Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Malibu: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• 37453745 Member Posts: 152
    'scuse me, but you did say, "I nagged her NOT to buy foreign, to keep Americans working", and, "MY daughter wanted the Malibu, certainly NOT me!" My humble apologies if I thought that you in any way suggested that the Malibu was foreign.

Well, if you buy a Malibu you will also keep Americans working and the money stays in the country.
  • e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    joe,

Yours was built after the ones covered by that recall, so your vehicle not affected by it
    I've had my 04 Malibu for nearly a year now and I've had no problems or hint of a problem with the steering. The mileage is not high but I do a lot of city driving and the steering system gets a good workout. The manufacture date is within the so called bad times for the EPS. If there is a recall on the EPS I just hope that the replacement is reliable.

The only problem I've had is intermittent no-start which I've figured out how to fix by locking and unlocking the car with the key fob and it starts right up. e2helper says there is a software fix for it so I'll take the car in for it when I have time. Other than that, the Malibu is a pleasure to drive with great gas mileage.
  • kurtamaxxguykurtamaxxguy Member Posts: 677
    I was a GM automotive engineer and well remember trying hard (as did my associates) to make quality yet cost effective designs that would improve on the cars we made.

However, keep in mind;

1. suppliers are a factor engineers cannot always control. The Malibu steering columm problem - If I correctly read those documents I was pointed to from this forum - was caused due to supplier error (they changed parts and manufacturing techniques).

2. Engineering cannot possibly evaluate every possible thing that can go wrong in a new design unless they do extensive testing, which __takes time__. GM just dosn't throw new cars out there!

Engineers take no pleasure in hearing their designs break down or don't work. And to its credit, GM does have its engineers visit the clinics so they can see first hand how their designs are performing, and if possible offer fixes for problems they find.
    As mentioned earlier, I'm trying out a Saturn cabin filter in the "secret HVAC Filter chamber" in my maxx. Other than a possible rattle or two of the grille (I may need to tweak some internal seals) it seems to be doing its job filtering out nasties from outside.
    Here is a list of parts suppliers for the Malibu.

http://www.autonews.com/page.cms?pageId=344
  • redc0ugarredc0ugar Member Posts: 55
     Townhome: Ford DID handle the "rust" issue, again that was a supplier problem not one that was caused by a UAW Worker.

3745, no thank you...I will be ordering a 2006 'Stang...I can't order a 2005 because every car we build has already been sold. Even if the 2005 Mustang hadn't gotten excellent reviews, I'd refrain from spending my hard earned $ on a Malibu, simply too many supplier and engineering problems. Perhaps chevy MIGHT get this car straightened out, doubtful though because the GTO isn't selling either.
  • skyhawkskyhawk Member Posts: 126
    It was a 1993 with the 3800 engine that was plagued with head gasket leaks. Mine went at 34k miles but I was over warranty by 3 months. the dealer could not fix without a Ford OK. The dealer admitted it was an ongoing issue with that engine. I talked to several layers of Ford management to no avail. I understand that Ford eventually reimbubused owners for the fix on that engine but did not go back as far as the 1993 model year.
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    This is off topic but I can't resist.

As an IT professional, I am not involved with automotive copmanies. As such, I would say my perspective on automobile manufacturing may be a little less informed, but more objective, than yours. I find it quite humorous that you feel the vast majority of UAW workers are extremely hardworking, AND that "the problems lie with Management and the Engineers."
    Thanks for info, 3745. Very interesting, especially the comments about the electric power steering and the french-supplied seats.
  • maxxlt2004maxxlt2004 Member Posts: 71
    2004 malibu maxx lt,

chevy claims it's fixed, but the nhtsa website opened up a recent investigation rgarding the steering problems for the Malibu. the dealer says the "pulling to the left" upon acceleration is torque steer, but the nhtsa website's investigation involves "torque" in the replacement of the steering column, go figure that one out.

is it fixed? i'd say no, no car unless you are flooring it or driving fast off the start should pull to the left. in my case i'm going between 2-5 mph and it still does it.

