Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz: Future Models

Comments

• merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    True I'm sure they'd like to do about 2K a month, but that isn't going to happen often enough. I expect the GL to do much better.

M
    Sales were up 21+ percent for May 2006 vs. May 2005. The S,E,R,SL,SLK and new GL were all responsible for this huge gain.

Dealers must be giving away 06' E-Classes ahead of the new 07' model arriving at the end of June. The R-Class moved only 1400 or so units, still not up to what MB needs in order to meet their goal of 20K a year. The GL was the surprise, it outsold the ML.

Sales

Also Mercedes has confirmed their 2007 model lineup. The new CL550 and CL600 arrive at year-end. In the "I don't understand category", the R500, ML500 and G500 keep the old 5L V8 instead of getting the new 5.5L V8. The CLK550 has also been confirmed.

2007 MB Models

M

As the only eight-cylinder roadster in its segment the Mercedes-Benz SLK 55 AMG provides unique driving experience. The two-seater is now even more sporty: Mercedes AMG has developed an exclusive and distinctly puristic special series which sets new standards in driving dynamics. With the AMG 5.5-litre V8 engine enhanced to 294 kW/400 hp and 520 Newton metres, numerous lightweight construction components, carbon hardtop, 19-inch AMG forged wheels, AMG height-adjustable torsion sports suspension and AMG high-performance composite brake system the special SLK 55 AMG demonstrates even more convincingly its sports talent – and makes a good figure on any closed course.

Article

The only bad news is that this appears to be a Germany-only model.

M
    The S65 AMG is now up at MBUSA.com. A hefty $182,275.

M
    New or revised for 2007:

S550, S600, S65 AMG
    CLS550, CLS63 AMG
    E320 Bluetec, E550, E63 AMG
    SL550
    GL450, GL320 Bluetec (early 2007)
    R320 CDI, R63 AMG
    ML320 CDI, ML63 AMG
    CLK550, CLK63 AMG Cabriolet
    CL550, CL600 - all new, more info on these soon.
    G-Class - facelift

2008 Model Year - A glimpse into the future:

New C-Class, C350 should get the new direct-injection V6, 292hp. C63 AMG with somewhere over 400hp to combat new RS4 and upcoming V8-powered E90 BMW M3.

SLK - Facelift, SLK350 gets above engine from new C350 and SLK55 becomes the SLK63 with 440hp.

The S63, CL63 and SL63 models should be added for 2008 with a turbocharged version of the new AMG 6.2L making around 570hp.

S320 and E320 Bluetec arrive in 50-state legal form with Adblue.

M
    The new CL550 and CL600 have been officially shown:

Article

Article

M
  • mikeebearmikeebear Member Posts: 13
    Perhaps MB created the CLS to put another vehicle in the 65-75k area since the new S class is now up well over 80k, and there were no other vehicles in that price range besides the S-500.

It says in some places that the backseat window view is poor over-all, and if that's the case, I don't see why MB just didn't make another sedan rather than trying to create some spaceship-like coupe. That might make more of business sense, although having the E and S already should be enough.

Some of you might suggest to just buy a bigger engine option if you want a vehicle in the 65-75k area, but that doesn't accommodate the consumers who want to pay more for luxury and better over-all vehicle rather than just a more powerful engine.

---

As for the direction of MB? It's clear. You mentioned BMWs and Lexus. BMWs are sports-luxury cars and Lexus has the identity of quiet, family cars. Mercedes is trying to give us both. Not just a sports car, not just a family car, but everything you could want in a car. That's kind of how I view mercedes-benz at this point, and I admit I do like it. They still engineer and design to high standards, they still drive wonderfully and perform wonderfully, and they still live up to their luxurious name.

I have a BMW and I was not very impressed on how much it compromised on luxury. Power seats didn't even come standard, (something I didn't know until after I got the car lol :lemon:)

Anyways I still love mercedes-benz and hope to be buying an slk soon!
  • albellalbell Member Posts: 185
    Whatever other issues they may be having, MB is sure turning out the most handsome cars out there.
  • mikeebearmikeebear Member Posts: 13
    I love the look of the new CL. The other model looked a little frumpy after a while.
    Aren't they! This is reason why Mercedes didn't fall off like Cadillac or others, they never stopped building great performing, looking, well engineered cars. They just go carried away with electronics and didn't take the time to make sure everything was up to snuff. Fingers crossed, but I haven't read anything bad about the new S-Class yet as far as quality/reliability so I think they're getting the reliability demon under control. The design, safety, performance and everything else never left.

M
    I'd have to agree on the quality front,too, judging from my experience with my R-Class. Knock wood, it's been perfect so far.
    Nearly everyone here has said the same thing about their R-Class, but the R was the problem child in the lastest survey at JD Power. Go figure.

What I'm waiting to see is what Consumer Reports says about the new S-Class. I haven't read more than one or two complaints about the car on 3 diffferent mesg boards about the car. It at least appears to be the most trouble-free launch of a new Benz in many years.

M
    Sales were up 14 percent vs June 2005.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2006/07/03/013542.html

The E,S,SLK,SL and GL all did their part. The R-Class continues to be the laggard of the bunch.

M

A continuing tradition: the new model variant SLR "722 Edition" is a homage by Mercedes-Benz to the unforgettable victory won by the British racing legend Stirling Moss and his co-driver Denis Jenkinson in a Mercedes-Benz 300 SLR with the starting number 722 (indicating a start time of 7.22 a.m.) at the Mille Miglia in 1955. With an output of 478 kW/650 hp and a corresponding performance, the new super sports car, which goes on sale on July 11, will not only make the hearts of car enthusiasts beat faster.

Article

M

M
  • wopelwopel Member Posts: 92
    Checking for updates on the arrival of the R320. Also, does anyone have any news on the price of same, and the gas mileage expected? I am hoping that MB would like to sell more Rs and that they won't jack up the price of the diesel so high that it negates the better gas mileage.
    I'd say around Oct. or so because of the fuel requirements the new V6 engine has, and the new low sulfur diesel has just started being used in some areas.

M
    Thanks. You always seem to have your finger on the pulse of things. My dealer is very small and always slow to get vehicles, and not much faster on info! I do love the new GL, but don't want to spend that much money. I may have to "settle" for the R to get size/space and diesel. I continue to read good things about the R, but surely JD Powers used it to send MB ratings plummeting. I sit and wait!
    It appears the first pics of the CL63 have been put up on one of MB's websites:

It appears that the CL63 will have a 525hp version of the new 6.2L V8, naturally aspirated.

M

M
  • scott1256scott1256 Member Posts: 531
    Thanks for the pictures: sales are going great. We should see a solid double digit increase this year.

Have a look at today's Autoextremist - is this true? If so, who came up with the idea?

Homogenization and decline of Mercedes image: upcoming DCX "Phoenix" V-6 corporate engine program will see identical engines in Chrysler and Mercedes...

The once-hallowed Mercedes-Benz brand "blended" into the vast vagueness that defines Chrysler

An E class, an SLK, a Sebring and a Dodge pickup all using the same drivetrain?!

Details at http://www.autoextremist.com/page2.shtml
    Well the autoextremist often talks out of places where people shouldn't.

There is no way a Chrysler and a Benz are going to have "identical" engines.

They may start out with the same block or design at some point down the road, but you can bet the MB version will be high-end throughly different from the Chrysler version.

M
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    I wouldn't be so definite.

They are using the same trannies in some instances, right?

And just look at Nissan's use of the 3.5 across the board. It doesn't seem to bother them.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Well anything can happen, but I can't ever see that because they aren't going to produce such a V6 to be used in the same trim/tune across the board, it would be too costly for Chrysler if they had an engine up to MB specs.

Yes certain Chrysler use a version of MB's older 5-speed automatic, but most MB's have the new 7-Speed trans now.

Nissan and Infiniti is a whole different ball game from Chrysler and Mercees-Benz.

M
    My reason for concern is that MB management in Europe don't seem to understand MB's position in the USA.

In Euro markets the A class, taxi-spec C and very basic E class cars co-exist happily with the S, SL, CE and other premium models.

They may not perceive the image dilution that component sharing with Dodge/Chrysler would bring here in the USA.
    Thanks for the pictures - but you make me feel old!

I remember picture #2 coupes on the road and picture #3 coupes in the showroom.
    My reason for concern is that MB management in Europe don't seem to understand MB's position in the USA.

I wouldn't say that, because we only get the high-end models here and in the best trim. I just hope someone understands that a MB and a Chrysler can't ever be interchangable!

M
    This thing is really hot:

First Opinion:

"The SLK 55 Black Edition proves that track-focused specials don’t need to compromise on style to really impress. Generous equipment confirms that the maker has thought hard about the demands of potential customers. But it’s the AMG’s performance that remains the biggest surprise. It’s certainly the best driver’s car Mercedes has built in this class, and one of the most thrilling, too."

Article

M
    Well I only go back to the 80's W126 "SEC" coupes myself...lol!

M
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    is it available in the US?

John
    I doubt it since they're only building like 10-15 units a month and the asking price would be like 100K here in the U.S. That is very pricey for a SLK, even a hardcore track version.

M
    Only a 3.8 percent increase vs. July 2005. Overall the Germans took a beating this month, with only MB and VW posting gains.

Sales

M
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    at least they treaded water...

The US big 3 lost between 22 and 37% year on year :sick:

John
    Strip out the new S, and sales were pretty weak across the other product lines. Will be interesting to see if the tweaks revive E class sales.
    A little more on those coupes. For me it starts with the C126:

Then the C140:

Then the C215, which I thought was the best looking Mercedes since the 1990 SL:

Now of course the C216:

Stunning IMO. The design lineage is pretty strong from one design to the next.

M
    I feel quite positive about these results: I see the MB glass as half full.

The new S is really carrying the ball. Remember that Cadillac, Jaguar, Lexus trucks, Infiniti, Acura and others are not doing doing so well this year.

My 3 old favorites - MB, GM and British luxury brands - sure give me fits. Seems only one at a time does well.
    What years was the silver coupe next to the C126 manufactured?

As I told you, that is the first 'new' MB coupe I remember as a tadpole.

I recall very few black or navy blue MB cars (especially coupes) in the 1960s. Silver, red, tan, dark green and brown were popular. Common interiors were red, tan/cream, brown and blue.
    What years was the silver coupe next to the C126 manufactured?

Well that was the W111/W112 model, produced from 1961 to 1980 apparently with 28,918 units produced during those years. Anything before the 80's is iffy for me. Here is the article detailing all of them.

M
    Does anyone have numbers on the MPG of the upcoming R and GL diesels? As the E320 does so well with mpg, I'm hoping the other models do as well. However, I realize they are much heavier automobiles.
    I may have asked this before, but does anyone have a feel for the new pricing of the 320s? MB has a tendency to up the price for a diesel, so will that negate the better mileage?
  • rleyrley Member Posts: 4
    Just guessing, but I think the ML320CDI will be at 24/30 and the R320CDI at 24/31. I arrived at these figures by taking the difference between the E350 and E320CDI, (8mpg city, 10mpg hwy) and applying these figures to the ML350 and R350.

The question one has to ask is: Does this difference in mileage make sense considering the inconvenience (small that it may be) of having to find diesel fuel and the difference in the initial cost of the vehicle? The cost of diesel in my area (Indiana) varies between the same as mid grade and sometimes as high as premium.
    I meant to post this a few days ago, but it appears that more AMG models are on the way:

A model I don't see the point of actually, the GL63 AMG. Running the same 475-507hp 6.2L naturally aspirated V8 as all the other recently introduced "63" cars.

Then of course there is the CL63 or C65 AMG:

Finally there are some really good detailed spy pics of the upcoming 2008 C-Class:

Then there is of course the C63 AMG:

M
    I know you get this request every few months, but here goes again.

Can you give us another of your brief "upcoming MB model" summaries? It's nice to see everything in compact list form.

Thanks in advance! :)
    Sure!

All the 07's are here now except the S550 4Matic (November), the ML/R/E diesels (October) and the new CL which is due in December.

For 2008....the C-Class will be all new. The C230, 280, and C350 I expect to all return but the C230 and C280 will likely be called the C250 and C300 to reflect their actual engine sizes. The C350 I'm betting will get the direct-injection version of the 3.5L V6, good for 292hp. This class is moving fast in hp thanks to the 335i/IS350/G35.

The SLK will get the usual mid-life facelift. The SLK350 will get the same engine as the 08' C350, and the SLK55 should become the SLK63 with something like 420-450hp.

The SL, E, and CLK should all stay put until they get redesigned in 2010, 2009, and 2008 respectively.

The new CL63 and S63 AMG versions of the CL and S-Class will be shown in Sept at the Paris Auto Show. Expected is a 525hp naturally aspirated version of the new AMG V8. These will land here next spring as early 08' models. I nor anyone else seems to know anything about the missing S450 version of the S-Class.

The CLS might get a facelift for 2008, not sure. A GL320 CDI per Edmunds is dues in Jan, my first time hearing about it.

That is all I can think of at the moment.....

Oh....the SLK55 Black Series isn't likely to come here, but the upcoming CLK63 Black Series is, expect a breathtaking price!

M
    I forgot the GLK is due in 2008. That is the smaller brother of the ML/GL. It will compete with the BMW X3, Audi Q5, Acura RDX etc. etc.

M
    I think the new C class will be a big boost for sales. It is the weak link in the lineup right now.

Have you heard if there's any chance of a diesel C model coming here in the medium term?
    Have you heard if there's any chance of a diesel C model coming here in the medium term?

Nope, haven't heard anything, but I'd bet that for 2009 we'd see a C-Class diesel if diesel sales of other Benzes really take off.

M
    It would sell well. The diesel C200 model is rated at 32 mpg city and 55 mpg hiway (imperial gallons) in the UK.

That translates to about 27 mpg city and 46 mpg hiway in US gallons - pretty impressive.

The 4 cylinder diesel would not be out of place in US C class, IMO. The 240D sold very well as long as it was offered here.

The Mercedes-Benz S-Class is now available with 4MATIC permanent all-wheel drive. Developed entirely in-house by Mercedes-Benz, this all-new drive system combines perfect traction, first-class comfort and impressive driving dynamics with good fuel economy. Two powerful eight-cylinder models are available in the form of the S 500 4MATIC and S 450 4MATIC while the S 320 CDI 4MATIC is the first S-Class all-wheel-drive variant to be equipped with a particularly economical V6 diesel engine. The new models with all-wheel drive are identified clearly by the 4MATIC legend which appears both on the boot lid and on the wooden trim element on the centre console.

Full Article

M
This discussion has been closed.