Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Aveo Hatchback

Comments

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    look at it as a possible Judge Judith Schiendlin possibility! Gotta be worth somethin'! :D

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• flaaveoflaaveo Member Posts: 161
    Belive me...I have thought of her through the entire process so far. If she wasnt in Calif. I wouldn't mind doing this on her show! But because of her,I remembered to take pictures with my phones'camera..get the police to come out and at least do a report,and if they don't pay...THEN sue to get your deductable back,plus bodily damages! I would love to compare licenses in front of 10 million people and see who has been arrested,how many times. Gotten tickets,been in accidents,and do that diagram on the wall.I'm 100% clean till this 'woman' hit me and ruined my car and perfect record of driving,except 1 small speeding ticket. Somehow I think SHE is VERY familar with courts. I would walk out of there with $5,000. That other 'woman' would be publically humiliated! I'd pay to do it! :)
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    episode, too! Gotta love both Judge Judy and your solid chance to sue this woman and get back what's rightly yours.

Judge Judy can see right through morons that try to lie to her with a straight face. It's a beautiful thing to watch. :)

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• wave54wave54 Member Posts: 211
    Aren't you getting way ahead of yourself? You've already anticipated the other party not paying and you getting screwed without any of this having actually happened.

If she admitted fault at the scene, then the police report should reflect that and the other party's insurance is liable. There are millions of accidents, big and small, every year in the US and they get handled. With the number of unlicensed and uninsured motorists out there, you're lucky the other vehicle is covered.

Be grateful too that you're not one of the 120 people every day that leave the scene in a zippered bag or the thousands that are maimed, but live. At $2500, this is just a fender bender -- a small claim these days.
    Why is she or he dragging this out? Why admit guilt, then change your mind, or have the agent change your mind? When it is YOUR car all smashed up,less than a year old,lets hear how you handle it. A $10K new car,with $2,500 damage is 1/4th its worth. THATS big. On here at least I am getting some of my anger out, and informing others of my mistakes at the scene,so they don't make the same IF they ever get hit, Of course it could have been much worse. Had I not managed to move that car that foot or two before she hit me, I might BE in that zippered bag! Why drag it out? IF the outcome is going to be,'well you have to pay his deductable and your insurance is going up per month, that's it'. Is the agent just making them say it as a matter of course,that you claim innocence no matter what. Just to be difficult? Or is this cop maybe a friend of hers, and I am going to get screwed so bad my back will bleed from the knife sticking through me? I am one of those thousands that are 'maimed'..I hope not forever,but I am in constant pain,cant sleep more than 2 hrs a night for the past 8 nights,without waking up screaming in terror from nightmares of a huge truck hit me and trapping me under it! This forum is my only 'vent'. Certain people have calmed me down,made me laugh, :) made me think, :confuse: and of course I am glad, as I have said, that this truck HAD insurance in Florida! This state has so many uninsured people it is unreal. They drive cars that couldn't pass any inspection, IF our Govenor had not gotten rid of car inspections. They fall apart AS they drive and WE with new cars, or cars with babies in them, or insured cars,have to run over their wheels,bumpers,mufflers,parts falling off thier cars. WE get the short end of the stick..and I get that short end every freaking time!:mad: That is why I am anticipating a bad or long outcome. I hope for the best and expect the worst. I am taking it in tomorrow to be repaired,and to get my deductable BACK from the other 'party',will take months...that came from MY side of State Farm ,and that is getting the money FROM State Farm! Not another company, that would be worse. Who here has dealt with this issue before...and how long did you wait for reimbursment?? Then there is all my medical problems,and payments. To get my 20% not covered by my policy from THEM,is going to take months as well. What if I am permently disabled and can't work any more. I can't turn the steering wheel as it is with my right arm/hand. Can't work now...am loosing money left and right,self employed. And to old to start a new 'career'. Yet this cow is getting away with lying! Until at least when the police report comes out. And I PRAY that it says in black and white SHE is guilty,or at least is guilty of 3-4 different infractions that caused the accident. What if it says it's a toss up who hit who? I know that can't happen...but what if? Who knows? As long as it says she is in one in the wrong, then yes, I am petty and will revel in it and if I ever see her, laugh in her face. Yes I am thankful I am not dead. But SHE is not showing any concern and is making it more difficult and dragging it out. Why? :confuse:
  • randydriverrandydriver Member Posts: 262
    I hope everything goes okey for you....My friend was in an accident last night. He is okey but not the car. I think it is totaled.....but that is to be seen.
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    I have been involved in several accidents over the last 15-years and none were my fault. The worse insurance situation was when I hit a Hyundai Excel almost broadside after she pulled out onto a four lane road right in front of me. I swerved and clipped her front end with my S10 pickup causing thousands of damage to her little car and no visible damage to my truck other than the rubber bumper guard being scratched. Anyways, this driver was foreign and had high risk insurance (American Embassador). I had to pay my deductible up front in order to initiate the minor service that my truck needed. My insurance company (Country Company-one of the best) took care of the rest. We were able to get my money back for the minor repairs but the deductible, which I forgot about after one year, came to me surpisingly in the mail after 3-4 years.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter from a large national newspaper is looking to speak to anyone who has purchased a small car in the past couple of months. If you purchased this car as an additional car for the family versus a replacement, please note that as well. Please provide your daytime contact info to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Thursday, May 10, 2007.
  • festiboi1festiboi1 Member Posts: 10
    Hey all,
    About six months ago I posted a note on here about my 2004 Aveo hatch making creaking and popping noises on bumps and dips. Since then I've taken it to a Chevy dealer and they made a false claim that the car was in an accident(I've owned it since brand new and it never has been in an accident) and they refused to cover the repairs. I took it to another local Chevy dealer and they put new bushings on it, but the car still made the noises. It has been in three more times to the dealer and they have put new control arms and lubed the suspension up, but still the noises. It's been a hassle finding time to take the care there and GM does not offer a rental car, so I've been bumming rides. Now on this fourth visit, the dealer says there is nothing they can do and they have followed all GM guidelines for these issues with the Aveo. They want me to keep the car as it is, making these horrible noises. They also stated that since its an economy car they can't invest large sums of money into the car for repairs.

