Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma 2005+

Comments

• volleyvolley Member Posts: 298
    I've seen it on regular cab but not the access. It looked cool IMO. I thought it looked better on the lighter colors like white, silver, gold, and the speedway blue. With all the other black accents that come on that trim level I think it will look good in any color though.
    The factory system isn't the best, but comparing it to the Ranger stock system is no comparison at all. I've had two Rangers and just came from an 03 and even the shop that installed my aftermarket setup said the Ranger has one of the better stock systems/speakers and I agree 100%
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    WAX! Once you get wax on the black plastic overfenders it is nearly impossible to keep the fenders black. There are products that "appear" to remove the wax, however, it always returns.
  • 88toylc88toylc Member Posts: 53
    Regarding the problem with wax, have you tried Meguiar's #40 Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner? When I first waxed my new Tacoma I got wax on the bedliner and on the mud flaps. I couldn't get it off. Subsequently, I was trying out the Meguiar's Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner and I was pleasantly surprised to find the wax residue disappear. I haven't seen any sign of the wax since and it has been about a month since I applied the Meguiar's. Perhaps it would work on the overfenders.

Good luck.
  • geogeckogeogecko Member Posts: 225
    Has anyone gotten the HomeLink/Night Vision mirror option? I ordered this option, and was wondering how many HomeLink buttons there are? My wife has 3 on her Acura, and was wondering if it was the same.

Also, on the 4x4 TRD versions, is the 4x4 engagement done automatically, or must you engage the wheel hubs? I know that my dad's '98 you had to get out and turn the wheel hubs, as well as, shift the transfer case to 4x4.
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    Wax is a problem on this type of plastic - it gets into the grain of the material. I've had good luck using a stiff toothbrush, and orange/citrus cleaner. But even still, it will fade over time - at least my old Mazda B-2200 sure did. Took a few years, though.

I've gotta tell you that I saw an Access Cab, with Convenience Package on it - had the black bumpers. Sitting right there, new, on the lot, the bumper had a scratch on the front/top edge, about 4 inches long. Looked to be impossible to remove as well. Any ideas about this? Other than to get the SR5 Package with painted bumpers?
  • 2k1trd2k1trd Member Posts: 301
    Never mind the wax problem,the sun will slowly fade those balck flares in the tune of about 2-3 years and will look like crap.I had mine replaced under warranty at 2 years old and now have repeated the same old thing 2 years later.I have never used any product on them besides normal car wash soap and never have got any wax on them either.I now use a trim shine on them to make them look decent after cleaning the truck.
  • nickt1nickt1 Member Posts: 32
    303 Aerospace Protectant will keep the plastic and rubber trim looking like new forever. It's hard to find in stores, though--do a google search for it.
  • srandytsrandyt Member Posts: 35
    While shearhing for potential winch mounts for my soon to arrive 05, I tripped across this site:

http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_library/display_release.html?id- =20041103

