Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevrolet Malibu: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Options
    bwolterbwolter Member Posts: 51
    I got the same story from my dealer (San Antonio, Texas). I still beg to differ, but I'll let it go for a while and see if anything else goes wrong. Don't want to take it in for every single thing.
  • Options
    Are you able to tell me info about my Maxx? such as steering column? etc. Last 6 is 167914.
  • Options
    e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    02/06/04. Did you have column replaced? What was your complaint? I kind of thought you would have late updated part in your vehicle already.
  • Options
    Gee, I had already looked it up before
    09/20/04
  • Options
    prdmprdm Member Posts: 145
    Thank you.
    Peter-
  • Options
    duffdduffd Member Posts: 9
    e2helper did they corret the fuel gauge and check gas cap problem in the 2005 model year I have a 2005 LT maxx and have had the check gas gap message once and I have the fuel gauge problem of never registering full. Vin #101773 would appreciate you telling me anything you can about this vin#
  • Options
    sorry it is an 2005 LS not LT model.
  • Options
    06/15/2004, early 2005 model.

Bulletin #04-08-49-025 states both 2004 and 2005 Maxx are affected.

I am sure it is corrected in current 2005 production but believe that there was a certain range of Maxxs affected that spanned 2004-5 model.

The bulletin isn't specific about VINs or build dates however I believe you are in range where it likely is occurring and your experience kind of proves it.

Did you get wireless headphone set with your Rear Seat Audio system?
  • Options
    yes I got the wireless headphones
  • Options
    sgr5516sgr5516 Member Posts: 163
    e2helpher - Just curious, on my 04 Maxx LS (VIN 178793, built Feb 04) the gas gauge has always read full and I have never had the check gas cap message. If the gas tank is a bad design, why aren't all cars affected. Could a car have tank with bad design but work OK? Or was there more than one tank design being used during a production run?
  • Options
    tra2883tra2883 Member Posts: 79
    I was wondering if anybody else had their howling transmission fixed, and how long it took for the repair. Also, are there any TSBs out on this issue, so I could mention it to the dealer if I decide to have it fixed?

Also, e2helper, I'm sure you're tired of looking up people's build dates, but could you please look mine up and see if there's calibration updates I should be aware of? Last 6 of the VIN is 202032.

Thanks!
  • Options
    envoyleeenvoylee Member Posts: 6
    Just got my 2004 Malibu LS sedan back from dealer, where it had been for a week. It failed to start several days, had a dead battery, and I do mean dead. After I would charge it up, it was fine until the next day. Problem seemed to be the 6 disc CD radio, it was grounding out the battery. The radio was replaced and so far so good. Anyone else had this problem, or heard of this problem. Sure would hate to be caught somewhere with a dead vehicle. Otherwise the car is a pleasure to drive. By the way, bought the vehicle new last April, and it has 4950 miles on it.
  • Options
    I believe this was a specific issue with fuel tank warpage that occurred for a period of time after your vehicle was built.
  • Options
    Soon I will know everyone's (LOL)

Your's is 03/31/2004. It was built prior to the latest powertrain calibration, so yes there is an update available (TSB 04-06-04-080)

Sorry, but I don't have any first-hand experience on transmission issues but I think it is covered in TSB 04-07-30-021A. BTW they have to pull the transxle from vehicle to change the part so a pretty big job.
  • Options
    Thank you very much e2helper!

Anybody in here had the transmission howl fixed?
  • Options
    michiganmaxxmichiganmaxx Member Posts: 72
    tra2883, I would describe the sound I hear as something like a low-pitched groan or whine...and only upon initial acceleration. It's not overly disturbing but it is a sound I don't believe I've heard on other GM vehicles I've driven. So far, I'm inclined to see if it gets any worse before contacting the dealer about it. I too am wondering if others hear the same "howl, groan, or whine". And
    I'm also curious as to whether anyone else has had the transmission serviced for that reason.
  • Options
    From the bulletin.

