Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma 2005+

Comments

• geogeckogeogecko Member Posts: 225
    [Remote Door Locking Problem]

I think this was covered a several messages back--I think it was figured out, that there was a misprint in the manual, and the only time the doors beeped, was if you had the VIP alarm installed.

[iPod2Car]

Anyone removed the stock radio from the Tacoma? How hard was it, what was involved? Links to pictures if you have them would be great, or instructions.

Has anyone bought the official service manual for the '05? Wondering how much it costs.
  • mike181mike181 Member Posts: 4
    No, I have a topper on the 2002 tacoma. I want to buy a slide in camper with the sleeper over the cab. I have contacted Six Pac, and one called Alpine. Both have said they don't have plans to make a camper for the 05 composite bed Tacomas. I plan on trading my 02 for the 05 because I am retiring this year.

Thanks Mike
  • toytrucktoytruck Member Posts: 67
    Noticed the paint chipping on mine today. 5200 miles, Speedway Blue. Chips are on the rocker panels, bottom of doors, window frames, hood and in front of the rear wheel wells. Will go to the dealer tomorrow. Anyone had any resolution yet? I have a '86 truck that doesn't have as many chips!!!
  • nickt1nickt1 Member Posts: 32
    Take it in to your dealer. It's happening to alot of trucks. Toyota should repaint the rocker panel area for you, as long as you agree to put the Toyota running boards on, at your cost, to protect the paint. That's the only way Toyota will repaint the truck.
  • buffalonickelbuffalonickel Member Posts: 113
    My 03 two years ago had the same problem. Local body shop painted it and the bed. They rebadged the bed and charged Toyota for the paint job. It looked much better. And no one made me buy running boards.

B
  • rupnokrupnok Member Posts: 6
    I've had my '05 access cab for a week now and noticed it has the same leak problem everybody is talking about. Pretty disappointed, hope I'll be able to get it fixed. It's already starting to smell inside as it has been raining for a couple of days. Also noticing the "knocking noise" that everybody keeps talking about. Sounds like the seatbelt hitting, but it's not - I guess I can live with it though because it's not too loud. Hope I wasn't premature with this purchase, the Frontier is looking much better now!
  • sckowsckow Member Posts: 5
    I picked up my 05 Silver Access Cab 4X4 4Cyl 5M two Saturdays ago during the blizzard we had in the North East. Had to use the 4 high right out of the parking lot. I love the truck...It is light years ahead of the "87" I just sold. The 4 cylinder has plenty of power for my Long Island driving. Gas mileage for the first 2 tanks was 19.4 and 19.8...(the first tank had a good handful of 4 wheel drive)...80% of my driving can be considered "city"....I'm very pleased with this, considering oxygenated gas and an engine that is still new. I probably would have never noticed the glove box defect if I hadn't read about it first...I need a locking gas cap....The heater does make a lot of noise...Great looking truck...It gets lots of compliments ...But I have that rattle that has been discussed in some previous posts...Sounds like someone left a 3/8 socket that bounces between the frame rails somewhere under the back part of the cab...I can't pinpoint it, but I plan to try to find it once the weather changes. Any suggestions for the rattle would be appreciated..(I hate to bring it back to the dealer)
  • coinneachcoinneach Member Posts: 34
    I have the VIP alarm system. It doesn't beep when using the remote door lock key fob.

[Remote Door Locking Problem]

I think this was covered a several messages back--I think it was figured out, that there was a misprint in the manual, and the only time the doors beeped, was if you had the VIP alarm installed. geogecko
  • beanctrbeanctr Member Posts: 99
    Having been a prior owner of a 02 Tacoma Extended Cab 4X4 V6 and having recently test driven an 05 Regular Cab 4x4 4cyl and an 05 Access Cab V6 PreRunner, I can say that the new Tacoma is much improved over its predecessor, especially in the ride department. That being said, in my opinion Toyota didn't hit a home run with this vehicle -a solid double and perhaps a triple but not a home run. Here are my reasons:

-NOISEY when under acceleration. It sounded like the engine was sitting in the passenger seat next me. Was this the area where Toyota cut costs? It sounded noiser than my 2002 Tacoma. This would be easier to accept on the $15K Tacoma Regular cab but not the decked out 4x4 Double Cabs costing in the neighborhood of $30K.