I am highly disapointed and don't know what to do. This is my first brand-new car and I bought it so I would have a reliable car. It only has 27k miles and I am just annoyed with the scenario. I am ready to sell the car, but no one will buy it with these creaks. GM won't back me up or their warranty, and I am shocked that a car company can do this. Any advice where to go from here?
    Have you mentioned to them that since you have brought it in more than 3 times in less than 3 months,for the exact same problem,that you could envoke the Lemon Law? Read the Lemon Law book to see if it covers this item. I think it does. GM or your dealer HAS to fix it. Or you could use the Lemon Law to settle it,and force them to find a fix. Do you take them for a ride to hear the creaking,so they hear it?
    Good suggestions, I checked into California lemon law and the way I understood it, the vehicle must originally have the issue before 18k miles, which the car had about 22k when I first took it in.

Also did take one of the techs on a test drive and he did notice the crunching noises, to which he replied "I have no idea what that is". Makes me feel confident, lol!
    Is the Calif. law different than the 'Lemon Law' book you get when you buy the car? Mine says that it starts the day I bought the car,till the end of the original warranty. I think. :confuse: . Calif. has a different law??? IF so,that is VERY unfair..you get no coverage after 18K? Yet the warranty goes till 36K.?
    To be blunt. I would call GM customer service, and say that you feel unsafe in your car and you feel this is a safety issue, THAT usually gets you a loaner car for free, so they can have it for as long as it takes to fix! And you will have a car. And 'fib' a little and say you have contacted a lawyer, that said IF something happens that causes you damage, and they ignore you and don't fix it...you CAN and will sue them...BIG TIME!. Hey a threat here an there cant hurt. I did it for a small issue and it got fixed! I am at only 9 months and 4K miles. I am one of the lucky ones that has a silent car,no squeaks or creaks...that is before my car was smashed by some woman, and now I am waiting to pick up my car today or tomorrow. Now I am praying that it is a silent as it was before!
  • akveevoakveevo Member Posts: 12
    Insurance in Orando, FL. I may be on the other side of the country but my insurance went up only $43.00 per year with the Aveo and is still $16.00 cheaper than my fiance's 2001 Ford Focus. We have the same issues with the heat, illigal drivers,no insurance drivers, and vehicle thefts. In Florida we have a 'No Fault' Law. So people here drive like idiots. If you see a car worth over $20,000.00 chances are they may have the common sense to do their job at work and make the money to pay the monthly payments, but they certainly do not have the common sense or courtesy for a simple thing like driving a motor vehicle. ;)
    Hey Flaaveo, hope your car is as good as new. Sorry to hear about your bad luck with your new car. It seems as though it's the 2004 models that have the problems and somehow the later models were able to be reworked.

