Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW X3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jbx3jbx3 Member Posts: 5
    With regard to getting out of your lease, have you tried Leasetraders?

It's a pretty cool internet site that brings buyers and sellers together and allows customers to release someone else's vehicle without all the big costs associated with terminating a lease early.

Because of the high residuals owed to the finance company that allow for lower lease mo. payments, it's pretty hard to sell your leased car and not get smacked finacially.

This may or may not be a good option for you but you might want to at least check it out.

Just wanted to pass along the info.
  • pjo1966pjo1966 Member Posts: 157
    Thanks for the suggestion...

I looked into swapalease, but Infiniti is one of the few leasing companies that will not completely release you from obligagtion when someone take over your lease. You remain on as a co-signer. Also, at $586/mo for the next 48 months, my car is not exactly a bargain.

Depending on how much cash I need to shell out up front, if I can save $100/mo or so on payments I can come out on top in the long run. The payment that kyfdx came up with would be perfect.
    I've got another one...

2004 X3 3.0
    Steptronic
    Sunroof
    Privacy Glass
    Leatherette
    MSRP $40,520
    Best they could do was Invoice + $1000 but they would eliminate some fees so that it was close to Invoice + $500. I'm still waiting for them to call back with final number.

Money Factor .070
    Residual 57%

Does the money factor make sense?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,588
    The X3 2.5 has a money factor of .0007

The X3 3.0 has a money factor of .0005

57% residual would be for 15K miles per year.

Looks like they are bumping up the MF, or might just have misquoted the 2.5 model MF. There are a lot of different MFs to keep up with, with all the different series and models.. would be easy to misquote that number.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    Original post: Hi, the dealers final price is 33705, which is 400 over invoice. but he says Mats are 100 extra! plus 299 processing fee. I think this is ridiculous. any thoughts????

Answer:
    Is $400 profit on a $33000 item ridiculous?

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

• khastakkhastak Member Posts: 18
    Please suggest a BMW Dealers with the best Prices in Cleveland (greater Cleveland) ohio. Secondly is it a good time to buy 05 model now or wait it Feb - March 05 ? I may buy BMW X3 2.5
  • parniparni Member Posts: 14
    why dont you pay 5K over invoice the next time you buy a car and then also bend over??
    who says about paying $5k over invoice?

if you end up with such a deal, and the dealer will only make $400 profit, how can you expect to get a freebies like mats thrown in. Those cost $$$ too.

Be happy you got such a good deal, if you don't want the mats don't take them!

• x3calidudex3calidude Member Posts: 1
    Is this a good deal? I ordered an X3, 2.5 with Sport Package, leather, cruise control and xenon lights, 6-speed for $33,000? Thanks
  • kohinahikohinahi Member Posts: 112
    2004 or 2005?? It's about $750 over invoice for a 2004. If the pricing is going to remain the same for 2005 models, it is definitely a good deal.

If the truck is a 2004, try to get closer to invoice ~ try to get it for $250-$500 over invoice. This dollar amount should include everything except for TTT.
  • bmwksrbmwksr Member Posts: 5
    Thanks kyfdx.
    I will wait for the 05 models and get one.
    will let you know when i got one.

Is the navigation system in BMW works good or not impressive?

Thanks again
    It looks like the 2005's will be hitting the dealers on November 1st. Is there a final word on MF and residual percentages yet?
  • parniparni Member Posts: 14
    My concern was about $299 processing. And I didnt buy the mats, got OEM BWM rubber mats instead mainly coz they are Washable.. thx
  • rroyce10rroyce10 Member Posts: 9,332
    "which is 400 over invoice. but he says Mats are 100 extra! plus 299 processing fee. I think this is ridiculous. any thoughts????"

Ridiculous.? .. hmmm, dealer has a $33,000 investment and you feel he can't make a profit on the floormats.? ... do you send last years Easter candy as this years Christmas present.? .... enjoy the vehicle, it's a Bimmer, not a Cavalier ................ ;)

Terry.
    Find out if the $299 processing fee is a standard dealer charge that's added on to every vehicle. If it is then you might have to cough it up. Remember when a dealer is making only $400 on a new $33000 vehicle, he will try to maximize his profits one way or another. I don't think you'd even hear about the processing fee if the dealer would have a reasonable profit from the vehicle (maybe over $1000). And you'd probably get the mats thrown in too.

I haven't been able to find an '04 X3 configured the way I want. If the '05's come in with the same results I will end up ordering one to my specifications. I've never done this before. According to my salesman this is the procedure:

1. hammer out details of new car
    2. negotiate price
    3. get ETA... about 2 months
    4. leave deposit ($1000 or so). this is refundable as long as they feel the vehicle is sellable if the deal falls through.
    5. wait
    6. negotiate lease deal when vehicle is in. this is the biggest question mark because there's no way to know what deals will be out there in December / January when the vehicle would be due in.

Does this sound like SOP?
    All except #6.. You can apply with BMWFS and lock the current program in until the end of the second month... IOW, you lock it on November 10th, and those numbers are good until the end of January.. Then, when you are ready to take delivery (assuming it is before the end of January), you can use the November program or the one that is in place at the time of delivery.

