Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Volkswagen Jetta Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• geckogirlygeckogirly Member Posts: 2
    I have the package 1 with leatherette seats, 16" alloy wheels, dual climate control, sunroof, etc. It is in perfect condition with only 14K miles for $17,300. It bluebooks for about $5,000 more than that, so I feel pretty good about the purchase. And I am loving my "new" car!! :shades:
  • psytenpsyten Member Posts: 13
    I just got an email from the local dealership's internet sales representative saying that they are offering up to $3,500 rebates on Wolfsburgs. Is that really the case? Can anyone confirm this or are they simply trying to lure me into the dealership?
  • scottwvu03scottwvu03 Member Posts: 8
    I'd love to see what the rebates consist of, ask thme the OTD price after rebates. THat will guage what they are charging . It they wont give it to yo uthen you know they are full of it. I negotiated 20.5 otd, but I live in VA, so yo umay be able to do better depending on were you live
  • babalionosibabalionosi Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

Today I purchased a 2006 2.0T with:

- Package #1
    - Silver exterior & black leather interior
    - Tiptronic transmission
    - 8000 miles

I paid $22500 OTD. Was that a good price?
  • nc_renegadenc_renegade Member Posts: 1
    Just 2 days ago, I got the 2007 Jetta Wolfburg Black w/ Black interior for 20,700 OTD (Includes everything, tax, tags, etc). They were having a special until Sept 4th for 0% APR for 48 months, so I got it for 0%.

I had 2 VW dealers fighting back and forth and finally they both offered the same price, but one offered $500 more for my trade in so I went w/ them. Took about 3 days of haggling back and forth between the 2. They started around 24,000 and then I got them down to 19,600 before tax, tags, etc.
  • jke000jke000 Member Posts: 2
    ~3 weeks ago at a Seattle area dealership, got a 2007 Jetta Wolfsburg for $19,000 before TTL.
  • myranassermyranasser Member Posts: 15
    What are the going prices for 2008 or 2007 Jetta SE in the NY metro area?
    What is the HP on the 2008 Wolfsberg Jetta?
    Is it 150 or 170?
  • seahuntseahunt Member Posts: 3
    2008 models have 170HP. I don't think there is a 2008 Wolfsburg edition but the SE model has the same features that the Wolfsburg had (but a better stereo). I just closed a deal today on a 2008 SE with tiptronic for 21,386 OTD and the dealer is going to deliver it Saturday morning. We are 100 miles away from this dealer. This was only $386 more than the dealer quoted me on a 2007 Wolfsburg, so to me this is the better deal.
    Where did you buy your jetta & how is it so far?
    We got it in NC and it is for our daughter who is in college. I only drove it a couple of times before we gave it to her. I was totally impressed with the car. The car has plenty of pep and handles nicely. The build quality seems to be excellent. The only complaint I have is that I am not driving it!
    Is this site dead or what?!
    Perhaps no one is buying Jettas anymore! ">
  • mooney4mooney4 Member Posts: 4
    I'll be at a dealer this weekend looking at the 2007 Wolfsburg Edition and the 2008 SE.

What were the packages/options on your 2008 SE Jetta? What was the total sticker price and the price you paid (excluding tax, license, and fees)?
  • mooney4mooney4 Member Posts: 4
    Tiptronic with options? What was the total "sticker" price: MSRP, packages/options, and delivery?
    The only option was the mat kit. Sticker was 21660 and I paid 20320 + 389 Doc fee +608.13 tax + 68 License = 21385.13. I wish I had waited a week because they are now offering financing deals. It is reflex silver with the dark gray interior.
    Dear hosts,
    What is a fair price for 2008 SE Jetta Automatic in the north east?
  • sulltikk1sulltikk1 Member Posts: 10
    Hoping that more posters will share their pricing and deal info. Will soon be getting quotes in Boston area which I will share.
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    for $21,499 + taxes.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    How much is that under MSRP?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

MSRP is $26,010. Invoice is $24,272.
    Dear all,

18% below MSRP for the GLI? Given current supply and demand for the SE, is it reasonable to aim for similar price? Thanks.
    The dealership I bought it from were aggressively moving their 2007 inventory. If you want, I can get you in touch with the Internet Manager for the dealership.

I did the whole transaction via eMail and only set foot at the dealership when I took delivery of the vehicle. It was pretty painless. I had no trade-in and financed with my credit union.
    In Boston area, just got 2 quotes- car only, not OTD - for an SE with auto, iPod connector and sunroof wind deflector. One at 20,950 and other at 20,770. Am unimpressed, but more dealers to hear from.

Anyone have recent 08 SE purchase prices to share?
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    What does the SE come with?

The Sandman :)
  • snilakhesnilakhe Member Posts: 10
    Would you please post your buying experience and the price paid for the SE + destination + manufacturer's expenses + doc fees, etc ?

