Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Tacoma 2005+

Comments

• Options
    pumadacufspumadacufs Member Posts: 2
    Went to 4wheelparts and they told me not to worry about it, a lot of trucks are off as far as L vs R fender height, etc. However, I wasn't satisfied and went to a local mom and pop shop here in town. The owner told me the same: Mid-sized truck, weaker suspension than full-size trucks, so gas tank may cause slight "crookedness." Anyway, I measured the height from ground to fender on a half tank of gas, and wouldn't you know my inch + difference dropped to a half inch difference. I guess carrying 200+ extra pounds on one side would do that. I'm done buggin'.
  • Options
    dredoggdredogg Member Posts: 7
    I am so glad to hear from other CROOKED tacoma owners because CLEARLY this is a QUALITY CONTROL ISSUE!!!!!!! If there was QC I would not be writing this on this website. I have been to several toyota dealerships and half of the tacoma's were CLEARLY CROOKED!!!! Not all of them are CROOKED but I just happened to get one of them. I was told that also about the slight lean on the drivers side but NOT on a NEW truck!!! It's supposed to happen over time. I was also told that the only manufacture that can MOVE the rear axle is GM. What the dealership did to my rear axle is UNSAFE because my axle can MOVE because of the ELONGATED ALIGNMENT PIN WHOLE. I even have it on VIDEO and I will put it on UTUBE and title it THIS IS WHAT YOU GET FROM toyota!!!
  • Options
    alkanalkan Member Posts: 3
    Hi, anyone knows about the transmission fluid change interval on a 2006 Tacoma V6 5-speed auto PreRunner? There is no dip-stick, & I have checked with 3 different dealerships in Dallas Fort Worth area, & I have got 3 different answers – some say 60k miles for transmission fluid replacement, some say 100k, & some say never.....

Thanks.
    Al.
  • Options
    wsuiterwsuiter Member Posts: 6
    i have been told that it is a sealed transmission and the only time that you need to change it is if there are problems and you have to open it for any reason.
  • Options
    alkanalkan Member Posts: 3
    Thanks wsuiter: It does say in my maintenance booklet to replace fluid at 60k, but some have mentioned that there is synthetic fluid in it & that is long lasting. But, this is all by word of mouth, have not seen it written anywhere though.

Al.
  • Options
    geogeckogeogecko Member Posts: 225
    Make sure it's the maintenance book that came with your Tacoma, and not the generic one that all the dealerships have.

They tried to change mine at 30K, and when they couldn't find the dip stick, realized that it was too early.

The nimrods at the dealerships appear to have no clue, or just don't check, when the real service schedule is.

I am done doing business with one dealership, because they flushed the radiator at 30K, (a 100K service), but didn't service the limited slip diff (which is a 30K service). After complaining, then complaining to Toyota, they never offered to correct the issue, so they lose my business for the life of the truck.

Next time, when I go in, I will take a copy of the service book in, and tell them to do what it says, anything extra they do, they can pay for themselves.
  • Options
    hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    Check out these nice looking painted running boards for the Tacoma Doublecab....

http://www.google.com/base/a/1559709/D1032592540090741305
  • Options
    The bottom of those would be chipped up within a year...unless they have some type of plastic undercoating.
  • Options
    If by warning light, you mean the Maint Required light, then just hold down the trip button (by the odometer) put your key in the ignition, and turn it to the setting just before starting the engine.

You'll see either 000000 00000 0000 000 00 0 and then nothing, or it is dashes ------ ----- ---- --- -- - and then nothing. I always get mine and my wife's car confused. So you have to hold it down until the mileage is finally displayed, which is something like 10 seconds or so.
  • Options
    buffalonickelbuffalonickel Member Posts: 113
    I just checked with our service department about changing transmission fluid and they stated that Toyota put in what they called "world transmission fluid" which you never have to change. Since there is no dipstick, if you find transmission fluid on your garage floor, you won't be able to tell if you have enough fluid left to not ruin your $5000 transmission.

B
  • Options
    slicksleeveslicksleeve Member Posts: 12
    I have decided, after a lot of research, to purchase a new 2007 Tacoma. I have been following this discussion for about the past year and have gained some helpful insight as to which model I would like to get. I have decided to get either the 2wd Access Cab w/ SR5 package or the 2wd Access Cab w/ OR package.

