Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Malibu: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• 79377937 Member Posts: 390
    ps, the only "fly by wire" device in the Malibu that I know of is the gas peddle connection to the throttle body. Seems like your dealer is really screwed up.
  • e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    For 2004 Malibu it was a Customer Satisfaction Campaign #04050A. Owners with affected vehicles would have received notification quite a while ago. Potentially affected VINs went through 4F166649 but dealer would have to look up a vehicle specifically to see if it actually applied.

If you are familiar with NHTSA website they did an investigation on this last year and applicable documents are posted. EA04018
    Below is a link with a brief discription of the Delphi EPS.

http://www.delphi.com/pdf/s/str_esteer.pdf

Dealerships had better jack up their training on these systems because Delphi will be supplying Ford and Mazda plus many cars in Europe with EPS. More manufacturers will be incorporating them soon in their models. The column mount version (second picture) is the one used on the Malibu.
  • bradley2bradley2 Member Posts: 11
    For those of you (with ANY GM vehicle) experiencing a range of problems please know that class action lawsuits are emerging against GM and Prestone for Dex Cool anti-freeze used in most if not all GM brands and models since 1996. After researching it, it appears to me that it is becoming evident to many that Dex Cool is likely an inferior anti-freeze and actually corrosive to engine parts. I for one (and I know many others) have experienced premature dinigration of fluid, major leaks and $900 gasket jobs. You might want to google the issue and consider replacing your original anti-freeze (or subsequent Dex Cool replacement asap) as well as joining the class action.
    I've been using DexCool since 1998 without any problems on 2 GM vehicles. My 2004 Malibu with the all aluminum Ecotec engine has it as factory fill. Dexcool is formulated for aluminum blocks and heads. It will void the warranty on a new GM vehicle if any other coolant is used. The problem occurs when other coolants are mixed with it. This often happens when service centers "top up" fluids. Short answer - DO NOT change your factory fill DexCool for any other coolant. Rather, to be safe, drain the DexCool after 2 years or so, flush, and refill with fresh DexCool.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    In between football games, let me be the first to wish all of my cyber friends a happy T-Day. This unarguably is the best forum on Edmunds. While a 19k car is not significant for many Americans, for others like myself, this forum is an invaluable asset to keeping a major purchase in top running condition. Long live the Maxx. My best to all of us who make this forum what it is, and who do their part to make every part of the Malibu (from electric steering components to Dexcool fluids) understandable to the common car owner. :D
  • maxxolivermaxxoliver Member Posts: 78
    Right back at you maxx4me. Happy T-Day to all and thank you for all that you share to help those of us who need it. My feelings are the Maxx is the best car I have ever owned even with it's little problems now and then. I look forward to reading this forum everyday and I gain a lot from it. :) So to all have a great holiday.
  • handsbobhandsbob Member Posts: 4
    I have the same thing on my 1998 3.1 liter. What happens is it will run at 2500 rpm sometimes , other times it will run ok, other times it will stall, that is the idle will drop off. Is this similar and if so what did you to correct it. The car has 172000 miles
  • maxx05maxx05 Member Posts: 1
    i have 05 maxx LS with 12,000 miles on it and my front tires(bridgestones) are wearing badly dont know if has to do with the way it pulls to the right or not, because both front tires are wearing unevenly. I check the pressure about once every two weeks and keep them properly inflated. lam going to take it to dealer this week and see what they have to say. And get front brakes fixed.(gm brakes suck) Anyone else have this tire problem?
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    wearing badly.....worn on the inner or outer edges...flat spotting....how are the tires wearing....almost 25k on my OEMs...put another 30K on factory upgrades...and never had any significant wear......sounds like you have an alignment problem...
  • redmaxxredmaxx Member Posts: 627
    I've been using DexCool since 1998 without any problems on 2 GM vehicles. My 2004 Malibu with the all aluminum Ecotec engine has it as factory fill. Dexcool is formulated for aluminum blocks and heads. It will void the warranty on a new GM vehicle if any other coolant is used. The problem occurs when other coolants are mixed with it. This often happens when service centers "top up" fluids. Short answer - DO NOT change your factory fill DexCool for any other coolant. Rather, to be safe, drain the DexCool after 2 years or so, flush, and refill with fresh DexCool.

This is not true. You can add another coolant, but it voids the extended life of the DexCool. There is also not a problem mixing in another coolant. Problems arise when the system is not maintained (people a decieved by GM's marketing into thinking its maintenance free for 5yrs/150k) properly. It needs to be checked regularly like the oil and it should be at or above full.