BTW, here's the info straight from the nhtsa website, do you see where it reads contamination of torque"? you will also see some other great info on torque here as well. makes me think my dealer screwed it up, not me. i never had ths pulling to the left problem before they replaced my steering column on my 04 maxx lt.

" Make: CHEVROLET

Model: MALIBU MAXX

Type: ANY

Year: 2004

NHTSA Action Number: EA04018

Summary:

ODI OPENED PE04-031 BASED ON EIGHT REPORTS OF ALLEGED POWER STEERING FAILURE IN THE SUBJECT VEHICLES. THE COMPLAINTS ALLEGE THAT THE DRIVER SUDDENLY LOST ALL ELECTRIC POWER STEERING ASSISTANCE WITHOUT WARNING MAKING THE VEHICLE DIFFICULT TO STEER. THE SUBJECT VEHICLE UTILIZES AN ELECTRIC POWER STEERING ASSIST SYSTEM (EPS) THAT PROVIDES VARIABLE STEERING ASSISTANCE BASED ON STEERING WHEEL TORQUE, STEERING WHEEL POSTION, AND VEHICLE SPEED. GENERAL MOTORS DOCUMENTS IDENTIFIED THE FOLLOWING TWO FACTORS THAT CONTRIBUTED TO THE ALLEGED DEFECT IN THE SUBJECT VEHICLES: A. CONTAMINATION OF THE TORQUE AND POSITION SENSOR FROM THE SEPARATION OF GREASE APPLIED TO THE STEERING COLUMN ASSEMBLY. B. ELECTRICAL NOISE GENERATED ON THE POWER AND GROUND SLIP RING SURFACES OF THE TORQUE AND POSITION SENSOR. THE NOISE IS GENERATED AS THE SENSOR CONTACT BRUSHES MOVE ALONG THE SLIP RING SURFACES WHEN THE STEERING WHEEL IS ROTATED. ODI'S ANALYSIS SHOWED FAILURE RATES THAT ARE OF CONCERN TO ODI AND INDICATED THAT THE ALLEGED DEFECT IS CONTINUING TO OCCUR IN THE SUBJECT VEHICLES. AN ENGINEERING ANALYSIS HAS BEEN OPENED TO FURTHER INVESTIGATE THIS CONCERN, TO ASSESS THE POTENTIAL SAFETY-RELATED CONSEQUENCES, AND TO DETERMINE THE SCOPE OF THE AFFECTED POPULATION."
    BTW,

since i've had my fair share of problems with my 2004 Malibu maxx lt with 4 steering problem visits to my dealer and still no resolution......does anyone know if chevy corporate would allow me a better discount or credit towards a new Chevy other then the Malibu if I were to trade mine in?

it has 7,000 miles, fully loaded except xm radio, still owe about $18k on the car. i looked at my trade in value and was shocked when i seen it's only around like $18k. wow

the bbb is supposed to mediate with the chevy corporate rep i spoke to and see what they say.

let me know, thanks!
  • 2damaxx2damaxx Member Posts: 12
    In general, I've been impressed by the posting on all of the Maxx forums. I've been particularly impressed when people pinpoint specific issues and receive a response from board members or e2helper.

However, the current number of people repeatedly posting identical or posts that are nearly identical in content is really starting to get old (not to mention making e2helper's posts more infrequent). In a general review of the Maxx forums and contributors, the tone has shifted drastically over the last couple weeks, but it seems primarily due to a handful of posters.

To those of you that have issues, do your best through the established channels. Let us know when there are substantial developments. But you don't need to post your sentiment every single day. I don't come on here every day to tell you my car runs great and I'm pleased.

Maybe it's easy to say now since my car has been terrific, but I'm tired of all the whining on here. It's not the place for it. We can't fix your car. A couple of you come across as more interested in how you can get rid of your Maxx than in truly fixing your problem. E2helper probably wouldn't touch your situations with a 10 foot pole at this point and I know I wouldn't if I were a company rep and every other post was about a lawyer and the BBB. He'd be crazy to.

