Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma 2005+

Comments

• volleyvolley Member Posts: 298
    DeWalt makes some cool boxes that sit in the truck that should work well, and they are multifunctional. Mine doubles as a storage box and a cooler! LOL
  • bearcrkrdbearcrkrd Member Posts: 167
    I posted a couple days ago, then read the article. It was very clear that it is about the bottom line, with a thin excuse about having to build in Mexico to sell in Mexico. Easy reading, and no good news at all. I won't be watching the stock ticker at the bottom of the tube when channel surfing. Unlike most baby boomers or folks just a tad younger than that, I do not have a retirement or inheritance. I'll be at it until 65 if they will have me. Mexico won't. I'm off to lunch then to bed, Graveyard starts tonight, followed by 12hr overnight weekend shifts, until India or China or a computer chip nail me. PS...(no joke) saw a Reg cab 4x2 on the hiway Tuesday, looked great!
  • jdoejdoe Member Posts: 3
    My VIN begins with 5 and I have the engine tick during acceleration but do not have the glove box discoloration or the paint chip. My double cab is silver.

I email toyota directly about the tick and they replied that there are no TSB or any other notices but referred me to the dealer. We will see what the dealer has to say (I live just north of seattle). Thanks for all the insight.
    "DeWalt makes some cool boxes that sit in the truck that should work well, and they are multifunctional. Mine doubles as a storage box and a cooler! LOL"

Sorry I said DeWalt. I meant to say Delta! They make some pretty cool storage boxes.
  • arcpassarcpass Member Posts: 53
    $3.20 may be a good wage in the middle of rural Mexico, but this Toyota plant is located in Tijuana. That's almost California, because San Diego is just across the border. Go to Tijuana and see how much cheaper everything is. It isn't! $3.20 per hour doesn't buy much in Tijuana. The best thing Toyota is doing is offering health benefits. So, if they're paying $20 per hour in Fremont and only $3.20 per hour in Tijuana, then why isn't a Tijuana built Tacoma less expensive? Toyota is raking in the money, and taking advantage of us, the consumer.
  • mrjjgittesmrjjgittes Member Posts: 156
    Re: Toyota taking advantage of the consumer: Easy fix to that, buy something else and thereby exert the force of the market. Be glad we live in a society that allows for that. Check out your transportation choices in Havana, if you have a doubt. In any event, as San Diego resident I agree, $3.20 ain't much for TJ. Whether it is enuf to get workers to put together a car well....I guess we'll see.
  • chileheadchilehead Member Posts: 41
    I was pleasantly surprised to see that a CD-RW played as well.
  • webber9966webber9966 Member Posts: 7
    your tank must have been dry. I would complain to the manager of that store. looks like they are charging you for more gas than your really getting. I have been to a station that the pump display was wrong. 2 gallons more than toyota rates, thats a lot of gas.
  • stnickstnick Member Posts: 177
    That is just another of those problems I see with companies moving manufacturing jobs out of this country. Dodge, GM, and most other auto co's have been building expensive RAM P.U.'s and GM Suburbans in Mexico for some time now. The reduced costs go into the Company and Stock holder pockets. They don't manufacture out of country to reduce the vehicle selling price. But more on subject. I have been in consumer electronics for many years, and rode out all the problems most TV companies have had when they moved to Mexico. There are problems at first that had to be delt with, and QC suffered for it for a while. I bought an 03 Camry in 03 new and it was built here in the USA. A lot of 02's and 03's had interior rattle problems, as did ours. Things can happen any where. My Tacoma so far: glove box door smudge only. No other problems yet.
  • jsandjsand Member Posts: 19
    Has anyone added a Bug Shield to their 05 Taco? I know someone who has rock chips already and I want to do something to help prevent them.
  • jfigueroa1jfigueroa1 Member Posts: 209
    I was reading the 05 taco dealer literature and noticed that it call for required fuel as prem fuel could I use regular, I am about to buy the taco but I do not want to spend big $$ on fuel.
  • bigandybigandy Member Posts: 70
    I took my 4x4 Access Cab back to the dealer last week and they agreed to order several replacements for me. One is the glovebox, as I have the ubiquitous swirl in the top edge, as did both of the other 2005 Tacos I saw while I was there.

