Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma 2005+

Comments

• iamremoiamremo Member Posts: 1
    Hi

I would like to purchase a new Tacoma in the USA and would like to know if the Canadian dealers will coverthe warranty???? Has anyone done this? I get mixed responses from Toyota. The colors and option packages in the USA are better for my tastes.

Thanks Dale
  • cactusonecactusone Member Posts: 8
    Eagleg

Can you be more specific on what you did to fix the problem? The dealership is no help they say its a design issue.

thanks
  • truxntruxn Member Posts: 6
    I'm still debating on which tonneau cover to get. I'm leaning towards the Access Lorado or LE but the Fold-A-Ccover has caught my attention.

Do you get water in the bed and can you remove it in a pinch in case you need the entire bed? :confuse:
  • len888len888 Member Posts: 112
    I don't have personal pics but you can see the same result if you go to WWW.FOLD-A-COVER.COM

Their kit comes with special wipes in foil packet which both cleans and leave a bonding agent on both sides of the bed's rail surfaces onto which you place 6ft rails from the kit. The kit mounting rails have a peel strip the entire 6ft length. The bond strong and permanent like seen on the tiles on NASA Shuttles. Assembly instructions are excellent and easy to follow. Before working with the adhesive strips, Take the time to lay out the kit onto the truck bed. masking tape mark your rail locations. Next, take down the test-fit location setup and cleanse wipe to prep the fold-a-cover contact surfaces. Then remove the adhesive strips from the kit rails (first 4 inches only) to start laying the fold-a-cover mounting rails.

As for brackets. yes there are 4 which capture the cover to the original Tacoma bed rails at opposite ends. No drilling required. Take your time, especially when doing the initial test setup and mark key locator points with masking tape. For increased locator precision I used a point tip black marker to make match-lines on Painter blue removable masking tape. Alignment is key to a weather tight and easy to operate cover. I say weather tight because mine is water tight in car wash and driving rain. kLet's hear how you make out.
    It is removable by unbolting the 2 front brackets which capture the cover to the original bed side rails. install/uninstall would be a hastle. If you have a long bed such as the Access Cab, the cover would fold forward toward the cab.
    Full use of the box is always available for lumber, and sheetrock, fishing gear etc.
    I have the '05 Access Cab and get wind noise from the drivers side rear door gasket at the top of the door. Noisy on windy days only.

I 'saw' the Vortex your dealer speaks of behind the rear window one windy day. Like a mini tornado inside the truck bed directly behind the cab. I think a small spoiler on top of the cab would fix alot of the wind issues being reported on the web site.
  • eaglegeagleg Member Posts: 87
    I haven't been able to fix it,only identify it by fixing the seal to the door with black duct tape.It's not a permanent fix, but it stopped the noise.I'm going to try to reinforce the leading edge of the seal using aftermarket weather stripping we use at work.The 2006's have the same seal so I'm sure we won't be the only ones complaining about this.At least your dealership acknowledged the problem as a design issue,mine acted like it was the first they had heard of this issue and told me that any seal would be compromised at such high speeds.What a joke!Why are service advisors like that?
  • jackhammerjackhammer Member Posts: 92
    Has anyone had to replace their front mud flaps ? I was wondering if there is aftermarket out there vs. buying from the dealer.
  • vincewood30vincewood30 Member Posts: 48
    I forwarded this message to my service advisor at my dealer. He said it was 1 of the best well written posts he's ever seen on this thing. I'm taking my truck back this afternoon so they can drive it again and try to remedy the problem with it. I told them that if something snaps that I don't want to hear a word from them about how it broke. I have everything little thing documented. They just want to try and get to the bottom of this, afterall it only makes the 7th vehicle I'm bought from this dealership.
    Thanks
  • fisherman2fisherman2 Member Posts: 20
    I installed a Access Ltd Edition on my 06 DoubleCab Prerunner Taco this week.The install wasn't too difficult,just take your time removing and installing bolts.The LE let's you still make use of your bedrail system.I purchased it from TruckAlterations.com for 355 delivered.
  • aztechianaztechian Member Posts: 31
    ...The bond strong and permanent like seen on the tiles on NASA Shuttles....

