Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevrolet Malibu: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Options
    townhometownhome Member Posts: 104
    Sorry to hear of your problems. It seems as if the fuel line wasn't tightened enough, and I know I had a fuel pump go out because it was run dry, which seems as if it could have happened to you too. The same thing happened to my friends Subaru Outback when it was about a year old. She had just gotten work done (from the dealer) and was wondering why her gas gauge was dropping so quickly on the drive back home. She pulled in to the gas station and started filling up her car. Well, the gas was coming out underneath as fast as she was putting it in. The people at the gas station freaked out, the fire department had to come -- it was a mess. So, at least you know it doesn't just happen to American cars.

And, like Pao said, don't discount American cars completely. My Maxx has been really good, and my friends 03 Accord has had quite a few problems, not the least of which is it needing new engine mounts and radiator mounts at 20,000 miles. Also, the Malibu has beat the Accord, Camry, and Altima in the JD Power Initial Quality Survey. But, I do understand why you would be very unhappy to be stranded. Both my Toyota Truck and my old Altima left me stranded (the Toyota multiple times) and now I really don't ever feel the need to buy either of those again.
  • Options
    tahitehanitahitehani Member Posts: 1
    Here's a quick fix:
    Turn your ignition "on" and wait exactly 10 minutes until the "theft system" light stops blinking. It will stop on it's own after 10 minutes.

You will be able to drive off after that. Okay so I dealt with that like twice a month for about 14 months until recently when I had to have the entire ignition casing replaced. VERY expensive. Apparently, the wires weren't touching and had burned their own "pathway" to start my car. Crazy! And silly. No one could figure it out (even at the dealership) until I'd read my manual. My quick fix also ran my battery dry so if you're strapped for cash, be prepared to replace that sometime in the future as well.

BTW, my steering wheel NEVER locks. It's not even in the manual. The Malibu is not fit for driving on the road. :mad:

(it's been a year since you posted this so you may have fixed the prob by now)
  • Options
    e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    Thanks for info. Curious when this happens does anything else occur? Problems with speedo or tachometer gauges and odometer? The "PRNDL" gear shift position indication?

Does it pretty much repeat every time you drive it? If so I have a suggestion for you to try and see if it changes anything
  • Options
    jdnabrujdnabru Member Posts: 4
    Nothing else really happens when the XM radio goes other than the air bag warning lite coming on. They always happen simultaneouslly. It does repeat for me every time I drive. Sometimes it happens several times within just a few minutes and other times it may last for a while in either condion. Either working properly or w.o. being abel to acces XM.
  • Options
    Ok, that limits potential on what it is. I will have to experiment a little on my wife's car to try to duplicate - hope she doesn't mind ;)

I will be back in touch with results.
  • Options
    davismaxxdavismaxx Member Posts: 33
    Thanks for the encouragement. The problem has been diagnosed as the fuel pump module, and the part is on order. I researched this and found an article about it. Apparently the Maxx and the G6 are using a new fuel pump module that is permanently attached to a specially designed ring that twists into the fuel tank opening. They designed a special tool for removal and replacement, but those who don't have the tool are just banging these things out and in with screwdrivers, etc, ruining both the module and the fuel tank.

Since we had our tank replaced, I'll bet that's what happened. The dealer replaced the module without using the special tool and damaged the module. They tell me they now have the special tool, and also that the tank itself is still OK.

I think I want to take a look at that tank opening myself. If it's damaged I think they owe me another (third) tank.

One thing I can't complain about: every time this car has been in the shop overnight, we have gotten a free loaner. I've never had that convenience before with any car, no matter how expensive.

Here is the web address of the gm tech link article on this. Just cut and paste it into your browser.

http://www.gmtechlink.com/images/issues/may05/TLmay05e.html#story10

DavisMaxx
    2004 Maxx LS
    Gold
    built 5/04
    vin 237245
  • Options
    bljeauxbljeaux Member Posts: 1
    Tell me about how you corrected the noise in the steering column. I have a 2005 Malibu Maxx and the dealer will not do any corrective work for the noise in the steering column in that he states it is a common problem with Malibu Maxx cars and GM will not approve the warranty work.

