Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma 2005+

Comments

• steveh427steveh427 Member Posts: 25
    I've purchased my pre-runner double cab short bed TRD off road in June 05 and have had absolutly no problems or complaints of anything I've heard on this board. I only have about 9,000 miles but haven't heard any engine noises, suspension noises, leaks,........nothing. I've been alternating between regular gas, and mid-grade, and haven't notice any difference in performance. I'm completely satisfied with my pre-runner.
  • havokhavok Member Posts: 18
    Great. Thanks for all the input. I really want one of these and find myself salivating whenever I see one.
  • billdudebilldude Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a 2006 Tacoma access cab, 4x4, TRD, V6. Even though I have had standards for many years I cant seem to get the hang of shifting this truck correctly. If I start out and go over 2000 rpm's the engine doesnt idle back for a few seconds so when you put the clutch in it is over-revving. This really throws off my shifting. The dealer of course, told me that it is normal and that there are no adjustments. I find that hard to believe. Also the drivetrain does alot of clunking when shifting. Once again..Normal. As I am new to Tacomas with standard shift I dont know what is right or not. Can anyone advise?
  • jfigueroa1jfigueroa1 Member Posts: 209
    I have an 05 Double Cab PreRunner A/T TRD/SPORT short bed, bought April 05 and I haven't had any problems at all. one paint chips at the edge between the grille and the hood the size of a pin head sure it was caused by a lil pebble, no windshield leaks, no drive line clunks, rear spring clunks/tick but, it is so rare that it do not bothers me at all, no air leaks or whistles around the windows unless you are doing 75 + in a windy day, yes you can hear the tick coming from the injector solenoid nothing more. That's after 10,000 miles of driving. I have the mud guard and a side steps the oval shape one, bed extender, I like the truck a lot, great for a family of 3 "my case 2 yr old soon + wife" when by my self I enjoy stepping in the gas fron the hole and let her stretch her legs, this is a very fast vehicle to be a considered truck. I am a car clean freak so rain or shine, snow or hot summer day the car is always in the 2.5 cars garage, nice waxed/clean.
  • bigandybigandy Member Posts: 70
    I'd like to hear opinions about how to maximize mileage performance. I know all the stuff about driving with a light foot and keeping the speed to 65 instead of 75 on the freeway. I'm asking more about mechanical configuration than good driving habits.

I have a 2005 4x4 Access Cab 4.0 V6 6 speeed stick with a Snugtop shell on it all the time. I bumped the tires to 265/75R16 Michellin LTX truck tires (from the 265/70R16 Goodrich's). Using a GPS over many long trip with these tires, the distance traveled is about 6.5% more than what shows on the odometer.

Accounting for the 6.5% difference, my mileage is only a disappointing 14 around town and about 18 on freeway only travel. My 1999 V6 Tacoma ExtraCab with shell got about 16 around town and 21 on the freeway. That engine was not nearly as sophisticated as the one in the '05. I've added a K&N air filter and am about to change to all synthetic oil (Mobil One) with about 14k miles on it.

Any suggestions about what other changes I can make to improve mileage at this point is welcome.
  • boone88rrboone88rr Member Posts: 194
    I have the exact same configuration as you. No bed cover though.

The synthetic oil may make a slight difference but probably not a drastic one.

I would suggest switching out the differential fluids. Also, lightening the use of your right foot will help as well.

I use FP60 in my truck. You may want to consider it (Info Here).

I regularly get around 16 or 17 mpg with about 75% city driving. The best I've ever gotten was 20mpg, all highway.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Member Posts: 7
    It's good to see my own problems are shared... : )
    On my '06 TRD Sport V6 6speed, I had problems like I was new to sticks, but that's all I've driven for more than 35 years. I have observed the following:
    a. the truck loves to shift on revs -- preferably high revs
    b. while some vehicles are forgiving on the occasional lugging, this one is not
    c. heel and toe just is not possible -- the tacoma requires a full removal of accelerator and clutch pedal, respectively
    d. at higher speeds -- as in shifting from 4 to 5 to 6 and back down, the difference in smoothness is noticeable
    I guess that we just have to get used to it. I do think though that Toyota should be able to do better than this. I bought Tacoma because it is supposed to be the best small truck. To think that I traded in my 2004 Dodge SRT-10 Viper truck on this Tacoma. Now thats a truck I can shift! I traded because I needed a useful and more economical truck for work. Srt got from 6-9 mpg. Had to use high test also. I have to use my old regristration plate from the SRT for a few weeks until I get the regristration from the dealer. My old tag says.. HEMI-THS. I will probably get rear-ended from a Hemi owner who is thinking, Tacoma this!
    I hope that no one gets the wrong idea from my post. I love the Tacoma, just not the way it shifts. When I bought my 2004 SRT I traded in my 2002 Tacoma 4x4. That one had an auto. and ran great. Never once had a problem. I am hoping that my 2006 Tacoma will be just as good. Just checked the milage for the first time and got 16 mpg.Cool beans! :)
  • len888len888 Member Posts: 112
    I have a '05 Access Cab with a Fold-A-Cover tonno. It has a V-6 4.0L auto transmission. I average 21mpg between interstate and city driving which is split 50-50. Due to high gas prices I use mostly 87 octane (no corn alcohol in our gas mix yet where I drive here in the northeast).

