Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Malibu Oil Changes/Service Questions

1235»

Comments

• cmhj2000cmhj2000 Member Posts: 381
    If you read your owners manual you'll see the oil filter is not in the pan! It's a top mounted cartridge filter.
  • wizard55wizard55 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the information and I have read my owners manual and the only reference to the oil filter I've found in it is the oil filter part numbers!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    TIP: Use a GM oil filter for this car, not some chain store brand. If you don't you may experience engine noise. Also get the right filter wrench.

Engine Oil and Oil Filter Replacement

Tools Required

J 44887 Oil Filter Wrench

Removal Procedure

1. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle.
    2. Place a drain pan under the oil drain plug.

3. Remove the oil pan drain plug. Important: DO NOT use an open end wrench on the hex on top of the oil filter cap.
    4. Use a J 44887 to remove the oil filter cap.

5. Remove the oil filter cap with filter.
    6. Remove the filter from the cap.
    1. Install the filter to the cap.
    2. Install the oil filter cap with filter. Notice: Over torquing the oil filter cap may cause damage to the oil filter cap resulting in an oil leak. Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice. Important: DO NOT use an open end wrench on the hex on top of the oil filter cap.
    3. Use a J 44887 on the oil filter cap. Tighten the oil filter cap until fully seated. DO NOT exceed 25 N.m (18 lb ft).
    4. Install the oil pan drain plug. Tighten the oil pan drain plug to 25 N.m (18 lb ft).
    5. Lower the vehicle.
    6. Fill the engine with oil. Refer to Fluid and Lubricant Recommendations.
  • walpatwalpat Member Posts: 1
    Recently bought a 2009 Malibu w/electric ps----no helpful info at all in owners manual about handling in event of failure.Any advice on this possibility
  • gonogogonogo Member Posts: 879
    If it just loses power you can still steer, same as hydraulic, just harder to steer. If you get a lock up, which I have never experienced, just stop the car.
    I owned a 2004 Malibu, ran it 44K with EPS and never a problem. I now own a 2009 Pontiac G6 with EPS, so I am not too concerned. From experience I do have 5 yr 50 K bumper to bumper warranty LOL.
    The J 44887 can be replaced with a 6 point 1 1/4 inch socket. Tell more about the engine noise with a aftermarket filter. SuperTech filters are made by Champion, GM buys filters from the supplier with the cheapest price.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    GM had a couple of TSBs out about aftermarket filters and how they have been causing lifter noise. Apparently there are some actual counterfeit "brand names" finding their way into the aftermarket supply chain.

Maybe GM buys cheap, but even so the filters are to GMs specs.

Here's a scary statement from GM:

"Engine damage that is the result of an incorrect or improperly installed engine oil filter is not a warrantable claim"
    Strange you mention lifter noise, my 09 G6 2.4 with 200 miles, the other day driving off cold I heard the lifters rattle. I figured no big deal, I have never owner a GM engine that didn't lifter rattle at one time or another. 2.2, 3.5 now 2.4.
    I will look into this filter thing a bit more, thanks, interesting.
    I am going to go mostly by GM oil life system, probably will be a year before a change is needed.
  • malexbumalexbu Member Posts: 169
    This is a ridiculous and completely baseless statement. Or give us
    some facts.
    Are you OK, what are you posting about.
  • sean74sean74 Member Posts: 18
    I have a 2005 Malibu about 48k miles. Chevy dealer told me that I need transmission flush, induction service, and mass air flow cleaning. Here is the price list,

Transmission flush: $206
    Induction service: $154
    MAFC:$88.

Are those service necessary, are those prices reasonable???
    Thank you very much for your advice.
  • butch100butch100 Member Posts: 28
    The manual call for a tranny fluid service@ 100K but if you drive it a lot in traffic or in hot climates it's not a bad idea to get it changed. My dealer quoted me $175 for it. The induction cleaning is just cleaning out the throttle body and mass air flow sensor cleaning I wouldn't worry about either, if it get dirty and throws a code then yea, but these days dealers are surviving a lot on service jobs as new sales have dried up so they come up with a lot of stuff like this..
  • sean74sean74 Member Posts: 18
    I just changed rear brake pads of my 2005 Malibu. As of today I have changed rear pads twice. One at 22k, and toady at 48k. I was very upset.

I bought it in August 2005. In November 2007, I changed rear pads because one of a pair completely worn out while others looked like new. Chevy dealer didn’t explain what was wrong. I strongly suspected that something was wrong. Today, they told me that it needs change again because they are almost worn out. For safety reason I changed them. But they still did not give me a satisfying explanation. They just told me it is normal.

Thank you very much for your advice on this matter.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    agree with the previous poster....if you arent set on the dealership...many places will do the transmission flush cheaper...not knowing where you are, in Northern VA..just had mine done at Merchants Tire and Battery for $120....for my 04 Maxx w 150K on it.....did it at 100K and will do it every 50K now on with the mileage on it...good luck
    Wow, 150K, how's the Maxx holding up? any major repairs yet?.
    other than normal wear and tear....third set of brakes...fourth set of tires, two batteries.....all of which include OEM sets.....and a few other things..bulbs and wiper blades, air filters.....only one major repair....right front tire rod at about 135K.....all in all nothing else....just routine maintenance per the owners manual...and syth old changes every 7K....using pennzoil platnium syth.......
  • newmalibuownernewmalibuowner Member Posts: 1
    I need help. After reading everything I could find, I still can't find the oil filter on a 2007 Chevy Malibu. I hear it is on the top left of the engine and the cap needs to be unscrewed, but I still can't find it. Anyone have any helpful ideas?
    Is it the 4 or 6 cylinder engine?, mine's the 6, the oil filter is on bottom just brhind the radaitor and easy to reach, the 4 I don't know about..
    On the 4-cyl: a big black plastic cup with a big hexagon protruding from the top.

butch100: I got a 2006 Maxx and found the oil filter but have no clue how easy it
    would be for me to change the oil there (I do it myself in my 2.2L Malibus). Did you do it? How easy it is? Will an oil drop pan fit well under the filter letting me to unscrew it? Do I need a wrench or a hand will do it?
  • e_net_ridere_net_rider Member Posts: 1,380
    On I4, I have to wonder how much of a mess will occur. I can only hope that most of the oil will drain back to the pan once the cover is removed or it will require a bit of cleaning to get all the drips. I looked at a filter the other day and it did not have the built in anti-backflow valve. Either there is not one or it is built into the engine.
  • rjcamprjcamp Member Posts: 4
    On I4, I have to wonder how much of a mess will occur.

