Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra VS Ford F-150

Comments

• rotorrayrotorray Member Posts: 42
    I live in "rodeo country". Farms and cattle ranches abound and the annual rodeo was this weekend. I've been debating on a "big 3" truck or a Tundra. I've been at the "big 3" dealers on Monday mornings monitoring the service departments and customer's vehicle complaints and I'm not impressed. I don't want to know my mechanic by his first name but that seems to be the "Big 3's" mission.

In looking around the Tundra is making big inroads on the so called "big 3's" sales. they are EVERYWHERE in my area so Toyota must be doing SOMETHING right. They're hauling horse trailers and farm implements, and soccer moms. People will buy what suits their needs. The Trundra is sized right. If you want a bigger truck go for it. That's what makes America great!! Some post that Ford, Chevy, etc, build 800,000 plus, blah, blah, blah. Quantity never has been interpreted as "quality", but that seems to be what most Tundra bashers are trying to imply. The last GM product I drove the dash fell apart when I went over a bump. The Ford Crown Vic from work blew the engine because Ford changed the oil pressure relief valve and the thing stuck blowing out all the oil. So much for "quality". A local police dept has changed 17 Ford Crown Vic engines for the same reason. nuff said.
  • dbhulldbhull Member Posts: 150
    Bama, the responses you got are enough said. You keep telling yourself that those magazine articles arent biased and do fair tests. Tell yourself over and over again that the Tundra is more capable and a better truck. You may just get over that buyers remorse yet.

You're still crying the blues. How sad.
  • barlitzbarlitz Member Posts: 752
    You can get a 2000 F150 Supercab 4x4 4 door with the 4.6 and auto for $19000,How much for a 4x4 supercab auto Tundra?Also there are 7000 members on F150 online compared to 600 on the Tundra site I think there are more complaints per member on the Tundra than the Ford.Ford is Fixing any of there problems for free even out of warranty.

Roterray you've been sniffing to much Cow Dung,The Tundra isn't effecting any of the big3 sales check out www.putc.com it lists monthly sales and up to date sales,The Tundra is 10th and last even outsold by the Frontier maybe you should consider the Frontier since you live on one.
  • bamatundrabamatundra Member Posts: 1,583
    The Tundra is 10th in sales. So what? It sold 100,000 vehicles in its first year. Can any of the Big3 claim this?

The Honda Accord was laughed at as being a compact car in the 70's. The domestic auto makers did not consider it to be serious competition. Now the Accord is one of the best selling vehicles of all time. Do you see a pattern here?
    yes the big 3 can claim this and no I don't see a pattern.
  • trucksrmetrucksrme Member Posts: 381
    Toy factory make a "full size" one, and call it that t100. But it aint really "full size", only yuppies be buyin em, they tire of that fad, and that factory stops makin em.

Toy factory make a "full size" one, and call it that tundra. But it aint really "full size", only yuppies be buyin em, they tire of that fad...

Any folks be seein a pattern on this one? Good luck on this one now!
  • dogsterdogster Member Posts: 94
    Was watching the news tonight and a consumer group rated companies by the number of lemons produced and responsiveness by the company. I thought for sure Dodge would be the worst manufacturer since they almost war barred from selling cars in CA for dumping untagged lemon law vehicles on dealer lots in CA. But to my amazement Ford was the worst. Validates the dealer service experience I had with my GT Mustang. Also made me glad I bought a Toyota.
  • rooster9rooster9 Member Posts: 239
    It depends on the dealer. For an SR5 4x4 Accesscab Tundra you can get one for less than $27,000.

That's Ford's problem if they sell more and have more problems because of it. Will they cut production? Hell no!
  • homemechanichomemechanic Member Posts: 3
    I knew this comparison would come up so i'm ready for common senses.
    When did the T100 come out?
    Ans: Right after F150 new body already came out.
    When did Tundra come out?
    Ans: Right after when they killed T100 and Ford introduced V10 and thinking about putting it in F150.
    I dont understand why people are trying to compare Ford F150 and Ford trucks vs. others specifically Tundra......There's no comparison.
    Have you checked out truck section on Edmunds?
    Click on Ford and U will see.
    Sure, Tundra is nice but it's not the best. Tundra is a new truck so U cant argue about long term reliability.

Another thing. Unlike passenger cars, trucks are designed to HAUL and PULL and CARRY stuff, that's why eventhough they only have beds yet they are so heavy. The weights are from strengthened chasis. F150 is heavier because it probably has higher maximun payload.

