Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Sierra Hybrid pickup

cowgyrl13cowgyrl13 Member Posts: 16
edited March 2014 in GMC
What is the latest on the GM Hybrid trucks? Are they going to offer them to the public or not?

Comments

• cowgyrl13cowgyrl13 Member Posts: 16
    I was on GM BuyPower and found the HP2 option on Sierra 1500 Extended Cabs only. I talked to a dealer that I've has some correspondence with in the past, and he knew nothing of it.
  • mr620mr620 Member Posts: 60
    they are johnny come lately again.
    also, not true hybrid as compare to toyota.
    DOD is also late too.
  • cowgyrl13cowgyrl13 Member Posts: 16
    I did find a write up about it. I was disappointed to know that there was only a 10 to 15% improvement in MPG. That is not much when you are already below 20MPG. :( I drive too far to justify the truck. That is why I got rid of my D-Max. :( Looks like we'll just have to stay truckless.

DOD?
  • rfruthrfruth Member Posts: 630
    GM is a day late and a dollar short when it comes to hybrids, yea there are hybrid fleet vehicles now but nothing for the rest of us and even the fleets get some half baked mild hybrids with DOD (displacement on demand) Ya GM is hyping hydrogen and I have some Ballard power systems stock (Ballard is big into fuel cells) http://www.ballard.com and thus I would love to see the hydrogen economy take off for a number of reasons but there are several big obstacles that need to be overcome first.
  • 6thbeatle6thbeatle Member Posts: 180
    i wish every auto manufacturer would start building hybrids. we all love cars, but i'm sure we all love the continued good health of our family, friends, pets, and the whole lovely planet even more.
  • evboevbo Member Posts: 6
    GM may be finding that they don't really deliver on improved fuel economy? A hybrid requires extra "parts", and thus they weigh more. These "parts" help it get better fuel economy in specific conditions, like on the EPA city test, but hurt fuel economy when its driven in other conditions. I suspect they will delay/suspend introduction for this reason. For a clear understanding of hybrid technology in layman's terms, read the book "Common Sense Not Required." Available at Amazon.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Agreed, this nominal increase in MPG will never justify the extra money. And I'm afraid of two things - one, this is just like GM to bring this out the cheap way and give us no real advantage, and second, I'm not sure hybrid technology is going to work in larger vehicles, so it's not going to last.
  • rfruthrfruth Member Posts: 630
    Bet you saw the whopping 1 MPG increase GM just announced http://wardsauto.com/ar/auto_gm_truck_tweaks/index.htm yep it is just like GM to go with a half baked idea and in the mean time Toyota & Honda are cleaning up, hope Ford with the Escape hybrid will join the fray cause hybrids are here to stay til a better solution comes along and there's nothing on my radar screen (hydrogen but that could take awhile) now, how about you ?
  • mcatsmcats Member Posts: 8
    The author, Evan Boberg, doesn't understand hybrid technology all that well... all cars will get different fuel economy figures under different conditions. The "parts" argument is bunk... at least for Toyota's hybrid system. The Prius HSD's power split device is deceptively simple... it's not really a transmissions, 'per say.' Look at John1701a's posts for more details. As for the Prius fuel economy:

http://homepage.mac.com/priustech/Prius/Menu9.html
    www.john1701a.com
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I'm not positive that Hybrid is going to endure yet. There is some promise of efficiency here, but only in small cars, and mostly in town. Probably good for comuters, but there's a lot of doubt in my mind that the extra cost and added weight and complexity will be compensated for in mileage unless you drive a lot of miles every day.
    I have more faith in diesel at the moment. Clearly though, this GM hybrid truck is a joke. I can't believe they ever brought it to market!
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I think the only real selling point is the built in Gen Set. It sure isn't the economy. I'm wondering if they will ever make it to the average consumer.
    I went to the GMC dealer this morning intending to buy a Duramax Diesel PU. Instead I drove off in a Sierra 1500 Hybrid. It is fully loaded including XM radio. My wife likes the Classic stations. On top of all the GM discounts they dropped the hybrid option from $2500 to $1000. I wrote them a check and headed back home. They filled the tank and I am sitting at 19.4 MPG after the 15 mile drive home. Getting used to the pause when you let off on the brake and hit the accelerator may take some time. Just thought you bunch of trouble makers would like to know.
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    Gary That's Just Awesome !! A Hybrid in your garage, I *KNEW* it would happen someday !! Congrats !!!
    :shades: :D
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    Ohmagawd!
  • molokaimolokai Member Posts: 313
    Good luck with it! I didn't know that the diesel had that restart feature. Does the A/C turn off at stoplights? Let's face it, it REALLY isn't a hybrid in the sense that we know what hybrids are today (the Prius and HAH, Insight etc). So GM calls it a hybrid because the engine shuts down at a standstill. I wonder how much stress that puts on the starter motor? Maybe they used a larger one? I also understand that the mileage gains are minimal, but since it is a diesel I would not be surprised if you get lows 20's at 65 on the highway. You were probably better off keeping your Suburban.
    Molokai, it does not use a "starter motor" but an "Integrated Starter Generator" which uses the stored battery power to instantly start the engine.

And it's not a diesel, just a gas hybrid. :D
    larsb, as usual you have done your research. Yes it is gas and it is dead silent like a Prius at the stoplights. Engine starts when you let off the brake. It should do all the duties that I need a PU truck for. No emission tests in CA is a big plus. Much of the components are under the same 8yr/80k mile EPA warranty. All the hybrid modules and the ABS brake module? If it keeps up the 19 MPG city mileage I'm happy.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    " If it keeps up the 19 MPG city mileage I'm happy."

Gary, I think the GM was designed more to supply 110 volt power for contractor use than to spare the gas. But I imagine you would have gotten better MPG from the diesel.

BTW, what was the $$ damage, if you don't mind saying?

Good luck and keep us informed!
    I paid with CA tax and license right at $26,211. With the GM plan that is going on the truck MSRP was $36,725. After the rebates, incentives and employee discounts that are offered it was $23,820. It is the SLE package with upgraded Bose audio W/6 CD changer, XM radio, Onstar, 5.3L V8 engine and Auto trans, Extended cab including heavy duty towing package with all wiring. Also all the controls on the steering wheel. The 3/4 ton EXT cab I was considering with the Duramax was right at $10k more after all the incentives. I don't think it will be hard to get mid 20s on the highway. I'll keep you posted on how I like it.
  • falcononefalconone Member Posts: 1,726
    That sounds like a super bargain!!! Does the A/C work when the engine shuts off?
    It has individual auto air and I kept turning it down as I was getting frozen out. It was still blowing at the intersections. I will look and see if the compressor is on the engine or electric motor drive. It is very quiet though, compared to my Passat TDI or even the LS400. I have not done any fast accelerating yet. The 5.3L V8 is rated at 295 HP and the truck is not as heavy as my old Suburban.
  • xcelxcel Member Posts: 1,025
    Hi Gagrice:

SOB! I cannot believe you picked up a Hybrid! Did hell freeze over last night :D

I personally believe Autostop is the largest contributor to increased FE but I force them from much higher speeds then the logic in any hybrid has embedded to date. With that, congrats and I hope you post your tank over tank data up in GH’s Real Hybrid Mileage Database. After your first tank post, I will have Jason create an individual Sierra/Silverado Hybrid section. In fact, I think I am going to write about it over at GH tonight in fact. Excellent price and an even nicer brand new hybrid truck!

