Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW X3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• akjuakju Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for your input!

That X3 has been listed over 2 months and still there. I did not to to test drive it. The dealer is 200 miles away from my home. Right now the dealer decrease the list price from $39954 to $38956. I am sure I can get it on $38000 OTD. However, this X3 has black exterior and black interior. I saw a similar color in another closed dealer and I hate everything black inside. So I would not consider this one.
  • MLB6MLB6 Member Posts: 12
    OUCH. 25% over 11,000 miles? To the original owner that's MORE OUCH! I had my 07 X3 for almost 3 years, still cost me close to $1 per mile depreciation before running costs. That's per HORRIBLE and UNBEARABLE mile.
  • pp2009pppp2009pp Member Posts: 228
    I'm with you. After coming to the conclusion that my 2009 X3 was the single most uncomfortable car I had ever driven much less owned I decided to figure out what depreciation was: 20%...in 1 month. Even then I thought hard about it.

I am still hoping for some s/w improvements and for some engineer at BMW to finally figure out what is going on with the suspension....I know I will be waiting until he** freezes over but such is life with the X3.

It really is too bad. The X3 has many nice features including great handling, great brakes, well thought out interior, utility + luxury, tight turning radius, great pano roof and plenty of power even for its 2 tons. When it is behaving itself it is great fun to drive.

:cry:
  • mar1an1mar1an1 Member Posts: 38
    Hi, I came to this site to search for any experience and reviews about bmw x3 from the current owners. I guess you're not having good time with this car.
    I'm just wondering... with all the recalls with toyota, have you ever tried to contact the manufacturer? I betcha that they would start taking consumer's complaints seriously these days. From what I read on the net, it seems that you're not the only one having issues with bmw.
  • tedtoddtedtodd Member Posts: 4
    edited March 2010
    we had leased 2004 2.5liter x3, and then bought it after the lease ran out. it now has 120k on it, and my wife still loves it, but a few minor things are wrong. so we just bought a 2007 X3 with 37k on it. better color, bigger engine, premium package and winter package for $27.5k. they also gave us 1k more than our car was worth. but we both really love the x3 and think it blows away it's competitors in that price range.

my only question is whether we should purchase the Service Contract...the car has 50k service, and 100k b2b...but you have to fully maintain the car in order to keep the 100k warranty active. first- is that true?
    2nd- the service contract costs $1850 or so. truly it's only good until 100k or 6yrs....so 02/2013. i believe the scheduled maintenance is 30k, 60k....and maybe one more. plus oil changes, and i know the brakes and rotors usually get replaced together at the 60k....that can cost $700+. (not really sure) and oil changes are probably about $100/each.

anyone think this service contract is worth it? the payments spread over the 5yr payment period at 3.9%...but the useful life of that contract is only 3 yrs.

thoughts?
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    Find out how much the dealer charges for the @3 services required between 50K and 100K, throw in the cost of a coolant flush, a brake fluid flush, and a four wheel brake job(you are correct about the 60K interval) and see if it adds up to over $1850. It may be close if you have the dealer perform all the work, and appreciably less if you have a good indie BMW shop handle it.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,199
    edited March 2010
    Do you put 20K mi/yr on your vehicle? It sort of looks like you do, considering the mileage on your '04.

If that is the case, then you'll have 97K on your car by the end of the warranty, and also the extended maintenance plan, if you decide to buy it. That gets you maximum use out of the maintenance plan. That said, there may be some wiggle room in the price... you may be able to negotiate a couple of hundred lower.

If you don't do the scheduled maintenance, then a warranty claim could be denied, if they tie the problem to the lack of maintenance (not hard to do). As roadburner noted, you can get the maintenance done more cheaply at a good independent BMW repair shop. However, that might be inconvenient, as you'll be going to the dealer for warranty work, anyway.

The advantage of buying the maintenance plan, is you don't have to worry if any vehicle problems are maintenance or warranty related, as you'll be covered for either. I would guess that if you are going to come close to the 100K mileage limit by the end of the plan, it will probably pay off (especially if you can negotiate a discount from that price. You might have a little less leverage, since you've already purchased your car.