-Lack of availability of safety equipment such as side curtain air bags and VSC. This seems to be a continuing issue with Toyota vehicles. I will; however, congratulate Toyota on making ABS standard across the line.

-Premium Fuel Recommendation on V6- Premium fuel isn't required; however, for improved vehicle performance (e.g. fuel economy) Toyota recommends the use of premium. Toyota please see Honda on how to engineer a V6 engine that doesn't need premium.

-Why is the use of chrome bumpers disappearing on Toyota Trucks? First it was the Tundra and now the Tacoma. Painted bumpers in my opinion are more prone to scratching and are less durable than chrome bumpers, besides chrome looks better in my opinion.
  • tacofan4lifetacofan4life Member Posts: 33
    I have the VIP alarm..Dealer threw it in for no extra cost since they didn't quote it in the price I agreed upon. Sticker shows VIP alarm but I have no beep when I lock or unlock the doors! I had an 03 before my 05 and had the beep on the 03 and don't care either way. I just trust that when I hit the button on my remote the doors lock! I don't know what the manual says but I can live with the new system...If anybody finds that the VIP should beep let me know and I will bring it up to my dealer.

Thanks again guys!!!
    Go to the Frontier forum..they are having more problems than the Tacoma! Nissan is still trying to catch up to Toyota in quality!
    It locks its self for safety. My 03 did the same thing. If you don't open the door soon enough it locks again. Most new vehicles do that
  • novanova Member Posts: 135
    Yes go to the frontier forums. Frontiers have a couple of small problems. NOTHING compared to the tacoma.If you check the forum you will see for your self.

05 Frontier owner no problems, 20 mpg on regular fuel
  • mmcfadmmcfad Member Posts: 2
    I would suggest that you visit the website. Most of the information you're looking for can be found here. Contacting the company directly is also a good idea. This module does work. Comes with a "Car Life warranty". Can be transferred to subsequent vehicles (and so can the warranty). Warranty is insured by a large insurance company not just the module company which has been in business for 23 years.
  • juliagooliajuliagoolia Member Posts: 14
    Thanks for the information. I have already done everything that you have suggest. It is just hard to believe that something like that will work, but it also very costly. The initial cost is $721.00 plus tax and there is a $35.00 yearly inspections cost and every 4 year you need to reapply the paint protection for $250.00 Have you heard of anything called the diamond module? This is another name brand?
    Tacomas are only having minor problems also. A few knocks and a little water leak. Big deal. 05 Frontiers have only been out a couple weeks. Give it more time. The Tacoma has been out for a few months now.

Everybody I know that has a Nissan truck has problems with it. The owner of the Toyota dealer I bought my Taco at used to own the Nissan dealer next door. He said he sold it because the Nissans fall apart and even Nissan would not back their own vehicles when they had problems. Good luck when you start having problems with it!
  • centralcalcentralcal Member Posts: 215
    I agree with you, too early to tell with the Frontier, but aren't you dissappointed with the Taco quality? Water leaks? Rattles? Engine ticks? Paint chips? Cracked beds? I am suprised, I was eager to buy a Taco (mostly because of history of quality, no rattles), just really didn't like it. But I think you would have to be concerned that within the first 3 months of release there are this many problems, what happens at 3 years. If toyota didn't pay attention to small things when they made them, what would make you think that they closely evaluated long term problems. I mean, water leaks? Are you kidding me? Didn't they take it out in the rain when they designed it?
  • chileheadchilehead Member Posts: 41
    Our rattle turned out to be an ice scraper in the backseat storage compartment. I suspect that this is not the end of the rattle though--we'll see.

MPG:

I was somewhat disappointed with under 20 mpg on the first two fill-ups on our 4 cyl. Our third fill-up was over 22 mpg, and much of that was in 4-wheel drive, so things are looking better.