I was on a bus with Ford new V10. What an engine! The bus had 35 people on board yet it snapped my head every time the driver steps on the gas.
  • jambojambo Member Posts: 28
    The 4.7 engine is not new or untested. It is the lexus flagship and well tested with a long record a lot longer then the ford v10. Lexus gets its power from high tech not gas drinking size. Big trucks (18 wheelers) dont need v10s they do it with gears. Ford has high tech engines they just dont put them in their trucks.
  • jaijayjaijay Member Posts: 162
    Interesting. I have read the article a while back and if I recall the Chevy pulled better than the Ford and Dodge was equal to the Toyota full and empty. So what is all the brew ha ha with the motor trend article and the differences they got?
  • markcordmarkcord Member Posts: 113
    A truck needs torque. Torque comes from cubic inches (there is no substitute). You can wind up a 4.7 all you want to make hp. But it will never make as much torque as a larger displacement engine. Funny, whatever the Toy doesn't have is rationalized by saying "you don't need it". LOL with all the other V10 owners!
  • arkie6arkie6 Member Posts: 198
    For the record, the Tundra 4.7L V8 makes far more torque than the 4.6 L V8 Ford and made the same as the larger displacement 1999 Chevy 5.3 L V8 (315 Ft-lbs) and the Toyota made it at a lower RPM than the Chevy. For the 2000 model, Chevy upped the torque to 325 ft-lbs. They couldn't let that little Toyota engine out do their biggest available engine in the 1/2 ton class pickup. I will give credit to the Ford 5.4 L V8 for impressive torque numbers though.
  • arkie6arkie6 Member Posts: 198
    Ready for common senses???? Where did you get your info on the T100 coming out after the new F150? If I remember correctly, the Toyota T100 was introduced in 1993. The new F150 came out in 1997. And if you look closely, the new F150 copied the grill from the T100. The Tundra then copied it again, but flipped it over.

And what were you talking about a V10 in the F150? What sense would this make? Ford already has the highest torque engine (5.4L) in the 1/2 ton class. That big V10 needs a bigger chassis under it than the F150.

It's funny when we start making comparisons between 1/2 ton pickups and the first thing Ford and Chevy guys want to do is try to compare the Tundra to the 3/4 ton domestics. It ain't designed to compete in that class. Besides, the money and the volume is in the 1/2 ton class. If we stick to 1/2 ton class pickups there ain't alot of difference between the trucks except for quality, fit and finish, and smoothness, which the Tundra wins hands down.
    Ya said this on that limited "truck" engine:

It is in the lexus flagship and well tested with a long record a lot longer then the ford v10.

Must be makin all them yuppies feel good that them engines was "well tested" by them lexus "flagship" cars now. Bet they was "workin" that engine hard now. Yuppies, they just aint gettin it. Sure be glad when this fad be over and them yuppies be off chasin that next one now! Good luck on this one now!
  • fordsrmefordsrme Member Posts: 22
    I chuckle when I see another Full Size truck on the road when I'm driving my F-150. I look down at Chevy's and Dodge's, and I have to use a telescope to see them Tundra's there riding on the ground.
    I was parked next to that thereTundra the other day and the owner couldn't find his pickup there cause my truck was so much bigger it blocked the whole truck. He looked at my F-150 and said to me "Shi# damn, I wish I would of bought that nice looking Ford that is much bigger than my little Tundra". I said "Too bad sucker, better luck next time."
    Good one, it's probably goes more like this:

You: "Sorry for blocking your view."

Tundra owner: "No problem, don't feel sorry for that, feel sorry for having to drive a Ford."
  • jcmdiejcmdie Member Posts: 594
    Chevy and Tundra are bound to end up with better numbers if they are tested with a faster rear end than ford or dodge. Also note that the weight of the vehicle will affect the performance of the truck.
  • jambojambo Member Posts: 28
    In the half ton world Tundra is it. You want to talk big then go to 3/4 +. All you f150's should have spent the money on 3/4+ so you can talk it. By the way Trucksrme if not for the yup fad trucks would still be butt ugly with the same old power plants of yesteryear. I need some help on the torque issue. More size? how come 5.9 diesel has a lot more torque than 6.8 v10??
    I've got a 99 F250 light duty 4x4 4dr supercab with 5.4 and 3.73 ls auto.Paid $26000 out the door.The Tundra rules the 1/8 ton world a little ahead of the Yugo Diplomat.
    I heard they were gonna have a show " Who wants to be a Tundranaire" Regis was going to ask Tundra owners why they think there trucks are fullsize, and then the audience was gonna laugh at them,and then Batman comes out and hits everyone with Haymakers and then the show ends.
    Them tundras be a 1/2 ton one now? Where ya readin that tell at? They aint big enough too be a 1/2 one now, they be more a 1/3 ton for sure. Try putin some wieght in that pee-wee and doin the haul, that will anwser that one, but quick! Good luck on this one now!
    They outhaul the Silverado. Does this make the Silverado a 1/4 ton?
    I thought the contestant would ask the audience for the answer. Maybe 50/50 would tell the truth?
  • fordsrmefordsrme Member Posts: 22
    The only true 1/2 Ton is the F-150. This be a fact, and it's payload be higher than ANY of the other Big3 including the otehr Small1 (Tundra)