I currently have a 95 S10 2wd with the standard rear differential. If I go with the OR version I get the locking differential (which I assume locks via some push button?). If I go with the SR5 I would get the limited slip differentials. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of both of these differentials? I live near St Louis MO so I don't really see the need for 4wd (and spending $3000 more) and I think either of these differentials would be a huge improvement over my S10.

Can anyone tell me if the TRD seats in the OR package are worth the extra money? Is the OR suspension quite a bit stiffer then the SR5? Is the suspension difference because of the shocks or also the spring rates?

I appreciate your input.
  • Options
    rhscoachrhscoach Member Posts: 1
    First of all I really appreciate your help in advance. OK, the dealer has a 2005 White DC 4x4 sport package, hard tonneau cover tacoma with 83000 miles. Sticker was 21,500, he came down to 20,288, i offered 19,500 and they are supposed to get back to me in the morning. What do you guys think, is this too much. Truck is in excellent condition, looks new, and i was told a female nurse drove it over 100 miles each way to work on the interstate. A really nice truck but it did have a slight tick when i pushed the gas that i thought may have been an exhaust leak, what do you guys think about this price, i would really appreciate your help, thanks again
  • Options
    ltmarltmar Member Posts: 45
    I only paid $27K for my '06 TRD Sport. I can't imagine paying that much for a truck with the best miles used up.
  • Options
    bbarian333bbarian333 Member Posts: 4
    ">1) most 05+ tacomas tick. 2) price seems kinda high for 83,000 miles.heres a tip, check out kellybluebook.com, input the truck, its miles and such, and see what the value is. I paid 25,000 for an 06 access cab ,prerunner with the trd sport package, tow pkg, and 6 disc cd.90 miles to get it to the dealer i bought it from 3) i bet the dealer doesn't even know who the previous owner was. they always say the miles are highway miles.
  • Options
    Yes, the infamous "little old lady" line...

She just drove it to and from work, never saw a second of off-roading at all (lol, then why was it a TRD Off-Road, with a 6" suspension lift, 36" tires, and a winch)...
  • Options
    glen_hglen_h Member Posts: 11
    I had to make the same decision when I bought my '05 DC PreRunner. I went with the SR5 package (SR5 #8, code 'SJ').

Since I do more on-road that off-road driving, I didn't really need the stiffer suspension (a little to firm for my taste) and I didn't think the seats were much different than the standard ones. Also, the SR5 has limited slip instead of the locker, so that wasn't a factor for me either.

In the end, I took some of the money I saved going with the SR5 instead of the OR and got the towing package which, IMO, a much better use of the money (oil & tranny coolers, heavy duty battey and alternator).

HTH,

Glen
  • Options
    dosteendosteen Member Posts: 1
    So I buy this brand new Tacoma and is has moderate road noise around town, and I can live with that, it's the access cab version, and it's a truck after all... But when I take my first road trip and get out on the interstate around 75 mph or so, this whistling noise starts, and continues unless I slow down. Depending on the direction of the wind, this begins at somewhere between 70 and 85, and once it starts, it continues until I slow down, it's not possible to accelerate through this. So I talk the the Toyota dealership and they have zero information for me. After my third or fourth road trip I start getting really annoyed, finally find this message board the other day, and read about putting window screen spline material in the channel of the front windshield seal. And it works like a champ! So if you're having this problem, spend 3 dollars on spline material and use your hands (not a screwdriver or spline tool) to force the spline into the center channel that runs up the sides and across the top of your windshield seal. And negative kudos to Toyota for allowing this to happen, and not addressing this already.
    (Now I love my truck again!)
  • Options
    Worked for me, but the gap was larger than the largest window screen spline I could find, so I used some waterproof silicone window sealant, and put a thin bead of that down in the channel, then installing the spline on top of that. (It fell out after about two days just installing it the way you describe, but I guess it depends on how much of a gap you had to begin with.)

I also only did it on the top, not the sides. It appears that the problem is that the flap against the glass ends up flipping back, and vibrating with the wind.
  • Options
    mewmmwmewmmw Member Posts: 4
    Just purchased an '07 Tacoma long bed/quad cab with the limited slip differential option. When I asked the dealer about how it operates, I was first told there should be a button on the console to activate and then deactivate the feature. Subseqently they came back and told me it was a 'fully automatic' feature and hence no activiation button. I then looked in my handy-dandy referernce guide under limited slip and low and behold they said that some models "if equipped" would have the button. Anyone else gone through a similar experience?
    Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    IIRC, there are two types of limited slip, there is an AutoLSD, and then another type of LSD. I think the AutoLSD is more common, and what I happen to have on my truck. The AutoLSD does not have a button to operate. Also, the locking differential will have a button, because it is only supposed to be used < 5 MPH.

Most likely, you have the AutoLSD, which does not have a button. If you want to just verify that you have one, you can usually look on the rear differential, and you'll see a sticker or label that says LSD, or only use LSD oil, something similar...
  • Options
    glen_hglen_h Member Posts: 11
    Like geogecko says, you've probably got the 'auto' limited slip rear end. IIRC, the locker rear end comes with TRD Off Road (and maybe the Sport) package and the auto LSD is on the Pre-Runners and some SR5 packages.

HTH,

Glen
  • Options
    Correct, except I think in some cases, the Sport comes with the auto, at least, mine did, anyway...
  • Options
    sevigny17sevigny17 Member Posts: 6
    So here's something that I have never seen (or heard) before. When I turn on my left blinker there is a low sounding (volume) high pitched beep that I hear. It only happens when I use the left blinker, never with the right. It just started about 4 - 5 days ago.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?
  • Options
    spacemarkspacemark Member Posts: 1
    You never have to change the transmission fluid on the 2006 Tacoma. :)
  • Options
    slabanumslabanum Member Posts: 18
    I have the 2005 Tacoma now for 2 years and the right brake light went off? Is it covered by warrant?

Thanks.
  • Options
    My initial guess would be, probably not, but it's really not that hard to change...it's like a $2-4 bulb, but if it's worth it to take it into the dealership, and have them have your truck for a couple hours, then by all means.

There are two hex head screws on the metal covers (open the tail gate) that you have to remove, then you yank really hard on the light housing, towards the rear. Be careful not to move rearward too far after it comes loose. You should know what to do from there.

I changed my blinkers and brake lights to all 3W LED lights a while back.
  • Options
    slabanumslabanum Member Posts: 18
    Thanks mate!
  • Options
    Just make sure it's the right two screws. I believe there are either 3 or 4 screws in the general area.

IIRC, it's the two rear most screws, one on top, and one on the bottom.
  • Options
    tsmith16tsmith16 Member Posts: 16
    Has anyone had this to happen? After driving about ten miles at about 65 or 70 mph I brake to a quick stop and the engine acts like the fuel is being shut on & off. Once I continue to drive it runs fine. This has happened twice. My truck is an 07, V6 with 8k miles.
  • Options
    blutacblutac Member Posts: 27
    If you still have a warranty :) the bulb will be covered under it.
  • Options
    jmarquezjmarquez Member Posts: 2
    I have an 2006 Tacoma Pre-runner just 9 months out of the dealer and I have the same hard start problem. In the morning, when it has not been started since the day before, the engine takes a long tiem to start. Some times I have to turn the key a second time and then its starts. The rest of the day is starts just fine. I don't think it is cold weather or anything, since I live in Puerto Rico.

