Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW X3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• mnovodvormnovodvor Member Posts: 14
    moneyball - thank you for your reply ( not much activity here...)

Are you treferring to CPO ( certified pre-owned) - they explain it costs them 2K to certify...
    Anyway - as you saw my email they said it was a mistake and it is 23,500 for CPO not including taxes... ( but they give 0.9% financing)

Michael
  • moneyballmoneyball Member Posts: 15
    Well, it sounds like you have a base model w/o sport or premium. As someone who is currently looking at the X3 models, I'd say that deal is a little high. You can do better.

In San Diego where I am, there is over 100 used X3s to choose from within a 50 mile radius. That favors the buyer. Not sure where your location is, but something to factor.

To give you can idea, I'm shopping between a couple of X7 models and negotiations are right around $24k. They have sport, premium, xenon, and bluetooth.

Again, I'd keep shopping if I were you unless you love your car and like the convenience of buying it outright.
    Just took delivery tonight. Price was $28275 + tax w/ CPO. In service date was 2/11/07. Your thoughts?

2007 X3 Auto
    20,900 Miles
    Sports
    Premium
    Xenon
    Heated Seats
    Gray Poplar Wood Trim
    Park Distance Control
    Navigation
    Premium Audio
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,586
    Wow! That's a lot of options!

Looks like a good deal to me... I'm not fond of PDC, though..

What color combo?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I'm with you on PDC. HATE it. Looks like a bunch of nipples all around the car. But, we wanted a loaded car so we had to make adjustments.

Silver Gray Metallic / Gray leather with the dark wood trim. Looks sharp. My wife and I will be sharing since I sometimes need a bigger car for work related trips.

They had a black on black that looked really sharp, but no options other than sport and xenon.

Next is to find me a loaded 2006 330ci with a MANUAL transmission. They are few and far between.
    We have Black Sapphire with gray leather and the gray poplar... The gray wood looks great with the gray leather..

I wish I could find a way to turn the PDC off, but no luck... It is useful for parallel parking, but that is about a once per week occurrence... Would have much rather had the Sport Activity pkg, or the full cold WX pkg, than that... but, it's hard to be choosy when buying used..

Concentrate on Performance Pkg 330Ci... most of them are manual, I think..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Agreed. Very hard to be choosy when buying a used car. In the end though, we're quite happy and fortunate.

I'm scouring the ads daily for a 330ci. There just aren't many to go around. Thanks for the tip.
  • mnovodvormnovodvor Member Posts: 14
    This info may help you if you are considering to purchase X3 after lease:
    I have purchased back my X3 2006 after the 3 year lease:
    2006 White X3 premium leather, privacy glass, heated front seats, otherwise standard
    29,000 miles
    Residual value $25,700
    Purchased at BMW Manhattan for 23,500 with 0.9% financing
    as a CPO (with extended warranty)
    At BMW Brooklyn I was quoted 29,000.
    Michael
  • whitney3whitney3 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know why there don't seem to be any (or hardly any) used X3 3.0i's (non-sport package) out there on the internet sites like autotrader.com? The ones that are listed are almost all the 3.0si models, which I take it means they have the sports package with the stiffer sport suspension. From everything I've read, I want the less stiff suspension that comes with the regular model, because the vehicle already has a stiff enough ride without making it worse with the "sport suspension", but there are hardly any non-sport models out there for sale, from what I've seen. Any thoughts?
    The Si denotes the newer 260 HP engine... That happened in 2007..

It has nothing to do with the Sport Package..

Hope that helps!
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• lawman1967lawman1967 Member Posts: 314
    I beleive that the 3.0si is just a year newer, not a designation for the sport package. the si should be the 07 and 08 models with the new engine and updated interior, while the 3.0i is the original 215hp engine and model year 04 through 06.

For 09 they are all XDrive 30i, but it is the same car as the 3.0si.
  • whitney3whitney3 Member Posts: 3
    Boy does that ever help. I feel stupid about that. I assumed (my daddy told me never to assume) that the "s" meant "sport". I kept thinking, "surely they didn't sell only sport package models." I'm straightened out now. Thanks.
  • jayvisjayvis Member Posts: 76
    A 2009 X3 with heated front seats and privacy glass has a dealer invoice of $38,125. You have to be one of the very few to ever have bought one under invoice, regardless of how it's equipped. Here in the Midwest, over 80% of BMW sales are through leases so it's virtually impossible to actually buy one with cash anywhere near dealer invoice. The dealers actually try to steer you toward a lease. That was one of the reasons I ended up buying a Lexus RX350.
    Yup, I'm very pleased. I emailed the dealership (Pacific BMW in Glendale, CA) and asked for the lowest price they could give on an in-stock X3. I did the same with about 8 other BMW dealerships and nobody else was close on account of only having loaded cars.

There was no pressure whatsoever to lease, and my wife's cars average about 35,000 miles per year (mine are at about 50,000) leasing just isn't an option.

We also looked at the RX350, nice car, but she preferred the feel of the X3.
  • jayvisjayvis Member Posts: 76
    I hope you don't mind me asking why you put so many miles a year on your vehicles. That has to be a huge expense.
  • newbmrnewbmr Member Posts: 26
    Hi Everyone,

I need your help again. I am looking for 2007 X3 and have a few 'preliminary quotes' from local dealers here in the Bay Area.

I also have a quote from a VW dealer -- the car is a lease return which the VW dealer says bought from BMW in an auction.

And finally, I have a quote from a self-described 'small, independent used car dealer'.

Note: All cars in question (i.e. BMW dealer CPOs, VW, and indie. dealer) advertised on Craigslist.

Here is my issue. Since I just started the process the local BMW dealer quotes are on the higher sides as compared to the those from independent used car dealer and the VW dealer.

Questions: What are the pros and cons of buying a CPO from a BMW dealer? Under what scenario would a deal from VW dealer or independent used car dealer make sense? Is it safe do buy a BMW from a non-BMW dealer?

I have never bought a CPO before and I am unable to assign a value to it. This forum helped me with my previous new car purchases: a new 2004 X3 and again last July for a '08 Acura TL. (Thanks for all your help!)

KYFDX and others: Looking forward to your insights and replies.

Best,

newBmr
  • daddymandaddyman Member Posts: 14
    If you are going to buy a 2007 AT I would HIGHLY recommend a CPO from a dealer. Not all, but by best estimate about 1 out of 10 of the 07's have transmission problems. A private dealer will be very limited in helping if you should be one of those ten. If you don't believe me read the many popular forums and ask yourself why there are so many 07's available. If you get one of the bad ones they can be an accident waiting to happen. :lemon:
  • jmcbmwjmcbmw Member Posts: 85
    I love my 2007 X3. It's got just what I need with Step, NAV, Heated seats, Rear Climate package and Xenons. My residual is $32K (24mo/15K lease) and I only have 24K miles on it. I did purchase the "Safe Lease" return damage coverage of up to $5K. Only in the past 3 months I have had someone separately hit the rear bumper and front bumper in parking lots and now both ends needs painting. Otherwise I have never had a problem and it's perfect. Anyway, BMWFS called me today and offered $7000 off the residual and 5.9% for up to 60 months if I purchased! I was planning to turn it in next month but now I don't know what to do! Seems like a very agressive purchase offer and I was very suprised to get the call. Opinions?
    is an outstanding purchase. If the car is trouble-free, I'd buy it.
    Seems like a good deal.. You will still have 2 years of warranty/maintenance..

However, if you take it, you won't be turning it in, and you won't be able to collect on your damage waiver, or get the bumpers painted on their dime..

I'd wait for them to call back.. Tell them you aren't sure you want it for $25K... maybe, they'll up their offer.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• blitz79blitz79 Member Posts: 1
    I wish I had read your post before purchasing a car from ferman bwm. here is my experience:

I purchased a 2007 Bentley Continental GT from Jack Price at Ferman Wholesale/BMW (deal 47369 on feb 27 09) for 94,799.95, which was paid through wire transfer. I found Jack through eBay and contacted him directly to negotiate the price. I was told that the car was immaculate and that they have a wholesale guarantee that if the car is not as describe they would void the sale. I did a car fax and auto check on the car. I was also sent info from Jack on how the car was already pre-inspected.

http://ferman-bmw.ebizautos.com/detail-2007-bentley-continental_gt-3404921.html

I was told that we would agree on the price, send a deposit, make payment and then I would bid on eBay at the agreed price. I sent the deposit & full payment by wire transfer. I told jack that I would still do a full Bentley dealer pre-purchase inspection when the car arrived. Jack reassured me that the car is perfect. The car arrived a week later and upon receipt I noticed that the engine was making weird sounds. In addition, the car had dents and scratches that were should not have been there given the descriptions from Jack. I contacted him right away to mention these issues. Jack told me that they would pay to have the scratches and dents removed. He was surprised to see the damage when the car left.

I sent the car to Bentley to have the pre-purchase inspection. The car had significant damage to it. They found that the undercarriage was heavily damaged through some sort of impact and had rusted. The damage even hit the brake line and exposed the line. They also found that the brake rotors & pads were heavily scored and needed replacing. They also found that underneath the rear of the car there was two holes cut out to attach a towing or bike rack mechanism. They also found that the windshield had a rock chip and other chips & scratches on the car. The car also had multiple spots where the paint's clear coat was peeling. They mentioned that the front bumper was removed ad then replace with non-standard Bentley screws & nuts, which are now rusted. The wheels of the car are worn on the inside edge to where they should be replaced. Overall, they said that the damage would cost about $9-10k to repair.

I contacted Jack to request that they void the sale. I am not interested in a car with so many issues / stories given the price that I had paid for the car and how it was described to me. Jack turned me over to Jeff Stern, his manager. Jeff told me that returning the car is not an option. I showed Jeff the ebay auction and the link to the ferman site to show him the guarantee. He later told me that we did’t do the deal through ebay so it would not apply to me. Up until this point both Jack and myself were conducting the deal for the point of ebay. This was the first that I had heard of this and told that the auction was closed. I told Jeff that the auction and the ferman site listed above is how the deal was presented to me and thus should apply to me. I spoke with Jack who then told me that even if the guarantee applied, he would just take the negative feedback from ebay and not void the sale.

Jeff told me that I only have 3 options: 1. Use the 500 towards the car repair, 2. Pay for the repairs myself or 3. Sue them. I was appalled and shocked that he said this to me. This is no way to do business.

Jeff suggested that we work with a friend of his who works for a dealership Los Angeles to do the repairs at cost on the car. However, they would need the car for a few days and that I should drive it to them. Jim needs the car for a few days so I shipped them the car and told Jeff that it would be unreasonable to drive from where I live in Berkeley, Ca. I was quoted the cost of the repairs to be $2,892.50 including the cost of shipping. The repairs exclude replacing the wheels or the brake rotors & pads. Jeff has told me that he is only authorized to contribute $500.

Their contribution to the repairs of the car is not acceptable and an insult me. I was lied to and the car was misrepresented. I have been told that Ferman's GM, Peter Gulotta is angry and wont contribute more to the repairs because had a higher offer for the car after I sent the deposit.

Buyers Beware! For the amount I paid, I shouldn't have to have any of these issues. If they would do this on an expensive used car, I can't imagine what they would do to other buyers of used or new cars. Their verbal promises mean nothing and their written promises mean nothing. I have put everything I have into this car or otherwise I would sue them.
  • jmcbmwjmcbmw Member Posts: 85
    Thanks for the input. I agree, it's a tough call but the damage waiver is nice. Maybe I'll turn it in, wait for them to fix the bumpers and try to buy it back as a certified model! We'll see. I'm considering both new and used vehicles but this has been a very good BMW.
  • ladybmwladybmw Member Posts: 3
    I have a possible opportunity to puchase a 2005 CPO X3 3.0 for 19K with about 34K miles. Any thoughts??? I thought this was a great deal. This would be my 1st BMW purchase :shades:
    Is it better to finance with the dealership of go externally?

• acracklacrackl Member Posts: 10
    I am in the market for a new (2009) X3, in Houston. Looking to purchase and not lease. Edmunds is mentioning a Cash to Dealer incentive of $4000 (CANNOT be combined with the 1.9% special financing). I am inclined to take this and go with a rate of 4% for 60 months with the credit union.

Has anyone obtained this? Going by what I am reading (about getting best price on a new vehicle), should I be aiming for "Invoice - $4000" as the true dealer cost?

Many thanks,

Andy V
    Ladybmw, I am in a similar situation, as you can see from my post. However, in my case it makes financial sense to take the rebate and finance elsewhere. The rebate (if I can get it) is $4,000, with a best finance rate of 3.99% (from credit union). Whereas if I forgo the rebate, I can get 1.9% from BMWFS. I used this simple calculator at cars.com to calculate the money saved.

http://www.cars.com/go/advice/financing/calc/incentivesCalc.jsp

Along the same lines, I would stay away from less known banks/finance companies any dealership may try to steer me into. All cars where I have took dealers' finace options were with the car manufacturers - example: Lexus/Toyota Financial.

AV
  • jvergjverg Member Posts: 8
    Here's another idea if you qualify as a "loyal" customer (which means, I believe, that you have had either a loan/lease with BMW FS in the last 6 months): take the $4,000 truck money and combine it with the $1,500 loyalty incentive. You WILL need to finance at the standard rate which is somewhere around 5.9%. BUT, you only have to stay in that loan for 6 months after which you can refi through your credit union or whatever. Based on a 60 month loan calculation you should be able to squeeze $1,300 out of that $1,500 incentive - the $200 or so difference would get eaten up by the 5.9% loan for 6 months. I was going to run this scenario myself which was, btw, approved/endorsed by my local dealer. In my case, I couldn't gain access to a better rate after the 6 month window so I had to scrap the purchase.

Good luck.
    I don't qualify for the loyalty - don't have either. But check this out if you have not already. They advertise 3.99% for used car loan as well - if that is what you are looking for. Along the same lines, interest rates/promotions do change over time and this may not be available in 6 months.

https://www.penfed.org/productsAndRates/loans/vehicleLoans/autoLoans.asp
    Thanks for the response! It was helpful.
  • jurajura Member Posts: 3
    Thanks everyone for your contributions to this excellent forum. You are really helping to democratize the car buying/selling/leasing process from our (the drivers) standpoint. I'm hoping others who have recently been in the same situation as I am, can share some pearls of wisdom.

My 39 month lease is coming due Aug 1st on my 06 x3 with premium, cold, xenon lights options. I will be about 4,500 miles above my mileage limit of 32,500 (total of about 37K or less). The vehicle has a few minor scratches etc. which I suspect they will ding me for, and my tires will be borderline as well. I have pre-inspection scheduled in two weeks to see if/what I am up against on minor damage repairs.

I got the BMWFS call last week and they were surprisingly eager to offer me a $5k discount of the residual price of 28,300 (offered at $23,300) plus $1k off the "normally priced" $2,900 extended warranty through 6 yrs/100k miles. They also offered financing at a mediocre sounding 6.4%.

We like the car -- had no real issues with it and it fits our lifestyle well. If we buy it, we avoid mileage and any damage costs, and get back our $400 deposit. So, I am pondering my options. The relative ease by which they offered the $5k residual price discount in our first convo suggests they may be willing to do a bit more e.g. package 0.9% interest rate and/or warranty etc.

I would love to hear from anyone who has negotiated more favorable lease-end purchase terms than what BMWFS offered initially. Also, is the BMWFS 100k warranty typically worth it? Thanks in advance!
  • dedewhalededewhale Member Posts: 2
    My lease is up at the end of July I have a 2006 X3. My residual value to buy the car for 26,600. (I have around 35,000k miles (which is under the 45,000 i have for the lease). BMW finance never called me, it was only the sales rep. After discussions they came back with a lower price of $24,200. Interest rates at 7.9% financing.

They came back the next day and offered $23,110 and that will include them making it a certified pre owner vehicle so it will have they extended warranty (100,000k miles) built in and I qualify for the special interest rates which range from (.9 to 3.9) based on the term of the loan. Only catch is I may need to buy need tires to qualify if they dont pass.

I should add they forgave the last month on my lease.
  • arivandarivand Member Posts: 1
    I am in the process of buying a new 2009 X3 3.0L. Any thoughts on the current price with premium package (ZPP) and on board Navigation system (609)? I live in Delaware and would like to get some dealer recommendation in Delaware,
    Maryland or in southern PA? I remember reading about 4K incentive to the dealers back in May. Is that still available?

thanks
    arivand
  • craigrs24craigrs24 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 X3 coming off lease in November. It has 28k miles and the residual value of $28.5. Do I go to my original dealer or can I shop the purchase? What kind of discount can I expect off residual value?
  • jsayjsay Member Posts: 2
    I currently have a very well equipt 2006 X3. I lease it for $443 a month and 2,000 down. Now I am getting a quote of $4,500 down and $549 a month. I am looking to lease or purchase a 2009 x3. Has anyone had any luck getting a good deal. The lease rates for the 2009 X3 and almost the same as the x5. Does anyone know of any purchase of lease programs that make this car as affordable as it was in 2006? It seems like BMW is trying to deter the sales and leasing of the 2009 X3.
    Follow-up to my earlier post... unfortunately, because BMW changed the residual value and incentives on the X3 effective July 1, BMWFS would not honor the original offer of a $5K discount off residual value of $28,300. The best offer I could get from my dealer was $24,600 after deposit. I then went to another local dealer and was able to get an improved offer of $24,100 after deposit with condition that I pay hardcosts of converting to CPO (i.e. inspection/warranty cost of $1,800 plus tires and any other reconditioning expenses). I then took this offer back to the original dealer and gave them an opportunity to retain my biz. They offered another couple hundred bucks off the buy out price, which I am now likely to accept. Just not sure if I will go with CPO. What I've learned from this process is that the market for X3's has really strengthened in the past couple months, which is surprising and annoying:) Good luck!
    I think the market for used X3s as strengthened, because the lease cost for a new one is so high, that they basically can't be leased..

Unfortunate timing for those coming out of leases.. not just the '06 models, but cheap 24 month leases on '07s are coming due, as well...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

My car has 36,600 miles on it with warranty expiring May 2010... would you recommend getting the CPO to extend the warranty? Does it add resale value? Also, do you have any suggestions for how I can negotiate the best deal on the CPO process (i.e. what I should push for them to cover as part of the "hardcost" $1,800 fee)? I know I will need to buy the tires separately and brakes if wear has <50% wear left... thanks in advance for any insight!
    The CPO warranty will be great for you... not too sure about resale value, as it only extends the warranty for 33 months from the end of your lease. If you aren't going to keep it that long, then I wouldn't buy it at all.

A pretty good discussion about end of lease options on an X3 starts here.

The gist of it is: Check with your dealer... they may make you a better deal than BMWFS. (Though, be warned... if your dealer buys the car and re-sells it to you, you will be liable for end-of-lease charges).

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• andymsnandymsn Member Posts: 22
    My sister is considering a CPO'd 2007 X3si, 26,500 miles, with cold, trailer/camper package and 18" wheels, privacy glass black/black leatherette. It's a one-owner, local lease return. Maintenance records reflect the following work done since new:

Replaced defective radio
    Replaced steering wheel (possibly related to defective radio?)
    Replaced defective muffler.

Dealer's sticker asking price is $32,990.

Clearly, they're going to have to negotiate. I'm not terribly concerned about the stuff that was fixed because she'll still have about two years left on the original warranty and then will go into the CPO for the remaining two years.

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated! Her oldest brother (me) has owned a 2002 530i and a 2001 740i, and we're almost there in converting her but she's got to have the right deal.

Thanks!
  • sapa7sapa7 Member Posts: 1
    I am just starting to look at x3s. Went to the dealer and they are offering a 2006 x3 premium package, and xenon lights with 34k miles. It has extended warranty, and brand new tires.
    Offered at 27.9k.
    Their initial offer was to take off about 300 $.
    Considering what I have read so far I would think they should be able to get below 25k. What is a fair price for the car?
  • pp2009pppp2009pp Member Posts: 228
    Brand new BMW X3 with problems, see my other posts on the various X3 threads.

Just for giggles, asked about selling it back to the dealership after 1 month and <500 miles on it.

Loss: 20% of purchase price.

Not so much in the giggle department. :lemon:
    Just for giggles, why don't stop crapping all over the X3 threads. 1 lemon does not make for a defective car line. My wife had a brand new 2007 Toyota Camry, largely regarded as one of the most reliable cars on the market, but it was a rattle trap with shimmying brakes from day one. She traded it on a 2009 X3 in February, last 15,000 trouble-free miles later it remains THE BEST-BUILT, MOST RELIABLE, LEAST TROUBLESOM and ZERO DEFECT car that either of us has ever owned.

We are so delighted with the build quality that when I trade in my Mercedes early next year I'm going to look for a nice CPO 2007 or 2008 X3 for myself.

Of course my great experience doesn't make the X3 a troublesome car line any more than your experience makes it a troubled one.

The fact is the X3 uses largely the same parts as the previous-generation 3-series, a well-liked and reliable car if ever there was one, and the engines and transmissions from the current 3-series, also a rather highly-regarded car. There is nothing about the X3 that makes good engines and transmissions bad.

Face it, you got a bad one. Maybe your car was put together on the Monday morning after Oktoberfest, but it is hardly representative to the entire line.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,342
    Face it, you got a bad one. Maybe your car was put together on the Monday morning after Oktoberfest, but it is hardly representative to the entire line.

Exactly!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

"Face it, you got a bad one. Maybe your car was put together on the Monday morning after Oktoberfest, but it is hardly representative to the entire line. "

Did I ever say it was? I am talking about my car and my personal experiences.

I am trying to figure out what is wrong with my car and how to fix it. Since my car will eventually be up for resale as well, I do not have a vested interest in outlining its problems either. However, the situation is bad enough that I am willing to take the risk of poor resale in order to figure out what the heck is wrong with it.

So far, I have found (through talking about my car) that it might have the well-known transmission problem causing rocking, it might have a cv joint problem causing bucking from the front bumper, it might have asthma or allergies....I do not know. I am currently trying to figure out if there is something amiss in the seat as I feel the side to side swaying behind the driver's seat after going over minor imperfections in the road.

Who knows what I will find today? The hunt continues until I figure out what it is.

I do not see a folder for Prices When Sold and Selling Experiences.

Does anyone know when it makes sense to sell a brand new 2009 X3 AT in favor of a different car from a different manufacturer?

Right now, to sell it back to the dealership costs about 20% of the purchase price. That means that driving this :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: around for 1 month cost 20% of the purchase price. It also means providing more profit to the dealer and BMW which just adds insult to injury even though I do not blame the dealer.

Caveat BMW.

I suspect that driving it around for 6 months, unless I am putting more than 1500 miles on it in a month i.e. significantly more than average, doesn't cost much more than 20% of the purchase price. Has anyone actually done this with a
    BMW or similar car?

I'm just looking for options. I don't know yet if this qualifies for lemon lawing although it still may since it appears to be picking up new ticks.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,414
    You're going to get killed either way, today, tomorrow, or 6 months from now - pick your poison. You have an '09 x3 that had an MSRP somewhere in the $40K ish neighborhood. The dealer has to buy it back from you and sell it at a profit for significantly less than a new '09 X3 (0 miles). If you are truly unhappy (and it seems like you are), then shop the car around. Get quotes from your dealer (which you have), I hear carmax always offers more than a dealer does, try other BMW dealeships. You never know. Good luck!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Difficult to say. Right now I am so angry about this :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: that I am not going to make any quick decisions.

This HOJ may head back to the dealership yet again this week as the cold weather apparently exacerbates the well known problem with the AT. Unbelievably, things could actually get worse with this HOJ.

I will say that that along with others who have been saddled with BMW JUNK, I am happy to relate my personal experiences with as many people as I can. I could have paid 1/3rd of the price and not had anywhere near this kind of headache.

BMW is not a premium brand, it is just a car company selling over priced, under performing cars. And, no, I do not think BMW cares one iota about disgruntled customers. Note the huge number of transmission problems in a variety of BMW models from earlier this decade at noreverse.org. There, you can read a litany of complaints about new transmissions costing thousands of dollars to replace because one day the BMW simply refused to go into Reverse,

You can also go to the forums on the BMW X3 Automatic Transmission problems. There are also a litany of complaints spanning three years about this same set of problems.

What a nightmare.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter is looking to speak to consumers who have recently purchased a compact SUV in the past six months. If you&#146;ve downsized from a larger SUV, please let me know. Please send your daytime phone number to ctalati@edmunds.com by Friday, October 2, 2009.
  • akjuakju Member Posts: 6
    HI, I got a offer of a 2009 BMW X3, CPO, 11000 miles, full loaded, MSRP $51200
    $38000 OTD
    is this a good deal?
    Wow, that's a 25% decrease in the price of last year's car. Talk about depreciation.

OUCH.

Have you driven it yet? It isn't a good deal if it has the AT and ride issues which it should. Have you looked at a less well-endowed X5 instead?

I would really drive it over varied roads at various speeds and up and down hills to see how comfortable (or uncomfortable) it is. Does it jerk back and forth when accelerating? Does it slow down hard when coasting to a stop? Does it hesitate when accelerating from a stop? Does it bounce around on less than perfect roads?

All I can say is OUCH. 25% over 11,000 miles?