I ended contacted GM Customer Support, but was lead to voice mail boxes, which is fine, however no one ever called me back! So with no other options, I ended up contacting a lemon law lawyer about and we'll file a suit. He said that GM will fight it by saying that's a $13,000 car and its common, but it's worth a try. At the least, GM will pay off my loan and I'll be able to get rid of it for something newer and nicer (Thinking about a Fit or Elantra.) I honestly don't care so much about the money as I am getting rid of car; it just doesn't feel safe. :-(
    My car is better than new, thank you. BUT since it seems to upset certain people on to hear about my car, I won't go into it. IF you call the 800 number in your manual that came with the car. You will get a person. I never got a voice mail box. Are you sure you tried THAT 800 number? don't take no reply...even from a voicemail. Call again!
  • jworsleyjworsley Member Posts: 7
    Why dont you look up my posts on a couple of threads here and see how i fixed my problem. I had the same situation however unlike you i didnt give up. Car is fixed, it was a pain in the [non-permissible content removed], but i did get it straight. I also considered the route you are considering but i deemed anymore time was not worth it.
    I was replying to 'Festiboi1' suspension problem,..I don't have any problems with my Aveos suspenion at all.
  • viper83065viper83065 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2004 hatchback Aveo 55000 miles for 5400.00 dollars. Good deal I thought since I was replacing my ford (kia) Festiva. some of you complain about the Aveo being blown all over the road but after owning the festiva for 9 years the Aveo hardly moves in comparison. but with 350,000 miles and still getting 46 mpg i have decided to sell it I never did more than a clutch and a head gasket to it since it was purchased from the dealer a buddy of mine sold it to me and he bought it new so i knew the history. but now your postings had me worried so i went to the chevy dealer and had a guy i know pull the vin in the system and see what problems this car has had. Well the good news is no warranty work has been done just regular maint. but he did tell me about the timing belt. so now with 58000 miles on it i have decided to have them touch the working well Aveo ( this will bite if it starts having problems after the maint.)but the belt is 90 dollars and to install it and the belt they said it would be 160.00 total out the door and they would run a computer diag for me as well. (looking to make a buck i am sure). is this pretty much a common price for this to be done. mine also rides nice but does have the HP255 tires on it. :confuse:
    That's a great price from a Chevy dealer! The closest one to me (since closed) was $525.

Had my own mechanic replace with a water pump for around $330 -- the water pump should be replaced every other belt change.

Finally got new struts today. Since no one other than GM offers them, I finally had to bite the bullet. $300 for the two struts and upper mounts plus $150 to install. Honestly, doesn't feel any different at all. Still have the creaking, popping and rumbling noises and a harsh ride. We'll see after new front tires -- everything else was checked out and is okay. With the mileage I've got (130K), I won't replace anything that isn't worn or broken.
    Real good price on the belt service. Some cars are much higher for this service.

People who have driven small cars before know that windy highway driving will give a wind buffeting effect.
  • jworsleyjworsley Member Posts: 7
    My dealer said they wouldnt charge for the timing belt, but the labor would be around $125. Ive got around 41k now and im still holding out even though GM has recommended to dealer locations that they urge their customers to come in and have it done before the usual 60k. My dealer has had a couple of cases of 45k cars coming in with broken belt so far.

Wave54 regarding your suspension,, as i mentioned before we had to replace both front control arms entirely to stop the creaking and popping. Its even on GM's TSB list as required and it was covered under my warranty. Later we had an additional item that was related to the noise also, a leaky strut. The fixing of the two got rid of all noise. All was covered under warranty.
    as i mentioned before we had to replace both front control arms entirely to stop the creaking and popping. Its even on GM's TSB list as required and it was covered under my warranty

I'm long past any warranty coverage, so I'm keeping an eye on cost -- the creaking is annoying but not unsafe. Plus, it's from all 4 corners of the car, so lower control arms wouldn't help with the rear end.

