Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma 2005+

Comments

• geogeckogeogecko Member Posts: 225
    I just had to say how impressed I am with the DynoLock electronic tailgate lock. I put off installing it, because I figured it would take the better part of a day. Actually, it only took about 2 hours to install.

I made some "operator" errors on the wiring, and installed it into the wrong wiring harness. After a quick call to Jim, all was resolved. You can't beat having direct cell phone customer service available when you need it.

Anyway, something as simple as a tailgate lock...personally, I am glad I didn't get the PopNLock, because now, it unlocks automatically with my passenger/rear doors. No need to use "another" key.

I'd highly recommend one to anyone.
  • nascarfan00nascarfan00 Member Posts: 4
    I've been looking at purchasing one of these also. Where did you end up buying yours?
  • gandalf1gandalf1 Member Posts: 62
    From page 303 in the Tacoma 2006 manual, 2nd paragraph under the Trailer Towing heading:

"We recommend you use a weight distribution hitch when towing to keep your vehicle level with the ground"
  • geo22geo22 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the clarification (ie.that the manual does NOT indicate not to use wt. distribution hitch).... The person that mentioned this must have been misinformed.
  • len888len888 Member Posts: 112
    I don't take my shoes off when I get in my truck, as suggested by some of the nifty interiors posted on this website. Jus kiddin'. Anyway, I noticed some ground in dirt starting to imbed on the carpeting next to the side of the gas pedal and just ordered WeatherTech front and rear floormats from Cabela's.com who have an excellent internet chat/ordering system. They'll dropship from the factory for my receipt in 3 to 5 wks. UPS freight is an outrageous $25.

With my '05 V-6 Red Access Cab having an interior blend of various shades of grey to include the dashboard and BEL textured seat covers, I went with all grey mats. It was great to read all of the owners' experiences with different brands of floormats. It's the form, fit and function that is most important to me which led to my buying WeatherTech. The striking black accents on my truck are the door sill protectors, the TOY running boards, the Dunlop tires and the Fold-A-Cover tonneau over the composite bedliner. Keep on truckin'.......
  • caltacocaltaco Member Posts: 8
    Just took my 2005 6 speed sport into the dealership last week. Had the clutch assembly replaced as it was squeeking badly and lubrication wouldn't help it.

While I was there I had the manager take a look at my paint. Specifically on the drivers side behind the rear door. On the curve of the door sill most of the paint had been worn off. The passenger side didn't have a mark on it. The manager said this was the second truck he had seen with misalligned doors with the same paitn problems. The passenger door is actually adjusted to far in to the cab exposing the door sill to the elements.

They are fixing the door and repainting for me at no charge. If you look at the passenger side rear door it is adjusted a bit out from the cab and protects the sill, the drivers side is indented a bit causing the problem. Just an FYI for any of you to review before your paint is gone.....

This is my 4th Toyota truck and they have always been prone to paint issues around the rear of the cab / in front of the rear wheel well but this was way worse.
    Has anyone mounted a trailer brake controller in their Tacoma? Where did you put it? I think the best spot is at the bottom of the center stack - in the opening above the cup holders, but then you have to drill a hole in the plastic for the wires. I think I can get around drilling any mounting holes by using heavy duty velcro to attach it.

I'm ticked that Toyota doesn't include a brake controller when you buy the tow package like they do on American trucks. I mean, if you buy the tow package there's a good chance you're gonna be towing something heavy enough to need one! Instead, you have to install one mickey-mouse fashion someplace - just like I did on my 82 Toyota truck.

