Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Volkswagen Jetta Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jnc28jnc28 Member Posts: 14
    unfortunately, there aren't that many jetta seekers in this forum :(

i, too, am planning to purchase a jetta SE automatic but am not sure what type of incentives volkswagen is giving to their dealers.

it seems that people are paying 300-400 below msrp. i'll research and see if there are nay incentives for march....
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    I'm seeing 2100 off msrp on a wolfsburg edition. List about 23k
    that seems like a good price. out of curiousity, did you buy w/ automatic transmission? was there a trade-in?

any sort of info would be appreciated. thanks :)
    thanks, this will help! now to figure for the S/SE trims....
    Check autobragblog.com -- click on prices and choose your car.
  • drnick5583drnick5583 Member Posts: 8
    I got the wolfsberg for invoice + a buck (21,658) This was for a manual transmission

the trade in was the tough part since so many dealers play games with the trade (one dealer offered 14,300 for the trade, but was selling the jetta SE at sticker)

KBB, trade in value for the car we used (2006 jeep commander with 27,000 miles) was 12,000. I got them to give me 13,000 for it (private sale was 14,000 dealer retail was about 16,000)

overall, my girl LOVE's the car, I just hated dealing with the people we did. (mattie imports in fall river Mass) we had an appointment at 1, we get there, our salesmen was busy, he noticed us and told us to hang out for a few minutes.... 25 minutes later we are still "hanging out" I was about ready to leave. find some other salesmen who wanted to sell me a car. so 30 minutes late we finally sit down with him.... and after going back and forth for 30-45 minutes, finally got a deal done. Once this happened, our salesmen disappeared.... We delt with the manager to sign the papers, after coming out of his office I saw 2 keys and the owners manual on our salesmen desk, but he was still no where to be found. we waited around for 20 minutes then went outside and moved all the stuff from the jeep to the new jetta. I had to put in the floor mats myself (not THAT big of a deal... but come on!) after we moved everything over to the new car we had some questions about the sirius radio. still couldn't find the sales men, we waited around for another 15 minutes... and decided to finally get the hell out of there (we were there for just about 4 hours)

the next day, my girl gets a call from the salesmen "I never got the chance to deliver the car to you, what did you just take the keys and drive off?" (in a pretty condescending tone) ugh... I wish ANYONE else had a white on black wolfsberg in the area as I wouldn't of bought it form these A-holes....

I'm just glad this is over, worst car buying experience EVER! I hope you guys have better luck
    The cool thing is that you will be getting a survey from vw which is very important to the dealer. You can choose to give them a poor rating or negotiate a free tank of gas for a good one. ;) Since they know you aren't happy you could talk to the gm and see if he is interested in your experience. They may not submit your name to vw so if you don't get a survey in a month or so contact vw customer service.
    haha, that must be why the salesmen has called twice now. lol oh, I can't wait for that survey to come! The other problem is they we bought the car they said "we don't have anyone here to detail it. so you can pick it up on monday if you want" not wanting to leave without a new car we decided to take it and have to bring it back to get cleaned (made an appointment for next monday). my girl is bring the car in, I'll let her know to voice ow unhappy she was with the buying experience

good luck to you guys!
    Do yourself a favor -- be respectful and considerate. Be specific on the issues you were unhappy with. If you are rude or loud then you will be written off as a hothead. Go from a positive --- you really like the car and hope you can build mutual respect but with the following issues -- the ball is in your court. To be fair -- you may have been in the wrong place at the wrong time. Since they will be maintaining your car for 3 years, you want to feel comfortable when you show up. By giving them a chance to make things right you have everything to gain. I would talk only to the gm -- not the salesman at first and give them the benefit of the doubt. You will never be taken seriously if you are confrontive. Stay friendly, frosty, and firm.
    Well, we wont' be servicing the car at this dealership. it was the only place that had a jetta in the color combination my girlfriend wanted. (also happened to be right near my house, but my girlfriend lives 40 minutes away) there is a vw dealer about 20 minutes from her so she'll get all her service done there.

The manager was nice when we delt with him, but when I went back in to ask him about the sirius radio he said "oh ask Mark (the salesmen) he just went out on a test drive but should be back in a few minutes...) after waiting for a while I went back and couldn't find either of them.