I also pointed out the lousy finish on the cup holder and hazard light button. I posted here earlier that as soon as I drove the truck home, I could see that silver paint on black plastic on the cupholder, a flat surface smack in the middle of the cab, seems like a terrible choice of material for this piece. Mine is now pretty badly scratched and even the button on the hazard lights has worn to black plastic from using it probably 10 times. The cupholder is actually pitted from the bottom of a Diet Coke can touching it during night driving. (No, my fingers are not covered with sand paper and no, I don't slam the Coke can down.) This is just an awful design choice for these surfaces.

All will be replaced under warranty and I am now investigating what to do to protect the cupholder long term, as I don't really want to take it back in every three weeks. Considering clear plastic self-adhesive film or possibly a piece of thin stainless steel cut carefully to match. (Sometimes it helps to have a girlfriend who is a metalsmith.) Any other suggestions are welcome.
  • footpoundsfootpounds Member Posts: 22
    Why would you consider spending in the neighborhood of $23,000 or so on a vehicle and then proceed to ignore the requirements that Toyota gives in order to save a few hundred dollars per year on fuel? If you are that strapped for cash, why not look at a Kia?
  • tylermadetylermade Member Posts: 11
    Has anyone out there ordered a new Tacoma and received it yet? I ordered mine near the end of November and still haven't heard anything yet.
    Mine says that it requires regular but premium is recommended for better long term results. Are you sure the literature said that premium is REQUIRED? At any rate, I use premium but coming from a Ranger my Taco gets much better gas mileage and I am spending less than what I used to spend even with the higher prices premium.
  • demoncleanerdemoncleaner Member Posts: 82
    I've run 87, 89, and 93 Octane gas. You can run 87, some guys say it runs fine. My experience is the truck on 87 is it runs rough, especially when punching the gas, towing, and climbing. I'd rather run 87, but engine really wasnt originally designed for it. Those that followed the development of the truck know Toyota said premium until the month before release. That was to keep from turning off some truck buyers. The 4runner with same motor says premium too. I usually run 89 at a minimum, but usually 93 goes in. It's only 15 cents more than 87, and I've notice 1 to 1.5 mpg better mpg with 93 vs 87, almost breaking even in long run. If your happy with 87, by all means save some $, the engine will advance or retard the timing depending on what you are feeding it. Personal pref
  • gmc1976gmc1976 Member Posts: 1
    Could be you had some water in you gas tank or fuel line. Filling up the tank with relatively warm gasoling would bring the temperature up and melt the water. Couldn't hurt to put in a pint of gas dryer (pure alcohol) which will help carry the water through the system.
  • jfigueroa1jfigueroa1 Member Posts: 209
    What I wanted to know if I could run the taco with regular vs prem. By reading in a couple of magazines some will mention regular and others prem. and by the way not that it is any bodies business but yes I can afford a much very much expensive car or truck, but if I can buy a twelve(12) pack of soda for 2.50 why should I go to the gas station and buy (12) soda cans at .79cents each. I just consider myself a smart consumer. so no reply need it. we are here to help each other with good informative posts.
  • carglowcarglow Member Posts: 91
    When do you think 05's will be at dealerships in earnest?

When will the first rebates likely appear?
  • carcurious1carcurious1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi there, I'm a bit of a "dumb broad" when it comes to cars, but I am really quite curious about them. I actually had the frozen fuel line problem today and was wondering if you could elaborate. My battery actually died as a result of the fuel line problem. I am trying to understand how the battery and the fuel line problems are connected and what caused what.

Here's what happened- day 1 (two days ago)- My gas tank was really low and I allowed the car to ride on empty for a while. day 2 (yesterday)- I got the noname gas and only filled the tank halfway

day 3 (this morning)- last night it got real cold (below freezing) and I tried to start the car in the morning. It wouldn't start. Brake light, engine light and oil lights all came on. AAA started the car by jumpstarting it.

ALSO, my car is at 3,500 miles and I've been meaning to do the oil change.

Alot of things done wrong, I KNOW :) If anybody knows what happened, if my battery died first or if it was frozen lines, I'd be grateful for the enlightenment.
  • buffalonickelbuffalonickel Member Posts: 113
    This is an old article, but substantiates the discussion. Apparently Tijuana will be known for more than wild times and tequila.