Besides those items there were some vehicles that did not have good radiator caps from the factory. Poor design on GM's part but it was not other coolants that caused the failure.
  • meandmymaxxmeandmymaxx Member Posts: 134
    Same thing happened to me today when going into the dealer for a oil change, no turn signal. It worked 1 block earlier when I turned onto the street then failed when I turned into the dealer. I remembered reading this thread and tried the 4 way flashers and they worked fine. And the turn signals worked after that, and I couldn't get it to do it again for the dealer (Naturally) 05 Maxx LT Any Ideas????
    I forgot to ask when you found one turn signal not working did you happen to try other side as well?
    So why does it void the extented life of the DexCool? Because it screws up the formula that is supposed to protect aluminum. Just remember too that radiators and heater cores are also aluminum in modern cars and DexCool was formulated to protect these as well as aluminum blocks and heads. Mixing other coolants with DexCool has also been reported to form a crud.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    They said that even using an antifreeze tester that has some residue from the green antifreeze would contaminate the DexCool...

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Yes I did, and neither side worked. It has been fine ever since.
  • skyhawkskyhawk Member Posts: 126
    My left front turn signal failed. I went to change the front bulb and there was nothing wrong with the bulb. I brought it to the dealer and they changed the front left light module as it had an electrical short. This is only the second warranty issue other than recalls. I continue to be very pleased with this car.
  • carproblemscarproblems Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problems with that very very bad creaking sound in the back of the car. GM has had my car over 32 days and spent a lot of money on the problem. I got fed up and jacked the car and found the problem myself and try the silicon spray. It was not the rubber bushings it was a brake line bumping the frame. A little foam part that cost less then one cent had moved out of place and was allowing the break line to hit the frame just after the conectio0n to the rubber line that feeds the wheel. As the wheel moved it would make the metal line rub and shake and cause the funny noise in the car. I thought that this little problem could not be the cause of all this creaking but it was.
  • glennbglennb Member Posts: 34
    I have had five occurances of turn signal problems on my '04 Maxx. The dealer replaced the rear lamp sockets, and 2 occurances of the right front signal not working were fixed when I re seated all the relay modules in the fuse box (that may have been totally coincidental though). One occurance of my right front signal not working was a burnt out bulb. In contrast, my '93 Voyager van has never had a signal or brake bulb burn out in 133000 miles (hope I didn't jinx myself now.) When I took my Maxx in earlier this week for the radio and steering column replacement ( the on/off knob graphic was wearing off, they had to replace the entire radio)I noticed the upper level brake light was burnt out. That had to be replaced as well. This car does seem to suffer from a glitchy electrical system.
  • ma_maxxma_maxx Member Posts: 2
    Purchased a 05 Malibu Maxx LT last Sunday. Had to turn around on interstate after 20 miles and return it because of full vehicle vibration. Dealership offered to upgrade us to fully loaded 05 LT at same price. We agreed and left the dealers lot. This 05 LT with 5 miles on OD had same problem but to a lesser degree!!. Returned car a couple days later to have wheels re balanced. Service consultant said car still has vibration and that GM recommends that I drive car for 1000 miles and bring it back if problem still exists. Has anyone had a similar problem? Can a car develop this kind of problem from sitting on a lot for close to a year? Two new vehicles with similar problem!!! :cry:
  • kurtamaxxguykurtamaxxguy Member Posts: 677
    CU has consistantly reported Malibus and many GM cars having electrical problems as they get into 3 or more years of age. I am starting to see glitches in my Maxx (mostly centered around ignition switch) - not serious yet, but a cause for concern.

ma_maxx, if the car has been sitting in place for a __long__ time the tires can develop flat spots and then the car will vibrate excessively when driven. Do you feel the vibration/thumping at low speeds? Also, does the vibration change "character" after you turn a corner (turning will make the wheels change position with each other)?
  • ma_maxxma_maxx Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your response. Vehicle vibration can be felt from 35/40 all the way up to 80 mph. Not sure if it changes character when turning a corner but will look for that tomorrow. I hope that is all it is and that a new set of tires will cure it because I am sure that I will be bringing it back the week after next when it reaches 1000 miles.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    If both cars have set a long time, it might be the tires. It could be poor balancing. It could be the tires are out-of-round, possibly from sitting.

If there's any question about the tires, as for Michelin replacements.