Might want to be careful, I think there's a TSB out on that. Something about adhesive fails causing loss of tiles on reentry...
    ;) :surprise:

sorry, couldn't resist.
  • nsxwesnsxwes Member Posts: 84
    I have a 2006 Tacoma Doublecab and I have been fighting wind noise coming in the front drivers door/window area - close to the outside mirror. With a lot of experimentation (and black electrical tape), while I am frustrated at not being able to find the specific culprit, I have been able to reduce the wind noise to almost zero. I have literally taped the base of the door seal to the body all around the door. Has anyone noticed how the door seal is not glued to held down firmly to the body? I have a 2006 Highlander and its door seal is installed much differently. I have not talked to the dealer yet since I wanted to have as much information possible before even discussing it with them as the usual response tends to be either "its normal" or "that is much better than most, you should be happy".
    Did you decide on a Fold-A-Cover or other brand? Tuning in to WWW.FOLD-A-COVER is a worthwhile step.
  • sunonussunonus Member Posts: 2
    Hey there, any one the maximum water depth I can take my 2006 tacoma in before it dies? I have been doing some fairly extreme off road driving with larger water crossings and mud pits. I dont have a snorkle system set up, its all just stock with bigger tires right now.
    No not yet, still researching.
    For those of you who have the Undercover Tonneau for a Tacoma 05/06, can you use the cleat rail system when the cover is on?
    Tx
  • troutdoorsmantroutdoorsman Member Posts: 17
    i looked into new mudflaps (front two on my truck cracked when going over a snowbank)- dealer quoted me $84 EACH! for the front two. I tried my best to find aftermarket, but was unsuccessful. I ended up just drilling some holes and rigging some wires to hold them and keep from cracking all the way through.
  • glen_hglen_h Member Posts: 11
    Hi:

You cannot use the cleats with the Undercover tonneau. There is molded support framework on the bottom close to the rails, so there is no room.

The good news is that the Undercover tonneau is strong, water tight and it's real easy to remove. Also, the mounting rails use the bed rail system and leave most of it available for the cleats once the cover is removed.

I installed mine last October on my 05 Double Cab Pre-Runner Long Bed and have not had a problem with it.

Cheers,

Glen
  • cncmfgcncmfg Member Posts: 11
    wow, $168, take them off...

Maybe move the rear to the front if possible.
    This trick works well for me sometimes..
    find the guy who sold you the car, and see if he will let you use his " employee discount " might save you 20%

but ya. $168. i would shop every dealership with a online parts dept, and see who offers the best price. bring a price quote from the best couple, and go to their parts dept, and inform them why their loosing sales.
  • cactusonecactusone Member Posts: 8
    Which seals are you taping the one on the door frame(on the door), the one on the body? My noise can be reduced by pressing on the inside of the door right above the door latch. There seems to be a gap between the window and the inside window seal/gasket. Any other suggestion on noise reduction is greatly appreciated.
  • dropzonedropzone Member Posts: 2
    Toyota says 27", but take into account that you are going to have to extend your differential breathers etc. Define extreme? I am on my fourth Toyota truck, new one in an '05 Taco d-cab 4x4. I have not yet had the chance to take apart one of the front hubs yet to see how well they are sealed, but from past experience I know that you are gonna learn how to repack your hubs and wheel bearings. Water crossings mean increased maintenance. These trucks are great as long as you take care of them. Don't get pissed off when a bearing fails because you when deep and did not take care of it afterwards. Snorkels are great but they only provide air, they don't waterproof the ECU, turn off the electric fan or waterproof any thing else. It takes a lot of silicon and work. make sure you do it right or hope your insurance covers you!!
  • dropzonedropzone Member Posts: 2
    This is my fourth Toyota(05 Taco D-cab)first one was an 86 4Runner, than 84 Truck and 97 Tacoma) all 4x4. My new one seems like anytime a rock gets within a few feet of it the paint chips! Had the truck 6 months and in some spots it looks like it has been hit with bird shot. Dealer says I have abused it. Been down a few gravel roads, it is a Toyota 4x4 and it gonna be used like it is supposed to be. Anyone else had any similar problems?? Seems like the paint quality has gone down hill and the dealer knows there is a problem but doesn't want to take the time or $$$ to fix it right.
  • v6tacov6taco Member Posts: 5
    Hey would you be able to re-send me the information about getting the platinum warranty. I cannot find the email. I think i accidentally erased it. I would appreciate it. My email address is will3323@yahoo.com.Thanks bro!!
    I've narrowed down between two - the Access LE or the Fold-A-Cover.

I have few questions:
    1. I know that if you want to get in you can, but my question is how secure do you think the lock is on the fold-a-cover or do you think you could easily pry the cover off?
    2. I know the Access could easily be cut but my impression it may be more waterproof, is that true?
    3. What I don't understand is why fold-a-cover only has a 1 yr warranty but Access LE is a limited lifetime warranty. I can't help but think in a few years the fold-a-cover will start fading or even leak more. :confuse:
    I can only comment on what I know about my Fold-A-Cover.

1. Security: Very secure unless some culprit destroys it with a crowbar which wouldn't be fit for his use anyway.

2. Waterproof: Mine is truly waterproof although it's not sold with that warranty probably because installations are not all equal. The trick is to follow FoldA-Cover instructions and test fit the system, mark locator marks with masking tape, and then and only then do the final/permanent installation.