B

http://www.toyota.com/about/news/manufacturing/2002/09/20-1-mexic- o.html
    Has anybody out there bought a 2005 Tacoma and NOT had any of the problems mentioned on this forum?
  • xsactaxsacta Member Posts: 26
    Mine just turned 4000 miles after 3 months. No leaks or cab mount bolt noises. The engine ticking, which is thought to be injector noise and goes back to the '04 4Runner with the same engine, has mellowed quite a bit. No paint issues, but mine is white. I believe that I was the first on this forum to rant about the '05 ticking engine. And rant I did. For the most part the truck kicks [non-permissible content removed], and since the tick is barely noticeable I'm just enjoying the ride.
  • geogeckogeogecko Member Posts: 225
    What EXACTLY, did you order? I ordered one from a dealership, and the salesperson (fleet) would never return my calls, and when they did, they never had any information for me. At that time, I had ordered a 4x4 double cab, black, TRD Sport, automatic, short bed. The trick, at least according to the new dealership I went to, was that with that, I had ordered the mid range radio (the 6 disc changer, but not the JBL). My new dealership told me that I couldn't order it that way, because Toyota was not making them that way.

Now, I'm not sure if that was a line of crap or not, but I talked to them anyway, because they seemed to know more than my other person at the other dealership. Anyway, they checked the incoming inventory, and had the exact truck I wanted (minus the 6 disc changer option), except it was silver. Silver was my second choice, so I decided to go with that. Anyway, you might post what FACTORY options you ordered, and see if anyone has gotten a truck with that on it. If you got an invoice print out, the factory options are marked with F in the left most column, whereas, port options are marked with a P.

If you can't get your person to talk to you, go elsewhere. If you make a deposit, use a credit card (you can dispute the charge if you go with someone else), or put a stop payment on your check, but make sure your bank does it if the check is cashed as a paper check, or electronically.
  • tacofan4lifetacofan4life Member Posts: 33
    05 Access Cab 4x4 V6 6-speed manual TRD Off Road Package #2 VIP Alarm Impulse Red...MSRP $27,824...Out the door price $26,561. Put 150 miles on it driving home from the dealer and loved it! I had an 03 Tacoma X-Cab 4x4 V6 5-speed TRD before this truck. The 05 is so much nicer and the power is great! I cannot wait for the supercharger, headers and exhaust!

This option package is tough to find. I am glad to finally have it!

By the way...Mine was built in Fremont, CA
    Congratulations, did your out the door price include tax & license? And did it include the VIP alarm? Third question, what state do you live in? Sounds like you got a great deal, no matter what was included.
  • srandytsrandyt Member Posts: 35
    When I first started shopping for my Tacoma, I got an accessory brochure from the parts department at my local dealer. I was told there that if I wanted the Snugtop, I would have to order the truck with it on it. They said that Toyota would not let them order the top. All dealer added accessories come through the parts/service department, so I believe what I was told. Has anyone heard whether a roof rack will be available for the Access Cab and when the basket that mounts on the rack will be available?
    I have an Access Cab Offroad #2. It has the sport seats that come with the package. When you push down on the black lever on the back of the seat, it will release the seat to slide forward (just like my '95 did). When you return the seat to its original position, it slides back as long as you keep the seatback tilted forward. The black lever on the back of the seat is tied in with the recline lever for the seatback.
  • centralcalcentralcal Member Posts: 215
    Hey geogecko, have you ever tried to get your money back from a deposit on a new car (I used a credit card)? Will the credit card company have any ground to stand on just because you found the car you wanted somewhere else and the company you ordered through is taking too long?

thanks
    Actually, I am planning on getting my deposit check back from the original dealer, once I get my truck from the new place. (They didn't seem like they were going to be a jerk about it...)

Nope, I don't think the credit card company would have any problems with what you want to do. Just tell them the story about what is going on, and tell them that you had to go somewhere else, because you weren't getting anywhere with the other dealer. (I basically said the same thing when I called to put a stop payment on my check.)

Anyway, just make sure you don't make a habit of doing this, or the credit card company may not be willing to work with you. If it's your first or second time, then it shouldn't be a problem. You also have to usually dispute the charge 30 days after getting your statement with the charge on it, or it may be 30 days after the charge is placed, I'm not sure. They are probably all different, some may allow 60 days.

The other bad thing about a check, is that most banks charge you a fee, such as $25 to put a stop payment on it, and, it's not guaranteed to stop them from cashing it (if they electronically cash the check, with a different name than what you had put on the check, it can still possibly go thru).
  • gearhead1gearhead1 Member Posts: 408
    Thanks for keeping us up to date with your ticking engine. It's good to hear it's decreased dramatically. Someone also had the knocking in the suspension that also went away in time. I'm more at ease now about buying my new Tacoma after reading your post :)
  • engineerbooengineerboo Member Posts: 45
    I just got my 2005 4 WD Access cab and haven't noticed any defects in anything in the cab but I sure will check everything over!