Thanks in advance
    VW USA has FINALLY updated their website. All three Jetta models are detailed.
    Update - got a quote on an SE with auto, iPod adapter and moonroof wind deflector of $19,998 inc destination charge from a grtr Boston dealer, plus a low doc fee of $179. I will negotiate hard from there.

Have decided on the Jetta SE over the Volvo S40, which I was leaning toward - I saw the two as very natural competitors. Jetta is a better value, at least $5500 less than comparable S40, with better depreciation predicted.
  • axc4466axc4466 Member Posts: 4
    MSRP: $17,760
    Invoice: $16,830
    Negotiated price: $16,700
    Trade-in: $4,400 (2000 Jetta GLS manual 94,200 miles)
    VW Discount for VW owners: $1,000
    Final price: $11,300
    TTL: $1,220 (California)
    OTD: $12,520

Also got 3.9% financing for 36 months and first payment paid by VW using college graduate program for my wife.

The deal was reached in the City VW, San Diego, dealership after 15 minutes of easy negotitations. Maybe I could have gone couple of hundreds lower but I got what I wanted so I was happy. We stayed there about three hours to finish the paperwork and while we were there not a single person came to look at the cars, let alone test-drive or buy one.

Overall pleasent experience with few dirty tricks on their part like giving me wrong invoice price and few not-so-dirty ones on my side like telling them I wanted laser blue color they didn't have on the lot so they gave me free floor mats if I took the silver, which is what I wanted anyways.

I liked the car and I hope to bring it home tomorrow. Could have done it today (I picked a car from the lot) but didn't bring my car title for the trade-in car with me.
    On Oct 29 bought a silver Jetta SE with auto and iPod adapter for 19,998, inc. the destination charge. TTL detail: $999 Mass 5% sales tax, $91 new registration, plates, MA title fee, ins. set-up, $179 doc fee, $29 state safety inspection. Didn't buy the F & I package suggestions. Chose to use my own financing.

A few Boston area dealers have on their invoice $395 to $410 in 'advertising fee, interest reserve fee, dealer prep, full gas tank.' Dealer I bought from did not.

The two "losing" dealers told me I got "an excellent price".
    Easy transaction. Dealer was Colonial VW. Best and final price quote over the phone (Kevin Dinsmore, very easy-going), 15 mins with him, waited 20 mins for F & I, was done there in 20 mins.

Good luck. Work hard (if necesssary) for the price and terms you want.
  • vwenthuvwenthu Member Posts: 36
    Hi Guys, I am planning to buy an 08 GLI man trans with autobahn pkg that has a sticker price $27980. I would have gone for the 07 model ideally coz of the deals but I missed it and have no 07 models of my choice currently. what would be the best deal on this vehicle? Location--chicago nothwest suburbs. I read someone got 18% off of MSRP. Can I aim for the same on an 08 model?
    I read someone got 18% off of MSRP. Can I aim for the same on an 08 model?

Maybe not at this time for a 2008 model. The incentives have to come from VW for the dealership to pass it on to you. It is likely that the dealership will not sell you a vehicle if they lose money on it.

If you're in FL, I can get you in touch with the Internet Manager of the dealership that I bought from. That is, if they still have 2007 models. When I bought my GLI, they had a bunch of the Fahrenheit GLIs that were really going for a great price but the yellow color was a point of contention between my wife and I. There were a couple of White ones left but I did not see any with leather.
    A couple of dealers offering it for $21.7 K (base model invoice + doc fees + destination + license reg and plates +
    tax - 6.75%)
    OTD. Just yesterday bought one.
    Thanks Crikey. I am not in FL. Anyways, I dont think I can find an 07 GLI in any state with my specs. They are so few and hard to find. How do you find your GLI so far? do you recommend one?Howz it on gas?
    So far, I look forward to driving it every chance I can get. It's kinda hard when the Mrs. keeps stealing the switchblade keys. :( I think she's starting to assimilate herself into ownership of it.

I had a chance to drive it this morning for a lengthy distance and between cruising and WOTs, I averaged 30.4mpg during the entire trip. The DSG is wonderful, a quick flick on the left and passing is flawless. The sport suspension is really buttoned down without being harsh going over potholes. The Xenons are awesome. The sound system is more than enough for me. So far, I can't say anything bad about it.