3. Warranty: The Fold-A-Cover material and workwanship is top shelf. All aluminum panels with rigid foam core, full length piano hinges, Stainless and aircraft aluminum hardware and space age engineered resin fitments and gaskets. I particularly like its 800# load bearing rating and certainly the sleek look. Its a real head turner. Guys have often stopped in fron of my house and walked over to the truck just to admire the Fold-A-Cover. Of course I am proud of it especially since I installed it. The warranty is as lasting as is the materials used, together with proper installation. As for the term CONDITIONAL LIFETIME WARRANTY for the Access, what exactly does that exclude?
    I commented on paint before on this website. Toyota trucks are painted in California where paint is all lead free. The lead free grade of automotive paint chips easily. To protect my 4WD Access Cab (bright red)I have port installed Tacoma running boards. They prevent gravel splashing at the entire length of the rocker panels and lower door panels. The Taco 4WD mudflaps front and rear are excellent splash guards too. What I have experienced in some stone chipping came from 18 wheelers throwing stones with ricocheting off the road surface (that is a force/speed multiplier). I'm sure the full face chrome grill has helped alot in averting paint chips on the nose of the truck.
  • ianoiano Member Posts: 2
    I've started getting what ends up being a find grey powder on my passenger rear fender.

This is after 2 tanks of gas. If I wipe it off with my finger it's not greasy and seems to leave no residue on the paint. I just started noticing this after my last (first one so far) oil change. I've got a multi-franchise dealer and they used "Goodwrench" oil according to the invoice.

I can't pin it down to the oil change exactly because I live in Maine and the salt and road grime could have been masking the problem beforehand. I got the truck Double Cab, 6' bed in July 2005 and did not see anything all summer.

It's been cold lately and just after stopping the fender is wet but again, not greasy. It really seems to be condensation with fine carbon particles.

I can't see that it's using any oil and my mileage has stayed the same 19 - 21 mpg.

Anybody had a similar experience or advice on whether I'm doing any damage by waiting until my next oil change to ask the dealer about it?

Thanks!
    Ian
    You have been so helpful!

If you lived in my region, I'd sure come by and look at it also.

I have few more questions:
    - Since it has aluminum panels, is it fairly light to open and close them?
    - Do you have any problems with the panels scratching from opening or closing?
    - Does the frame scratch, just from everyday use?
    - Do you have trouble with the locks freezing esp with ice storms? I know they have caps, they don't rip off do they?
    - Lastly, do you know if the 5 ft bed cover can be opened near the cab?

Do you have any pictures posted of your vehicle?
    Thanks again!
    I have the 4-panel for my 6' bed which came UPS in 2 pkgs.
    1) PANEL WEIGHT:All 4 panels weigh 60pounds as per the UPS label for that carton. The other pkg is a long heavy duty mailer tube which weighs 15 pounds with two 6ft rails, gaskets and hardware. Each panel lifts easily but is not wimpy.
    2) SCRATCHING PROPENSITY: none. The panels are not smooth glossy, rather embossed wrinkle satin finish.
    3)FRAME SCRATCH PROPENSITY: not possible by enginering design.
    4)LOCK FREEZING: I had no ploblem this winter and the flexible rubber caps form a water tight seal over the recessed key locks.
    5) I don't have experience with a 5ft bed setup. No I don't have photos for posting only because I don't know how to attach them to this message board. No big deal to just contact Fold-A-Cover's Customer Service Group 1(800)322-0522 Ask for Ms.Stacey. She can also give you the name of your nearest distributor or dealer.
    6) OTHER: Individual replacement parts are available direct.
  • mercrocksmercrocks Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem. 14000 k and both rear fender flairs are almost bare of paint, also nice size chips along the sills. That said, dealer did acknowledge a problem, and will repaint "once". Tried to blame it on driving on a gravel road, but actually was highway miles on a sanded road, hate to see what looks like after a few trips on a gravel road :. Also said that runninng boards would solve the problem. I'm going to fight for them to supply HAH.... Wish would have told me that when new as I waited 6 weeks for nerf bars, and they have cut down on the wear. It's obivious that their is a design problem judging by the length of the front mudflaps. I guess wait and see
    I have taped mostly the seal to the door but have areas on the body side as well. It is extremely elusive and hard to pin down. One strange thing has really got me scratching my head is that when it is raining, the wind noise is completely gone. Must have something to do with the moisture affecting the door seals. Wes
  • eaglegeagleg Member Posts: 87
    I made rock guards for the stock oval tube steps on my 05 D/C L/B Crew Cab 4X4 and they saved the majority of the paint on the bottom of my truck.I too wish I had installed them from day one.Better late than never.Photos on my carspace.
  • asac1asac1 Member Posts: 30
    Hi

I was wondering if someone who has installed the fog lights in an '05 Tacoma can tell me which one of the three blanks on the dash to pull out for the fog light switch. I understand that the wire is already behind the blanks. Are there any instructions on the internet for installing these lights?

