Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma 2005+

Comments

• walterswalters Member Posts: 22
    I have a Prerunner V6 Access Cab, auto trans. Has anyone noticed a vibration at 20 MPH that feels like a driveshaft vibration? I have been noticing this. It's fairly minor but definitely there. Mostly noticed when decelerating, feels a little like running over a washboard.
  • sbsyncrosbsyncro Member Posts: 66
    Has anyone with the TRD "Sport" package swapped the 17" Bridgestone street tires for something a bit more "offroad-ish" like a Michelin LTX or BFG Rugged Trail? (I don'e want All Terrains - they get too noisy IMO once they get to about 30% tread wear).

Just curious about what options and sizes people have come up with - wondering if I should try to get the tires swapped when I get my new 4x4 DC LB TRD Sport #4 (PK)... :-)
  • megamolemegamole Member Posts: 22
    Has anyone noticed rust under their truck at all. My 05 Dbl cab 4x4 TRD sport that I took delivery of Feb28 has rust starting on the exhust pipe. There is also two spots on the driver and pasanger sides of the frame, located where the doors meet the engine compartment. I go to the dealer this week to get a prerunner emblem taken off the tailgate where it should not be! If they tell me thats the way it is with the rust I will be pissed!
    I have the same truck you have coming. Mine came with Dunlop AT/20's. The truck is great, the tires are good on dry roads and rain. If you throw in some snow look out. The front end has a tendance to slide in turns even in 4 wheel drive. I want to mention it to the dealer when I go in. Feels like the weight of the vehicle is in the back lifting the wheels up and not letting them dig into the snow. This could also be the fact the Dunlops 17's are wide tires.
    I have the same truck you have coming. Mine came with Dunlop AT/20's. The truck is great, the tires are good on dry roads and rain. If you throw in some snow look out. The front end has a tendency to slide in turns even in 4 wheel drive. I want to mention it to the dealer when I go in. Feels like the weight of the vehicle is in the back lifting the wheels up and not letting them dig into the snow. This could also be the fact the Dunlop 17's are wide tires.
  • brodeyobrodeyo Member Posts: 26
    Question...I've only owned all wheel drive vehicles in the past, so I'm not totally sure what I should and shouldn't be hearing when engaging the four wheel drive... When engaging the 4x4 (H2 to H4) am I supposed to be hearing a low "thud"?

Thanks in advance.
  • adventurer1adventurer1 Member Posts: 13
    I let the service manager of my local dealer take a listen to the ticking noise I get from my 05 Tacoma crew 4x4 with 750 miles. He definately heard the noise and said he would check with the regional service rep on any/history info on similar complaints. He, as well as I, do not want to tear into a new engine. I believe it is a loose valve not adjusted properly at the factory. sound tends to get quieter when the engine gets fully warmed up. Anybody else have a ticking issue? Other than that, love the truck. Got 18 MPG city this week which was great. Anybody notice that you can get an extra gallon or two in the tank if you are patient with the nozzle? Makes checking milage tricky if you are not consistant. I would like to add a couple of the metal "D" cleats to the front of my bed if possible. Anybody had experience with this?
  • tacoguytacoguy Member Posts: 12
    I purchased an Impulse Red (dark metallic)double cab Tacoma 1 month ago. The first day I had it I noticed a paint chip on the gas cap door. I was NOT happy (I traded in a 94 Toyota 4x4 with 207,000 miles and NO MAJOR CHIPS ANYWHERE). Since then, I've gotten quite a few chips all around the truck. The cab edge right behind the drivers side rear door is all chips. I showed it to the salesman where I purchased the truck and he thanked me for pointing out the problem and said they would take care of it. Next week the service manager and district manager are going to check it out. Stay tuned...

upset over chips!
  • toytrucktoytruck Member Posts: 67
    One of many! Welcome to the club. There are other stories on Tundra Solutions and Toyota Nation boards.

http://www.geocities.com/toytruck86/paintchip.html
  • bro45usbro45us Member Posts: 36
    I have a 05 d cab 4X4 sr5 will 285 tires fit my truck
  • gr8blue1gr8blue1 Member Posts: 33
    I don't have that paint chipping problem but think that w/ these installed, the only thing I'll have to watch out for is any road debris hit by vehicles I'll pass.

• engineerbooengineerboo Member Posts: 45
    No, you won't hear a whole lot of noise when you switch it into H4. You'll see the warning light turn on, blink a few times, and then go solid.

The only time I can really hear mine is when I'm inside the garage and engage it before backing up....then I do hear a couple of noises back there. (Nothing very loud.)

Boo
  • buffalonickelbuffalonickel Member Posts: 113
    lomares,

I showed your photo album of the Radiant Red Tacoma w/ tube steps to my wife. It ended up where she said to order a set of Dee Zees and she would give them to me for my birthday. The dealer stated he would knock off 10% because I just took delivery on the '05 Tacoma.
    I am on a roll!

Cool.

I also joined Kodak Gallery. And I will post my photos on there as well for you to see.

B
  • nickt1nickt1 Member Posts: 32
    I hear a clunk or thud sometimes when disengaging H4. I used to hear it too on my last truck, a Dakota. My only gripe with the Taco's system is that it takes so long to engage and disengage the 4WD.
  • vmimanvmiman Member Posts: 80
    Bill,

Mine is a 4wd access cab with trd sport package, v6 with manual tranny.

Give me a call at 522-0297 if you want to come see it. Most of the miles at 22.3 mgg were in 2wd. I used the 4wd in the parking lot a couple of times.

Tom Clark
  • coldfootcoldfoot Member Posts: 49
    Yes I have noticed some rust spots on my exhaust pipe and also muffler. Havent noticed any on frame yet.
  • miniviperminiviper Member Posts: 13
    Has anyone heard anything about a body kit for the double cab? I want the looks of the x-runner with the convenience and space of an automatic DC.
  • hammaahammaa Member Posts: 79
    I've also got the PreRunner. (DC, TRD Sport, LB) I probably drive about 60/40 freeway/city, and drive very mellow in town, but mostly +/- 75mph on the freeways. My last 3-tanks at 91-octane only got me a fraction over 17 mpg. I've not got about 2200 miles on my badboy, so it's probably pretty well broken in. I guess I need to try driving slower on the freeways to see if I can get that 20mpg that many of you folks on here have been bragging about. Thanks!
    As noted above, I've got the DC, LB, PreRunner TRD Sport, and I've been to 3-different tire shops, and I haven't been able to put larger (wider) tires on w/out a lift and/or different wheels. Apparently 17" the TRD Sport wheels put that tire right against the A-arm, or something like that. So the wheel needs to be smaller/thinner (like a 16"), or have a full off-set to give the tire some room. Since I want an all-terrain tire, I think I'm going to get a small lift and go down a size on the wheels, in order to fit a nice 32" BFG All-terrain (or similiar) tire on there. Anybody else have any experiences to share.

PS. Happy Easter.
  • rpeaserpease Member Posts: 1
    Just bought new 2005 Tacoma with TRD option pkg 4 which includes class 4 hitch. When I took delivery of the truck, there was no drop hitch/ball mount (the part you mount ball on and insert into the reciver). Sales rep could not locate one and when I followed up two days later, sales rep said it is not included with the Tacoma. It never occurred to me to ask about this prior to purchase because my 4-Runner included this part when I purchased it many years ago.

Is sales rep feeding me a line, or does the Tacoma's towing hitch really come without the drop hitch/ball mount now? - rpease
  • hueyhuey Member Posts: 13
    lantak,

The TRD Sport Packages come with a mechanical limited slip. This is what toyotaoffroad.com had to say about it:

"The VSC and A-TRAC systems include Automatic Limited-slip Differential (A-LSD), which uses brake intervention in place of a mechanical-type LSD unit to help reduce tire slippage at the rear wheels (the TRD Off-Road Package uses a locking rear differential, and the TRD Sport Package is equipped with a mechanical limited-slip rear differential)."

Read the whole review here: http://www.toyotaoffroad.com/Articles/Toyota/2005_Tacoma/2005_Tacoma.htm
    yeap... mine makes the same sound. 4x4 trd sport dc lb.
    >>sound tends to get quieter when the engine gets fully warmed up<<
    Yes, my truck does exactly the same thing. I haven't taken it in yet but please keep us posted on what the service manager had to say.
  • 88toylc88toylc Member Posts: 53
    I have the same package and I didn't get a drop hitch/ball mount either. Since I saw no reference to it on the sticker or in the owners' manual, I wasn't expecting to get one.
    Just bought my 05 4x4 dcab sr5 #8 long bed, black sand pearle 0n 3/11/05 and man do I love it! I traded my 02 reg cab 4x4 in on it so it seems like im driving a bus now. No machine is perfect but the new taco is about as close as we gonna get in my opinion. The first thing I did when I got it was mosy on down to the local tire store and ditch those worthless 245 dunlop tires that toy put on it and mount up some 265/70 rubber (HUGE IMPROVEMENT) Had the dealer install a toyota bug deflector but I think the lund would look better. A backlit clock would be nice but at least its in a place where it can be seen now. I love the rear fold down seats for cargo but noticed a big increase in road noise at hwy speeds when the seats were folded down. The DEEZEE tube bars are kinda worthless on my truck it just doesn't sit high enough to use them so I step over them. Other than that I just love my new taco
  • tacomadavetacomadave Member Posts: 24
    did anyone's purchase include the 7 pin to 4 pin converter with the tow package?
  • jkjohnjkjohn Member Posts: 11
    Mine did, but I specifically asked for it before closing the deal.
  • pb2themaxpb2themax Member Posts: 471
    Most exhaust systems are made from a low grade Stainless Steel, Which will get some surface rust in spots. This is quite common on most vehicles. The only way to really fix it is to replace it with an expensive high grade Stainless Steel exhaust. I wouldn't worry about it though.
    My DoubleCab TRD Sport #2 is being delivered in a couple days. And I just read in that toyotaoffroad.com article that the DC TRD Sport comes with the auto-dimming mirror.

"Double Cabs with the TRD Sport Package also include an electrochromic auto-dimming rear-view mirror."

I didn't know that was included. I haven't read this anywere else. Can anybody confirm this?
    "pb2themax" - yep, you'll be getting the auto-diming mirror. Believe it or not, it actually works like it should...very handy for night-time driving.
    Great! I didn't see anything about an Auto Dimming mirror in the package options. But I'll be glad to take it!
  • banjomanbanjoman Member Posts: 15
    I have the auto dimming mirror on my 05 d-cab also. Came as standard feature with the TRD sport package. But I also have a Snugtop on the bed and the front and rear windows on the camper are tinted so the auto dim feature doesn't really function at least I have not been able to see it work like it does on my wife's Nissan Maxima. All the tint on the windows though really cuts the glare from headlights. Biggest problem with the camper is that you can't see where you are backing up so I installed a set of work/back-up lights on the roof rack.
  • sbsyncrosbsyncro Member Posts: 66
    Be careful about the "#" designations - it is safer to use the Toyota factory option codes. Here's the run down on the different TRD Sport Option Codes; all include the sport seats, 17" wheels, ect. The dfference is the towing package and the auto dimming mirror:

________TOWING___________AUTO DIM___
    ========PACKAGE===========MIRROR====
    #1 (PY)----------[No]-------------------[No]
    #2 (PT)----------[Yes]------------------[No]
    #3 (PM)----------[No]-------------------[Yes]
    #4 (PK)----------[Yes]------------------[Yes]

This is according my cross-referencing of information available from Intellichoice, CarDirect, Edmunds, and FightingChance

tough to get the columns to line up sine I can't force a proportional font... ;-)
  • volleyvolley Member Posts: 298
    Paldente,

I think 285s might be pushing it a little at stock height.

I would go with 265/75/16 that's almost an inch taller than the stock 265/70s
    nbtacoma,

Congrats on the new truck. Be sure to post a follow up and let us know how you like it.
    Mine came with a 7 to 4 converter. Don't know if it was suppose to be included or not.

As for the ball mount, I did NOT get one, but had one from my last truck so wan't a biggie.
  • tacomadavetacomadave Member Posts: 24
    Banjoman- can you tell me about your snugtop camper? Are you happy with it? If you don't mind how much did you pay. Thanks
  • jkmqjkmq Member Posts: 8
    I have the same truck and noticed I did not get the hitch insert when I took delivery .I told the salesman that should come with it and he got me one, no charge.I don't if they just threw it in to stop an argument but I did get one. Good luck.
  • rbzr2rbzr2 Member Posts: 1
    I have this type vibration on a 4x4 Access (non TRD). Mine is most noticeable between 30 and 20 on deceleration. Had it to the dealer 3 times and have yet to have them notice it. Also notice a slight shake just as I accelerate from a stop. Oddly the shake from a start goes away if in 4 wheel drive. Both seem to go away when I place a load in the bed. Such as a 600# atv.
    Hi, Bro. I've asked others what they don't like about the Dunlops and I'm wondering what you disliked about them. Someone mentioned that they followed grooves in the road, but I have not noticed that on my Prerunner Access Cab. What brand and type of tires did you get?

I don't believe the DeeZee tubes are really useful for getting into the truck. They do more to protect the truck from rock chips and just look good.
    Thanks for the reply, rbzr. The fact that it goes away with weight in the bed leads me to believe that your accel shake might be driveshaft related since the angle of the shaft changes as the bed is loaded. The driveshaft is what I'm suspecting is causing my vibration, but I'm not at all sure of that. We'll see.
  • jadamjrjadamjr Member Posts: 28
    Hey guys,

I just bought a silver 2005 Toyota TRD 4X4 Double Cab last November. I put a toytec 3" suspension lift on it. Just the other day I noticed bad paint chipping on the rear fenders just behind the rear doors. I also noticed chipping on the front edge of the rear doors. Is anyone else having problems with stone chips. The area on the bed in front of the rear wheels is real bad. It is already down to the metal.
    Hi walters, the factory Dunlop tires were for one thing too small for the truck and they have a wear rating of only "C" wich means about 35,000 miles or so. I went with BFG all terrains 265/70 and that is a much better tire. As far as how well the Dunlops handled I dont know because I took them off with only about 20 miles on them
    toytruck,

Is that a prerunner you have? Is Toyota going to repaint it for you?

volley
  • brodeyobrodeyo Member Posts: 26
    Thanks for all who have responded. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't faulty.
  • kencockencoc Member Posts: 1
    I just picked up my new Tacoma this weekend. Yesterday I was going looking it over and a person I know pointed out to me that it looks like and aluminum block. I looked around Toyota's website and it does not say, usually a cast iron block is painted, and normally the aluminum blocks are not. Does anyone know if it is aluminum, I am a little worried about the road salt getting to the block, it will look really bad after one or two trips on salt covered roads. I guess I can spray it with WD40 but that is something else I have to remember to do when I am cleaning the truck.
  • toytrucktoytruck Member Posts: 67
    >toytruck,

>Is that a prerunner you have? Is Toyota going to repaint it for you?

>volley<>

No, 4x4. I waiting to see the regional rep. sometime in the next couple of weeks. So far he had told the dealer no paint but I will see when he comes around. Not sure I want to take a chance on having them repaint.
  • ush00zush00z Member Posts: 30
    I've got a double cab shortbed, 2wd, 1100 miles and never got better than 16.5 MPG in suburb driving. I've tried both 87 and 91 octane gas but the results were always the same. I wonder what method you people use to come up with that 20+ MPG.
  • bjw1bjw1 Member Posts: 152
    I have the same truck, impulse red pearl, i have been using 91 and getting 18.75 mpg in the city, I think elevation might play a role in the mpg i am at about1800-2000 ft, i hope your mpg improves the avg mpg rating is 18-22.
  • blackmambablackmamba Member Posts: 31
    I have an 05 Double cab v6 auto sport. On the first 3 tanks, my mpg has been 20.4, 20.5 & 20.1. The way I check is to fill it up the same way every time and divide the miles into the gallons needed to fill the tank. I have a slight ticking from the right side of the engine, but I am not alarmed. No chips or anything else wrong. The driving is 80% city driving but I do not have a heave right foot. The elevation is 5500ft.