Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz: Future Models

Comments

• albellalbell Member Posts: 185
    It's a shame and a step backwards for MB. I think their design of new models -- E, CLS, ML, R and now the S -- has been pretty good and a huge step forward for them. The GL leaves me cold.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    So far we know about the new S-Class - S450, S550, S600 and now the S65 (which should be here by late summer).

The new GL-Class - GL450 is only model slated for the U.S. so far, can't see why we won't get the larger V8 GL500 (GL550 in the U.S.). On sale in late March/early April.

At some point over the next 6 months the CLK500, E500, CLS500, R500, and ML500 will all switch over to the new 5.5L V8 (382hp) and become "550" models. Not sure if there will be corresponding "450" models of any of these with the smaller 4.6L V8 with 335hp as in the new GL450. I doubt there will be any more 450 models than the S450 and maybe a ML/R450.

G-Class (the original) is scheduled to get a facelift after being granted a few more years of life. This should include the new generation V8s also.

Then we have the ML63, R63 and the inevitable CLS63, E63, CLK63, S63, CL63 and SL63 models. Only the ML63 and R63 have been shown so far, both with 503hp. The rumor mill puts the E/CLS63 at 515hp and the CLK63 at 482hp. Source

Then there is the pending diesel push. A ML320 CDI has been confirmed for the U.S. market for the 2007 model year. A R320 CDI is also likely as is the E320 CDI all with the new V6 replacing the old I6 engine.

The new CL should be presented at the Geneva motorshow in March. Also on the stand should be the facelifted E-Class and possibly the facelift SL also, both with the engine changes noted above.

I suspect the S450 will make its official debut at the L.A. autoshow on Jan 4th since the S65 has now been shown.

M
  • anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    Man that is a torrent of new cars-engines...I am particularly curious about the new S...I feel it will be winner on the technology front, but still have reservations on the wheel arches...It is hard to imagine that many minds just doing the arches for no purpose...One small thing that my Audi has, that I would never have thought to be meaningful, is the adjustable arm rests...I have found them to be a great addition...Tony
    Yep, 2006 is going to be a big year for MB I predict. They have a decent amount of new and/or facelifted product coming and every V8 will be upgraded at some point like the V6s were this year. New managment at the wheel should be a big plus. Since the S-Class seems to be a hit elsewhere in the world I'm sure they wait breathlessly to see how it will do here.

M
    Sales are in for the U.S. for 2005 - 224,421 units, up 1.3% vs 2004.

2005 MBUSA Sales

All the work was done by the ML, CLS and SLK. C-Class did post the highest sales month on record for Dec 2005. The new R-Class did contribute also, finally posting a decent number for Dec 2005 - 2,430 units. Maybach is floundering to put it lightly. Mercedes actually sold more SLRs and the SLR costs more, a good deal more actually.

Predictions for 2006 - long and tough year for the C-Class in the face of a new 3-Series and Lexus IS. E-Class will get some spice this summer with a facelift/new engines. New S will be a hit. New CL when it arrives this fall, couldn't possibly do any worse than the current one did in 2005! Until that new CL arrives however, expect the current model to become one of the "rarest" Mercedes on the road. New GL will do ok, won't be as big a hit as Mercedes would like, for various reasons. SLK and CLK sales will spike come spring/summer 2006. SL will reach previous heights once the face-lifted model arrives, still though 10K sold at 90K a piece is far from being "bad" in 2005. Lastly I think the Maybach 57S will add a few sales in 2006. It surely is the first Maybach model I truly like.

Prediction for 2006 volume - 250K units. Hope this thread is still here a year from now to see if I'm right!

M
    Hey Merc1: I read the news, too (0h, boy.) Is it just me, or are the sales figures really, truly troubling for MB, despite the happy talk in their press release? All of their sedan sales are down significantly, and as you point out, only their newest vehicles bailed them out here. I am a big MB fan, but wonder if they have a handle on what's wrong. I think that they bungled the R class intro and marketing (I own one and its a truly outstanding and unique vehicle) and the E class is the finest mid-size sedan in the world period, but the market is not selling well, even with a new engine and major incentives.

Dieter better hurry....
    Well the way I see it all of their core models are either old (C,S) or middle aged (E), and that is where the volume will come from once these models are updated. The new S should turn things around, as should the facelifted E-Class. I see what you're saying, but I don't think it is anything to worry about, yet. Now if this new S does a R-Class type launch then we've got a problem because MB sedans are where the big volume always comes from. The E had a better year than I thought it would considering all the newer competition. The C, well it has a long road ahead of it, that 2008 model can't come soon enough. Still though with all the bad press in 2005 they still managed to wind up selling over 31K cars in one month! That is an astounding number for Mercedes in this country.