Thanks

asac1
  • bowen1bowen1 Member Posts: 12
    The factory switch location is on the far right.
    Thanks for the info. Can you tell me how the plugs come out of the dash? Should I stick a pen knife in the sides or bottom of the plug and are there tabs that may break off?
    I just thought to look at my owners manual. It shows the factory switch on the left side of the trio of plugs that are on the dash section of the panel that holds the tach, etc. I also have a three plugs below these.
    Remove the fuse access cover that is below the plugs and you can reach behind the cover with your finger and push them out. Real easy to do. Good luck!
    Sorry, my bad. You think that having factory fog lights on my truck I would know, but I messed up. btw the covers might be a little harder to get off because they are in the upper dash section. Since you need to run wires to the switch you may have to lower the lower dash to get to the upper section and the rear of the dash! Good luck
    Yesterday when I started my '05 V6 Access Cab there came a shrill high pitched screaching from behing the dashoard. I soon learned that I could almost kill the noise if I turned OFF the vent fan speed control and I could get the shrill screach to accelerate by rotating the speed control switch to HIGH SPEED. I made an appointment with a dealer to check it out later this week. When I got into the truck today there was no noise whatsoever. Does anyone else have this problem?
  • az comaaz coma Member Posts: 19
    Yep, only mine chirped at low speed and goes away when I increased the fan speed. I bumped the fan (located on the passenger side by foot rest) with my fist and the chirp went away. Until I can get to make noise continuously, I won't have the dealer look at it. :confuse:
  • malgreenmalgreen Member Posts: 1
    I have an 06 Tacoma double cab 4x2 TRD with auto transmission and have noticed late and hard shifting from 1st to 2nd as well as at other times (accelerating and decelerating). Also, about 10 seconds after stopping at a light, there's a slight kick down that feels like someone is gently nudging the vehicle from behind. I haven't brought it in to the dealer yet as I've only had it less than two months. Anyone happen to know what the RPMs should be during acceleration?
    The slight kick down that feels like someone is gently nudging the vehicle from behind may be a result of having your vent settings in either of the two defrost positions. I believe that these two settings cause the air conditioner to turn on and off as required to dry the moisture in the cab, but I am not certain. If you do not have your vent settings in either of the two defrost positions, you are likely to find that you do not have this problem. I have had to get used to it. I have an 06 Tacoma DC 4X4 TRD with the auto transmission. Wes
    Any noise is friction. I decided to ask the dealer to give me the exact cause for the fan chirping, even though it's gone away, for now. Could be a bearing or worse yet a failed hex nut holding the propeller to its shaft. Wouldn't want a fan failure away on a trip this summer. I have the platinum warranty. Thanks for sharing your 'fix'.
  • pb2themaxpb2themax Member Posts: 471
    I put a ScanGauge in the stock temp/compass location. Thought you might want to check it out.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

For more info check page 13 of my Car Domain. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/832238
  • ronk44ronk44 Member Posts: 35
    That is really cool!
  • ustazzafustazzaf Member Posts: 311
    I was thinking today that I would like to have a device in my truck to tell me if lugging in 5th or reving in 4th would giver me better mileage. Along comes this post. Thanks PB. Just don't understand removing the compass and temp. That was a selling point for me about the truck package.
  • pb2themaxpb2themax Member Posts: 471
    The compass and temp was a selling point? The temp gauge is usually off by about 5 to 8 degrees anyway. I can always listen to the weather channel on XM radio if I want to hear the temp and weather forecast. And as for the compass, I'll soon be getting a double din navigation system that will have a satelite guided compass on the display. So I didn't mind getting rid of the stock temp/compass. I'd much rather have a cool place for the ScanGauge. Otherwise I'd have to find somewhere to mount the big clunky enclosure that the ScanGauge normaly comes in.
    Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Anyway, you should look into a ScanGauge. The info it provides is awesome. It will probably pay for itself after a while, by making you drive more conservatively when you look at the real-time MPG. Plus it will tell you "Problem Codes" in the computer. If the code is an error or something that's not important then you can use the ScanGauge to clear the Check Engine light. No need to pay the Stealership to do it. :)
  • gaeaglefangaeaglefan Member Posts: 4
    I have a little over 2K on my 06 double cab TRD Sport and have noticed the exact same thing when stopped. The first time I felt the nudge, I looked in the rear view mirrror to ensure that no one had rear-ended me! I have also noticed the hard shifting while running (accelerating a decelerating). It has been inconsistent so I have not informed the dealer.