Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Sierra Hybrid pickup

Comments

• cablackcablack Posts: 45
    Gary, congratulations on your purchase! I'm sure you will love the truck, especially with all those goodies. And from the standpoint of domestic tranquility, you have made a wise purchase as well. :-)

I always enjoy reading your posts, and even though I often disagree with your conclusions, you are clearly courteous and open-minded, and an asset to this forum. This just shows that you have the guts to continue to be open-minded, as I hope all of us are, on all sides of the hybrid/non-hybrid fence.

Now I have one important question for you: when you were writing the check for your new hybrid, were you grinning ear-to-ear and saying to yourself, "I'll bet larsb is going to pee his pants when he hears this!!" :-)
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 29,085
    Yes I was thinking of all you guys on the hybrid forum when I took the plunge. It was easy after taking the test drive. I think it will be a practical truck and get better mileage than the ICE only version.
  • molokaimolokai Posts: 313
    Did you compare it to the ICE only version? From what I read there is only a 1-2 MPG difference. I dare not bring back payback because in my book, it's a NON issue. I was just wondering what the hybrid had over the conventional engine.
    It was the only Extended cab 1500 they had set up for trailer towing. It even has the trailer brake controller on the gear shift handle. Nice feature. That and they discounted the hybrid by $1500, so it only added $1000 to the price. The only other 1500s they had were V6 & small V8 models. You can buy them under $20k right now if you just need a basic truck. I could have done without the Onstar and XM radio. I like the XM, not sure it will be worth the monthly charge after the 3 months of free service is used up. I wanted all the comfort features that the SLE offers over the basic work truck. They are selling the top line trucks pretty fast with all the discounting. When you can buy a $45k diesel crew cab for $34k with leather loaded they sell pretty fast. I think they just want to get them on the GMAC financing and off the lots. Look for some of the other brands to follow suit.
  • yerth10yerth10 Posts: 428
    Gary

You are both a LOYAL-MAN (for GM) and a HYBRID-MAN.

The extra $1,000 that you paid may be recovered in around 5 years.

Great and goodluck.

M R
  • deweydewey Posts: 5,243
    Sounds like you got a good deal Gagrice.

Congratulations!

I am still waiting for a car that will jolt me to a dealership! That may take a while because I am a patient man(my BMW is almost 7 years old and I do not yet have a 7 year itch)
  • larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    Here's the first data I have seen on Fleet performance of the GMC Hybrids trucks:

http://www.hybridexperience.ca/Chevrolet_Silverado_Sierra_Fuel_Performance.htm#Silverado
    I have only put about 110 miles on my hybrid PU. Mostly stop and go short trips under 3 miles. We also took a drive up Interstate 8 the steep section. It does fine keeping up with the 75-80 MPH traffic. The trip computer says 17.3 MPG so far on this tank. I think to get the EPA 18/21 ratings we will have to drive conservatively. I will keep you posted as I may be the only one crazy enough to buy one as a private vehicle.
  • falcononefalconone Posts: 1,726
    I suppose you have the 2WD version. I guess 4WD would be overkill for what you use it for. 17.3 is pretty decent considering the weight of the truck. I bet the non-hybrid version would be 16 or so. Still decent for a PU. I like the 20AMP 120v socket too. That can light up a house with no problem (in the event of a power failure).
    2WD yes. My 4WD Suburban only went into 4WD once in a freak snow storm in the Sierras. I won't really need it unless the dump is like it was last winter with all the rain. The AC may just come in handy.
    Thought I better learn a bit more about this truck I bought. The engine does not need to run for the air conditioning to operate and freeze us out. It is much colder than our new Passat for sure. His and hers auto control is nice. Too bad it does not get 32 MPG. Compromises all the time, compromises.....

Hold your foot on the brake and shift into Drive, and the engine shuts off. This is a non-event, however, because the electric motor continues to run all the accessories (including the air-conditioning).

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/new_2005/Pickup_Trucks/0409_gmc_sierra_hybrid/
    I was trying to find this emissions rating and it is on the GM brochure for the hybrid. I wonder if I get the $2000 deduction on my taxes? hmmmm

http://www.gm.com/company/gmability/adv_tech/images/fact_sheets/pht.pdf
    I doubt that, but you should investigate further. That would be a nice little bonus.
    I was repeating what GM posted in their literature on the California SULEV rating. I guess we won't know for sure until the EPA posts the rating. Hope these pictures come through. I guess they only plan to sell 300 hybrids this year. I did not know they were that rare.

That Lexus looks in great shape!
    1990 LS400 with 83k miles always in that garage. No scratches on it. Still runs real nice.
    In another 10 days I will return home from work and take the GMC Hybrid out for a mileage test. I'll keep you posted. Did anyone else buy one, or am I the only guinea pig on Edmund's. Hopefully the battery does not run down while I am gone. My wife did drive it once about a week ago.