It seems that Toyota and Off-Road Adventures mag. have teamed up to build a special truck for Vanderbilt to take on a Mayan archeological expedition. You gotta check this out. More rack system goodies than you can ever dream of, including a metal "basket" to put stuff on when the bed is full of wood or other big stuff. When are we going to get a chance to buy some of this stuff?
  • srandytsrandyt Member Posts: 35
    From what I can put together, it is a dandy rack, and a breeze to install. You just pull up the rubber filler on the roof, and the mount nuts are already there. No drilling.
  • mudrunnermudrunner Member Posts: 6
    went and test drove an 05 access cab, manual with a 4 cyl today, i was really dissapointed with it. my dad has a 99 and it will put you in your seat when you get on it alot more then this one did. i was wondering if anybody has drove both the 4 and 6 cyl and if there is a noticable difference? they cant seem to get any 6 cyl manual up here in NY.
  • stnickstnick Member Posts: 177
    Can't tell you for sure on the mirror because My truck doesn't have it. The 4X4 system on the Tacoma is a part time system. You engage it with a dash mounted switch. The front hubs will lock and unlock automatically when you do this. The main concern is that you don't leave the system engaged when on dry pavement. There is no full time or AWD 4X4 availabe on this truck. Hope this helps. Nick
  • centralcalcentralcal Member Posts: 215
    Someone previously started an interesting discussion group of 05 Taco vs 05 Frontier, not much interest so I thought I would go to the Taco board. I have test driven all the foreign players in full size and mid-size truck markert, my impression is the Frontier is by a much better truck if your goal is a livable daily driver and you don't need a full size truck for towing or transport. Maybe the Taco is better if your goal is to climb Mt. Everest with your truck, but how many people really do this? The engine engine is unbelievable in the Frontier. The Taco feels and sounds like a truck, I expect more for my money and from Toyota. Also, the lack of options is ridiculous, no excuse. I hope some people are either offended or have strong opinions because we are the people who shape this segment. I will post this in the Frontier vs Tac discussion board and encourage people to voice their opinouns From my point of view, if your desire is 80-90% daily driving and weekend adventures, the Frontier is the winner. If your goal is to beat climb Everest with your truck, the Truck of the year is for you.
  • coinneachcoinneach Member Posts: 34
    This broken record is a Nissan salesman.
  • offroader3offroader3 Member Posts: 37
    I ordered some tube steps last 12-22-04,you better get in line now,I'm expecting to get mine possibly 2nd week of January,there is a waiting at least 3 weeks...
    hey its not the truck of the year for nothin.
    If your goal is to have a truck that looks boring on the outside and outdated and bland on the inside, then the Frontier is the truck for you.
    I've seen indigo blue in person and it is a little dark, not bad though. Looks a lot like the GM dark blue.
    Wow, I find it hard to believe they don't have any 6 speed V6's up there in NY. Your best bet is to drive any V6 they have, as the manual and auto should be fairly close in power. Then if you like the V6 better, have them order it for you. It shouldn't cost more to order it, because they aren't having to pay for it sitting on their lot until it's sold.

I'm not sure the Nissan guy is a sales person, but he did order one. Personally, they look okay on the outside, but I still don't really like them over the Taco. I think the Taco's are better made, more quality, than the Nissan trucks.

I for one, am glad that the options on this truck are finally put together in decent packages, and not so confusing. When I started looking at a Taco back in '03, I just couldn't believe how hard it was to spec out the truck you wanted, with so many options. I know with a truck, it would be hard, but I loved the options on my wife's Acura TSX. Either you get the one without navigation, or with it, and that was it! See, that's the thing with BMW too, you could say yeah, you can pay the same price you paid for that Acura and have gotten a Beamer. No, not true, by the time you put all the options that the Acura has, you'd have added another 6-8k to the price of the BMW. (Has anyone even seen a base model BMW anyway???)
  • wilcoxwilcox Member Posts: 582
    Dual Cab experiencing leak on passenger side. Noticable after rain or wash job. Shop has had it for 4 working days. It is next in line...after a black dual cab gets plugged with same problem...They have to take out all the insides and then have someone at body shop station themselves in the leaky zone and lay there and observe where water comes from that is sprayed by using another person and water hose.

Sheesh...I hate taking any kind of vehicle in for service because usually other things get screwed up in the provess. I sometimes hate cars so much that I wouldn't regret living in New York City where you don't really have to have one.

I like the Tacoma and hope factory gets message or Frontier sales will rise.
    Wilcox-

Sorry to hear about your water leak. There have been reports on some of the other boards about leaky double-cabs. Usually, the leak is coming from the windshield. If your water is on the floorboard of the front passenger seat, that's probably where it's coming from. Water leaks and noisy cab mount bolts seem to be the only two real issues with this vehicle. The Frontier hasn't been out for very long, but I'm sure it'll have new model issues too. I hope your dealer has given you a vehicle to drive while your Tacoma is in the shop.
    I like the Taco board, you guys are all die hard Taco fans, which is great. I hope I haven't made a mistake buying the Frontier (it is on its way). Hopefully it is reliable. I hate dealing with car repairs and car rattles, that is why I really wanted to like the Taco, but wasn't impressed. It obviously won truck of the year, but so did the F150 last year and bet not too many people from this board went out and bought it. I haven't read the article yet, but I am not sure why they compared the Taco DC to the Frontier access cab. It should be interesting reading.