However, if your delivery is delayed, there are no exceptions.... Once your lock period expires, you must use the program currently in place..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

As always... your help is appreciated... thanks.
  • lojaklojak Member Posts: 7
    If you are in the market for an X3, wait and get the '05s! Especially if you're looking 3.0i. The 3.0i now come w/auto trans @ no cost, premium pkg for $1,800 including leather. I went to the dealer and he had a '04 w/premium, auto, leather, privacy glass, xenon, sat prep for MSRP $44,020, sell price $40,500. I thought, what a deal! But when I went on BMWUSA.com and configured an '05 with all the same packages, MSRP was only $41,245 - before discount. Why buy an '04 when you can get '05 for the same price? Besides, the '05 interior is so much better than the '04s now that it comes with standard wood trim.

I just placed an order for '05 X3 3.0i, auto, premium, heated seats, privacy gls, sat prep, Nav system for MSRP $41,995, sell price $40,995. Now that's a deal.
    Nav on BMWs are very good. I have 1 on my 325i sedan (had to get it because it was euro delivery and I'm not multilingual enough to ask directions in 3 different languages). We used it in Europe and didn't ask directions 1 time! It's fast and easy to use. I played with 1 on a Honda and after entering the address, it gave me one of those "loading...please wait 10% complete" msgs. What a joke! BMW Navs are instantaneous. I just love 'em.
  • markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    You're in the minority with your opinion on BMW nav systems. Tests routinely say they're among the worst and the Honda and Lexus systems among the best.

- Mark
    Basically the only reason I want the Nav is to have a larger display for Sirius and Bluetooth.

I agree the '05's are a better deal and the interior is much better. The invoice price on the '04 is just about the same on MSRP for the '05. It's a much better deal.
  • jane3jane3 Member Posts: 21
    I would like actual user info on the BMW navigation systems....my lease on my 325xi is up in december, and I am looking at the X3 3.0 and looking at the Nav option.....vs a Garmin aftermarket. I've used the Benz navigation system and it is fantastic.....
      any users out there with opintions? Do you know where I can go to find out peoples opinions on the nav of BMW?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    For an upcoming article, one of our editors is looking to correspond with women executives about what they drive – or wish they did – and why. If you’ve got an opinion, please email Joanne Helperin, using “execs” in the subject line, at jhelperin@edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Hi all, even after reading the boards, I still don't know if I negotiated right on a lease!! the facts are: 2004 X3 3.0 with leather seats, premium and cold weather pkgs, automatic, and pano roof. The cost of the car is $40790 and ended up with lease payments of $499....do you need more info? It is for 36mo/15k miles? The dealer was telling me he couldn't work a 2005, which isn't even in, for these numbers.....according to edmunds, the price is 3000 off, but because of time of year, etc...is this a good deal?
       I guess I have 3 days before it is final in the state of MA if I want to back out......
    1) Hard to know how good of a lease deal, because you didn't post the amount due at signing.

2) Your dealer was telling the truth.. Even though the '05 is cheaper, the lease deals are higher, because the residuals/money factors aren't as favorable.

3) There is no 3-day right of recision on car sales... Once you have signed and taken delivery, the deal is done.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Are the official residuals / money factors in for November yet?
    I'm sure they are.. I just hear about them the way you do.. By checking discussions on forums... Usually, its around the 5th or 6th before the info filters out..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• rfrithrfrith Member Posts: 18
    I have BMW Nav system on 2 cars and both are excellent. I also have a Garmin unit that I use when traveling on business in Rental Cars. Even though the Garmin system is okay it can't compare to the BMW NAV.
    the amount due at signing was $2500 (first month, fees, acquisition, etc)....
    It seems like a decent deal.. Do you have the car now? How do you like it?

(I try not to think too much about the price, once I've got the car..)

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• brett4brett4 Member Posts: 4
    OK - I really like the X3's. My first choice is the manual transmission - quite hard to come by in the remaining 04's. I have had one dealer give me a price of 29,500 on a demo car with 6k on it - is this a good deal? Warranty has been adjusted to 55k and 4 yrs. Now, on the other hand there is a plain (no frills) 04 X3 with the manual transmission at another dealer. I believe his price is a bit on the high side - $32k. On top of that, he told me if he did not sell this week, he would put it in "loaner status." (Personally, I find it difficult to believe they would put a manual in loaner service.) I would appreciate any sage advice from all of you. (kydfx - you always have a good perspective.) Thanks to all.
  • brett4brett4 Member Posts: 4
    I have to add to message #393 - the demo is an automatic with moonroof and satellite radio and luggage racks. And a very "aim-to-please" friendly dealer who came recommended. Hmm - manual or automatic...
    The demo seems like a good deal, but only if it is the car you want.. Also, the 4 years on the warranty starts from when they put the car in-service, not from when you buy it.