• molokaimolokai Posts: 313
    I am almost certain your battery will be in good shape. Enjoy the flight back!!!
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
    I have to say - that is one nice truck!
    Motor Trend got an abysmal 14.6 avg on their long term Silverado. Some hybrid!! LOL
    I was looking at the long term test at MT. That is not too bad for 4X4 crew cab. The two wheel drive Nissan Titan is averaging less MPG and the maintenance is almost triple the Chevy. It looks like the Japanese dealers charge a lot for an oil change, $83 for the first and $155 for the second.
    Just paid 19.95 for an oil change for my father's Corolla at Toyota. All dealers charge different prices. Overall you'll have higher maint costs for the Chevy as they're not as reliable.
    Overall you'll have higher maint costs for the Chevy as they're not as reliable.

That is pure bunk. Media hype has brain washed you to believe that kind of crap. I thought the $41 was high for the Chevy. I have never paid over $30 for service at Bob Stall Chevrolet in La Mesa CA. Nissan charged MT $83 for the 7500 mile service and $155 for the 15k mile service. Not my figures they are from the source you wanted to use as reference.

Over the 7 years that I owned my last Chevy the Suburban, all I ever did was oil, filters and lube, plus one serpentine belt for $26. Two of the 3 Chevy trucks prior to that gave me NO trouble. I drove both of them back to Alaska and after 2 years sold them for nearly what I paid for them new. I was lucky to get rid of the 1994 Toyota PU truck. I did find a sucker and sold him the headaches. Unless they have improved 100% from 1994 they still build tin junk. It is easy to sell a used Toyota. Proves the power of media hype. The TCO of my Toyota PU truck was thousands more than the Chevy Suburban. The only car that cost me more than that Toyota PU was a Fiat Spyder. Another car my son had to have. So the Toyota was ever so slightly better than a FIAT.

I almost forgot. My overall mileage on the GMC hybrid is still at 17 MPG. I have less than 300 miles on it. Mostly trips shorter than 3 miles. Full AC as it is Hot here this week.
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but you're just one in a million. Statistically you'll pay more in maintenance for the Chevy. Just look at CR and peruse the thousands of websites that support what I said. You just got lucky. That is why GM is in the shape it is now. They won't accept the blame that they produce crap so they blame it on heath costs. THAT IS BUNK.
    I guess you can believe what you want. Again it proves the masses are being treated like mushrooms. If I had bought one Toyota that was reliable it may give your opinion a point of credence. GM cars may be crap. The last one I owned was a 1948 Cadillac that used oil by the gallon. GM trucks are the best on the planet. Not perfect but better than the rest. You don't get lucky with 5 vehicles, it is a sign of quality engineering and care in manufacturing. Before you throw stones at GMC trucks you should check the complaints on the car you are set on buying. GMC has sold 3 times more trucks this year than Prius has. Yet on the ODI site Prius has more than 10 times the complaints. Not looking good for the 2005 Prius reliability. In spite of that rag CR. When they get their heads out of the sand they will see they gave it a high rating prematurely. incidents of stalling Prius continue with updated computer. The latest if you have not read is the fuel bladder collapses over the sending module causing the car to shut down. They need to go back to the drawing board with their hybrids.
  • deweydewey Posts: 5,243
    That is why GM is in the shape it is now. They won't accept the blame that they produce crap so they blame it on heath costs. THAT IS BUNK.

Your anger/frustration certainly has no relevance in this forum. GM's financial shape has nothing to do with their impressive line of trucks (inclucing the hybrid Sierra) and everything to do with events that happened a few decades ago: bad union-management negotiations regarding pensions/heatlthcare.

Falconone, other than jealousy I dont know what your motivations are?
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,947
    Again, we're getting into the "personal" area here. Let's stop talking baout each other and stick to the vehicle in the topic. If you want to discuss the general health of GM, we have the Can GM survive losing billions in sales and in the Stock Market?? discussion over on News & Views. Let's keep this one focused on the Sierra hybrid.

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Gary you crack me up. I can assure you that when next year's CR comes out the Prius will trounce any product that comes from GM. I am still on track for buying my 06 Prius. Looks like you spend more time in the hybrid forums than anyplace else. We all know what that means!!! Meanwhile Toyota will be releasing more and more hybrids in the coming years. What does GM come out with? A "hybrid" truck that gets an average of 14.8 MPG. I think THEY need to go back to the drawing board.
    A "hybrid" truck that gets an average of 14.8 MPG.

Interesting point. The 2004 Chevy 1500 4X4 Hybrid is rated at a combined 18 MPG. That means MT over the long term is getting 18% below the EPA rating. Just to keep things in perspective that same group of writers that awarded the Prius "Car of the Year" in 2004 are not doing too well with their long term Prius mileage. They are averaging 24% less than EPA rating. Cost of maintenance is higher by far than the Chevy 4X4 hybrid. Prius service $65 every 5k miles. Must be some expensive oil.

I hope you will be as happy with your Prius as I am with my GMC hybrid.

Of course CR will glorify Toyota. You don't bite the hand that feeds you...
    I guess the editors don't mind getting ripped off for oil changes. My local Toyota dealer charges $19.95 for oil changes. Overall, the maintenance on the Prius will be a hell of a lot less than for your 14 MPG Chevy. Way too many threads on disenchanted owners of GM throwaway cars.

Lest you think Toyota is in bed with CR, you better have proof to substantiate your claim. But that's coming from someone who claims Japan is a 3rd world country. No one on the hybrid boards understands you agenda. The fact that you spend more time on the PC than with your family speaks volumes.
This discussion has been closed.