It seems that others like BMW and Lexus all now have newer core models (sedans) while Mercedes has been updating their SUVs/Coupes/Roadsters. Now as Mercedes' sedans get some attention the sales will come, if not a problem indeed. This new S will be the first indicator. Still though the R-Class was a big chance missed. I have several theories as to why it has gotten off to such a slow start, with the price/options ratio being the main one.

M
  • streetsterstreetster Member Posts: 23
    Thankyou soooooooooooooooo much. I wanted to see some high-res pics of the S65 AMG. And here they are. Thankyou once again. :);)
    Your welcome!

M
    I think the S will be a huge hit. As to the R, I agree about the price/options issue. If I hadn't been able to secure such a great deal, I would not have bought it...or would have delayed purchase.

I do, however, think that MB marketing has gone awry...
    2007 S-Class

S550 is priced at $86,175.

M
    It appears that we're going to get a ML320 CDI, R320 CDI and GL320 CDI in addition to the E320 CDI, all with the new V6 engines using "Bluetec" technology. The article HERE

M

M
    The SL has gone under the knife. The first pictures of the facelifted SL are out:

Short Article

In short the SL500 (SL550 in the U.S.) gets the new 5.5L V8 from the S550, the SL350 (non-U.S.) get the new 3.5L V6 from every other V6 Benz and happily the SL55 AMG keeps the 5.5L Supercharged V8 with an extra 17 hp, which will put the U.S. SL55 at 510hp. There are now shift paddles on the AMG models instead of buttons on the back side of the steering wheel. Other small lights/bumpers changes and a new 3-slat grille like the CLK top off the exterior changes. Interior changes also, but at this point not sure what else has been changed besides the addition of new shift paddles on the AMG models.

M
    The new CL Coupe (kin to the S-Class) will be presented in March at the Geneva Auto Show. A few more spy photos have surfaced. See Article. Looks a lot more promising than the last batch of photos.

M

Article

In Brief: The SL500 gets the new 5.5L V8 from the new S-Class (382hp) and will likely be re-names the SL550 for the U.S. market. SL600 gets the same power boost as the 2007 S600 - 510hp for the U.S. market. The SL55 gets a power boost also - 510hp for the U.S. market. The SL also gains the second generation ABC system from the new S-Class, new steering rack, real shift paddles with the AMG Sport package (7G-Tronic). Many interior trim, exterior color changes and higher quality materials. The facelifted SL will be shown at the Geneva show the first week of March and likely go on sale in the U.S. around June or so would be my guess.

M

Source: eMercedesBenz

M
  • scott1256scott1256 Member Posts: 531
    2005 was the tough year. The S has arrived to help out in 06.

I predict Mercedes will have its 13th consecutive sales increase this year: something in the order of 240,000+ units.

The facelifted E only needs to gain a bit of traction to beat 2005 totals.

The C is the weak link in the chain for the next two years.
    Correct on all counts. Going to be a long year for the C-Class. The only thing that will save it from falling complete off the charts is that it finally has some great engines that are competitive with the class.

Up next SL (facelift already been shown), E-Class facelift and the CL. All of these should be on the stand at Geneva the first week of March.

M
    very optomistic about Mercedes' future: more so than at any time in the last 5 years.

The CLS and new S are great. The other new vehicles seem to be on target as well. Also, over the last 6-12 months management has realized that quality and reliability problems are serious matters that need to be put right.

This is the first time in years that Mercedes, Cadillac, Rolls and Bentley are all doing well at the same time!
    I wouldn't count on the Jan sales figures though, they'll be in the 12-15K range if the typical Jan is anything to go by. Import luxury brands always seem to get off to a slow start. Mercedes in particular doesn pick up until like March-April. This year it might be Feb since the new S will go on sale around the middle of Feb. The new GL will arrive in March from all I've seen on it so far. The facelifted SL and E arrive in May-June along with the S65 AMG. The ML63 is due in April also. Not sure when the CLS, R and ML get the new V8.

M
    be slow, which is typical for MB.

My optomism is based on Mercedes doing well over the next several years. There may be a few weak months, but the new products are on target.

I too think the GL will be a serious player. The E facelift should boost late summer and fall sales. The SL is a profit center for DC: every extra sale that results from updating the big roadster helps the bottom line.

By the way: did MB deliberately choose the worst possible camera angles for early release S-class pictures? Your pictures from Detroit and others I have seen look so much better than those early ones.
    By the way: did MB deliberately choose the worst possible camera angles for early release S-class pictures? Your pictures from Detroit and others I have seen look so much better than those early ones.

I dunno, but the car looks so much better in real life and in real life photos than it did in those initial press shots.

M
    The details for the SL55 and SL65 AMG models have been announced.

Article

M
    were up 3%. Quite impressive after the big December.

The CLS, M, G and R carried the ball for January sales: Some of the other models were down quite dramatically.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2006/02/01/209083.html
    I don't know if I'd call it impressive, but any improvement is good I guess. It is interesting though that the Jan numbers are like a third of the Dec 2005 number. The Feb-April numbers will set the pace for the year I think. That is when the S and GL go on sale.