I took it to the dealer a few months ago, and of course they said there was nothing wrong. I read in a few threads in this webpage about the same problem with 03-04 Tacomas (see message #1976 at the Toyota Tacoma: Problem and Solutions), and it was somehting about the "fuel suction assembly". Do you know of any TSB's regarding this problem for '06 Tacomas or do you know what could be wrong?
  • Options
    blutacblutac Member Posts: 27
    The Tacs with the V6 are designed to run on regular unleaded (87 octane) fuel. You may use premium fuel but the increase cost per gallon (or litre) does not offest the increase in performance. To get a cheap increase in performance I would recommend a drop in K&N filter and a stainless steel aftermarket cat back system. An aftermarket cold air intake system would only be an additional cost as the system is already of the cold air variety.
  • Options
    skibummerskibummer Member Posts: 4
    Amzoil says that there is 8 luberacation spots,anybody know where they are located? 4 wheel drive 4 cyl. :confuse:
  • Options
    ltmarltmar Member Posts: 45
    I don't remember how many spots, but I do know that the U-joints have grease ports.
  • Options
    pb2themaxpb2themax Member Posts: 471
    Amsoil is wrong. There are 5, not 8. Only 4wd's have grease fittings. They are only on the driveshafts. There are 3 zirks on the rear driveshaft and 2 zirks on the front shaft. No steering joints to grease. PreRunners don't have anything to grease.
  • Options
    pb2themaxpb2themax Member Posts: 471
    Check it out. I love my train horns. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vFB3YKsHcs
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention it is an 05 model,is it the same 5 fittings?
  • Options
    PB has an '05.
  • Options
    Thanks again.
  • Options
    PB, that's insane. I wish I needed an air compressor for some reason, so I could justify putting one of those in mine.

I checked out your thread on it (appears very popular), then checked out Hornblasters. I just want to know, did the cop write him a ticket after he blasted him while checking his signal??? If I was a cop, I wouldn't know if I would be ticked off, or ROFLOL...of course, I probably would have soiled myself if I was as close as he was! :P
  • Options
    offroader3offroader3 Member Posts: 37
    hi i would just like to know if anybody tried to pull out the front driver side door,i think my speaker is loose and could hear some annoying sound with small bumps,any detailed instruction would help...
  • Options
    waterloggedwaterlogged Member Posts: 1
    If you have had the Steering vibration at speeds of 60-70mph can you tell me what package is on your Tacoma (TRD Off-road, Sport, SR5, etc.) and the size a type of tires? Also, if you have replaced your OEM tires and or wheels what have you found that solved the vibration? Thanks!!
  • Options
    ap47ap47 Member Posts: 11
    has anybody come across a dash kit for an '05 Taco that actually matches the O.E.M. ? By that I mean replicates the silver finish and also has the neat high tech 'machined' look that is duplicated on the plate around the shifter..The schoshe kit is just a plain grey and looks cheap to me and also loses the aesthetic appearance of the O.E.M. Thanks..
  • Options
    nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I changed my blinkers and brake lights to all 3W LED lights a while back.

Hmmmm, that sounds like a good idea. Where did you get them? Cost?
  • Options
    datovitsdatovits Member Posts: 5
    hey anybody hear clicking sounds from the engine? I hear clicking sounds from the right side of the engine when facing the engine from the front? could this just need valve adjustment or is this normal in every truck? my truck is a 4x2 '07 double cab brand new with just 700 miles. help! thanks.
  • Options
    nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I always thought that was just your fuel injection.
  • Options
    jeremyaaronjeremyaaron Member Posts: 21
    I finally got the 2005 rear squeak. Can anyone tell me exactly where it comes from? And is there anything I can do myself? Or does Toyota have to fix it? I know there was a Technical Service Bulletin on the leaf spring squeak.
  • Options
    wsuiterwsuiter Member Posts: 6
    I HAD THE SAME THING. I TOOK IT IN, I KNOW THE SERVICE MANAGER, SO HE HOOKED ME UP AND TOOK CARE OF IT. HE TOLD ME THAT IT WAS DIRT OR MUD THAT HAD GOTTEN IN BETWEEN THE LEAF SPRINGS. SAID HE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH HIS. ANYONE WHO USES THEIR TRUCK AS A TRUCK IS GOING TO HAVE THE PROBLEM. ALL YOU CAN DO IS BLOW THE DIRT OUT, AND LUBE THE LEAF SPRINGS UP WITH A TEFLON BASED SPRAY. WILL BE GOOD AS NEW. I DIDN'T HAVE THE PROBLEM AGAIN FOR ABOUT 26,000 MILES. HOPE THIS HELPS :shades:
  • Options
    1jessie1jessie Member Posts: 3
    noise is normal valve lash and will not need adjustment untill 75k also slight ticking is injectors////normal.
  • Options
    coldfootcoldfoot Member Posts: 49
    My 05 Tacoma started making a noise sounding and feeling like rear shocks were bad. At oil change last week told service manager about it..there is a TSB on this....they are going to replace rear spring assembly and all 4 shocks...truck has 31K miles