Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Aveo Hatchback

Comments

• yngwieyngwie Member Posts: 16
    Well they must have improved the Aveos over a couple of years. Mine is a 2007 hatchback. I really like it. I did have to take it in because the wipers would come on and stay on until I removed the fuse.I thought the dealer would treat me like crap as they were selling saabs and buicks,but they were real cool. Fixed it.Warrenty covered it. One mechanic even comented to another that those "Aveos really clean up nice.".I keep the car practicay spotless. I dropped a nice Kenwood cd player with Sirius radio and 4 speakers in it and it sounds great. Only other problem I had(so far) was the where you put the key into to open the door fell into the door and I had to take the panel off to put it back in. They just srcewed it in without a lock washer so I put one on,so hopefully no more of that problem. All in all I like the car alot.Drive 60 miles s dsy bsck and forth to work. About 80% highway and average 32 mpg!I do pop it in nuetral alot down hills!Wanted a Honda fit,but too much money so I settled for the Aveo and am happy with it.
    Cheers,Steve
  • laserbluelaserblue Member Posts: 313
    My daughter ordered a 2010 Aveo 5 and will receive it in the beginning of May.
    She doesn't do to much mileage (250 milles per month) but she wants to go to Florida for her summer vacation in mid July (3000 milles round trip).
    Should she get an oil change done on her Aveo before leaving? (it will probably have about 600 + or - milles on it).
    Do manufacturers still put Break In oil in their engines?
    Do they still have a Break In driving period?
  • bowsersbowsers Member Posts: 14
    She will not need to do anything before she leaves except check the tire pressure. She can get an oil change when she returns.
  • barkydogbarkydog Member Posts: 45
    I see no reason to change the oil with so little mileage.

However, I would strongly urge her to CHECK the oil level RIGHT NOW, before she leaves. My (then) new '09 Aveo was delivered to me with 20 miles on it in November - and lacked 1 quart of oil, brand new, right out of the dealer's inventory.
  • flaaveo22flaaveo22 Member Posts: 11
    Everyone is right. There is no such thing as 'break in oil' anymore. Make sure the oil level is full before she goes. It would be good for her to get off the highway every so often, so that she isn't driving at a constant speed for the entire trip. A new engine should be driven at different speeds, for the first 500 miles or so, to seat the pistons rings or something like that. Try to get her to understand to stay under 50-60mph for the first 500 miles to. I think that it says that in the manual as well.

When she gets back, I would change the oil and filter, and go with synthetic oil, it lasts for a long long time and it does offer a lot of protection to the engine. She could go up to 15K miles between changes, if she uses that kind of oil. With regular oil, you should change it around every 5K miles or so. The manual says 5K or 7.5K miles I believe.

I think of it as 'cheap insurance' to protect the most expensive part of the car. Better to change it to often and avoid sludge or engine wear, than to change it not enough and end up with problems down the road. Mine has lived on synthetic oil and I have had not one single engine problem in almost 4 years now. Let us know how much mileage she gets, and how the car performs on a trip like that....it would be interesting to find out how the new model works,and if it gets the amazing mileage that everyone ,except me gets :) .

If she is coming to Ft.Lauderdale, it is going to be cool/cold for the next 3 nights, then the low 70's the rest of the week...incase you wanted to know. :)
  • nyjets1nyjets1 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2010
    Its funny, When it starts up there is not any noise, but when it warms up the knocking begins. it is loud and does not have a consistant pattern. Ant ideas!!??
  • chevylover7chevylover7 Member Posts: 3
    MY dash light, rear light on right side and my right front runner light is out on 2005 aveo,fuses,bulbs,and switch,ok... anyone know what is causing this problem ? Ty
    there may be another bulb out or fuse that you are not checking, best to go to the dealer and have them check with their computer
  • chevylover7chevylover7 Member Posts: 3
    They have check out all the bulbs and fuses ,from all the reports I have seen on line on this site and others , no real answers. just thought ,,,just maybe someone would have an answer ..
    Does anyone know how to remove the adhesive that is left behind when you remove a set of EXTERIOR applied 'Vent Visors', for the windows? You know, the dark tinted plastic forms that you can apply around the windows, so you can leave them open some, and keep the rain from getting in, and to keep the car a bit cooler during the heat of the summer. I can get the vent visors off easily, but it leaves behind a lot of thick adhesive, on the painted part of the window frame.