For me, I am not using my truck for construction work (you should definitely get your hearing checked as I suggested), I am in the health care industry and I am just driving to the office and playing on the weekend but I want something safe, reliable and good ride. The Frontier seems to offer a much more plush ride, hopefully without repairs. Love hearing everyone chime in though.
    yup ive been checking as often as possible at two different dealerships, none so far. the problem is though this will be my first brand new vehicle and im only 20 so i want to be absolutely positive this is gonna be what i want for the next 10 years or so. plus when i do finally decide to order one im gonna have it ordered straight from the factory with lift, tube steps, etc. also on the test drive the other day when accelerating at low speeds and low rpm there was a metallic rattling from underneath, anyone hear the same thing?
  • dadoftaydadoftay Member Posts: 136
    I'm looking to replace my work vehicle (GMC Safari cargo van) with something a little more family friendly, read 2 daughters including Tay. I've looked at the Tacoma, Frontier, Titan, Tahoe, Pathfinder, 4Runner and F150. I would love to buy full size but my job simply won't allow a vehicle that can't manuver in small spaces. I sell construction supplies and work in Atlanta. Try taking a Tundra crew cab into a parking deck under construction and turn it around. My question is the Frontier I drove posted 15/20 mpg and the salesman said those were near dead on. The Tacoma posts 18/22. Are these legit? Quality has eliminated the GM and Ford candidates and the mpg and extra cab-like space in the Frontier's crew cab have pushed me more toward the Tacoma. If someone can tell me a crew cab Tacoma w/ an automatic can hit 18-20mpg driving 90% highway miles at 65-70mph, I think I have found my replacement. Any help is appreciated. Tay says I have to make a decision soon, I'm soaking up her valuable computer time ;)
  • saddaddysaddaddy Member Posts: 566
    ... have climbed Mt. Everest three times with my tacoma and it has held up very well. In fact, on my last trip I had to tow my buddy to the summit. The ac works wonderfully on the trip.
    I have a 4x4 Tacoma Double Cab w/ TRD Off Road Package and I drive highway miles to/from work every day (about 30 miles each way) and drive about 75MPH. I have been getting at least 20 MPG and I am still in the break in period (2200 miles). The Toyota stats are pretty accurate. I love this truck and this is my first Toyota. I came from a Ford and a Chevy. BTW you are concerned about getting in small spaces, I got to tell ya the Tocoma has a better turning radius than any truck I have owned. It's great!
    Toyota recommends premium fuel. I am not sure what people are actually using, but the Frontier numbers are on regular. Some others have noticed an engine knock, probably related to using low grade fuel in an engine designed to be run on premium. The saleman will tell you it runs fine on regular, but has anyone done a test of running a tank on premium vs regular?
  • 5553543255535432 Member Posts: 150
    Good day to all,

I need a pickup very soon, and the X-runner was one of the top in my list but the absence of sideairbags in a pricey truck turned me off. Is it possible to get the x-runner with sideairbags pre-orderd?I don't need a truck for serious hauling, just something fun that won't make me miss my mazda RX-8 so much in winter season months.

Do any of you guys have any info about the trims offered in the Honda Ridgeline. I've seriously considered it because all safety features are standard in all trims.Is it worth waiting for it? Is it true that the Ridgeline release was delayed by Honda for almost 6 months to better whatever Nissan Frontier and Toyota Tacoma offers, or this is just publicity crap.

