Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Sentra Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• lazyladylazylady Member Posts: 1
    can you share your dealership name, city and state for the price that you got at $15438 for 08 sentra 2.0S w/CVT and convenience plus package. any other input on this car?
  • deweydogdeweydog Member Posts: 1
    Where did you get your car? I am about to buy and the best I can do is about 17,000.

Thanks.
  • kat6rinakat6rina Member Posts: 1
    I paid 14700 otd

but what I realized was they are much less willing to negotiate with internet special prices. I found this car on cars.com it was listed at 13900, but when i called the dealer, they said it was 16900. So, i wanted 14 otd, but the best they could do was 14700. But it was acceptable for me. The interest rate I got was 8.25.

I bought this car in ky, but i am a nj resident so i am going to have to pay an additional 1% sales tax when i get back
  • shaggyvideoshaggyvideo Member Posts: 9
    On January 5th, we purchased a 2008 Nissan Sentra 2.0 SL CVT in Magnetic Gray. This car features charcoal leather, moonroof, etc.

MSRP $20, 660

Purchase Price - 19,200

Rebate - $1250

College credit - $500

Freight included

Tax 3 %

Dealer processing - 349

Trade in (1998 Malibu LS w/ 94000 miles) - 900

Out the door - $17, 584

Monthly payment with 7.29% APR - $355
  • dsimsdsims Member Posts: 5
    Haven't bought a new care since 93 so coming here to see if I am getting a decent price

sentra 2.0 S cvt

sales price14000

This includes rebate and 1500 trade in on two vehicles
    tax is 1300

15500 OTD
  • observer22observer22 Member Posts: 41
    Carsdirect.com is quoting $3000 off sticker price for Sentra SE-R Spec V (the top-of-the-line 200HP model) if one uses a California zip code.

Sacramento-area Dodge dealers advertising the mid-sized Dodge Avenger (2008 models) for only $14,995.
  • salsdadsalsdad Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2007 Sentra SpecV - at Framingham (Mass) Nissan.

$17, 417 (IIRC) plus 444 for the dealers to type things up and fill the gas tank.
    So almost $18,000 plus sales tax. (by the way - the sales tax was calculated on the 17,4 number, NOT on the dealer "services").
  • den4165den4165 Member Posts: 2
    After getting quite a few qoutes and a lot of research on edmonds (mainly), this is my best deal, let me know what you think?
    Tax Free NH, so no tax involved. NEW 2008 2.0S CVT (22 miles), pretty much a basic S with a few small things added, carpets etc... , MSRP of $17710, -$1250 rebate, +$299 dealer fees, +$25 state fees, -500 down (could have gone with 00), I walked out the door with a final price of (drumroll please), !!!!!!!!! $13490.00. Just picked it up this afternoon. No other fees than those listed above, no trade in involved and best of all, no hidden fees and I was never pressured into (was talked to about), extra insurance and extended warranties. I made it a point before I went in to sign that I did not want to be surprised with hidden fees, and they actually listened. Most of the wheeling and dealing was done over the net untill the day before I was going to buy, and I did not let the other dealers know (I will e-mail them tonight) so I would leave my options open if this deal fell short of expectations. I know that never happens with car dealers, but this dealer came thru and kept his word.
    I also opted to go with 72 months financing (You can allways pay the principle down), but you can't tell the bank I only want to pay a portion of this months bill, that does not go over to well with them. 72 months @ 5.19%= $219 a month. Only reason for this rate is a good credit rating. Thanks again edmonds, you gave me the tools I needed to be a well informed consumer. :surprise:
  • jmaxejmaxe Member Posts: 198
    So your actual contract price was $13,666 (before DP and any fees)? I'd say you did well.
  • jeep53jeep53 Member Posts: 49
    I'm currently looking at the new Nissan Sentra and the new Honda Civic. I've read both pros and cons on this site as well as other sites. Of course there's always good and bad things about every car. I like some things about both cars. I know how great Honda's reliability is also. I'm just not quite sold on the new style of the Civic. Does anyone have any help they can give about either car?

