Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma 2005+

Comments

• stnickstnick Member Posts: 177
    No they can not be programmed to lock. Also the info about an audible beep when you lock/unlock in the owners manual is incorrect. I had my truck to the dealership to check it all out. I looked at the service info on their computer with the service manager, and they also plugged into the trucks service port. All the info said that there are no options. There is a add on security alarm option available from Toyota that will sound the horn when you lock/unlock, but it looks like we are out of luck on the auto door locks. Ofcourse there are some that are happy with that. Nick
    Mine was made in Freemont as per the door and window sticker. I am gratefull for that!
  • chileheadchilehead Member Posts: 41
    The owner's manual for our 4x4 Access Cab (SR5) states that you can move the front seats forward (for access to the rear of the cab) by lifting the lever on the back of the seat. All this does on ours is adjust the motion of the upper part of the seat. The seat will only move forward if you pull up on the bar across the front of the seat.

Our salesperson even said "and you can move the front seat forward just by lifting this lever" then sort of shrugged it off when it didn't work.

Is this another owner's manual goof up?
  • geogeckogeogecko Member Posts: 225
    bosox3. Be expecting a forum violation. It appears that any time you post a link to a site that has a forum on their site, it's against posting here?

WHATEVER! Guess that person will have to go elsewhere to find good web site...

I'm sorry Edmunds. At least I didn't use profanity in any of my postings, or try and sell something...
  • seminole_kevseminole_kev Member Posts: 1,696
    Your's is how my Access cab works as well.
  • volleyvolley Member Posts: 298
    I agree. Tacoma Territory is a great site!
    Are you getting a regular 4x2 or a Prerunner? Build one on the Toyota site and see what the invoice/msrp prices are. Also, build one here on Edmunds, Cars Direct and other sites. They will give you a good idea on what people are paying in your area. Also, I have had better pricing and experiences by dealing with a dealers internet sales department.
  • eldenslackeldenslack Member Posts: 10
    Back in the fall the production numbers I saw were:

140,000 built per year in Fremont

30,000 built per year in Mexico
  • seminole_kevseminole_kev Member Posts: 1,696
    thanks for the production numbers.
  • juliagooliajuliagoolia Member Posts: 14
    I was wondering if anyone but the corrosion module on there 2005 Tacoma? The dealership is trying to sell me on this product and I am not sure if I should purchase it or not. Could someone give me there opinion on what type of protection they but on there truck?
    I was wondering if anyone but the corrosion module on there 2005 Tacoma? The dealership is trying to sell me on this product and I am not sure if I should purchase it or not. Could someone give me there opinion on what type of protection they but on there truck?
  • bearcrkrdbearcrkrd Member Posts: 167
    I can't find any good news in 'Tijuana Tacomas'. I won't buy one. Have not gone online and tried to look up the article yet. I want the base model 4x2. Had figured this new model could give the performance I need with the auto trans, so was excited. I just found out around three weeks ago my 2001 4x2 base model 5spd (75,000 trouble free miles!!) had a timing chain instead of a belt, and am still tickled pink, so I am not hard to please. Oh yeah, when I bought my little truck 4 yrs ago I went to a Nissan dealer who told me to by their truck instead of Tacoma because it had a chain instead of a belt. Took me four years (looking at 90,000 service details) to figure it out, so I guess I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, either.......
  • toyota guytoyota guy Member Posts: 4
    I havent seen anything good about the rust modules, everyone I have spoken to in the business said that it is a complete waste of money and a scam and a number of my friends told me that these modules were taken off the markets in all major cities but there are some dealers trying to get there money back from the ones they bought. I wouldnt suggest it personally. I hope this helps but it doesent sound like a good idea to me. I would love to hear what they tell you about it. I would stick with the normal rust proofing.

Good luck
  • jdvailcojdvailco Member Posts: 26
    Rust protection is always a scam.

www.carbuyingtips.com
    Why do you think that rust proofing is a scam?

I know lots of people that rust proof their vehicles including myself and think its a good idea to protect your vehicle, afterall they arent exactly cheap!
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    Well, the #1 reason is that once the vehicle is assembled, applying a "rust protection coating" to the undercarriage is not going to protect anything unless the car is disassembled, coated, then reassembled. Rust-resistance is definitely a value-added cost, but it must be incurred during the manufacturing process, not as an after-production modification. Salt and moisture is going to find it's way into every conceivable nook and cranny of a vehicle and it is in those places that the rust will begin to develop. The "rust coating," I dare say, is not so persisent or adventurous.

