Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW X3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Add 3% to the 15K residual numbers for 10K.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• haakonhaakon Member Posts: 24
    Thanks for the info. Where can one obtain the residuals percentages?
  • mvs1mvs1 Member Posts: 462
    These rear seat entertainment packages while warranted under the manufacturer are sourced out through another company, maybe Audiovox??? Almost always and I mean always you can get an equal video system installed aftermarket cheaper. Now if your leasing and the video package can be residualized., then you'd only be paying for % of the negotiated cost.

For your own reference check out these links. The products are first rate quality (I've used these before in several installations). There posted model availability is often times not up to date, often times it's just better to call the help desk.

http://www.vizualogic.com/

http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/index.jsp?type=nprev&catalogId=10001&sto- - - reId=10001&categoryId=874323&langId=-1&page=&urlString=&productId=&brand=
    Ordered a X3 3.0 at Concord BMW (invoice + $500). I found that they were customer oriented -- had bad experience (not at all service minded) at SF BMW and at Peter Pan BMW on the Peninsula. Have you already visited any of these dealerships?
    Where can one obtain the residuals percentages?

On other BMW specific forums that I'm not allowed to link here...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• randvrandv Member Posts: 15
    I went to Peter Pan to test drive. For the first 15 mins no one even bothered to talk to me. After I grabed a sales guy he was not motivated to sell the car at all. I wouldn't want to but from them.
    thanks, do you provide instalation services in the bay area?
    Hi everyone,

Can someone explain what does the term 'dealer holdback' mean?

Thanks,
    Raj
    Thanks for the hint. I believe I found the site...
  • ursacatursacat Member Posts: 32
    We've decided that the X3 is the next SUV. We recently sold our 2002 328i and are selling our Jeep GC and I was in a state of consternation about which SUV to buy. We have looked at the Escape, Highlander etc but I really wanted both a sporty drive (like the 328) and a small SUV. So Viola!

I've purchased many cars over the years and always gotten great deals - mostly private party purchase. We'll I worked out the numbers and with the lease deals on the X3 it seems like the time is right to jump in.

I've read this board over the last few days and it has obviously benefited folks like my self tremendously. However I don't even know what variables I should be asking for (I did read a leasing primer.)

Here's what we are looking for:
    3.0 Liter, Auto, Premium Package, Sport package (I've read a number of posts on this - I like the seats, rims and steering wheel), Servotronic Steering, Satellite Radio Prep, Metallic Paint, Rear Side Airbags.Privacy Glass
    Total MSRP w/ destination and Options $43,105
    (not inc BMW assist - I don't know if this is a "standard option"

We live in Marin County - SF bay Area and there are tons of BMW dealers that advertise attractive leases.

What It sounds like I should do is create a mental "bid sheet" (or maybe a real bid sheet) and ask for the following details:

MSRP
    Negotiated Price
    Cap Cost Reduction
    Net cap cost
    Money factor
    Residual
    Acquisition Fee
    Term/Mileage Allowance
    Payment
    Due at signing: (Tax Title, 1st pymt, acq fees, security deposit, cap cost reduction, other fees?)

Are these the right questions?

Then report back? (I see where newbiebmw really made out by paying attention!)

Thanks in Advance,

Lou
    I am also shopping for the an X3 in the bay area... planning to close the lease by the end of the month (i think this is the qtr end as well). I noticed that the bay area dealers have huge X3 inventories.

I think most of them are offering little above invoice with 62% residual for 12K miles.

If you are interested we could jointly negotiate for a better deal. Let me know if you are interested.
  • sharmabmwsharmabmw Member Posts: 45
    Lou,
    This is what I have learned after reading many posts by kydfx.

36 mo/ 15000 mi/yr:

1. negotiated price: yes, shoot for very close to invoice (there are plenty of x3's out there)
    2. cap cost reduction: do NOT pay this
    3. MF: should be .00100. BMWFS allows the dealer to increase this, but negotiate for base.
    4. residual: 60% (add 2% if 12000 mi or 3% if 10000 mi)
    5. acquisition fee: $625 (again dealer can mark up)
    6. due at signing: roll the tax into payment, roll acq fees into payment
    7. Play around with lease calculators online and you'll learn very quickly what these numbers mean.
    8. And like I always say: do Eur Delivery instead, save $$$, and have the time of your life.

good luck.
  • ursacatursacat Member Posts: 32
    Wow, Thanks for both responses.