Someone asked about "premium" gas. NOPE..you don't have to use it. It's a waste of money. You do want to put the mid-grade gas in, though, because the Toyota engines run better on it than the lower-octane. If you live in a high-cost gas area, I'd try the lower stuff, at first, and just see how it runs.

For those of you who "ordered" a Tacoma, be advised they are the HOTTEST thing out, right now, and most dealers are actually marking a higher price on them with NO haggling because the demand is so high. If you ordered one, at a fixed cost, I'd bet they are getting it in and selling it without even calling. (My dealership sold 4 in 2 days without ANY advertisements or incentives and at a mark-up!)

EngineerBoo
    Well, I'm not auto expert but do know that a frozen gas line will NOT make a battery die.

Now, when you tried to start it, did you keep trying and trying? That would, definitely, kill your battery. (Especially when it's cold because batteries don't have as much of a charge in the cold...take a flashlight outside when it's really cold and you'll see the bulb getting dimmer and dimmer after a few minutes.)

3,500 oil change? Unless you drive a lot of off-road or always in the city, you can go 5,000 miles or 6 months (whichever comes first) before an oil change. Of course, I've always changed my own oil in my vehicles and I don't go longer than 3,000 but that's just because I keep my vehicles for 15+ years.

Hint: Always use MOBILE ONE Synthetic oil in your cars. They will run better, last longer, and you'll get better gas mileage, guaranteed! (It costs more but you REALLY could go 5,000 miles with synthetic oil because it doesn't break down like regular oil.) Not convinced? Do an oil change at 3,000 miles and notice how BLACK the old oil is. Switch to synthetic and (after a couple times to get all the old crap out) do the same test after driving 5,000 miles...you'll be shocked at how clean even the dirty oil looks compared to before! And that's inside your expensive engine....
  • gearhead1gearhead1 Member Posts: 408
    In my area (southwest) they are just sitting on the lot. They've had some 05s that have been on the lot pushing 3 weeks now. Vegas is selling them for 500 over invoice before even the new year.

You sound like you might be a dealer. I apologize for that insult if I'm wrong. I'm quite familiar with the inventory here in the Southwest and it's not moving fast like you say, so lets not give people the impression that deals are not to be had, because they are discounting at the moment. This is not the prius.
    I live in Colorado Springs and they can't keep Tacoma's on the lot more than a couple days. (When I bought mine, I had it parked out in front of the dealership for about an hour before they got to detailing it and we had 3 guys asking to take it out for a test drive! Crazy! (It is neat seeing people eyeballing it when I drive around, though, I have to admit!)
    Bear in mind that some models and some option packages may sell faster than others. You will be hard pressed to find any 6-speed V6's and very few TRD Offroad packages here in the southeast, even though there are other flavors on the lot.
    Gearhead: No, I'm not a dealer! :-)

I'm a software engineer with Northrop Grumman out at the Missile Defense Agency at Schriever AFB, Colorado.

The only truck I've own is a hand-me-down Ford F-250 from my Dad and it was rusted out so I didn't modify it in any way. I want to do a lot to this truck so I'll be asking y'all what's the best way to upgrade it. (Nothing major, like engine stuff, but cosmetic stuff like a good truck bed cap, runners, a moon roof, etc.)
  • seminole_kevseminole_kev Member Posts: 1,696
    About 600 miles on my 2005 Tacoma 4x2 Access cab with 2.7L 4cyl and 5spd manual.

Have the little glovebox "swirl" but that's it. No other problems. Paint is fine (but again, only 600 miles total on her).

Filled up today and with a mostly city, some hwy mix, I got 20.5 MPG. Not too impressive, but the engine is still breaking in. So we'll see.
    Yes the out the door price included everything tax title and tags plus sale price of the vehicle.

When I first contacted the dealer I bought the truck from I didn't ask for the VIP alarm because I didn't want to pay almost $500 for it. He gave me a quote for a truck without the alarm on it. When I told him to locate a truck for me the only truck he could find with the options I wanted had the alarm on it so he threw that in for no extra charge! The deal was all done over the internet and email and the paperwork was ready to go when I got there so it made it really easy!

I live in NC but bought the truck in VA!
  • hobohobo Member Posts: 27
    I just took delivery of my 05 Dbl Cab 4x4 LB Auto today. I upgraded the Dunlop Grandtrek AT20's to Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos (245/75R16). I am in New England and buyatoyota.com has a package called Option Combo B that is basically SR5 #8 (SJ). It says that it includes a limited slip AND a diff lock. But the switch plate where the diff lock should be according to the manual is empty. Am I missing something? When is a diff lock used anyway?