Facts are facts here just telling them like they are.
    Max Haul for them 1/2 ton ones:
    Silverado 9600 LBS
    tundra 7100 LBS (but be bustin quick)

Course they be goin up higher for them 3/4 and 1 ton ones now. Fact is facts. What part of this one aint ya gettin now? There aint no Math too it now. Just eyeball that pee-wee tacoma drivetrain if ya be needin more proof on it than these numbers now. Use them eyes too figure out this one! Good luck on this one now!
  • xspechtxspecht Member Posts: 27
    If the F-150 is so great, why can the "little Tundra" out haul the mighty F-150 by 1,000 pounds when you compare the 4.7 Toyota V8 to the 4.6 F-150 V8? I was just wondering, since the Toyota is such a "baby", how could this be?
    Isn't that an oxymoron? And I do stress MORON. Evidently you don't know the difference between hauling and towing. Not surprising.
  • smith53smith53 Member Posts: 72
    as i look at my chevy sales brochure i see the largest max haul number for the silverado 1500 is 9500 not the 9600 trukkie states. now that i own a 2000 silverado the owners manual state the max haul for the 1500 4wd 5.3litre 4:10 rear is only 8000 and thems the facts
    Went back and looked at that borchere too. Ya be right, it be 9500 not that 9600 LBS now. Gotta tell Franklin too threw out a couple of them seed sacks now, dont wanna overload er, that be illegal round these parts. Thankin ya on pointin that one out now. Good luck on this one now!
    Reckin ya aint never heard bout "haulin" a trailer down that road now. Or what them tractor/trailer rigs do, which be called "haulin". Haulin be what big rigs do too large loads now. Let me be givin ya that example now:

I towed my popup camper with my tundra.
    Vs.
    I hauled a tabaco train too market with my Chevy.

Guessin ya got some "readin" too be catchin up on for this one now. Them that be "workin" em already know these things. Good luck on this one now!
    Trucksrme, one grammatical point, the way you are using too, you should just use to. Too means also or excessively. For example; Trucksrme isn't too intelligent. To, on the other hand, means in the direction of, for example; Trucksrme walked to the still so he could get some moonshine. Sorry folks, it was bugging me.
    Thinkin I got it now. Is this that correct usage of too:

Them yuppies be thinkin too much of themselves.

Do I got it right now? Good luck on this one now!
    Congratulations, maybe you should take that test so they can give you that 8th grade diploma now!
    I aint got the knowin on alot of them yuppie things, but I be knowin what "full size" be meanin. Cant be sayin the same for all them folks who be buyin them limited ones now. Good luck on this one now!
  • rotorrayrotorray Member Posts: 42
    I've been amazed at how often these discussions/debates degrade to the point of attacking the messenger and forgetting about the issue at hand...TRUCKS! The main rule of ANY discussion/debate is that when you leave the subject of the debate and attack the individual you have AUTOMATICALLY lost the debate. Case closed.

Think about this as you read the various posts. They usually revert to the attack because the debater can't justify his position and must go after the individual, having been backed into the corner. trucksrme is a classic example and is why many of his posts, and the posts of others, fall of deaf ears. There's a lot to learn on this truck topic, and others, and I thank Edmunds for the opportunity for us to share our experiences. My suggestion is let's keep to the subject(s) at hand and we'll all be better for it. My .02
    Try as ya might, ya just cant be leanin these yuppies no truths on them trucks. The yuppie be hard too learn now, and that be the fact. Good too see other folks be seein this one too. Good luck on this one now!
    I'm having a hard time understanding your last post. Let me see if I got it right:

1. All Tundra owners are yuppies.
    2. All yuppies are stupid.
    3. Therefore - all Tundra owners are stupid.

This logic is hard to follow. Could you please clarify?
    Sorry ya be missin these simple truths. Best quit readin on them trucks and get out and work em. Them that be workin em have the knowin of em. Good luck on this one now!
  • dogsterdogster Member Posts: 94
    Speaking of which, Trucksrme, you say, "to quit readin on them trucks adn get out and work em. Them that be workin em have the knowin of em." Seems like to me you're the one doing all the reading and posting, so you must not be "workin em" which means you don't "knowin em." Actually, do you even own a truck? By the number of posts on the Tundra sites you must do nothing but "work" your computer keyboard all the time. Or is your Chevy in the shop all the time, up on blocks or in the side yard with weeds growing all around it? When do you have time to work that farm now? Got a laptop mounted on your Farmall tractor?
    1. Were Tundra owners made yuppies by purchasing them, or were they yuppies before?

2. Do yuppies buy big3 trucks?

3. Do all S.C. farmers share your views? Just farmers? Just S.C. farmers? Just ignorant hicks?

4. Is your usage of the term "yuppie" just so you can insult people without being banished like some of your other aliases?