Randy, Yes, let's put our heads together. email me. With the support of folks like sharmabmw we can do great things.

8 good points. I'll start working on them. Yes, I'd love to do Euro Delivery (we did this with the 328 - ended up in Italy. But w/ the 3 year old,.....)

Here's a note I received from a broker through email.

You didn't tell me how much down payment so I just figured the lease up with $5000 down.
    2005 BMW X3 3.0i in black and black leather, automatic, premium, sport, privacy glass and satellite radio preparation.
    The MSRP is $40720. Your lease payment is $323.26 plus tax for 36 months.

I will send him the points made above and report back.

Where do I find a lease calculator?

Regards,

Lou
    ursacat@hotmail.com
    I will email you about negotiation...

How much of the downpayment is for cap reduction, if my math is right you are putting about 3500 towards capreduction. the rest are fees and first month payment etc. Am I right?

I also put together a spread sheet to calculate lease payments and to break down dealer quotes. I will send that across as well. I would post the spread sheet here but there no file post feature avaialble.

Thanks,
    RANDV
  • labuyerlabuyer Member Posts: 14
    Is the "destination charge" of $695 noted on the sticker and on Edmunds pricing tool different from the "acquisition fee" of $625 (or more)?
    The destination charge is part of the MSRP and the invoice price..

The acquisition fee is charged by the bank on a lease.. It is a financing charge that is only applicable to leases.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I’m on the opposite coast and soliciting business is a no no on Edmunds. Cali is a hot bed for aftermarket products in general. :shades: Most companies are based in your neck of the woods.

Just some advice, do some research and see if you can locate a reputable shop, product and pricing info in your area. After getting the numbers and a product that suits your needs take it back to your dealer and see if they’ll beat or match the deal. A good dealer will work with you once you’ve sourced this out, you may get a sweet deal and the warranty to back it up. Sometimes the extra leg work pays off. Good luck!!!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Sorry, solicitations for group buys aren't allowed in the Forums, and posts have been removed.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

thanks for the info, I noticed that one of the dealers were asking for $1000 for installation on top of the the sticker price $1800.
    I emailed the lease calc.
    has any one noticed differences between Dealer invoice and Edmond invoice. The dealer is quoteing about $500 above the edmond invoice. any comments?
    The dealer probably has a MACO charge on his invoice.. It is a regional advertising charge, that varies according to location..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

thanks, do you think that can be negotiated down?
    Well... the invoice is the dealer's cost, not yours....

If you are negotiating a certain number over invoice, then be prepared for all sorts of costs..

Concentrate on an actual dollar amount.. Involving the dealer's costs in your deal will only serve to confuse the process..

It isn't important what the dealer pays... only what you pay.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

That 1k looks like a junk charge. If i were a betting man (which I am), I'd say you could easily negotiate that out of any deal. The 1800 would cover most aftermarket systems including installation. I found the way they list this odd, every dealership i've worked with or been in lists one price for any entertainment package.
  • mytoymytoy Member Posts: 14
    Looking to purchase the X3, 2.5 with Automatic, Panorama Roof and all floor mats to include cargo line. That is it. Oh, forgot, color is Highland Green Metallic with standard Leatherette. No frills as you can tell.

I live in South Florida and the offer price to me is $33,195. Need to add tax, tag and title to the cost. What do you all think?

Thanks in advance for all comments/thoughts

Regards,

MyToy :)
    What is the sticker price?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Kyfdx,

The sticker price is $34,200.

Thanks,

MyToy
    Well.. $1000 off isn't a great deal.. But, this is about as low-optioned a car as you can get, so probably only about $2700 spread between MSRP and invoice..

Is this car in stock? If so, I'd think they would come down another $1000... There can't be a lot of demand for a "stripper" 2.5 model..

Have you considered a comparable 3.0 model? I know the spread is $6K on the base price, but sunroof and automatic are standard, so you get the bigger engine, plus a lot of extra standard equipment for only $3000 more than the one you are looking at...

Just a thought..

Are you leasing or buying?

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Kyfdx,

Yes, the car is in stock.

I am looking to buy the car. I have never leased any of my cars. Not sure I would. Is there some type of special lease option going on that I "should" consider?