No more GM products for me.

Bljeaux
  • Options
    jinemjinem Member Posts: 1
    I AM A OWNER OF A 00 LS, AFTER REPLACING THE WATER PUMP, I AM STILL HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THE COOLANT LEAKING, ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS PROBLEM? ALSO IS IT JUST ME OR DO THE BRAKES HAVE TO BE REPLACED FEQUENTLY?
  • Options
    malibufirstmalibufirst Member Posts: 1
    So having followed the many comments on 2004 Maxx brakes and being unhappy with the results of my first round with rotors being turned, I wonder:

Has anyone had success with the GM recommended technique of torqueing the wheels manually? Does this avoid the quick return of pulsing many have described?

Has anyone run across replacement rotors that are more stable than the original equipment?

If someone has actually confronted the pulsing problem and corrected it (ie. no problem for over 20K), it would be helpful for some to hear about it.
  • Options
    Hi,

I tried duplicating your complaint and came pretty close. XM would be working fine and then radio shift to FM1 band. At the same time the Airbag warning light comes on. If I remove the fault then the airbag light typically goes off and you can select XM band again.

I didn't see the Check DAB message but I only played with it for a little while. Also I think the software in my radio is different and so might not act the same way.. I was able to create this problem by creating a dual fault in vehicle wiring. Since this sounds pretty close to what you are experiencing, I would suggest (if they will take any recommendations from you) that next time vehicle is at dealer that they look at what is called the BCM C1 connector for any signs that it isn't locked in place properly (esp a component called a TPA which is green in color). I would also suggest they double check that the wiring terminals (there are 2) for data communication in SAME connector have adequate "drag". Just in case probing of that connection damaged the terminal.

When I did induce this problem I set fault codes in many different electronic module. That would typically be a tip off to check those types of things.

Don't ask me how I know this stuff ;)

Good luck,
  • Options
    paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    I think one again you are a victim of a poor or lazy service department...try calling GM customer service...the steering columns have be a source of problems for the early 04s, but supposedly had been corrected mid year..and for the 05 models.....I would speak with the service department manager..and ask to see his correspondence with GM and their refusal to do warranty work....so me the money so to speak......I have NO problems dealing with an incompetent service department...when Im an informed consumer..it amazing what you can get done when you show up with a TSB in hand or show the service manager how to work his own system!!!.....

Ive learned a lot of about the GM Vehicle Order Management System (VOMS) and the associated codes....since Im dealing with a Pontiac dealer that did a special order for me....he has been very forthcoming now that Im knowledgeable of his system...and what he kind of information he can get from it!!!!
  • Options
    skyhawkskyhawk Member Posts: 126
    I decided early on not to rotate the tires on this car. I have 18k on the car and have had no problems with the brakes. I assume they were properly torqued at the factory.
  • Options
    I hvae rotated tires several times...and added custom rims as well....approaching 34k on my 04 Maxx and not brake problems to report...knock on wood..the car has been free of any problems....abeit the rear shades....I keep them open all the time anyway....and one front turn signal socket replaced.....
  • Options
    kurtamaxxguykurtamaxxguy Member Posts: 677
    not sure if manually torqueing will fix problem that improper torquing can create by warping rotors....

My '04 was improperly torqued on all 4 wheels and started vibrating from time to time during braking. Went through and retorqued manually via standard star pattern and torque wrench (will __never__ let a dealer torque those wheels again without following up right after service!)..

