Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz: Future Models

Comments

• merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    I'm officially on the floor now......someone please call 911....lol!!!!!!

M
  • wale_bate1wale_bate1 Posts: 1,986
    The Hemi is probably the best thing to happen to Chrysler in a good long while, but it is near-antediluvian (cylinder shut-down not withstanding), and the cars it powers are simply too big for my tastes. It is nice to see something at the Chrysler/Dodge shops lining tem up at the door again. Let's hope they don't screw the pooch with a laissez-faire 'tude this time!

That B-class hatch with the 3.2L or so? Geddouttahere!
    The 2005 lineup (so far):

C230
    C240
    C320
    C55 AMG
    (several bodystyles for most engine/trim choices and 4Matic versions)

E320
    E320 CDI
    E500
    E55 AMG
    (Again, several bodystyle for most engine choices and 4Matic versions)

S430
    S500
    S600
    S55 AMG

CL500
    CL55 AMG
    CL600
    CL65 AMG

SL500
    SL55 AMG
    SL600
    SL65 AMG

CLK320
    CLK500
    CLK55 AMG (Coupe and converitble bodystyles for each engine choice)

SLK350 (brand new models)
    SLK55 AMG

ML350
    ML500

G500
    G55 AMG (new 469hp supercharged engine from the E/CL/S/SL "55" models)

SLR McLaren

For the 2006 model year:

CLS500 (Feb-March 2005 with a next generation V8)

R-Class (known as the GST right now, giant crossover vehicle)

M-Class (all new model, May 2005 as a 2006 model)

Is this too many models?

M
  • saugataksaugatak Posts: 488
    IMO, way too many models, way too confusing. Giving so many options must also make the possibilities for error greater, which is not going to help MB's reliability.
    That is the current thinking, but they only have a few more than BMW does, and Audi is coming with more models also. In Mercedes' case though some of those don't sell more than 1K units a year, some even less.

What models do you think they should eliminate?

M
  • myslk350myslk350 Posts: 3
    I am #4 on the SLK 350 wait list here in BR, LA. I am very apprehensive about the sticker prices I've heard. MERC1, hope you are correct that the SLK 350 will top out at around 52K with a base sticker of approx 46-48K. Like yourself, I can't imagine that Mercedes would taint the release of this roadster with such an outrageous base MSRP; otherwise, I should just buy the Boxster S if the SLK ends up in the upper 50's.
  • I was informed of the MSRP from my local dealership, where I am waiting to place my order for the new SLK 350. The base price will be $45,900, with manual 7-speed transmission. Available options include automatic transmission, high-end Harmon Kardon stereo w/changer, and a complete upgrade package for $5,000, which includes all of the above options and more.
  • It was just announced that Mercedes will not bring the A class to the USA. I think this is a smart decision. I am in favor of having lots of new model choices, but I think the A would have flopped big-time. For any car that size to sell well here, it would need top-notch driving dynamics (like a Mini Cooper or BMW 1 series). I think BMW could do well in the USA with the 1 series if they use the 2.5 inline six. But I fear the A class would not handle as well or be as fun to drive. Nobody wants an average handling, small, and relatively expensive (I assume it would easily have cost over 20K) car in the USA.
  • I am interested in the CLS500. I have a 2000 E320 and am looking for a new car. Considering Jaguar XJ and Corvette (nixed by wife). She is concerned about price, but for some reason likes the CLS because she likes the idea that if I do spend a lot of money, stick with Mercedes (go figure). Don't want an E because it's too similar to what I've had for 4.5 year.

I've seen pictures on the Internet and have read a little, but am looking for more information, such as specs and when exactly is will be available (I've heard January). Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • Also, is there a discussion dedicated to or at least including more CLS talk?
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Posts: 619
    The B Class is coming to the USA, and from all appearances it is a stretched A class, identical to the A class from the front seats forward. Whether or not it has driving dynamics that would appeal to US drivers remains to be seen, but it appears to be an attractive package.
  • I agree that the B Class is a more attractive package than the A Class, as the B looks like a scaled down version of the new R Class sports tourer. From a size standpoint, I think it is big enough to be viable. Whether it has the driving dynamics to compete with the Audi A3 and future BMW 1 series remains to be seen. I hope that Mercedes offers a version of the new 4 valve six cylinder engine family with the 7 speed G-tronic and 6 speed manual.
  • It's been a long time. Salutations!

This seems to be a Benz-bashing site, so naturally I'd better investigate!

In short, yeah, Mercedesa is SMOTHERING the market in models, and not showing a commenserate increase in sales, so some beancounter should hold up a red-flag.

That B-Blass looks like a Mazda MPV to me. I can't see what it's competition would be, much less a price.

I dig the SL, CL, E-Class (except for the electric brakes and throttle), and the S-Class general styling (sans the S430 model, the Comand system, and the $10k too high price).