Maxxlt2004 - you've worn it out man. I know you're sorry you got that car. I know you'd rather have an Equinox. There is nothing I can do to help you. You've asked about trade-in value/lemon laws more times than I can count, often back-to-back. Keep us posted on the significant developments, but not this same thing every day stuff.

My .02.
    if i bothered you i apologize, but i think this forum is great and have had a lot of help on here...i dont care about an Equinox, but about my family's safety.

my .02
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    my 2cents....trading in your car..is the short way out for the dealer...you will only get the blue book value or perhaps little higher depending on how the dealer feels....you will never recover your payments made to date or trade in $ or down payment...if you are as dissatisfied with the car as you appear...let the BBB handle...my advise is have all your docs ready to include all your purchase and loan documentation..and a ALL of the service documentation outlining your problems...at this point I would not approach the dealer......Have you talked to the general manager/owner.....sent him a written correspondence outlining your concerns.....or have you just dealt with the service manager?...has the GM regional office been involved...lots of unknowns here....keep us informed
    just did a review of the TSBs currently listed at the National Highway Transportation Safety Admin site....interesting results....all from 2004 model year...the car model and number of TSBs posted

Mailibu Maxx 27

Honda Accord 52

Toyota Camry 24

Ford Taurus 23

Volvo V 70 5

Nissan Maxima 33

all contained brake, steering, and transmission issues..along with other rattles, squeaks, codes etc....I know there are bad apples in every mass produced item.....no matter the make or the model....just keep after the service department and the dealership....and if all else fails..use the BBB and your states lemon law.

Again not implying anything here...look at the site yourself and be an informed consumer!!
  • townhometownhome Member Posts: 104
    That's very interesting Pao. Thanks for taking the time and presenting us with that info.
    I had a no-start situation again yesterday. This time I very carefully noted if any unusual tell-tales were on. There was absolutely nothing to indicate that anything was amiss.

I got in the car, cranked the starter which this time got up to speed and, continued cranking for approx. 5 seconds. When I released the key, cranking stopped. Normally on the Malibu cranking continues if you release the key and things are normal. I noted during the cranking sequence if anything unusual was indicated. Nothing! All looked normal as if nothing had happened. I tried this 3 times and still noticed nothing unusual. It was as if the engine was not getting fuel or spark.

I then tried my routine of taking out the key, locking and unlocking the doors using the key fob, and cranking again. This time the car started immediately.

Please pass this along to whoever might be interested. The car has never left me stranded so I'm not too worried. Once GM can come up with a positive fix I'll take the car into the dealer.
    Well my Maxx suffered its first accident. Its rear end got whacked sideways 3 feet by a "hit and run" driver (a California staple). Apparently it was low speed as the rear sheetmetal was undamaged but bumper support was crushed and bumper side suffered a bunch of scratches. Wheelwell trim and fasteners were damaged, but fortunately main frame and rear compartment walls were not. Did not see any wheel dings but am concerned bearings could be damaged.

To Maxx's credit, the bumper plastic color seems consistant (no changes in color from the scratches,

Will find out what this repair involves/costs and let folks here know.

By comparison, wrt both my former Prism and Camry bumpers; Scratches and dings revealed ugly black plastic beneath a very thin surface color. Kudos to Chevy for making the bumpers "solid" in terms of scratch resistance!
  • beedublubeedublu Member Posts: 236
    I did a similar study during the year or so that I was pondering what to buy and I, too, was struck by the number of things reported by some of these makes -- Toyota and Honda in particular.

However I think it might be worth noting that there were probably a lot more Accords and Camrys sold during the 04 model year than Maxxes. Probably Tauruses, too.

Frankly, I think the Taurus number is impressive. But then, the design has been around a while and Ford presumably has had plenty of time to work out the bugs.