There were problems with rigid bodies and light suspension weight for parts that caused vibrations to amplify on some Devilles, Sevilles, Park AVe, Auroras, and LeSabres. These were fixed by replacing with Michelin Symmetry tires and using road force balancers (Hunter 9700). Most dealerships now have these for correcting problems.

But the vibrations from those are subtle. They are not strong like an out-of-round tire or out-of-balance tire gives. They also seemed to transient. They were there varying with temperature, road surface, full gas tank, in different amounts.

You sound like yours were definite problems.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• josephusjosephus Member Posts: 32
    Ever since I bought my first GM product, a 2000 Alero, and now with my 05 Malibu I bought a year ago; I've always monitored GM's Techlink site, to see about certain issues the car may develop. It was quite helpful, sometimes, in diagosing.

Now...it looks like, they're no longer allowing us public plebs to monitor the site:

"For security, the TechLink website is being moved behind a General Motors firewall and will no longer be available to the public."

Wonder why? :(
  • gkgtcheygkgtchey Member Posts: 2
    My son and I are going to look at a 2002 malibu today for his first car. It has 49,000 miles on it. I want to know if there are any known defects or problems with it before I go. Anyone know anything about that year. The seller seems eager to get rid of it...
    As far as I can tell, the 97,98,and 05 models all seem to have brake problems or power steering issues. I may be reading more into that than is there. I just want to be thorough.
  • nick2006matrixnick2006matrix Member Posts: 42
    My Dad has the 2002 with much less mileage on it. He bought it new. I was surprised that the front struts needed to be replaced already. They were covered under the regular warranty. Other than that the car has been flawless and I hope he can pass the car along to my son in a few years for his first car. I feel it is an excellent choice for a first car. What is the asking price? (Just out of curiousity)
  • gkgtcheygkgtchey Member Posts: 2
    He is asking 5,000. Thanks for the info.
  • gonogogonogo Member Posts: 879
    GM is trying hard to keep us from being able to fix our own cars, it is a good way to keep up on how to repairs and the new technology.
    I think they don’t want us to know what problems they have identified, most owners will not know what problems GM is having.
    For some reason I have a car that idles all over the place. Sometimes it runs 2500 RPM and other times it stalls. Most of the time it runs ok. Does anyone have an idea or have had a car that did the same.
    It's very simple - GM wants us to take our cars to dealers for repairs. Well I have news for them. Only under extreme circumstances will I be taking my car into a dealer for anything. I don't even trust them for an oil change.

But rest assured that all knowledge about any car finds its way onto the internet. So I'm not worried. They can keep their precious TechLink.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    good price. I'm sure it is that low for a reason. Take a nice long test drive and have it checked out by a mechanic.
  • vermonter2vermonter2 Member Posts: 2
    I wonder if someone can suggest something and save me a trip to the dealer. My remote starter has only been working off and on since a rain-turning-to-ice storm a week or so ago. I suspect that it has something to do with water in the lock mechanism freezing and sending a signal that the door is not properly locking. The problem goes away briefly now and then, and I think it may be when the weather gets warm enough. I was hoping the water would drain away completely, but so far no luck. Any ideas? Thanks.
    It would not be due to the condition you are describing. Although you have to press the "LOCK" button on your key fob it is not required that the doors actually lock for the remote starter to function. So it is likely something else. Unfortunately since you have a 2005 I don't have any recommendations that you could try out on your own to understand why you might be having intermittent operation. Most likely will need to take to dealer.

You don't have any "Check Engine Light" on occassionally, do you? That will prevent remote start from working.
  • redmaxxredmaxx Member Posts: 627
    So why does it void the extented life of the DexCool? Because it screws up the formula that is supposed to protect aluminum. Just remember too that radiators and heater cores are also aluminum in modern cars and DexCool was formulated to protect these as well as aluminum blocks and heads.

Simple. GM can only gaurantee the protection package in DexCool as long as it remains in the 50/50 mixture from the factory. Start adding regular green coolant, which doesn't contain the same protection package and would you be willing to certify that it goes 150k miles?

Mixing other coolants with DexCool has also been reported to form a crud.

Those reports are incorrect. The crud and sludge is when you introduce air into the system by not keeping it full (and in the case of systems that aren't self burping) and not getting all the air out. Try letting a green coolant go for a few years running low and see what happens.
    Ok, you win. There is enough internet chatter about DexCool without having to have more about it on this forum so I'll just bow out on this one.
  • prince6prince6 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem with mine It has been in the shop for the past 4 days and the tec. can't find what the problem is. I was searching for troubleshoutins and I think that it has to do with the theft system. The car will stall or the idles will go down or shut of. Even when you turn it on again it will do it several time. My car has been checked from top to bottom and everything is excelent
    If you come up with something else let me know.
    good luck
    How long are you holding the start button?? I found on my 05 LT that I have to hold it for 3 maybe 4 seconds after hitting the lock button,for the starter to kick in, even tho the manual says 2 seconds. Just a thought.
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    skylight area is indeed prone to rattles. My '04 Maxx visited a GM clinic 5 months into its life and they had the skylight trim off to add various shims and stuff to reduce rattles. But the dome light was missed, and began to misbehave shortly afterward. Ditto the seat headrest holders, which had to have their plastic inserts glued to the metal holders.

Another noisy area in the '04 Maxx is the rear trim on the hatch. If, when you close the hatch, you hear a loud squeak or shriek, the metal fasteners of the plastic trim are grating on the aluminum hatch body. I had to remove all of mine, coat them with plastic tape, and reassemble - the hatch squeaks are pretty much gone now.
  • maxxolivermaxxoliver Member Posts: 78
    My problem seems to be mainly the dome light. Did you get yours fixed completely? I will be taking mine back to the dealer next week they can't seem to get the rattle to go away. I wonder if they need to replace the headliner to fix it. They put in foam insulation and it just makes the sunroof cover harder to open.
    The roof rattle is about the only problem our first Maxx didn't have. But in some respects it is the most annoying. I just turn the stereo up but that does not work when you have passengers in the car or my husband.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    If you are havign problems with stalling, you may have the mechanic check either the ignition module or crankshaft sensor. Because the igntion is on the dash, it's susceptible to wear. Ver common problem.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    someone..disassembled the light and reglued the magnet that apparently holds it tight to the roof..that was his problem......I hate for a dealer to do any interior work...most can do engines...not interior.....good luck
  • lotusjaylotusjay Member Posts: 17
    My noise (2004 Maxx LT) was coming from the forward end of the divider between the rear sunshades. It wasn't a rattle but a SQUEAK that could be heard over every bump, and whenever a door was slammed. I inserted a spring at this point between the glass moon-roof and the metal bracket that the sunshades retract into. The spring was approximately 1/2" wide and 1" long. The tension of the spring keeps things quiet except over the most severe bumps.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    since we're on a squeeky topic here, I fixed my sunroof squeek. Last summer, I put female velcro on the metal bar which moves up and down with the opening/closing of the sunroof. I placed the velcro in front and behind the two springs. That didn't solve all the problem. This week, I put two strips across the center of the metal bar (where the sunroof contacts the metal bar. That did it. There's nothing duct tape and velcro can't fix. What a country!
  • sblfromnssblfromns Member Posts: 14
    Hi All,

Does anyone know what size the lug nuts are on the '04 Malibu LT with 16-inch wheels? I need to buy a socket to use with my Torque Wrench to properly torque the nuts. I'm assuming that it takes metric size but am not sure...

Thanks in advance...
  • jim_in_ohiojim_in_ohio Member Posts: 21
    Thanks to those who gave advice for and against getting the transmission howl fix on the 2004 Maxx. We had it done this week (with about 250 miles to spare on the warranty). I had always thought the car was quiet, but it is even quieter now with no "whine" in lower gears. The dealership (Jeff Wyler, Springfield, OH) was very professional and gave my wife a loaner (Jeep Cherokee) to drive during the three-day procedure. The only criticism I have is the service manager insisted on changing the transmission fluid first to see if that would make the noise go away. When it didn't, we were stuck with a bill for price of the fluid and the labor to change it.
  • gonogogonogo Member Posts: 879
    250 miles to spare, you were smart getting it done. Strange on the fluid change when it's a TSB. Shop must needed some business.
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    Wish they could get my '04 maxx's columm/steering gear right; has been replaced once/ serviced 3 times already and has now been diagnosed as needing replacement again. Not inspiring for keeping the car once its warranty is up.

Also, is anyone else noticing a lot of driveline lash in their older Maxxes? Is this a symptom of the problematic transmissions that crept into part of the '04 mfr run?
    I have somewhat the same problem, but the idle most of the time is ok, but sometimes it will run 2500 rpm's other time it will stall. I heard that there is something that controls the idle. Because when th idle is at 2500 rpm you touch the gas and it goes faster. the mileage is alot 172000 miles, but ign switch or module seem ok. the part i heard was an idle electric motor, i guess it adjusts the idle, but i don't know. Any ideas?