I do appreciate the advice and totally agree, a person who acts stern yet rational usually gets more attention then the guy who goes in screaming his head off with reckless abandon
  • ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    >>Do yourself a favor -- be respectful and considerate.

Are you kidding?

I would have walked after 5 minutes after punching the GM in the face.
    To each his/her own ponytrekker to each his/her own. It has been my experience that when handling a grievance a cool hand always works better than a hot head. :shades: At least in the car buying arena. If you want the issue resolved you have to be taken seriously. If you just want to vent [no problem from my standpoint] let them have it.
  • dwpcdwpc Member Posts: 159
    I'm curious whether anyone has recently received a AAA discount on a TDI in the Los Angeles area. The AAA "dealer" is Parkway VW in Valencia; over 50 miles away, and he won't go into details unless I visit in person. His attitude is understandable to prevent me from just taking the AAA price to a closer dealer. But it also kills a whole Saturday plus the delivery trip.

Is the AAA discount even available on TDI Sportwagens? Is it worth driving 50 miles and abandoning any advantage a local purchase would give for service might provide? Any comments would be appreciated
    Contact aaa for info.
    AAA only forwards one's request to a dealer who's signed up with them. They provide no price information. Costco is the same. I found that Costco pricing only applies to certain models...and its not available on a TDI.
    Bummer
  • sksnsksn Member Posts: 4
    I bought a jetta WB edition this past Sunday with MSRP $24,065.

It's the base model with jetta mats.

Price I paid: $21,753+TTL.

I am in So.Cal.

By the way, I was interested in Jetta TDI sedan in the beginning, but one dealership was only willing to sell it for couple hundreds off MSRP. And another was was marking it up 3000 dollars above MSRP. Those are insane prices even with the tax credit! So I went with the WB and am very happy with it. =)
  • mvistamvista Member Posts: 1
    Where did you get the WB? I'm also in So Cal. That's a good deal. I was looking at the TDI as well, would like to have the better gas mileage, but I just don't drive that much to justify the cost. Any difficulty getting the dealer to accept the price?
    I've kept an AutoTrader alert for my current vehicle's model so I can see how others are pricing that car online. This morning I received an alert for a new listing and it was MY CAR; VIN and all! A local VW dealer appraised it for trade-in last week, we didn't make a deal. They priced it at top-dollar too!

They're clearly fishing for interest but I'm not sure how to respond. I'm tempted to send them an e-mail telling them they just lost a sale. I notified AutoTrader of the unauthorized listing, for all the good that will do. What would you do?
    Actually, now you know what the retail value is so take off 1500 -2000 and expect that in trade. Does that match up to what you were told?
    Ha!. They offered me less than 50% of their online price. That's why I walked.
    Go back with the facts and ask for a fair deal. Nothing to lose.
  • sksnsksn Member Posts: 4
    i did several rounds of emails with dealers in socal and finally got the lowest offer. It took about a week to get to it.

I bought my car from pasadena.
  • jpmnovajpmnova Member Posts: 15
    Does anyone have any sense (or guess) of whether VW will be bringing back the 0% APR financing rate? I know they are now offering 1.9% and some other carmakers seem to still be offering 0%. VW's sales seem to really be improving, so they may not need to go back down on the rate. Appreciate your thoughts, as I'm considering buying a Jetta this month or next.
  • vladibvladib Member Posts: 1
    So I see a 2008 VW Jetta S, manual transmission with about 45k miles. Price says 13,999. I tell the dealer I'm just test driving cars right now, not ready to buy. I test drove the Jetta, it drove fine, just a little sensation of vibration on my foot from the clutch and brake.

Well, he didn't want to leave without a sale, so right before I step off the the lot, he says, "What if I sold it to you for $10,000? Well, I didn't have my financing in order yet, so I still said no. But damn!

Well, almost a month has gone by, and the car is still on the lot. I feel like going back to the dealership, finding the manager that made me that offer and telling him, Remember when you offered me $10,000?..."

I am just concerned about that vibration I felt on my foot. Also, the brake and clutch didn't have much tread left on them—my foot was slipping a bit on them.