One final note: You described your warranty as B2B... That may be true for the original warranty that expires at 50K miles, but the CPO warranty that kicks in at 50K, while good, is far from comprehensive, in comparison to the base warranty.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

ty for the replies.

you've provided good reasoning. i've also looked for the independent bmw mechanics around me, and i think i should probably just pay for it all now and then use the dealers for all maintenance. it would be a different story if i knew the independent mechanic, but otherwise i may feel like i'm being ripped off, and then i'll probably have to haggle with the dealers over warranty issues if anything arises.

i may as well just keep it easy on myself. and you're right, we'll def hit 20k a year with the car, and that will get us right to 100k, making everything covered and worry free.

what i don't like is the business manager saying that it's spread out over 60 months...when in fact its useful life is only 3 years. she also said it would be an asset, and if we traded the car back in at some point, there would be some equity in that service...but we're not likely to trade it in within 3 years, and it will pretty much expire worthless after 3 years, yet still be a part of our payoff possibly leaving us upside down when the time comes.
    Well... look at it this way.. It may be worthless at the end of three years, but you'll still get the full use of it. It's value isn't really related to the term of your loan, but independent of it.... (if you paid cash, is the maintenance plan worth any less? Nope).

If the loan terms are good, then finance the cost.. if they aren't so good, then pay cash for the plan upfront, if it helps you sleep at night..

It may cause you to be upside down, if you sell at the 100K mark, but in the big picture, you will probably be better off (no maintenance costs for the next three years).

Good luck with it... It's very seldom that someone's driving needs and the current mileage match up so well with the warranty and maintenance expiration... You really will see full value for those extra costs.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

excellent. thanks for your help with the logic.

we did get a good financing deal, so that combined with a good price and an excellent trade-in price.....we should be very happy.
  • 4getbmw4getbmw Member Posts: 2
    I would strongly advise anyone considering an x3, or any other BMW for that matter, to seriously reconsider. I have been appalled and disgusted with my x3 and the lack of concern that BMW has demonstrated throughout my own personal nightmare (which BMW likes to refer to as "JOY" in their tv ads). Purchased as a CPO vehicle 13 months ago, this car had only 24,000 miles on it and looked like a brand new vehicle (2005 model). In one year, this car has been in the shop for repairs 11 (yes, eleven) times. From brakes being replaced, transmission issues, fuel injector leaks, cracked vacuum line, exhaust issues, suspension issue, computer problems, coolant leak and many other problems that have led me to the brink of insanity.....the office finds nothing wrong with this situation and says that it
    really isn't that unusual. Essentially "thanks for buying. Take care.". So I would
    suggest before you spend your money on a product that the manufacturer won't
    even stand behind, to please think twice. And CPO....means nothing, don't waste your time.
  • 4getbmw4getbmw Member Posts: 2
    To the person who so kindly told me to stop crapping all over the message boards about my nightmare x3, I'm sure you're equally angry at all of the follow-up comments with others unhappy with their BMW products. I'm happy for you and your wife for having such a great experience, but mine has been crappy. And because BMW sees no reason to do anything for me ( and claims that 14 days in the shop in one year is not a big deal ), I'm going to share my experience on the message boards and with anyone else who will listen. It's all about corporate greed and I'm tired of it. This whole experience has been completely absurd. Gotta run now, the leaking fuel injectors have been repaired....maybe the 11th time in the shop is the charm!
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    Thanks for the helpful information. My experience with BMWs has been so bad that I've only owned nine of them(and still have three). My wife's 2004 X3 has also been a disaster; it's required one warranty repair(an SRS sensor) in over 90,000 miles of gentle use. And brakes only last 60,000 miles, tires even less(48,000 miles). I think that it might even need a serpentine drive belt at the next Oil Service, which means the belt only lasted 98,000 miles. To top it off, I recommended CPO X3s to a couple of my friends and their experience has been eerily similar to mine. And don't get me started on my 1995 3 Series; repairs and maintenance costs(including multiple sets of Z-rated track rubber) are averaging 5 cents per mile over the 15 years I've owned and tracked the car.
    What pieces of junk.
    :mad:

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

... back to Prices Paid...