I'm not trying start a flame war...just a comment.
  • tra2883tra2883 Member Posts: 79
    Does anybody know any details about the power steering recall that apparently was released on the 10th? I saw some people mentioning it earlier, and I was just wondering where I can go to see the details.
    Thanks for info, Pao. Good to know.

My '83 Camry was a first year car, and it had a lot of recalls.
    oh none taken...I have owned both hondas and nissans before...but I think they are overpriced now...but everyone still seems to flock to them...despite problems....I guess the point was despite the model..everyone has problems..some along the same nature no matter what make and model....again was a very unscientific survey...I also looked in the exotic models and was surprised what I found with the Mercedes adn BMWs, while fewer..some were severe....and I was surprised that some of these bigger issues were on the high end models....wouldnt have expected that at all
  • tra2883tra2883 Member Posts: 79
    In that same regard, if you check Consumer Reports, a lot of the high-end automakers have atrocious reliability ratings, particularly BMW and Mercedes-Benz... Worse than the Malibu, in fact!
    wrt NHTSA, the power steering problem is apparently not yet a recall, but a defect investigation.

Just trying to clarify.
    hi,

the bbb has all my repair order, purchase contract, etc.....

i spoke to the sales mgr, service mgr, and the general gmr and none of them want to help. i even requested to have them contact a regional rep and they won't even do that much. it's hard to say this but they don't even care. they just sell cars period. i was told a GM regional rep can help me the most along with the BBB. but even the BBB will be hit or miss actually. should i ask to speak to the owner at my dealership if the General manager doesn't want to help?

waiting on mediation from the bbb and chevy corporate this week. i'm asking them for trade assistance in my trade back to the dealer and i'll also ask the gm regional rep to see if he can help vs. me losing money a defective car.

what would you suggest?
    sounds like the dealership is a lost cause....as you seem to have tried all the avenues....I wouldnt waste my time or effort with them at this point..shame they dont seem to want to help..but what I would do is scream long and hard with GM about the bad customer service and their poor attitude in dealing with your problem..I would then go out and seek the regional rep..corporate should be able to help..I know it seems to be a hassle..but you have to be persistent...with my Kia situation..I was on the phone every other day with either corporate or the regional tech rep...if I didnt get a person... I left a voice mail....it floors me the dealer has a really lousy attitude toward customer loyalty..bet you wont buy another car from them or recommend anybody else else does either!!!....My problem never went to the BBB arbitration since my certified letter to the general manager resulting in his response to do what it took to make me happy!!!

My advice...find out who the regional rep is....keep calling the corporate number, take the high ground and keep informing the general manager of the dealership of your actions....and keep informing all concerned what each is telling you.....I compared stories all along..to make sure all were informed...good luck!!
    i'm very suprised at my dealer also. we bought 1 cars from them in 10+ years. shame on them right, all they tell me to do is call chevy corp.

i wrote a letter on the company a-email addressing it to the owner and general manager, it was a very long email i might add about how they call me to make sure i give them a very satisfied on their survey, but when it comes to helping me, i'm last. i left a voice mail on the chevy corporate rep i deal with and also left a voice mail for my general manager at my dealership.

the bbb is supposed to call me this week also after mediating with the chevy corporat rep.
    Well, today, Dec.13, I got my recall for the power steering.

I'll quote from the letter - "We have learned that your vehicle may have been built with a steering column sensor that can wear unevenly and produce an erratic electric signal. When the system software detects that erratic signal, power assist is lost. The signal is more likely to occur when the steering wheel is turned slowly".

They go on to say that the dealer will inspect the steering column and if necessary, replace it.

So, there is a chance that they will not replace it. As I've said before, I've had no problems with my steering in a year and hope they don't replace mine. They also go on to say that the service will be performed at no charge until the January 31, 2006.
  • ericw55ericw55 Member Posts: 53
    For what it's worth, a friend of mine got the runaround a couple of years ago on a problem with an S10. After weeks of banging his head against a GM wall, he contacted a Lemon Law atty. GM, or dealer, bought the truck back for full price, and he pocketed 8k on top of that (I think).