Some customers may comment on a growl or howl type noise during light to moderate acceleration from a stop. This noise is load and engine RPM sensitive and will occur between 1500 RPM to approximately 2300 RPM. The noise is most noticeable in first and second gear. The noise may dissipate prior to the 1-2 shift, but will be noticed again in second gear depending on the load and engine RPM. The pitch of the noise will change during the 1-2 shift.

The noise is due to the new 5/8 inch drive link assembly being at a resonant frequency during certain driving conditions.
  • Options
    maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    I have the noise all the time during upshifts. It doesn't bother me a bit. I sure don't think it is worth taking my tranny off of the car, risking leaks and damage just for this noise. It will be interesting for all of us to monitor if there is any higher failure rate among those Bu's who have had the 5/8 inch drive replaced, or those who have not.
  • Options
    trw2trw2 Member Posts: 1
    I just took my vehicle into the dealership for the problem you are describing. They described it as excessive crank time, however they told me they couldn't duplicate the problem after I left it there (not that I was surprised) Anyway, I have no idea how to fix it. I would like to know if anyone else has come up with a concrete solution. I don't like the idea of having a brand new car that sounds worse that the one I traded in when I try to start it. I've never had it not start, but I don't want to have that happen to me next.
  • Options
    I don't know build date of your vehicle but if not the latest they might want to update the calibration.
  • Options
    That's the noise that I hear in my Bu... But I'm nervous about them correcting it for any future problems that could arise from them dropping the tranny. Sure, it's all warrantied, but I wouldn't want the hassle. The only reason I'd choose to do it, is because the noise is kind of embarassing. Here I've got a nice brand new car, but it makes this noise that make passengers either ask me if I'm singing, or say "what the hell is that?"
  • Options
    jlwgmjlwgm Member Posts: 8
    This forum is great! And e2helper the greatest!! I bought my 2004 Maxx LS 2 weeks ago and just started the Gas Cap warning problem. Will call the dealer today.....But otherwise I really love this car!

E2helper - I have 2 questions for you - 1st, of course is build date; and 2nd - Like an idiot, I let my hatch go up in the parking garage without checking the clearance first. So when my Maxx was only 3 days old, I got a ding right on the bend on the hatch. After taking it to the body shop for an estimate, I decided it was more of a cute dimple since they wanted 500.00 to fix a nickel sized ding.....But my question is - is the hatch double walled? Or can I take off the inside panel and maybe try to push out the "dimple" myself?? Thanks so much for your help! Here's my VIN - 1G1ZT64854F249181
  • Options
    skyhawkskyhawk Member Posts: 126
    e2helper, this is the last 6 digits of my vin. I took delivery march 8th so it must have been an early build.

Thank you
  • Options
    kurtamaxxguykurtamaxxguy Member Posts: 677
    jlwgm, I've had the trim off my hatch to fix metal fastener squeaks (trim's pretty easy to pull off near the window edges) and no, the hatch is not double walled. Depending where your ding is, it may be pretty easy to press/pound back out.

Those trim squeaks can be fixed, incidently, by applying a thin layer of packing (fiberglass reinforced) tape over the trim's metal fasteners before remounting the trim.
  • Options
    kurt had a better answer than me. One thing I would mention is that that hatch it made of aluminum I think - don't know if that might affect its dent resistance (like make it more suceptible - it is certainly lighter). I am an electrical guy, not a body guy if you can't tell :)
  • Options
    You didn't need to give out the whole VIN but thx.

Wow, you have an extremely late build of 2004 model:
    6/10/04.

Actually just a couple days later they were building 2005 model vehicles.

It makes sense you are seeing the gas cap warning. You probably also were having the fuel gage not go all the way to "F" when you filled it, right?
  • Options
    I think that was an incomplete message #753, Skyhawk.

Send another one when you get a chance
  • Options
    karunchkarunch Member Posts: 8
    Well I went and picked my car up last night from the dealer (they had to replace the steering column), and I wish that I didn't. It's amazing, I went from absolutely loving my 2004 Malibu Maxx LS, to now I can't stand driving it. This is going to sound crazy, but my car doesn't seem like my car. I kind of wonder if maybe they somehow might have taken my license plate, and put it on the back of another car and gave me that to drive home last night. Everything just seems wrong....