On the new one.. if you price it out.. it should be selling for about $500 over invoice... If he is asking more than that, its too much.. Manual shift SUVs have to be hard to sell..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Frankly, I'd rather people render opinion on something they've actually used. For me, I have used the BMW Navs and the Honda Navs (w/o voice recognition). I prefer the BMW Navs tremendously. Sure it's not fancy, but it does the job quickly, exactly, and properly - just like a BMW. Other may try to impress u with on-paper feature lists and wizbangs, but once you use it, you'll know the difference.
    Jane3,

Here's a breakdown of what a lease price should be,

Invoice per your config. $39,220
    +$500 dealer profit $39,720
    Cap Reduction $1,500 (out of your $2,500)
    Residue $23,434 (59% for 3 yr lse.)
    MF should be .00079 (1.9%, dealer may tell you 2.9% but 1.9% is available to 750+ CRC)
    Monthly lease chrg b4 tax $459.51

If you opt for more miles the residue would go down a bit and if the MF is .00121 (2.9%) the monthly should be $485.20.

Conclusion? You probably got a fair deal.
    My feeling on auto vs manual is that on the X3, go with the auto. Manual is fine on e 3 series sedan/coupe but to appreciate the X3 and the xDrive, auto is a better option. The demo sounds like a good deal but beware! I test drove a demo (not buying it but just to get the feel of the car), and they get abused quite a bit. You warranty might take care of mechanical issues but the hidden wear and tear may fall under "normal wear and tear", therefore not covered under the warranty. There are plenty of 04 X3s left w/auto, so if you want a deal, go for those.
  • rroyce10rroyce10 Member Posts: 9,332
    .......... If you "really" like and enjoy a manual and will "really" like and enjoy it in a base model in 2/3 years, then get it and enjoy it .... but, if your buying it to keep in budget, or you think you might be saving money, then do the *pass* dance .... these are extremely hard to sell or get a dealer to put any real money at trade time - kinda like the kiss of death and the resale value of mud ...................... ;)

Terry.
    kyfdx...

you had mentioned that if I were to order a car and I went through BMWFS I could lock in the current program for up to two months and then choose between the locked program and whatever the current program is when the car comes in. I asked my salesman about that. He informed me that I can only lock it in for 30 days. Is there a link you can point to where it is in writing so I can show him?

Thanks!
    No link.. just personal experience... The 60 days thing has always been the case.. and I know it to be good as recently as this past June.. I guess its possible it has changed.. You could ask-a-dealer.. And, I think you know where I'm telling you to do that?

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

you betcha... thanks...
    Also.. if you check BMW's website, you could probably get the phone number for BMWFS, and ask them directly... I think you can even apply online, and lock the rate in.. even before you've negotiated a deal.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks... as an aside, www.bmwusa.com has the current lease deals listed for November.
    According to Angie at BMWFS, it's up to each individual dealer to decide which program they want to offer. As for applying on-line, that is good for 60 days, but it's just a reference... the dealer could choose not to accept it. Also, once you are approved for financing on-line, that financing is good at one specific dealer only.
    Hmmm.. interesting..

IOW, BMWFS will lock it for 60 days.. But, your dealer may not participate.. I guess that is so the dealers can manipulate the program to their benefit, if they so choose..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• mgoodwinmgoodwin Member Posts: 1
    I'm trying to negotiate a lease for a 2005 X3 - I haven't told any of the dealers that yet - I'm at this point trying to negotiate purchase price first, then I'll ask them to base the lease on that price.

I keep getting "we have one low price so we don't negotiate" stuff. Each dealership has come down from MSRP $800-$1200 but refuses to go any further (they are still $2200 above invoice). I'm looking for help finding a dealer that will actually negotiate and not give me this one low price jargon? I'm in Denver, Colorado but I don't care where I get the car from, just trying to get a fair price. Any ideas?

goody
  • the_wormthe_worm Member Posts: 10
    I am new to leasing and am about to lease an 05 X3 3.0.

I asked the dealer for the current lease rates and here is what he told me.

money factor .00245
    residual value 36 months
    61% for 10k
    60% for 12k
    58% for 15k

I saw these rates posted on RF
    Money Factor .00210
    36 months
    Residual Value
    10k mi - 61%
    12k mi - 60%
    15k mi – 58%

So basically the same residual value but .00035 difference in money factor. Is that pretty standard for dealer profit?

Thaks
    1) If you are having the security deposit waived, that is a .00015 bump in the MF

2) Residuals are set by BMWFS and the dealer can't change them, so nothing to worry about there.

3) The maximum that BMWFS allows the dealer to raise the MF is .0004

4) I would insist on them using the base rates.. If they want extra profit, then I want them putting it in the purchase price, not hiding it in the finance office.

5) Base acquisition fee is $525.. BMWFS allows them to charge up to $725.. Watch for this also.

6) Many, many dealers bump the rates up.. Some don't.. It isn't unusual, but that doesn't mean you have to like it.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• the_wormthe_worm Member Posts: 10
    Thank you for the quick reply.

on #4)
    What are the base rates? Can you explain a little further so I can push for this. I assume these are the rates you refer to in #6.

Thanks in advance for your knowledge!
    On the X3

MF .0021
    Residual for 3yr/15K lease is 58%
    12K is 60%.. 10K is 61%

Base acquisition fee if $525

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator