Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma 2005+

Comments

• boone88rrboone88rr Member Posts: 194
    Well the other drawback is a stiffer ride.

I don't know about them being rated because of the wheels. There are 3 different types of wheels for this truck and all of the psi recommendations are the same.

Car and truck designers work with tire manufacturers during the design and testing phase of a vehicle. Together they come to a conclusion as to what should be the recommended tire pressure for your vehicle for maximum safety and intended performance.

I don't think it's necessarily "bad" to have slightly higher air pressure in your tires. I think the recommendations are normally on the cautious side. They cater more toward comfort than toward performance.
  • troutdoorsmantroutdoorsman Member Posts: 17
    Tire pressure also factors into how the tires wear. Too much tire pressure will cause the tread towards the middle of the tire to wear more and vise versa. When inflated at the recommended pressure, the entire tread is touching the road causing the tire to wear evenly.
    Yeah but your talking about over inflating the tire manufacturer's rating.

Over inflating the car/truck rating doesn't even come close to rounding the tires.

My tires, even at 34 psi, still bulge at the bottom indicating that the entire tread of the tire is still in contact with the road.
  • len888len888 Member Posts: 112
    The footman's loop on the Fold-A-Cover's last panel which rests shut on top of the tail gate has nothing to do with locking in that position. However, when you accordion fold the cover back toward the cab that footman's tab as you put serves as a point to grab and lift the last panel AND primarily to undue the loop and secure the 'bundle of panels, which are 'stacked' in the open position. I'm not the world's best description artist for these sort of time and motion actions. I hope you understand my descriptive function of the 'footman's loop'.
    I too have the Fold-A-Cover for my long bed Access Cab. The cover is not really intended to remove completely. I have had no issues with 4x8 sheets of plywood or carrying my riding mower to the shop and other payloads. When hauling these sort of long loads, I put a 4x4x3/4 sheet of plywood over the lowered tailgate to keep load bearing distributed into the truck bed. A refrigerator strapped to a appliance dolly and laid down into the truck bed would be no problem. Use cinching straps to secure the load to the bed. It's a case by case decision if and when to tie a red kerchief or flag to the back of the truck load. Chock the wheels of the tractor your hauling, or the appliance dolly.
  • slabanumslabanum Member Posts: 18
    I agree with you on this this, at 34 it looks like it is still low. This is the post that I was refering to and it was the Rim rating at post #5536

Thanks for the responses.
  • ustazzafustazzaf Member Posts: 311
    There are alot of opinions about tire pressure. I had the same problem with the dealer over inflating my tires on my Tundra. I could tell within the first block. It rode like a lumber wagon. I worked in the tire industry for about 20 years, and I can tell you that the benefits of modifying the tire pressure do not make up for the damage you will cause (extra wear on the shocks, harder jolt to truck overall). Tires will wear more on the inside if they are over inflated. They will still bulge at the bottom, but there is less pressure on the outside, especially at speed. Braking will be decreased with more pressure (may not be a big difference). Most rims are rated atleast 44PSI, so that is likely not an issue. Should be posted on the rim (usually inside) if it is something you need to know. Probably the biggest mistake I saw was people looking at the sidewall to determine pressure. Of course if the tire says 35, but your vehicle reccomends 40, you have to go with 35. Of course I saw people come in with 70 in one tire and 18 in another too. Scary. My professional opinion is that the manufacture has determined the best pressure to compliment the weight of the vehicle, suspension setup and projected vehicle use. The Suzuki Samari of years ago had a recommended pressure of 18 if my memory serves me right. It was light (very light), didn't have room for alot of people or cargo, and didn't have the ponies to pull much. My buddy had one that he ran 32 in. When he lowered the pressure it made it a different truck. The Tacoma is probably set up for 2 adults and a couple kids in the back with an occasional load of groceries in the back, cause that is what most are used for. If you plan to tow regularly or haul extra cargo daily, you may want to adjust accordingly. One final note. At about 40K, my Tundra tires were almost perfect wear wise running the 26 and 29 the manufacture recommended.
  • taco06trdtaco06trd Member Posts: 2
    I've got a 2006 Tacoma DC TRD/Off-Road. It has approx. 11,000 miles on it (none off-road). I used a tape measure from the center of the wheel straight up to the fender. In front the left side is 3/4" lower: L/20", R/20-3/4". In back the left side is 1/2" lower: L/22", R/22-1/2". Do you think this is a torsion bar adjustment issue? Does anyone know how to adjust the torsion bar on a 2006 Tacoma?
  • taco06trdtaco06trd Member Posts: 2
    Have you taken your truck in yet regarding the lean issue? I've got an '06 Taco, dbl-cab, short bed and the front left is 3/4" lower while the rear left is 1/2" lower. Let me know what the dealer says... Thanks.
  • nytaco05nytaco05 Member Posts: 13
    Im new to this site, but not new to the TOYOTA Family. Well I have a 2005 taco DBL CAB LB SR5, and I wanted to add some extra power. I already added a Borla CatBack exhaust system, which increase my gas mileage from 300 miles on a full tank to 314-320 miles per tank as well gave me some extra HP. I'm not sure how many Horses, but I CAN feel the difference. I just ordered a K&N 77 series cold air intake, it was reviewed to add an extra 10-12hp on 05-06 tacomas. I should receive by weds this week :). I was thinking of making somemore upgrades, but I am having a hard time finding stores with anything that I need. JBA makes headers, but I'm not too sure about their products. Is there anything else available for the 05+ tacos? Am I looking in the wrong places?
  • geogeckogeogecko Member Posts: 225
    The loop (footman's) is the part that is screwed into the tailgate, not the part attached to the last panel of the Fold-A-Cover.

I think the tab that goes into the footman's loop is fine, I'm not concerned about that, it's just I don't really want to drill holes in the tailgate, and add that loop there.

I guess it's not a big deal, and I'd probably get over it, but, it's just another place for rust to build up, and also adds a place for something to get caught on when the tailgate is down.
  • vincewood30vincewood30 Member Posts: 48
    Do you plan on racing this truck?? Instead on doing all the upgrades to it why not just drop in 1 of those new 5.7L V8 engines that are coming out in the 07 Tundras. Then you'll have the fastest Tacoma of anyone out there. You used to be able to put a V8 in the Ranger so why not the Tacoma??? Just a thought.....
    sounds like a good idea, but i wasn't trying to engine swap. A V8 would drain my tank out alot quicker, and long trips would require alot more pit stops. I want more power, and my method to get to it is just perfomance upgrades. I hope they come out with some new stuff for the 05+ Tacos.

Has anyone tried putting in a set of JBA Headers in their 05+ tacos? How many horses would they beef up?
    Not much. A member on toyotanation dynoed his truck after removing the second cats, installing new headers and a high flow exhaust. He gained 10 HP.

You want real power? Look into the URD supercharger (urdusa.com). Maybe someday TRD will get off there [non-permissible content removed] but until then the only real option is URD. The rest are high priced mods with minisicule return.
  • kendran4kendran4 Member Posts: 2
    I have the exact same problem....New 06 access cab. Drove skiing twice this winter paved road all the way with some gravel for the ice. Now have significant paint chips in front of rear flared fenders...Terrible design!!! Since I can't afford to repaint the dang thing every time I drive it on a little gravel I need to find some way to prevent further damage, or sell the truck...Is there some clear protective tough product that could be "glued" to that small section? Running boards are also an option, but my opinion is they are not that attractive on these trucks. Any help would be very much appreciated!!!!
  • gandalf1gandalf1 Member Posts: 62
    No, I haven't taken my truck to the dealer about the leaning problem yet. I will report what they say when I do.
    I fully expect it to be a hassle as I'm sure they will tell me some BS about it being 'within specifications', but I hope not.

I used to have a BMW that had a problem with both front power seats sliding forward about an inch under heavy breaking, with a loud 'clunk' when they stopped. The service manager at BMW gave me the 'within specifications' excuse. Uh, right..
  • gandalf1gandalf1 Member Posts: 62
    Sorry for the brain-fade, make that 'under heavy braking'...
  • raswankraswank Member Posts: 56
    I am curious as to why you only get 300 miles to the tank. I have a 2005 Tacoma L/B 4 door v-6 4x4 TRD Sport and get almost 380 to the tank. So I would think apparently your upgrades are doing nothing for you. I drive 70 mph daily to and from work. And once got just about 400 miles. I replaced the 17 inch wheels with 265/65 R17 with the 16 inch wheels that come on the TRD off-road and added BF Goodrich 265/75 R 16 tires that are very heavy and aggressive. Check your truck or recalculate your mileage something seems wrong
  • hydrogenflowhydrogenflow Member Posts: 6
    Do you know if it's a good idea to fill your tires up slightly under the recommended PSI, or right at the recommended PSI? I was wondering if it might have better grip if it was slightly under.
    Well it took about a year for the squeak to appear but now it is here. Can anyone tell me the technical service bulletin number, and how I go about addressing it with the dealer? Thanks for any time that is given.
    I think I noticed the same thing with my truck. I've had it about 1.5 years now, and I was in the back of it getting my bike out, and noticed that the springs were squeaking really bad. Is that a fixable problem? I just assumed it was standard with leaf springs.
  • harleyroadhawgharleyroadhawg Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 tacoma DBL cab springs squeak also and the dealer couldn't fix it so they found a bulletin with replacement springs that are not suppose to squeak. I have not gotten them yet as they come by truck.
    Yes, the footman's loop is screwed into the tailgate to capature the tab on the Fold-A-Cover. I misunderstood youur reference to 'loop' to be the one affixed to the Fold-A-Cover for securing the panels when all are folded.

I drilled the holes for the metal footman bracket(loop) as per template provided. Then with kids watercolor paint brush I prime painted the holes. Then inserted plastic screw-holders the same as one puts in sheetrock. Looks and works great. Easy to back out the screws to remove the footman bracket.
    I keep cold tire pressure at 33lbs. My dealer has this noted and does check it at each 5K rotation. My tires are wearing absoluetly even. I pay attention to balancing also.Presently have 17K mileage on the '05 Access Cab.
    well I'm a heavy footer, and I tend to drive pretty hard, around 75-95 MPH, sometimes a lil more(between trip from VA to NY). I usually fill up the tank when ever its around the 1/8 of a tank mark, I never let the E Light turn on(just a habit). Thats how I get my numbers when it comes to MPG.

As far as adding more power, I decided to try the JBA headers. Hopefully that would increase my HP n not tamper with the fuel economy. I'm 100% pleased with my truck and I have lots of projects planned for it.
  • pb2themaxpb2themax Member Posts: 471
    Borla, TRD, Magnaflow, Banks, and a couple other companys make cat-back exhaust systems for our trucks. JBA is the only company that makes aftermarket headers, BTW. The Banks system has a 3" diameter and has a nice sound, in my opinion.

The short bed doublecab and the access cab are both the exact same length. It should be easy to find an exhaust system for your truck unless you have a regular cab or a double cab long bed.
    Get Toyota running boards to stop stones from striking the rocker panels and rear fenders.
    I agree with raswank on fuel tank range. My SR5 v-6 auto '05 Access Cab with Fold-A-Cover closed has a full tank range of 390 miles.
    My driving conditions are 70-75mph on the interstate which includes mountain climbing here in the northeast. Predominant gas grade is 87 octane and my A/C is always 'on'.
  • pb2themaxpb2themax Member Posts: 471
    I get over 400 miles out of a tank with my 4x4 V6 DC. Just keep it under 70mph and stay consistent with your speed. It is better to use your A/C than to roll down your windows at highway speeds. Rolling down your windows increases drag.
    I'll to do that. I do tend to speed alot, and I love hearing the truck rev up as I increase my speed.
    "....love to hear that truck rev up..."

Just call that a REFINED GROWL. Keeping a steady speed on the highway does help optimize mpg. As in setting the speed control. Keep a truckin'.
  • lf05tllf05tl Member Posts: 16
    Hi, just got a new 2006 tacoma quad cab v6. What octane gas do you guys reccomend? Dealer said regular. In the book it sounds like you can use any. Service guy said any and reccomended the middle grade gas. What do you think. Also has anyone taking off the TRD SPORT decal off side of bed. Whats the best method with out damaging paint. Thanks. Awesome truck by the way.
    If you check back through the archives you will see many answers for your questions. As for the fuel, I have found the best fuel mileage comes from the lowest octane. Others may have seen different results, but 95% go with lower than premium. If you are going to load the truck you may need to go higher for highest power. I like the decals, but plenty of people have written about how they removed them..
  • tokyojoetokyojoe Member Posts: 13
    I need your advise on which tonneau cover I should choose for my 06 Tacoma's 6ft bed(4x2,4cyl,Access Cab model with the factory installed bed rail system)as I'm so confused because so many seem to be available but only one(Undercover) clearly says it would fit one with the rail system(or multi trak system?).
  • jbb571jbb571 Member Posts: 3
    I have an 05 Prerunner Double Cab. At around the 7500 mile interval I had the wheels rotated and balanced. From that time on, every time I brake, I get what the dealer calls a "harmonic" and it sounds HORRIBLE. They say that there is nothing that can be done about it. Is anyone else having that problem or does anyone know how I can correct the problem on my own?
  • mcpetemcpete Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2006 Tacoma in black and it had the stickers on the back,,,
    Make sure you get the stickers off as soon as possible so no fading occurs!!!
    It was warm out and I started them with my fingernail and then grabbed it and pulled at a 45 degree angle and the sticker peeled right off. I used a little goo be gone on the glue to clean that off.. Make sure you clean well after and wax the area.... It looks 100 times better... Can't wait until I get my Bars for the front...
    Love the truck..
    Thanks for the replys from all. Im going with the middle grade gas. Im peeling the sticker off tommorrow.
    I would go with the undercover. I ordered mine and just got it. I didnt put it on yet because from shipping some of the bolts and washers were missing. Box looked roughed up but everything in box looked good except missing bolts. Ther sending them out monday. The quality of the cover and parts looks excellent. I think when its on its a class piece. No drilling or cutting.
    If you have a way to, check the tourque setting on your lug nuts. You mentioned the noise started right after the balance and rotation. Did you have the dealer do the rotation or a tire shop?

Either way, they might have banged your lugs on with a impact gun and overtourqued them. I bet they warped your rotors creating the "harmonic" (fancy word for warped).

Check the setting, if it's over 85 ft-lb. Take your truck back to wherever they did the rotation and make them pay for new rotors.
    Thanks SO much for the advice, boone! The dealer is the one that did the rotate/balance and they of course were the first to say that they can resurface the rotors, but that the noise would eventually come back. He did say that I needed to find an empty road and slam on the brakes from 30 MPH and that would take care of the noise for a little while. Gotta love that! :confuse:

I dont have a way of checking the torque setting, however, I will speak with the dealer and express my concerns to them.

Would a resurface of the rotor be sufficient or do I need to have them replace them altogether? The truck is a year old with only 9000 miles on it and I plan on keeping it for the long haul.
    Go to "Search For Discussion" at the top of this home page and type in Tonno or Tonneau cover for many varied experiences from us Taco owners.

I got the rigid folding cover from Fold-A-Cover for my 6 ft bed(V6 Auto Access Cab).To see a moving display online, go to www.Fold-A-Cover.com No drilling required and mine is water tight in driving rain, snow, and occasional car wash. Expensive, but worth it. After seeing the online moving display, and if further interested contact the manufaturer Fold-A-Cover for a factory direct price which thy have allowed in event there is no dealer franchise near you.
    After using different octanes for finding the best mpg, I settled on 87. My average has been ranging from 21.7 to 22.1 mpg over a range of conditions for my 2005 V6 Auto Access Cab. 89 and 93 didn't add anything. I use reputable gas stations only known for properly maintained tanks.
    Resurfacimg the rotor may work as a band-aid for the problem IF they turn the rotors on the vehicle it should get a decent cut. However, many rotors come from the factory with only one cut possible before tossing them for new ones. Do you want to waste that cut on something that is not your fault? Even if the rotors are thicker, you are still taking a cut away. Additionally, it is the center of the rotor not the area that gets rersurfaced that gets warped if over torqued. Therefore, the center will still be warped, the surface will just be cut to compensate. Any time a rotor is warped (no matter the reason), I suggest replacement. If it got hot enough to warp on it's own, is is weaker.
    I've had my 2005 Taco for about 1.5 years now, and on several occasions (also a friend noticed), I've walked by the front of the truck, and smelled that sweet smell like antifreeze.

It only seems to happen after the truck has been running for a while, and I've parked it.

I just wonder if this is normal or not, as I have never seen a leak, nor have I had to add any fluid.

Could it be that I'm just smelling pressure relief to the reserve tank or something?

TRD STICKERS:
    Oh, and about the TRD stickers, I used a hair dryer to help remove mine, and then the goo gone, as someone else stated. By the way, my truck is 1.5 years old, and that's when I removed the stickers...no fading at all on the paint.
    I just put my mud flaps up for sale on eBay. I am selling the fronts and backs seperately. I'm sure they will go for less than the $160 the stealer is asking for them new. Good chance to pick up an extra set if you do a lot of off-roading or if you've been wanting to add front flaps to your PreRunner.

http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZbooneQ2dtang
    Has anybody put the 77 series filter system on there 2005 Tacoma truck and liked it. Also did you add a catback exhaust with it.
  • drecat57drecat57 Member Posts: 1
    Does any know a good exhaust system for 2006 Tacoma that will provide a nice agressive tone, something like a muscle car or something. But also improves the power?
    Thanks for the information. I just spoke with the service manager who agreed to replace the rotors under warranty. I really appreciate your help!!!
    Has anyone used the 2.0 series Coilovers on there 2005 and Tacoma 4x4?
  • eaglegeagleg Member Posts: 87
    At 15,000 miles my 2005 D/C 4X4 L/B started making a clunk on braking to a stop and start.You could feel it in the floor and hear it.The more I did it the worse it got.Convinced it was the brakes or driveline,I pulled wheels,inspected everything to no avail.Had my wife drive and brake while I sat in the bed and discovered the noise was coming from under the front passenger side.Upon further investigation I found the noise was caused by the optional oval tube steps.It appears as though the bolts had loosened a bit over time,and when braking, body flex was causing the noise.Anyone with the oval tubes and the unexplained clunk might want to check the tube step mounting bolts.I have been unable to duplicate the sound since tightening.I'll keep my fingers crossed.