Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Tacoma 2005+

Comments

• Options
    tacofan4lifetacofan4life Member Posts: 33
    30K plus 3k TTL minus 5k down payment at 6% for 60 months(5 years) would be 541 a month. You figured something wrong. I used the MSN Auto's payment calculator to get that number.
    You can try it here

http://autos.msn.com/finance_insurance/finance.aspx?src=LeftNav
  • Options
    5553543255535432 Member Posts: 150
    I am in the market for a mid size pick-up and I believe the three are the better choices in terms of reliability. What is your take or opinions on which one is value for money among the three.

My wife currently drive a Honda Pilot 2003, it is not perfect but for a car in its first generation, Honda really did well. What I hate about Toyotas is that they offer the side and curtain airbags only on their top of the line models whereas Hondas offered safety (eg. pilot)on all trims. I hope it is the same though in their SUT. Frontiers I dont know much though except CR rank them 2nd to Tacoma in reliability.
    I'll be only doing some off roading and the heaviest load I'll be pulling is my 3500 lbs 5 seater Bayliner.
    I'll be trading in my Rav 4 2003, for the pickup I choose, love the Rav4 but I dont feel safe driving one without side airbags, apparently Toyota felt that side airbags are for people with money only and since 2 years ago I was poor as a mouse, charge me 16.5% APR (not because of bad credit but because of some-credit only). Toyota felt ain't worth keeping me as repeat customer.(Honda gave me 4.5% APR 8 months later on a Pilot, cant still figure it out?)Should have gotten a CRV 2003, I'm not sure though if the CRV's for 2003 got side airbags even as options, coz was sure Rav,s even top of the line aint got them for 2003.For 2004, only the outrageously priced top of the line unaffordable RAv 4's got the side airbags. Hope the less safe Rav 4's rot in delears lots.
    Anyways for all the crap I got from Toyota,I'm still open minded from your suggestions on those three midsize pickups.
  • Options
    hkingshkings Member Posts: 74
    Not to continue beating a dead horse Purestock, but your facts are wrong.

I just went to Nissanmotors.com and priced out a top of the line 2005 Frontier Crew Cab, Auto, with Nismo Off Road Package, 4x4, upgraded Stereo, floormats, sunroof and the total MSRP after destination is: $29,435.00

In comparision, I was given the MSRP from 3 Toyota dealers for a 2005 Tacoma Double Cab, Auto, TRD Off Road and Towing package, 4x4, upgraded stereo, floormats, and the total MSRP after destination is: $29,115.00

Doing the math, the NISSAN is over $300 more expensive, granted you get a Sunroof with it (Which is actually an option I wish the Tacoma had).

So, botttom line, I am failing to see this $7,000 - $8,000 difference in the top of the line Frontier you are comparing to the top of the line Tacoma for $29,115.

If you don't believe me, check it out yourself. Double check your facts next time before making a false claim like that Purestock.

In addition, I already have one dealer quoting $800 off of MSRP on the 05 Tacoma mentioned above and a few others telling me they will work with me. I have a feeling that if customers can play it cool and let dealers know they are shopping around, they can still get some deals right out of the gate.
  • Options
    purestockpurestock Member Posts: 17
    Geez, I didn't know I was comparing 2 specific models. The price Nissan is showing for an '05 Frontier KC, 4X4, V6, 6-spd with every option is under $23K. Having said that I notice that they advertise the KC as starting under $22K while at the same time they show the actual starting price between $17 and $18K. That is quite a ways under $22K. So maybe Nissan is the one thats got their facts screwed up. I don't believe anyone on here has offered official MSRP pricing for the '05 Taco models and options but from the numbers I've seen here $28-30K would seem to be ballpark for similar vehicles.

BTW, if I'm wrong on my pricing I'll be more than happy to admit without having to be flamed by someone with an obvious attitude.
  • Options
    mrjjgittesmrjjgittes Member Posts: 156
    Yeah, $540 a month for $28k financed. My mistake. That's even worse. My wife would kill me if I brought home a toyota pickup that cost us that much $ for the next five years. She'd say we could have leased an e-class mercedes or a 5 series bimmer for that. C'mon Toyota, mid-20's...!
  • Options
    Good Grief...

Where do I begin? First of all, I wasn't flaming you. I was pointing out that your post on the "comparible" Frontier vs Tacoma 05 pricing was not completely accurate. In itself, not a biggy, but you then say Toyota has alot of explaining to do, impying that their truck is signifigantly overpriced vs competition.