Everything else needs serious work.

The M seems to be getting attention as we speak.

The G is just too archaic outside.

The C should go to one model only, the C320, with stick and AWD available.

The CLS is just a strange-looking concept of a car, one better left at a car show turntable. Overstyled, a true misfit.

The B-Class: See above

The A-Class: See above

Drop one of the CL AMG models.

Give the C-sedan some original style, a sense of independence. It comes off as a half-pint S430 with no back seat, and a mutated cousin (C230).

Mercedes is becoming the GM of the luxury market. Overgrown, needs landscaping, furnace works good, but the piping has gone bad! Hate to say it, but it's true....

Desperate? Like no other.

DrFill (DIG)
  • Does anyone have any update on when the CLS will be out. MB had said 1-17 but it's still not on their web site. I'm looking for official specs / pricing etc. Thanks.
    Naturally I disagree with that rant.

This is the first time though I've heard of an "overstyled" car which say the CLS is. Is that opposed to a understyled or no-styled car that each and every Lexus is?

The only thing we might be close on the B-Class, while I personally don't have problem with its looks, the price and fwd layout are not traditional Mercedes and shouldn't be sold here.

Lexus: The relentless pursuit for complete and utter bordem.

M
    But for the FWD, the B-class appeals to me mightily. The size and look are no end enticing, IMO. The lack of RWD (or AWD as a second choice) means it's off my books from the get-go.

I assume the price is not traditional US Mercedes, and so therefore shouldn't come here. Codswallop.

Unfortunately, the closest Benz to a compact sport wagon (C320) was dropped like an old glove here, leaving nothing but the underpowered and overpriced C240 for the backpack enthusiast. I had hoped the B would be RWD and would take some of the sting away in range of power choices and perhaps an AMG. No.

On Lexus, my apparently soon to be former brand, the less said, the better. Thanks goodness for Audi...
  • Where's Audi? Their in last place in sales, market share and have the weakest resale. And the electrical systems light up more than a 10 penny slot machine Vegas. Lexus is hardly worried about boutique little Audi. Hardly. The new Chicago garbage truck grilles are sure to turn this around though heheheh...

The CLS is overstyled and a slyly done Jaguar rework (can't fool this old goat) just like they cloned the round headlight on the 96 E class and called it all new Mercedes design. So Mercedes has this so-called styling but their quality is in the toilet compared to the stronger Japanese. Which does the consumer care more about a kool looking curve or telling the boss can't come in today Jim fixing my car AGAIN.

If Lexus is utter boredom that's a compliment because the E class is utter generic looking safe design that has an interior on level with Nissan of today. Merc1 your trying too hard sailor. You know your favorite brand is not what it use to be and that's all their fault. Competition brings out the problems that once were hidden or swept under. You can't wish away a problem or live in denial. My uncle wisely said way back wait till the Japanese get to the Germans they will feel the pain the domestics did. And they are. Another salute to Toyota the world's most powerful auto making money machine.
    Lots of opinion (E-class styling/interior) there mixed in with some facts about Mercedes' reliability woes.

If you don't like the CLS that is fine and of course your styling critique is your opinion. Mercedes has always been, beyond there three sedan models, a niche player and the CLS is just another car in that tradition. The SLK, SL, CL, G and SLR are all niche products.

At this point I find the harping about reliability to be something that most here can do because they have nothing else to really talk about anymore. I don't expect any car company to be able to fix their problems overnight...long as they are doing something about it...it is encouraging to me. Mercedes seems to be doing something about their problems, trouble is Americans are slow to learn there is a problem and once they do they're even slower to realize the problem has been fixed. Oh, and I'm not saying the problem is fixed at Mercedes, but I am saying the ranting about it is beyond tired at this point.

You'll talk about Mercedes' quality being in the toilet and I'll continue to say Lexus makes the worlds most boringly and/or derivative luxury cars inside and out, with both views being able to be supported by either surveys or roadtests, so we'll have to agree to disagree.

M
  • mezecamezeca Posts: 66
    Very well said!!!

Mercedes is always very good about taking care of their customers. I personally find the complete lack of rearward vision on an RX as well as the "detached" driving experience of all Lexus models to be far worse of an engineering flaw than a software "flash" for an E class radio that shuts off a few times.

At least a Mercedes has proper driving dynamics.

P.S. Mercedes makes all the available models with more features because they can. It takes gifted engineering to build an arsenal such as theirs, that's why everyone else sits on the fence to see what Mercedes does first, then follows suit.
    In agreement with one of Merc's earlier points, another reason why FWD may be the Achilles heel of the B-class here:

I think the concept is saleable overall (Golf has done pretty well for a hatch here), but why buy the Benz over a long-term player, now well-updated. If they'd made the B AWD, at least it would have a competitive angle against the incoming A3 (my personal current favorite for upcoming Lexus replacement).

I don't buy the "price point dilutes the brand" argument. For me, it wasn't the price point I was after when I bought compact, but rather the size and characteristics. Small, very sporty, and with a premium range of choices of amenities is what I want. What I don't want is anything larger than what I have.

Precious few options out there when you get right down to it.
    I'm glad you liked the post!

wale_bate1,

I agree about the placement of the B-Class. I would think awd would be automatic option for the car, but nope. I really don't think the B-Class will be a hit, but they should sell as many of the R-Class as they can make.

M
    The B-Class has been taken off the U.S. website's "future models" section. I think they're leaning towards not bringing it here. Good decision imo.

M
    And the models keep a comin'....

2007 R-Class - Will debut at either the New York Auto Show this April or 2006 Detroit Auto Show and goes on sale in the spring of 2006, approx. one year after the M-Class. Expect two V8s and an AmG model at a later date. No V6 so it and new ML don't overlap, but a diesel hybrid is very likely sometime after launch.

2006 M-Class - Is in pilot production now. Goes on sale in April as the ML350 (new DOHC V6) and ML500. ML320 CDI will be offered after the U.S. diesel fuel supply is cleaned up. The deadline for this is Aug/Sept 2006. The ML320 CDI will be a 2007 model at the earliest.

2006 CLK - This current model will be facelifted and on sale late summer/early fall in the U.S. Interior/exterior changes are slight. CLK320 becomes the CLK350. Details will be made public at the Geneva Motorshow in March.

2006 E350 - Goes on sale last week of Feb/first week of March. New 268hp DOHC V6 from SLK, and a real Sport package (seats, supsension, exhaust, shift buttons one wheel) will be available on the E350 and E500.

2006 C-Class - Engine-revised models will be shown in March at the Geneva Motorshow. The C320 becomes the C350. A futher revised Sport package is on board also. The C240 is to be replaced by the C280/C300 (some debate as to how it will be badged). Either way it is said to have a 228hp version of the new DOHC V6. Unlikely to happen, but rumored: the 4-cylinder C230 is to be replaced by a 2.5L 205hp version of the new DOHC V6, named the C230, not "C250" because the C230 Sedan has been so popular. Not sure what will happen to the C "Coupe" uh..hatchback. In Europe it gets all the new changes as the sedans/wagons. The C350 Wagon will come to the U.S. this fall.

2006 SLK-Class - Will get the smaller 228hp V6 mentioned above as an entry-level SLK280/300 model. No 4-cylinder SLKs are coming to the U.S. this time around.

2006/07 S-Class - Will debut at the IAA (Frankfurt) Autoshow in Sept. Should debut here at the 2006 Detroit Auto show. Engine lineup is all over the place. Everything from a new V6 S350 to a S600 CDI, yes a V12 diesel with 460hp and 800lb-ft of torque is rumored.

After these and sometime in 2006 there will be a new CL, a G-Class replacment, a facelifted E-Class and truly frightening rumor...the SL gets a facelift to include a nose like the SLK/SLR!

M
  • "After these and sometime in 2006 there will be a new CL, a G-Class replacment, a facelifted E-Class and truly frightening rumor...the SL gets a facelift to include a nose like the SLK/SLR!"

They do that to the SL/CL and they will ruin one of the most beautiful cars on the road IMO. I'm definitely now a fan of the SLR nose. I am really looking forward to the R class in 06.

And my wife had one of those "unloved" C coupes for 3 years, so be nice :)
    Well at this point there are two Mercedes models that are pretty much definitely getting a facelift for 2007, the E-Class and SL. The E won't be anything dramatic, new V8, interior changes, equipment, lights, bumpers you know that type of stuff. The SL however is supposed to get a SLR/SLK type nose, and I agree that will ruin the car because unlike the SLR and SLK the SL wasn't designed for such a snout to begin with, plus the current front end is gorgeous as is. I agree it will ruin the car, at least in theory.

M
    Already a correction to the above. I'm reading about and have seen some pics at MBCanada.com and autolies about the SL getting a facelift, and there is no SLR/SLK type nose. Thank goodness.

M
    Well the B-Class is a no go:

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0502/07/autos-82066.htm

I guess the exchange rates would make it too expensive and/or they wouldn't make any money on it for a low price.

M
    Ya know, I'd say it was too bad Merc, but, frankly, based on other options already on their way, I seriously doubt it will be missed.

We all know I don't buy into the whole marque-prestige thing, but this may be one instance in which so-called "bottom feeding" would in fact have been detrimental.

Ah well, I'll just wait until a suitable sport-lux RWD replacement for my car pops up. Until then, next years's AWD purchase will have to do!
  • Yeah, real big loss it's not coming here. Another bottom feeder to join the C class hatch group.
This discussion has been closed.