Would be interested in hearing what other rotors from vendors are available, and more durable.
    Seems like Malibu is weak in two areas - brakes and electrics.
  • Options
    maxxolivermaxxoliver Member Posts: 78
    Hey Pao there is a fix for the rear sunshade. The dealer installed fasteners last August for mine and there has been no problem since. I think there may have been a TSB sent out because they did the replacement while they had the car in for the stereo.
  • Options
    yes...Im aware there is a fix for the shades...just have never bothered to be honest....seldom does anyone sit in the back anyway.....just didnt want the dealer to work with the interior..most service departments dont know how to handle trim work.....they perfer to do the mechanical work instead......doesnt really bother me...so will probably never get it done.....but hey..thanks!!!!
  • Options
    artistgqartistgq Member Posts: 1
    1999 Malibu (all your advise is appreciated)

I've been having problems starting it, there seems to be a lack of power or short. It started by turning off seconds after starting the car a week ago, but I quickly started the car again (The panel dimmed and my stereo's memory was erased) It happened 3 additional times. This morning it wouldn't start at all, the power locks weren't working, nor any other electrical devise. I tried a few times and nothing. I then turned the key half way, some of the panel's lights came on, as usual, tried but nothing again. The funny thing is a few "clicks" inside the hood (maybe alternator or a short???) I left the key half way turned again maybe for a minute, tried again and started the car....

I changed the starter and battery six months ago thus my doubts that it may be any of these (I'll have the battery and alternator checked today though). My driver's side window died just before the starting problems, could it be a short? I know ZERO when it comes to the car's electrical system. Any advise or suggestions? (Maybe you have had this problem with your Malibu and know the exact answer)

Thank you

C H
  • Options
    airiusairius Member Posts: 3
    Davismaxx,

I hear yeah man. '04 Maxx LS, had it towed once after it continued its not starting problems, left me stranded in my pj's at 7-11, almost once on new years. Had the 6pak changer reprogramed twice, replaced once, gas gauge started working on its own...would never read full even with overfilling. bad gas mileage and constantly running rough, reprogrammed twice. The car has spent a total of a month in the shop since i bought it in Nov. '04. The depreciation is horrible, and you cant give the car away. Like you said, this will be the last domestic car i buy. :lemon:
  • Options
    chrepa1018chrepa1018 Member Posts: 3
    Welllll, turns out that it was the alternator. My husband drove the car up to the local auto parts store & one of their "mechanics" ran a diagnostic on the alternator just last week. The "mechanic" said that there was nothing at all wrong with it. Monday, I was on my way home when the battery light on the dash came on. Luckily, I made it home okay. My husband started the car, popped the hood & unhooked the battery. The car died. Turns out that the "mechanic" was reading the outcome of the test wrong. The whining noise was probably a bearing going out in the alternator. Thanks to everyone that gave advice!
  • Options
    prdmprdm Member Posts: 145
    Just for future reference; it's a very bad idea to disconnect the battery on a running car. In the old days that was a fine diagnostic tool but todays (including 6 years old) computerized systems don't take very kindly to the subsequent voltage spikes. The battery is designed to be a kind of shock absorber for the whole electrical system and its removal from the loop can cause trouble. I can't say I've done the experiment but taking the battery out of the circuit may, by design, cause the engine to turn off anyway.
  • Options
    bryan200kbryan200k Member Posts: 64
    I've seen others commenting on this thread about their gas gauge giving incorrect readings. Most of what I've read is the gauge not reading full when in fact the tank has been filled up. My gas gauge kwirks are a little different. I have a 2000 Malibu that has 133,000 miles on it. From the first month, my gas guage has not read correctly. Because of incorrect readings, I ran out of gas on the highway in my first month. From that point on, I do not rely on the gas gauge, but on my trip odometer. I usually get about 300 to 330 miles per tank. Here are the symptoms of my gas guage. I usually can drive 100 miles before the gauge starts dropping from FULL. Then it rapidly desends to empty. On occasion, my first 100 miles takes the gauge all the way down to show a QUARTER tank. Very erradic to say the least. I developed a new symptom this past weekend. I had just filled up my tank and before I left the gas station, the needle dropped all the way to EMPTY and the warning chimes started going off. In a semi-panic, I stopped the car before leaving the parking lot and asked my son to quickly jump out and look to see if I was leaking gas. Nothing. I turned off the engine, restarted and the needle went back to FULL, pulled out of the station, and before going 30 feet, the needle again went to EMPTY. I drove across the street to my next stop (grocery store) and did my brief errand and we ate lunch. The remainder of the day and the next couple days, all was well. On Wednesday, when I filled up again, it did the same behavior all over again. It seems to only act this way immediately after a fill up. I discussed this with my father and his opinion is that as long as I'm sure that I have enough gas in the tank and I continue to watch the odometer to gauge my gas remaining, it is not worth the cost to drop the tank and do whatever other research and maintenance is required to correct this symptom.
  • Options
    csmith6198csmith6198 Member Posts: 1
    Dear artistgg:

Noticed your problem. I have had the exact same problem over the years with several cars. This problem has almost always been related to starter, voltage regulator, alternator, battery, or battery connection problems. Since you have already replaced the battery and starter, I would try the easiest potential fix first.

The clicking under the hood can come from the solenoid trying to close so that the starter can get a direct, high power connection to the battery. A poorly charged battery can cause clicking in the solenoid when there is insufficient power coming from the battery to the high powered starter coils to actually turn the starter over and of course to start the engine. Bad connections on the starter or battery (usually on the battery) can cause this problem.

Poor connections can result where the battery cables fasten onto the battery. The fix is to unscrew these connections, clean them and put grease on the bolt and connecting metal on both cables and also on the battery cable connecting point. This prevents the cables from corroding in the future and the grease does not impede the flow of the required electricity. I have fixed several of my cars in this manner over the years and never have hard starting, dimming lights or clicking under the hood problems after that.

If that does not work, have your alternator checked for proper output for the purpose of charging the battery. Keep checking and fixing connections until things come back to normal or you identify the bad part that needs replacing.
  • Options
    I had my car in for it's first oil change, they also performed a recall repair on the Harmonic Balancer apparently it was not torqued properly not sure anyone else has heard that one yet, and took the TSB for the wind deflector the dealer ordered it and I had it installed this morning.
    While there I got to check out the new HHR and I really hope they don't think that is going to replace the MAXX. There is very little leg room in the rear and the interior design has a lot of room for improvement. Not to mention the colors they chose. I think it looks an awful lot like a PT Cruiser just more squared off. I really love my MAXX and do not want to see it replaced by an HHR. Does anyone know what HHR stands for anyway the services guys didn't?
  • Options
    skyhawkskyhawk Member Posts: 126
    Heritage High Roof Supposedly the design was inspired by the 1939 Suburban. I saw one this past week. My first thought was that the Aztec designer still has a job at GM.
  • Options
    kurtamaxxguykurtamaxxguy Member Posts: 677
    HHR = Heritage High Roof, I believe. Will hopefully get to see this turkey next Sunday; reviews and photos of HHR suggest the Maxx's soooo much nicer.