I have very high hopes for you and your Sierra Hybrid. Don’t disappoint me, ok ;)

As an edit, I see it was a Sierra hybrid, not the Silverado hybrid. No biggie and the exact platform …

Good Luck

Wayne R. Gerdes
    Thanks Wayne,
    I don't think I will match your Ranger mileage. Driving that diesel Passat with the MPG thingy in my face has gotten me to be more cognizant of my driving habits. I will post on there when I fill up and calculate actual mileage. It may take a while as I don't drive a lot.

PS
    It is a GMC Sierra Hybrid. Same only 18 pounds more sound deadening material?
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    I just read this review in the Test Drives section of my newly arrived copy of AAA's July/August 2005 edition of Car & Travel magazine. I hope it was an anomaly.

http://www.aaany.com/automotive/buying_leasing/test_drives/2005/story.asp?xml=2005_gmc_sie- - rra_hybrid.xml&SrcID=05&ID=03
    WOW... not real encouraging to say the least. I really like the Honda Ridgeline. Amazing how a car company that has NEVER made a pickup comes up with one that is better than any of the American car maufacturers. The worst comment that they said was about the delay in starting. That could be real, real dangerous. I guess you have to plan ahead when crossing an intersection.
  • sinepmansinepman Member Posts: 137
    The bottom line is that if he likes it and is happy, that's what counts. He got a good deal and he will be everyone's best friend on the block in the event of a power failure. That's a nice feature. Is the restart process as bad as the article states?
    I did not find the lag anymore annoying than the Prius I drove. I think it is comparable to the lag some have reported in the RX400h when they accelerate quickly from a stop light. Not sure what was meant by the turning left across traffic. I did that several times on my trip home and to the store last night. They have the engine stats correct, 295 HP & 335 ft lbs torque. The EPA on my window sticker shows 18/21 MPG.

As far as comparing with the Ridgeline. That is like comparing a Civic to an Accord. The Ridgeline is slower with that V6 engine. Gets worse city mileage. The Honda has 50% less towing ability, about 1/3 less torque. It is more of a toy truck than a work truck. About 2 feet shorter in the bed. Plus the fact that they are about $8k more than I paid for the GMC. No, the Ridgeline was not even a consideration.
    Just was wondering if you read your old post. Kinda funny and now you're part of the family! Enjoy!!
    I know I thought the truck was never going to sell. Actually they have not sold well at the regular prices. I was sold the vehicle by a salesman that knew how well they performed. The added $2500 was a deal killer for most buyers. When they offered it for $1500 less I thought what the hey. It is the engine option I would have chosen in a 1500 series truck. The V6 & smaller V8 are under powered for a 6200 lb payload. If you pull a good size trailer that makes it even better suited. On the lag, I guess I will have to find a hybrid Highlander or RX400h for comparison. I don't think it is an issue. I don't burn rubber at the stop lights so don't need instant acceleration. I think I will be happy with it. I need to go get a load of compost today.

PS
    The first thing the salesman did is take me out and insist I give it a test drive. He did not even ask for my license. He went along with me.
  • cablackcablack Member Posts: 45
    Gary, congratulations on your purchase! I'm sure you will love the truck, especially with all those goodies. And from the standpoint of domestic tranquility, you have made a wise purchase as well. :-)

I always enjoy reading your posts, and even though I often disagree with your conclusions, you are clearly courteous and open-minded, and an asset to this forum. This just shows that you have the guts to continue to be open-minded, as I hope all of us are, on all sides of the hybrid/non-hybrid fence.