M
    The R, which I own and love, sold less than 1000. Ouch. I cant believe MB cant move these things.
    Well MB's Jan sales are always slow especially compared with the Dec that just past. I don't think the R will ever live up to Mercedes' initial expectations or 20-30K a year, but it will do better than Jan's total for sure. Jan is always a steep dropoff month for MB.

M
    Spy pics for the upcoming 2008 C-Class are all over the web now it seems:

another pic

one the road

The profile looks like that of the new S-Class, but the rear looks to be the same as the upcoming CL.

M
    Mercedes has some type of debut planned for the Chicago Autoshow this week it seems. The S450 or GL550 are the only possibilities I can think of. It certainly won't be the facelifted SL or E-Class. The ML63 could be another possibility? Or even the V8 engine change overs for the ML.

M
    The look and stance of the C class spy photos is all S-class. IMO the look is right on target and should greatly boost C class sales.

The faster the new C is on the lots the better!

As to Chicago: I expect it will be the new V-8s in the ML.
  • benzsalesmanbenzsalesman Member Posts: 2
    Mercedes is coming out with the GL450 in March to compete with the LX470.
    In reading your profile I see you're a Benz salesman. A few questions. Do you know the new V8s will be placed into the R/M/CLK/E models? Another salesperson said that the S450 was delayed??? If you would please. :D

M
    Well I see now they're talking about the ML63 and R63 debuting in Chicago this week. Those models were a given I think. Me wanted a surprise!!!

M
    Base price of $140,675.

Biturbo V-12 with 510 HP and 612 ft/lb torque (at 1800 rpm!) Engine uses various metals: cast iron, aluminium and magnesium.

'Higher level of wood and leather' compared to the base S class sedans.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2006/02/09/210135.html
    Oh my. When will the HP madness end ;)
    What you talkin' bout? The new S600 "only" has 510hp...lol!!!!

Wait until the S65 AMG goes sale.

I see the new S-Class has arrived. Local dealer had a truck load of them pulling up last night.

M
  • rockypaulrockypaul Member Posts: 104
    Dear Merc,

Been waiting to add an E-550 4-Matic Wagon to my S-430 4-Matic fleet.
    Have been absolutely resistant to buying Sensormatic brakes.

I hear the '07 E will eliminate those in favor of conventional hydraulics.

True?

Availability of such a model anytime this year?
    All true. I would expect the E550 this summer like June/July and the SBC brakes gone!!!

M
    The AMG parade starts:

Presenting the CLK63 AMG:

In Short 482hp and 465lb-ft of torue, 2007 model for the U.S. late summer/fall. Replaces the current CLK55 AMG Cabriolet on the U.S. market. The CLK55 Coupe was dropped for 2006. No word on wether or not we'll get the CLK63 Coupe.

Also the CLS63 AMG:

In short: 515hp and 465lb-ft of torque, replaced the CLS55 AMG. More hp, less torque, but more gears.

German Article

It appears that the new CL may be at Geneva also. If that is the case, there should be a press release with the offical pics any day now. The CLS63 and CLK63 will all be at Geneva. The regular CLS and CLK models should also be shown with the new 5.5L V8 from the S550 at this time also.

M
    Offical press release on the CLK63, CLS63, and facelifted SL models.

M
    Thanks as usual for all the info, Merc1.

Have you seen HP/Torque numbers for the SL 65 AMG anywhere?
    The numbers for the SL65 stay the same I think 612hp and 738lb-ft of torque or 604hp in U.S. numbers.

M
    will have a HP/torque boost in the next 12-18 months.

The spread between the V-8 and the V-12 has traditionally been greater than what it now is.
    Well when they do come out with the SL/CL/S "63" models they'll likely have a turbo version of the new AMG V8 with like 550-570hp. At that time I expect the "65" cars to get a boost to 650hp to keep them comfortably ahead of the new V8 models. I'm betting on the 2008 model year for this to take place.

M
    That would be my guess about the timetable also. When this happens:

1) the actual HP spread between the V-8 and V-12 SLs will be bigger than ever.

2) on a percentage basis (14% boost from 570HP to 650 HP) the difference will be less than in the past.

For instance in 2002, the SL 600 was almost 29% more powerful than the SL 500, having 389 HP vs. the 302 HP of the V-8.
    I'm reading now on GCZ (GermanCarZone) that Mercedes is going to show a direct-injection version of the 3.5L V6. It produces 292hp (288 in the U.S.)/270 lb-ft torque in the facelifted E350 with a projected 26.6 MPG rating. Just like always expect this engine to spread to all the "350" models before the end of 2006. When I see something offical I'll post it here of course. This was taken from a rough translation of a German magazine. All of this is supposed to be shown at Geneva in a week or so.

M
    SL 350 be available in the US at some point?
This discussion has been closed.