And unfortunately, the HHR __is__ going to replace the Maxx, by end of 2007.
  • Options
    robby8robby8 Member Posts: 17
    I have a 2000 Malibu LS and have recently noticed that the paint just below the
    gas cap cover is bubbling and starting to rust. My GM dealer said that this
    is not covered unless there is a rust hole that goes completely through. Has anyone else had this problem? Also, I noticed that there is a bit of rust starting on both sides of the car at the bottom, just behind the back wheels. I would appreciate any advice on how best to stop this. Thanks.
  • Options
    As I said I have already seen it and I am not impressed and truly hope that GM changes their minds about the HHR replacing Maxx. There is not as much room inside and the Maxx is much better looking. Plus he has so many more features. The interior of the one I saw was two tone brown and tan, very plain and almost plastic looking. I am sure time will tell and if the sales on the HHR aren't good then they will have to rethink it won't they?
  • Options
    ericw55ericw55 Member Posts: 53
    Could someone please tell me what the Harmonic Balancer is? :confuse: Thanks.
  • Options
    The Harmonic Balancer bolts to the front of the crankshaft, it is the way the motor is balanced and it is also the lower pulley to run your belts for your AC and all other belts. The recall, which I did receive in the mail yesterday, is in regards to it being properly torqued which will avoid it coming loose or falling off.
  • Options
    ericw55ericw55 Member Posts: 53
    Thanks. You guys are a wealth of info. Much appreciated.
  • Options
    cwesleygcwesleyg Member Posts: 64
    I can see why they would not brag abouth the anacronyn... that sounds pretty lame, although HHR sounds okay... I saw one when I went back to my dealership to peal the MI State Park sticker out of my trade in... I was very interested, unitl I saw that it was not built in the US. That matters to me more than any other thing. It seems like a pretty large vehicle to get pulled by a 4 banger... Styling I've heard is based on the "47 Suburban... It does look pretty cool I think... but it needs a V6... perhaps that will be an option.
  • Options
    joe3891joe3891 Member Posts: 759
    I wonder how extensive the recall is,any idea. :)
  • Options
    The letter I received in the mail on Saturday August 13th says 2005s equipped with 3.5L V6 engine. The dealer already knew about it and fixed it while my car was there for an oil change on Wednesday the 11th I love my dealer they are always on top of these things and take care of checking everytime I take the car in and not having me bring it back at a later date. :) Plus they give me free oil changes for the first year.
  • Options
    yungranyungran Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2004 Malibu Maxx , it has been having a starting problem for a few months now, it cranks but does not turn over quick enough for a full start. Has anyone else had this problem? ">
  • Options
    ktcktc Member Posts: 30
    About the recall on the Harmonic Balancer, is it on all 2005 Maxx (all with V6)?
    I have not received any recall in the mail yet. :confuse:
  • Options
    So far as I know yes it is on 2005s with 3.5L V6 engines. Call your local dealer and they can check it for you. I just got the letter Saturday but the dealer knew about it last Wednesday.
  • Options
    ktcktc Member Posts: 30
    I just called my dealer, and they said it is not on mine 2005 Maxx (August 2004 build date), maybe it is only for some period of build date. :)
  • Options
    schnooks2schnooks2 Member Posts: 6
    He bought it in the Spring and was driving to Calif - died in New Mexico - received the letter when he returned from his trip.

He is in negotiations with GM right now trying to get a new van - they offered to replace the engine on the old one.

He then read the letter to me - and discovered that our new Maxx is mentioned too! But the build date is 7/04 so hopefully doesn't apply to us?
  • Options
    jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    We took the Malibu on a trip to visit our family in WV over the past weekend. While there the remote trunk release started to glitch. It doesn't matter if you use the key fob or the door panel button- about 80% of the time there is a "click" noise from the trunk (sounds like a solenoid), but the trunk doesn't open. Using a key in the trunk works every time, and (I tested by manually manipulating the latch) the emergency release inside the trunk lid does too.

My wife took the car into the dealership this morning to have this (and some other items I've been holding off on) taken care of. She just called me to tell me that the mechanic says "we have to allow time for the system to reset" and "recognize that the trunk lid is closed". So I had to get the phone # for the dealership and call them. That's BS. This hasn't happened before, and anyway, who EVER heard of a minimum time needing to be allowed between opening / closing and then reopening the trunk? What happens when i open it to put something in, close it, then immediately realize I meant to get something else out (or forgot something else I needed to put in)? Should I wait a few minutes or be forced to use the key?

I'm interested in hearing if anyone else has seen this problem with their 2004+ Malibu Sedan (and possibly the Maxx, though the Maxx has some extra features relating to the hatch, if I've read correctly, that might mean its system works a little differently?). In the meantime I called the service manager and told her what I thought about this "excuse" they're making, and that it's never acted this way before. I also told her that if the mechanic still claims it's normal they need to check any OTHER Malibu on the lot.. She got with the mechanic and they're going to go check another one out, then she says she's going to call me back, so I'll post back here with results.