I would appreciate any comments either way. Thanks!!
  • ike3ike3 Member Posts: 81
    I test drove both. Preferred the Sentra. A more comfortable ride due to the "ripple control" shocks/struts. Seats were also more comfortable than Civic. Driving position I thought was better, more of a taller riding position. Fuel efficiency is slightly better with Civic according to EPA. Resale value would also be better with Civic than with Sentra. However, neither vehicle yet offers VSC for 2008 models. Rest of it really is up to your personal preference. Deals I'm sure can be had on either model. Though Civic appears to have higher priced MSRPs.
    Have you considered the just released 2009 Toyota Corolla? They did a real nice job with that vehicle. Certainly you should compare features and pricing, especially on the base and LE models. XLE, S, and XLR models can get pricey real fast. Toyota is making VSC available as an option, and the northern US cars are coming with power heated outside mirrors, as part of their "weather guard" package, and that includes the base Corolla as well. Also, ABS is now standard on all trim levels across the board. Try that with Civic or Sentra. Hit and miss.
    Have you test driven the Sentra and Civic yet? Are any other small vehicles on the radar for you?
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    ABS has been standard on the Civic since the new generation came to market in 2006. Have one and it has it!

The Sandman :)
  • dallardallar Member Posts: 15
    Same kind of deal down here in Texas. Walked out the door with a 2007 SER Spec V for 17,946 incl tax. All options incl Rockford Fosgate, XM, Sunroof, Posi, etc. No other car with that kind of performance and equipment even comes close price-wise.
  • shlafershlafer Member Posts: 1
    wanna buy a car and one dealership offered me
    16,200 the OTD price for sentra 2.0 S. Is it a little bit high?
    let me know that. I originally think Sentra 2.0 S values below 15500(the OTD price)
    - in illinois.
    What do you think about this.?
  • den4165den4165 Member Posts: 2
    This worked for me and I was in your same price range and I recieved otd price of $13990, on the sentra 2.0S, picked up a few days ago (all fees included in this price).
    You never said what the msrp was on this car, it really doesn't matter and if you follow these guidlines you should get the car for at least $3000 (low side), to $4000 off the msrp. If you haven't bought it yet try this and let me know how you make out. The sentras have the $1250 or $1000 with 3.9% interest untill the end of the month so it should be done in that time frame to get the best deal. You should have your mind made up as to the car and features you want and be flexible as far as color, or if you are not flexible on color Just do not let the salesman know. This is very important, you should only talk car price and NOT payments, use the edmonds finance calculater when getting your prices to figure out the payments at first, use 5.9% as a rate if you have good credit, do not listen to the salesman when they say no one gets it for that now, it's BS. OK here we go:
    1) go to edmonds.com and request quotes for your vehichle, the more dealers the
    better.
    2) Wait TWO days to gather all info and have them give you a stock# so you can look at it over the net, make sure they email with the info, at this point make sure they know you will definatly be buying within a few days and you can even tell them a downpayment figure, along with a payment figure that you are interested in, but make sure you lowball the payment figure, ex.. I wanted as close to $200@72 months but knew this was impossible for them and they will problably even laugh, BUT REMEMBER, at this point this is a reference for them and you , still deal with only the figure price of the actual car, not monthly payments.
    3) All your information should be in front of you at the end of two days. Email all of the dealers in ONE email, on the best price you recieved so far for the car, not payment price just full price, in this email start talking about finance rates, and an out the door price with ALL fees included, tell them if they have hidden fees when you go in to sign you will walk, you want all fees to be upront and disclosed now.
    4) Wait two days before doing anything. You will get a lot of offers and you are going to think this is the best I can do, but it will get better.
    5) After the two days pick the two best. You start calling them and tell them what the other dealer is giving you and do not feel guilty. After calling the both of them you should have your best deal( it might take a day or so on this also). Do not tell the other dealer you have made your mind up yet , because if the deal falls thru at dealer one you have dealer #2 to fall back on.
    6) Go test drive your new car, make sure they know you still have dealer #2 to go to and they will not want to let you get out the door without the new car, so they will give you the best rate they can, at this point it should only be about the financing rates and the shape of the car and not the purchase price.
    During all of these negotiations, DO NOT get excited, and do not commit to what you think might be a good deal. You have to let the whole process play out.
    Good luck. :)
  • haibanegatsuhaibanegatsu Member Posts: 1
    The starting price for the 2008 Sentra S was $18070. The only additional options were floor mats and a rear spoiler.

