Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz: Future Models

Comments

• Yeah, I think a couple of those E class engine options are only for fleet and business sales, as I saw them on Taxis. And also, they might have been stretched over a couple years, so one was offered 2 years ago, but now another is offered now. With that many, how can you keep up?

For the C class, there were also C160s and C140s. Yikes, a C140 would be underpowered, considering it isn't a light car...

CLS 420CDI. That should be a fast car! Any reviews anywhere for it? I'd love to read one, but finding reviews for cars on the net can be a nightmare.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    ML63 AMG

Mercedes-Benz's 510hp rival to the Porsche Cayenne Turbo has arrived!

M
    I'll have to look around for a review of the CLS420 CDI. There was one from a guy who drove on in Germany. That review was the GCF board, but that whole board is gone, finished, kaput.

What do you think of something like the E55 AMG Wagon? A swiss army knife of a car imo.

M
  • merc1 (or anyone "in the know"),

I am new to this forum, and glad to have found it. Is it safe to *assume* that the 2007 CLS 500 will have the new 5.5L 382hp V8 engine? If that is true, definitely worth the wait!!

Thanks and regards,
    Can

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    I'm guessing it will turn up for 2007 with a similarly facelifted E-Class. Both "500" models will no doubt get the new 5.5L 382hp V8.
    You are correct, both the E and CLS will get the new 5.5L V8 for 2007. As will the R500, ML500, SL500 and CLK500.

M
    The most prized Mercedes of the current day, the CLK-DTM AMG has been made topless:

Full Article

M
    See Here

IMO, the diesel hybrid (Bluetec) shows the most promise.

M
    So now that the new S, ML63 and R63 have been shown to the world, so whats up next?

Well the GL-Class is due in Jan at the Detroit show. The GL is the replacement (well sort of) for the current G-Class.

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=103245

Mercedes seems to know that this new SUV isn't a real replacement for the true "G", so it seems that production of the current G might continue after the new GL comes to market.

M
  • alissaalissa Posts: 9
    I am not a fan with the CLS except I have seen it look good twice: Pictures below

More Pictures, This is a sporty look

More Pictures. This is a gorgeous car, no one can argue that
  • scott1256scott1256 Posts: 531
    I think MB would be wise to keep the G along with the GL.

The CJ/YJ/Wrangler is a very basic but succesful design. It continues to sell well in a niche that it now owns.

GM and Ford no longer offer a bare bones SUV in the mold of the late 1960s Bronco and Blazer. The upscale SUVs (80% sport/luxury and 20% utility) sell well but there is a market for vehicles that lean heavily toward the utility side.
    I think MB would be wise to keep the G along with the GL.

The current think is that they are going to do just that for at least a year.

M
    An overview of the next 12 months:

C-Class - Nothing but a long road ahead in the face of a new 3-Series and Lexus IS. New engines, all V6s will help maintain for 2006, but the 2007 model year will be a long one. Autoweek is reporting that AMG has built a few C63 AMGs, but I doubt we'll see the new AMG V8 in the current C-Class body.

E-Class - A facelift for 2007. The E500 becomes the 382hp E550. The E320 CDI trades its I6 for a new 3.0L V6. New E320 CDI will be offered with 4Matic for the first time. In Europe there is a 314hp V8 E420 CDI, not a chance in hell its coming here though, a pity. The usual Benz facelift stuff - new lights front/rear, wheels and some options from the new S-Class will be what the E-Class gets to see it off until 2009. Expect the 2007 to be on sale by June/July 2006.

S-Class - All new for 2007 model year. S550 goes on sale in Jan, S450 in March and S600 in April, with 382, 335, and 503 hp respectively. The S63 AMG should be shown at either Geneva (March 2006) or Paris (Sept 2006). Expect at least 503hp.

SLK - Nothing I can see for at least a couple more years since it was brand new for 2005. The SLK55 at some point will get the new 6.3L V8, I think. Not sure about that one. Expect a facelift for 2008.

CLK - Two more years for this model, 2006 and 2007. For 2007 the CLK500 will become the CLK550 with 382hp. The current buzz is that the CLK55 AMG coupe will become the CLK63 next spring. This could be true since the CLK55 Coupe has been dropped for 2006. I personally can't imagine 503hp in a CLK, but oh well. The CLK just got its mid-life facelift for 2006.

CLS - Like every "500" model Mercedes, the CLS500 will become the CLS550 with 382hp. The CLS55 AMG will become the CLS63 AMG, with at least 503hp. There is talk of a CLS600 or a CLS65 AMG, but I doubt that these models will ever happen. Since Mercedes sees this as a "Coupe" it will have a short life, with a facelift coming for 2008 and then a new model in 2009/2010, after the next E-Class comes out.

SL - Facelift for 2007. SL500 becomes the SL550 with you guessed it, 382hp. SL55 AMG becomes the SL63 AMG. The SL600 should get a slight boost to 503 hp. Not major for the facelift, new lights, bumpers, wheels etc.

