Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz: Future Models

Comments

• merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Well that time has come Mercedes fans, the arrivial of the next-generation S-Class. It will be showing Monday 6/20/05. I'm breathless....

See here

See here

M
    I almost forgot to add the new S-Class to this thread:

See Here

Full article:

Here

M
  • ikramericaikramerica Member Posts: 101
    Though i like the MB front end, so much of the new S is much like the BMW 7 series, inside and out. Sad really.
    I can surely see the inside, but what do you see thats like the 7-Series on the outside? The trunklid? I think that looks for more like a Maybach that a 7-Series. I don't see anything else, it surely isn't those puffed up fender arches.... :mad:

M
  • scott1256scott1256 Member Posts: 531
    I see hardly any resemblance between the exteriors of these two cars. The interior is similar but I like the way Mercedes has applied their wood trim.

What bugs me is that the side view of the S shares many cues (particularly the fender flares) with the Ford Focus 4 door sedan.
    like hotcakes!

The new SLK and M are carrying the torch for the whole line. Hope the new S will do likewise.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2005/07/01/136380.html
    Thats amazing, the best June on record and every Mercedes except the SLK and M-Class are down compared to last year. Don't forget the CLS too, it did a lot to keep MB ahead of June 2004.

I predict the new S will be the best selling S of all time for several reasons, its different and looks to finally be of the type of quality an S-Class priced vehicle should be.

This year though the facelifted CLK, new R-Class and re-engined C-Class should all really turn things up in July, August and Sept as all three are introduced.

I'm glad to see the E-Class pulling close to its month by month percentages of last year. I think it may be able to rally late in the year and re-claim its best seller in class spot from the 5-Series.

M
    While the new engined Cs will help some against the initial firepower of the new 3 series, and the CLK will hold steady with it's changes (rather than continuing to decline),

It's the R-Class, the CLS, the M, and the new SLK280 added to the SLK line that will continue to boost sales.

S class will decline until the new model, CL is in the toilet, E class is just going to hum along until a face-lift and new V8.

You also may see a surge in G class sales toward the end as some people will see it as their "last chance" to get one.
    and it is doing very well. too.

Merc1, you mention BMW......their sales are down for the first half of the year. They improved performance of the latest editions of the 3, 5 and 7 series but the looks are weird. The new C class may give the 3 series a real challenge!

Ikramerica, you made me smile..........the 'last edition' of most things does usually give sales a boost......may happen with the G class also.
    See Here

The new AMG 6.3L V8 is naturally aspirated and makes 510hp/464lb-ft torque. It isn't clear which models will get this new V8 in this particular state of tune, other than the R and M-Classes.

I don't see how performance will improve over the current supercharged 5.5L V8 in the "55" car with this new engine because it has to rev much higher only to make a few more hp and it makes a lot less torque.

In reading the specs it seems this V8 is similar to BMW's new V10 in the way it adopts a lot of racing tech for production. According to the article this V8 doesn't share anything with other MB V8s, a first for AMG since they've always taken a stock MB V8 and tweaked it until now.

Now the specs on the S-Class' new 5.5L V8 would be nice....

M
    Well since the C-Class and CLK have gotten their mid-life facelifts, its the E and SL's turn. These are the latest spy pics of the facelifted SL. I'm guessing it will turn up for 2007 with a similarly facelifted E-Class. Both "500" models will no doubt get the new 5.5L 382hp V8. Then of course the "55" models will become "63" models with the new AMG V8 in the post above.

Pics:

All I see here is new 3-slat grille like the 2006 CLK, new front bumper assembly and a slightly different taillight design. Thank gawd the rumors about a SLR style nose don't appear to be true. I guess there really wasn't much else to do with the SL, hard to improve on such a perfect shape to begin with.