I'm more concerned with a constant rumble from 0 mph on up and vibration from the front end. Hoping that replacing the worn front tires will help with that -- the front & rear bearings have been checked and are fine. Sounds like the car has knobby off-road tires.
    I must be ignorant. Why is everyone so upset about having to replace their timing belt at 60K miles? And for just a couple of hundred dollars in total? Am I missing something?
    If you dont replace it,if it breaks it ruins your engine...right? So they tell you to replace it at 60K miles and then you are protected for another 60K miles...right? So what is the problem?

I remember the timing belt or chain breaking on my Mercury Tracer,a 1997-98 model,I wasn't driving it,my parents were,and luckily they stopped immediately,or my engine would have been ruined I was told. THAT belt cost over $400 to replace! So I dont understand why everyone is complaining.

That car had only like 45K miles on it. And it had no recommended mileage to change it,that I recall. So why is everyone so upset at this replacement?
  • c118fec118fe Member Posts: 23
  • pbolpbol Member Posts: 15
    Regarding the timing belt issues with these cars,Dont believe all you hear,Many complaints come from dealers and saleman on here trying to degrade the aveo so they will purchase something else,I have asked many people with these cars when i see them,Ask them there milage and to see if they ever replaced the belts,I have run into at least 15 peopel that never ever touched the timing belts,from 72000km to 98000km,So there you have it.Its people that own them ,drive them like race cars,that will break any belt on any car.This gives the reason for most on here replacing them so early 20,25,40 etc kms.Drive it normal and they wont break !The aveo are excellent reliable cars !
    They are upset because they drove the $iss out of their car ,and then the belt breaks,Any car driving like i see them do will break the belt,I have seen lots of aveos and waves with over 78000kms with no new belt.
  • kimbercorekimbercore Member Posts: 3
    hi there
    i would totally LOVE to talk to you in regards to the lemon law and what you know of it.. i feel i am a victim of bad business with my aveo. and i dont know where to turn.
    thank you
  • randydriverrandydriver Member Posts: 262
    For a dealer or saleman to say something like that is really stupid on their part....that would sure drive me to a Yaris or Versa,Fit,Rio,Accent ....not smart on there part.
    There should be lemon law information in your owners manual. You should also be able to find something on that topic on google. The law varies from state to state. Depending on the terms in your state the problem would have to keep repeating itself a certain amount of times before you would qualify.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    You can also drop by our Lemon Law discussion to see if anyone there can help you.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I know They are on forums pushing other products,and not just this forum,It can be any forum related to items.And to say it would be stupid for the saleman to do this,Not really,If they can degrade a car or any product on here saying it has to many problems,that would drive you to look at something else,Dont believe dealers or salesman,They will lie to their own grand mother to sell a car !
  • andy_handy_h Member Posts: 49
    Hey, this could be the next Aveo !

http://us.geocities.com/auto_world_blog/
    Well considering the current 5 door hatchback, and even the sedan, is already sold all over the world, and GM owns the Opel car company already,...and brought over an Opel for Cadillac for a few years as a small luxury car, the 'little Caddy' that was out for a few years in the early 2000's. Bringing THIS car here is easy for them to do. Thats why they brought the 'Kalos' here and slapped on the Aveo name on it. It's known by all sorts of names all over the world. That one looks alot like the Honda Fit. I'd trade mine in on it. IF it really got better mileage. Wonder if they will manage to get REAL 30mpg out of this model??
    I bought a good digital tire pressure indicator and got my Aveo exactly down to the manufacture's recommendation. I notice my mpg and handling improve a little. This will also improve the life of the tires. Just a small advice.
  • rustywprustywp Member Posts: 3
    Hey, I have an Aveo 2006 and the hatch broke in Columbus last month on a Wednesday in the afternoon (I live in Dayton, 80 miles from Columbus). Today, I was at the very same location in Columbus, and the hatch broke again! So, as long as I don't try to open the hatch on a Wednesday in Columbus...LOL!
    Do you need to know how to get it fixed right? Or are you just commenting on an old posting of mine,and how yours is now acting like mine use to..till the dealer finally fixed it right after like 6 tries!? :confuse:
  • grace4evergrace4ever Member Posts: 30
    I just purchased an AVEO as well and owned a Geo Metro just like you. I loved my metro and it was also trouble free. It was a 97 2-dr hatchback 4cyl lsi and has 83,500. Hate to sell it but don't need TWO small cars! Hope I have as good luck with the AVEO.
  • grace4evergrace4ever Member Posts: 30
    Help! what is the correct tire pressure?
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    grace4ever, you've posted this question in several places. I don't know what the correct pressure is, but in this post:
    pf_flyer, "Chevrolet Aveo Tires/Wheels" #7, 17 Jul 2007 11:54 am
    I've pointed out where you should be able to find it.

