Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Tacoma 2005+

Comments

• Options
    jackhammerjackhammer Member Posts: 92
    You guys haven't heard about the money trees that grow outside our igloos here in Canada ? Just kiddin !
  • Options
    westeemwesteem Member Posts: 49
    Leak was taken care of. No leaks found with recent heavy rains here. No problems with composite bed and I haul a lot of hollow tiles and concrete mix bags.
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,796
    Hahahahha! I'm not sure what the range is on those trees, but maybe that's what all those stumps were on my property when I bought it..... ;-D

Now if I could just keep the darned igloo from melting every summer.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    mike181mike181 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks Jackhammer. I appreciate the link to the Topper site. There are still quite a few bears here in Idaho so I was looking for a regular hard sided slide in camper for the little added time it would take a bear to make a snack of us. Looks like Six Pac Campers aren't going to make anything for the 05 this year.
  • Options
    3degree3degree Member Posts: 3
    YES! but not just in the Tacoma, But in my Camry!and not typically while the phone is in use. See link below.

http://www.carstereo.com/forum/showthread.cfm?TID=11995&FID=3

As the other gentleman put it- does it sound like Morse code on Steroids?
  • Options
    fagglefaggle Member Posts: 5
    Will you encounter any problems if you mount 265/70R/16 tires on the 16" rims on a regular 2005 Taco? Truck does not have the TRD package. Ones on now are 245/75R/16. Appreciate any help..........

Traveldog of Virginia
  • Options
    coastie1coastie1 Member Posts: 20
    With all these posts in regards to the leaks, and any issues with the composite bed, Is purchsing the Tacoma worth it.. I still cannot find any company that offers a tonneau cover..I may have to got a Tundra..Any ideas. Thank you for the input
  • Options
    seminole key-- I have the same problem!!!

But I'm seeing reports that it DOESN"T HAPPEN in every car, every car stereo system...... My car audio installer said I was the 1st person they have ever had that has had this problem (and the car audio location is partnered with a Verizon cell phone store!!!) With all the GSM phones out there- this issue should be very prevalent to where the car audio suppliers and cell phone suppliers addres it!

So the question is what is the difference in the car/audio systems where it happens and where it doesn't???? And then what can be done to prevent/eliminate it
  • Options
    Mine appears to be when the cell phone has to reacquire a tower along my commute- Never has happened on an incoming or outgoing call from the phone!

• Options
    purestockpurestock Member Posts: 17
    Has anyone visited the "Build your Toyota" link on ToyotaUSA and noticed that the color availbility has changed for several models. Most noticeable is Speedway Blue missing from all 4X4 models. I also noticed that Indigo Ink is no longer shown as available on several of the 4X4 models. Let me qualify the above by saying I am looking in the KY/IL/OH/TN region. I also noticed Speedway Blue missing from the 4X4's in the Southeast Region. I know both colors were available earlier and have seen both on delivered vehicles. Has anyone tried to order Speedway Blue in the last couple of weeks on anything other than an X-Runner?
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A newspaper reporter would like to interview owners of big pick-up trucks with large cabs that they primarily use for family transportation. If you fit what the reporter is looking for and you are interested in being interviewed, please send a brief description of yourself and your vehicle with your daytime contact information to Kirsten Holguin at kholguin@edmunds.com by 9am Pacific, Monday, February 7.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    xsactaxsacta Member Posts: 26
    Between Edmunds, Tunrasolutions, and Toyota Nation forums, including cross posting, I've casually counted about 12 people reporting leaks. That number could be a bit higher as a significant number of buyers don't read the forums. Still, you can bet that Toyota is aware of the traffic on these forums and will have addressed the leak issue in their most recent production units. If you buy a truck off the lot it might pay to choose one of recent production by checking that date of manufacture. Better yet you could just wait a little longer to buy.

A.R.E. offers a hard tonneau cover. I'm waiting for Leer or A.R.E. to develop a cap as Snugtop doesn't have an East coast dealer in my area (Long Island). I really need a cap. I tried to order one the day I bought the truck and was disappointed to find out that one wouldn't be offered for the long bed until the end of the first quarter of '05 at the earliest, probably later than that.%#*%*!!!!

I haven't had a leak. The composite bed seems to be fine. I'm a contractor, so the bed has seen some use. However, I am a bit cautious about sliding lumber over the tailgate and letting it bang down into the front of the bed near the cab. I'll probably install a sheet of diamond plate across that vertical section of the bed to protect it. I'm not sure if that's actually necessary but I'm not going to risk blowing a hole through the composite with a 2" X 4".