M
  • clsclassclsclass Member Posts: 4
    I'm Just getting ready to turn over 3000 miles in this car and thought I'd give a quick update. If you remember, I bought the Launch edition of the CLS and the new ML500 at the same time, and both were my first MB vehicles. First the CLS. This car just continues to grow on me every day. It's ride is very controlled and tight..better the the E500. I leave the Airmatic in auto and it seems to always find the best compromise. No problems to report at all. The seven speed transmission may be as good as I've had in a car of any type. Don't much care for the brakes...very hard to modulate and smooth stops still elude me. Also, I probably wouldn't order the ventilated seats in another car. They really seem to make little difference. And of course the car still gets looks. I find people stopping as they pass it in parking lots. The ML500 is also a very nice vehicle. It seems almost as quick as the CLS which is surprising given its weight. Same wonderful transmission and airmatic suspension. This car also just got to 3000 miles, but there have been a few glitches. Of course there was the recall that's been discussed on the other message boards. But the ML is also back at the dealers today..the engine has cut-out twice...once while entering the ramp to a parking garage. It also seems to occasionally idle rough at stop lights. Hope this is just some sort of adjustment. It was very disconcerting to have the car shut off while in motion. Otherwise, we really like the vehicle. The new design is great, particularly the interior ergonomics. I especially like the change to the stalk-type gear shift. Results in a very useable console. Surprisingly, the brakes in the ML are much easier to manage than the CLS...really "natural" pedal feel under all conditions. And although the power assist on the tailgate was not an option I would have ordered, it has really enhanced the utility of this vehicle for me. All-in-all, still very pleased with both cars, although I'm crossing my fingers on the ML stalling issue. Happy motoring.
    Thanks for the update. I hope that is the last problem you have with the ML.

M
    See Here

Up almost 10 percent compared to July 2004. The CL showed the sharpest decline vs last year, its time has passed I guess. A shame really because this model never got its props imo, being such a stunning design. I suspect the Bentley Continental GT has been the biggest problem for the CL because the GT doesn't cost much more than a CL600/55/65. The E, SLK, M and CLS all continue to post gains, with the E being somewhat of a surprise considering all the new competition in that segment. I guess the initial sales loss because of the CLS has passed?

The newly V6 engined C-Class models are just arriving at dealers as is the facelifted CLK so August will be interesting to see if buyers notice the changes to these two model lines. Can't wait to see what the R-Class will do in Oct.

M
    The Monster Maybach

For those who missed the CLS55 AMG video in the other thread:

CLS55 AMG

M
    After visiting the E-class factory in Sindelfingen, I can assure you that Daimler Chrysler doesn't care that some E-Class sales have gone to the CLS. All they care about is that total sales of the "E-Klasse" have increased, and with the CLS, they have.

I say this because the CLS is an E. It is made on the same assembly line, in the same building, at the same time. It is the only place in the world that makes these models, and it is cranking about 2000 samples a day of various E-Klasse right now.

They consider the CLS truly the E coupe model, and call it so in the factory. They build the E sedan, E wagon, and E coupe (CLS) all in the same building on the same two lines. They look to cost roughly the same to make, and share a lot of mechanicals. Interior fittings and glass/shells are installed in the same way by the same people and same robots, even though they are obviously unique among the models. There will be 2 sedans, then a CLS, then 3 more sedans, than 2 CLSs coming down one line. Some will be US, occasionally you'll get a right drive, each one is unique anyway. On the parallel line, there will be 3 sedans, then 2 wagons, then 2 sedans, etc. If CLS sales increase but E sales stay steady or decline, all it does to the factory is change the ratio and the "patternless pattern" on the line, and if overall numbers increase, it keeps the line open a few more days a year!

And since the CLS costs more at the dealer than an E in the US and Europe, MB would be happy to "lose" "E class" sales to the CLS. Same factory, same workers, similar parts, more money from the consumer. With so many company cars, taxis, limos etc. coming off the E class line, the luxury CLS is a high margin product that they are thrilled to build. And that's without even selling the more "affordable" CLS350 here in the US.

Not a bad problem to have!
    Sounds very interesting, about visiting the factory. Did you hear anything about upcoming changes to the E and/or CLS? I know they'll both get the new V8 from the 2007 S500 for the 2007 model year.

M
    Unfortunately, a visit to the factory does not equal inside information. In fact, we weren't even allowed to take pictures.

And since the tour was not given by a US sales rep, he wouldn't know the specifics of what the US gets. In Europe, the E can be had with so many engines, it would be difficult for him to tell me which exact new engine comes into which model in which market when.

For example, you can get E180, E200, E200K, E220 CDI, E230, E230K, E270 CDI, E280, E320 CDI, E350, E500 and E55 AMG. I may have missed some. I think the CLS is more limited though, to only CLS280, CLS350, CLS500, CLS320 CDI, CLS55 AMG, but there may be another model in there somewhere.

And unfortunately, we didn't get to see the factory where they build the engines. It's a different building.
    I'm all for choice, but that is about 2 too many E-Class models, imo. Some of those must be exclusive to German buyers because I've never seen some of those on like the British or Canadian websites. Yep you forgot the CLS420 CDI. ;)

M
    Mercedes' product testing has now gotten out of hand...:

You can't get away from me you little roadster!