Thanks!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• fougasseufougasseu Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2010
    I bought a Certified '07 X3 with around 40,000 miles, new tires, outstanding condition, Premium Package and Cold Weather Package - (no sports package, wasn't interested) - Sirius radio, heated steering wheel, Xenon lights, etc., paid 28k. Got what I wanted on the trade. Very pleased with the deal, an easy, hassle-free, no-games transaction.
    Purchased at a new BMW dealership in Minnetonka, Minnesota.
  • ddjjddjj Member Posts: 1
    looking at a 2009 x3 with 35 miles. Price seems ok but not great especially since as soon as I drive off the lot the value will drop ridiculously. Also since bmw does not do 0% not sure what to expect with excellent credit. Any opinions on how to get a good deal or even what would make a good deal? Thanks
  • kperesskperess Member Posts: 29
    Looking at a 2007 X3 with the following:
    Monaco Blue w/ sand leather interior
    30K miles
    Auto trans
    Premium package
    Cold Weather package
    Privacy glass
    Heated steering wheel
    xenons
    park distance control
    Storage package

Salesperson is saying it is coming off lease and should sell for 28K

Two questions:

1) Is this a good price?
    2) How close to the residual would you say the asking price is?

Thanks, in advance, for any help.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    I have an '07 X3 with steptronic, rear privacy glass, heated front seats, & metallic paint (Montego Blue).

It is due back at the end of July and I think the residual is something like $26K & change. Remember, dealers don't pay the same for thx lease returned BMWs that retail customers do.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

we bought the exact same package a few months ago. different color, but 2007 x3 with 30k miles for $27.5 AND got an extra $1k on our trade. these cars are in high demand, so you can't do too much negotiation, but luckily this dealer had many on their lot and were trying to move as many as possible.
    Thanks for the quick response and the info.
    Thanks for the info.
  • kukukukukuku Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,
    My 2007 BMW X3 (~36k miles, premium, winter, xenon, heated wheel) has a $29500 residual at the lease end.
    For how much do you think I could buy this car and with whom (and how..what to say,etc) I should negotiate (dealer or BMFS) ?
    thank you all for your help.
  • hugepatsfan10hugepatsfan10 Member Posts: 2
    Planning on buying an X3 this summer. I've done all my online research and now I'm visiting two dealerships tomorrow. The car I'm interested in is an 08 model CPO white with black interior with 29,000 miles. It is the basic x3 without the sports or premimum package. The dealer has it listed for $32,900. What would be a reasonable offer for this car? Any information would be great. This is my first BMW so I have no idea how much money I can knock off the sticker price and I want a good idea before I go to the dealer.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    With the brand spankin new 2011 X3 due to hit the showrooms by the end of the year, you can bet the BMW dealer will come way down off ther asking price for an '08 X3. Go in, with an aggressive out the door offer of $26,500 + tax. If they try to bump you up, politely thanks them for their time, & walk out. BMW cheap leased these X3s out (I have one) & there are plenty of '07 & '08 CPO X3s to choose from. Good luck & keep us posted!

The X3 is a fantastic vehicle & you're going to be really happy with it. We have to turn our '07 X3 back in to BMW at the end of the month.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• crucialcrucial Member Posts: 35
    +1

32900 is a lot of $ for 08. with that kind of $ you can get newer GLK350, RDX,Murrano, EX35, SRX (not to offend BMW fans here)

On second thought , why not hook up with this guy for a better deal on a CPO 07 X3s?
    You can do better. I picked up a loaded CPO 2007 X3 with 26K miles and it cost 27K otd.

Check the CPO's listed on the BMW site and then do some cruising of cars.com. I agree that you can negotiate a better deal.

Also, I believe that the dealers still have $5K available to give on new X3s (this is the build out money. When I was considering a new one I was able to talk the sales person into at least a $6500 reduction off of list.
  • pp2009pppp2009pp Member Posts: 228
    Whatever happened to your X3 situation?

I have had mine about a year now and it runs exactly the same as before. In other words it bounces all over the place, is quite uncomfortable and has the same bizarre transmission. It has low miles so nothing has broken yet.

I hope the multiple repairs have done the job and held the car together for you.

Ignore the cheerleaders. Some people simply cannot understand a situation unless they have actually experienced it. Too little imagination and absolutely zero empathy.

