (6800 ft) home to town (2800 ft) I average 29-31 with stops and starts in town. For the gas mileages the $5000 +- I paid more for it than just a regular Accord would mean I might need to keep it for 7-10 years, however, I got a $3000 tax break that year, and I have 'bragging rights' for owning a Hybrid. My girls were somewhat shigrined that I'd trade my stylish Cinnamon colored Explorer for a small car. But who's laughing now as they think twice about driving their 7 seat Yukons that get almost 15 mpg? And service - none so far, just oil changes every 3-5K miles and snow tires changed for winter. And I love that it costs me about $12.50 to town and back (75 miles). My husband drives a Dodge Ram Pickup and calculates at least $25 for the same mileage. This grandma thinks positive! Oh, and will I be sorry that I don't run it into the Honda service department every 20,000 miles? I hope not.
  • mputnammputnam Member Posts: 2
    The humming noise, my husband said, was from tires and road conditions, but the girl friends straightened me out on that. So -- turn up your XM radio! or at 20, 40 or about 60 just accelerate slightly and it will go away.
  • playdenplayden Member Posts: 1
    Just had this item repaired by the dealer. Out of warranty but Honda of America provided Good Will Assistance. Issue was a faulty Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) unit referenced in the below link. Total cost to repair $611 - which included the unit and replacement of the two from speakers. Honda covered the parts, I ended up with the labor - $150.

This link has a copy of TSB 06-005.
    http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/attachment.php?s=0bf76aa5c852b3a71d08a ..
  • bnhbuttsbnhbutts Member Posts: 5
    Anybody had to replace a Hybrid battery on the Accord Hybrid? I've heard it can be $4000+ , but don't know when it needs replacing. I'm considering buying a 2005 with $59,000 miles on it and I am little gun shy about the replacement cost. I spoke with a technician at Honda and was told that they will last forever and not to worry. Anybody had a problem yet?
  • sdjuddsdjudd Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 HAH and I am about to turn 90,000 miles. I have not had any problems with the hybrid battery. I did replace the regular battery about 2 months ago. I got one at Sam's for $65 and a 8 year warranty. My son left the inside light on and it drained the regular battery and the hybrid battery. It didn't help that it was cold here also. Everything is working fine. Don't let the fear of replacing a hybrid battery keep you from getting this great car. I have had mine for a year now and I am averaging 27 MPG with 50/50 highway and city miles. When gas gets back up to $4 a gallon it will be that much sweeter.
    Thank you, that is a very helpful perspective. have you heard anything about these batteries being replaced at a certain mileage point or the cost involved?
    Also - the cost of the car I am looking at is listed at $13,595, which seems a very reasonable price for this car AND it has a clean CARFAX.
  • r_ace1r_ace1 Member Posts: 5
    do you know if this tax credit can be towards the 05 Accord Hybrid? If unknown, how can I find this out.
    Thxs
  • r_ace1r_ace1 Member Posts: 5
    what tax credit are you talking about?