You mentioned freeway driving. Does that involve creeping along and alot of idling? If yes, then your mileage is atypical for the Toyota v-6. That is, your not typical to consider true mileage calculations.

Don't forget tire pressure. and stay away from overdoing the bolt-on stuff like Westin grills. Happy truckin'.
    The range of oil specs you cited was interesting. As a reminder to readers it's OK to switch from oil to synthetic but not from synthetic back to regular oil. Synthetic is superior for clean lubrication.
  • boone88rrboone88rr Member Posts: 194
    As a reminder to readers it's OK to switch from oil to synthetic but not from synthetic back to regular oil.

Not true.

They are 100% forward and backward compatible with each other.

In fact Auto-Rx recommends that you switch from synthetic back to dino in order for their product to work correctly and efficiently. Then you can go back to synthetic if you choose.
    I used the term "freeway" to refer to 50-75 mph, not bumper to bumper crawling, which is obviously a killer for mileage.

I talked to a Toyota mechanic a couple of weeks ago and it sounds like I don't have any sort of ongoing problem with my truck. These things are intensely monitored and will throw a "check engine" code if things are out of whack. You're pretty clearly getting better mileage than I am and I'm still not sure what to make of it. Tires were recently rotated and pressure was checked, so I down this is the problem. Oh well.
  • gr8blue1gr8blue1 Member Posts: 33
    Have you reset your ECU lately? When you take the next long trip, leave early and try running at 64mph and keep the RPMs low.

I have a stock 05 DC 4x4 6sp. Stock BFGs. No major mods. Only added a roll-up tonneau. No K&N. I use Toyota 5W-30 oil and filter. I've long switched to 87 gas (buying only BP/Amoco, Exxon, Mobil, Sunoco gas and in a few instances, Shell).

In warmer weather I get 16 city and 20 hi-way (sticker)@ speeds lesser than 65 mph keeping RPMs around 2300. In winter, mpg sometimes goes as low as 14-17 but I usually get 15-18. I have GPS. For every 25 miles traveled, only 24 shows on the odometer (about 4% difference). I don't even use that 4% difference when computing the gas mileage (as an offset to fill-up level). I keep the tire pressure at 34 psi. I use cruise control most of the time.

I had the truck since Nov 04 and my share of grumbling about gas mileage in the first 5K miles. 35K miles later, it's doing just fine. :)
  • gr8blue1gr8blue1 Member Posts: 33
    a. the truck loves to shift on revs -- preferably high revs

TRUE. Shift on low rev (or gas pedal slightly off) and it gets that dreaded clunk especially from 1st to 2nd. (and there goes the MPG...)

c. heel and toe just is not possible -- the tacoma requires a full removal of accelerator and clutch pedal, respectively

LOL. I tried wearing heavy boots but it got worse. Some people have modified the pedal throw. Not sure how it went though as I wasn't too interested doing it.
  • pb2themaxpb2themax Member Posts: 471
    My Scosche dash kit looks perfect. I love it. And I love my Eclipse AVN6600. Having a DVD player in the dash makes long drives so much more enjoyable. The GPS and Sirius radio is cool too. It makes me love being in my Taco even more than before.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
    There is a valve in the bottom of the filler neck. You can't siphon out gas. It's like a floating ball valve. Gas can go down, but not back up. Most newer cars have this. I have a locking gas cap so that people can't put any foreign objects down in the filler neck.
    I had Nifty Extreme floor mats but I sold them. I like these weathertechs a lot better. Cabelas.com has about the best price on them. Awesome quality and tight fit. About $155 shipped, for front and rears.

The service advisor at my Toyota dealer's maintenance Dept was very clear about NOT switching from synthetic back to regular oil, and that going from regular motor oil to synthetic is OK. I happen to use Mobil 1 in all of my vehicles.
  • geogeckogeogecko Member Posts: 225
    Yep, those are the ones I got too, same color as yours too. I love them.

Would be curious to know what the extra 3 switches you have are for on the left side of the dash...
    The 1st switch is for my PIAA off-road lamps which are mounted on my Bull Bar. The 2nd switch is for my under-cab backup lights. And the 3rd switch is a manual shut-off for my electric radiator cooling fan, in case I go through mud or deep water.

Check my CarDomain for pics and info. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/832238

I got the switches here http://www.4x4mods.com/

And here's an extra pic just to show off my new battery and wiring. I'm in the process of adding a monster sound system, so I've beefed up the electrical system. Bigger charging and grounding cables.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Set up your CarSpace albums (same login as the Forums), and your pics are available through the CarSpace link in your profile :)

kcram - Pickups Host
  • ed95682ed95682 Member Posts: 7
    It's been some time since this last post, but I'm in the process of replacing my front speakers with the Kappa 693.7i on my '06 double cab.
    I plan on replacing the Head with an Alpine(cda-9857) unit, but haven't purchased that as of yet. I wasn't planning on an Amp nor subwoofers.
    The speakers are out and the new ones are ready to be installed, but....I'm not sure has to how the wiring takes place?
    The 693.7i, have an "in-line crossover". Do you use the existing speaker wire coming through the door and connecting it to the "crossover" or do you run new speaker wire?
    Where does the "crossover" get installed? In the door? And if so, should you be concerned with moisture getting into the crossover?
    If you use the existing speaker wire, do you disconnect and remove the factory tweeter?

Sure could use the help...Thanks, Ed
    There is no other crossover in the circuit. You can tap into the speaker wires behind the kick panels. I would put the crossover behind the kick panels or ou in the dash. But if you mount the crossover in the cab you'll need to run a new set of wires to the tweeter. You could mount the crossover on the door panel, but DON'T put the crossover inside the door skins, where the window glass is. It will get wet. If you have a coaxial set of speakers you can keep the

If you're installing a new tweeter off of your crossover then you will need to run wires from your crossover directly to the tweeter. The factory just has the tweeter wired in paralled with the woofer. Behind the door panel they have the joint all taped up. Just cut the tape off and you'll see which wires go where.

Here's the wire colors.

Front left + is a pink wire
    Front left - is purple
    Front right + is light
    front right - is blue

Rear left + is black
    Rear left - is yellow
    Right rear + is red
    Right rear - is white
    How the hell do you keep that thing so clean? Do you ever drive it?

Mine is home to a lot of miscellaneous but important extras, tucked in the back. Also have to have room for 110 pounds of Bernese Mountain Dog, who tends to leave a cloud of mostly black hair in his wake.

I'm envious of yours. Not even sure mine looked that good the day I picked it up.
  • ed95682ed95682 Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the info. The crossover I was referring to was the ones supplied with the new Kappa speakers. Your info was very helpful. I think I have a handle on it now. Thanks,
  • gaeaglefangaeaglefan Member Posts: 4
    I was exiting Robert's BBQ (World's greatest onion rings) in North Charlston this weekend in my Auto 06 DC TRD Sport and the entrance to the highway is on a steep incline. While waiting to merge into trafic my tuck started drifting backwards down the incline (while in Drive). Is this normal? I have lived most of my life in the Low Country so have not had to deal with many inclines.
    It's got 13k miles on it. I wash it 2 or 3 times a week, and polish/wax once a month. I'm a semi-professional car detailer. I don't do it full time, but I do detail cars.

Keeping the interior clean is easy if you don't let it get too messy. To keep it clean I mostly use a dry towel for dusting and boars hair brush for getting dust out of the little nooks and crannies. I use 303 Aerospace protectant on the vinyl, plastic, and leather surfaces. It's a light protectant that adds a lot of protection and just a tiny bit of shine, which is how I like it.

Here's a good thread on how to care for your truck.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t126955.html
  • pathfinderpathfinder Member Posts: 7
    Well, I went ahead and ordered one, even without y'all's advice and counsel. Will probably get deployed before I can even install it, so it'll be waiting for me when I get back. Even the guy at my speed shop did not know whether or not it could be threaded onto the shifter or if it had some cheap nylon bushing that would eventually loosen up (probably during a high speed run in the bush)...">
  • newtrucknewtruck Member Posts: 5
    I have an 05 truck, as basic as they come with auto trans, 4 cyl. base cab. Fits my needs well. This past weekend I had a 600 mile trip planned and decided to test mpg by holding the speed to w/in 3-4 miles of posted limits, used cruise control, dropped the tail gate lid, used AC as needed. Checking the mileage 3 times I got 26.5 mpg even the first two fillups, and 27.3 on the third. Part of the trip was mountain driving in western part of NC. The third fillup was after driving on state roads 55mph for about a third of the distance. I've gotten as high as 29 mpg on some 55mph backroads in the past. I only have about 2300 miles on it since it's a #2 vehicle for me.
  • slabanumslabanum Member Posts: 18
    How long did it take before the floor liners came from cabelas.com. Their website says 3-5 weeks, that's awfully a long time.
    Actually, I got mine from AutoGeek.net. In the checkout, enter AUTOPIA in the discount code box for 10% off. With shipping, the front and rears were about $157. AutoGeek drop ships from the manufacturer, with floormat orders. They arrived here in less than a week after placing the order. I looked up the part number from the Weathertech.com website and entered it into the Notes box when I placed my order, just to make sure they were sending the right ones. Everything went perfect. I love the Weathertech floor liners.
  • jpr_71jpr_71 Member Posts: 10
    I have an '05 indigo blue truck with LOTS of paint chips on the lower rockers and lower rear fender wells. I do have front and rear mud flaps, but no running boards. With only 10K miles, the damage to the paint is completely unacceptable....this truck has been babied and driven on pavement 99% of the time with no off-roading and no gravel roads. I have to take it to the dealer and see what they'll do. And, I don't think that a reasonable answer is to just add running boards. I had a lot of trucks over the years and hadn't seen chipping like this until the vehicle was really old or really abused. If I had to guess, I would say that Toyota is using a different formula paint or a softer clearcoat that chips easily. Has anyone noticed that Toyota added more protection on the '06 models? Take a look at one and you'll see what I mean.
    Those are some nice switches. I'm checking out your ride at cardomains. Very nice.

Oh, how did you pull the TRD stickers off the sides of the bed? I'm thinking about doing it, but haven't decided yet. I'm also hoping that after a year and 4 months, I won't have paint fading...
    Thanks.

I used a heat gun to take off the decals. Just warm it up and then pick at the corner and just pull it off. It left some sticky stuff behind, so I used Goo Gone to clean it up, and then polished and waxed. Be sure to use Goo Gone, not Goof Off. Goof Off is too strong of a chemical to use on your paint. To remove the emblems use a fishing line behind the emblem and saw it back and forth to cut through the foam adhesive.

You won't have any fading. I just took the last remaining emblems off of my tailgate. My truck is over a year old. There wasn't any fading on the tailgate behind the emblems. My truck is completely shaved now. ha ha

Here she is from the front. I'll post some more pics after the lift and tires go on in a week or so.

• wooddorkerwooddorker Member Posts: 300
    I'll just take a moment to complement your photos. Aside from the very nicely done subject truck, your photos are always clear, well lit, and nicely color balanced.

As the world's worst photographer, I tip my hat! :shades:
    So I assume a hair dryer would work well enough for the "heat gun?"

What lift are you getting? Are you using the stock wheels, or changing those out?

I like the Donahoe Racing kits (although slightly expensive), mainly, because they use all stock mounting points. I'd also like to use the original 17" wheels, but finding tires in stock is somewhat difficult, but nothing that Discount Tire cannot order. I just wonder if I would have to use wheel spacers so that I would not get rubbing...

I like your front grill too, I went with the Lund Screenfront, with the black plastic. I think it looks pretty good.
  • az comaaz coma Member Posts: 19
    My '05 DC 4x4 sport w 4.0 V6 and 6 speed has this awful sound that appears to be coming from the clutch throw out bearing. It'll go away when I depress the clutch fully and is only apparent when the truck is cold. After driving it for awhile, it goes away. Anybody else with a 6 speed having similar issues with their clutches? Oh, the truck only has 10k miles and has been making this noise since almost new. Of course the dealer can't hear it because the truck is fully warmed by the time I get it there. :mad:
  • geo22geo22 Member Posts: 5
    Requesting Tacoma owner advise/experience....
    I am considering purchasing the Tacoma 4x4 TDR Sport w/ long bed and 4.0L V-6... and i'm curious about it's real "truck" abilities.
    I presently own a Dodge RAM 1500 short box w/ the V-8 318.
    I realize the two trucks can't be compared in the same class, but I drove the Tacoma and really like it. My only concern is that 10% of the time that I may miss the "big truck" abilities.
    I have a boat (cabin cruiser, 23 foot SeaRay w/ 350 v-8) weighing approx. 7000 pounds, but i only drive 10-15 miles with it four times per year (out of storage, into the lake, out of the lake, and back into storage). If I traveled more with the boat i definitely would be looking for something larger than the Tacoma.
    The max. tow rating on the tacoma is 6500 lb... think it can handle the above mentioned?????
    Thanks
  • wooddorkerwooddorker Member Posts: 300
    "The max. tow rating on the tacoma is 6500 lb... think it can handle the above mentioned?????Thanks"

I tow with mine all the time and I probably wouldn't do that.

I'd probably rent something (an empty Ryder or U-Haul 14-16 footer would do well) or pay a boat yard to move it, if that's the only time I needed the bigger truck. Otherwise, I'd just keep the Dodge.
    I'm getting Donahoe coil overs, Total Chaos Upper Control Arms, Donahoe's new rear reservoir shocks, and Alcan rear AAL.

For wheels I ordered a pair of 17" Boze Forged wheels. Model: Stinger 6 with charcoal powdercoated spokes, and polished lip. http://www.bozeforged.com/

For tires I got GoodYear Wrangler Silent Armor 275/70/17

The wheels should be here in about a week. I'm ordering the suspension tomorrow (Friday) morning.
  • newtoy06newtoy06 Member Posts: 2
    Anyone know how to make the hood scoop on a '06 Tac function?
    Function?
    The hood scoop is simply appearance....
    Cars with carb's and air breathers that can't fit under the hood have real scoops. Cooling is accomplished through the front grill/radiator.
    If you really wanted to, the hood could probably be removed and the front of the air scoop cut out leaving just a grill to cover the opening.... but then when it rains you need to realize that water will get into the engine compartment!
  • ustazzafustazzaf Member Posts: 311
    The max. tow rating on the tacoma is 6500 lb... think it can handle the above mentioned?????

When the companies rate their trucks for towing, they go out on the road, up and down hills, across hot lakebeds, stuff like that. They see how much weight they can carry without overheating or other problems. I don't think you will have any problem driving a short distance as long as you are not going up steep hills and as long as you have good trailer brakes (not surge brakes, cause they do you no good backing down the ramp).
    That is going to be awesome. I like those wheels. What lip size did you go with on those?

The tires should be pretty good, not too knobby, not to streetish, good for off-road, and quiet for highway driving.

Are you doing the installation yourself, or having a shop do it? If you are having a shop do it, how did you pick one?

Please put some pictures up when you get it finished. That thing is going to be like the Stealth B2!
    Anyone have the factory upgraded performance exhaust?
    Sure it does probably add a nice sound, but is there much of a horse power gain (if so any idea how much)? :confuse:
    I was thinking to add that and replace the air breather with a K&N (two of the simplest things to increase horsepower - increase air intake and exhaust).
    Hoping that with increased horsepower the peak torque may also increase a little for towing purposes. :mad:
    Happened to notice another members comment/question (see below), but did not receive an explanation why....
    Anyone know why?? it seems as though this would be a desirable option especially if close to (or over) the max. tow rating... Possibly not recommended because it may result in the owner deciding to tow even more weight...?

does anyone know why the owners book says they (TOY) recommend NOT using a weight distribution hitch set up with the this truck. The dealer stumbled on this question?
    Oh, is that Westin bull bar a direct bolt on, or is some modifications needed? Do you have to remove the factory engine skid plate (not the front, but engine)?

I have been noticing a very high pitched, almost beeping, noise inside the cab when doing about 80MPH, and having a heavy head wind, or slight cross wind. I added the Lund Screen front, thinking it was probably something in front of the radiator. That did not fix the problem, nor change the behavior of the sound. Now I noticed today, that the engine skid plate has some little side scoops that hang down below the engine, where air could possibly catch them, and make them vibrate. The drivers side seemed like it hung down more, so I bent it up to match the passenger side. I was wondering if the front skid plate covers this part up, on the engine skid plate, and secondly, does the front skid plate replace or over lap, the engine skid plate?

I used a hair dryer to remove my TuRD stickers this afternoon, then Goof Gone to get the sticky stuff off. Worked great. I also removed the Toyota badge above the Tacoma badge on the tailgate.

Add to that, I also added the DynoLock electric tailgate lock. Well, almost. I've got the tailgate part done, just got to run the wires up from the gate to the cab, and I'll be done.

I'm getting ready to wash her now, once things cool down a bit...
    The bull bar just bolts on. You don't have to remove the skid plate or the tow hooks. It bolts underneath 4 of the 8 bolts that hold the bumper mounts to the frame. It will work with the stock skid plate. But I'm pretty sure that it won't work with the optional TRD skid plate. Here's a picture of a truck with the TRD skid plate.

Thanks PB. I think I may go with the Westin BB, off eBay. By the time I paid for and shipped an optional TRD skid plate, I could almost get the Westin. It looks better too, IMO.

Will have to order one when I get back from being out of town.

Thanks for the tips.