If I were you, I would not commit to anything right now, including BBB. Get a free consult or two from an atty. With the info they give you, you can protect your interests. I'm not saying you should look to ride the gravy train, but if you have a legitimate complaint, you should get a fair resolution. Car makers and dealers contend with this stuff all the time, and know the laws. We don't. Good luck.
  • ericw55ericw55 Member Posts: 53
    Has anyone subscribed to www.alldata.com? For about $25, you can get access to all TSBs for your vehicle. I want to do this when 2004 info is available (they say this winter), but don't know if it will be worth it. Any experiences?
  • hboophboop Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

I am new to the site and unfortunately I am having problems with my Malibu Maxx. First, right off the lot I had to get all four rotors turned. Then after that the 6 CD changer has been breaking. This is their 4th one. I took it back in the shop yesterday because the air bag light would not turn off. Come to find out the dealership received bulletin that the malibu maxx's pull to the left, which by the way I had been telling them that for the last month. Then they called me yesterday and told me they had to keep the car not just because of the pulling to the left problem but because they had to replace the whole electrical brain system of the car which was causing the Car to Damage the CD players. I love my malibu maxx as far as the body style and I got the whole bells and whistles also. It's just that their has been so many problems with it. Maybe I just got the Lemon..any way as far as power steering I haven't heard except for the BULLETIN about the car pulling hard to the left as mine was...
  • 3chevies3chevies Member Posts: 8
    I have a question about my 04 Maxx I bought about 10 weeks ago and now has about 1,800 miles on it.

I went to use the windshield washer spray the other day while sitting at a red light. The fluid basically trickled out of the hoses on the wipers. I thought maybe the tank was low so I filled it last night and tried it today. While sitting still the fluid still trickles out. While driving probably around 35 mph it does seem to wet the windshield pretty good, but not great.

Question to other Maxx owners is, does the fluid trickle out or spray out when the car is sitting still? Not sure if it is designed to trickle and take advantage of wind at driving speed or if I have a clogged system.

Thanks
    Hi,

I was told by my dealership that after the 4th cd changer they were ordering a whole new electrical system (brain) for the car. They told me that the cd players were being ruined because the electrical system that works everything was causing the problem. The cd player would work on and off and the car would have to sit for about 20 minutes parked to reset itself. Then after a couple of weeks of this it just refused to work to include ejecting any cd's. Just thought I would tell you what my dealership told me. Still waiting for my car today. Thanks
    I was just told yesterday by the dealership that a BULETTIN was released that the malibu maxx does pull to the left and that they would fix the problem. I took it in to them yesterday and I was certain that they would tell me I was crazy, but they told me I was right and the bulletin was received to fix the problem. So, maybe they will fix it.
  • joe3891joe3891 Member Posts: 759
    Thanks for the infor, mine only locked up once and pulling the fuse cured that. Other than a CD ejecting now and then for no reason its been pretty good. My wife uses the CD player all the time so if its going to break,she will break it. Before the warranty expires I hope.
  • sgr5516sgr5516 Member Posts: 163
    My Maxx washer has always sprayed the entire windshield from top to bottom whether car was standing still or moving. Of course I haven't experienced continuous below freezing outside temps yet. The car I replace had this same type of sprayer system, mounted on the wiper arm. In winter, even though the standard washer fluid is not supposed to freeze, the nozzles on the wiper arms always froze and the washers stopped working. I had to use a de-icing formula washer fluid in the winter.

Sounds like you have a clogged hoses, kinked hoses, defective nozzles or the pump does not turn on unless car is moving. Problem might also be electrical (bad switch or pump). You need to have to have your dealer look at this.
    Thanks sgr5516.

I think I had run the washer when I first got the car and remembered it was a spraying action, but I could not recall exactly. It does the same thing when the car is moving, I think the speed is what is causing to fluid to move around more. It really doesn't clean the windshield very well though.