I have added the above gripe to the cost cutting rear drum brakes and sagging left side complaints...oh yeah, and occasional 'clunk' that others have also reported.
    The assembly of your door(s) is the strangest story of Toyota workmanship I ever heard. Where was the truck assembled? Your VIN will tell you. My Tacoma was assembled and painted in CA and is excellent.
  • pb2themaxpb2themax Member Posts: 471
    I got my Weathertech floor liners from AutoGeek.net within a week from when I ordered them. The total for front and rear for a double cab was $156, including shipping. At checkout use AUTOPIA in the discount code box for 10% off your order.
  • pilotpilot Member Posts: 9
    can anyone tell me why at 60 to 65 miles an hour my steering wheel shakes , my truck only has 600 miles on it
  • bill55bill55 Member Posts: 25
    If it is an 05 model there may be a a TSB on that. It is "ST004-06", check with your dealer.
  • caltacocaltaco Member Posts: 8
    Not the assembly of the doors but the adjustment or allignment. My driver side passenger door is alligned in a bit to far exposing the door sill. Mine was installed in CA as well. Take a look at both your passenger rear doors...on mine the driver side is adjusted in to far where as my passenger side rear is adjusted out a bit...I only have the paint problem on the driver side...I'll see if I can get a photo to post...
  • aztacoaztaco Member Posts: 36
    WOW! Haven't been here in about 6 months, have some catching up to do. Had a flat this week on my 05 taco and when I pulled the spare there were 8 marks where the tire rubbed against the frame and actually rubbed into the sidewalls. Went to the dealer and they said this is "normal" and there is nothing they can do about it. They also said the tire was perfectly safe to drive on, even in the 115 degree heat. (I'm in AZ) I have had 2 other trucks, an 88 Chevy and a 2000 Tacoma and neither one had this problem. Dealer said I was just lucky with my other 2 trucks because this is a common problem for trucks.
    My question, is this really normal? I plan on getting a sheet of fairly thick rubber to go between the spare and the frame. That should stop further damage, but it sucks that I have to replace a brand new spare. I think my life is worth the $100.
    Does anyone have Toyota's address? I think this requires a letter.
  • kbshadowkbshadow Member Posts: 22
    I have heard its because of the brakes, and the valve that adjusts for the weight in the back, it will not work right with the hitch.

kbshadow
    stockton Ca
  • ustazzafustazzaf Member Posts: 311
    I have only seen Ford with the brake controller standard, and only in the last year or 2. I may be wrong. It is possible that the majority who buy a truck with a tow package will actually tow with it, but I would guess that the majority will not pull a trailer large enough to use brakes. When I bought my truck, the tow package was part of the TRD package, so it was either get the tow package or not get the TRD package. Some would say getting the brake controller they will never use with the tow package is Toyotas way of sticking it to the consumer, while others say they should go hand in hand. Toyota can't win. I figure if I get the offroad package, the hitch, tow hook, skid plate and 110 outlet would be naturally included because I intend to go out in the boonies where I may need a tow or to tow someone else. Others complain that they have to take all or none. All they can do is see what the majority of people want in each area and try to please them. As for the rear drums, the only time it will make any difference at all is if you have the rear end loaded and need to do a panic stop. Otherwise the rear wheels will lock before you run out of braking capability. The only difference is that discs will lock sooner. You aren't going to get any more stopping power out of locked discs than you will locked drums. I had to make a panic stop with my truck on my recent cross-country trip, and the brakes are certainly not lacking. And the rear track system had no problem holding the 600 pound motorcycle in place. The only sagging problem I have seen is the S10s from many years ago. Must be stolen from them.
  • banowetlbanowetl Member Posts: 6
    Hi, I have an 06 Double Cab Long Bed TRD Sport with the tow package. Since December, I have put 11,000 miles on it. I just put a Prodigy brake controller in on Tuesday night and the Equal-I-Zer sway/distribution hitch tonight. Every thing works great. The Prodigy controller does not have to be level to operate. It can be mounted up to 70 degrees from level and still work. It just needs to be pointing straight ahead. I mounted it on the plastic cover that goes under the steering wheel. The wiring harness from Toyota that came with the truck and the Prodigy cable wired together in just a few minutes. It looks ok and does not interfere with my legs. I have a Starcraft 21CK hybrid camper (3100 lbs dry) that I will be pulling. I took it out tonight and the weight distribution hitch and controller made the ride very smooth. The Prodigy can be had online for $99.00
  • bc02svtbc02svt Member Posts: 3
    I mounted a Hayes Lemmerz controller to the left underside of my dash, below the little door storage compartment. Perfect. Toyota provided the harness which is more than my 02 Ram with towing package provided. Under $100 and along with my weight distribution hitch, I'm ready to hook up. Easy to install.
    Thx for the Autogeek.net info. Their availability for the '05 access cab is listed as 'front' only. I am letting the Cabela order proceed (front & rear in grey). The upside is getting a complete set in the color I want (grey) with a guaranteed fit The downside is UPS and 'outside leadtime' of 3 - 5 wks. PB you always share good info and this was worth my pausing about.
    Yeah, their site doesn't list the rear mats for the 05/06 but they still carry them, and they carry them in every color too. Just select the option for front and rear floor liners, then enter your trucks info. In the Notes section I entered the manufactuer part number of the floor liners I wanted. The front and rear liners arrived exactly how I wanted. You can look up the exact color and part number at Weathertech.com
  • desertchilddesertchild Member Posts: 4
    Just thought I would let everyone know that the Tacoma saved my life today. I was T boned by a cop going throuth a red light at about 50 mph. The truck was hit on the passenger side door and flipped landing upright on the medium. None of the wheels came off and the cab did not crumble. Also the head curtain and side airbags went off. I walked out of the truck. Only injury are sore ribs on my right side. Also my dog (90 lbs) was in the back seat- folded into a flat bench- and she walked away. God Bless Toyota and believe me when i say everyone on this forum bought a safe truck that will protect you and your family.
  • geogeckogeogecko Member Posts: 225
    Hey. Sorry for the late reply, out on business.

I ordered direct from:

http://dynolock.com/

But it appears their site is under construction. You could probably order one by e-mailing Jim @: jim [at] dynolock [dot] com
  • eaglegeagleg Member Posts: 87
    Sorry to hear about your accident.Bet you'll be buying another Tacoma.
  • wooddorkerwooddorker Member Posts: 300
    "I have heard its because of the brakes, and the valve that adjusts for the weight in the back, it will not work right with the hitch."

PLEASE check your manual.
    My phone order to Cabela's for front and rear WeatherShield floor mats in grey arrived yesterday by UPS. Just one week ARO in spite of their published leadtime of 4 to 5 weeks. Mats were shipped from the manufacturer.
  • billg1billg1 Member Posts: 1
    Thanks a million for your insight and fix. I had to use the 0.220 diameter cord...guess the groove differs a bit between Tacos. Never would have guessed at the cause. Have been driving this truck, a 2005 access cab model, for 1.5 years and this particular noise just noticed yesterday!

Thanks again....what a great web site Edmunds has and thanks to them for the forum. :)
  • riverrat1riverrat1 Member Posts: 12
    Good fix! I think I have the same problem especially with a head wind. I thought that it was related to another problem and it was the door seals, at 40-50 mph, it sounds like I'm always driving into a head wind. At higher speeds, is when, like you, I have the whistle. A lot of my driving is at 40-50 and the constant noise drives me CRAZY. I will try the cord and hopefully fix one problem...
    Thanks.
    Bob
    Check to see that each wheel is balanced with weights on BOTH sides of each wheel otherwise called a 'dynamic balance'. The inner wheel weights are stuck on whereas the outer weights are crimped on. That should fix the problem.
  • vabundezvabundez Member Posts: 2
    how or where did you get your headlights blacked out and where are u gonna do the tailights?
  • spicey33spicey33 Member Posts: 6
    I am having the same problem with my '05 Tacoma. The suggested fixes posted are way to technical for someone of my limited auto knowledge. I'm assuming this is a problem the dealer will address at no charge.

Did you get the problem fixed afterwards?
    This is how you black out the headlights. http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t106329.html

I wouldn't try the tail lights. They are made from a softer plastic.
    I kind of agree with you about the rear drum brakes locking up, however you're forgetting that drums don't stop nearly as well in the wet as disc's, nor do drum brakes dissipate heat as well. This last point is important when you're driving in mountains with long downhill stretches. The bottom line is that this is just a cost-cutting move by Toyota which I think is not right considering the MSRP on my truck is $30k.
    I also put the Prodigy brake controller on my truck, right above the spare change holder. It seems like putting it under the steering column, it would be even more prone to hitting with your knee than where I put it. Is that the case? If not, I may move mine. And I am still thinking about putting it in the open box at the bottom of the center console, although that would require me drilling a hole in the back of it for the wires.

Yes, I did appreciate Toyota's handy plug under the dash. It sure made installing it a snap.
    I disagree with pretty much all of your comments. In water (unless your wheels are submerged)the shoes are better protected from water than the front pads. As far as heat, drive your car 50 miles and see if the rotor or drum is hotter. In 20 years of auto repair I have never burnt my hand on a drum, but have several times in rotors and calipers. But, yes drums are cheaper to build (and much cheaper to replace). Of course the repair shop is happy if you have rear calipers. Not only are the calipers alot more expensive to replace than wheel cylinders (and more likely to need replaced), but many rear calipers cannot be opened for pad replacement without a special tool, so it is less likely that the owner will be able to fix his own brakes. But that is good for the dealership, so maybe they should put discs on to help their shops..... Maybe Toyota is doing me a favor putting drums on.
  • soljah13soljah13 Member Posts: 3
    My 2005 Tacoma has the same problem as everyone else's Tacoma. geogecko (or anyone else who has corrected this noise problem), I am not that mechanically inclined but this beeping noise gets on my freakin' nerves. Can you be a little more descriptive with this window screen spline fix? Thanks.
    I have not had the problem, nor have I modified my truck in this manner, but I have worked with screen spline. It is the little rubber rope that holds screens in place on about every window screen made from campers to houses. What the Toy owners are supposedly doing is buying this stuff and rolling it into the gap around the outside of the windshield. It is definitely easiest to buy the little roller for installing the rope. It can be bought for about 2 bucks and makes it alot easier to install. All you do is find a place to start and lay the rope on the gap. Then run the roller along pressing the rope into the gap while letting the rope feed in. A very simple process. I don't have the whistle in my truck, but seeing the gap, I can see it happening. Kinda like blowing across a flute.
    And I disagree with most of your comments. And frankly, I'm surprised to hear that you are (were?) a mechanic. Or maybe by "..20 years of auto repair" you are referring to working on your own vehicles.

In water, brake shoes may be somewhat better protected than discs, but they also trap water and disc rotor/pads do not. No offense, but disks being superior in water has been a given for the last...well, forever.

As far as heat, it is well known that disks dissipate heat faster (despite anecdotal stuff how often you burned your hand on disks and not drums). Sure, in most daily driving it might not matter that much, but when you REALLY need them - like long downhill stretches where you're braking repeatedly (& building up heat), drum brakes will lose their ability to stop your vehicle much sooner than disks. Believe me, I've owned some older cars where this has happened and it can get scary (and lets leave downshifting to slow your vehicle for another day).

I'm no engineer, but I suspect heat builds up much more in drum brakes (& results in their losing braking ability) because they are enclosed and not subject to air flowing over them for cooling. To understand how important this is, just think how most race cars have fresh air ducted to their brakes.

Sure, drum brake drums & wheel cylinders are cheaper to replace when they wear out but that's like saying crank-up windows are better because they're cheaper to replace than electric windows. How many race cars - the ultimate abuse vehicle, have drum brakes and not disks? None that I can think of. In the wet, repeated use etc. disks are just better. If drums were better, race cars would have them.

Toyota put drums on the back of the Taco because they're a bit cheaper to make, not because they're better. Personally, I'll take the disks for their superior stopping ability in all conditions and pay more when they need replacing.
  • tom21769tom21769 Member Posts: 63
    I'm in the market for a pickup to replace my 1994 F150.
    4WD is a must. I would prefer a smaller truck.
    My daughter will use it occasionally and wants automatic transmission.
    I do not need or want an extended or double cab.

I like the newer Tacoma models (2005 and newer), but it appears you cannot get automatic transmission with a 4wd regular cab. Right?
    What alternatives are out there?
    Try getting acquainted with the V-6 A5 '05 Toyota Access Cab with 4WD. It is compact yet roomy inside the cab area. The 4WD is on demand by turning a knob. 'try it, you'll like it'. Take your daughter for a demo ride. As one of the main drivers, she can share in a vote for/against it. The '05 and '06 are identical. In either case strongly consider Toyota's running boards for climbing in and to protect lower doors and sills against gravel chips. The running boards also act as guards when doors open alongside of you in the parking lot. Have fun and enjoy trouble free performance.
    If you have problems with brake fade on long hills, you need to look at the discs where 80% of the braking occurs. Also, I would say that big rigs are the ultimate brake abusers, and I have not seen too many running discs on their trailers. If drums can stop 80K, they can stop my Taco. Yes, Tacos are cheaper to buy with drums than discs. That is good. If I have to have discs, I will buy something with discs just like if I need to haul 10K I will buy something that can haul it.
    Regarding brake fading, I was referring to older (all drums) cars I owned years ago.

Another 'big rig' comparison? First, it was the guy thinking a stick was better than an automatic for towing because big rigs had manual transmissions, and now you're thinking drums are better because big rigs use them.

Hey, I'm all for exchanging views and thoughts, but if you're not informed on a subject, take a pass instead of using some lame 'big rig' comparison to our Tacoma's.

But lastly, and to use your own 80% of braking is done by the front brakes (which I do agree with), if drums are better, then why do all new cars/trucks have discs on the front and drums on the rear (if at all) where only 20% of the braking is done?
    So what you are saying is that since you went to discs on the front, you have not had problems, so there was no reason to add discs on the back? Then why spend more money to get them? It's a reason to dog the competition. We have it, but you don't. Just like the trucks with a rear locker as standard equipment. They know it will likely never be used, but they blew the money to get it, so you gotta make yourself feel better that you do have it.
    I never said that drums were better on the front of vehicles. I said they were more than adequate on the rear because they can lock up easily. The only time you will need more braking in the rear is if you have a heavy load, where I also said if you need more braking, get something with rear discs.
    As for the big rig comment, you mentioned some vehicle that abuses brakes, and I personnaly don't think you will find a vehicle that puts more miles with more weight than big rigs. I think discs would be good for them, but I have not seen anyone spend the money to design a disc system for them, so obviously the industry thinks they too are adequate or not worth the extra money to have.
    Having done several thousand brake jobs I think I might be able to consider myself informed on the brake subject. My opinion about having disc vs drum on the back is simply an opinion, but it is based on experience.
    All I know is that the new Tacomas stop faster than any medium or full size truck on the market. So I don't have a problem with the stock brakes. Check the stats for yourself.
  • madman6madman6 Member Posts: 2
    When do Toyota Tacoma 2007s come out? Are any major changes scheduled from the 2006?
    When they do come out, do the 2006s drop in price a few grand? How does that all work?

I'm looking to buy a crew cab 4x4 auto Taco this year.
    Cabela's had my WeatherTech floor liners (mats) shpped from the factory. I ordered a set for the front and a one piece seamless for the back of my '05 Access Cab. The fronts arrived in one week and after a two week wait I called Cabela's who followed up the delivery from the mfgr's shipping dock to and thru the UPS delivery system.
    According to the manufacturer there were to be two packages banded together, fronts and rear respectively. Preliminary investigation alleges somewhere along the line the banding was removed and the rear mat got ripped off. The good news is that Cabela's called me with a manufacturers' promise to ship in 3 days. Maybe I'll report a happy ending later this week. The moral of the story, Cabela's is reputable and uses its leverage when needed.
  • landscaprlandscapr Member Posts: 8
    I'm glad you and your dog are OK!

Sorry about your truck, but it did what it was supposed to do. Thanks for letting us know how well built the Tacomas really are.
  • vincewood30vincewood30 Member Posts: 48
    I have a '06 Prerunner with the V6 and 6 Speed manual in it. I noticed the other day while it's idling it sounds like 1 of the valves is tapping on it. The truck only has 2,700 miles on it. Anyone else experience this or knows what it could be?? I'm thinking about taking it to the dealer on Wednesday.
    Please use the search for the word "Tick". This has been discussed a thousand times. It's normal.
  • spicey33spicey33 Member Posts: 6
    I took it to the dealer to get checked out and as you suggested the problem was with the wheel being out of balance.
    Glad to hear rebalancing fixed the problem. Did the dealer put balance weights on both sides of the wheel? Or or on the outside only?
    I think we've pretty much exhausted the disc vs drum discussion. And, I even agree that drums are 'adequate' on the rear, they're just not the best alternative these days.

I also don't know of any truck with a standard rear-locker (maybe as part of a package however), but mine has already saved me a lot of work (or walk) twice.

Now then, I just wish that Toyota would have used the money they saved on the drum brakes to figure out a way to NOT have my DC 4x4 one full inch lower on the left side than the right! I know someone complained of this earlier but has anyone actually gotten Toyota to fess-up it's a problem and fix it?