Second of all, while you mention the comparison not being apples to apples, you do say "similar configurations". Am I wrong, but why even make a comparison at all if you are not even somewhat close to apples and apples.

The $29K - $30K truck that most members are speaking of is a fully decked out TRD 4x4 Crew Cab Tacoma. It's one thing to not know the exact vehicle that was being talked about at 30K, but I find it funny that now after my post, (with speciifc comparisons and 'Offical MSRP' from Toyota dealers, yes I have them) comparing top of the line 05 Frontier and Tacomas you are still comparing a completely different 05 Frontier to the $30K Tacoma! Yikes.

Seriously, I'm not trying to flame you at all, I don't understand your comparisons. Unless I'm wrong you are comparing a King Cab Frontier with 4x4 and a manual loaded to a Crew Cab Tacoma, 4x4, Auto, with TRD Off Road and Towing fully loaded. If that is true, then you are not comparing "similar configurations"

If not true, please explain your comparison better. Again, Im not trying to flame you. My comaprison is based on this 30K figure that most are chatting about.

As I mentioned before in my earlier post, if you compare "similar configurations", a fully loaded 05 Frontier Crew Cab, Fully Loaded with the Off Road package has an MSRP higher by $300 than that of a smilarly configured 05 Tacoma MSRP. And again, I have comfirmed the MSRP with several dealers. If you have further questions about price, please let me know!

Thanks and apologies for thinking I was flaming you.
  • Options
    jcl1jcl1 Member Posts: 5
    It is a bit frustrating to see posts making claims that sound like undisputed facts and later find them to be completely false. I've seen that quite a bit on this forum. It would be nice if people would provide a bit of background on how they came to their conclusions (e.g. including the specs on the models they are discussing or comparing).

To be fair, there is also a lot of good info. being shared. Just have to pick and choose (and research).
  • Options
    Understood, I feel the same way. However I do have quotes, in writing via email, plus an actual Vehicle Inquiry MSRP report that was forwarded to me by one dealer. For those interested, feel free to email me at HKINGS32@hotmail.com and I am more than happy to send the info.
  • Options
    jamesfletcher2jamesfletcher2 Member Posts: 127
    solaryellow,

Are the dealers getting any word on the possibly of a GPS NAV system offering on in mid-MY05 or MY06? I am to the point where I do not even want to purchase any vehicle without factory NAV since I got spoiled by Lexus and Toyota.

It seem odd that it is not offered on the totally new MY05 Tacoma since Toyota and Lexus seems to be offering a factory NAV option when they introduce a totally re-engineered vehicle (since they have to redesign the dash anyway). The MY05 Tacoma appears to have room in the new center dash area for a touch-screen NAV.
  • Options
    jdvailcojdvailco Member Posts: 26
    In addition to a GPS NAV system, I am still very curious as to if/when a sun roof will be available. For me this is an option worth waiting for if it will be in 05 or 06.

Anybody heard any rumors?
  • Options
    And my apologies for overreacting. In my mind the Frontier vs. Tacoma is probably not a true apples to apples comparison. I've owned both, though the Nissan was a Hardbody and not a Frontier. I personally consider the Tacoma to be superior in quality and reliability.

I'm also not confident that Nissan is showing the correct base price for a KC SE V6 4X4. That price is down around $20K. There is not any official MSRP info on either, nor have I seen any detailed info on Std. equip. My comparison was probably premature aloong with my price analysis. Come 10/11 when the pricing is released we'll all have a better idea of how things stack up. I really hope you are correct. If a V6 4X4 6 spd. TRD Access Cab MSRP's for $26-$27K I'll be one happy camper. Best to you.
  • Options
    No problem Purestock, I hope that I am wrong and that I am being over quoted myself. Maybe the dealers are somehow sticking an extra markup on those MSRPs.

As far as NAV and Sunroof goes, I really wish those were options too. As far as NAV goes, I can add one via aftermarket so that is not a huge issue to me.

However, the sunroof is another story. I'd love to be able to wait for the model to be available with a sunroof, however I need to buy fairly shortly since I am without a car right now.

Is an aftermarket soonroof out of the question? Is it possible to make a request to the factory do get one pre-made with?