:)
  • kevinzzzkevinzzz Member Posts: 1
    2007 CPO X3, 25k mile

premium leather, garage opener, bluetooth, 18' premium wheel.
  • kmbrlymcdkmbrlymcd Member Posts: 1
    Time to turn in our leased 525 and want to get an X3. Dealership says 10 will be shipped by end of the year. Is there any negotiating room on price since these cars are in high demand?
  • silverhuntersilverhunter Member Posts: 9
    It is okay, not a rip-off, but could be a little better. I spent a month looking and saw what you described offered from $26k to $30.6k. In Mass, where I live, the prices seemed a bit higher. I landed a 2008, prem, cold weather, priv glass, heated wheel. B/T (part of prem), leather and navigation, 31,100 miles for $29,200. I did notice that when a dealer has more than 4 or 5 they offer one at a lower price (bait and switch?), but it might be one with a hideous color scheme (silver gray w/ beige interior comes to mind). I got to one dealer that is 50 miles from home and someone was test driving the 2008, black/black, prem, col, nav for 28,780 when I arrived, the bastards bought it, I waited for 20 minutes to make sure their financing went through. The dealer offered up another car, same overall, but with 5k more miles and the xenon and they wanted $34,279. We could not come to terms. btw the xenon cost a fortune to replace.
  • mar1an1mar1an1 Member Posts: 38
    Signed a promise to buy pending inspection and test drive for an 08 CPO X3 with premium package, cold weather package, rear privacy tinted window with 7k mile for $32,100. The sales manager haggled us for the extra $100. I'm quit unhappy about the haggling for $100 but hubby shook it off and agreed to it. :mad: Well... not the end of the world but I just don't like to be haggled for $100 especially after waiting in the showroom for 30 minutes++ and being brushed off by the original salesperson that I had an appointment with (he transferred us to a different salesperson because he was finishing up with the financing guy).

Can somebody tell me if this is a good deal? If not, any suggestion on negotiating further...... The car seems to be in good condition. We read the service history and this car only came back to the dealership twice during the 7k miles. Both for oil changes.

TIA for all the advises. We decided to go with the BMW because of the rude salespeople that we encountered at (believe it or not) most of the Lexus dealership in the area. We find each one of them to be the worst of the worst sales team in the luxury brands. And we have dealt with most of the luxury brands (Audi, Land Rover, Acura, Benz, BMW). This BMW dealership that we dealt with had been okay thus far and eventhough they haggled us for the extra $100, they're still 100 times better than their neighboring Lexus.
  • Firebird_EOUFirebird_EOU Member Posts: 250
  • sparty6sparty6 Member Posts: 1
    Test drove the new X3 last week and now negotiating. I know as a new vehicle it won't be easy, but is there any info available on invoice pricing vs MSRP? I built up a 28i w/ bunch of stuff and MSRP is $48,375-dealer is dropping only $1,000 off that. Haven't pushed him yet as I am waiting a few weeks, but trying to determine what if any real room there may be. There are a couple other competing dealers in the region, so can do that, but was pretty happy w/ the first dealer's demo, etc so want to give him the business if he wants it bad enough...thanks in advance for any insight.
  • dan12dan12 Member Posts: 114
    edited January 2011
    Build it through Edmunds and then send your desired car configuration online to mulltiple dealers. You should be able to do better than 1k off MSRP although some dealers may not be willing to cut further. You just have to find one who is willing. If you submit through Edmunds they know you're getting multiple bids.
  • Firebird_EOUFirebird_EOU Member Posts: 250
    carsdirect.com gets $1125 off MSRP. I don't know if any auto buying service like BJs, Costco, AAA could do any better.
  • mao1mao1 Member Posts: 1
    Just got about 5% off MSRP for 28i with packages. Worked out to $1K over invoice. Seems like a better bargainer could have a gotten a little more.
  • tyresmokertyresmoker Member Posts: 266
    I did just about 1k over invoice...$44.8k msrp.
    Very surprised as other dealers would not even consider anything more than a 1k discount.
    The classic was this dump of a store in eastern Connecticut- the wallpaper was literally peeling off of the walls in the showroom- sales manager was offering me an 800 discount off of msrp! I almost signed as long as he would promise to remodel the place!
  • silverforumsilverforum Member Posts: 5
    Based on some shopping around, it looks like $500-1000 above invoice will work with fleet/internet sales managers in the major regions. ($2.5-3.0 off a loaded X3)
  • mole7374mole7374 Member Posts: 5
    Ok everyone... wanted to see what you all thought about this deal, if I should pull the trigger as is or negotiate a little more? Also...wanted to get an opinion on which car to get (package)