If you find yourself choosing between the GLI and a regular Jetta, don't hesitate to pick the GLI.
  • jbeck1jbeck1 Member Posts: 3
    just thought I'd share my experience... Today I leased a 2008 Jetta SE (black with beige leather interior) for $199 a month plus tax for 39 months. I negotiated a $21,000 purchase price - the invoice was $20,775 including the destination charge and other fees. They gave me $3,500 for my trade in, which was $500 over the blue book value. They gave me a 60% residual value of $12,885 after 39 months. So the difference between my purchase price + trade in and the residual value was only $5,755. But they charged me a money factor of .00278, which is higher than any factor i've seen on this board, and they wouldnt budge on it. It ended up adding about $3,700 to the cost. Also, the way they calculate that cost seemed completely arbitrary. What does adding the residual value to the capitalized cost and then multiplying it by the money factor have anything to do with the value of the lease? The business manager at the dealership couldn't explain it to me. I kept arguing that leasing this vehicle was equivalent to financing the depreciation ($5,755) over 39 months, and they were charging me $3,700 to borrow that amount... thats like charging a 70% interest rate. I couldnt get them to recalculate it at all. They came at me first with $251 per month plus tax... we dealt for about 2 hours before they finally gave me $199 per month plus tax ($213 total). I'm still not convinced I got the lowest price, but they were giving me extra money on my trade that i wasnt expecting and i didnt think i could get the same trade at another dealer. I had actually spent a total of 4 hours at the dealership at that point talking to 3 different people... I wanted to get it $200 including tax but I also wanted to get out of there. It wasn't quite the gold medal, but it felt like a well deserved silver.
    Ok, just to update you guys, I bought an 08 Passat Turbo, 6 speed manual today. I wanted to go for GLI but 08's are still not out and 07's are rare. But after test driving the passat, i liked it very much. The MSRP was 24780 and invoice was 23535. I got it for 23000 ($535 under invoice). I am going for an after factory sunroof which is 1195. So final price was 24195+TTL. I believe its a fair deal. Overall, the purchasing experience was very good.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Please reconsider this decision. Had one many years ago and it always leaked and ruined the car as far as we were concerned. The wife tried in vain to talk me out of it but I was young & stubborn. Shoulda listened. Now that I'm older & wiser...?, still think aftermarket roofs are a bad idea. At least get one from the factory or pass completely. At least with a factory installed roof, it'll be covered under warranty. Think before you do it!!!!
    Showed the wife a new Passat on the road yesterday afternoon and both agreed it's nicer than the Jetta. It's just a bit to big for the wife. Need time to convince her.

The Sandman :)
    Thanks Sandman, I checked with many dealers and all told me that its not uncommon and many ppl go for it. For me, I feel my car is incomplete w/o sunroof. As you said, young & stubborn :). As per the dealer, both the sunroof and installation come with warranty. I just hope that the technology has improved over time.
    I would have bought a Passat as well if it had DSG. Not an issue for you since you got a manual.

You should check the Car and Driver issue for December as they share their experience with their long-term test of the VW GTI. One of the issues that came up with the GTI was the sunroof. This was a factory sunroof, not aftermarket. I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be with an aftermarket one. Less moving part, less things to break. ;)
  • warhubwarhub Member Posts: 13
    I live outside of NYC and I'm considering an 08' gli with manual transmission, autobahn pkg, hufeisens, ipod adapter. The dealer tells me he can get me the car I want in black without delay. What are the current money factor, residual, etc for this vehicle. Any idea what I can expect to pay on a 36-month lease with 15k miles per year on this baby in NY?
  • kopi32kopi32 Member Posts: 4
    snilakhe - do you know which dealership you bought that from?
    Thanks Sandman and Crikey for your inputs. I opted out of the aftermarket sunroof. It just seemed complicated and impractical. No hassles with the dealer also; they readily processed my request and adjusted my monthly payment. Anyone in Chicago suburbs, I recommend the "Autobarn of Mount Prospect" dealership.
  • kerryhickeykerryhickey Member Posts: 1
    What dealership did you go to? I am in CA - Los angeles area.
    The dealership is "Fox Valley VW" near Bartlett, Illinois.
    At the intersection of Rt59 & Rt64 (SW Corner)
  • jbeck1jbeck1 Member Posts: 3
    I'm in Omaha, NE. My car got delivered today and I just picked it up. I forgot to mention in my first post that I got the automatic transmission. The dealer had to ship one in from out of town because they didnt have any jetta's with tan leather on the lot. I wasnt thrilled about waiting a week to get my car, but the car looks real sharp and i'm glad i didnt settle for the grey or black interior.
  • tvfahlbergtvfahlberg Member Posts: 1
    Good work sulltikk1. You did better than I did, and with the same dealer! I got an 08 Jetta SE, bright red, beautiful. $20,750. I'm taking you with me next time. Great salesman also, no pressure: Bob Miller. New dealership, clean service area. Highly recommended.
  • vacek77vacek77 Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone,

I'm considering to lease Jetta 2008 for 36 months (no options). What would be the fair price for the car?

Thank you,
  • japsjaps Member Posts: 29
    dont ever lease a car....................it will be the worse financial decision you will ever make
  • fireaxefireaxe Member Posts: 2
    What happened to the Jetta TDI 2008 in March, I have been told not till Oct 2008. Is there problems or what with getting them out.