Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi S4 vs BMW M3

12346»

Comments

• kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
  • s4orcenjs4orcenj Member Posts: 4
    wait the link you put up has no comparison what so ever of the s4 to the 335i.. the rs4 being compared in the test and it beat the 335i?!! altho i do agree with you the 335i is a sick [non-permissible content removed] car especialy with a vishnu ecu upgrade. but id still rather have my 2001 S4 which i got for 13k that a 335i which costs like over 40k... they are sexy tho if i had 45k to just throw around i would deff pick one up.
    Read the map and see the timings of S4 vs 335.
  • I'm thinking of buying an S4, and I would like to put some mods on it. First, what is the biggest size wheel you can put on this car? Second, where can I look for wheels? I looked at tirerack.com and they don't have anything that I think would look really great on this car. I'm looking for something with 8 to 10 spokes. Second, where would be the best place to buy a chip? Does it matter? Are they all the same? Who can install the chip? Third, the dealer that I'm thinking of buying this car from says this car has Navigation, but I've been in one before and I don't know where it would be? Can this car with Navigation?

I appreciate your help and taking the time to answer my questions.
    You may get a wider audience in the Audi S4 forums. Create a new forum topic and re-ask your questions. Good luck.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f0a3036/
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Thanks Ken! I moved the post for the member.
  • jmarounjmaroun Member Posts: 151
    I'd like to chime in with the following observations and opinions..

- The current S4 shouldn't be compared against the M3..since
    the RS4 and or S5 are much more appropriate. The S4 compares
    with the 335i. Yes, 6cyl with tts can be > 8cyl.

- The new E92 M3 is less fun (and elegant IMO) than the E46 M3. Especially when comparing the 06 E46 with competition package against the E92 M3.

Frankly, I'm already looking forward to the next generation versions of the M3.
    Something tells me that BMW will revert back to its roots..and focus more on
    a lighter car with better low end torque while not interferring with driving feel (steering feel on this M3 has been criticized time and time again as being numb).
    I believe that a new redesigned M3 will come way sooner than the usual 7 year cycle..even with the current economic situation.

I hope that Audi follows through with their present movement in the right direction with their new 2009/2010 S4..with its super charged V6 S4.

The world NEEDS lighter BMW M3's and Audi S's since it seems the only other avenue available in a comparable $$ ball-park is a used P-CAR...and they'll still run you upward of $50k with two less useful seats!

Lighter, more low end torque, more fuel efficient. In a word or two.. down scale matter, up scale mind. This is a trend I hope all auto-manufacturers will pursue... Above all, I hope they remember the golden rule and purpose... FUN!

Joseph
    San Diego
  • Ok, so I'm in the market for a new car, and I'm thinking M3 or S4. My friend has a 04 S4 and he loves it, and I always gave him grief, b/c I told him that he should have gotten a M3....his response was, "You just don't understand."

Yesterday, I test drove both cars through a series of straight-aways, curves, etc. Let me just say this, if you own a M3, go test drive a S4. The M3 was jerky, loud, and uncomfortable. Then you step into the S4, refined, smooth, and comfortable. The first thing I said when I got into the S4 was, "Wow, these seats are comfortable!" This car is smooth like silk. I couldn't believe it. I actually fell in love for the first time of my life yesterday. The decision has been made to buy the S4. I finally understand what my friend was trying to explain to me. However, I will give BMW, major points on the exterior design. If you could replace everything else with Audi, that car would be something that couldn't be stopped. A car enthusiasts dream!

That's my 2 cents.
  • jmarounjmaroun Member Posts: 151
    Something tells me you're on to something enlightening.

I would've bought an S4 had it performed equally with 6 cylnders instead of its thirsty 8, was lighter by 200lbs and had improved mpg. I chose the next best thing, an 08 335i sedan with manual. The new M3 styling was as numb as it's steering feel. I considered an 06 M3 with competition package but its body style is dated and I figured the 335i might hold its value long enough if a superior car came along while offering a near equivalent experience.

I'm delighted with the 335i but am dissapointed with its clunky and quite rattley clutch / manual transmission. (google bmw clutch rattle. this was observed by bmw mechanics and claimed to be normal) First and second gear in the 335i are rarely pleasant experiences unless you go all out full throttle. :) Furthermore, symptoms of HPFP (fuel pump) failure are loomming (lately, my ignition times are intermittently taking upward of 5 to 7 seconds!). I figured that after more than two years, BMW would fix this well known and wide spread issue..but it seems that even my late production 08 model (june 08)..one of the last produced before the 09 LCI, may become part of the statistics as well.

That said, it isn't surprising that I've got my heart's hopes set on the new S4 comming out early to mid 2009. A 6cyl superchaged awd S4. It boasts better hp and torque than the 335i while weighing nearly the same (that is about 200lbs lighter than the current V8 S4)! Judging by early release pictures, the S4 will easilly out style any BMW.

I hope to trade or sell my 08 335i for the new S4 After reading the reviews..I eagerly await Edmund's review which is usually unbiased, informative and fair.
    :shades:

Joseph
    San Diego
This discussion has been closed.