I thought automatic was only an option on these vehicles?

Thanks,

MyToy
    Well... the leasing deals are good on the X3, a little better on the 3.0 model.

But, I would never suggest leasing to someone that isn't really considering it..

Automatic is an option.. but, on the 3.0 model, it is a "no-cost" option..

A few things to consider on the unit you are considering..

1) Green is not a popular color.. If you like it, that's fine, but not a lot of people do.. this should motivate them to cut you a better deal.

2) Lightly optioned BMWs don't sell that well. Most BMWs are leased, and people will pay $30-$40/mo. more to load up their cars.. This should also motivate the dealer to give you a better price.

3) I think a 3.0 model with the same options would be a better deal at only $3K more.. but, that is just my opinion, and your money.

4) If you like to trade cars a lot, I would consider leasing it, as the deals are decent... If you will keep it four years or more, then buying it would be the better deal.. The main benefit in leasing the car is the guaranteed residual.. I'd be a little worried about resale on a green, lightly optioned, smaller engine model, if I had to trade it in three years or less...

So, if that is the car you want, go for it, but I'd hold out for another $1000 less..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Kyfdx,

First off, I appreciate your comments and thoughts and look forward to them.

Just to let you know so as to potentially understand my thought process, I am not real big on all the gadgets of a vehicle. I look for a quality car with maybe a couple of little perks added on. I generally keep my cars for at least seven (7) years or so. I am not one who needs to be changing vehicles all the time.

If I do go to the 3.0 model, what do you think is a good number to shoot for if I want to buy the vehicle?

Thanks,

MyToy
    Any 3.0 model will probably be $38K or more.. I'd shoot for $2500-$3000 off MSRP...

Even without the extra goodies, the 3.0 model is worth it for the extra 40hp.. Not that big of a deal on a 3-series, but the X3 carries a little more weight, and you can really tell the difference.. Again.. if it were my money..

If you keep your cars that long, resale isn't that important.... If you decide on that green 2.5, shoot for another $1000 cheaper...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Kyfdx,

Thanks for all of your comments. I am going back to the dealership to look things over and will talk to them about the lease options as well.

Regards,

MyToy :)
    Hi Folks,

Thanks for all the info posted in this forum. Just picked up a x3 with premium/sports/metalic/18 inch wheels/premium sound/privay/Xenon/ipod connector/rubber floor and cargo mats/stick shift...

Comments from the previous posts really helped make the deal... here are the details...

MSRP $43,095
    Dealer Invoice $39,975
    Selling price $39,975
    $$ off MSRP $3,120
    % off MSRP 7.2%
    Aq Fee $625
    Cap cost reduction
    Adjusted cap cost $40,600
    Residual % 62%
    Residual Value $26,719
    Depreciation $13,881
    Money Factor 0.001
    Term 36
    Sales Tax 8.25%

Lease Components
    Depreciation $386
    Interest $67
    Tax $37

Lease payment per month $490

Total Payments $17,650

Down Payment

1st Payment $490
    Cap Reduction $-
    Registration $325
    Sec Deposit $500
    Other Fees $45
    tire fee $9
    Total Down $1,369 ">
    MSRP does not include IPOD connector and mats, they were thrown in free to close the deal.
    Great deal...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

thanks...one interesting point is if I had put 1000 for cap reduction the lease would go down to 459 with a total lease payments of 16528 or 1121 below the deal above. So this gives me 121 savings over 3 years on a $1000 investment giving me a 4% return on investment. which is not a bad deal if you are going have this $1000 sit in money market anyway.

I decided not be put the downpayment. But am I missing somthing? (other than the fact that when I get in to accident, I will lose the "gap" value)

thanks
    When you make the $1000 cap cost reduction, you are saving the "interest" on that amount of money..

Doesn't seem like it should be quite that much.. I would have guessed closer to $75....

But, you have the reasoning correct...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is hoping to talk with recent buyers of new BMW and Mercedes vehicles who enjoyed a generous discount off sticker price. Please send relevant details and your daytime contact information to Pam Krebs at pkrebs@edmunds.com by Thursday, June 23, 2005

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• omega2omega2 Member Posts: 8
    Meant to send to kyfdx,

kyfdx,
    Can you please advise on price quoted from NJ dealer? Price is for premium/sports/metalic/xenon/heated seats/steering/privacy/satellite prep. MSRP was 42,895.

