Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma 2005+

Comments

• rb01rb01 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 DC SB, less than 1000 miles. Been to the dealer twice for balancing but it did not fix the problem.
  • ustazzafustazzaf Member Posts: 311
    What is the deal with the leaning tower of Toyota? Is it in the front, rear, both, always the same side for all complaints? I would like to see one. It must be noticeable or no one would be complaining. I have never seen one driving down the road leaning. I know it is very noticeable on S10s. If it is the rear, I would measure somewhere in identical places on both sides to verify it is indeed sagging (don't used the bumper, it may be installed incorrectly and causing the lean look). Most manufactures recommend measuring to the lower body panel just in front of the rear tire and just behind the front tire. Take pictures of the measurements and go to the dealer. Tell him you want it fixed or you want your money back. If they see you are prepared and have researched the problem, they will give you satisfaction.
  • gandalf1gandalf1 Member Posts: 62
    Regarding the leaning: I don't know if it happens on all models, or maybe just mine - a DC 4x4 shortbed. It is apparent when viewed from the rear of the truck, with the left side being lower than the right. With my truck it's almost an inch difference (7/8" to be exact). I read an earlier Edmund's post where some guy also brought it up. It may not sound like much, but it is very noticeable, and the kind of thing Toyota should have figured out.

Several people were complaining about it on another forum, with one of them attributing it to heavy items like the fuel tank and battery being on the drivers side (if so, still not acceptable). I plan on measuring it with a near empty gas tank (the 7/8" lean was with a full tank) and see if it makes a difference.

I haven't pursued it with the local Toyota dealer yet as I was hoping to 'help them' with the diagnosis with information from other Tacoma owner's with the same problem. So far, the only response that Toyota gave to one guy was that the lean was 'within specification' - a euphemism for 'yes, we screwed up but not so much that we think we need to fix it'.

After I take it in, I will post what the local Toyota dealer says.
    The gas tank theory does make sense. Gotta figure that adding 200 pounds to one side or the other will drop that side. Guess I will measure mine the next time the tank is empty and then after filling it. Putting a 200 pound person in the truck will drop it 7/8 inch.
  • slicksleeveslicksleeve Member Posts: 12
    I am currently trying to justify the price difference between the various option packages for the 2006 Tacoma. I want a 4WD Access Cab with limited slip and the towing package. 99% of my driving will be on the road. From a practical perspective, I believe the SR5 is the best bang for the buck. The Sport package is just too expensive and I'm not a big fan of the hood scoop. The off road package is my favorite looking truck though. Here is my question. Does the off road suspension provide a noticeably harsher ride then the SR5? Are the sport seats worth the extra money? I would appreciate any feedback.
    Slicksleeve?? I won't even ask.. :)

I didn't drive any Tacoma's without the off road package so I can't give a totally informed opinion, but I do have a DC 4x4 shortbed with the off road package and I don't think it rides rough at all. Somewhat firm, but not at all uncomfortable on a long drive. And definitely better than my old 82 Toyota 4x4 with the solid front axle. A friend has a new Ford F250 (3/4 ton and not the best comparison either..), but he thinks my Tacoma rides much better than his Ford. I would drive a truck with and without the package one after the other and decide (and I agree with you about the hood scoop on the sport pkg).

The sport seats are great, with quality fabric. So good in fact, that I decided to cover them up with Toyota front seat covers (toyotapartspeople.com) to protect them.

I also got the tow package. Although I was a bit miffed that it didn't have a trailer brake controller, it does have a nice plug-in for one under the dash, which made it a snap to install the brake controller myself. And the tow pkg. does come with some really good stuff like auxiliary engine oil and trans fluid cooler, plus the receiver hitch/7 pin connector, HD alternator and battery. This stuff must work pretty well as I just towed a travel trailer weighing an estimated 5,200 lbs up to 7,500 elevation (@45 MPH)without any problems. No engine overheating, or hot fluid smells of any kind.

One thing you might check before buying: My truck leans almost an inch to the left when viewed from the rear (ie., low on the drivers side). It doesn't sound like a lot, but it's more noticeable than it sounds and I plan to take it to the dealer soon to see what they say about it. Others with the same problem say it might be due to the gas tank and battery both being on the left side. Hmmmm, but other trucks don't lean and I'm sure some have the same heavy items to one side.

Best of luck, and let us know what you decide..
    I agree. I have the same setup (4X4 DC SB). Rides good in my opinion. Not as smooth as the 02 Tundra I traded in, but it is nice. The only thing I question is putting covers on the seats. Don't all of the TRD Off Road DCs come with airbags in the seats? If so, you could cause some major harm to yourself in a crash when the airbag misfires due to the cover. If you don't have the bags, then no big deal. I would cover mine too if I could because it makes a big difference at trade time.