Then they allowed $2,500 for the trade in which reduced the price down to $15,570

Added 'Document fee' of $279, plus tax of $1,109.43, plus title fee of $21.00 to come to a total of $16,979.43

Then they 'subtracted' $2,250 in incentives: $1,250 Mfgs Incentive (good til March 8th I believe), $500 for College Grad and $500 for President's Day.

This brought the final 'out the door' price down to $14,729.43
    My wife and I purchased a new Sentra SL about a month ago. We thought we were going to buyu the Civic, but we're glad we didnt. Despite all the reviews rating the Civic much higher than the Sentra, I think the Sentra is a much better value for the money. It is much more roomier, very quiet ride, CVT transmission.

We got the Sl which came with leather, CVT, intelligent key, bluetooth, sunroof, large trunk, nice standard audio system. Overall, so far it's been a great car and I hope it stays that way for years to come. I would recommend test driving one. You won't regret it.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    The Sandman :)
    The SL listed for $20,850. It came with leather, CVT, intelligent key, XM radio, bluetooth, alloys, steering wheel controls for radio and bluetooh and cruise control, sunroof. The bottom line after rebates was $18,899. I'm not sure if I made the greatest deal compared to others, but I didn't think it was too bad. I compared to Honda Civic with same equipment and their MSRP was $23,300. This car rides much smoother and with a lot less road noise. If you have any othe questions, please let me know....Good luck!!
  • anycallanycall Member Posts: 10
    I got a quote of $18750 OTD. Is this good deal?
  • anycallanycall Member Posts: 10
    I just purchased 08 Sntra SL for $18238.66 OTD This is with 3.9% with 1250 cash back through NMAC. I'm not sure if I got the best deal... Hopt this help others looking to buy same car.
    I thnk you got a ver ygood deal. I bought a 2008 Sentra SL a month ago. It came down to around $18,T600 with the rebates and everything. I like the SL because it has leather, CVT, bluetooth, sunroof, ABS, etc. How do you like the car so far??

We got the magnetic gray color with charcoal leather inside. Let me know what you think of the car. Good luck!!
  • huyhoang26huyhoang26 Member Posts: 4
    The guy want to sell me the Sentra 2.0 basic for 1570-2500(double rebate) = 13,500, not include any fee, tax.
    How far I can go down from that number?
    Thanks
  • jblaze13jblaze13 Member Posts: 152
    sticker was $17160.
    price $14909 which was $200 off of invoice
    taking the 3.9% financing + $1000 rebate

$13909 was the final price
  • justin714justin714 Member Posts: 10
    I've been offered an OTD price of $16,174 for a Sentra 2.0S CVT, options are body side moldings and splash guards.
    Do you think this is a good deal? I live in Orange County, California btw.
  • schabotnikschabotnik Member Posts: 4
    That's a good deal for sure, but you can do better. I think after twenty some odd years of buying cars I have finally cracked the code. Once you have found the car you want, and it sounds like you have, send an email to four or five dealers in your area with your last and best offer. The SECRET is you have to do this on the absolute last day of the month in the afternoon. Trust me, you will be shocked. I had worked out a deal for the exact same car as you, and could only get my local dude down to $16,500 out the door. I thought I could get $15,700 after reading up on this site. Sure enough, I did the shot gun email on the last day of the month and "bingo" got exactly what I wanted. Even got the dude to throw in a lifetime power train warranty.
    Thanks schabotnik.