But again, peace of mind is valuable, so if you feel it is worth the money then it is worth the money. A scam is only a scam if someone feels cheated.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    The dealer told me that if I went with the Electronic Corrosion Module. That it would be life time warranty again any rust on the vehicule. So the deal sound really good, but it is also really costly. It would cost for the Module and Final Coat sealent would be $695.00 CND.
    The web site to find out information about the Module is www.capfinalcoat.com

With this module the dealer told me that I wouldn't need any other protection against rust and that it is warranted for live. Sounds great!!! But is it really true???
    again it sounds great but , I have only heard bad things about the module. Have you checked with other dealers to see what they think? I would check at least with others to see what they think about it, and if they are mis leading you what else arent they telling you???? on a seperate not my friend is looking at a new tacoma but was told he would have to wait 6 - 8 weeks are you being told the same? and he also said that the dealers in toronto told him that the tacoma was "value priced" and toyota wasnt allowing them to discount the vehicle due to lack of availability? did you hear the same ? or did you find someone to give you a deal?

Thanks in advance for any help.
    I find a good deal at two different dealers if you want e-mail me at juliabucciarelli@onlink.net

The delivery time I am not sure yet because I am waiting to see if the dealer can locate one somewhere else
    Thanks I will forward your info to Todd, if you could point him in the right direction that would be great he just wants to save some money.

Thanks again
  • erniecerniec Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 V6 Tacoma 4x4 with a Hijacker SL-16 fifth wheel hitch. I pull a 21 foot light weight Bonaire fifth wheel trailer which weighs about 3500 lbs. It pulls with no problem, and we have travelled extensively. I want to buy a 2005 Tacoma, but my problem is I cannot find a fifth wheel hitch to fit it. The difficulty lies in the structural ridges under the new composite bed that would prohibit tight bolting of frame brackets to the bed frame. Other than cutting holes in the bed(bad plan),and without shims machined or cast to match the channels, I am stuck! Any suggestions? I wrote Toyota and pointed out the irony of them increasing towing capacity, but also apparently eliminating fifth wheel installation. There are many lightweight 5er's on the market and gas is going up! I got no response.
    Julia:

The "warranty for life of the vehicle" is only for the duration of your ownership, more than likely, so you're only buying peace of mind for yourself, not for any other potential owners. Unless you actually try to do things that will induce rust to generate, the truck will more than likely not rust in any reasonable time frame. So, if you only plan to keep it 3-5 years, I am certain it is not a good deal. However, if you plan to keep it for 20 years, it could actually come in handy! That is assuming that the dealer is still in business if it is a dealer mod rather than factory - if so, the warranty would not be honored at other dealerships. Or, if the warranty is through the company Cap Final Coat, the warranty would expire along with the solvency of the company should it cease to exist.

-Wes-
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Actually I thought of all those question to, but the warranty can be transfered to another owner. You can also take the module out and install in another vehicule, but there will be no warrenty once it is removed from the orignal vehicule. The warrenty is through cap Final coat. I am not sure how long this company has been in business for????
  • jdvailcojdvailco Member Posts: 26
    You may also want to check what they are warranteeing? No rust? Most are for no rust perforation of body panels. That means if you get surface rust, you lose. If you get a hole through a body panel, you might get something out of it.

Also, check the cost to dealers of these accessories. It is not abnormal to charge people as much as they can get away with, as opposed to a reasonable 5% over cost. The cost to purchase and apply a coating is often less than $75.

Finally, rust is not generally a problem for cars anymore, unless they are scratched or scraped as a part of their regular use. In this case, the warrantee might be voided.
  • valance2valance2 Member Posts: 14
    road salt + water = rust potential. If you live in a salt heavy state: MN, WI, MI etc where the roads actually turn WHITE in the winter because of the salt, the likelihood of rusting is not negligible over 10-15 years.

I got corrosion protection only because it cost the same to get the "whole package" (meaning paint sealant (helps resist scratches), Interior fabric protection (I have kids), and corrosion protection, than it was to just get the fabric protection. Total was $500, and is worth it just for the fabric protection (protected my last truck's fabric from kid vomit and cat urine....#$@!% Cat). The name brand of the protectant is Auto Armor, the protector or something like that. Warranty is lifetime and can be transferred to 1 new owner. Like I said, if it weren't for the interior protection, I would have passed, but I don't think you can say a rust inhibitor is of no value in a rust friendly enviornment like we have here.
    If you are worried about buying a tacoma from the mexico plant, look at the first digit of the vin. If its a 3, it was made in Mexico:

First vehicle identification number digit: U.S.A.(1 or 4), Canada (2), Mexico (3), Japan (J), Korea (K), England (S), Germany (W), Italy (Z)
  • wes240wes240 Member Posts: 33
    My '05 starts with a 5
    Sounds like you have an impostor, Wes. ;D

Back to rust, though. Julia, what exactly is this mod? It can be removed and installed on another vehicle? Now I'm really skeptical that it is something that truly inhibits rust.

A rust warranty is not necessarily bad or a scam (like I said, a scam is only a scam if someone feels cheated), but you can bet that dealers make good money off them or they wouldn't be offered. In Fairbanks, it would be a complete waste of money. You could own a rig up here for 100 years and it probably wouldn't rust out on you under conditions of normal care and use. In salt-happy regions, not so. Maybe DOT in those areas will someday evolve and stop using salt.

Vehicles don't rust out like they once did and I would be shocked to see significant rust on any vehicle less than 5 or 10 years old. Then again, I don't live in the upper midwest.
    Ah, interesting. It is an electronic module.

I suppose that could help to reduce the speed at which the body rusts by negating or lessening static-charged conditions. If it did not run constantly (24-7-365), then charged conditions would still persist. Let's face it, metal rusts even when we're not driving, and most of a car's time is not spent in operation. That's still more effective than an after-manufacture undercoating. It would not inhibit rust though; only slow the process.
  • toytrucktoytruck Member Posts: 67
    Do a search for "rust protection" at the FTC http://www.ftc.gov/

Save your money.
    5 is US too, assuming this guy knows what he's talking about:

See http://www.kirtner.com/vin.html

I don't think there is a forum on that site, if there is, sorry in advance.
    Mine also starts with a 5, Door sticker "made in USA"
  • av8rrobav8rrob Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking for an 05 Tacoma double cab prerunner in southern california. Can anyone recommend a dealership here?
  • wes240wes240 Member Posts: 33
    Yep, definatly made in the good ole USA - you had me worried Wes (haha):

https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/vin_tools/default.asp

Pretty cool site, I knew you could tell certain things from the VIN but I didn't know you could tell what safety restraints the vehicle has and the engine size.
  • jackhammerjackhammer Member Posts: 92
    Hi Erniec

Where abouts do you live ? I live in Ontario, Canada and know of a great local shop that installs hitches, drop me a line jessupr@yahoo.com
    I wrote in last week and suggested that if anyone in Canada wanted to drop me a line at jessupr@yahoo.com I would fill them in on the sweet price that I bought my new Double Cab for, I found my sales slip and it was around 6% off the suggested retail price. Great price.
  • buffalonickelbuffalonickel Member Posts: 113
    Doesn't Toyota have to print the origin of the manufacturing of each vehicle in the door jamb? Wouldn't that tell you whether you have a Tacoma or a Taco Bell?

B
  • offroader3offroader3 Member Posts: 37
    Every time I used my cell phone there is always some kind of radio/CD statics or frequency interference which is annoying.Anybody else experiencing this problem...
  • gearhead1gearhead1 Member Posts: 408
    It seems like people are judging the mexican tacos as inferior. Is there any evidence that toyota isn't as rigid in their standards in Mexico as they are here in the USA or Japan. I really don't think they will let their quality slide. Does anybody seriously think this?

I'd like to get an 05, but at the moment I didn't think I'd need to check country of origen to determine quality until I read this thread.
  • arcpassarcpass Member Posts: 53
    I'm the one that posted about the L.A. Times story concerning Tacomas made in Tijuana. The article stated that these workers are inexperienced in auto manufacturing and are only paid $3.20 per hour. I would have a problem with the trucks if this was the case anywhere in the United States. I want workers that are experienced and that make a decent living making my truck.

As far as Toyota letting their quality slide; look at all the problems people are talking about on this forum. Leaks, knocks, ticking, glove boxes, shimmy from the skid plate and now paint chipping off.

Although most of the Tacomas are made in Fremont, could the Tijuana plant be contributing to the poor quality control. I urge you to look up the article and read it. There's a lot more in it than I've mentioned. L.A. Times Business section, 1-23-05.
    yep, I read the article. Toyota is paying the premium wage of 3.20 an hour. The normal wage for this area is 2.80 an hour. Toyota is paying top dollar to the workers, and it's pushing these workers into the middle class in Mexico, with health benefits I don't get here in the USA. Most of these workers have electronics manufacturing backgrounds which I would think would be at least as exacting work as putting a truck together. They're not making engines there.

The problems mentioned here I think are coming from the Freemont plant. The Mexico plant just came on line in Jan 05 as far as assembling trucks. They were making truck beds before that. It would be informative if people with these problems would check their vin# and see if they start with a 3(Mexico) or a 1,4,or 5(USA)Please do this people so we can access the quality of the Mexico plant. It would be most helpful.

Glove box defect would not be a Mexico problem as they just assemble not manufacture.

Engine ticking would also be a American manufacturing problem from one of their engine plants in the USA.

Suspension knocking could be a Mexican problem as I assume they mount the cab to the chassis there as well as the leaky windsheild mabey.

They say the Mexican workers there are very enthusiastic about their work which is more than I can say about some US auto workers I've known. I just want my truck to be the best it can be, and I'm not sure assembled in Mexico is a bad thing. Most Mexicans I've known are hard workers, and work their butts off which is more than I can say for my compadres that squeak by when they can. :)
  • arcpassarcpass Member Posts: 53
    The point of my second paragraph is not to point the finger at Tijuana workers, but to dispute the idea that Toyota is not letting their quality control slip. I have owned 4 Toyota trucks since 1979, and have never had any problems; particularly when they were brand new. The fact that there are so many complaints in a truck that has only been out for 4 months makes me seriously think that Toyota's quality is slipping. My new Tacoma was scheduled to be made on 1-25-05, and should arrive about the middle of February. I'm hoping that the problems talked about here don't crop up on my new truck.
    Hope your truck arrives without problems. I've test driven these trucks, and never noticed ticking or knocking. I hope these are isolated problems that are likely to crop up in a 1st year model truck and are easily corrected.

I've owned a 91 toy truck since it was new and never have had one problem in 14 years. I'll take a Taco with a few minor problems over a Ford any day. :)
  • fgs_ncfgs_nc Member Posts: 9
    For those who have a snugtop on their 2005 Tacoma or know the answer, could you please tell me where it was installed?

I’m getting ready to purchase one and in talking with a few salesmen, I’m getting the usual confusing info. One said tops aren’t available yet. One has said we have to install after dealer takes delivery. From info I’ve read on some “pricing” sites, I was under impression that top is installed as an option at the “port”. I would like to know which is correct before beginning the purchasing process.
    Toyota rates the Tacoma's fuel tanks for 80 Litres(17.6 Gallons) or 21.1 US Gallons. Last night I was able to put in 87.3 Litres (19.2 Gallons) or 23 US gallons. So who knows how much bigger the tanks really are. I guess in the beginning when these trucks are new and hard on gas it is nice to know that you can carry extra gas.
  • vmimanvmiman Member Posts: 80
    I bought a rubermaid mat to put in the back of my truck bed. I had to cut it, but it sure does protect the plastic bed from getting scratched up. I think you can get them at any auto parts store. I got mine several years ago at Pep Boys.

Tom Clark

(vmiman)
  • vmimanvmiman Member Posts: 80
    Anyone know where to buy a truck box which will fit in front of the wheel wells and below the height of the bed (so it doesn't interfere with the rail system)?

Also, anyone received any word on an available hard tonneau cover. I've read that several companies are working on one, but is one available yet (again, one which will not interfere with the rail system)?

Tom Clark

(vmiman)
    I would have to agree. The Mexican built trucks should be no different than any other. My truck was made in the U.S. of A and yes I have the leak issue, yes I have the glove box discolor (which I feel to be very minor and don't even notice), yes I have a tick (which goes away after the truck warms up-at least mine does) and yes I HAD the suspension knock (that went away too). Even still, I consider all these problems to be minor particularly for a new model year. The truck is awesome, I love it and I really don't care where it was built.

And yes $3.20 an hour is a darn good wage in Mexico!
    Which mat did you get? How much? Cheaper than factory I suppose...? Is it heavy duty? Got pics? Don't you just love all the questions!