Now I have one important question for you: when you were writing the check for your new hybrid, were you grinning ear-to-ear and saying to yourself, "I'll bet larsb is going to pee his pants when he hears this!!" :-)
    Yes I was thinking of all you guys on the hybrid forum when I took the plunge. It was easy after taking the test drive. I think it will be a practical truck and get better mileage than the ICE only version.
    Did you compare it to the ICE only version? From what I read there is only a 1-2 MPG difference. I dare not bring back payback because in my book, it's a NON issue. I was just wondering what the hybrid had over the conventional engine.
    It was the only Extended cab 1500 they had set up for trailer towing. It even has the trailer brake controller on the gear shift handle. Nice feature. That and they discounted the hybrid by $1500, so it only added $1000 to the price. The only other 1500s they had were V6 & small V8 models. You can buy them under $20k right now if you just need a basic truck. I could have done without the Onstar and XM radio. I like the XM, not sure it will be worth the monthly charge after the 3 months of free service is used up. I wanted all the comfort features that the SLE offers over the basic work truck. They are selling the top line trucks pretty fast with all the discounting. When you can buy a $45k diesel crew cab for $34k with leather loaded they sell pretty fast. I think they just want to get them on the GMAC financing and off the lots. Look for some of the other brands to follow suit.
  • yerth10yerth10 Member Posts: 431
    Gary

You are both a LOYAL-MAN (for GM) and a HYBRID-MAN.

The extra $1,000 that you paid may be recovered in around 5 years.

Great and goodluck.

M R
  • deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    Sounds like you got a good deal Gagrice.

Congratulations!

I am still waiting for a car that will jolt me to a dealership! That may take a while because I am a patient man(my BMW is almost 7 years old and I do not yet have a 7 year itch)
    Here's the first data I have seen on Fleet performance of the GMC Hybrids trucks:

http://www.hybridexperience.ca/Chevrolet_Silverado_Sierra_Fuel_Performance.htm#Silverado
    I have only put about 110 miles on my hybrid PU. Mostly stop and go short trips under 3 miles. We also took a drive up Interstate 8 the steep section. It does fine keeping up with the 75-80 MPH traffic. The trip computer says 17.3 MPG so far on this tank. I think to get the EPA 18/21 ratings we will have to drive conservatively. I will keep you posted as I may be the only one crazy enough to buy one as a private vehicle.
    I suppose you have the 2WD version. I guess 4WD would be overkill for what you use it for. 17.3 is pretty decent considering the weight of the truck. I bet the non-hybrid version would be 16 or so. Still decent for a PU. I like the 20AMP 120v socket too. That can light up a house with no problem (in the event of a power failure).
    2WD yes. My 4WD Suburban only went into 4WD once in a freak snow storm in the Sierras. I won't really need it unless the dump is like it was last winter with all the rain. The AC may just come in handy.
    Thought I better learn a bit more about this truck I bought. The engine does not need to run for the air conditioning to operate and freeze us out. It is much colder than our new Passat for sure. His and hers auto control is nice. Too bad it does not get 32 MPG. Compromises all the time, compromises.....

Hold your foot on the brake and shift into Drive, and the engine shuts off. This is a non-event, however, because the electric motor continues to run all the accessories (including the air-conditioning).

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/new_2005/Pickup_Trucks/0409_gmc_sierra_hybrid/
    I was trying to find this emissions rating and it is on the GM brochure for the hybrid. I wonder if I get the $2000 deduction on my taxes? hmmmm

http://www.gm.com/company/gmability/adv_tech/images/fact_sheets/pht.pdf
    I doubt that, but you should investigate further. That would be a nice little bonus.
    I was repeating what GM posted in their literature on the California SULEV rating. I guess we won't know for sure until the EPA posts the rating. Hope these pictures come through. I guess they only plan to sell 300 hybrids this year. I did not know they were that rare.

That Lexus looks in great shape!
    1990 LS400 with 83k miles always in that garage. No scratches on it. Still runs real nice.
    In another 10 days I will return home from work and take the GMC Hybrid out for a mileage test. I'll keep you posted. Did anyone else buy one, or am I the only guinea pig on Edmund's. Hopefully the battery does not run down while I am gone. My wife did drive it once about a week ago.

I am almost certain your battery will be in good shape. Enjoy the flight back!!!
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    I have to say - that is one nice truck!
    Motor Trend got an abysmal 14.6 avg on their long term Silverado. Some hybrid!! LOL
This discussion has been closed.