Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Aveo Hatchback

Comments

• poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    All I was able to find was the manual on cd for $100.

http://www.service-bulletins.com/product_info.php?cPath=40&products_id=63
  • chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    One of the car magazines, C&D or MT ,can't remember which shows the rear of the restyled Aveo 4 door sedan. It said that it would be assembled in China for U.S. sale.. Has anyone seen what the Hatch will look like? I could care less what the sedan looks like. I also read in a european magazine that GM has been working on its Daewoo engines. The ones they use in the Mantz have been totally updated. Gas mileage has jumped over five mpg. Here is hoping that they update the 1.6 we get here. In the UK it is rated at 110 hp. Ours is what? 103.

Someone posted about electric shock... static shock. I had a Neon that zapped the crap out of anyone getting out. Blue flash shock. It has something to do with the seat material. Body movement on the seat was like rubbing your feet on carpet. ZAP.
    I used spray static remover for cloths... It helped a lot...stinks..but a lot less painful. :D
  • kenscrazywife2kenscrazywife2 Member Posts: 3
    Yes I just bought my Key Lime 2005 Sunday. Really great color. I have seen a several lime green cars but not the same shade as mine. I will try to get some pictures of it soon. Once again I love the color.

As far as that goes I love the whole car. It is great going around the mountains where I live. The car really holds curves great. The way I see it is if it can hang in there with me driving around in it this will be a great car for anyone else. ;)
    was that a 2005 or 2004 that seems a little high. In TN where I bought my 2005 it was 10404.00 but after taxes and stuff back up to 11 :confuse:
    TN ? SC?
  • sparxxxsparxxx Member Posts: 14
    Cool, I've been looking for some key lime aveos' around here (North Carolina) but so far haven't seen any. Just curious, what trim level did you buy? Also, did you get auto or 5 speed, and how is the acceleration?

thanks
  • tventtvent Member Posts: 17
    I am picking up my new Aveo tomorrow, my first new car. What are the main things I should check for before I drive the care off the lot? know of any good on-line sources for new car check-in, care?
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    tvent?

Check your clock and watch it's timeliness. You seem to have about a 75% chance of your clock malfunctioning. Other than that you should be fine.

BTW-that's a small price to pay for all of the great value you just bought in your Aveo. Daewoo has done theirselves proud on this one, dudes.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    is about the only Korean car you can find anywhere near Pierre. Given any thought to buying one of those rather than a Scion Kia or Hyundai when the Sportage gets to the end of the line?
    funny you should inquire on that! Probably since I do disclose often on Edmunds my likes and dislikes (like most of us regulars here do) in new cars and just what might fit into our life.

Besides our '01 Sportage 4x4 I have seen two or three other Sportage's around here and even one model like mine for sale in a local lot. South Dakota, like Missouri, is definitely GM territory. Lots of big pick-em-up trucks and SUV's. Ford pick-em-ups are popular here as well.

I have considered an Aveo but am leaning towards an xA, Spectra5 or new world order Kia Sportage next. I continue to be impressed by my '01 Sportage, though. Kia was stamping them out right in that last era of Sportage's, they done it well, dudes.

• chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    You want to know why GM USA is sinking...It is because all the smart cookies are in Europe! You all probably remember that I posted a thread on the 3 door Aveo/Kalos that Chevy sells in Europe. Well now I read not only are they getting the 3 door but they are getting a 140 hp 2.0L 4 cylinder!! What gives. So they have the diesel, the 1.2 and the 1.4 ,1.6 and now a 2.0 to choose from. The photo that was shown had the car with black leather interior with red inserts in the seats. Very sharp. We are stuck with tupperware gray. :mad:
  • randydriverrandydriver Member Posts: 262
    I know how you feel. One time I heard a G.M. head honcho say the reason we dont get choice on the engines on the smaller cars is because Americans dont want choices.......What a load of b.........I might have wanted the 1.4 or a diesel or a choice of interior colors like we use to get. What world do these Bozo's live in.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Your post and question has been moved to a new discussion Chevy Aveo Modifications in our Speed Shop: Tuning & Modification board.
    I picked up my new Aveo a few days ago. The only thing that I have noticed is that sometimes when I am cruising at 60 or so, I feel like the motor is not running "totally" smooth. It seems like I feel a noise/vibration in the seat, not a "bad" or excessive noise/vibration and I am not sure if it is anything at all. It does not get worse at higher speeds, but I do not notice it when I am accelerating or going 30. I have noticed it on different stretches of pavement. It is almost as if there is a sequence of high low high low frequency vibrations being made by the car which are very very subtle. Unless I am listening/feeling for it, I do not notice it. I am almost sure someone else that drives the car for the first time would not notice, at least right away, unless I point it out. Is this just how the motor runs?
  • parky129parky129 Member Posts: 50
    I have had my Aveo since Nov 04 and have over 10,000 mi on it, occasionally I notice road surface induced feedback in the form of an unusual vibration if you will call it that. But it is occasional and only on different roads, I notice the same feel when I again go over the same streach of road. The car is a light small car and you can expect to feel things from road surface differently than in a more road isolated vehicle. Overall the car is a gem, had no problems with it since purchase except for a tire bulge warrantied by manufacturer. Unlike other new vehicles that spent more time in the dealer than in my driveway.
  • ctferrebeectferrebee Member Posts: 1
    I purchased an Aveo LT Hatchback in mid-March. So far the car has been pretty good but lately I have some serious quality concerns. I to have experienced the clock issue which is not a big deal. What is a big deal is the dealership has had the car for 3 days now because it needs a new valve cover gasket and A.C. compressor. The car only has 6000 miles on it and it's driven mostly on the freeway. This is pretty serious in my opinion due to the fact that it has never been driven hard and has synthetic oil in the engine(my choice). If this is happening this soon with such a low mileage what will happen after the warranty expires?
    I would advise all on this forum to check UNDER the big plastic shroud on the engine for oil sludge build up. I haven't seen a gasket give out this soon since the early 80's when production quality was much lower on cars. The AC compressor issue is odd also. It started making a loud whirring noise when I ran it in 90 degree heat. Like the internal bearings got cooked. I thought that's why you had AC in your car. It's not like I ran it for 8 hours straight in stop and go, only about a half hour. Lastly, I have never owned a car that the brakes squeeked so much on in my life. Maybe it's the brake pad material itself installed at the factory. I will give updates on the repairs. I have read these forums for a while now and this is my first post. I'm starting to think that this is why GM is treating the Aveo like a "red-headed step child".
    After reading your concerns I went to look at my car. I bought it about the 17th for march and have got close to 6000 mile on it myself and use the air alot now that summer has hit.
    No oil is to be seen....thats good, and still no clock problem....but my compressor does roar alittle so I think I will have that checked.... Brakes are fine.
    Thanks for bringing that to our attention..
    There are alot of other new cars out there with more problems....
  • dkuhajdadkuhajda Member Posts: 487
    Just FYI, you might have caused the oil leak by switching to synthetic too soon.
    Synthetic has a tendency to leak through new seals and then they will not form and seat properly. My mechanic recommends waiting until at least the third oil change at 12K before switching to synthetic.

Ask the shop about the ac compressor, and make sure a rock did not hit and cause a slow leak up front.
    i've thought that running the same oil would be best also. but do you really think running synthetic would cause such a problem? what's the difference?
    I use to think the same think until seeing it demonstrated.
    In the Aveo, the gaskets are made of a specific material that is designed to swell when in contact with the surfaces and oil along with the heat.

When you use synthetic, it is a much thinner oil when the engine is cold. Since the seals have not had enough time to properly seat and seal to the new surface, the oil can start to seep past the seal. Once the leak is started the seals cannot seat properly. This is not the case on all types of seals in use. My mechanic uses a high temperature o-ring sealant on all rubber type of seals used. He says it provides a good tight seal from the beginning until the seal finally seats itself tight to both surfaces. I had a Geo Metro that would constantly leak out the distributor; it used a big rubber o-ring and had been replaced several times and still leaked. Last time I liberally coated it with o-ring sealant and viola, it did not leak again.

It is also very possible that during manufacture there was some defect with the seal used on your specific engine. Hence the reason you have a warranty. There is always a small percentage of defects during manufacturing no matter who is making the car.

The a/c compressor could have been damaged by a slow leak in the system caused by an errant rock (I had a Plymouth Horizon A/C do the same thing in 1989). It is also possibly that it was just one of the random defects in the system.
    The synthetic oil was the first thing that came to mind when you mentioned the leak. I agree that it was too early to use. I would have let the engine break in longer, but ultimately, I would not use synthetic in anything but racing engines. Too me it's a big waste of money with little return.

Some mechanics do not even use valve cover gaskets, they use the form-a-gasket blue lube made by Permetex.
  • jlandmarkjlandmark Member Posts: 10
    I have had my aveo for about 1.5 years now and i have 40000 KMs on it i think that is about 20000 miles!!!!! In the first 6 months i had it it had lots of problems all sorts of misfires and such or so they claimed!! But now it is running very smoothly I will have to take it in for it's 45000 oil change here shortly. Would you guys recomend going to a synthetic oil???
    Time to use Synthetic oil: 1. You want to extend regular oil changes an extra couple of thousand miles. 2. The high temperature is expected to stay below 0 deg C, 32 F for an extended period of time. 3. The low temperature for the day is expected to stay above 80 deg F, 27 deg C for an extended period of time. 4. You regularily drive the car hard and get the engine very hot.

