Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevy Aveo Hatchback

Comments

• Options
    wave54wave54 Member Posts: 211
    Just typed "Aveo bra" into Google and came up with a whole page of listings. Try it.

The hood DOES seem to attract all sorts of debris and stones that are kicked up. Have 2 nice gouges from wood/cardboard chunks flying off a truck. Makes you miss the old upright metal grilles and flat hoods of the older cars -- no problems with stone chips and the always lovely bug splatter in the summer.
  • Options
    poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    I saw a safety roll-over report recently on the news and the Toyota Scion wagon (as they called it-XA, XB?) was the mostly likely in it's class to roll-over while swerving to avoid an accident.
  • Options
    The xB is considered a car and is at the bottom of the list even though the rollover risk is almost identical to a Grand Caravan and is less than the '06 GM minivans.

Saw the listing -- the full-size vans, especially the 15-passenger versions, are atrocious with up to 30% chance of rollover. xB is 18%.
  • Options
    andy_handy_h Member Posts: 49
    Wave54, You are killing me and the Aveo with your subjective opinions and lies. For its price, the Aveo is King in its class. No long-term reliability reputation. The Aveo still maintains its perfect zero recall record. Abundant body roll in corners or in windy conditions. Since it is a little higher econo car, it gets a small body roll. But with the higher height, you get extra room for your econo car. The Aveo’s mpg is a little less than the Honda or Toyota. But, it is way less expensive comparable to its competitions. If you do the math over time, you do not save money by buying a Toyota or Honda. Okay, from my owner’s experience. I have a complete stocked 2006 LT loaded to the max with 15” rims, performance tires, moonroof, spoiler, etc. Oh, you can not get the moonroof in its class with a Honda or Toyota. I have avoided accidents with my Aveo. I thought it was going to flip, but it recovered fine. Interior layouts and options are much nicer and accommodating than the competitions (no stupid center display). I have everything that I ever wanted in a car (less power but save money). I have no complain.
  • Options
    Wave54, You are killing me and the Aveo with your subjective opinions and lies. For its price, the Aveo is King in its class. No long-term reliability reputation.

Well, to start with, opinions are always subjective -- they're just that -- an individual's view, not a hard fact (objective). If I disagree with you or anyone else, this doesn't make one person right and another wrong -- we just disagree.

I haven't stated any erroneous facts that can be considered lies. My experience with my individual car may, in fact, be far worse than the average persons -- I also have been putting the mileage on faster and have far more miles than probably anyone here. Who knows how Aveo owners will feel as they approach 80K miles? I hope everyone is as happy then as they are today.

By long-term reputation, I was not referring to recalls but the data that come with many people's experience over many years. We have an expectation about Hondas and Toyotas based on decades of ownership and owners who pass 200K miles and more with no major issues. That type of reputation (good or bad) can't exist for the Aveo since it has only been available for 3 model years in the US. Not a knock, just a reality -- in 5 years the car will likely have a reputation for being reliable or not.

I'm not at all impressed by consumer reviews from owners who buy a new car on Monday and give it 10 stars on Wednesday. Whoopie! It's a new car! To me, the true test is how is it holding up at 100K miles or 150K miles? Does it still ride and handle well; are the engine and transmission in good shape; have the body and interior held up?