Havent pre-ordered a Toyota before, so all info is welcome and appreciated.
  • Options
    iwantataco2iwantataco2 Member Posts: 2
    This may be a re-post, but in case anyone is interested, here are some base msrps i got from a buddy who works at a toyota dealer:

4x2 reg cab manual $13500
    4x2 reg cab manual (prerunner) $14300
    4x2 reg cab auto $14400
    4x2 access cab manual $16900
    4x2 access cab manual (prerunner) $17700
    4x4 reg cab manual $17400
    4x2 access cab auto $17800
    4x2 access cab v6 6spd manual (prerunner)$19100
    4x2 access cab v6 auto (prerunner) $20000
    4x4 access cab manual $20700
    4x2 d-cab v6 auto short bed (prerunner) $21700
    4x2 d-cab v6 auto long bed (prerunner) $22200
    4x4 access cab v6 6spd manual $22300
    4x2 x-runner v6 6spd manual $23100
    4x4 access cab auto $23200
    4x4 d-cab v6 6spdm manual $23900
    4x4 d-cab v6 auto short bed $24800
    4x4 d-cab v6 auto long bed $25300

I transposed these numbers from the sheet he printed out for me, so forgive me for any mistakes there might be..
  • Options
    playswithmudplayswithmud Member Posts: 36
    Let me apologize briefly, was I dont mention the tacoma in the entire post. Hm- 16% on a car loan- thats crazy. I got 5.9 from toyota financial in early 03 with shoddy credit. Anyhow... why dont you just use the wife's Pilot to pull the boat? should be just fine. As for "Less Safe" certainly they are not as safe in certain conditions. But if crash safety for you and your family is what you're after, get yourself a fullsize. Bigger truck=more metal&more crumple zone. I'd rather be above the accident than in it (anyone feel free to argue that one with me). If I had my choice, my new vehicles wouldnt have airbags at all, but rather 5 pot belts. Unfortunately, the Ralph Naders out there dont beleive I should have hat choice. Also, be sure to take the the Pilot to a safe kids inspection if you have the opportunity- you'd be surprised what you can learn. But if I had to recomend one vehicle out of these 3 for YOU, I would suggest the Honda SUT, as long as they offer it with some kind of stability controll(ESP, VSC, VSP, or whatever they want to call it)I beleive Continental's slogan applies here "Safety is a standard, not an option". This is potentially the biggest advancement since ABS to keep any airbags your vehicle may or may not have from being called upon in the first place. Happy and safe motoring to you.
  • Options
    spleckspleck Member Posts: 114
    Can someone post what the average price is for the TRD packages? Is it the same independent of model?

Most of the configurations have fixed price differences:
    Long bed $500
    Auto is $900
    V6 is $2200
    Access Cab is $3400
    Double Cab is $1700 + Access Cab
    PreRunner is $800
    4x4 is $2900 ($2200 > PreRunner if no regular model)

(This was done quickly, so forgive me for errors.)
  • Options
    I just saw a post about a 4x2 Double Cab (V6 Auto Short Bed). Base Price is $21675 ($18995 inv). TRD Offroad Package is $3045 ($2445 inv) (No tow package?). Floor Mats are $130 ($80 inv). Destination is $565. Total is $25415.

Not sure what TDA ($285) is. Don't think it affected price. Holdback and Reserve total 3% of base.
  • Options
    In addition, I received a dealer inventory report as well from a dealer that confirms the following:

V6 D-Cab Auto 4 x 4 SB = $24750
    V6 D-Cab Auto PreRu SB = $21675
    TRD Off Road = $3045
    TRD Off Road & Tow Package = $3695
    TRD Sport Package = $3220
    Floormats = $130
    Destination = $540

I think that most of the above is fairly accurate, with the only exception being the Destination charge. I've been quoted both $540 and $565. If all goes well I dont plan on paying that at all. Bogus charge anyways, in my own opinion.
  • Options
    Are there any new Tacoma colors for '05? Are the TRD packages color specific? If so, which colors are available?

Thanks!
  • Options
    eldenslackeldenslack Member Posts: 10
    Just got a 2005 toyota trucks brochure from a dealer and here is the color info:

Super White
    Silver Streak Mica
    Desert Sand Mica
    Radiant Red (on X-runner, pre-runner, 4x4 only)
    Impulse Red Pearl(darker red than radiant)
    Speedway Blue (on X-runner, TRD Sport, TRD Offroad only)
    Indigo Ink Pearl (dark blue)
    Black Sand Pearl

That's all the colors.
  • Options
    Eldenslack -

With regards to the color:

Speedway Blue (on X-runner, TRD Sport, TRD Offroad only)

Does it say anything about being limited to the 4x4 TRD Off-Road only, or is it available on PreRunner 4x2 TRD Off-Road as well?

Thanks!
  • Options
    triumph75triumph75 Member Posts: 14
    Anyone seen the 05 tacoma in Atlanta? Or if not, anyone know when they are coming in? Additionally I'm trying to figure out if the double-cab is available in 4x2. A previous listing of models in someone's post made it sound like it was only available in the pre-runner package.
  • Options
    Anyone know if the Tacoma will truly require premium gas? I say truly b/c I think it's often said vehicles require premium and then the techs at dealerships will tell you otherwise. Does the 4Runner v-6 require premium/ b/c it's the same engine I think?...
  • Options
    eldenslackeldenslack Member Posts: 10
    No indication one way or the other on whether Speedway Blue requires 4x4 on TRD Sport/Offroad. Here is the exact quote from the page:

Speedway Blue -- Available with X-Runner, TRD Sport and TRD Off-Road Package

Since it is possible to get TRD Sport/Off-Road in 4x2, I assume Speedway Blue would be available.
  • Options
    opentacoopentaco Member Posts: 4
    Here's the email quote I just got (in Pittsburgh):

Below is an inquiry report for a 2005 tacoma Dcab with TRD sport.

MECHANICAL & PERFORMANCE
    245HP 4.0L V6 DOHC 24V Engine w/VVT-i
    5-Speed ECT-i Automatic Transmission
    4WDemand 4x4 System w/Electronically
    Controlled 2 Speed Transfer Case
    Coil Over Shock Double A-Arm Fr Susp
    Multi-Leaf Rr Suspension w/Staggered
    Outboard Mounted Shocks
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Pwr Assisted Rack and Pinion Steering
    Pwr Assisted Fr Disc/Rr Drum Brakes
    16" Styld Steel Whls w/P245/75R16 Tires
    SAFETY
    4 Wheel ABS w/Electronic Brake Force
    Distribution (EBD) & Brake Assist (BA)
    Dr & Fr Pass Dual Stage Airbags
    w/Occupant Classification System
    Dr & Fr Pass 3pt Seatbelts
    w/Pretensioners & Force Limiters
    Rr 3pt Seatbelts
    CRS Lower (ISOFIX) & Top Tether Anchors
    Side Door Impact Beams
    EXTERIOR
    SMC Composite Long Bed Inner w/Steel
    Panels,Rail Caps & Removable Tailgate
    Deck Rail System w/4 Adj Tie-Down Cleats
    Black Grille,Bumpers,Overfenders,
    Handles & Outside Mirrors
    Argent Grille Surround
    COMFORT AND CONVENIENCE
    Cloth Bucket Seats w/Pass-Side
    Fold-Flat,Dr-Side Lumbar,Adj Headrests &
    SR5 Fabric Trim
    60/40 Split Rr Bench w/Adj Headrests,
    Underseat & Rr Bulkhead Storage
    Air Conditioner
    Pwr Windows/Door Locks/Mirrors
    AM/FM/CD w/6 Speakers
    Tilt/Telescoping Steering Wheel
    Engine Immobilizer
    Cig Lighter+Aux Power Point
    3 Ctr/2 Rr Console Cup Holders
    LED-Illuminated Gauges

50 State Emissions .........................
    AM/FM/CD W/6 Disc Chngr & 6 Spkrs .........
    w/Steering Wheel audio Controls ...........
    TRD Sport Pkg #2 w/Tow Hitch Includes: ....
    Sport Susp w/Bilstein Shocks,17" Alloy ....
    Wheels w/P265/65R17 Tires, .................
    Limited Slip Diff,115V/400W Deck Mtd .......
    Power Point,Foglamps,Class 4 Hitch, ........
    Trans & Supplemental Oil Coolers,Hvy Duty .
    Battery,130A Alt,7 Pin Conn w/Conv, ........
    Remote Keyless Entry,Cruise Control, .......
    Variable Int Wipers,Multifunction O/H ......
    Console w/Compass & Temp Gauge, ...........
    Auto Dimming Inside Mirror,Color-Keyed ....
    Grille Surround/Bumpers/Mirrors/Door ......
    Handles/Overfenders,Sliding Rr Window ......
    w/Privacy Glass,Sport Seats w/Drvr ........
    Lumbar Support & Sport Fabric Trim, .......
    Metallic Tone Instr Panel Trim,Leather .....
    Strng Wheel/Shifter, Sunvisors w/Mirrors ...
    & Extenders ...............................
    Preferred Accessory Package ...............
    Preferred Owner''s Portfolio ...............