Also, where did you measure the 1 inch difference? An inch at the rear bumper is alot different than an inch infront of the rear tire.
  • wooddorkerwooddorker Member Posts: 300
    "Here is my question. Does the off road suspension provide a noticeably harsher ride then the SR5? Are the sport seats worth the extra money? I would appreciate any feedback."

Since both questions involve totally subjective answers,a nd involve significant expense, DRIVE THEM YOURSELF. ;)

My answer is "slightly", and "yes", but your interpretation and body makeup are bound to be different. The larger, heavier, high-sidewalled tires on the TRD Off-Road also handle slightly different than smaller tires.
    I don't have the side airbags on my truck. I don't know if they're a stand-alone option or not, but they are definitely not part of the TRD Off Road package. But you're right, if someone has the side airbags, you don't want the seat covers!

I measured the left/right bed difference with the tailgate down, right about where the cable is bolted into the tailgate (when I checked it a while back, I measured the same distant from the bottom edge on both sides but it was close to this location). It measured about 29" from the left side to the ground, and 30" on the right. I know it doesn't sound like much, but it sure looks worse than a 1" difference. Since I've read here, and on another forum about people complained of the same thing, I know the problem isn't unique with my truck. The bottom line is that it just looks hokey, like it's been in a rear-end accident or something. And not the sort of thing you would expect from Toyota.
  • benzy1benzy1 Member Posts: 11
    My impressions...

The sr5 drives a bit choppy, and as most stock Toyota trucks, rebound on the suspension lags quite a bit, meaning the wheels dont contour the road as well.

The TRD Off-Road seemed stiffer than the sr5 and more sure-footed. I could definitely feel the benefits of progressive-rate springs soaking up the little stuff.

The TRD Sport seemed to have the stiffer suspension of the three, and this translated to vibrations being felt through the cabin. I don't understand why one would want a sport tuned truck with a 9+ inch ground clearance.

My recommendation is to get the TRD Off-Road, or the sr5 if the TRD options are too pricey. Though, this is very subjective, I drove an sr5 prerunner, 4x4 Access Cab TRD sport, 4x4 Access Cab TRD OR and settled on buying a 4x4 DC Off-Road without ever driving one.
  • slicksleeveslicksleeve Member Posts: 12
    Thanks for everyones input. I really wanted to see what the Tacoma experts had to say regarding the ride. Although I haven't had the oportunity to drive the TRD Off Road version, I have driven the SR5 4x4. I thought the ride was very pleasant. My current vehicle is a 95 2wd S10 and the suspension is very stiff (the 170k miles may contribute to this) so I'm looking for something a little more civilized. I'm just trying to justify the $1200 MSRP price difference between the SR5 and TRD Off Road packages.
  • iqbaldhillon2iqbaldhillon2 Member Posts: 116
    No a redesign isn't scheduled until 2010. Toyota Tacoma's were just redesigned last year. I think your thinking of the new Tundra's they come out early 2007.
  • wooddorkerwooddorker Member Posts: 300
    "I don't understand why one would want a sport tuned truck with a 9+ inch ground clearance. "

I'm glad I'm not the only one. But then again, people put 22 inch+ wheels and 35-40 aspect ratio tires on 4WD SUVs... :confuse:

Now, a drastically lowered 2WD sport truck! :shades:
  • geogeckogeogecko Member Posts: 225
    I've got a DC SB that I'm considering getting a truck bed cover for, but I haven't found one that I like yet.

I'm looking for a hard top, and would like for it to be easily removable, and possibly attach to the bed rails without requiring modification. I don't know if that is possible or not.

I'd also consider one of those roll tops that is more like a hard top when it's rolled out, but I can't remember who makes them.

Anyone got some names I should check into? Thanks!
  • coldfootcoldfoot Member Posts: 49
    Try trucktoys4less.com and check out the torza top. I have one on my 05 Access Cab and it looks great. Easy to put on roll up or take off. Works in existing side rails.
  • glen_hglen_h Member Posts: 11
    You might want to look at the Undercover hard tonneau (google undercover bed cover).

I have one on my DC LB and really like it. It attaches to the bed rails at the front and where the struts are about half way down the sides. With the cover off, you can still use the rails. Taking it off is about a 5 minute process, it does take two people, and it hangs on the wall.

Only real problem, if it is a problem, is that it only comes in black and isn't really paintable - it has a textured surface.

HTH

Glen
    I looked at the Torza top, but I believe it's more of a soft top, than a hard top, but it is nice that it folds up like that.