I'll get you yet!

You show off, you know I'm too big and heavy to do that!

Here is looking at you kid. ;)

M
    Yeah, I think a couple of those E class engine options are only for fleet and business sales, as I saw them on Taxis. And also, they might have been stretched over a couple years, so one was offered 2 years ago, but now another is offered now. With that many, how can you keep up?

For the C class, there were also C160s and C140s. Yikes, a C140 would be underpowered, considering it isn't a light car...

CLS 420CDI. That should be a fast car! Any reviews anywhere for it? I'd love to read one, but finding reviews for cars on the net can be a nightmare.
    ML63 AMG

Mercedes-Benz's 510hp rival to the Porsche Cayenne Turbo has arrived!

M
    I'll have to look around for a review of the CLS420 CDI. There was one from a guy who drove on in Germany. That review was the GCF board, but that whole board is gone, finished, kaput.

What do you think of something like the E55 AMG Wagon? A swiss army knife of a car imo.

M
  • canngacannga Member Posts: 20
    merc1 (or anyone "in the know"),

I am new to this forum, and glad to have found it. Is it safe to *assume* that the 2007 CLS 500 will have the new 5.5L 382hp V8 engine? If that is true, definitely worth the wait!!

Thanks and regards,
    Can

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    I'm guessing it will turn up for 2007 with a similarly facelifted E-Class. Both "500" models will no doubt get the new 5.5L 382hp V8.
    You are correct, both the E and CLS will get the new 5.5L V8 for 2007. As will the R500, ML500, SL500 and CLK500.

M
    The most prized Mercedes of the current day, the CLK-DTM AMG has been made topless:

Full Article

M
    See Here

IMO, the diesel hybrid (Bluetec) shows the most promise.

M
    So now that the new S, ML63 and R63 have been shown to the world, so whats up next?

Well the GL-Class is due in Jan at the Detroit show. The GL is the replacement (well sort of) for the current G-Class.

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=103245

Mercedes seems to know that this new SUV isn't a real replacement for the true "G", so it seems that production of the current G might continue after the new GL comes to market.

M
  • alissaalissa Member Posts: 9
    I am not a fan with the CLS except I have seen it look good twice: Pictures below

More Pictures, This is a sporty look

More Pictures. This is a gorgeous car, no one can argue that
    I think MB would be wise to keep the G along with the GL.

The CJ/YJ/Wrangler is a very basic but succesful design. It continues to sell well in a niche that it now owns.

GM and Ford no longer offer a bare bones SUV in the mold of the late 1960s Bronco and Blazer. The upscale SUVs (80% sport/luxury and 20% utility) sell well but there is a market for vehicles that lean heavily toward the utility side.
    I think MB would be wise to keep the G along with the GL.

The current think is that they are going to do just that for at least a year.

M
    An overview of the next 12 months:

C-Class - Nothing but a long road ahead in the face of a new 3-Series and Lexus IS. New engines, all V6s will help maintain for 2006, but the 2007 model year will be a long one. Autoweek is reporting that AMG has built a few C63 AMGs, but I doubt we'll see the new AMG V8 in the current C-Class body.

E-Class - A facelift for 2007. The E500 becomes the 382hp E550. The E320 CDI trades its I6 for a new 3.0L V6. New E320 CDI will be offered with 4Matic for the first time. In Europe there is a 314hp V8 E420 CDI, not a chance in hell its coming here though, a pity. The usual Benz facelift stuff - new lights front/rear, wheels and some options from the new S-Class will be what the E-Class gets to see it off until 2009. Expect the 2007 to be on sale by June/July 2006.

S-Class - All new for 2007 model year. S550 goes on sale in Jan, S450 in March and S600 in April, with 382, 335, and 503 hp respectively. The S63 AMG should be shown at either Geneva (March 2006) or Paris (Sept 2006). Expect at least 503hp.

SLK - Nothing I can see for at least a couple more years since it was brand new for 2005. The SLK55 at some point will get the new 6.3L V8, I think. Not sure about that one. Expect a facelift for 2008.

CLK - Two more years for this model, 2006 and 2007. For 2007 the CLK500 will become the CLK550 with 382hp. The current buzz is that the CLK55 AMG coupe will become the CLK63 next spring. This could be true since the CLK55 Coupe has been dropped for 2006. I personally can't imagine 503hp in a CLK, but oh well. The CLK just got its mid-life facelift for 2006.

CLS - Like every "500" model Mercedes, the CLS500 will become the CLS550 with 382hp. The CLS55 AMG will become the CLS63 AMG, with at least 503hp. There is talk of a CLS600 or a CLS65 AMG, but I doubt that these models will ever happen. Since Mercedes sees this as a "Coupe" it will have a short life, with a facelift coming for 2008 and then a new model in 2009/2010, after the next E-Class comes out.

SL - Facelift for 2007. SL500 becomes the SL550 with you guessed it, 382hp. SL55 AMG becomes the SL63 AMG. The SL600 should get a slight boost to 503 hp. Not major for the facelift, new lights, bumpers, wheels etc.

CL - All new for 2007. It should debut at Geneva in March 2006, or in May when Mercedes opens a new musem in Germany. As with previous practice no smaller "450" model will be built, just a 550, 600 and 63 models. Eventually a new CL65 will be added.

SLR - New colors and a custom ordering program is now available for people who want unique interiors and exteriors. There is talk (and spy photos) of a lightweight SLR with more power being tested and prepped for release sometime in 2006.

R-Class - New R320 CDI and R550 for 2007. More options also on schedule for 2007 production. There might be a R450 model with the new S450's 335hp V8. This new 4.5L V8 makes 339lb-ft of torque so it will slot in at the current R500's price and the R550 will be a 60K model. The R450 is just my speculation. The R63 AMG "concept" will likely turnup for the 2007 model year also.

M-Class - Same as R-Class. ML63 AMG arrives in spring 2006.

G-Class - Supposedly the current model will still be "available" well into 2006, but the end is near for this model.

G-Class - The new "G-Class" to be called the "GL", like the M-Class is called the "ML" will debut at Detroit in Jan 2006. There should be a GL450, GL550 and eventually a GL63. The GL550 is a definite, but the others are speculation.

M
    Benz Oct Sales

CLS, M, SLK are doing all the work. R-Class sold 930 units in its first full month.

M
  • callmedrfillcallmedrfill Member Posts: 729
    So, Merc. Nice place you've got here.

Please answer some ?? for us non-Benzophiles:

What's up with the 2.5L, 200HP C230? Why isn't it the C250? Are they trying to be like Lexus with a 2.5?

What, WHAT is up with the C230 $5 increase!! :mad: What....now....next year, the price will go up another $5? Then another $5?

Quite a gap between the C350 and E-350, no? $12k is quite a chasm in the heart of the market, no? Also considering the fact that the E-Class is similar in size to many cars in the $30-40k class.

With all the new car introductions recently and impending, should sales be higher, or are the proliferation of new models just feeding off other family members?

Isn't the S350 very new? Like less than a year old? With just 7 less HP than a S430, why the large disparity in price ($12k)? What is it with Benz and $12k price gaps?

If the new S comes in the Spring, why bring in this bottom-feeder model so late in life? :confuse:

Do YOU like the idea of a 227HP SLK? I think a six and and eight should cover it, and further dumbing-down hurts it's cache, but you are the expert here.

Thank you in advance for any moments of clarity in the seemingly merky world that is Mercedes-Benz. Toodles! :)

DrFill
    Ok, I'll bite.

What's up with the 2.5L, 200HP C230? Why isn't it the C250? Are they trying to be like Lexus with a 2.5?

Nothing to do with Lexus. The 2.5L V6 has been out in Europe since spring long before the IS250. I'm glad they didn't call it a "250" at this point to avoid confusion. I suspect that when the next C comes along it will be called the "C250" with a hp increase via direct injection.

Quite a gap between the C350 and E-350, no? $12k is quite a chasm in the heart of the market, no? Also considering the fact that the E-Class is similar in size to many cars in the $30-40k class.

True, which is why I've said all along Mercedes needs to answer the BMW 525i with an E280 model, but MBUSA isn't interested. Size alone doesn't dictate class.

With all the new car introductions recently and impending, should sales be higher, or are the proliferation of new models just feeding off other family members?

Yeah they should be higher, but the problem is that MB's lineup is being shored up by specialty models like the SLK and CLS and SUV/Wagons like the M and R-Classes, these models alone aren't enough to make sales jump dramatically when the bread and butter models like the C, E and S are all down from a year ago. Especially since SUV type vehicles are seemingly losing favor at every brand now because of high gas prices. The S being new and the E pending a facelift will do much better in CY 2006, but the C has a long road ahead of it until summer 2007 when the 2008 C is expected to arrive here.

My own theory behind them bringing over the S350 was to see if there was still a market for it, thus deciding on whether or not to bring over the next generation S350. The Benz faithful are in the dark on that one. It seems to be selling, but there is no talk of a W221 S350 model being sold here next year.

Do YOU like the idea of a 227HP SLK? I think a six and and eight should cover it, and further dumbing-down hurts it's cache, but you are the expert here.

Yes, because the SLK280 is no slouch and it certainly isn't a "cheap" car by any means. Have you checked the new SLK out? SLK sales are as high as they've ever been. Now a 4-cylinder SLK would cheapen the brand imo, but there are no more 4-pot Benz coming to the U.S. anymore.

M
  • mssurreymssurrey Member Posts: 59
    Does anyone know when exactly the CLS500 gets the new 382 hp engine?
    If a car is ordered now for delivery sometime in the new year, will it have the new engine?
    Well the CLS500 will most definitiely become the CLS550 for the 2007 model year.

Since the S is the first to have this new engine I would exepect than any CLS models ordered past Feb-March 2006 will be the a 2007 model, just a guess.

M
  • mssurreymssurrey Member Posts: 59
    I assume that this also applies to the ML 500 as well ?

Yep. All the "500" cars will become "550" cars for 2007. CLK, SL, CL, S, E, CLS, ML, R and the new "GL" will all get the new V8. There might be a "450" version of some of these running the smaller 4.6L V8 from the upcoming S450 (335hp), but that isn't clear.

M
  • anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    Well Merc the Audi has arrived and I know you like them along with Mercedes....They are really vastly different cars each with their fine differences..I got the sports suspension--a real gamble for me--and find it to be just what I hoped it would be...As you have said many times in the past, the feel of a car is so personal that words really can not convey what the feeling is..I can say that I do not really think any of the mmi-idrive-or mercedes`version are configured in a way to be worth the aggrivation of using them. I know there are alot of options but , so far , I don`t think all these selections are necessary or will be used that often, unless they program them so they have to be used each time you start the car. I would venture to say that the Lexus may not go this route....On the Audi I have begun to make headway undrestand the many functions so I am not coming from ignorance....I can hardly wait to be able to see the Mercedes in the flesh, and further to use the command setup..Tony
    I'm really glad you've got your car! I hope it is everything you expected. I am surprised you got the sports suspension though. Can we get some pics on the Audi A8 thread?

M
  • oxford9oxford9 Member Posts: 13
    Are there any plans for a 4matic CLS in the near future? Otherwise I need to have a separate winter car for Cleveland, OH.
    Are there any plans for a 4matic CLS in the near future?

No CLS 4Matic models will be built according to everything ever said about the CLS.

M
    It appears that for 2007 the E and CLS models will no longer use the SBC braking system. I didn't think Mercedes would spend the money to make such a running change, but apparently it is being incorporated with the facelift of the E-Class and since the CLS uses the same chassis it will also lose the electro-hydraulic brakes. Whoopie!

Article

Smart, but costly move.

M

In an earlier post I replied to this with a "yes" regarding the ML500 becoming the ML550 with the new 5.5L V8. However, Mercedes debuting the new GL with the new 4.6L 340hp V8 first which begs the question as to whether a ML450 will replace the ML500 or with they have both the ML450 and ML550 for 2007. I'm looking for the Detroit autoshow to provide some answers on this.

M
    The new GL-Class:

GL-Klasse

M
    Per the article, upcoming MB models.

1) The S 65 AMG, featuring a 612 horsepower V12
    2) The CLK 63 AMG, featuring a 482 horsepower V8
    3) The E 63 AMG, featuring a 515 horsepower V8
    4) The CLS 63 AMG, featuring a 515 horsepower V8

Article/Source

I'd say the CLS/E models are a given since the E is due for a facelift and the CLS is just a fancier E-Class. A 482hp CLK63 is going to be a monster. The S65 AMG is a given.

M
  • albellalbell Member Posts: 185
    Is it just me, or does thing look like the offspring of a 4 Runner-XC90 tryst?
    No it isn't just you. It does look like a number of SUVs to me too. That is one of my problems with it, while good looking, it isn't distinctive enough for a Benz.

M
This discussion has been closed.