Just curious.
    I was thinkin that word "yuppie" was that acronymin for "young upward .... somethin or other". Does this mean it be the insult? I aint gettin this one, if it be. Next thing folks be sayin is words like "doctor" or "farmer" be the insult? Is this one of them "political correct" ones? If so, I aint gettin it now. As for Rube, he got the boot for some of them "PC" things dealin with them Japan folks. He still aint figured that one out now. He still be tryin too get them Edmund folks too be givin back that handle now. Good luck on this one now!

1. Were Tundra owners made yuppies by purchasing them, or were they yuppies before?

Aint got the knowin of all them folks that purchased them tundras now. Lots of them ones here seem too be.

2. Do yuppies buy big3 trucks?

Aint got the knowin of all them folks that purchased them big3 now. Lots of them ones here dont seem too be.

3. Do all S.C. farmers share your views? Just
    farmers? Just S.C. farmers? Just ignorant hicks?

Aint got the knowin of all them farmers now. Them farmers, and even ignorant folk, have the knowin of the meanin of "full size" though.

4. Is your usage of the term "yuppie" just so
    you can insult people without being banished like
    some of your other aliases?

Aint tryin too insult no folks now. Just tryin too get that truth out on them trucks. Some folks take them truths on them trucks as the insult, this be sad but true.

Good luck on this one now!
  • gpatkinsgpatkins Member Posts: 1
    I've owned the big 3 and 2 Toyota's. I think they are all excellant trucks and certainly have a purpose to serve in there respective areas. The key reason I bought the Tundra LTD was due to my experiece with my 91 Toyota 4x4, it has never been to the dealer (or other shop) for repairs, not once. I have done the minor maint. myself.
    Another reason is because it is smaller, and I agree by todays standards it may not be a 1/2 ton as compared to the big 3. But, it suits my needs perfectly as I only expect to tow approx. 5,000 pounds. I have noted the smaller differential and do hope it can handle the stress and heavy load. I guess I will have to trust Toyota on this one, but once again, previous experience is the basis for that trust.

Incidentally, my Tundra did come with a hitch and wiring harness. It was ready to go, so I don't understand comments about not having a hitch.

I certainly don't consider myself a yuppie just because I bought a Tundra. The big3 made a lot of money off me over the years.

I continue to read this topic with interest, but unfortunately I can't learn much from the banter.
    Well, as the definition of yuppie goes; Young Urban Professional, I guess I am guilty as charged, because I am all three. As far as trucks go, the best ones out there are the two that we are talking about here, the Ford F-150 and the Toyota Tundra. Both have there strong points and weaknesses. The Ford has more functionality, but it has that bad Ford reputation. The Toyota has the good reputation, but not as much functionality. This makes for a tough choice, as the Ford needs to improve quality and the Toyota needs to improve functionality. It makes a purchase of one of the two a tough choice because neither one has it all. That is the dilemma I am faced with, so I have chosen to wait a couple of years, to see if the Toyota becomes more functional, or the Ford becomes better quality.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    when faced with a decision...do nothing and wait?
    Good too see some folks be seein the truth on them limited ones. Most folks here wont be admittin that them limited ones aint "full size" and that them pumpkins be pee-wee sized now. Looks like that truth be startin too get out on these here limited ones now. Good luck on this one now!
  • 4weela4weela Member Posts: 1
    You gentlemen seem more interested in elitism than intellect. Let's talk trucks, not grammar.
    If Ford trucks have such bad quality then why are they the #1 selling vehicle on the planet,they outsell any car or truck by any manufacturer in the world,and they have been the best selling truck for 22 straight years over any import or domestic fullsize,midsize or compact.Chevy is a close second followed by the Ford Ranger.If you read trucksrme posts earlier.Domestic fullsize and compact are the top 7 out of 10 selling,8,9,10 were the TacomaNissanTundra.Thats close to 2 million trucks domestic to maybe 150,000 foreign.Why would so many buy if they were so unreliable and lacked quality.Its time to wake up and smell the coffee,this is reality and not Fantasy Island.Real men buy Real trucks.
    That should be real men and real woman buy real trucks...
    May 2000 Truck Sales

Make and Model Number Sold May
    1. Ford F-Series: 85,506
    2. Chevrolet Silverado: 59,160
    3. Ford Ranger: 33,739
    4. Dodge Ram: 32,704
    5. Chevrolet S-10: 19,310
    6. GMC Sierra: 17,846
    7. Dodge Dakota 17,004
    8. Toyota Tacoma: 12,746
    9. Nissan Frontier: 9,742
    10. Toyota Tundra: 9,016

Notice them UAW built, US of A ones be the top7, with them forien ones roundin up the bottom now. God bless that UAW! Good luck on this one now!
This discussion has been closed.