I was waiting for the "Honda SUT", now called the Ridgeline. Took them way too long to come out with it. I have a Prelude with 191k miles on it, and it's starting to get real iffy.

While I think the Honda could be a good truck, once I learned the Taco was going to be redesigned for '05, I thought, this could get interesting. Anyway, I decided that I liked the way the Taco looked over the pictures I've seen of the RL. The other thing I didn't like about the looks of the RL, was the sloped down section from the top of the cab to the top of the bed. Looks more like an Elcamino (Spelling?).

Anyway, this is what, like the 7th or 8th generation Taco, so I think Toyota has an advantage to making trucks, where as, Honda does not. I'm also tired of Honda putting stuff that needs regular changing, in hard to get to areas (key in point here, is the oil filter). I bet it's going to be butted up against the firewall, near the middle of the engine, if history tells anything. Of course, this is a V6, so maybe it won't be there.

The side air bags are an option, but would probably have to be ordered from the factory. I haven't seen ANY Taco's that had them that are currently on the lot here in Texas.

I'm not sure about Honda wanting to wait 6 months just so they could "better" Toyota or Nissan. The design seems pretty well set by this time, so I don't see they could change much. Also, waiting 6 months doesn't seem like the thing to do for competition among vehicles. People that are looking at buying, are usually only in the market for a couple months, unless you aren't seriously looking. I've been looking for the last year or so. Hopefully the Honda will turn out nice. I've already ordered my Taco, so no turning back now!
    Does any have a Double Cab w/ the JBL option? If so can you please tell me where the sub is located? A picture would be great. I am hoping it is somewhere out of site and doesn't compromise storage. Thanks
  • footpoundsfootpounds Member Posts: 22
    LOL. That was you?! My wife and I passed another Tacoma on the way to the summit once. I honked and waved.
    Thanks for the input. As far as what Nissan says about mpg, their salesman said that regular gas would be fine. Toyota said regular would be fine. When we bought our Murano, regular would be fine, etc. Our Murano is all in-town driving and it pulls 18-20 now that it's "settled in". We have only run 1 tank of premium in it(5600 miles). Never heard a knock or complaint and it has great throttle response. I'm thinking now how much better premium would make it run...sorry, got sidetracked. To put that premium claim to rest, I contacted my Nissan service man and he says Nissan reccomends premium for the best performance out of the motor. A Toyota service rep said most manufacturers will claim premium fuel because the fuel is easier to combust in the engine and the fuel is cleaner burning (less deposits). I would think premium would only lend a 1/2-1 mpg difference, if that.

As far as turning circles, volley, you're right. Taco is hands down the champ. But why does Toyota make the 4Runner turn so much tighter than the truck? The 4Runner's manuverability really is impressive!! But I think I'll need the truck bed. I don't want to trash the inside of my next vehicle.

By the way, footpounds, that wasn't saddaddy you passed on Everest, it was my Safari broken down on the side of the road!! LOL :) Thanks for waving though.
  • tacofan4lifetacofan4life Member Posts: 33
    The turning radius on the 4Runner is tighter because the wheel base is shorter than the Tacoma Access cab and Double Cab by about 18 inches (more than 20 inches if you have the double cab long bed).

The Tacoma regular cab actually has a better turning radius than the 4Runner even though they have the same length wheel base.
  • bigandybigandy Member Posts: 70
    Re: "I'm also tired of Honda putting stuff that needs regular changing, in hard to get to areas (key in point here, is the oil filter). I bet it's going to be butted up against the firewall, near the middle of the engine, if history tells anything. Of course, this is a V6, so maybe it won't be there."

I can't tell you how glad I was when I opened the hood the first time to find the oil filter on my 2005 Tacoma Access Cab right on top of the engine. They'd have to put it in one of the cup-holders in the console to make it any more convenient. I recently left 6 quarts of oil between my driveway and a main street two blocks from here because when I reached through the wheelwell on my '99 ExtraCab to change the filter and failed see that the old filter gasket had fallen off and made the new one not seat correctly.