The Undercover top looks really nice. I downloaded the installation guide, and it looks fairly easy to install.

Black isn't a big deal for me, my truck is silver, so I've been pretty much buying black items to go with it.

One thing I haven't seen yet, is a hard top that allows you to mount a bike rack to the top of it. Do these exist? It might be a pain for me to have to remove this top to be able to take my mountain bike places. I wonder if something is made specifically for the Undercover top?
  • len888len888 Member Posts: 112
    My WeatherTech rear floor mat finaly arrived only to find it didn't fit the Access Cab. Cabela's, where I ordered it from, did some digging and told me that WeatherTech reports that although they list a rear mat for the Access Cab that in fact it is not available at ths time. WeatherTech has been drop shipping mats made for Double Cab models. What a disappointment. Cabela's proceeded to correct their ordering records and appled $59.99 credit to my account. I now await Cabela's UPS return shipping label. The WeatherTech front mats for the '05-'06 Access cab fit like a glove.
    I had my Undercover top installed by a local truck accessory dealer. It only took them about 45 minutes to get everything squared up and ready to go.

I also like the black cover. It looks good on my Impulse Red DC and goes really nice with the Westin tube steps I put on (talk about an easy installation).

I don't know if there's a rack that goes on top of the cover. I got the towing package, so I'd get a bike rack that fits into the receiver if I were to start hauling my bike around - I generally just lay it in the bed and close the cover for short trips.

Cheers,

Glen
    Thanks Glen.

So far, this seems to be the best looking, most flexible, easiest to install hard bed cover available.

I did some searching around, and it doesn't seem that there are standard, non-destructive bike racks for these covers. Basically, it requires you to buy a bed cover bike rack mount, which is basically a bolt-on accessory, which requires you to drill holes in the bed cover, and therefore void the warranty.

I'm not sure it's worth voiding the warranty, and the possibility that it could leak near the hole, to install something like this.

I haven't decided exactly what to do about this situation, but your hitch suggestion is probably the easiest solution. If I could remove the cover by myself, then it would be a now brainer. However, I'm pretty sure it would require two people to do so.

Do you have a picture you could post of your cover? I haven't found many pictures with the Toyota online.
  • boone88rrboone88rr Member Posts: 194
    Couple pics of undercovers in this thread.

http://toyotanation.com/forum/t137474.html
  • gymbogymbo Member Posts: 37
    Hello all,
    I've been away from this board for some time,but I now have a problem.My right tail light lens was broken,does any one know how to remove it,before I start removing bolts.Also,anyone have an idea what a new lens might cost?
    Open the tailgate and you will find 4 bolts along the back above and below the tailgate hinge cable/latch loop. Remove them and the assembly comes out. I would guess you can get a lense for around $60 bucks on EBAY.
    I have no doubt that there is something wrong with your truck, and if it is suspension problem I would demand a fix or replacement immediately. However, I cannot put any credibility in a tailgate measurement. it could be a tailgate hinge that shifts the rearend appearance (very minor fix), a body spacer (quite minor) or it could be suspension (could be major). You have to get a reading right in front or behind the rear tire either on the frame or lower side panel and use that as a starting point. I would prefer a frame measurement because that eliminates the body spacer/mount. Granted, you should not have to take things into your own hands, but I would rather spend 30 minutes doing research myself than several hours and many trips to a dealer that may or may not know what they are doing. I can't afford to take multiple days off for something I can help fix myself. I love my Toyota, and I don't take kindly to people talking smack about them without taking some responsibility themselves to help correct problems. I realize that even the assembly line people are human and may forget a spacer occasionally. Finally, don't take anything I say personnaly. I don't have any idea what level of mechanics anyone has, and the dealer should be able to find problems, but they are human too (and you can only get so much help for crappy wages). If you have done everything you know to do, then you have not dissed Toyota or me in any way.
    Also, don't talk smack about Nissan either. The last one I owned was a Datsun, but they are every bit the quality of Toyota.
    Try and focus a little ustazzaf. This isn't rocket science here. And don't be so paranoid, this isn't about you, or dissing your baby, it's about my truck (and others) not being built to the usual Toyota standard. You said previously that you were/are a mechanic. By any chance is it at a Toyota shop?

If the freaking truck looks like it's leaning to the left, and measurements from the left & right side of the bumper and tailgate (which are not connected to the same place) show that it is, isn't that enough - not to mention others have complained of the same problem?
  • pb2themaxpb2themax Member Posts: 471
    Wrong. There are 4 bolts but only TWO of them hold the tail light. The other two bolts hold something else. You want to undo the two smaller bolts. You'll need a 10mm wrench. Then once the bolts are out just pull out on the light real hard. The other side snaps into place with a plastic pin, but it pops loose when you pull on it.
    You're right, it isn't rocket science. It is about helping yourself. Had a guy come in the shop 6 days in a row with flat tires. We fixed flats free and triple A changed them free. It was easier for him to have us fix the end result then for him to pick up the nails from his driveway which were the root of the problem. When Triple A shut him off, he picked up the nails. Same way with most of the complaints. Spend a few minutes looking for the root of the problem, or waste a bunch of your time "getting the big guy". And, no, I have never worked for ANY new car dealer.
    Thanks. A few good shots there.

What is all the talk about LED's? Is there a light built into the lid or something? If so, how is it hooked up?
  • kiwi79kiwi79 Member Posts: 10
    Just wondering if anyone has modified (or knows of a mod)the exhaust system where it crosses over from the left to the right just behind the transmission cross-member. Is there an aftermarket exhaust that re-routes this section making it higher? The standard system in this original position is extremely vulnerable to being dameged when off-road as it sits lower than the cross-member. Mine has been scrapped by rocks and ditches already and i'm concerned that one day it could be severely damaged. A straight bolt-off/bolt-on option would be preferred. I look forward to any assistance. Rgds KIWI.
    Undercover put a light in the top of the cover around the middle of last year. It has three white superbrite LEDs, is battery powered and has a push on/push off switch.

The light is built right into the rear most cross member and gives off a surprising amount of light - good enough to see what's in the bed. The only thing that you need to do is remember to turn it off before you close the lid.

Cheers,

Glen
    Interesting. A nice addition to the cover. I think this is probably the one I will end up with.

For some reason, I forgot that my truck came with the roof rack already installed (for some reason, they didn't include it in the invoice either, but I didn't tell them that). So, if I really want to be able to keep the cover on most of the time, I can just get a bike rack for the roof rack. Although, it's quite a stretch to put something up there...
    Well, after thinking about it, the roof rack sounds like a good idea, but I just wonder how long it would take before I tried to back into the garage with my bike still mounted!

I'm probably better off going with the hitch mount version, plus it's easier to load and unload.
    If you are going with the hitch mount for the bike[s] why not go with a rigid folding cover? See www.Fold-A-Cover.com It's four panels operate and are separated by full length piano hinges. Mine is truly water tight. I have the Access cab with 6ft long bed. Under $700 and to me worth the price. The panels are two aluminum liner separated by one inch honeycomb that gives it both strength and no-rattle-heft. Has approx 800# load bearing to deflect wind shear effect without rattling at any driving speed.
    Is the material on top bare aluminum, or does it have a plastic type coating on it?

Those look pretty nice too, and looks like I could find one for about $560 for the DC SB. I think the Undercover has a better chance at being waterproof, but this is interesting. How do they waterproof the hinges?

Also, does it require drilling, and/or removal of the bed rail system?
    The Fold-A-Cover looks pretty nice.

Too bad these guys don't make one for the new Tacoma's.

www.peragon.com
    The aluminum is textured and anodized (black).

The full length hinges are engineered water tight.

The bed rail does not have to be removed. The Fold-A-Cover comes as a kit with two long rails that adhere to the top of the bed's flange from cab to tailgate. The cover mounts to these accessory rails with aircraft aluminum hinges and stainless steel bolts. It's all a mechnical lock design, no drilling involved.

I feared that any leaking would be either at the bed behind the cab where the first door rests, or along the raised tail gate where the fourth door rests. Eachof those contact areas involve a full length flexible flange gasket which turned out to be water tight in both driving rain and high pressure wash. Keep in mind that my long bed takes the four panel design. Your double cab is the short bed and may be three folding panels.
    I suggest that you ask Fold-A-Cover DIRECT about 2006 model availability. Also, ask if their design for 2005 models fit 2006 too. www.Fold-A-Cover.com To my knowledge there is no difference in the bed dimensions for the 2005 and 2006 model years. Again, ask the manufacturer for the spec fit directly. You might also ask the Toyota dealer about bed specs. Let us know. Good hunting.
  • jrichiejrichie Member Posts: 5
    I have an undercover on my 05 DC longbed. It takes me alone about 2 minutes to slide it off the truck, pick it up, carry it about thirty feet, and lean it against my garage wall. I'm not particularly strong, so it's not really a two-person lift. The shortbed cover should be a few pounds lighter. Oh, mine's almost completely waterproof, except for a little water that creeps in near the front during washings. I've never really looked under there after a hard rain.
    I'm about to do the 15k maintenance on my 05 DC LB Pre-Runner. Anyone know where the propeller shaft bolt is and what the torque setting should be?

Thanks,

Glen
    Well, Peragon has no plans for making a bed cover for the new 2005+ Tacoma. They said that the new rail system is just not compatible with their current design.

So, looks like it's back to the Fold-A-Cover or the Undercover. Thanks for all the comments on the Fold-A-Cover. That helps out a lot.

The only negative to just getting the solid Undercover, is for spontaneous hauling. If you didn't plan to go out and buy a refrigerator, you'd have to drive home first, remove the cover, and drive back. With the Fold-A-Cover, you could fold it up, and be done...
    Fold-A-Cover Questions:

Is the footman's loop (the loop installed on the tailgate) necessary if you have a lock on your tailgate? I asked about it, and didn't get a straight answer. Basically, I'm wanting to know if it is used as a structural support of any kind, or if it's just for tailgate locking purposes.

I just don't want to drill holes in anything. I am not really fond of having to use adhesive to attach the accessory rails, but it appears that's the only choice I have, for a folding bed cover.
  • wetsu6768wetsu6768 Member Posts: 1
    Can someone tell me how to remove the interior door panal on a 2005 Tacoma Extended cab? The latch is loose and I think it would be easier to do it myself than go to the dealer.
  • pekosrobpekosrob Member Posts: 25
    anyone know a good, throaty exhaust system for the 05-06 tacomas? i got a 2005 double cab with short bed. i saw one company, i think it was JBA, but i don't know anything about them, or if it's for the short or long bed. let me know, thanks.
    Good question about the spontaneous hauling; I asked that myself. What I want to know is, can you completely remove the fold-a-cover, or is that last foot-and-a-half just sitting out there, near the rear window? What do you do with that when you want to shove your refridgerator up against the back window? Maybe you'll have to pre-plan for that cover, too. Probably what sold me on the undercover was that when it's on, my tailgate is locked, too. Didn't need to spend $30 on the aftermarket tailgate lock. As for looks, got to admit the fold-a-cover is pretty nice. Tough choice.
    Yep, I wonder about that too. That is why I liked the Peragon idea, because it can be completely removed, so you could remove it, and lay it in the bed next to the frig, which is up against the window!

I'm going to try and sort through them again this weekend. With so many good choices, it's hard to eliminate them, and pick just one. The really nice thing about the Peragon that I like, is that if you needed to remove it for some reason, it would leave no trace that it's been installed, unlike some of the others. Not that that will be an issue, but what if something breaks, and they stop making it, and you have to install something else?
  • coldfootcoldfoot Member Posts: 49
    This is what I like about the Torza Top. It is soft vinyl but you can take it off and put in bed beside what you are hauling. Worked out great when I hauled a sofa.
    One more quick thought on this: the Undercover has two locks, one on each rear corner. It's tough to access the bed in a hurry, like when stowing your kid's baseball gear in a driving rain so you don't trash out the cab. Not a deal killer for me, but an occasional inconvenience nonetheless.
  • slabanumslabanum Member Posts: 18
    I have a 05 DBL Cab Tacoma TRD and have the stock RT BF Goodrich. Manufacturer's tire pressure on the driver's door side says 29 psi-front 32 psi-back. It looks low.

Brought it to dealership for 15K maint. and noticed that they set the tire pressure on all four tires to 34 psi.

What then is the correct tire pressure. I read on some posts in this forum that somebody was setting it to 34 to get better gas mileage. I noticed that my braking distance increased with 34 psi. Please advise.

Thanks.
  • boone88rrboone88rr Member Posts: 194
    It's physics.

By increasing the psi, you are decreasing the amount of surface area that the tire touches the road. Logically, less tire that touches the road, less resistance, better gas mileage.

Like the Michelin commercial (I believe) used to say, "brakes don't stop your car, tires do." The less surface area, the less friction and rolling resistance.

So ask yourself what's more important? Improved gas mileage and handling or having to remember to start braking 5 feet earlier?

I run all my tires at 34 psi. The handling gets really sloppy when the tires are inflated below that. I get a ton of "highway wandering". The slight gas mileage increase is a bonus. I haven't noticed a difference in braking distance but I can't say I've really put it to the test either. Scientifically, your observations make sense.

Play with the pressure a little bit. Maybe a happy medium would work better for you.
  • slabanumslabanum Member Posts: 18
    Thanks for responding. Braking distance then is the only drawback for setting it to a higer pressure rating other than the factory recommendation?

Somebody also posted that it is bad to set it to something other than the factory suggestion because the wheels themselves are rated to what toyota has stated on the driver's door jamb. Is there truth to this?