Here is the vehicle:
    '11 X3 35
    Cold Weather
    Premium
    Sports Activity
    MSRP: 48,325 Sale Price: 45619 or,
    with Tech: MSRP 51200 Sale 48,357

I'm going select (or through credit union) BMW quoted select with 5K down, 576 on first deal, 615 on second.
    THoughts??
  • satishmsatishm Member Posts: 23
    Placed an order for a 2011 X3 3.5, White, Chestnut with $1000 deposit as follows for delivery in May 2nd week. Zip code 33029 - South Florida.
    Tech Package, Premium Package, Convenience Package, Satin Roof rails
    Cost including destination was $46950. USAA price was 47,340.
    Truecar says I paid about $550 over invoice.
    Dealer doc fees of $549, Sales tax and tag transfer were extra on top. Cash purchase.
    Good deal?

Thanks,
  • silverforumsilverforum Member Posts: 5
    not a bad deal at all. btw keep in mind USAA price includes MACO and doc fees (but not leasing fee) so 47,500 is spot on.
  • satishmsatishm Member Posts: 23
    Good to know silverforum, thank you!

Just to clarify for others, my USAA price certificate says "Your price does not include dealer documentation (processing), tax, DMV,registration,title,licenses and other government fees, or dealer installed accessories" so the $549 Dealer Doc fee is over and above USAA price.

So price I got was $46,950 + $549 + Tax + Tags whereas USAA price would be $47,340 + $549 + Tax + Tags. Both include MACO.
  • ramarulramramarulram Member Posts: 7
    Hi,
    I bought a 2011 BMW X3 28i w/

-premium pkg
    -convenience pkg
    -cold weather pkg
    -tech pkg
    -sport activity pkg

the order is placed with a deposit.

MSRP: $49375
    Invoice (Truecar):$45575
    Price I got: $46000 (got a good price for the trade-in)

Extras: Sales Tax (MA, 6.25%), doc fee $350, Reg $100

What do you guys think?

Is this a good deal?

Thanks.
  • relativejunkrelativejunk Member Posts: 8

Does this mean the price paid 46k includes your trade-in?
    What dealership did you work with? I'm trying to buy a similar car from Herb Chambers but they won't quote me a price, gettting such a run around.
    relativejunk: $46000 is the price for the new car, I mean to say that I got a good price for the trade-in too.

Do you think it is a good price?

Do you have a trade-in

I went to Herb Chambers to test-drive, they treated me like s**t and now they are non-stop calling me and sending me emails & mails.
    I got it from BMW Gallery Norwood, I did most part of the negotiation thru email & phone, it was easy when I went in, took just over an hour.

Good luck!
    ramarulram: Herb Chambers is still giving me the run around, lots of emails and calls w/no price. I should check out Norwood. Yes I have a trade-in. That's the part that's giving me stress.

I"m no pricing expert, but from other blogs, I'm trying to negotiate 250-300 over invoice. Which is about where $46k puts you.
    relativejunk: Yes, you should try other dealerships.
    I totally understand the trade-in being a stress, the dealer might want to see your trade-in to give you a quote, but try to negotiate the price over the phone/email.

I dono if we can PM here, may be we can chat sometime

Herb Chambers finally gave me a price $750 below msrp. I'm sure I can do better. And it makes me think you got a great deal!
  • carlamorenocarlamoreno Member Posts: 15
    Good deal? Give me your thoughts

- 60 K service completed.
    - New Tires
    - SMOG check done .
    - Registration paid for until June 2012.

pics here
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/93894566N00/sets/72157627123943462/
  • skiyourskiyour Member Posts: 1
    Did you go to another dealer to compare the deal? That's the only way you can compare apples to apples. :) They leverage trade in with sales price, very confusing. It can appear that you got a good trade but they jack up the cost of the new car to make it up. I got a lease quote on the same x3 loaded to the gills with all option packages except convenience: $ 1000 Olympic test drive credit, BMW owner loyalty credits, and the Cap. cost reduction was $44,776. Mo. payment $575, no money down, 10K, $2800 upfront for taxes, 1st payment, etc. Hope that helps.