No mess at all: changing oil in I4 is a piece of cake and the five
    quarts last a lot (about 7,000 miles by the DIC).
    . Use a J 44887 to remove the oil filter cap on my 2007 2.2. malibu?.
    I want to use synthetic any recomanditions on an oil?
    I have used both mobil 1 and pennzoil platinum sythn 5w-30 in my 04 Maxx LT.....158k and going strong...change per the GMOL which averages out between 6.5-7K miles between changes...
    Thanks for the info I'm not sure of the lingo GMOL Did you use a gm filter ?
    I just use, I believe, a 30mm socket I bought at Sears. :shades:
    From reading various discussions on oils, I concluded that no one
    really knows if oil A is better than oil B if A and B are both
    synthetics. Determining a winner would require a regular chemical
    analysis correlated with many cars' driving patterns. Both Mobil and
    Castrol advertise their synthetic oils as the best, as do smaller
    vendors -- see e.g.

http://www.alternative-energy-resources.net/mobil-1.html

You can't go wrong with Mobil One -- at least, for Malibu.
    But you won't go wrong with Castrol's Syntec, either.

Your car will die from something else before it dies from picking
    an inferior synthetic oil, if there is any.
    I use 32-mm for 2.2L Ecotec in Malibu 2005 -- should be the same in
    2007, I believe.

Consider using a torque wrench; never overtighten the cap -- the
    correct torque is printed on the top of the cap (should be 25 N*m = 18
    ft*lb.)
    GMOL...General Motors Oil Life monitor....one of the functions in your DIC...digtial information center....tells you the percentage oil life remaining between changes...
    Ok so maybe it is a 32mm socket. I know I didn't have one that big and bought one to do my own oil changes. So I'm a cheap scape. :D
    I've been using Wal-Mart brand Synthetic without a hitch so far. 08 Malibu I4 now has 73,000+
    I asked before but nobody replied -- now is a good time to repeat the question.
    I know that the filter is under the engine -- saw it.

Will I be able to unscrew it by hand? Is there enough space under it to use a standard drop pan, without running the car on some props first?

I won't do the oil change till, probably, May, but I'd like to have an idea before I try.
    Easy? Hard? Tools needed?
    Need a filter tool, do not tighten more than 3/4 - 1 turn after gasket just touches by hand . All can be done by not lifting, just a little tight
    Thanks! And from a reply at the Maxx board, I conclude that in addition to the filter, there is a plug there, too -- just like in the 2.2L engine I know pretty well.

So, first the plug, with a 15mm wrench, then the filter, with a special "filter tool"?
    Not sure on plug wrench, car is gone. I know it is less than 15 mm, more like 14 or 13.
    On filter wrench I use the the socket made for filters with 3/8 drive, it's either stamped metal or plastic, any parts place will have them.
  • steve420steve420 Member Posts: 1
    doing a oil change on a 2006chevy malibu..oil filter is loacated where? what does it look like? what tool do i need?
    Which engine the V6 or the 4?, on the V6 the oil filter is right behind the radiator (looking underneath the car) and easy to get to, no tools needed for the filter removal, just for the oil change bolt.
  • schollescholle Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2010
    Where can I get the right socket to remove the oil filter on my 4 cylinder 2009 Chevy Malibu?
    Autozone, Advance Auto Parts, just ask for the filter socket for the Ecotec engine. Same one fits all. I think the # 14700.
  • pennscopennsco Member Posts: 2
    4 cycl. doing 1st oil change. where is oil filter housing. do i need a special wrench to remove filter or is this special wrench for removing plug? Thanks in advance. :)
  • pennscopennsco Member Posts: 2
    4 cyl. where is oil filter and wrench is for plug or to remove filter
  • barkernrbarkernr Member Posts: 3
    The oil filter housing is on the driver's side of the engine block. It has a black cap with a black hex bolt on top of the cap.

You can buy a special tool to remove the cap or you can do what I did. I took a 12-pt. 1 1/16" socket (you can probably use a 6 pt. socket as well) and cut it in half. Works perfectly.
    Where is this o-ring everyone keeps talking about? I have never found an o-ring on the cap to my oil filter cap.

I purchased a fram oil filter, which had an orange o-ring included in the package. I attempted to put that o-ring on top of the threads of the oil filter cap, but when I screwed the cap down the o-ring worked itself out. I just threw it out and screwed on the cap. Did I just do something wrong?
    Where is this o-ring everyone keeps talking about? I have never found an o-ring on the cap to my oil filter cap.

I purchased a fram oil filter, which had an orange o-ring included in the package. I attempted to put that o-ring on top of the threads of the oil filter cap, but when I screwed the cap down the o-ring worked itself out. I just threw it out and screwed on the cap. Did I just do something wrong?
    If it does not leak you did nothing wrong, you are suppose to remove the old o-ring then install the new one.
    If the old o-ring is not damaged, it can be used over.
This discussion has been closed.