I've been working the dealers for the past week via email and this is by far the best offer I've received. I sent this deal to all the dealers in my area so I'd expect one of them will come back with a better offer. I'd love to wait til the end of the month and see how much better I can do, but, unfortunately, my wife had totaled her car in an accident 3 weeks ago and I need to get her a replacement as soon as possible. Looks like you've got yourself a pretty good deal, don't thik I can beat that.
    Well, good luck to you regardless. Yeah, I know its pretty hard to wait sometimes. I think I had a little unusual experience as it was the end of the month, but I actually had one dealer tell me that he would beat my $15,700 deal by five hundred more bucks! You know how all the stuff you read says the end of the month is the big time for these guys. Well, I never really believed it, but literally I had one dealer immediately go to near my goal, and another hit it right off the bat. They were all so busy on the last day, they weren't even answering emails or calls. That is the beauty of email, you can just sit around like a fat cat and play these guys off each other. Good luck, and that price you quoted is still pretty good so don't lose sleep over it. Just keep bugging them and maybe you can squeeze a few free oil changes or something, ha.
    Just drove home in my new Sentra 2.0S. Got it OTD @ Cerritos Nissan for $15512, they didn't have the options I wanted but I opted for splash guards and floor/trunk mats.
    Phew...glad it's over.
  • klasklas Member Posts: 22
    Got 08 Sentra SL for around $18400 OTD (w/ sunroof, body side moldings, hide a trunk, mats, splash guards)

Car is great, but need to take for warranty repair. Some weird noise coming from the roof in the rear where the handle is. It sounds like handle is rubbing against the roof, so they probably forgot to put something in between.
  • tlcruztlcruz Member Posts: 54
    Will you be taking your new Sentra to Cerritos Nissan for service? I've never had a good experience there.

What color did you get it in? :)
    They gave me a first oil change for free so I'll be taking advantage of that. I'll be going to a local Nissan dealer for all future service. BTW, the guy who helped me with this deal is Reggie, I thought he was very professional and caring. Even the meet with the Finance guy was brief and painless. At least he didn't try to push me to buy anything extra.

I got it in black, which I thought is the best looking color out of the 4 they had in their lot.
    Justin, that's a great deal...seems like you owe me a Nissan hat or something ;)

I think we have the exact same car...mine came with splash guard and floor mats...that's it, oh and the CVT. Yours is auto...right? Man, you can't go wrong with that car and that price.
  • esong1esong1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm planning to buy a 2008 sentra 2.0s manual transmission some time in April or May. If I offer them $16500 (includes splash guard, side molding, floor mat, destination fee) will it work? Is that a good deal?

After 4% tax ($660), document fee ($200) and $1500 cash back, it would be $15800 OTD.

When would be the best time to buy?

Thanks.
    Esong, if you read my post a posts back you can see my two cents worth on buying strategy. You should have no problem getting that model for $15800. Several of us got ours for less than that with an automatic...You should be looking at the $15,000 range. Just go drive one, find the model you really want, and then park your butt at the computer and do the rest from the comfort of your home. Look around the site, and see what other people paid, and come up with your bottom line. Then...on the last day of the month...the absolute last day...send an email to every nissan dealer within an hour or so and tell them what you want to pay. You will be surprised at the effort to sell you a car on the last day of the month. Simple...
  • nimrod19nimrod19 Member Posts: 7
    Just purchased a Sentra 2.0S XCVT with the ff options:

Convenience Package (bluetooth, intelligent keyless entry,etc.)
    Splash Guards
    Floor Mats
    Body Side Moldings

My OTD price was 17288.36, doesn't really compare to the low prices I saw in this forum, I just hope the extra money translates to good service and I did not have to haggle at all, I just used the VPP D-plan. I could have probably done better but I wanted to buy somewhere convenient to go to in case of problems.
    I bought my 2008 Sentra 2.0S CVT a few days ago. The whole OTD price negotiation was done on my computer in the comfort of my home. The only time when I had to come in was to sign papers and drive the car home so don't waste your time visiting the dealers just yet. Here's my buying process:

1. Get them to send you 2 OTD quotes in an email: one for the $1500 rebate, another for a $1000 rebate + 2.9%. Just don't tell them which option you'll take yet.
    2. Once you received your quotes from different dealers, pick 3 best ones. Send out another email to all 3 with the price you have in mind. I'd start low, say about $15000 for a 2008 Sentra 2.0S CVT. I've received another offer for $14900 OTD 3 days after I bought the car so I wouldn't pay more than $15200 OTD for the car you're getting.
    3. Wait a day or 2...or until you hear back from all 3. Remember, at this point some of them will ask you to come in...just be firm and say no. Tell them you'll only come in once you've received the best OTD quotes.
    4. At this point you should have heard back from all 3 so you should have the lowest quote from one of them. Here's where things get really fun and interesting. Forward the email from the dealer with the lowest quotes to all dealers in your surrounding area, tell them this is the best quote you've received so far and you'll do business with anyone that can beat it. You'll be amazed with what these guys will do to earn your business.
    5. Relax for a day or so. You should now have heard back from them with different quotes. Pick the best 2 and let them go to work for you, you will soon receive the best quote that will be close to what you have in mind. At this point, you can start making calls to the second best and let them know you intend to buy your car from another dealer unless they can do better. It's important to have all these offers in an email which you can take to the dealer...verbal agreement just won't do. Make sure to also let them know that once you come in and their OTD price is higher than what they quoted you in the email you'll walk.
    6. Now that you know which dealer you want to do business with and whom to meet when you go there, start working out your payments by using the finance calculator on this site. In my case, I brought my laptop along so I can do different calculations based on rebate and APR. Oh and don't forget to print out the email you received from them.

Hope this helps and good luck to ya.
    Hey schabotnik, yep mine's a 2.0S CVT so looks like we got the same cars. I got a keychain and mug but no hat. I think I'm going to ask them for one when I bring the car in for service. I'll take a pix and post it here for you to look at...how's that?
  • mgvhmgvh Member Posts: 4
    I had a good experience through DarCars in Maryland. I searched their inventory, and they clearly list MSRP and options. Click a button, supply your name/email, and it generates an automatic response with a price that includes "all applicable rebates." They clearly state that their price does include freight but excludes tax, tags, and a $100 processing fee.
    I liked a Sonoma Sunset 2.0S CVT with side moldings, floor/trunk mats, rear spoiler and splash guards.
    MSRP: 18070
    Invoice: 16796
    Their e-price: 14996.
    I live in PA and the dealership was about an 90 minutes away in MD, so I called to confirm availability and price. I asked for an OTD price.
    The e-price included Nissan's 1500 rebate, of course, and the salesman indicated over the phone a 16099 OTD price for me with a new PA license. (I.e., I had no trade.) I had a number of other quotes for quite a bit more, and from the Edmunds TMV guide, I knew that this was a more than fair price, so I agreed to it pending a satisfactory test drive.
    There apparently was some confusion on their part re: the PA license, and salesman said that they should have charged about 300 more, but they would certainly honor the price quoted me over the phone. After going through all the stuff with the salesman, I was sent to the finance guy, and now the OTD price is only 15727. I pointed out that I had indeed agreed to 16099, but the finance guy basically said his numbers were his numbers!
    So, basically I got the car for 16175 less the rebate >> 14675.
    Add tags and tax I was OTD at 15727. I'm happy! :)
  • dsharma75dsharma75 Member Posts: 2
    Freinds,

I want advice what could be done in the following situation.

We bought a Sentra 2.0S CVT in mid march 08. At that time we filled up the application from NMAC and were told we were aproved. The next day when we went to take the delivery we were been told that NMAC has refused the loan based on our credit history. The finance manager arranged the loan from another bank at a higher APR. We signed the paper and were feeling lucky that we got the car.