Hope this helps
  • Options
    t5j6flat5j6fla Member Posts: 1
    Ordered a Dcab (4x2, V6, AT, Impulse Red, SR5, Stability Control, side airbags) in early Dec. They said it'd be Feb, but now March, in part due to Tijuana plant delays (even though it may not actually be built there). They called in Jan and said I couldn't get the JBL 6-disc stereo (wouldn't fit????) - now hearing it may be just a configuration ordering problem. Any similar info? From info here, I'm now gonna add running boards (for paint chipping), unless the tube steps also work for protection (any word?).
  • Options
    chileheadchilehead Member Posts: 41
    I notice the fine print at the bottom of the paint color page still says that Speedway Blue is available on 4x4's, so maybe it is just a web site snaffu. It seems to be a popular color, so maybe Toyota figures they can use it to sell more add-ons.
  • Options
    Just wondering if some of these issues have been taken care of on newer builds, or if it is more of a hit-or-miss thing. Ours was built in October, and other than the glove box issue, it seems to be fine. No rattle, no leaks. (The verdict is still out on paint-chipping.)

Yes, there are things Toyota could have done to improve it, but overall this is a very nice truck.
  • Options
    srandytsrandyt Member Posts: 35
    Purestock

Try a different zip code, like 30305 for Atlanta, and pick any of the dealers that are listed next. The southeast site will show you a delivery schedule for every combination in the region, with the s/n portion of the VIN. The site for KY/IL/OH/TN/MI (where I live, too) is much more limiting and uses these funky combination packages that shoehorn you into less flexibility. That is why I went through the TVA Credit Union Auto Finder (ask for Tambra).
  • Options
    tacantacan Member Posts: 4
    Installed Toyota fog lamps in my 2005 double cab manual trans SR5 Canada package in about 20 min. All the wiring is in place: switch wire is attached to the back of the blank in the dash (just ease it out with a penknife), bulb wiring harness with plugs is taped up behind the bumper, and the fuse relay snaps into the main box under hood.

The problem is price: switch part 84160-04010 $64.30, relay part 90080-87026 $93.00, bulb part 90981-ad002 $26.00, and lamp assembly part (!)$195.86 ($CAN).

The lamp assembly snaps into the same slots as the black plastic fillers in the bumper.

It would be quite a saving to get just the switch and relay and insert some after market fog lamps. Select one with a small bracket that could be attached inside the socket in the bumper. It is all light plastic and easily drilled.
  • Options
    aa00aa00 Member Posts: 30
    Just got called today and was told that my double cab trd offroad with siderails shortbed that was due in next week, will not be here till 3/1. This was ordered in dec....Anything with the offroad is a hard truck to find here in florida..Will have to keep waiting.
  • Options
    volleyvolley Member Posts: 298
    The leak issue seems to be a pretty easy and minor fix. I have it in my truck and an appointment with the dealer to have it fixed. The leak hasn't changed the fact that I love this truck and it is the best one I have owned (and I'm not some Toyota loyalist..I'm a previous Ford owner).

I have had no problems with the composite bed whatsoever, in fact I love the fact that I don't need to buy a liner.

As for tonneaus. They are out there. These are the ones I have seen so far: Snuglid, A.R.E., Extang, Access Cover, Truxedo and LUND. I'm getting the Truxedo Low Profile myself, so I know they're out there. Just look around you'll find a lot of stuff popping up for the 05s.
  • Options
    bigandybigandy Member Posts: 70
    Those who have bought a new Tacoma were sent a questionaire that ends with three questions (I'm paraphrasing):

What do you like most about your Tacoma?

What do you like least about your Tacaoma?

What would you like to see us add to the Tacoma?

What have you guys been entering in answer to these questions?
  • Options
    vmimanvmiman Member Posts: 80
    BIGANDY:

Never got this questionnaire. Who sent it?
  • Options
    Straight from Toyota. Contains questions about the transaction, the dealer and the vehicle. The dealers seem to care about this as Toyota uses them to rate the dealerships. I hope they also pay attention to comments about the vehicle as well.
  • Options
    larry10larry10 Member Posts: 88
    Anyone else have paint chipping problem?
  • Options
    purestockpurestock Member Posts: 17
    Thanks srandyt for the credit union contact.

The Southeast region is no longer Speedway Blue as an option for 4X4 Access Cabs either. Or maybe in their case it is just not shown because there are none currently available in the SE??
  • Options
    evsevs Member Posts: 6
    Just put the factory roof rack on yesterday. Drove it for the first time today and the noise is very bad. All brackets and rubber mounting plates, including channel rubber looks fine but go about 40-50mph. and there is major noise coming from the rack.(with the crossbars stowed) I hope Toyota didn't make a design flaw and this noise is never going away?
  • Options
    Yup. The verdict IS in on our Speedway Blue.

Finally had a chance to wash the salt off and noticed the chips that have been described. Road crews around here use a lot of cinders, but they should not cause this much damage. Man, that is thin paint! It appears as if there is no clear-coat at all.

I'm going to take it to my favorite body shop this week and see what they say about it.
  • Options
    tacan............Thanks for the information regarding the fog lights. Wonder if the necessary wiring is in place on ALL Tacoma trucks. I have a 4X4 Access Cab. The lamp assembly cost $195.86: is that for both lamps or per lamp? Again thanks
  • Options
    srandytsrandyt Member Posts: 35
    It is based on the build and regional distribution schedules. They may not plan to ship any in the next couple of months. Then again, they may decide not to send any here for the rest of the model year. They make this entirely too complicated. Forum members from other regions may be able to chime in on how to access their locators and whether Speedway Blue is still available there.
  • Options
    evsevs Member Posts: 6
    Well I found the reason for the roof rack noise--It's my CB antenna in combination with the rack that is making the noise. If I remove the antenna the noise stops. However I did deploy the rack like I was carrying something and it is very noisy without the antenna. I guess I'll have to put up with the loud rack when I carry something. But for my antenna, I'm not sure what I'm going to do- It's brand new and I love my CB.
  • Options
    canadiantacocanadiantaco Member Posts: 24
    How much did u pay including everything but gst ... say what model and options to.. iv been offered a grand under msrp with just gst to add on and theyll "take care" of other costs... 35500 for a v6 auto access taco offroad pak...wich is about 999$ under msrp and just gst added to that.. wut u pay...?
  • Options
    tacantacan Member Posts: 4
    Unfortunately those are the prices per part. The total bill was over $600.

The sympathetic dealer in Kelowna let me scan his wiring and parts pages and it looks like the harness is all-purpose. There are a lot of unused wires and sockets that line up with other blank switches under the dash. I discovered a lot of them before I caught on that all you had to do was ease the blank out from the front and the wiring was attached.

It probably does not pay to build them with custom harnesses.

Hope this helped.
  • Options
    chi11chi11 Member Posts: 3
    Bought my 05 Tacoma Double Cab back in November. Evidently, I have the leak issue. While cleaning out my drivers side floor this past weekend, I discovered what felt like someone had poured a gallon of water under my mats. I vacuumed up at least a pint of water with my shop vac. I will be visiting my dealer ASAP. From finding other posts about leaks, I assume that this is resolvable. Any bad out comes with getting dealers to fix this issue?
  • Options
    rupnokrupnok Member Posts: 6
    You betcha! I posted about a week ago with the leak problem. I have owned other Toyota trucks in the past and have never had any problems with service. However, this time when I took my Tacoma in with the leak, I was greeted with nothing but hostility and lack of concern. I am highly disappointed with Toyota customer care in Alabama. From what I have been reading, other customers are receiving better service, but I would strongly advise individuals in my state to beware! The Nissan Frontier is looking better and better!
  • Options
    canadiantacocanadiantaco Member Posts: 24
    how much would it cozt? to add exact one...
  • Options
    gearhead1gearhead1 Member Posts: 408
    Until toyota issues a TSB, they might think it's your fault. I've got this image in my head about Alabama, and that's the way I'd imagine they would respond. :)
  • Options
    chi11chi11 Member Posts: 3
    I just set up an appointment with my dealer here in North Carolina to fix this issue. He stated that his service department has already fixed one 05 Tacoma and expects to see many more. I'll post the results of my experience.
  • Options
    stephen1stephen1 Member Posts: 27
    My dealer located a crew cab 2-wheel drive w/TRD #2. Only other option was floor mats. MSRP is $26,145. Quoted me $24,888 for this unit ($1,257 off msrp). Don't know how good a deal this is. Any comments?
  • Options
    geogeckogeogecko Member Posts: 225
    evs. What model of CB do you have? I am interested in getting one, but not sure which one yet. Guess I'll have to find a place to mount it, other than the roof rack, that is, if I don't want that noise.

[Paint Chipping]

Was looking really closely at the paint job on my new Taco this weekend, and noticed one thing. While I don't have any chips yet, if you get down on the ground (with your head really low, almost like you are looking under the vehicle), I noticed that about the first 5 inches of paint from the bottom seem to have a different texture. It seems either thicker, or a little rougher. I wonder if this is some kind of fix for the chipping problem on the rocker panels? The texture blends nicely with the rest of the paint job. I didn't notice it until I was checking out the underside of the truck. Anyone else have, or not have, this textured paint on the bottom 5 or so inches of their truck paint job (sides)?
  • Options
    Pricing:

You need to use the pricing tools here at edmunds.com or kbb.com and figure out what dealer cost is. It is my contention that MSRP is irrelevant.

Figure out what the vehicle costs the dealer

Add $400-600 in profit for them

Find a dealer that will get you what you want at that price

Dealers have access to vehicles from several hundred miles around, so if they don't have what you want, tell them to pull a printout of what is regionally available. It's ok to have several dealers tell you no, as that means you aren't leaving many hundreds or thousands of dollars on the table. If you are Costco member, they have a program that will save you some money. I was skeptical, but it was a major help in my recent purchase.

Paint:

That rippled paint has been used for some time on Toyotas. You're right, it's hard to see if you don't get down on the ground and it is thicker and tougher than regular paint. Check out other Tacomas. It was on my 1999 and my 1992.

• Options
    jackhammerjackhammer Member Posts: 92
    Hi Tacan

I am from Canada also and wanted to speak to you about the fog lights you were mentioning, whats your e-mail addy ? Thanks
  • Options
    swordsword Member Posts: 1
    After reading everything I could about the 2005 Tacoma since it was introduced, I finally got one this past weekend. I bought a double cab 4x2 Auto TRD Off-Road with towing (OG package) and the floor mats. The color is Impulse Red. I got $2500 off the MSRP of $26065.

I am going to get some running boards/rails next. I have no problem getting in, but it is humorous to watch my five-foot wife try to climb in. Maybe I can get her a stepladder...

I have not noticed any leaks but it does have the infamous plastic swirl on the glove compartment. I might ask for a replacement if it really starts to bother me.
  • Options
    geogeckogeogecko Member Posts: 225
    I'm not sure if I really want the running boards or not, but since it would help protect the paint, and also allow my wife easier access...then I might go with it. However, are the running boards painted to match the truck, or are they just a standard color. It's hard to tell from the pictures...

Also, what's the asking price for these, if not purchased with the truck?
  • Options
    engineerbooengineerboo Member Posts: 45
    I don't know how much the factory running boards are but I ordered the Tube Steps by Dee Zee from my dealer because they are perfect match to my Silver Streak Mica truck.

They were about $415 plus $170 for installation. (I'd heard the trucks are pre-drilled for the installation but I don't have time to mess with it so I'm letting them do it.)

You can look at all the options available for the Tacoma at toyota.com

Rick
  • Options
    jackhammer........... I am currently working on the foglight problem also. Let me know how to get in touch and we can compare what we are finding out. Are you on Toyota Nation? If you are I am Cooch and can exchange info there.
  • Options
    chiefman1chiefman1 Member Posts: 22
    I ordered a 2005 Double Cab,auto, TRD package #2 on December 18, 2004 and took delivery on Jan.29, 2005. Silver Streak Mica. Very limited miles at this point but really like the truck. Glove box is not discolored, took garden hose to windshield and can get no leak, no rattles on rough road, do have the paint difference along the bottom door panels which you have to sit on ground to notice, but I think this is normal paint job from factory. Rear flared wheel wells came with protective 3M clear protector. I bought clear bra protect ant from dealer.

See very few new Tacomas on road although the three times I have driven mine I have passed two.
  • Options
    The Toyota running boards are black. They look very nice, but SWMBO did not want them so the dealer took them off our truck and gave us credit for them. To be fair to SWMBO, the Toyota running boards are the same height as the floor, so they serve no purpose as a "step." After our paint problem though, I'm having second thoughts!

Invoice price on them was $369.00
  • Options
    larry10larry10 Member Posts: 88
    I'll be darn..I just went out and looked at the lower 5 inches and you are right..looks like toyota is right on top of all these problems. I got my truck 12-14-2004 water leak was also corrected before truck hit the lot. I have ordered black running boards ( $247.50 + 40.00 shipping)

I think they will look great! (wife will love them too)
  • Options
    chiefman1chiefman1 Member Posts: 22
    No way to know if Toyota factory is aware of each of the problems that are posted in chat rooms but it makes business sense that they would listen to their dealers if, for example, the water leak is coming back to them in quantity. This new Tacoma looks like an awesome truck that is solid Toyota from the ground up. You take some risk with any new model but as Motor Trend Truck of the Year it looks like it earned that award.
  • Options
    aa00aa00 Member Posts: 30
    I ordered my double cab trd #2 offroad silver streak mica on 12/19. My original delivery date was 2/14, now it is 3/1. My truck also will have the tube steps on it as well. I traded in my 2004 taco and it also had the paint differance along bottom panels. How do you like the clear bra? Did you get trd offroad #2 or sport #2?
  • Options
    mark22mark22 Member Posts: 3
    I bought my 05 at the end of November. No leaks, glove box problems or noises. 4x4, 4 cylinder, white. It has 4000 miles on it, been off road several times. Hauled quite a bit in it with no problems. Went from a Ranger Edge, no comparison. Very happy with it.