MSRP $42,895
    Cap cost reduction $0
    12,000 miles
    Term 36
    Sales Tax 6%

Lease payment per month $499.86
    NJ tax 6%

1st Payment $499.86
    Security Dep $550
    Cap Reduction $0
    Acq fee $725
    MV and Doc fee=$503
    tire fee $7.50
    Total Due at inception $2,227.86

I was trying to compare this to quote on forum but realize sales tax is lower by 2.25% (8.25% in thread above). Also, dealer said acq fee is $725.
    Is this a reasonable price? I realized not comparable to quote of $490 in thread above. Your advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks, Omega
    what is the selling price?

Acq fee can be negotiated down (I paid 625).
    I didn't get a specific selling price. He said he was around the dealer invoice. He started out at 1k and I asked for 3k off the MSRP. I think it's around 1.5k to 2k. I was hoping to infer from his monthly pricing. He said residual is 62% if that helps. Thanks,
    O
    Randv, selling price was $40,763 Thanks for info.
    O
    At that selling price ($40,763), they are using a money factor of .0012, instead of the base money factor of .0010..

It looks like this dealer takes about half of the markup that BMWFS allows them.. They are bumping the acq. fee by $100, when they are allowed $200, and bumping the money factor by .0002, when they are allowed .0004...

The selling price is okay... about $2K off MSRP..

Your inception fees: I'd want the base acq.fee ($625).. Also the MV and doc fee? How much of that is for actual government fees, and how much is going to the dealer? At $503, it looks like maybe an extra $100-$200 that the dealer is pocketing that could be shaved off your deal...

So, after they agree to knock down the due at inception to $2000 even.. (sounds easy, huh?), you'll ask them to use the base money factor of .0010 to figure the lease payment... That should knock another $13/mo. off your payment..

$2000 at inception, and $486/mo...

That puts you about $700 off of a good deal.. If you really like that $499/mo. payment, tell them you will do the deal for the same payment but only $1500 due at inception.. Just make sure that still includes a security deposit..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• distancedriverdistancedriver Member Posts: 7
    I visited my BMW dealer in Westchester, NY and thought the lease deal was pretty good, though I didn't really negotiate. About $508 per month on a car of $38,925 with 15,000 miles per year. Does anyone know how long BMW will keep its current lease deal going because I don't really need a new car until the end of July. Thanks.
    Thanks a lot for the information. I'll be going back this week to negotiate.
    best regards,
    Omega
  • mr_blahmr_blah Member Posts: 5
    How does it work with European delivery and leasing? I understand there may be a lag between when I decide to lease versus when the vehicle is ready for delivery in Germany. Then there's the time to have the car shipped over here. Does the lease term not start until I receive the car in the US or in Munich? And what are the lead times typically? Finally, if the lease deal ends at the end of the month (example), I would still get the great lease rate as long as I commit before the end of the month?

Thanks.
  • lhorn99lhorn99 Member Posts: 3
    A dealer has offered me a 2005 X3 2.5 with the following equipment for $32,850. I am thinking it is a pretty good deal but I'm skeptical because it is so close to invoice price. Is the dealer really going to let this car go for $170 profit?

I'm going to finance it through BMW @ 3.9% over 60 months. (no lease)

Any thoughts?

2005 BMW X3
    2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)Base Price $27,755

Optional Equipment $4,230
    -- Metallic Paint $430
    402 Power Glass Panorama Roof $1,230
    205 STEPTRONIC 5-Speed Automatic Transmission$1,210
    459 Power Front Seats w/ Driver Memory $905
    438 Maple Sycamore Dark Wood Trim $455
    Color Adjustment - - $0
    Silver Grey Metallic
    Destination Charge $695

Invoice Total with Options $32,680
    You have to sign for the lease and make your initial payment 14 days before taking delivery in Europe... That is when the lease starts (I'm pretty sure). Best case, the lease starts at delivery date in Munich, worst case it starts when you sign the papers. BMWFS waives the second payment.. So, in effect, you are only making 35 payments on an ED lease...

When you order your car, the lease terms are locked for 60 days from the expiration of the lease program.. Since you are signing the final papers 14 days before delivery, getting everything wrapped up within the 60 day period is usually not a problem.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator