Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevrolet Malibu Accessories & Modifications

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
edited June 2014 in Chevrolet

Comments

• Options
    paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    anyone had any luck finding the window deflectors..(Ventshade) shown in the accessory catalog....I have called most of the chevy dealers in the nothern va area..and none have in stock...all have to order..and then tell me GM doesnt have them either..

ventshade makes them for the 2004 classic sedan...but the maxx has a cruved side rear window and the drivers side window is about 1-2 inches longer than the sedan....

any help?
  • Options
    deminindeminin Member Posts: 214
    Pao,
    You might try searching the manufacturers web site...search using "ventshade" or "ventvisor" from either Yahoo or Google...there are several hits. If visors are commercially available for the Maxx, the web-site should also give you sites that sell them.
  • Options
    oldntired1950oldntired1950 Member Posts: 151
    I just got my Maxx back from the dealer where I had splash guards (or mud flaps) installed. The price for parts was about $40, and the labor was $108 (1.2 hours @$90/hr). The parts have "Malibu" printed on them yet the technician had to "trim" the front flaps to stop tire rub in sharp turns. American engineering at its finest! I do have to say that they look great, and hopefully they will keep the quarter panels clean.
  • Options
    dispencer1dispencer1 Member Posts: 489
    This price seems a bit high. Are the mud flaps that hard to install? I've installed them in several cars and usually all you have to do is drill a couple of holes or install them under an existing trim strip. This kind of ranks with the $184 floor mats in the Solara. I think I'll stick with Autozone.
  • Options
    jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    I agree that the installation charge sounds excessive. On the other hand, $40 for the parts isn't really all that bad, especially since these are the type that are tailored specifically for this vehicle. I paid about the same for the GM mudflaps I have on my Trailblazer right now too. (The wife has vetoed mudflaps on our Bu'.)

And while installing them sounds easy, to do it right normally requires the removal of at least two tires to get enough room to work (usually the rear tires, since the fronts can be turned left or right as needed to get clearance for the drill / screwdriver).
  • Options
    dispencer1dispencer1 Member Posts: 489
    I remember the problems with rear clearance but apparentely I had room on my Buick. On one of my cars I had a chrome strip inside the wheel well, so as I recall I used the screwholes that were already there which saved my having to drill. I didn't have a problem with my Ranger because the standard tires are fairly small and I had room to work. If I had 4 wheel drive and large tires it would have been impossible. My 2001 Malibu was supposed to have come with mud flaps but didn't. I just wash it frequently.
  • Options
    well this is an ongoing saga...seems the vendor that made these for GM has gone out of business....no local GM dealer can find them in the DC area....even the gm site for accessories...http://www.chevroletaccessories.com/ cant get them....so anybody found them yet?

on another note..anyone consider a custom wheel...16X7.5 with a lower profile wider tire for their maxx? a 255/55/16 tire?

Anybody added a wind screen yet to the sunroof? Bene Vento has a nice clip no drill or tape application..the first Ive seen specifically for the 04 mailbu with the factory sunroof.
  • Options
    The mudflaps on my Maxx look great, but I still hear a tire rub during turns at any speed. Anyone else have this problem?
  • Options
    bvillarbvillar Member Posts: 1
    Anyone know where I can find aftermarket headers and exhaust for a 2000 Malibu w/ 3.1L V6?? Also any aftermarket internal engine parts would also be helpful.
  • Options
    saw your note and had to go look at my Maxx...turning the wheel as far left and right as it would go...I cant see how you would have any tire rub....as there appears to be several inches of clearance between the tire and the lower rear edge of both front fenders. As you noted in your first message the tech had to trim the flaps. Im wondering if they put the right set on the front..the accessory brochure calls out custom molded mud flaps...front and rear..and highlights the rear for the Maxx....could they have possibly mounted the wrong set in the front?
  • Options
    I have to agree with you on all accounts. First, I think they mounted the wrong parts... factory designed flaps wouldn't rub. Second, I look at the clearance on both front and rear, and I can't explain where the rub comes from, adding that the rub only happens in turns at a higher rate of speed. During turns from a standstill there is no rub, but turning a corner at 15+ mph and there it is. I'll have to make an issue of it when I take it in for the next oil change.
  • Options
    if anyone is interested...seems the GM source for the wind deflectors in now defunct..with no anticipated replacement. I have found them at www.weathertech.com.....the weatherflectors are TUV approved and crafted in Germany....currently they only carry the pair for the front windows..spoke to one of their reps..who stated the rear window set will be available in July. These mount using a flange vice the 3M adhesive on the outside of the window..ordered a set today and will update you when they arrive on ease of installation and quality...
  • Options
    tra2883tra2883 Member Posts: 79
    I just ordered a set of Side Window Visors for my 04 Malibu LT from my dealer... They're on back order, but apparently they're out there. Any ideas of where I can go to get a sunroof deflector? I saw somebody had mentioned Bene Vento earlier, but I couldn't find them...

Thank you!
  • Options
    popadopolispopadopolis Member Posts: 16
    For anyone interested,the part numbers for the molded splash guards for the Malibu sedan are as follows, front#12498916, Rear#12498917. Both list for $31.00 each. I got the salesmen to order them at dealer cost which was $21.70 each. I believe the fronts would be the same for the Maxx but the rear probably is a different number. The fronts are notched where they pass by the rocker panel. The fit is perfect and the look is "GREAT". I'll be installing them this week. Oh yea screws were included. Triedntru: Any chance you could find out the the material the brake pads are made of? I'm looking to change front and rear pads over to ceramic. While researching the ACDelco site there was a mention that "These pads might be OEM." I can't seem to find if this is indeed the case. I was hoping you could check this out,Thanks Dave.
  • Options
    I just received my window wind deflectors from weathertech (www.weathertech.com)....they are slightly more expensive than the OEM..but these slide in between the weather stripping and the wind frame and provides a clean installation...no 3M adhesive required and they dont mount on the outside the of the door frame like the OEM dealer ones...the rear window deflectors should be available next month per one of their tech reps I spoke with...also free shipping on the rear set if you order the front set now...would highly recommend these if you are looking for the side deflectors....

for the sunroof wind deflector you can order it here... www.protriminc.com click on the wind deflector...part number BV1213 they are slightly higher here..I got mine off ebay for $10 less from this same firm....easy installation and great looking..plenty of room for the XM and OnStar antennas as well.....I had the window deflectors and the sunroof deflector installed in 15 minutes..
  • Options
    Sounds like this is just what I'm looking for - how 'bout some pictures so we can see the installation?
  • Options
    I will try and get some pics tommorrow and post for you on both the sunroof deflector and the window deflectors...teh sunroof..is a simple clip on....no drill or adhesive....holds firm....had out tonight on I-95 runnin 75MPH and it drastically cuts down the wind noise....and the sunshades in teh back no longer rattle or pop loose due to the wind.......
  • Options
    Post pics of the installed sunroof and window deflectors here....click on photos once you get to the site

http://home.att.net/~p.oswald
  • Options
    Thanks! They say that one pictures is worth a thousand words. A very neat installation, and I really love the color too. I'm a little sorry I went with navy blue, but I hadn't seen the color when I bought the car, and expected a lighter color blue. The color has grown on me, but the red is really great looking. Hope you enjoy your Maxx as much as we enjoy ours!
  • Options
    got an ultimate guy toy for the car for father's day...a Magellan RoadMate 500 Plus GPS navigation system....so that is neatly mounted on the dash now....never have to asked for directions again! or at least ask her to ask directions!!!...cheers all
  • Options
    Hi pao!
    Please email me about the navigation system and the installation in your Maxx. I upgraded my OnStar service so that I can get road directions, reservation and such, but your navigation system sounds like the ultimate toy!
  • Options
    I just linked the magellan site on the website...it works like the hertz never lost system..I use a custom mount from pro fit international.....with 3M adhesive....to mount just to the left of the hazard button on the dash..will try to get a pic of it and post it later....the system isnt cheap....$900 for it....you might be able to shop around to find it cheaper....but usually 700-900 depending on where you get it from....it is a nice toy!
  • Options
    maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    well, I got my new Reese class 2 hitch put on my Maxx tonight. I was a bit skeptical that a company could make one that fit, knowing the Maxx has not been out that long, but (in the end) it did. There was some minor cutting and drilling involved, but my mechanic succeeded. I went out and bought a bike rack and should be biking the earth again in no time without worrying about scratching up my new car. $230 for the hitch, $80 to install, $130 for the bike rack, and around $25 for a good locking pin.
  • Options
    thanks for the info...do you have the part number of the reeese hitch you used....I too have a yakima bike rack that mounts in a hitch....so need to get one mounted on my maxx as well....how much custom cutting and drilling was required...most hitches are designed for a straight bolt on application.
  • Options
    here you go pao:

http://hitch-web.com/vhitch.asp?CLID=2&SM=LS+Maxx+Hatchback+5- - - +Door&DR=&MD=Malibu&C=Passenger+Car+or+Station+Wagon&- amp;- amp;- amp;MK=Chevrolet&Y=2004&SMBBID=1334-74&YID=86&CID- - - =3&MKID=12&DRID=5&MDID=795&OID=8&SMID=&cm- - - dNext=Next&BPID=6&VID=28121

there was a VERY small notch that the mechanic had to make so the metal would not hit a bolt. He also had to enlarge two holes with a drill. The website I am siting will tell you if there is a "no drill" policy for a hitch. In the case of the Maxx, I'm afraid a small bit of drilling is required. After watching him for 1.5 hours, I would seriously recommend a professional put it on when the car is on a lift. Also: Drawtite and Reese are the same company now. And pao: I don't think you and I live very far apart, should you want to get together to see my hitch and bike rack. I'm in Mt. Vernon.
  • Options
    MAXX4Me....you are right.not far at all..in Alexandria here...where did you purchase your MAXX?...Might came off the lot at Mike Pallone in Springfield......who locally installed the hitch for you?
  • Options
    mfletouvamfletouva Member Posts: 166
    I live in Alexandria too...over by Potomac Yards.

My fiance's over on South Washington St...

We purchased our Maxx at Anderson Chevrolet in Baltimore, MD. It was the only blue Maxx 1sb (and nothing else) in Northern Virginia and Maryland, plus the best price--invoice minus the holdback ($675 under), with no doc fees.
  • Options
    I've been working with Pallone for a GMPP. I got mine through my UBS at Jim McKay in Fairfax. My hitch was installed by my mechanic (Huntington Car Care) next to the metro for $79.
  • Options
    if you end up getting it thru Pallone let me know what the deal was...I working thru a GM dealer in Iowa, ...capperautocenter@hotmail.com, here are some of their quotes on the GMPP

60 months/100,000 miles
    >
    >$0 ded. $1570.00
    >$100 ded. $1285.00
    >$200 ded. $1070.00
    >
    >
    >
    >72 months/90,000 miles
    >
    >$0 ded. $1650.00
    >$100 ded. $1350.00
    >$200 ded. $1120.00
  • Options
    thanks pao. yes, I wrote down your figures some time ago. Now I know the e-mail address: thanks for that. Pallone is claiming they will sell me the warranty at "GM employee cost". There is some debate as to whether the figure they gave me was "GM employee cost". I'll keep you posted.
    Otherwise, as modifications go, does anyone know how to disable the MPH yellow light on the speedometer? I already know my car is calculating MPH; I don't need a yellow light to tell me this 24 hours a day!
  • Options
    their website is www.capperautocenter.com so you can get addition information on the GMPP as well.....Im havent been able to beat their prices yet....just havent finalized the deal yet...
  • Options
    if anyone is interested..here is the url to the bene vento sunroof deflector that I got off ebay..there is another one up...highly recommend this seller....you can call and pay with a credit card...and fast service....
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1- &item=7907347036&category=42612

this price is $10 cheaper than on their website

www.protiminc.com
  • Options
    remember: you have up to 12 months/12k miles before you have to make a decision. I plan on shopping this price for a while.
  • Options
    that falls through, check out Black Pontiac Cadillac in PA--the gm outlet they call themselves. Its similarly priced.
  • Options
    yep, the folks up in PA are exactly $30 higher in every category from the numbers you posted pao.
  • Options
    Nobody has quoted the 84/84 GMPP...
    I paid $2,300 for it with $100 deductible - the only consideration I could get from the dealer was for them to take another $300 off the internet price I was quoted. This was in January when the Maxx first made it to the dealer's showrooms.
  • Options
    I took you advice and jumped on the ebay item - thanks for the heads-up!
  • Options
    I'm confused. then what was your price??? $2,330 is the catelog price for your warranty. What did you pay?
  • Options
    edofloatedofloat Member Posts: 1
    I got the 48/100 GMPP Major Guard with $0 deductable and paid $1305.00
  • Options
    My GMPP cost me $2,300, or just about the catalog price - the compromise we came up with was to take a little more off the sale price of the car.
  • Options
    hope you like the product..Im very pleased with mine...easy installation....and looks good.....did you look into the GPS navigation system?
  • Options
    I'm interested in dealing for an extended warranty at our favorite dealer and would like to discuss.
  • Options
    I'd like to be in on that extended warranty discussion too, since your favorite dealer is right down the road too!
  • Options
    no I didn't...pls send again!
  • Options
    Matt: I just tried calling you at home. pao: you both should give me a call. Simply click on my pen name and look my number up in the local phone book. We'll devise a strategy for us to get a better deal than what I was offered. You also are welcome to see my hitch modification I made to my Maxx. Matt, I believe I park each day right next to your home. Give me a buzz, and I'll tell you what groundwork I've done so far on the warranty. Thanks.
  • Options
    I got your message when I got home from work last night...I'm going to try and call you this weekend but due to work (sometimes even weekends!) I'm a little tough to reach, so you can email me at MFLetou@aol.com too.

Thanks.
  • Options
    great. I just sent you the notes between pao and myself. My number is included in that note.
  • Options
    Protiminc has a Maxx sunroof wind deflector on ebay again for those who are interested....would highly recommend the product.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1- &item=7912304219&category=42612&sspagename=WDVW
  • Options
    Weathertech now has the complete set of window deflectors available now for the front and rear windows. Here is the website.

http://www.weathertech.com/store/vehsearch.asp?make_id=11&yea- r_no=2004&veh_id=1148&item_group_id=4&veh_opt_choice_- id=0#item_price
  • Options
    FYI...after some research and several calls to custom rim retailers..it appears there are currently no custom rims available on the market today to fit the 04 Malibu since GM changed its bolt pattern to 5X110 for this car...Talking with a dealer who did some exhaustive searching...only two other cars have this same bolt pattern...the Saturn I300 and another SAAB. As of now..no custom wheel manufacturer drills a bolt pattern to fit......
This discussion has been closed.