4x4 (un)lighted knob:

The 4x4 knob appears to have an opaque lens (where the "arrow" is) just like the ones for the heater controls. I wonder if they forgot to place a lamp behind the knob, or just decided not to add one?
  • chileheadchilehead Member Posts: 41
    ... are an ugly part of an otherwise decent interior. Whoever designed that center console ought to be shot. On a truck this expensive, they could have added another storage compartment (with removable cup inserts) in the same amount of space those three gaping holes are taking up. (Access Cab.)
  • vmimanvmiman Member Posts: 80
    Cooch:

I addressed this problem on the forum back in December. Apparently the owners manual is incorrect. Only the lights flash when using the remote UNLESS you pay for the VIP security upgrade for around $500.00.

vmiman
    You can defeat the automatic door locking. I found that when I turn the engine off and MANUALLY unlock the doors before I open the door to get out, they won't automatically lock back up on you. If you open your door or the passenger door before you manually unlock the doors using the switch on the door, they will relock automatically. (By the way my Acura and Honda accord also relock automatically).

vmiman
    Anyone found a locking gas cap that will fit?

The Fram one listed does not.

Stant does not show one on their website either.

Seems like it couldn't be that hard to design one to fit.

vmiman
    Here's an e-mail address which will get you in touch directly with Toyota on any questions or problems. They will get back to you in a day or two:

toyota_cares@toyota.com

I've used them a couple of times and they have been responsive.

vmiman
    For people interested.

05 Toyota Tacoma Service Manuals (Direct From Toyota)

00400RM1162U1 Engine

00400RM1162U2 Chassis

00400RM1162U3 Body/Electrical

All are $136 each. (That's $408 for the complete set!)
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A newspaper reporter would like to interview owners of big pick-up trucks with large cabs that they primarily use for family transportation. If you fit what the reporter is looking for and you are interested in being interviewed, please send a brief description of yourself and your vehicle with your daytime contact information to Kirsten Holguin at kholguin@edmunds.com by 9am Pacific, Friday, February 4.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Are YOU selling these? If so, we don't allow that in the Forums; however, if you put them up for sale on Ebay by following the ad linked at the left, they'll appear on the ad within these forums in a matter of minutes.

kirstie_h

Roving Host

Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• steelerstacosteelerstaco Member Posts: 6
    I purchased my tacoma double cab long bed in November and has been trouble free ever since. I have been extremely impressed with its capabilities both on and off-road. My odometer is just over 9000 miles. My only complaint is the tires I blew out the sidewall on one of the tires on a rock off-roading. I have the 265/65 R17 Dunlops. From what I've read their sidewalls are pretty thin and I plan on upgrading these to something a little more rugged.
    Negative on that.

I just called Toyota Literature because I was looking at getting them. My local dealership said they didn't have them in stock yet, and didn't know prices, but gave me the number at Toyota to call.

That's a hefty price to pay for all of them though.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,780
    Nissan would not back their own vehicles when they had problems.

In the experiences I have had / heard, this is absolutely correct if the vehicle is "out of warranty." Not that any of those vehicles had any more problems than an owner might expect from another make, but the mfgr response was poor (at best) even if dealing with an obvious mfg defect. In one case, the defect disabled the vehicle prior to the 36K warranty expiration, but due to towing, the odometer was a few hundred miles over 36K when the service was performed and Nissan flat refused to cover the $1000 expense.

For me, that's the biggest black mark against purchasing any Nissan vehicle. However, were I choosing between an '05 Frontier or Tacoma, I'd have to go with the Nissan because it is a better vehicle, dollar-for-dollar. Thankfully, I am not having to make this choice!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • canadiantacocanadiantaco Member Posts: 24
    hey i just got a quote for 35 500 plus gst with everything included so walkhome round 38000 i told the guy to eat the gst and id but it on the spot. he seemed interested but said no should i stand or ask for a even better price lol.. what did you guys pay.. under msrp .. im getting bout 1.5 gs off rite now.. so i duno if its good deal or not.. and whats the canadian invoice on these
    its a v6 auto access cab with offroad package
  • novanova Member Posts: 135
    My truck is a month old no problems. the tacoma problems started showing up the second week. I do not hate the tacoma all i am doing is stating the FACKS.I do believe that the toyota at one time was better then the nissan. NOT ANY MORE
    OK... in that case, thanks for sharing!