BTW, I had something making noise in the back which I thought was the dreaded suspension noise. But I put the two rear seatbelts into their clips and haven't heard the sound. Granted I only have a handful of miles on it, but I'm crossing my fingers that that's it.
    Engineerboo. I'm not sure I understand why you think people are not getting good deals. Most of the people here, have gotten a pretty good deal to me. I ordered mine a couple weeks ago, and got it for about $800 over invoice (with a very decent price on my trade-in, which I didn't think it was even worth what they gave me).

At first, when I went to talk to a salesperson about them (in Nov./Dec. time frame), they told me that these things were really hard to come by, and that they were in really high demand, and that they wouldn't be able to drop the price much below MSRP. Well, I wasn't there to buy in the first place, but ended up being there for 2 hours, and they basically had me down to $500 over invoice, on the truck I wanted then, and I still left (should have taken that deal!). Don't believe the crap they tell you about being in such high demand. Start to deal with them, then say your leaving... they will come down. It's all a mind game.

hobo. You only get one or the other, limited slip diff, or the locking diff, not both. Sounds like you have the limited slip diff.

According to the brochure, SR5 #8 comes with the limited slip. The only package that comes with the locking diff is TRD Off-Road #'s 1 & 2, not only that, but the locking diff (or the TRD Off-Road packages for that matter) cannot come on a long bed truck. (There is no dot on the TRD Off-Road packages next to the Long Bed Truck.)
    Oh, a locking diff would be used when you are "really" stuck. Most of the time, they are not supposed to be used above 5 MPH, and you should never use it on a high traction surface, such as normal road use, when it's not icy (or even slighly icy). It need to have slippage in order to keep from tearing up the drivetrain.

Limited slip, on the other hand, can be used all the time, as it senses when one wheel is slipping, stops that wheel, and starts moving the wheel that isn't moving.

EDIT>>>

A good place to read up on differentials, and how they work...

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm
  • hobohobo Member Posts: 27
    Thanks for the update!
    On another Toyota forum (no access without payment), it has a headline that says that the 2005 Tacoma skid plates vibrate and are no longer available. Will anyone here that subscribes to that forum tell us what this means. I've heard that the skid plates cause the vehicle to shimmy at high speeds, so have they been re-called for safety reasons?
    No longer available? My dealership just got in 4 Tacoma's and 2 had the TRD Off-Road package and both have the skid plate.

Mine, also, has the skid plate and I've got 75 mph on I-25 with no shimmy at all.

If there were a problem, I'm sure they wouldn't've sold me mine but let us know if you hear anything more.

Rick
    I have the skid plate also, and I DO get the vibration at high speeds. It is pretty bad when I also get caught in a cross wind on the highway. VERY strong and loud vibration. It's going to the dealer for the leak I will also have them look into the skid plate issue.
    Love the truck and the power but I got the leak after one day of rain! Guess I have to take it back...

Has anybody found out from the dealer where it is leaking at? Is there a TSB out on it yet?

Mine is leaking onto the drivers side.

Thanks
  • offroader3offroader3 Member Posts: 37
    everytime i used cellphone in my tacoma DC i hear some interference/statics while playiny my radio.Anybody has this problem...
  • utvnututvnut Member Posts: 13
    I'm thinking of jumping into the new Tacoma, I had a 1990 Toyota that was great. Besides not being sure of waiting 2 years for depreciation, does anyone know about attaching the one sided ladder racks to the new Tacoma?

I need to move ladders enough that I want the 2 piece rack that is on one side of the truck and holds a couple of ladders so I dont have to lay them on the roof and tailgate.

I looked in the bed and the electric plug seems to preclude anything on the passenger side but I couldn't get any info from the dealer on installation, availability or if the composite would be damaged etc.

Thanks
  • seminole_kevseminole_kev Member Posts: 1,696
    Those complaining about cell phone noise sounding through the speakers, are your phones the newer GSM style? Most likely so. Any powered speaker can get this interference from GSM phones.

At my job site, when people started getting GSM phones, all of the sudden we had a lot of reports of bad PC speakers.....because of the noise much like I suspect you guys are having. Only solution is to either turn off the phone or turn off the stereo. Just to be clear, the GSM phones would do this to any car stereo system as long as it is on.