For anyone interested, the other stuff it's being seen for-
    1) Tire rotation / balance (yah, I can do it, but they're seeing it anyway, and I have a hard time finding enough time for stuff like this any more)
    2) Loose hood release handle. The inside handle for the hood release has between 3/4 and 1" play. NOT the cable itself (cable's taught, as can be felt when pulling the handle past that point). Manager says it's normal for all the Malibus. I'll take her word for it, since I honestly can't remember from past times opening the hood (that says some positive things about this car- no need to open the hood myself often enough to even remember how it worked before).
    3) Rock chip in paint to the rear of the sunroof on the passenger side. The chip itself isn't their concern. The RUST starting to form there is though. I'd been expecting to hear the "rust through" excuse, but was pleasantly surprised when the manager said they may have to send it out. (Rust through IS what is covered, but starting to rust is what leads to rust through. Dealing with the rust while it's still just a surface spot is bound to be much cheaper than once it's through the metal. Interestingly, I was under the impression that the roof was also two-sided galvanized. If so, this spot is a strange occurance.)

ttyl all.
  • Options
    cwesleygcwesleyg Member Posts: 64
    I would think it is your responsibility to cover chips so they don't rust. Typically rust through means there has to be a hole all the way through the metal before they will do anything. A buddy of my has a 2002 or 3 Ram pickup that has paint blistering for no apparent reason... rust has formed 2" above the wheel wells and Chrysler is doing nothing for him. I wouldn't expect any help from GM over a chipped paint.
  • Options
    aladdin_sanealaddin_sane Member Posts: 5
    I looked around and couldn't find any other posts on this forum regarding this topic, so I thought I'd see if anyone has/had this problem.

I bought my 2004 Malibu used about six months ago. It had been driven as a company car for about a year and abused pretty badly for such a new car. One of the problems with the car was that there were stains on the front and rear passenger seats. It looked like somebody had spilled something all over them and then dried, leaving a sort of patchy stain. The rest of the car was pretty dirty too, so I figured I would get it detailed and see if the stains came out, and they did. I thought my problems were over, but last night I went for a jog in the rain and drove home from the track. This morning I noticed similar stains, but much worse all over the driver's seat. I'm sure that I only got water and nothing else on the seat, and that these stains are new and not just the ones I had taken out resurfacing. I've also noticed small stains on the other seats where water has dripped when the doors were opened. I find it hard to believe that GM could apholster their seats with fabric that stains simply by coming into contact with water, but apparently they did in my car. Has anybody had the same problem, and if so, is there a solution?
  • Options
    jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    That's pretty much what the dealership said too. He was polite about it, and I really couldn't argue. (Dunno what I was expecting! senile moment I guess..)

As for the other things- I forgot one off my list:
    Weak / chattering passenger side power window. This has happened before, and they've always just lubed the window seal (assuming silicone of some sort), which took care of the chattering, but not the slow window motor. This time I insisted that they also deal with the motor, before the car's out of warranty and it fails altogether.

Resolutions:
    1) Piece of cake. Cost ~$35.
    2) (Had answer above, but repeating here to keep things together) The manager claims to have checked other cars on the lot, says they're all the same. Supposedly they leave some slack in the handle to avoid overstressing the cable? (Makes little sense to me, but if they really ARE all that way, whattayado?)
    3) Mentioned above. Basically, I'm going to take care of this one by taking the car to a body shop and having this spot and any others addressed, as well as having some minor custom graphics added, to please my wife. This may be a few months away. For the short term, has anyone got a good suggestion for stopping / preventing the spread of the rust until I get time / money to get the car into the shop?
    4) Trunk release glitching. Wouldn't you know it. The thing's refusing to glitch now. First they claimed you have to wait for it to reset, but later they simply claimed they couldn't reproduce the problem. Since it's working perfectly (regardless of how many times I've opened it trying to cause the problem) I just asked that they keep the ticket marked as "unable to reproduce" so that if it doesn't happen again until outside the warranty I can still get it addressed properly.
    5) Power window. Two things were at fault. The first was the dry rubber seal around the windows, which they lubricated again (seems to need this about 3 times a year, so I guess I'm going to stock up on silicone lube myself..). The second was that the motor / mechanism itself was dirty. They cleaned it and lubricated it (also did driver's side, which the mechanic said was also dirty). The passenger side is still slower than the driver side, but it's so close now that I won't press the issue. (the driver's side closes while the passenger side still has between 2 and 3 inches of travel left if you close them both simultaneously from fully open. It was at least twice that or more.)

With all my minor problems, I still love this car. I'm not blind to any faults (for example, the seats are a bit hard on the backside on longer trips, and the suspension is a bit firm over the rough pavement we have here in this part of NC's highways), but overall it was still an excellent value. Great performance and fuel economy for a mid-size family vehicle, good fit and finish, relatively low number of problems (for an early 1st model year build!), outstanding level of equipment for the dollar- it all adds up to a deal that's hard to beat. Unless of course, you bought a Maxx (my wife and I both still have issues with the rear styling, but can't argue against the extra functionality). ;)

The local service department experience has pretty much sealed our satisfaction with the vehicle though. Even when we don't "get our way" they're polite and do a good job of explaining why. More often they go out of their way to make us happy, even if it means fixing something that most others might balk at. Too bad more dealerships don't provide this sort of experience, or GM might not be sitting where it is financially right now.
  • Options
    lfarkashlfarkash Member Posts: 9
    The maintenance manual talks about applying some kind of silicone lubricant on a regular basis. Is this really important? :confuse:
    I haven't been able to find anything fitting the description at the auto parts store. When I asked the service desk whether they apply this during the oil change service, I was told that it was up to me. Apparently, they don't think it is that important.
    However, this is my first car with a sunroof and if this stuff will help maintain the gasket, where can I get some? :surprise:

I'd appreciate any opinions/info.
  • Options
    prdmprdm Member Posts: 145
    Silicone spray onto a cloth. Rub that around the weatherstripping. It prevents the rubber from drying out and in winter (if that's an issue for you) it prevents the doors from sticking to the frames.
  • Options
    sgr5516sgr5516 Member Posts: 163
    The owners manual has the part number for the dielectic silicon grease which you can get from the dealer parts dept. I got tube (about $12 at dealer) and smeared it on all my door gaskets with my fingers. A little goes a long way. You can see the difference in the gaskets after you put this on. I did not use is on the gaskets that touches the window glass when you close the windows as the grease would transfer to the glass when you open and close the windows.

The packaging did not say anything about using it on door gaskets. It is normally used on spark plug boots to keep them soft and easy to remove. You can buy this stuff in an auto store for a couple bucks per tube.

I also checked with service and they do not apply this grease as part of regular maintenance work.
  • Options
    kmaurerkmaurer Member Posts: 48
    I have the same problem with my 04 Malibu (grey interior). Water will stain the seats. Also, make sure to clean the ENTIRE seat cushion when you clean it, or it will leave another stain.
  • Options
    joe3891joe3891 Member Posts: 759
    Ever try isopropyl alcohol, it worked on the head liner, and no stain. :)
  • Options
    sgr5516sgr5516 Member Posts: 163
    I have 04 Maxx LS and have not had any problems with water staining the seat fabric. I rented an 05 base Malibu sedan and the front seats were very stained. Perhap this is only a problem in the base models. They use a different fabric than the LS models.
  • Options
    I wonder too if anyone had the perma-plate done, that can also help to avoid stains on the fabric. I have leather and had both of my Maxxes done right after I bought them. Don't know how much difference that might make.
  • Options
    kmaurerkmaurer Member Posts: 48
    My Malibu is an 04 LS. The seat stains occurred with purified water - I put a mug on the back set that I thought was completely empty, but it had a few drops of water left in the mug. Well, the few drops oozed out onto the fabric and caused a ring where the water dried. The local GM dealer also got a small grease stain on my driver's seat that I haven't been able to get out (although it is slowly disappearing).

For now, I now have a "no food, no drink" rule in the car.