I wanted to make sure it was supposed to spray before I called the dealer. Gonna call and make an appointment.
    Wipers on my maxx have small tubes running to sprayers near the wiper blades themselves. The sprayers do work well and more effectively than traditional squirters. Only dribbling I have seen, after the wipers park after washing, is a little residual fluid on wiper bodies get blown off by the wind (sometimes it requires one wipe to clear this off - depends on vehicle speed).
    hi can you tell me what the tsb is for the pulling to the left problem you are having. I have had the same problem ever since my dealer replaced my steering column on my 04 maxx
  • beedublubeedublu Member Posts: 236
    It's surprising to hear all the different complaints and problems people have. The wipers are one thing that work really well on my Maxx. I just hope I'm not jinxing it.

The spray pattern on mine is quite even, whether stopped or at highway speeds. Today was the first experience in 20-something degree weather, and I observed no problems with freeze-ups or clogging.
    Well I opened the hood when I got home tonight. Traced the hose from the resevoir and where it passes next to the battery cover the hose was pinched under the cover.

I have never been under the hood since I have gotten the car let alone removed the battery cover. I have had the car in twice for fuel tank related problems. I can only assume they had to remove the cover when they were doing diagnostics. Or it came from the factory like that. But I am pretty sure the spray worked when I first got the car.

I removed the battery cover but the hose is a fairly rigid plastic and it is damaged pretty bad. Kinked and looks split.

Guess I am going to have to take in in and get it replaced.
    i think i may have found why my vehicle pulls to the left, after the steering column was replaced the dealer didn't establight the center of the electric steering!

Did anyone get these bulletins done to their malibu maxx?

1. this one pertains to the vehicle pulling to the left.

Service Bulletin Num : 3000

2. this one is to establish the center of the steering

Service Bulletin Number: 030232005

3. RATTLE OR CLUNK STEERING COLUMN NOISE COMING FROM THE LEFT LOWER INSTRUMENT PANEL, OR FOOT WELL AREA

Service Bulletin Number: 04072004
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    maxxlt: any insight as to what the dealer would do for symptom #3? I hear a clunking noise from what appears to be the "front left strut" when I pass over an uneven surface like a driveway apron. Sounds like it could be the same thing
    It's very easy to pinch the small hose with the battery cover. So to anyone having problems with their washers, have a look there first.

For those who have had the steering column replaced, just make sure that the electrical adjustments and the zero point are done properly by the dealer otherwise you'll have problems with the steering pulling to one side. e2helper mentioned this long ago.
    Any Maxx owners here having rattles in the roof? Mine started about two weeks ago and it is either in the dome light or possibly in the right roof airbag.

Also, wrt the rear shades, are they still simply adding a reinforcement or actually changing the plastic surround? Mine had reinforcements added at a clinic but the shades still barely stay latched.
    mine is in the dome light...I just havent gotten around to looking at it....it really seems to be louder when the sunroof shade is opened....which is how I normally leave it...I can only hear it when the radio is off and windows are rolled up..but I know it is there....not worth my time to take it to the dealer...will look at it when it gets a little warmer in the spring....as I have an outdoor parking garage
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    my rattle eminates from the driver's side hinge which supports the metal bar which springs up when the sun roof is open. The metal bar is held on by two of these hinges/springs. I can put my finger on it when I slide open the fabric panel, and silence it.
    Can anyone give me the TSB's for the service bulletins or Recalls on the pulling to the left problem,

I also need the tsb for the "establishing the center" problem. the nhtsa website doesn't give the gm bulletin # out.

thanks.
  • nurse_heathernurse_heather Member Posts: 1
    My 99 malibu has been a wonderful car until a few months ago. I tried to start it and the theft light came on and of course the car will not start while it is on. I waited 15 minutes and when the light went out the car started. It has continued to do this at least twice a week for the past 9 months. The dealership charges $75 per hour to "investigate" the problem... is it a wiring problem or a problem with the key??. Also.. at times it will start but the light stays on. Has this happened to anyone else and if so what was the problem.