Whether the math favors the Aveo depends on how each car is equipped, how long you plan on keeping it and whether trade-in value is even a factor. Too long a discussion to get into, and pointless unless you like each car equally. I think the just-introduced '07 Hyundai Accent 3-dr hatch at $10,400 will be a formidable competitor at the lowest price points, though.
  • Options
    canuck785canuck785 Member Posts: 160
    wwwoahhhh..i did not know my message was gonna get as many replys!!! which is pretty nice! i hope it does help other ppl...hummmm too bad about the yaris..i do think it is the best LOOKING one...but the Xa and aveo and close enough!!! besides i am planning on picking the orange colored one and the 2 other ones dont have it..so there!! :P i did like the way the XB drove and the room..i have 3 Labs and i would have like to get a new car that they would all fit in...but i am not gonna buy a 20.000$ car for my dogs...they can ride in the old chevy truck as they do now ;) that truck has 230.000 miles (original engine) on it and runs great!! but that is besides the point in this discussion... my husband was also worried about the XB in the snow because of the weight in the back and the fact that is is pretty low to the ground so i dont think it will be an option...that leave the Xa. he owned a few toyota and he is sold on them..so we will probably take a look at the yaris anyways...but as i told him...we could get 2 aveos for about 20.000$ and not 2 yaris...that kinda worked...:))) question: the base aveo " special value" dont come with a/c??? how much is it to have it installed at the dealer? we will not drive a car without it in kansas...NO WAY!!! :shades: i noticed that no cd player is not included in the base model but that can be easily installed at home after purchase therefore not a problem. anyone correct me if i am wrong on those 2 options.
  • Options
    Correct -- no factory A/C or CD player on the base model (SVM). I think it's about $1000=$1100 for the dealer to install A/C.
  • Options
    randydriverrandydriver Member Posts: 262
    yeah down here in dallas they said it would be about $1200 to install the a/c.
  • Options
    glad to know i was correct :) ...my conclusion is that we would be better off going with the LS then? i would be curious about how much ppl paid for an LT? a dealer quote me at 13.900$ last night? would that be a good deal?
  • Options
    Yes, I saw the others as well, that is why I said in its class the Scian is the worst rated. A truck will most always be more likely to roll than a car based on its height and center of gravity. The Nissan Exterra lead its class in the tip test and the GM vans were bested by what the Mazda I believe. There were quite a few with similar results. As expected the Explorer was bad as was the Toyota Forerunner, but depending on the options others were comparable.
  • Options
    I priced out these cars on Chevy.com (build your own) and a loaded LT was about $14,000 msrp which no one pays, or should I say no one should pay. That is what negotiation is all about. A $14,000 mrsp car could be haggled at least 10 % off if not more. Are there rebates available?
  • Options
    about toyota dealers...I went to the one in Lawrence, Ks and I had a great service and the guy was very helpful and NOT pushy. i'd go back again!
  • Options
    we went to a chevy dealer today and he did not mentioned any rebates. he gave us a price on 2 aveos,special value with a/c...he still has to email us to let us know about the installation price of it (a\c)...the base price he gave us was fair, too bad he did not have any aveo in stock...it was 20.000$ and some dollars with taxes and all which would be 391.00 mth. considering that he gave us a quote on a vibe last month and it was 389.00 we can really say that we get 2 new cars for the price of one pontiac vibe! i know they are not the same car but we are willing to sacrifice to get 2 new rides instead of just one.
  • Options
    Did you say you were from Kansas? Thought there was a rebate ending soon, so checked chevy.com website for that area and there's $1000 rebate until July 5.

With that in mind, a quote of $20K for 2 SVM Aveos may be a bit high even with dealer A/C. Base price with rebate should be under $9K and there is even room for negotiation below that, especially buying two at once.
  • Options
    you think we could go under that price? since we are not ready ready to buy now (end of the summer) we did not push too much but that gave us a good idea of what we could get. yeah, we are in kansas, RURAL kansas that is...he even said that if we order the spicy orange one, he needs a deposit on it...but not for another "more conventional" color... :confuse: if we were gonna buy a big chevy flat bed, then we could probably get it bright pink, right off the lot!!! ;) luckily, we have a few other dealers we can buy from so when the purchase time comes, we will be ready and shop for the LOWEST price.
  • Options
    I live across the street from a Chevy dealer and they're selling base models at $8495 incl. rebate with no additional dealer mark-up sticker. Definitely shop around!
  • Options
    where are you at again? and what is the dealer you are talking about? i'd be curious to check the web site and price that price for further use... :)
  • Options
    and what is the dealer you are talking about? i'd be curious to check the web site and price that price for further use.

Schaller Chevrolet, New Britain, CT

Could be a close-out before 2007s come in. There were a couple with prices on the windshields up near the street plus an electronic billboard advertising $8495 and now they're gone.

Have heard of others who paid around $8K for their base models, but that's probably for whatever's on the lot, especially at the end of a model year, not for orders.
  • Options
    that would make sense...and i am sure the price goes with the demand and offer. like any other material goods!!!

thank you for your info!
  • Options
    I just priced a Scion xA on its website with spoiler, rims, fog lights, auto, and it comes out $16.5K. Folks, Aveo is much much better bang for the money.
  • Options
    1oldguy1oldguy Member Posts: 3
    To anyone considering buying an Aveo, a few words of warning. I have been buying new cars for the past 40 years and I would have to consider the Aveo the absolute worst car I have ever owned. On November 19 2004 I bought a 2004 LS Hatchback ($14,775) plus adding cruise control, hood protector, arm rest, vent visors and molded splash guards ($850) I now have a car that 3 dealers have quoted me a trade-in value of $7,500. I have less than 10,000 miles on the vehicle and to list the problems I have had with it would probably takes both sides of a sheet of typing paper. Dealer Service Departments (3) have not been able to fix any of the problems I have encountered. Seems almost as if they do not have the information or the experience or the inclination to work on the vehicle. Unless the 2005-2006-2007 Aveos are markedly improved over the 2004's for reliability and safety, I would not encourage anyone thinking about buying one. If you are interested in buying a sub-compact pay the extra money and get a Toyota, Honda or some other brand with proven reliability.
  • Options
    The Honda and Toyota models just came out so the reliability cannot be judged for at least a year or two.
  • Options
    bowsersbowsers Member Posts: 14
    I live in NYC and also have a red 2004 Aveo LS auto fully loaded with sunroof and antilock brakes. I purchased the vehicle for my wife who only uses it to take kids to school and short shopping trips. We have never had a single problem except the engine warning light came on because of a loose gas cap. I also spent $14K but I feel it was a good deal. The car is fun to drive, has antilock brakes, gets good gas mileage and everyone stops us and says "nice car, how much was it" It looks brand new and only has about 9K miles on it. Being that everyone wants a small car because of the high price of gas about $3.50 a gal here in the northeast, I would have no trouble in selling the car privately for a good resale price. We are not planning on selling it but I will wait and see if any major mechanical problems come up...
  • Options
    I was not being model specific in referring to the Toyota or Honda models, only in the overall reliability of these two and other carmakers. Daewoo did not fare very well in the U. S. because of their poor quality and dealer service. The Aveo could be a great little car if more attention was paid to the assembling and the quality of the parts used. Quiet, roomy, peppy engine, smooth automatic transmission, nice handling, cute all can be used to describe the vehicle. But that counts for nothing if the Aveo is plagued with as many problems as I am having and the dealers inability or unwillingness to fix them. It appears as if GM has literally abandoned this particular make and model. "The concept was brilliant but the execution is greatly flawed" pretty much sums up my feeling about the Aveo, unless of course as I stated earlier, the 2005-2006-2007 are markedly improved over the 2004.
  • Options
    losanjolosanjo Member Posts: 1
    I just had my Aveo to the dealer this past week after discovering that my speedometer was off 5 miles an hour or more. The response that I got from the dealer is that Chevrolet considers this "normal at this time" and has no fix for the problem. The Bulletin covers all 2004-2006 Aveos. So, I'm driving around at all times with my speedometer off anywhere from "7-9%" according to the bulletin. What about my actual mileage? I also continue to have a vibration on the driver's side and shifting problems with the automatic transmission. They told me to keep checking back for a fix. Buyer's BEWARE!, and check your speedometer!
  • Options
    My speedometer is off by +5 mph at highway speeds (less at lower speeds). I noticed right after buying the car that driving at 65 mph was like standing still.

I always check against those portable radar signs and I've learned to add 5 mph while driving -- for 65 mph, I keep the speedometer at 70.

Have also wondered whether this has any effect on the odometer and the calculation of gas mileage. Am I racking up 8% greater mileage than is actually travelled?
  • Options
    toomuchrocktoomuchrock Member Posts: 19
    Since I bought my aveo in Feb I have noticed about 3 or 4 times that the passeger side air bag off light has come on even with a passenger in.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I took it to the dealer. Their answer: vehical is operating properly.
  • Options
    festiboi1festiboi1 Member Posts: 10
    I reread my last posting and it seemed a little harsh on the Scion. It was still a good car and I wouldn't laugh at anyone who bought one. Even though the engine performance was very similar btween the two cars, the Scion handled much better and didn't seem to lean so much. Plus the Scion seems to have more an image even though I thought the Aveo was the better looking one. And of course Toyota reliability, the car that my Aveo replaced was a 1978 Toyota with 230,000 miles, so I truly believe in them. Hopefully my Daewoo-soucred Aveo will be just as good (no problems so far!)
  • Options
    The air bag thing. Your passenger must not weight much to set the sensors off. Have your passenger re-seat herself. It should work. Check under the seat for any obstruction too. Your passenger air bag is operating properly.
  • Options
    Who cares.....
  • Options
    efrantzefrantz Member Posts: 7
    I understand that people with the 2004 chevy aveo have had problems.But it was the first year of production.I own a 2005 ls and love the car.Ive had mine almost a year with no problems what so ever.I am very impressed with the car and love it.Maybe you should consider trying an 2005 or 2006.It seems they have gotten all the problems fixed.I constintly read these forms and all the compliants are about tho 2004 models.If anyone is decideing to buy new look at the aveo it is very peppy and very fun to drive.
  • Options
    bowsersbowsers Member Posts: 14
    I live in NYC and also have a red 2004 Aveo LS auto fully loaded with sunroof and antilock brakes. I purchased the vehicle for my wife who only uses it to take kids to school and short shopping trips. We have never had a single problem except the engine warning light came on because of a loose gas cap. I also spent $14K but I feel it was a good deal. The car is fun to drive, has antilock brakes, gets good gas mileage and everyone stops us and says "nice car, how much was it" It looks brand new and only has about 9K miles on it. Being that everyone wants a small car because of the high price of gas about $3.50 a gal here in the northeast, I would have no trouble in selling the car privately for a good resale price. We are not planning on selling it but I will wait and see if any major mechanical problems come up...
  • Options
    csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Not me. My present car is a Malibu Maxx, my last one was an Elantra. I've always tried to get the best deal regardless of nationality.
  • Options
    muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    I also bought a 2004 Hatchback, and we paid $8500 new (NOT SVM w/ a/c and automatic). $15625 is WAY too much for this car. $7500 trade in? I only lost $1000 in 2 years? Sounds like the best resale this side of a mini cooper!

As far as problems, we Haven't had any with our 2004 in 25000+ miles. (knock on wood)
  • Options
    The first time i filled mine up with fuel.I was goingto leave it run and another gentman pulled up with a vw.He explianed that you must shut most of the new cars of when refueling.I tought he was crazy.Then i went home and read the owners manual.It says to shut the vehicle off will refueling.This is the fist vehicle i have ever had to do this with.Also if anbody is looking for the stock cd\mp3 player that came with the car i have one.Its brand new the first thing i changed in it.
  • Options
  • Options
    There have been signs posted at gas stations for decades warning drivers to turn their vehicles off while fueling. This is nothing new and applies to all gasoline-fueled vehicles.

There've been no confirmed cases of a fire starting as a result of cell-phones, however -- seems to be an urban legend.
  • Options
    aveoatomicaveoatomic Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone tried to fit a bike or two in the back yet? I'd like to know before I give it a shot and mess up the interior or something. Oh, also, I've been getting a lot of people asking how much my car was too :)

Although that was mostly at bodyshops. I've been rear ended twice in a week (bought the car about 3 weeks ago) and all I had were minor scratches on the bumper cover. It's surprisingly durable. Although both were while I was stopped and very low speed. Still the second one was a bit faster and downhill with a truck and I thought it would have been dented. Still pissed off though that it's not totally new anymore though..grrr...
  • Options
    i was puzzled by you message..you NEVER turned off your engine when you fill up your car????!!! it would never even cross my mind to let it run!!!! i sure hope you dont smoke will putting gas in, while your car is running :surprise:
    there are signs at EVERY gas stations all across AMERICA saying not to smoke, along with turning your engine off...why? IT IS DANGEROUS!!!!
    i am telling myself that you must be 16 yrs old and just learnt how to drive and just got your 1st car...
  • Options
    Sorry to confuse you.But when its cold out i used to keep my vehicle running.Then as it was pumping i would stay warm.And no i do not snoke and pump gas.
  • Options
    Has anyone tried to fit a bike or two in the back yet? I'd like to know before I give it a shot and mess up the interior or something. Oh, also, I've been getting a lot of people asking how much my car was too.

A member of this board fitted his mountain bike nicely in his Aveo:
    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mht_in_la/detail?.dir=247c&.dnm=f8fcscd.jpg&.src=p- - h
  • Options
    I hope that you took down the drivers information after they rear-ended you. There is a good chance that you may have had more damage than you think. Most cars have similar bumpers on their cars designed to absorb the impact rather than deflect it like the metal bumpers in the past. Under bumpers now-a-days are plastic egg crate like absorbing structures that do get damaged, and any impact will weaken them possibly to the point that one day they may loose their absorbing structures and damage and safety could be jeopardised.

If you haven't already, get your car inspected.
  • Options
    As you know, GM is not doing well. But, the Chevrolet Aveo continues to do very good with sales up 23.5 percent, compared to May 2006.
  • Options
    good to know!!! :)
    i re-read my post and it did sound kinda mean...sorry i meant it to be kinda funny like "DUH, dude, HELLOOOO!!!???" not sure it came across like this...
    I apologize if some felt offended by it.
  • Options
    Guess that means they sold 2 in June.
  • Options
    Its cool no bad feelings here.
  • Options
    aveoatomicaveoatomic Member Posts: 5
    Yeah, I'm actually waiting for it to get fixed. I went to the Chevy dealarship to get it worked on because they offered to fix more things instantly. I want the WHOLE bumper replaced, not just some touch up paint. I found out about the egg-crate thing when my camaro z28 was wrecked.

Also, I dodged a bullet on the rental car. They nearly gave me another Dodge Stratus. I HATE DODGE STRATUS'S (strati?) When my camaro was wrecked I was made to drive one for nearly a month and its horrid. I would not recommend that car to anyone as it is very loud on the inside due to road noises, bad response time in acceleration, and not very comfortable especially for 6 foot plus people like me. Luckily I was given a Chevy Cobalt right before I stepped out the door (after waiting 2 hours). The Cobalt is nice, but it's not my new Aveo. I just feel cramped in a car. The Camaro had t-tops so it wasn't too bad, but the Aveo is like a mini-SUV on the inside which makes me happy.

Also, anyone put in a new stereo system in the Aveo? I have the premium speakers but the stereo's sound output and lack of an auxillary are less than desirable.
  • Options
    flav2000flav2000 Member Posts: 8
    My family's got a new 2006 Pontiac Wave in Jan. - which is the same car as the Aveo except for the nicer looking grille and black instead of body color columns near the windows

We love this little car, and it performs well although it's a bit underpowered considering how many big hills we have here in Vancouver.

Anyways, I am just wondering if anyone have problems with any of the door handles, esp. the ones that open the trunk. We have the trunk handle fail twice in 3 months. When it breaks, the handle will give no pressure and would not open up the trunk. As far as I know, there is some kind of a pulley assembly that opens up the trunk lock. According to the rep, it's the "clip" holding these together that messes up.

The 2nd time we brought it into the shop the handle broke again right when we tested it for the 2nd time. :sick: It's good that we were still in the lot. That handle mechanism is now okay for 3 weeks now. I'm crossing my fingers.

Just want to inquire if others encounter this issue before.
  • Options
    muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    2004 Chevy Aveo w/ auto and a/c that I purchased brand new for $8500 has been wrecked! Nobody hurt, but g/f mangled it - most likely totaled. She's fine, so I'm not going to complain, but it's going to be much more difficult to taunt people with the amazing deal I got with no car...
  • Options
    glad to hear no one was hurt. Sorry about the car....