Just got back from a 1000 mile trip to Death Valley back country in the snow and rain and mud and the truck was great. Continue to be amazed at how comfortable it is. Stock radio pulled in Bay Area stations even in the day time, something my old Alpine couldn't do.

Toyota called me looking for feedback on it and I reported on two complaints. First, it's got the usual funky swirl on the glove box, something discussed here by many.

Second, I could see the day I drove it home that the cup holder in the console has a finish that is going to take about a month to destroy. I was overly optimistic about the time frame and mine is now scratched and pitted. The pits are from the bottom of Diet Coke cans hitting the edge of the holder in the dark. This to me is a design flaw, not abuse. I'm working with a sheet metal guy to come up with a stainless steel cover to shield it from further wear, but I should not have to be doing this on a $25k vehicle.

I told the woman that overall, I am very, very happy with the truck, very pleased with a lot of the subtle touches like interior lights that fade on and off, sun-glasses holder in the ceiling, etc. Also nice to know that if I ever get stuck at the end of a 50 mile gravel road and need to start a fire, I can just cut out a chunk of the bed and put a match to it for warmth!
  • gearhead1gearhead1 Member Posts: 408
    You drink in your truck? No one is ever allowed to eat or drink in my vehicles. I'm sure my cupholder finish will stay in mint condition for many years.:)

Instead of going through all that trouble with the sheet metal guy, could I suggest using only drinks in plastic bottles. I think this might remediate your problem.
    Yeah, I think the salespeople like to show that off about the oil filter placement. That was the first thing they did when I said I wanted to drive one. I couldn't believe it. Wonder how much that tube costs to attach to that threading in order to let it drain to the bottom of the truck?

I am a little disappointed in one thing (should have guessed though, that accessories would be over-priced), but I bought the bike rack (actually, my wife got it for me for Christmas, for a truck I don't even have yet). You would think, this is going to come with a cleat that goes in the rail, right? Nope, you must use one of your existing cleats to attach the bike rack. Wow, $50 for a 2lb 1/4" bracket with two holes drilled in it, 2 bolts with washers, and a quick release...I see a Mastercard commercial coming on...

Bracket-$4.95...Quick Release-$8.74...Bolts-$2.34...Black Paint-$32.97...oh, wait, I guess labor in making it should probably be included...

Oh, well, I'll probably end up buying another one anyway! Just think how much this truck would cost if you bought all the parts yourself! Probably $120k.

Well, I should find out today when mine will be shipping. I just hope that the cab bolts and the leaking problem have been worked out. I'm not too concerned about the glovebox thing (but maybe I will be, upon seeing it for the first time).

Looking forward to getting it soon. I just ordered the top of the line wax kit from Zaino, and will be trying it out on the wife's car, then hopefully the Taco, weather permitting.
  • columbustacocolumbustaco Member Posts: 7
    Dadoftay:

I have an '04 DC 4X4, which is prior to the '05 redesign. My driving conditions (city/highway) are similar to yours, and I get better mileage than what my sticker (16/19) had. The truck has about 9K miles on it, and I get 19-21.5 mpg. So there you go. Life is too short - go buy yourself a Taco, and be happy!
    Amen! It's good to hear the positives coming back. I'm one of those people who has to research over every detail. One of my co-workers asked me today, "You picked a car yet, or are you still tryin' to get that fullsize SUV with the 5' bed that gets 30mpg?" I laughed and then realized, "Hey, he was serious!!!" The mileage thing is great news, though, thanks for the post!
  • mwm10mwm10 Member Posts: 8
    The issue about higher octane being "cleaner" burning has been snuffed enough already. If you buy good gas, and your auto doesn't require premium, you are wasting your money.

New vehicles sometimes come with fairly high compression ratios, and higher compression can lead to early detonation, or knock, if the fuel isn't resistant enough to explode. Octane is the resistance to exploding, higher octane, more resistant to exploding in the cylinder before the spark.