CL - All new for 2007. It should debut at Geneva in March 2006, or in May when Mercedes opens a new musem in Germany. As with previous practice no smaller "450" model will be built, just a 550, 600 and 63 models. Eventually a new CL65 will be added.

SLR - New colors and a custom ordering program is now available for people who want unique interiors and exteriors. There is talk (and spy photos) of a lightweight SLR with more power being tested and prepped for release sometime in 2006.

R-Class - New R320 CDI and R550 for 2007. More options also on schedule for 2007 production. There might be a R450 model with the new S450's 335hp V8. This new 4.5L V8 makes 339lb-ft of torque so it will slot in at the current R500's price and the R550 will be a 60K model. The R450 is just my speculation. The R63 AMG "concept" will likely turnup for the 2007 model year also.

M-Class - Same as R-Class. ML63 AMG arrives in spring 2006.

G-Class - Supposedly the current model will still be "available" well into 2006, but the end is near for this model.

G-Class - The new "G-Class" to be called the "GL", like the M-Class is called the "ML" will debut at Detroit in Jan 2006. There should be a GL450, GL550 and eventually a GL63. The GL550 is a definite, but the others are speculation.

M
    Benz Oct Sales

CLS, M, SLK are doing all the work. R-Class sold 930 units in its first full month.

M
  • So, Merc. Nice place you've got here.

Please answer some ?? for us non-Benzophiles:

What's up with the 2.5L, 200HP C230? Why isn't it the C250? Are they trying to be like Lexus with a 2.5?

What, WHAT is up with the C230 $5 increase!! :mad: What....now....next year, the price will go up another $5? Then another $5?

Quite a gap between the C350 and E-350, no? $12k is quite a chasm in the heart of the market, no? Also considering the fact that the E-Class is similar in size to many cars in the $30-40k class.

With all the new car introductions recently and impending, should sales be higher, or are the proliferation of new models just feeding off other family members?

Isn't the S350 very new? Like less than a year old? With just 7 less HP than a S430, why the large disparity in price ($12k)? What is it with Benz and $12k price gaps?

If the new S comes in the Spring, why bring in this bottom-feeder model so late in life? :confuse:

Do YOU like the idea of a 227HP SLK? I think a six and and eight should cover it, and further dumbing-down hurts it's cache, but you are the expert here.

Thank you in advance for any moments of clarity in the seemingly merky world that is Mercedes-Benz. Toodles! :)

DrFill
    Ok, I'll bite.

What's up with the 2.5L, 200HP C230? Why isn't it the C250? Are they trying to be like Lexus with a 2.5?

Nothing to do with Lexus. The 2.5L V6 has been out in Europe since spring long before the IS250. I'm glad they didn't call it a "250" at this point to avoid confusion. I suspect that when the next C comes along it will be called the "C250" with a hp increase via direct injection.

Quite a gap between the C350 and E-350, no? $12k is quite a chasm in the heart of the market, no? Also considering the fact that the E-Class is similar in size to many cars in the $30-40k class.

True, which is why I've said all along Mercedes needs to answer the BMW 525i with an E280 model, but MBUSA isn't interested. Size alone doesn't dictate class.

With all the new car introductions recently and impending, should sales be higher, or are the proliferation of new models just feeding off other family members?

Yeah they should be higher, but the problem is that MB's lineup is being shored up by specialty models like the SLK and CLS and SUV/Wagons like the M and R-Classes, these models alone aren't enough to make sales jump dramatically when the bread and butter models like the C, E and S are all down from a year ago. Especially since SUV type vehicles are seemingly losing favor at every brand now because of high gas prices. The S being new and the E pending a facelift will do much better in CY 2006, but the C has a long road ahead of it until summer 2007 when the 2008 C is expected to arrive here.

My own theory behind them bringing over the S350 was to see if there was still a market for it, thus deciding on whether or not to bring over the next generation S350. The Benz faithful are in the dark on that one. It seems to be selling, but there is no talk of a W221 S350 model being sold here next year.

Do YOU like the idea of a 227HP SLK? I think a six and and eight should cover it, and further dumbing-down hurts it's cache, but you are the expert here.

Yes, because the SLK280 is no slouch and it certainly isn't a "cheap" car by any means. Have you checked the new SLK out? SLK sales are as high as they've ever been. Now a 4-cylinder SLK would cheapen the brand imo, but there are no more 4-pot Benz coming to the U.S. anymore.

M
  • Does anyone know when exactly the CLS500 gets the new 382 hp engine?
    If a car is ordered now for delivery sometime in the new year, will it have the new engine?
    Well the CLS500 will most definitiely become the CLS550 for the 2007 model year.

Since the S is the first to have this new engine I would exepect than any CLS models ordered past Feb-March 2006 will be the a 2007 model, just a guess.

M
  • I assume that this also applies to the ML 500 as well ?
    I assume that this also applies to the ML 500 as well ?

Yep. All the "500" cars will become "550" cars for 2007. CLK, SL, CL, S, E, CLS, ML, R and the new "GL" will all get the new V8. There might be a "450" version of some of these running the smaller 4.6L V8 from the upcoming S450 (335hp), but that isn't clear.

M
This discussion has been closed.