kirstie_h

Roving Host

Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• coastie1coastie1 Member Posts: 20
    Iwas just wondering, i was thinking of purchasing an 05 Tacoma, was the leak taken care of..any problems with the composite bed?? How long have you had it..I am up in NH,, Thank you for your time
  • wawawawawawa Member Posts: 1
    I have experienced NO problem after 3000 miles on my 2005, 4Cyl. extended cab Tacoma . A few weeks ago we had extended heavy rain in South Cal. and there was no leakage in my truck. I am very happy with my truck. It is quiet, smooth ride and has enough power for my needs. I get around 24 to 25 MPG for %70 highway and %30 city driving.
    I got $2,000 of the MFSP
    u kanadian then...? ya i duno wut to ask for i was gonna say eat the gst with the thousand off but i think thats wishful thinking
  • fagglefaggle Member Posts: 5
    I have 1000 miles on a 2005 Taco, Access Cab, 4X4, 4 Cyl. Gas mileage on highway is 23.3. Very good performance for a 4 cyl. Toyota has definitely gotten the max out of 4 cylinders.

Body rattles and I am not happy with that.

Owners manual plainly states that when remote locking and unlocking doors there is suppose to be a beep. There is none and that is simply misleading manual info. Who the heck proof reads the manuals at Toyota?

Rides like a dream. Looks great and have had a lot of compliments.

No leaks have been observed and I have been in some hellish rain storms.

Two questions:

1) Did not get upgrade alloy wheels because I wanted special aftermarket ones. Current tire size is 245/75R/16 when delivered. Does anyone know if a 265/70R/16 tire will fit properly on this vehicle and not void any warranty, etc?

2) Does anyone know of any after market Taco fog lamps that are being offered. Toyota dealer wants $199. for each light. Can you believe that?I saw the ones on EBay and they are definitely a scam. I hate the black holes in bumper.

Thanks for any help...............
  • wes240wes240 Member Posts: 33
    Canadiantaco quote:

hey i just got a quote for 35 500 plus gst with everything included so walkhome round 38000 i told the guy to eat the gst and id but it on the spot. he seemed interested but said no should i stand or ask for a even better price lol.. what did you guys pay.. under msrp .. im getting bout 1.5 gs off rite now.. so i duno if its good deal or not.. and whats the canadian invoice on these

holy s&*t is that hard to read...... what age do they let are friends up north drive?
    ya im 17 and im gettin a tacoma ... damn sweet eh and im puttin 20s on it... and subs and seet covers and lowerin it and puttn a body kit on it or gettin a custom one if one aint out soon enuff. i duno im figurin to put 7500 buks into it. so how much under msrp did u canadians get ur truk for
  • mmcfadmmcfad Member Posts: 2
    Yes I know it.

May I suggest you visit;

www.corrosion-doctors.org

This is a very informational site by corrosion experts.

If it is the Final Coat module you're looking at, the Paint Sealant is optional. If it is applied and warranted it needs to be re applied every 5 years.Doing this will also allow you to have the Surface Rust option. This is unquestionably the best coverage available anywhere since it duplicates the car manufacturer's warranty for car-life if inspections and sealant is kept up. If you want to know what this coverage actually is, check your automobile owners manual. Electronic rust control is the best way to protect your car but be careful, all modules are not the same.
  • gearhead1gearhead1 Member Posts: 408
    "ya im 17 and im gettin a tacoma ... damn sweet eh and im puttin 20s on it... and subs and seet covers and lowerin it and puttn a body kit on it or gettin a custom one if one aint out soon enuff. i duno im figurin to put 7500 buks into it. so how much under msrp did u canadians get ur truk for"