From March 21 to April 24th I was bugging everybody including NMAC, customer service, and the delaer to get me a refusal letter from NMAC. No one provdied me with one. On 24th April when I went to the dealership I was given a letter from NMAC that I was approved for loan back on March 20th with tier-1 status. Later I found that tier-1 means I was eligible for special APR.

What are my options to fight aginst this fraud with this specific delaer.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,182
    Call the general manager of the dealership.. Tell him exactly what happened, and that you have all of the paperwork to prove it. Ask him to remedy the situation. Don't threaten or bring up any personal problems. Just stick to the facts, and tell him that you want the financing that you rightfully qualified for, or compensation to make up the difference.

He should at least agree to meet with you, to see your evidence. If he won't, or won't offer satisfactory compensation, I would first complain to Nissan USA, and if that didn't work, I'd contact the local prosecutor.

Until now, you've probably only dealt with the sales manager and/or the finance manager. You should move up the food chain to the general manager of the dealership. Be professional, but persistent. If you feel you are being brushed off, let them know of your willingness to explore legal avenues, but try not to threaten.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• mcismcis Member Posts: 1
    Where did you get this deal (18,238)?
    We bought our 2008 Sentra SL back in February. Looked at the Honda Civic, Mazda3 and Corolla. Once we drove the Sentra, we were sold. It drives very smooth, quiet and more comfortable than the Civic. You get a lot for your money with the Sentra. The SL came with a sunroof, intelligent key, ABS, CVT, leather, separated trunk compartment, splash guards, side moldings, bluetooth.

When all was said and done, we got it for around $18, 500. It listed for $20,850 I think. Not sure if that's the best deal, but I didn't think it was too bad for all the equipment we got. Before you buy a Civic, test drive the Sentra. You won't be dissapointed. Good luck!!
  • ike3ike3 Member Posts: 81
    And yet, given the price and all those extra options...still, no heated outside mirrors are made available for U.S. buyers. You can get those on the '09 Corolla. And you can get them on a Canadian spec '08 Sentra, but not here in the U.S. Is anyone from Nissan USA listening? This feature is needed for northern U.S. and mountain west locations. Good deal, yes...but still a pricey vehicle without the $1500. April rebate.
    How about adding this important feature for 2008.5 U.S. production and 2009 Sentra
    production? Makes sense to me. Maybe not for everyone, I admit. But give us a choice, Nissan USA.
  • mia1975mia1975 Member Posts: 3
    Hi
    I just purchased the S model( ABS and CVT) yesterday at a local dealer here in MA. It took some time but I got iot for $14,500 after the 1000 rebate plus 2.9 financing for 60 months. OTD price after tags and fees = $ 15,450. I think I got a good deal. I tried for an even $14,000 but they wouldnt budge. Im thinking they made $400-500 on the deal, which doesnt bother me.
    Mia
  • noeffortnoeffort Member Posts: 10
    Justin714,
    Please post OTD minus taxes as we all have different tax rates.
    Sounds like you got a great price! Lowest I have seen.

Also if you could post any options.

Enjoy your new ride!
  • noeffortnoeffort Member Posts: 10
    mia1975,
    You got a fantastic price too, glad I'm looking at these prices before I deal.
    Thanks for sharing..... Curious at to what "fees" you were charged..
    If everyone posted the "fees" if would be helpful as they all try and include some unsuspecting "fees" after the negotiated price.
    Thanks
    The OTD price minus tax for my Sentra 2.0S CVT was $14523. The options are splash guards and floor/trunk mats. I could've gotten this car for about $500 cheaper had I waited another week.

Hope it helps.
  • podunk503podunk503 Member Posts: 45
    got a price quote for 2.0 s cvt

msrp 18990
    otd price 16299 after $1500 rebate

good price?
    Not sue if it's a typo, but $18990 is the listed MSRP for a 2.0 SL CVT. $16299 OTD for a 2.0 S CVT is way too high as I've only paid $15512 OTD for my 2.0 S CVT. Not sure where you live but I'd get some more quotes from surrounding dealers.