Crappy gas is not the same as low octane. You could easily find high octane crappy gas. THAT burns poorly/dirty.

The taco can change the ignition timing automatically to resist early detonation. If the dealer tells you regular is OK, then it'll burn clean. BUT, it may not produce as much power/fuel economy because the engine spark timing had to be changed to put up with it.

Good luck...
    I think that was what my Nissan rep was saying, in laymans terms. I was always under the assumption that the higher the octane level/number, the faster/hotter the burn thereby giving you more power. Hence, racing fuel in the 100+ octane range. But, remember what assuming is like....;)
    Basically, higher octane gas is harder to burn, which means that a vehicle designed to run on high octane gas, will either not run well, or must adjust itself for the lower octane gas.

A vehicle not designed with high octane gas in mind, will usually not run any better with high octane gas, and in some cases, run worse than lower octane gas.

If you've ever been up in the mountains in Colorado, you'll notice that most gas stations located high in the mountains, don't carry high octane gas. High octane in high altitude is difficult for vehicles to burn, even vehicles designed to use high octane.
    I have the suspension noise, knocking sound as well. Has anyone heard of Toyota has a service bulletin out on this problem yet? I'm scheduled to take my truck into the dealership on Monday and it would be nice if I could take advantage of all the work others have done trying to locate and repair this problem.
  • toytrucktoytruck Member Posts: 67
    I;m the original poster on the glovebox issue-------still waiting to here from the Rep at the dealership on a solution. One other thing I found. Mine has the trailer hitch and there are 2 plastic caps on the bumper that cover the bolts. Every time I got out of the bed I would step on one and it would break (only has 3 little tabs). Got the dealer to give me some flat ones that would go on a bumper without a hitch and changed the bolts to carriage bolts---problem solved.
    Good to know. I have had one of those plastic caps broken (either it came that way or I or a friend broke it getting in or out of the bed) and the dealer got me a replacement, but I suspect I will have a problem again. Is there any reason to believe changing the bolts will invalidate the warranty should there be a problem with the tow hitch in the future? I will raise this issue with the service folks when I go into the dealer on Monday, and perhaps I can get them to change the bolts (doubtful but worth a try).
    18 inches! Wow that is a lot, no wonder it's tighter.
  • abvelvabvelv Member Posts: 9
    I've been using Zaino products on my 65 and 89 Vettes for a couple of years now. It is by far the best products I've ever used and I've tried a lot of them over the past 25 years. I put a coat on on my Radient Red DC the weekend after I got it. Looks great!
    easy mi amigo. Wife might think this isn't a car post LOL!!!

What's all this with the glovebox discoloration? I would simply put a pic of SpongeBob or some woodgrain tape over the existing.....wait, oh that wouldn't work at all!
  • j1s15nj1s15n Member Posts: 2
    Here is a link to ths ODI(Office of Defects Investigation). You can get access to Complaints, Defect Investigations, recalls, TSB's, and Foreign campaigns for any make/model. Enjoy!

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/home.cfm
  • jdvailcojdvailco Member Posts: 26
    Wait a few months and either Thule or Yakima or another major rack company will have a solution that will be high quality and lower cost and will not require you to use one of your pre-existing rack attachment bases.
  • toytrucktoytruck Member Posts: 67
    Very poor design on those caps. I'm not sure what grade the bolts are, but if the carriage bolts are equal then it should be no problem. Unless you are constantly using the hitch then you could always switch the bolts back if it is a concern. BTW the flat caps have some ribs on the underside that needs to be removed with a dremmel or knife for clearance.

On the glovebox issue, here is what I got from the dealer rep today.

" The Toyota Technical guy called me back and he said he turned in his report and the glove box's and he will contact me when he hears something from California. Which is where the home office is. I will email you as soon as I hear back from him."

Toytruck