I have called Vent Visor and all they came up with is to use rubbing alcohol. I used nearly a full bottle on one window and it didnt take off an inch of it! I had to use more of the adhesive, that I luckily had, to put back on the one I took off. I want to apply the 'IN CHANNEL' type, I can't leave behind all this old adhesive, but I don't want to remove/damage the paint. Does anyone have any idea how to remove this stuff? Or what chemical I can TRY at least, and it won't damage the paint?
  • barkydogbarkydog Member Posts: 45
    Look for a product known as "Bug and Tar Remover". It's been around for decades. It is good for removing nasty stuff from your car's finish and it won't harm the paint..
  • thespeddeerrthespeddeerr Member Posts: 8
    Hello ... I have a Chevy Aveo 1.2 from 2008 ... and I have some problems.
    When I accelerate in 2nd gear i can hear some loud knocks but just in 2nd gear ... i did not get this problem in 1st or 3rd or in any else gear . The car has only 9320 miles what could cause the loud knocking ?
    Bring it in to the dealer as you are still under warrantee
    I still have warranty the check is free ? I checked my suspension no play it is as tight as it was when i got it . I checked my driveshaft that`s ok no play at al only if it`s yanked whit force but even than only a little movement . I checked the engine mount it is ok ... I checked the engine no problems there ... :sick:
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello Thespeddeerr,
    I apologize that you are expereincing a concern with your vehicle. How long has this concern been present? Can you please email me your VIN? You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • stillsmillingstillsmilling Member Posts: 1
    HELP! I have this exact same problem and my car is in for the 11th time...I told them to do something 'different' this time as hooking it back up just doesn't work!!! I am so frustrated. I have a 2006 Aveo are you still having this problem...did they ever permanently fix it?
    Sorry I don`t know what is a "VIN" I`m from romania europe ... i have the problem like from last weekend i gone camping ... my car was full and when the car got empty I was going home and I wanted to catch a green light and i was in 2nd gear and doing 18 mph and i stept on the gas and heard those snapping noises got in 3rd stept on it real hard and then nothing ... today i was coming home and yet again in 2nd gear same noises ... I can`t figure out what could cause them ....
    One guess I have what could started the problem the car was full of people i was going with 55mph and I ran in to a pothole witch I could not avoid ...but when I stopped I checked the wheel no damage and the wheel had no play ... and the noise appeared only in 2nd gear ...
    Hello Stillsmiling,
    I apologize that you are still experiencing a concern with your vehicle. Can you please email me more information about your situation including your current mileage and VIN? You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc. Thank you,
    Hello Thespeddeerr,
    Sorry when is said VIN it stands for vehicle identification number. Unfortunately, I cannot diagnose your vehicle over the internet. However, we have customer service agents that can assist you further in your concern with your vehicle. To contact an agent in Romania, this is the site with the information. http://www.chevrolet.ro/ajutor/ If you have any further questions please let me know. Thank you,
    Thank you for the help !
    You 're welcome! :)

-Mariah GM Customer Service
    I`ts my driveshaft... does someone know how much does a driveshaft costs ?
    Hello Thespeddeerr,
    Unfortunatly, I am not sure of the cost of one in Europe. I don't have that information available to me. Thank you,
  • orbit9090orbit9090 Member Posts: 116
    ----------

Would be much more intelligent to support the American-factory-worker than some overpaid, fat-cat middle-manager. Focus on where the car is sourced and assembled - not on whichever country the marble offices are located.

Regardless, there is zero "profit" to be made on a car like an Aveo, except maybe by a slick sales-person who tricks you into some $2,000 wax job or scam 'warranty'.

------------

• orbit9090orbit9090 Member Posts: 116
    ----------

Would be much more intelligent to support the American-factory-worker than some overpaid, fat-cat middle-manager. Focus on where the car is sourced and assembled - not on whichever country the marble offices are located.

Regardless, there is zero "profit" to be made on a car like an Aveo, except maybe by a slick sales-person who tricks you into some $2,000 wax job or scam 'warranty'.

------------

"StillSmilling'....I got the hatch finally fixed, 99.9% of the time LONG ago. I got pissed at the crappy repair work that I kept getting at my Chevy dealer. So I CALLED Chevys customer service toll free number, and I bitched to high heaven. I was over it! While I got the 'standard' , 'I am so sorry for your troubles sir' answer but, they contacted my dealer, and at the time I called, I guess Chevy was doing some kind of 'Best in Service' contest between all the dealers, so they bent over backwards to kiss my butt, and fix it..It took 3 more times, a total of 17 tries!!! And from what I recall, all they had to do was REPLACE, not 'FIX' or 'reattach' the rod to the handle. It needed an entire new assembly. Probably cost $10, but Chevy was to cheap to replace it UNDER WARRANTY, until I bitched and bitched to their head office.

But it works now on the first try, 99.9% of the time. Every so often, when it is really hot, here in south Florida, I have to still give it a minor hit right above the handle, on the car, the plastic strip that is right above the license plate and the handle for the hatch. I had to do it today. They say it is because the heat is SO hot, the plastic parts on the hatch release 'rod and handle', gets soft and it stretches and it wont open the hatch. To me its to much damn plastic, and not enough metal !!! But it is fixed. and it is long out of warranty,so it better stay fixed. Or I will get into it with a rock through the glass !!
    My aveo has something like that ... when the car stands in the sun and get`s hot it won`t open . But If u apply a little bit off pressure whit your on the door where the locking mecanism is it opens easily . I don`t want to force it ... It would be bad if I`d break it. And my rear seat belts on the left are tangled and they are unusable and I can`t fix it because I can`t fold the seats forward because the belt is tangled in the seat and I cant acces thew bolts ... I have to take it back to the dealer ...
  • donsaveo2009donsaveo2009 Member Posts: 3
    Unfortunately, that is the bane of the hatchbacks...it seems that maybe the latch or its corresponding lock bar could be adjusted or shimmed to alleviate the not opening issue...a couple of washers under either part at the mounting bolts or screws, if applicable, should fix the problem for a few pennies out of pocket without sacrificing the overall integrity of the hatch or the seal...
    I know this has been asked like 100 times, including by me .But I am putting Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic into my car today. I have been getting FREE oil changes from the dealer for the past year,thanks to my complaining about the dealers terrible service and attitude towards me. But it has been plain old Dino oil. I was always using Synthetic till then. Anyway. What is THE answer of Syn. VS Dino oil. How long can you let FULL Synthetic oil stay in the engine, VS Dino oil? I mean Dino oil I would still change at 3-5,000 miles. I know some Synthetics can go 25K miles between changes, but this is just top shelf Synthetic, not super top shelf Synthetic oil. How long can it stay in the engine and not be changed? I know to change the filter at 3K miles,and top off the oil,but at nearly 2-3 times the price,I thought a GOOD Synthetic would last like 7-15K miles. Is that right or wrong?

OR do you go by TIME, not mileage? I now have 16,500 miles on my 2006 automatic HB. I have changed the oil on my own at least ten times,and the dealer now about 5 times. I figure it is cheap insurance to keep the engine clean and running. So far it has! But, now that I am going back to full Synthetic oil,and it is a better Synthetic, so I read, and a top grade filter, how long can it stay in there? I drive so little, do I go by miles, or by time, or what? What is THE answer? I know there is a new Castrol 'Edge' Synthetic oil that says it is good for 25K miles! But it is also like $8 a quart! I got 5 quarts of this oil,and a top shelf filter on sale for $25. I wanted to go back to Synthetic, even though I could get regular Dino oil changes for free from the dealer for 1 more year. So....opinions? Is it time, or is it mileage, or what?
    I dont recall if I replied to this problem or not. But I finally got my hatch lever fixed, after like 17 visits to the dealer, because it wouldn't open. IF you are still under warranty, TELL them to fix it, it is under warranty, and you want it fixed! They finally fixed mine, after I had GM customer service call the dealer, and they told them to FIX IT!. They kept the car for 1 night, gave me a free loaner for the night, they SAY they replaced the entire lever kit that is IN the hatch. They said that the plastic parts that work the lever would get hot in the Florida heat,stretch out, and not activate the lever. So they must have put in some metal parts instead of plastic, because it has only NOT worked like 2-3 times since they fixed it like nearly a year ago I think. Then to open it, if you get stuck, just give it a light 'punch' right above the handle, and it will open up for you. Hope that helps. CALL GM Customer service and complain loudly! And it will get fixed.
    Dont forget to change the transmission fluid. If you plan on keeping this AVEO for a long time then change the transmission fluid at 20,000 miles. Also change the timing belt at 30,000 miles.
  • puffin1puffin1 Member Posts: 276
    They actually monitored this forum.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Yep, the manufacturers do hang around here!
    I'm looking forward to buy a 2011 Aveo 5 2 LT and would like to have some previews of owners before making my move.
    We already own a 2010 HHR and don't want to trade it in.
    We're both in our mid 50's, kids are gone, we're both self employed and operate a daycare at home.
    The Aveo would be our 2nd car because my wife always wanted to own her own car (long time dream).
    Need help.
    I'm looking forward to buy a 2011 Aveo 5 2 LT and would like to have some previews of owners before making my move.
    We already own a 2010 HHR and don't want to trade it in.
    We're both in our mid 50's, kids are gone, we're both self employed and operate a daycare at home.
    The Aveo would be our 2nd car because my wife always wanted to own her own car (long time dream).
    Need help.
  • tomwalttomwalt Member Posts: 14
    laserblue - My 2009 has served me well - not a single warrenty issue. I also have a 2007 NOX that has been a very good car and I recall you had many years of complaints on that forum.
    You're right, I had a 2005 Equinox and traded it for a 2010 HHR 2LT.
    Very satisfied with the HHR, fun to drive and economical.
    Now my wife always dreamed to own her personal car ??? and she seems to like the Aveo 5. I don't know why we would have 2 cars because we are self employed and working at home. I guess it more like "Finally realizing her long time dream". Life is short and we're in our mid 50's so...why not?
    Our daughter has one (2008 Aveo 5) and loves it, no problems with it either but she uses it just for little errands around town...no highway driving.
    Thanks for the reply.
  • sandyriversandyriver Member Posts: 16
    My Pontiac wave LT (the Canada-only equivalent of Chevy Aveo) has oddly sized tires. P185/55R15. I haven't had much luck finding reaonably priced tires. I received a couple of suggestions for alternate sizes P195/55R15 and P205/50R15.

Did anyone else consider alternative sizes? Any experience you can share?

Thanks,

sandy.
    Could try checking on www.tirerack.com

Make a search by entering the details of your car and you'll see all the tire companies that sells that size and their tire reviews.

What year is your Pontiac Wave?
    How do you like your car in general?
    Winter/snow driving?
    Hello laserblue, thanks. I already checked tirerack.com. Unfortunately most of those brands are not available north of the border, here in Canada. :-( . I'm more or less resigned to moving to an alternate size, 195/55R15.

My Wave5 is 2006. I like the car overall. Handles well in snow, thanks to the winter wheels that I invested in. A lot more stable than the other small cars that I've driven. Feels more spacious than most compacts. Some squeaks and rattles, typical of GM. Highway mileage is good. City mileage is poor, particularly with the snow tires on, in cold weather.

I had to change the selenoid switch in an unscheduled way. Other than that, just the regular maintenance.

sandy.
    Thanks for your reply (sandyriver).

Yes our fuel economy surely takes a drop in our Canadian Winters, driving through snow and cold weather.
    I live 100 km of the U.S. border and unfortunately lots of brands of tires (and other car stuff) are not available in Canada.
    I had to do the same as you when bying winter tires for my 2005 Equinox, couldn't find any...had to go with a alternate size.
    Had no choice, in our Province winter tires became "mandatory".
    It's the law or else....300$ fine.
  • graceforever12graceforever12 Member Posts: 1
    Seriously? I have 35,000 on my 2007 Aveo. do I need to have the timing belt replaced and the transmission fliuid changed? Please let me know. :D
    I would change the timing belt ASAP so that you dont get stuck on the highway with a $2000 repair job! Go to a Chevy dealer and check all the fluids as well.
    edited April 2011
    The GM maintenance schedule says "inspect timing belt" at around 30k and replace at around 60k. Having to change timing belt at 30k miles seems to be too much to ask of the owners.

speaking for myself, I changed all the fluids, changed the spark plug and wires at 30k. I took the mechanic's word that the timing belt was ok. Hopefully, I won't regret it.

- sandy.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    A reporter is looking to interview anyone with a GM vehicle that doesn't seem to accurately read fuel levels.
    Please email pr@edmunds.com Friday, April 29, 2011 to share your story.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• rjewelrjewel Member Posts: 6
    Yes, I bought another Aveo. Problems thus far, check engine light started coming on at less than 9000 miles. Took it in and was told they'd have a service bulletin this has been a problem and they had to "reset a computer module." Just wondering, anyone having other issues with their 2010 Aveo? So far, other than the driver side front tire cover which kept coming off after being replaced...coyote decided to run clear across the other side of the interstate one night, wondering if a roadrunner was involved...no probs thus far. It doesn't seem to get quite as good gas mileage as my 2004 Aveo either.
  • mia_brunomia_bruno Member Posts: 3
    cool, I also decided to buy one. 2005 Chevy Aveo Automatic LS. $5,000 Basic Model.
  • mia_brunomia_bruno Member Posts: 3
    I'm 103k and it runs beautifully well. It's overdue for the timing belt and many fluid changes. 1st x car owner, and I plan on spoiling it with the the synthetics. I plan on using for as long as humanly possible.