Anyway, I am thinking about taking the car to my mechanic, and driving back and offering him $10,000 on the condition that the vibration be fixed. What do you think?
  • faf_01faf_01 Member Posts: 6
    Looking to lease a car for my daughter...
    Here are the numbers:
    MSRP $19,620.00
    36 months/30k miles
    payment- $235.02/month (NY state tax of $750.53 is included).
    Purchase option/residual - $11,141.00
    Due at signing - $1291.49 = 1st month, bank fee ($625.00), dmv/doc fees ($363.50), tag/dealer tax/fee ($67.97)

Is it a very good deal or it can be better?
  • ciccofishciccofish Member Posts: 3
    My daughter just purchased a 2010 Jetta LE for under $17K in the SF area. Anybody know what's up??
  • conger14conger14 Member Posts: 25
    Hi,

I have an offer of MSRP 19469
    Sale Price 18886
    DMV fees etc 297.50
    Tax (8% Franklin Cty NY) 1510.88
    Total cost 20693
    monthly payment 60 mos
    0% APR 0 down 344.88

so far this is the only deal I have received but I wanted to see what people might be getting in NY for a finance deal with 10 jettas?

Stephen
  • jksledsonjksledson Member Posts: 14
    2010 Jetta Limited Edition
    w/Rubber Mat Kit
    w/Ipod Adapter

$20,000.40 OTD (tax rate is 3%)
    Also got the 0% for 60 months
    $333.34 mth (financed all of it)

Bought on last day of the month

The basic radio system is really the only drawback.

Your experience may vary!
  • ggeeooggeeoo Member Posts: 94
    In January I purchased to my delight a TDI Sportswagon it is white with a cornsilk interior. My wife Just replaced her 2005 Mini with a new TDI sedan Candy white
    and a cornsilk interior . The Sedan has Chrome in the headlight and the wagon is a black mat finish inside the headlight any idea if there is a difference? We both average 39 MPG LOCAL DRIVING AND 56 ON THE OPEN ROAD. We are paying a low of 3.05 a gallon . I recently drove a Jeep compass through Iowa and noticed B 20 selling for 1.84 per gallon can anyone verify that. Ps I bought our TDI at Capo VW
    nice people.
  • sariguptasarigupta Member Posts: 7
    joe,
    I love the price you paid. Can you share your salesman and dealer info. Also does yours have automatic transmission or sunroof or any other package/
    thanks
  • prsiiprsii Member Posts: 15
    edited August 2010
    Anyone know what the Sept 2010 Incentives are? I'm looking for a Jetta Limited Edition.
  • mevandermevander Member Posts: 7
    Lease payments are 199.00/month on a decently equipped model. Dealers are cutting the best deals of the year to clear out the 2010 models, hence I bet the 199/month can go down since the price is roughly based on MSRP plus residual value. VW has a good idea re: residual value for this model is almost unchanged since 2005.
  • 21pqlamz21pqlamz Member Posts: 2
    If I'm not mistaken you can only use b5
  • 21pqlamz21pqlamz Member Posts: 2
    look on the vw web page. and contact your local dealer they may be willing to slash prices even more
  • erick830erick830 Member Posts: 16
    does anyone think this is a good price on a fully loaded sportswagen SE 2010 selling for 24576. OTD after taxes and fees 26664. hopefully i did it was below the TMV.
  • cberrytechcberrytech Member Posts: 20
    My new 2010 SportWagen is parked in the driveway! Here's how it broke down.

2010 Jetta SportWagen TDI with DSG
    Rubber Mat Kit
    Ipod Adapter

Sticker was $26,889. Dealer had previously added window tinting and some Paint and Fabric Protectant for an additional $899.95. It's something they do to every car, and it was the first thing to negotiate off. All told I signed papers for $26,000 plus doc fee. Dealer was Springfield Imports in Springfield, MO.
  • huddlerhuddler Member Posts: 6
    Anybody know when we can expect to start seeing the 2011 models at the dealerships?
  • fho2008fho2008 Member Posts: 393
    I would think any day now......I heard October but who really knows?

