Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo V70 - Any changes for 2005?

edsurf611edsurf611 Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Volvo
What are the changes to the V70 in 2005? I'm looking to buy the 2004 Volvo V70 station wagon, but want to know if I should wait for 2005 as not to miss out on any new features.

Comments

• rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    From what my Volvo dealer told me (and sometimes they're wrong) is that the XC90/S80 get a bigger engine (maybe a V8T) and the V70/S60 will get the S80's current engines. Don't know how reliable that is...
  • boomsamaboomsama Member Posts: 362
    i doubt the S80/XC90 will get a V8, volvo arent in for big engines
  • edsurf611edsurf611 Member Posts: 4
    The 2.9 liter or 2.5? That could be good news. Dealers will give pretty good deals on '04 models if this happens.
    Well, Volvo has been hinting of bringing a V8 into their lineup. There's also rumors of an upcoming V90, which I would be very excited about!! :)
  • boomsamaboomsama Member Posts: 362
    so a V90 will be a S80 wagon?
  • larscalarsca Member Posts: 60
    A V8 is almost certain to be available for the XC90 before the end of the year. Even Edmunds.com talks about it, and I've heard the rumor about it from many different scources so I believe it to be true. I doubt they'd shoe-horn the V8 into the S80 though, and I seriously doubt they will put the S80 engine in their S60. First of all, why? There's no reason or benefit to it, second of all the engine bay of the S60 is pretty full the way it is.

A V90 is under development and it would, as far as I can tell, be a replacement to the current V70. The V70 and the S80 share platforms, and both have been on the market long enough to warrant a new model. Last time around Volvo introduced their V model before their S, so perhaps they'll do the same this time? Start with the new V90 followed by an S90 six months later?

Volvo will also release a C50 hardtop convertible, and there might be a V30 two door sportswagon/hatchback sometime in the near future.
    Ooops, just read in a Swedish newspaper that the C50 will be called C40, based on the new S40/V50 platform, and not be a hard top but a softie. Oh well, I corrected myself.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    any idea when the C40 will be released (based on that article)?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

And now they have officially changed the name again to C70. No idea when it will be released. Probably by the end of the year since they first need to get all versions of S40 and V50 up and running.
    Everything you need to know about the changes for the S60, V70 and XC70, complete with pictures, are available at www.swedespeed.com
  • rdbm3rdbm3 Member Posts: 6
    If pictures are worth a thousand words than anyone interested in seeing the changes to the S and V cars for MY2005 should visit the following websites:

www.swededemon.com
    www.vvspy.com
    www.swedespeed

Also, the new cars were introduced on 5/25 at the Birmingham Motor Show so the Volvo UK website shows pictures, video, and other details.
    It looks like Volvo has reintroduced buttoned presets to the stereo headset. THANK GOODNESS!
  • tom21769tom21769 Member Posts: 63
    "It looks like Volvo has reintroduced buttoned presets to the stereo headset. THANK GOODNESS! "

You can say that again.
    Those buttonless systems must be among the worst stereo controls ever designed. They eliminate any possibility of random access.

In contrast, our 2000 V70 had a very logical, easy to use control set. 6 station presets (which doubled as CD changer controls), FM1/FM2 (so you could load Mom & Dad stations on one, teenagers' on the other), and a grouping of up/down sliders for treble, bass, fade (instead of those teeny weeny, push-in / pull-out jobs.)
  • douginmadouginma Member Posts: 19
    Hi,

When I do a search on a V70, I don't see the price for the 2005 V70 base wagons, only the '04 model. I believe these are at the dealerships by now, right? Anyways, on www.swedespeed.com it lists the base going up roughly $300 but I'm wondering what changes, option-wise, for the '05. Are there more options on the '04 that become standard in the '05s?

Any insight on what's changing, optionwise and pricewise for the '05's would be appreciated!!
    Hey!

What am I??? Chopped liver???

How come no one has answered my question? C'mon Mr (or Mrs) Moderator!!!
    Check out www.swedespeed.com <<they've got tons of info on the new 05s! Oh, and the Volvo USA website has been updated with 05 models too.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Hi douginma - I didn't respond because I also could not locate 2005 pricing yet. Sometimes it takes us awhile to get pricing information, since that comes directly from the manufacturer. Sorry!

Looks like the link above is your best bet for now.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Hi Kirstie,

Thanks for your response. One more, though.

I see you folks now have the '05 pricing for the base V70. When I "build" a car with auto and metallic paint, it appears that the $450 MSRP that was charged last year for metallic goes away, i.e. it's free.

However, when I go to volvocars.com and build the same car, the $450 charge for metallic is in there.

Do you know if metallic paint is now a n/c option?

Thanks!!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Well, I just tried building one, and the $450 metallic paint charge was available on the options list ($387 invoice price). You have to be sure to check the box for the metallic paint option, rather than just selecting a color that has "metallic" in the name, or the pricing report won't be accurate. Hopefully that answers your question, but if not, keep the questions coming!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

This discussion has been closed.