Otherwise the extra cost is usually not worth it if you still will be changing your oil every 3,000 miles or so.
  • jeffdavisjeffdavis Member Posts: 11
    Hello everyone -- thought you would like to know about the 06 Aveo models. I just ran across the info on www.carquotes.com. Assuming that it is true, GM has been listening to its customers. According to the site, all models will have seat-mounted side air bags standard. A/C will now be optional on the SVM model (dealer installed). The LS model will gain 6-speaker sound, 15 inch alloy wheels, fog lamps, and (are you ready for this) a cruise control & remote keyless entry package as options. The LT get the cruise/keyless package as standard equipment, along with new satin chrome accents on the instrument panel, and new 15 inch alloy wheels. There will also be a newly-styled 14 inch alloy wheel. Unfortunately, still no arm rest for the driver. I am interested in buying an Aveo, but now will definitely be waiting for the 06 model because there are major improvements to me (especially the side air bags & cruise control). If you want to see for yourself, click on the "research" tab, and search by manufacturer.
    It sounds like some really good improvements. I like the optional 15" wheels, cruise, and side air bags. The cruise is a simple aftermarket option if needed.

The arm rest doesn't really interest me. My last three vehicles, including my current Chevy S10, don't have arm rests, and I never missed it. Keep your hands on the steering wheel.
    I went to carqoates but the is no research tab.......am I going to the right place???
    It's carquotes, not carqoates.
    yes I know that.
  • canroccanroc Member Posts: 5
    Yes, the resale value is low. I have been trying to sell my 2004 Aveo Hatchback LS. I am now down to a $7500 asking price. I love the car but need to sell because I have three vehicles and a motorcycle.. just too many to maintain, wash, and insure. For practical reasons I need to keep my new truck and my '99 Intrepid.
    ...but I have been advertising for eight weeks now and not even a nibble. I recommend all to buy used rather than new.. let others take the depreciation hit.
    The changes are listed on www.carquotes.com. Click on "Research" in the yellow bar. Then search by "Browse manufacturers", then model, etc. Click on the 2006 Aveo. There are also more 2006 models, including the 06 Focus & the new Mazda 5 wagon.
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    How much did you pay, and where are you selling? 5-spd or auto?
    I paid $12,400 in March 2004. The msrp was $14,035.

I live in Rochester, NY

This is a 2004 Aveo hatchback LS with usual stull (cd/mp3 player, power locks etc) and alloy wheels and spoiler.
    Is it a 5-speed or a slushbox?
    It has a 4 speed automatic transmission.
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    It's a little scary that you can't get $7500 for that car. Are you sure your car is an LS? Our 2004 Aveo is a base model, which was called an LS for 2005. What is blue book?
  • blendblend Member Posts: 4
    Im thinking about buying an Aveo but is wondering how it handles in snow and rain. Is there much control? Thanks in advance.
    I drove mine from Dallas to OKC in the spring and it rained all the way and it was great.
  • jlandmarkjlandmark Member Posts: 10
    I live in calgary alberta, and i drive my car all year round and it handles great in the snow a little light but for traction a handleing it is really good, as for rain i have directional tires on my car for spring/summer and they are great but the onl;y thing i would recomend would be to get some different tires put on the car the factory ones are not the greatest, exspecially to replace
  • doohickiedoohickie Member Posts: 949
    Good changes; the cruise control is kind of a show stopper for me. I knw you can get aftermarket, but I prefer factory.

Is this basically the same car as the Suzuki Aerio? I've test driven one of those. I realize the Suzuki has a lot more power with the 2.3L. I will be getting an AT, so I wonder if the 1.6 will be enough (of course, the Scion hatches have the same problem).

canroc: You said your 04 Aveo has the AT? How do you find the acceleration? Is it adequate, or does it have trouble getting out of its own way? How has the car performed so far (reliability, etc.)?
    With respect shorting/shocking; one thing that will help is to put a ground strap on your car. It hangs from the frame down to the ground and serves as a path for static charge. You can get them at Pep Boys, etc., for a few bucks and they're easy to install.
    No, it's GM-Daewoo and a subcompact. If you lived in Canada it would be the same as a Suzuki Swift+.
    Suzuki Swift is a Daewoo? I never new that...
    The new Swift being sold in Canada is indeed the same Daewoo as the Chevy Aveo. This is not to be confused with the Suzuki Swift sold up until I think 2002 that was also sold as a Geo/Chevy Metro and Pontiac Firefly.
    and I think they should have named the new Daewoo Kalos for Canada something else besides Swift. If you understand the cars involved and their manufcturer's and names, fine.

Some people could think that Chevy or Suzuki or somebody else makes the new Suzuki Swift sold new in Canada.

Maybe it's only a problem for us car nuts who like to know the historicity of cars and their makes, eh? I and several other Edmunds regulars discussed online the fall of Daewoo for months and, yes, years online here at Edmunds. Therefore, I feel that the cars they made should be called Daewoo's and traced to the proper manufacturer. :D

Why? In this age of global manufacturing. Many GM cars today have engines made in China by Shanghai motors. Transmissions made by someone else. Assembled in a GM plant. Ford is much the same way. So who really is making those cars?

It really boils down to who is going to support and repair the car after it is sold, not who made it. That is all that really matters the the buyer. Where it breaks down is in cases like the Pontiac Lemans that was made by Daewoo. Daewoo made it using GMs specifications and plans. GM accepted the car for sale. GM did not train the dealer service network how to properly service the car initially as it used totally modern engine management and control compared to the outdated GM offerings at the time. GM also had a problem with the dealers service departments bad mouthing the car to customers early on because it was not American made. GM totally screwed the whole deal up by not ensuring proper after sale support.

Now we have the AVEO, a decent quality of several generation of quality updates Daewoo. Still a very inexpensive car in todays market. At least the dealers are trained on working on the current generation of GM engine control system used in the car. At least there has been several years of GM outsourcing for some of the bad blood with regard to non-American-union made product. GM is marketing the car as an entry level commuter car. Despite many of GM's management screw ups the last several years, bringing in the Aveo as an entry level car does not appear to be one of them.
    Back to the original Aveo-Aerio confusion. I looked at the Aerio (which I liked a lot) but rejected it because I figure that Suzuki will be dropping all cars in favor of Daewoos and concentrating on SUV's (plus sales are abysmal despite the big improvements). I chose the Maxx and the additional money spent (very little really) got me a lot more car.

As for the Aveo, I drove the car and if Daewoo could get its act together for shift linkage I might be interested for a second car. The Aveo is a better car than it's Kia and Hyundai competitors but that will probably change later this year when the new Accents and Rios are released. The new Chinese Kalos/Aveo looks like a big improvement for the 4-door, I hope they continue the hatch. Sorry about the lack of an Accent hatch but the new Rio5 looks nice.
    generation of Aveo's Chevy will import (from where I don't know) and the new generation Aveo looks really inviting-I'll be taking a good online look at it, at least.

It's true that cars are assembled now gathered up from lands afar and they are just put together by a manufacturer at the final stage of the process. They do, in my instance, for example, bear the Kia name, and are warranted very nicely by Kia for me. Even though the parts come from all over and are shared technology, the body design is a manufacturer's own, and, as was stated, the customer support and dealer service is also bearing that manufacturer's name, even though we all know that the manufacturer doesn't own the dealer of the product we buy. I still feel that he experience is entertwined.

The fact that it's now a shared process, though, ironically, is part of what led me to try a Kia product out instead of Ford's. I was on my second Escort in a row when I decided on a '99 Kia Sephia. Anyhoo, back to the Chevy Aveo hatchback. The view of the next-gen Aveo I saw was of an Aveo 4-door sedan. I think it's gonna be assembled in China. Somebody get back to us on this, K? :D

This is in fact a 2004 LS model.. power locks, power windows, CD/MP3 player, etc. etc.. as well as alloy wells and spoiler. I have it for $7,500 in cars.com and carsoup.com, ran it for a week in the local Rochester, NY paper and am getting no calls.. I think it is just a bad time to sell used cars. Maybe it is just he mindset of Rochestarians in regards to small cars.. I know it would sell in a minute in Toronto where I used to live. In the meantime I continue to drive it. I have snow tires for the Aveo and found it handled well in the snow when I used those. The only thing I would criticize about the Aveo is that it is a bit hard to handle in very strong winds at highway speed. The bluebook value is $8,800.. which makes me wonder why it does not even generate interest at my advertised price of $7,500.
  • ratsoferrariratsoferrari Member Posts: 20
    Yeah, I think it may be the soft market for used cars that is the problem.Two used car dealers down the street just closed up because of slow sales.My friend who is a used car dealer stopped because of slow sales.The current incentives on new cars don't help the used car market either.Have you advertised on a college campus? I'm sure you would have some buyers there since it is a great price with all the options in it.