Are you wanting the JettaV or VI (new, decontented Jetta)

I wanna see one in person, but so far am dissapointed with all the changes to the Jetta.
  • flwrpwrflwrpwr Member Posts: 4
    Anyone have some advice for a newbie? I'm trying to decide whether or not I should get the new JSW. Currently I drive a 05 Passat, GLX 4 mo. 55k mi. It's a great ride, but gulps gas. I have looked at the new JSW and while I'm impressed with the tdi mileage, I'm a little concerned with the reviews of the problems they've been having with the DSG, stahling and something called the hpfp? Not sure what that is, but regardless, what are your thoughts.
    My closest dealership is CVM in central PA. Anyone have any thoughts on them as well? Thanks.
  • fho2008fho2008 Member Posts: 393
    My '08 is great, they didnt have the TDI at the time so I cant comment on that, but I did get to test drive one later on it had awesome MPG!! I do have the DSG and getting close to 30k miles no problems with it.
  • cberrytechcberrytech Member Posts: 20
    I can say that I had similar concerns. I used to have a 2002 Passat W8. The thing was a blast to drive, when it wasn't in the shop. Eventually it got bought back because of the Lemon Law. Historically, VW does not have nearly as many issues with the TDI models as it does with the gas models. I absolutely would NOT own a gas VW. Period. But I did just buy a TDI JSW. It helped that my dealership offers a Limited Lifetime Powertrain Warranty, as long as all my service is performed at a VW dealership. That gave me a little more peace of mind.
  • merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    I'm thinking of buying a 2011 manual shift Jetta S. With mats and destination it lists for exactly $17,000. i've been offered $16,400...Is this a good price?
  • csundealcsundeal Member Posts: 3
    I am trying to buy a 2011 Jetta S, auto transmission, 4 door, 4 cylinder gasline, no sunroof.

MSRP: $18,100

Sale Price: $16,800

Sales Tax: 1,643.36

Document Fee: $55

Tire Tax: $8.75

DMV License Fee: $195

DMV Registration: $56

Smog Abatement: $20

County Fee: $10

Total: $18,788.1

I am in southern california, and I live in pasadena, CA. I contacted local dealers and got the best Quote right now is $18,500 out the door price, is it a good deal? Please give me some idea.
  • steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    according to edmunds.com invoice price for this car includeing the floor mats and destination charge is 15,500.00 so you should be able to do better than the 16,400.00 that you were quoted.that's 1000.00 over the invoice price for just the basic jetta.
  • vigorlovervigorlover Member Posts: 40
    Is the TDI tax credit valid for the 2011 model year Jetta if purchased in 2010, or must it be the 2010 model year car?
  • natas1natas1 Member Posts: 1
    Leased car 5 weeks ago for 306. month now dealer says they forgot the sales tax and wants me to redo the contract. is this legal? Im in California which has no cooling off law.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,268
    Tell them if they won't re-write the contract for the same payment, you'll just bring the car back...

Sometimes, actual mistakes occur that cause the leasing company to reject a contract (wrong residual used, etc.). If the contract is rejected, then you have to sign a new one, or return the car.. It isn't like you can keep driving their car with no registration..

But, if you were told you were leasing the car for $306/mo. total, and that's what your contract shows, you have the upper hand. This could be a ploy to get more money out of you (less likely), or the F&I office screwed up the deal, and now realize they sold the car $2000 too cheap (more likely)..

Either way, it's their problem.. but, you can't just keep the car.. You have leverage. Be willing to take the car back, and stick to your guns... I get the feeling you will sign a new contract for the same price, if they actually screwed up the paperwork.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• vigorlovervigorlover Member Posts: 40
    edited December 2010
    At the dealer today I was offered a 2011 JSW TDI, DSG, with the only option being the panoramic sunroof (MSRP $27,900), for $24,893 plus CA fees. With tax and license total comes to $27,634. How does that stack up with anything you folks are seeing out there? Seems pretty good to me, better than what other dealers have offered over email.

One question regarding the wheels: how do folks feel about the stock 16" wheels vs the 17" Porto wheels? I could add the 17" wheels for $380. This car will be for my girlfriend, who is not an aggressive driver.

Thanks in advance for any input!
  • chrissyxfchrissyxf Member Posts: 1
    Just signed the lease today. I think I got a fairly good deal. I paid only inception fees down (they paid first month's payment) so all I put up front was 1050 bucks...and I'm at 245/month (260 w/ tax). I'm fairly happy. Does anyone know if this was a good deal?