My car is idling really rough, enough so that I have an appointment to drop it off tomorrow at the dealership located by my work. The steering doesn't seem right either. Driving home from work tonight on the Turnpike, it felt like I had to do alot more "steering" then normal, if that makes sense. It feels like the car wants to keep pulling to the left. The car is also feeling really sluggish as well, like it doesn't have as much "get up and go" like it did before the problem last Wednesday night. When I got home I popped the hood because the car sounded wierd, and it just seems way noisier then normal..

I absolutely loved my car up to this point, but if I was able to afford to right now, I'd be trading my Maxx in for a NON-GM vehicle!!!!!!
  • Options
    I just had my howling transmission fixed on my Maxx. The car was in the shop for over a week due to parts availability. At first they told me there was nothing wrong, until I gave them the TSB number. Then they fixed it. It is so quiet now. If you have the work done, make sure the steering wheel is aligned correctly. For some reason, when I got mine back it was off center. But, they fixed it. Also, the mechanic did not torque the cradle enough and that caused popping thuds. I took it back and he torqued the bolts and now it's fine. Here is the TSB stuff (I got it from this site in one of the messages).

ASI Resolution - Growl or Howl Type Noise From Transmission/Engine Compartment During Light to Moderate Acceleration from a Stop (Replace Drive Link, Drive Sprocket and Driven Sprocket) #04-07-30-021A - (Jul 2, 2004)
  • Options
    Have not had a problem with steering (6000 miles). I was wondering about date to see if I have the earlier column or the later one. Domelight switch shorted, howling transmission (both fixed). Dealer didn't know about any "calibrations", and I haven't had a problem with idle or gas gap, etc.
  • Options
    I am pretty sure you have the newer column based on your VIN, bwolter.
  • Options
    karunch :(

A few suggestions. If they did only a steering column change on this visit and you now are having these problems I suggest that the dealer make sure they did all the appropriate zeroing procedures of the new column. The column has both a torque and handwheel sensor in it that the power steering module needs to "learn". Maybe the technician didn't do one of these procedures? This might mess up the "feel" of the steering quite a bit.

Perhaps the other complaints could all be explained by extra noise? Maybe in the process of replacing the column the intermediate shaft/seal that goes thru the front of dash had the seal dislodged and so you are getting too much engine noise into passenger compartment?

Please post back on your experience and again I feel very bad about your experience and hope that you are able to start enjoying your vehicle again soon
  • Options
    My vin # is 159527. e2helper one of the features I really like is the ignition on the dash.
    Thanks
  • Options
    1/26/04
  • Options
    occkingoccking Member Posts: 346
    Any you guys out there have any problems with headliner over front passenger separating from the plastic it tucks into over the door? Just noticed this & have appt to have it taken care of next week. Otherwise, will have 20k on vehicle when I return from Quebec on Friday no other problems at all. No transmission howl, no problem with steering & no problem with gas tank/cap like many on this board seem to have. Still getting great highway mileage -- hi 20's & low 30's, rarely ever less than 23 or so in prodominantly non-highway driving.
  • Options
    steve12steve12 Member Posts: 2
    I know your pain. I have had my 2004 Malibu in the shop 4 times for this same steering problems.
    On the last trip the dealer did several adjustments that did not help. On the repair receipt was a note (no problem found with steering) I was also told that they could adjust the front end to the right which would make the tires wear out quicker if I still had the pulling left problem. The loaner car a 2004 Malibu also had the same steering problem.
  • Options
    jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    I knew that our Malibu LT sedan was an early production build model, but this is getting annoying, not leastwise because the car was meant for my significant other, and after our experiences with the previous generation Malibu (coincidentally, also a first model year car- 1997), she's understandably nervous when something happens with THIS one..

1. Damaged / defective power mirror adjustment switch. I blame this one on the fact that the car was a showroom model, and every Tom, Dick, and Jerry that sat in it played with the controls..
    2. Damaged door panels / control switch bezels. This was the dealership's fault. When they "repaired" the switches, they broke the tabs that keep the bezels in the panel and scratched the panel with a screwdriver or something when taking it out. We moved less than a month after buying the car, and the new dealership is taking care of these for us under warranty (though they managed to make a bigger mess of the passenger side door panel than it already was while checking it out. sigh)
    3. Electric power steering failure. Replaced under warranty. So far, so good with the replacement.
    4. 6 disc in dash CD changer decides to make the 3 discs loaded a permanent part of its collection, and oh, btw, refuses to play them or load / eject.. The replacement came in last week and was installed last Friday. CDs working fine again. (For the record, the dealer REFUSED to do ANY disassembly of the old unit to return our CDs. Fortunately, the service center that gets the old units for repair got them out, and sent them back to our dealership. Our parts dept. is holding them now, according to the phone message we got yesterday, just prior to..)
    5. Wife was at a Dr.'s appt. yesterday evening, I was home with our kids. She called me immediately after her appointment because the stereo display showed "Check DAB" for a few seconds after she first got into the car. She stopped off at the local coffee shop, and when she got back in, it did it again. Other than these two occurrances, it hasn't happened since, and everything SEEMS to be working okay. (Yes, it's even loading, playing, and ejecting CDs just fine. XM works okay as well.)

Needless to say, I first came here (vaguely recalled seeing that 'DAB' thing before). After reading up on your advice to the previous poster, e2helper, I called our service department. I even referred to the code that you mentioned. Unfortunately, our service guys say that the number sounds like something for the parts department to look up (!?!), and that it means nothing to them (service guys). Instead, we've gotta take the car in to them to be looked at if anything's to be done.. (not that I figured they CAN do anything right now- 1. brand NEW replacement unit, 2. your previous post alludes to new software sometime in the future, etc., 3. Is this code even STORED anywhere?) My wife checked the Owner's Manual, and lo and behold, the error is listed in a table there, and supposedly means a Hardware Failure (concerning XM, from what my wife said).

To finish a long post, this ISN'T helping my wife's confidence in this vehicle. As much as I love the ride, handling, solid feeling, spaciousness, gadgetry, etc. in this car, we felt the same about our OLD Malibu, and those feelings did nothing to prevent constant hassles with unexpected trips to the service department (and later, $$$ out of our pockets..)

sigh..
  • Options
    bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    The other day I was cleaning inside of windshield and noticed the edge of headliner, where it meets top of windshield, seemed ragged pretty much all the way across. It looks like it should have been tucked in underneath a piece of trim or something. I will have to check another Maxx at the dealer and see if they look the same. I had figured this was just a poor assembly/design characteristic of the Maxx.

Can anybody else weigh in on this one?
  • Options
    ahodgesahodges Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2001 Malibu. It has been to the dealership twice for Theft system promblems. I have spent over 1500.00 getting the car fixed. Now my horn honks for no reason. I pull up and put it into park and it honks and then if you open the door it honks. I have told the dealership about it but they cannot figure out what is causing the horn to go off by it's self. can any one help me?
  • Options
    sgr5516sgr5516 Member Posts: 163
    I have trans howl in my 04 Maxx LS too (Feb 04 build). I was on fence about having it fixed. I too am worried about them messing up the trans. However, I have a 6 yr 90k X-warranty that would cover problems they cause. I plan to keep car more than 6 yrs as I really like this car.

I am more worried that if I don't have it fixed now, the chain may fail after the X-warranty has expired. The noise is caused by the 5/8 chain being at a resonant frequency. To me this means it is vibrating like a tuning fork. I would guess that the chain was not designed to tolerate this constant vibration and it will eventually fail.

So I have decided to have mine fixed. Any problems caused by the fix will most likely surface during the next 5.5 yrs so they would be covered.
  • Options
    islandpeteislandpete Member Posts: 94
    Maxx LT 2004 was at the dealers for two days and to solve the fuel gauge problem they changed the gas tank (Warped). Now instead of reading a notch below on fill up, it reads a notch above the "F". Very satisfied with this :-) As for the brakes, the rear rotors had to be turned down and the pads were lightly sanded and there is no more roughness on applying the brakes during hard stops. Hope this is it. Would like to just drive this vehicle and enjoy it. Hope the rest of you resolve your problems and once more a note of appreciation to our chairman, e2helper for being there with advice when we need it. Thanks :-)
  • Options
    Hi,

If you tap/pound on the steering wheel does the horn also honk? Or does it only happen under the condition where you put the vehicle in Park or when you open the door?

Does it happen every time you put vehicle in Park or open the door?

Does the horn honk briefly or for a long period of time?

If it happens every time you open the door does it occur when open any door or just the driver door?

Sorry for all the questions but I am sure I will have a few more after you answer these :)
  • Options
    townhometownhome Member Posts: 104
    Sorry about your problems jerrywimer. I think most of us have been frustrated with cars at sometime or another. My new '96 Saturn left my wife and I stranded six times before we traded it in at 59,000. That would be six different things that went wrong requiring a tow truck! For as long as I can remember, my dad bought a new Maxima every 4 years, and they all had two or three things that the dealer needed to fix, and now his 2002 525i will be going to the dealer for the third time to get a whole list of things taken care of. My cousin's 2004 7 series went back to the dealer three times in two weeks for electrical problems. She spent more time driving a loaner Astro van than her new BMW! My whole point is, we're dealing with machines and we shouldn't let them get us down, as for the most part they are pretty dependable, even though sometimes it doesn't seem like it. (Also, your dealer doesn't sound very hot -- is there another one nearby? A good dealer will make you feel better.)
  • Options
    davismaxxdavismaxx Member Posts: 33
    I, too, dimpled my hatch (by slamming it too hard--my finger left a dent). I had a dent removal specialist fix it--cost $50.00 and looks like new. There are many of these around, with names like DentPro and DentX. I'd recommend that rather than doing it yourself.

Raoul
    vin 237245
    Davis, CA
  • Options
    townhometownhome Member Posts: 104
    Does anyone thing it's a big deal that my DIC no longer says my car is LOCKED when I use remote start? It stopped saying it a few weeks ago, but I didn't realize until it did display it yesterday. Then today, it didn't say it. Everything else seems fine.
  • Options
    jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    thanks for the encouragement, townhome. I just needed to vent. We really do like this car, much better than any other vehicle I've owned yet. It's just frustrating sometimes, because I've had several (relatively) troublefree vehicles, and this one's been in the shop so many times already. To top off my list, we also have that transmission howl. Like a few others here, I've elected to let it go, rather than risk the shop messing something else more critical up in the process of trying to "fix" it. :P

I'm also really glad it hasn't left us sitting (the '97 DID that on two occasions) too.

The current dealership is the best I've found in a reasonable distance from where I live so far (within around 60 miles). The dealership where I was prior to my move was the one that bothered me most..
  • Options
    staxstax Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2004 MAXX LS and noticed the transmission howl with around 1000 miles. At first I thought I could live with it, but then decided to have the repair done at 2000 miles. Took a day and a half for the work and testing, but it is perfect now. Over 3500 miles and no issues. The car was quiet before, except for the howl, but now it is completely silent. Very happy I got the work done.
  • Options
    ahodgesahodges Member Posts: 9
    It does not happen when you tap an the steering wheel. When you put in park or open one of the front doors. The honk is just a short honk almost like an alarm honk. Sometimes when i get out of the car and turn it off it honks and locks my doors. I think my car is possed. Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    The engine light came on because the car was running cool. Although the gauge read normal - halfway, the actual temp was about 4 degrees cooler than required. The fix was to change the thermostat. I have noticed that the car took longer to warm up than my other car. Time will tell.
  • Options
    It is not a big deal (IMHO). The LOCKED indication means that the radio has not received VIN information from the BCM and is in a theft mode.

This is the expected condition. The only thing unusual is that your radio is powering up during a remote start.

As long as when you turn ignition ON the radio becomes operational there is no concern.

If you want to follow up with any questions on this please do so :)