Your car is a 2007, there SHOULD be a label, either on the door itself, or in the door frame on the driver's side of the car. That label also has information on the proper size tires that the vehicle should use.If it's not there, for whatever reason, a call to your dealer will solve the mystery.
    I saw on another site that the Aveo 5 door will get the same front end of the sedan, along with the sedans interior. The tail-lights also will be changed, but it appears the rest of the car is the same.
  • aladdinsanealaddinsane Member Posts: 182
    Hi Poncho...

What site did you see these changes for the 5 door? I'd like to check it out.

Please inform. I'd sure appreciate it! ;)

Many thanx...

Peace- :D

AladdinSane<--- :shades:
    I saw it on autob--g. Edmunds doesn't want other sites listed. Let me know if you can't figure it out. If you find the site, just type the Aveo information in the search engine.
    Here is another site where I should be able to post this info being they have no forum. The pictures are in disguise.

http://thecarblogger.blogspot.com/2007/07/spied-2008-chevrolet-aveo5-caught.html- -
  • aladdinsanealaddinsane Member Posts: 182
    Hi poncho...

Thanx 4 the info! I appreciate it!! I dug the 4-1-1 with the new 5, and I hope Chevy improves on it soon. What did U think of the "facelift"...?

Chevy could have a real winner with the AVEO line if it only turned on to certain details that peeps want for this little critter of a machine, to keep it more of a competitor for the Fit, Yaris, etc, in the B class. Chevy: WAKE UP!

Peace<-AladdinSane-- :shades:
    It was kind of strange that they chose to not do them at the same time. Though the styling is still very European from which it was styled in Italy, because of the new competing models it was do for some updates. It looks better but im not sure why they didn't refresh the whole car, and why don't they bring the 3-door hatch here as well. The engine in one configuration or another has been around since the 1980's. I had this engine in a different form in my 1988 Pontiac Lemans (Daewoo). They should work on getting a few more mpg out of it. In a sub-compact shoot-out that I saw on MotorWeek TV this past spring, only the Nissan Versa had lower overall mileage during the test.
    Tire Pressure is recommended as 30 PSI for all. You can increase your front tires to 31.
  • richard1hainesrichard1haines Member Posts: 41
    Hi Rober4380, the Suzuki Forenza is a rebadged GMDAT (GM Daewoo Auto-Tech Korea) car sold thru Suzuki USA as a limited partnership agreement with GM. So if you decide on the Forenza you will still be supporting GMDAT with your $$. Also, I think you should compare the upcoming new 2008 AVEO HB to the Forenza and the new AVEO sedan before deciding. I think you'll change your tune - the AVEO is a far better car than the Forenza which is simply an old Daewoo car that hasn't been updated for years and years.
  • richard1hainesrichard1haines Member Posts: 41
    I have my tires at 36 PSI and found an increase in fuel economy. :shades:
    Wow, 36 PSI. If you read the side of the tires, 36 is really not out of spec. But, 36 is kind of hard on the ride and my back. 36 would definetly increase fuel economy.
    Like I have said in several posts. I have mine at 34-36psi as well, to get that 1-2 extra mpg! And to get a more 'German car' feel of a ride,and it feels like your driving...not just pulling the car along behind you. In my opinion. And anything to get more mpg! Geez!! The things we have to do! At 30-32 psi, it is like riding with 4 flats...to me. And the mileage drops real fast at the low 30's. But it gives you a softer and quieter ride. But I would rather get the mileage...if the darn thing would get 30+ mpg in the city, I would drop it to the low 30's.