Your post is practically unreadable. I hope your driving is better than your grammar and spelling.
  • larry10larry10 Member Posts: 88
    I have a 2005 Taco Prerunner access cab I looked underneath and noticed a bead of caulk looking stuff all the way across near the back door,I guess I was one of the lucky ones who had problem fixed before i bought truck (12-14-2004).Looks like they did a good job should never leak. Now i feel i should buy running boards to prevent paint chipping..i like the looks of tube steps better but I doubt they would be as effective. Any thoughts on this? BTW I paid 1400.00 over invoice and felt lucky to get it at that price. Here near San Francisco I rarely see 2005 tacos on the street, seems to be a shortage at the moment.As far as the glove box issue goes I did notce it but It doesn't bother me, seems very minor.(at least with my color) Mostly hwy driving i get 20 mpg I use mid-grade I am satisfied with that. I really am happy with the truck I hope you nice people end up feeling the same. Take Care All!
    Great thanks.

The company that I am dealing with just switched from Final coat to DK Diamond-Kote. Have you heard anything about this company?
  • demoncleanerdemoncleaner Member Posts: 82
    I've been lucky too. Had mine (Dcab Sport 6spd)since mid Dec, 2200 miles. Never been back to dealer. I thought I heard the cab clunk early on, but havent heard it in a month. All I've done is put 16' snow tires on, the Bridgestone H/T 17' Sport tires are awful in snow.
  • jeffjeffjeffjeff Member Posts: 54
    I hope to buy a Tacoma within the next few months, possibly early to mid-spring. If Toyota sees that there are manufacturing defects at this time with the vehicle, would they not be addressing the issue in the factories now as the trucks are being built? I would hate to think that trucks coming off of the assembly line now are being constructed the way they have been since day one of production. One of the major concerns for me is the water leak issue. It's kind of difficult to get an estimate of how many people are actually having this problem, but from the hundreds of posts on this forum, it seems like the odds of buying a truck with this problem are pretty high. Does anyone know how Toyota would address this issue? Would Toyota wait until the 2006 model year to address the issues for 2005 and just patch up the cases that are coming in to them in the meantime?
    Drove the new Taco home from the dealership last night. Rides very smooth, and not bouncey like my dad's 98 kind of is. Very happy with what I got.

Dealer pushed the extended warranty with two different people (I said no, then they brought in another guy to ask me again). Considering that it added $70 to each month's payment (comes out to $4200, not including interest), I just couldn't do it!

Dealer installed window tinting (included in cost of vehicle), pin stripes (which I'm not really sure if I like--is there an easy way to remove them?), and door edge guards (also not sure if I like, but will leave them on for now, they are just stuck on with double sided tape, from what I can tell).

Truck had the $250+ roof rack option installed, which I didn't order, and was never asked to pay for, so I guess that is cool! Noticed that there was no front skid plate (or at least, it's not the usual one I'm used to seeing). I thought the TRD Sport and Off-Road came with this? It may be there, but if it is, it's been a redesigned unit, and painted black. (It was hard to see in the dark.)

Have not noticed the cab bolt noise, too early to tell about the leak problem. Glovebox thing is very minor, not worth the hassle (wouldn't have noticed either). Engine ticking is slightly present, but appears to be just a normal engine noise (I'll goose the gas on the way home, and see if it's worse).

I'm very impressed with the truck, overall. Leather interior was very pricey, but after seeing it, I realized that it was of higher quality than what is normally in some vehicles... More to come later...
  • jackhammerjackhammer Member Posts: 92
    I got around $2300 off the MSRP from a dealer in Ontario
  • atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
    I do not understand it. I've got a graduate degree and my wife and I are pulling in a six figure income (American dollars). There is no way I can afford to buy a new truck and then drop $7,500 into it.

And some 17 year old kid who can barely read and write can? What am I doing wrong with my life?
  • iwanna05tacoiwanna05taco Member Posts: 11
    kids today don't have to worry about rent, health insurance, school payments, food expenses, and other costs that add up. wouldn't be surprised if a parent is helping in the purchase.