MSRP $ 30,277.00
    Disc $- 1,000.00

TOTAL $ 29,277.00 Plus tax and plate.

Truck not yet in stock, is on order will take 2 to 3 weeks to get you one.

$30k...ouch. Maybe wait 'till the hype dies down...
  • Options
    jbonejbone Member Posts: 35
    This link from toyota pressroom answers your question - 91 octane is RECOMMENDED for the new V6 but NOT required - usually to obtain the better gas mileage and eliminate any knocking...
    http://pressroom.toyota.com/presstxt/2005toyotakit/2005_Tacoma_s.- pdf
  • Options
    cav3cav3 Member Posts: 14
    Does anyone know if there is a price difference between the short bed and long bed for the v6 DC 4x4?

What does a "Tow Package" include? There is a $650 difference between the Off Road package and Off Road package w/Tow package. Should I just have someone add a after market hitch or am I missing something? (Suspension, etc.)

Note: Forgive me, but I've have very little knowledge about this subject?
  • Options
    The Price difference between the Short & Long bed is about $500.00

The Tow Package offers:

130 Amp Alternator
    Heavy Duty Battery
    Supplemental Transmission Oil Cooler
    Class IV Tow Hitch
    7-Pin Connector with Converter
  • Options
    iwantataco2iwantataco2 Member Posts: 2
    The option prices vary depending on which model you are adding it to..

as far as trd this is what i have:

Option code "OG" is TRD offroad with towing package.

OG is $4400 for 4x4 and Prerunner Access Cabs
    OG is $3700 for 4x4 and Prerunner Double Cab Short Beds

Option code "PT" is TRD Sport w/ towing package

PT is $4600 for 4x4 and Prerunner Access Cabs
    PT is $3900 for 4x4 and Prerunner Double Cab Short Beds

As far as i can tell there is no "OG or PT" for Double Cab Long Beds, at least not on these sheets. The most expensive packages I see for double cab long beds is "PK" which is TRD Sport #2 w/Towing package.

PK is $4000 for Long Bed D-Cab 4x4s and Prerunners.
  • Options
    johnny76johnny76 Member Posts: 1
    does anyone know when the 2005 tacoma is scheduled to arrive in the south eastern part of the US. Ive been waiting to see a new tacoma in person.
  • Options
    cav3cav3 Member Posts: 14
    Dealer in Atlanta told me two weeks ago late October.

I saw the 2005 Taco featured today on a TV show called I think "Motor Trend" (Show is every Sat morning @9:00am or 9:30am). They said the MSRP range for the new truck is from $17,000 to $24,000. Unfortunately, nothing more specific such as price with packages, etc.. I thought Toyota would have published the prices before that show.
  • Options
    rickinatlrickinatl Member Posts: 1
    I went to the dealer on Oct. 7. I went to the Cobb County Toyota dealer. They had no information, no answers to any questions about pricing, nor did they have a brochure. However, they did have a arrival date. He said the dealers were going down to Fla to test drive and get information about the trucks on Oct 19 and the trucks would be in the dealership on the 21.
    Also, if anyone has details on pricing and package options for the X-Runner they have received from a dealer or another trustworthy source, I would love to get that information.
    Thanks in advance,
    Rick in ATL
  • Options
    mybud6mybud6 Member Posts: 2
    hey arizona dealers, have got their list of incoming trucks, i called the new car manager on oct 8, he told me to come in, i went to camelback toyota in phoenix. he gave me a list of trucks with delivery dates, almost 80% will be double cabs, he has a 4x4 double cab trd dark indiglo blue 30,000.00 msrp, i put a 500.00 dollar hold on a silver access cab, 4x4 trd with a 6 spd manual, fully loaded everything, 28,444 msrp. no deals only 259 doc fee and 2200 tax i'm almost 33000 out the door . it ships on october 8 from fremont california. should come in sometime this week. i'm getting the first tacoma in arizona, all the double cabs don't ship till oct 25. 2004. they will hold any model they have coming in for 500.00 i'll have pictures this week of my delivery.. if you like some pictures you can email me at mybud6@yahoo.com... i'll be their when the truck hits the lot.
  • Options
    88toylc88toylc Member Posts: 53
    Congratulations! Sounds like you've got a great truck. I live in Prescott and will give my local dealer a shout to see when he expects something to hit his lot.

I just sold my 1988 Land Cruiser today -- it was on the market for less than a day (autotrader.com) -- in anticipation of buying a new Tacoma when they arrive. Sold it for over 1/3 the price I paid for it nearly seventeen years ago, and I suppose I could have gotten more for it if I had asked more. I hope my new Tacoma has the same longevity and retains its value as well.
  • Options
    severesevere Member Posts: 10
    The prices I'm hearing are painful! I was hoping to get a new DC 4x4 for about $25k, but everything seems to be pointing to the fact that simply isn't going to happen. I really want one of these trucks but there's no way I can see dropping $33K much less $28K on a "mid-size" truck!

I sure hope Toyota will offer some incentives with these things soon!
  • Options
    mybud6mybud6 Member Posts: 2
    i hear ya some quotes the dealer gave me were, 23,000 on a 4x2 double cab, 25000 with trd, v-6. i saw a couple posts on other sites but they were only quoting base prices. toyota is only making double cabs and access cabs fully loaded first because that will get their best models out on the town, all the models he had were fully loaded double cabs in prerunner and 4x4 trim. with shipping dates for the next 2 months, they only get what comes in they weren't able to order a specific truck yet. but i wouln't expect anything under invoice till the end of the year at the earliest....i wanted a double cab but not at 30000, i'm single i don't need the room that bad, i can get away with the access cab ....
  • Options
    When buying any vehicle, but especially a toyota, keep in mind your cost of ownership. The big variable here is resale value. Counter to what the "authorities" (NADA, KBB, CR) will tell you, manual trans trucks sell very quickly. But the $4k opt packs cost you alot in the resale because you dont recover anything for uplevel radios and the like.

As for the tow pack being worth the money, stricktly based on the trans cooler its worthwhile on the auto trucks. The 6spd trucks COULD do w/o- the alternator is plenty big, many trucks will have the bigger battery w/ the cold pack and the actual hitch components will set you back about $150 from your local autoparts store. Of course, all this is a little academic at this time since you wont be able to buy anything but a loaded truck for a while yet.
  • Options
    stephen1stephen1 Member Posts: 27
    I am a toyota owner (current and previously)and I keep up with what they offer - pricing, models, etc.
    It just so happens that I've been in the market for a new mid size truck since May. I decided to wait until the '05 arrive (for obvious reasons). '04s on the lot had been (and still are) 27k MSRP or less (crew cab 4x4 TRD auto). If the '05s will be 30k, that will be a crying shame. That price range opens up many other opportunities and many buyers will look elsewhere.
    You do have to be aware of these port installed option packages that toyota likes to include (pin stripes, paint protectant, undercoating, etc.) These can raise the price and you're not really comparing apples to apples.
    If these prices hold true, I'm really going to have a hard time convincing the wife that this is the truck for me (I mean us).
  • Options
    demoncleanerdemoncleaner Member Posts: 82
    Looks like the Automatic is more efficent than the manual... at least in the v-6, go figure. The 4wd v6 manual is now down to 16/20. (same as my 4.0 v-6 99' 4wd Ranger). Automatic was 17/21. For 2wd, manual 16/21, auto 18/22.
     I had high hopes a month ago when I saw the first Tundra w/ the same v6 mpg numbers of 19/25 (2wd). Was expecting 18/23or 24 in a 4wd Tacoma.
     I did see Car and driver drove the 2005 Tacoma (manual) and averaged 18, which isnt bad. When they test vehicles (ie. heavy foot), they are always well below the city EPA rating...
  • Options
    callmedrfillcallmedrfill Member Posts: 729
    I'm not hearing enough belly-aching on this board about pricing! You guys are way too happy with Toyota for making the best truck in the class.

If you don't want the best, go buy a Colorado 5-cylinder $20k (after rebate to move it)! GM sales are down 30%, so I'm sure the dealer would love to GIVE you one.

Or take the valuable Dakota (also will easily sell for MORE than $30k)? Or the ancient Ranger? Or the popular Frontier?

'Yota has increased power, room, towing, safety, and features. It has become a midsize! Even gave you a Super Sport model! You want compact truck pricing too?

You only get a discount on a new model if it has legit COMPETITION. If buying the best midsized truck isn't enough for you, PLEASE, save a buck and get a Ranger.

Play around the "compeition's" forums while your at it.

DrFill
  • Options
    opentacoopentaco Member Posts: 4
    you gotta define "legit" competition. Technically, there's the 05 Dakota (now even bigger than the other new mid-sizers) and the 05 Frontier, which grows in size and hp significantly.

No argument that the Toy has the market on historical quality.

The top end prices, though, do infringe on low-end Tundra's and mid-to-high end Sierra's and F150's (for me, at least, being in a GM/Ford Supplier Discount program).

So like someone previous said, the price range does open up options.

I know "you get what you pay for" tends to be the case, but the upfront marketing leaks lead us to believe lower prices. I can't how many times I've seen ranges that cap at $27k as the high end model. But the word from the dealer comes back at $30k. Toy mentioned that these trucks would come in around the same price as 04's - it was their marketing strategy (which does seem implausible)
  • Options
    fastrfastr Member Posts: 2
    Will the towing package be available without getting one of the "silly" TRD packages? I will want to get a basic double-cab 4X2 automatic. I have no need or want for anything fancy. I understand that dealers will try to foist "loaded" models at first. I have infinite patience to out-wait the idiots.
  • Options
    in a word- yes. Take a look at pressroom.toyota.com look under toyota>tacoma>options. it lists the combinations actually planned. If you get a longbox, the only "silly" pieces you have to buy are foglamps, lsd and a slider window. All D-cabs will have the SR5 pack. All stuff I could live with.
    there are a few things I cant have in mine though- no rubber floor option really buggs me
  • Options
    seskewseskew Member Posts: 1
    Im just wondering where you guys are getting the pricing information. I have seen estimates that are much lower than what Im reading here, I hope its not as high as everyone is saying. =(

Heres a link http://www.tundrasolutions.com/photopost/showgallery.php/cat/6136
  • Options
    fastrfastr Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info. I will actually want a short bed. As long as I can get towing without a TRD package, I can live with it. I too would like a rubber floor, but, oh well. Toyota looks like it's making a good truck. We will just have to live with the fact that they are "cratering" in to the city driving yuppie crowd.
  • Options
    There are no pics of any of the 35 '05 tacos at Carson (the link listed above) so it seems they are in the same boat as everyone else - presales. Disappointing b/c that means if they're not in California, then they won't be in the SouthEast for a while!!
  • Options
    Don't bet on that extra 20 HP. Nissan is well known for either over-rating their engines, or losing a lot of power in the tranny. Toyota/Honda engines usually outperform Nissan's when within 15-20 HP.
  • Options
    greeneggsnhamgreeneggsnham Member Posts: 9
    Yeah, that's probably why Toyota is comparing the Tacoma X-Runner to the Nissan 350Z - because Nissan engines are over-rated.
  • Options
    sigsauersigsauer Member Posts: 35
    after owning multiple domestic brand cars and trucks w/ average to good experiences, this will be my first ever import brand vehicle. (damn chevy for messing up their newest small truck!). so nissan or toyota doesn't matter to me as long as i get the most bang for my bucks.

any backup info on nissan over-rating their engines and toyota/honda engines outperform nissan's? i talked to a few mechanics and they all said toyota engines are more reliable but usually slower/under-powered when compared to nissan engines. a bodyshop guy even said toyota trucks are generally lighter/softer compare to nissan's solid structure.

as for x-runner being compared to 350z - snippet from official toyota press:

"During extensive testing, the X-Runner's road-holding ability was measured by an electronic accelerometer in excess of 0.9 g's of lateral acceleration. That's not only significantly better than any truck on the market, it repeatedly performed better than many sports cars, including the new Nissan 350-Z."

i interpreted this as x-runner's roading-holding ability is better than 350z and not overall performance.

definitely i'll wait for the frontier to come out before making my decision on either one.
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    A new double cab. Took me by complete surprise.

Bob
  • Options
    88toylc88toylc Member Posts: 53
    You say you saw a double cab on the road today -- where are you located?