Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda9

Comments

• nedc2nedc2 Member Posts: 192
    Mazda do offer the Tribute in Europe with the 3.0 l Duratec, it's not in the 6 because with gas prices of $4 to $5 per gallon there's not much demand. The base engine on the Euro version of the Jaguar XJ is 3.0 l V6, and the only Ford in Europe other than the Maverick/Escape that offers the 3.0 l is the Mondeo ST220, a highe priced perormance version of that car. You can get almost anything with a diesel though.
  • rp64rp64 Member Posts: 13
    Your response is incorrect. Mazda could use the Duratec anywhere in the world if they wanted to. They ship the engine to Japan to drop into the MPV. They don't since the rest of the world pay higher gas prices, and have been conditioned to use smaller engines. Don't say Mazda borrows from Ford. Mazda is part of the Ford family, period. This is why new Ford models are based on Mazdas and Volvos. This is why the Duratec is used in Mazdas and why the Ford 2.5 V6 is going to be dropped into a Land Rover.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    I won't nit pick as long as you get your rantings correct.
  • rock44xrock44x Member Posts: 78
    "The Duratec35 can be tailored to produce anywhere from 240HP to even 300HP if need be."
    thats a joke ford has v8 engines that make that must power doubt if the Duratec35 will make more that 240hp max.

and also the mazda9 was at the NY auto show it was called the Lincoln Zephyr.
  • ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    But the V8's make much torque, and fit into certain platforms.

The Duratec35 will replace, what (or displace) where the current 4.6L is at. Meaning, the 4.6L in the Explorer now making 239HP and 282TQ, will be redesigned with 3 valve techonology next year for it's mid-generation refreshning. (What's going in the new Mustang). That engine will make around 280-290HP in the next Explorer, this will leave a huge gap between it, and the 4.0L SOHV V6 210HP/245TQ.

That engine will be replaced by this new Duratec 35, and make much more power overall, and pretty much ALMOST match what the current V8 makes.
  • rock44xrock44x Member Posts: 78
    "That engine will make around 280-290HP in the next Explorer"

i have to see that to believe it. the new f150s 4.6 231 hp and 5.4L pushing 300hp but these are trucks, in the new 05 Five Hundred and Freestyle both have 3L engine pushing out 200hp, the only company that got a 3.5 pushing out around 280-290HP is nissan. ford is not in any hp war so why the huge power jump.

05 Mustang base will come with a 4.0L V6 pushing out 202 hp and 235 lb-ft of torque while 05 Mustang GT will have a 4.6-liter V8 300 hp and 315 pound-feet of torque.

if ford go form a 4.0 engine to a 3.5 engine in the next Explorer that would make no sense since all the mid sized suvs have 4.0L (4Runner, 05 Pathfinder)

and last if there is a mazde9 it is most likely be a redress ford Five Hundred with awd and more power 3L or 3.5L with 240hp, mazda is not in any hp war too.
    " the only company that got a 3.5 pushing out around 280-290HP"

The engine I was referring to was the 4.6L, although the 3.5L could make that type of power, it is the torque that's important for those applications.

The 4.0L Cologne Engine won't be around for long, so the Mustang will also have the 3.5L phased in a few years as well. This is why Ford wasn't sure if to place the Duratec30, or the 4.0L as the Mustang's base engine offering, and took awhile for them to decide upon that. The 4.0L will give them the torque needed, but the 3.5L will have overall refinement and efficiency which will be needed in the next few years.
  • r2s2r2s2 Member Posts: 93
    "and also the mazda9 was at the NY auto show it was called the Lincoln Zephyr."

Very astute observation. Hmmmmm.
  • sukispeedsukispeed Member Posts: 27
    If Mazda were going to produce the Mazda9 I would think it would me an SUV. This new SUV that they are going make along side the next Aviator. I don't think Mazda wants a larger car than the Mazda6. It would be nice to see a Mazda9 sedan, but I just do not see it happening.
    mazda is currently working on a $30-40K suv that should be bigger than the tribute but smaller than an Explorer. It may even end up being a crossover like the future avaiator. It is not green lighted for production yet, but it's deff in the works for serious consideration.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    "But overall, I think the thing to considering is the platform, and where this vehicle will stem from. There's 2 possibilities being tossed around, the current 500/Montego/Freeestyle platform, or an enlarged Mazda6 platform."

That's interesting that you bring the former possibility up. Those three vehicles are built on the Volvo S80 platform. Since Mazda Ford and Volvo built the platform for the current Mazda3/Euro Focus/S40 together could it be possible that they might do it again for a larger platform that will be used to build the next gen of their respective models?

I don't see why not.
    That's what's being tossed around currently. Also, Europe's Ford Galaxy minivan is said to be Volvo P2 platform derived since it's quite flexible as well. This will leave open options.

Another thing to note, the Next Volvo S60 will share platforms with the next generation Jag X-type.

So it brings out many possibilities.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Isn't the Ford Galaxy also rebadged as a Volkswagen Touran in Europe? (either the Touran or the Sharan, I don't remember)
    Yes it is, although that joint project might be desolved pending contract.
  • npaladin2000npaladin2000 Member Posts: 593
    That's not even close to the whole story. There's more to an engine than size, horsepower and torque. There's also where in the curve your horsepower and torque peaks are. Now, the reason Japanese get such high horsepower out of their engines is because they sacrifice torque to some degree, and their torque peaks are pretty high. GM tends to get lower pure horsepower and torque numbers because their torque peaks are REALLY low.

Then you have to factor in what kind of technology they use (Overhead cams, variable valve timing and/or lift, variable intakes, exhausts, etc). A pushrod 4L won't get as much power in some cases as a SOHC 4L, but the SOHC engine is more expensive to produce, and harder to work on because of greater complexity.

Simply put, The 3.5L Duratec most likely CAN get 300 HP, depending on the choices and comprimises they make.
  • iwantonetooiwantonetoo Member Posts: 86
    What about the 4.6 in the Cobra? That puts out 390hp and 390lb/ft, those are fairly decent numbers, wouldn't you say?
  • lexi4lifelexi4life Member Posts: 181
    I think this car will really show up in the future, you know. Ford already wants to share the platform of the Mazda6 to build the Fusion. So that'd be easy for Mazda to build the 9 since they could just take the platform of the 500 and build a sportier car on it. Mazda and Ford are sharing platforms since a long time (Tribute-Escape, 3-European Focus, MX-6-Probe) so I don't see why they wouldn't do it again for the next 9.
    I would rather see a Mazda 9 on the new Ford Falcon BA platform than the five-hundred.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    But, can the Falcon be adapted for the North American market on a cost effective basis? You'll note, that is rarely done - for a reason.... the Holden is the first attempt at this, and of course, Pontiac has sold, what 6 GTO's now???
    That's the issue. Our crash standards are very different from those in Australia. Hence, it would require some engineering to allow it. Importing it could cause an issue with the UAW.

But interesting to note, Ford NA does have a few Falcons they are studying, so there might be a possibility in the future for such a vehicle, provided it can be built from an existing platform, that's definately a MUST. But HANG in there, it might come around.
  • tlcmantlcman Member Posts: 220
    Well I am in the market again for a good family car and Im tired of Toyota and Hondas midsized offerings, I am not interested in any domestic make, So i stumbled over the 929 and the 626, both of with were very apealing to me on the outside, and the 929 was the same for the inside where as the 626 i was less enthusiastic but still interested about it. The setup I would accept would be a 626 with only the V-6 and preferably the 5speed manual, and the 929 only comes with the 6 and the 4 speed to my knoledge. The 929 is seriously drawing me to it because I love the interior design and the exterior as well, plus it has RWD vs. the 626 FWD (in my opinion a + for handling) and the V6 is more powerfull. I have herd thousands of stories of auto tranys going south in the 626 and was wondering if this was true for the 5 speed as well, and the 929 since it was a RWD i thought it would have a different tranny and not have the same problems is this wrong? I dont want to spend money on fixing the car but rather making it better. The cars that i am looking at are around the 100k miles fairly good condition considering years and milage, and also im working with a 6.5k budget. It sadens me that the Mazdas were plauged with transmision problems as I really like the style of the 929 and the 626 would be the alternative, but if they are a problem I want to know so that I do not get my self in a sinking hole of money spent on a car. And which ever one i might decide on, I will most likely take it over 100mph (unsure of what speed it was governed) to venture to see how this car is, as long as i determine it is safe. The 626 in a Manual would seriously tempt me to buy it. Info PLZ! (These are the first Mazdas I have ever been interested in)
    Wow, that takes me back about 10 years. Have you thought possibly of a Millenia instead of a 929 ?
  • tlcmantlcman Member Posts: 220
    im working with a 6.5 k budget and the avalibility of 929's around me are better than that of the millenia, plus i like the interior better on the 929
    I would do the 929 for various reasons. The RWD configuration makes it easier to fix any forthcoming issues, over a FWD which usually squishes everything in a tight engine bay. While the 3.0L V6 in the Mazda was nothing revolutionary at the time, the 2.5L V6 in the 626 was a bit more advance technology wise. Although the tranny is hit or miss on the 626. I've known some who had no issues, while some other that did require servicing.

Now, chances are if you do need to fix something, there's higher part availability for the 626, over the 929. IN other words, might have to pay more for 929 parts.

That's just my 2 cents...
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    This is allegedly the future Mazda9 discussion... but quite frankly, I don't know where else in the forums to send you for 929 info!

I see you've found the 626 discussion, so that's a good start.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Will there ever be a Mazda 9?
    It's being planned out...
  • wongpreswongpres Member Posts: 422
    "Will there ever be a Mazda 9?"

Yes.

All Mazda 'MX-...' concepts are future production vehicles, and the MX-Crossport that'll be introduced at NAIAS in just over a week will likely be called the Mazda9. Its competition includes the Nissan Murano and other crossover-type SUV's. Will reach dealerships in calendar year 2006.
    That's hot!!
  • mascmasc Member Posts: 21
    What are you basing your claim on? Do you have any contacts within Mazda? Or have received reliable intelligence? The rumored Mazda 9 should be a sedan... By looking at the recent Mazda redesigns, the Mazda 626 was redesigned into the Mazda 6. The Mazda Protege (also called the Mazda 323 in other parts of the world) was redesigned into the Mazda 3. And that leaves the top-of-the-line Mazda 929 SEDAN, that has been regretibly left to dust in the back of the Mazda stable... If Mazda ever deceides to create such a Mazda 9, it would most definitely be a redesign of the SEDAN 929, and not a brand new crossover SUV.
  • lexi4lifelexi4life Member Posts: 181
    Exactly what I was thinking!
  • tiger439tiger439 Member Posts: 3
    got a 1990 929 S, when i'm driving at approx. 85 km/h, the transmission keeps kicking back so it jerks the car most of the time. the idle was erratic but got it fix by adjusting the choke. i don't think this is induced by the tranny cause the engine revs up at the same time !!!!! is there a sensor or something the would cause this to happen?
    thanks
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Hi tiger439,
    This topic is for talking about the possibility of a future Mazda9. You should visit our Transmission Traumas? discussion to get help with your 1990 929 problem.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• tiger439tiger439 Member Posts: 3
    no problems....got it fix by the way...thanks
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    Oh, they might base it on the Falcon... For a second I was afraid they were going to base it on the Crown Vic!
  • thereptile1thereptile1 Member Posts: 2
    Great topic for a discussion. Here's my 2 cents:

Would I love to see a Mazda9 - hell yes! I own a Mazda6 and love it. I think it's a bit too small as a family car so moving up in size to a car with the same attitude and driving characteristics really appeals to me.

Will it happen? I'm not completely sold that it will. Why? The Mazda6 has been a hit in Asia and Europe. However, I don't see the need in those markets for a larger Mazda. The US would be the perfect place for this car but Mazda simply is not thought of when buyers look to go for a larger car. The Millennia was a terrific car in that segment and did not really capture the attention of the market. Maybe it was competitive reasons or maybe it was the state of Mazda at the time, but it should have sold better than it did. Also, maybe it's because it was supposed to be for the luxury line that never came about - anyone else remember that it was suppsed to be called Amati?

Besides a much smaller market for a Mazda9 than there is for the 6 globally there are cost issues to build. People have suggested that they use a Ford or Volvo platform to reduce the price of entry. Good thought, bad idea. I could be wrong, but Ford used the Volvo S80 platform for the 500. That platform is ideal when building a boxy car like the S80 and was partly to blame for the 500's less than attractive looks. Mazda would not have the freedom to build a car with the current Mazda DNA. If it doesn't look Mazda-cool, then they lost me as a buyer.

IMHO, Mazda would have to build the platform themselves. Ford and Volvo love the 3 and 6 platforms so much they are using them in current/planned vehicles so that may reduce the cost a bit but is it enough? If they can pull it off then they've got to find a niche at a pricepoint above the 6 and hopefully would not have to compromise too much in the process.

That's the end of the cons. Here are the pros. How many cars in the $25-32K range really excite you?. How many 'have the soul of a sports car'? Some come close but they're built to be more balanced between sporty and luxury. Chrysler was able to create quite a buzz with the 300 - it's in the same segment but was different enough to capture sales. Could Mazda do the same? I think so. They're on quite a roll and are very focused with what they're doing. The segment does not have to be a bunch of BMW 3-series wannabes. It could use a product that has more dramatic lines and puts a premium on handling. Is that enough? I don't know. But if they do end up making it and it's anything as fun as my Mazda6 then it's likely to sit on the top of my short list when I look to buy again in the next few years.
    You make a lot of great points, reptile1. I still think they could do it though, and this is why. The Toyota Avalon is built on the Camry platform, just fattened up and blown out a bit all around, and people think it's a "large" car. A Mazda 9 then theoretically could be built on the Mazda 6 platform, and enlarged a few inches in width and length without totally screwing up all of the dynamics of the platform. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, I believe the Mazda 6 platform is a very flexible one that can be adapted for lots of applications. Lincoln is going to build a car on it.

I think the main obstacle will be the market demand for the car. The 929 was a well received car, and the Millenia was a better car. But I don't know if either were profitable for Mazda, and that's going to be the bottom line..
    The Mazda6 platform (CD3) can be stretched quite a bit, even up to a 112 inch wheelbase if need be. Although what's really happening, is taking a current vehicle (more of a cross-over utility), sedanize it, and place it as a Mazda9. If anyone knows of the Volvo S100/C90 (depending on the source) idea, it's pretty much the same senario.

But because of the "Zoom Zoom Zoom" factor, Ford is waiting to implement the 3.5L Duratec35, before that project continues...
  • doppelgangadoppelganga Member Posts: 1
    Imo Mazda can further broaden its portfolio with a higher end model if they chose to do the "9". This could b wish full thinking but case in point Acura has the RL. Now doesn't that vehicle have a 3.5l V-6 and SH-AWD? Hmm? Ford will soon be releasing a 3.5l V-6 from the Duratec Family (Of Mazda design originally) and if not rwd why not save extra production cost then to use the Mazdaspeed 6's Awd? Similar to the Acuras layout im very sure by spicing the 3.5 and adding some zoom -zoom to the Awd, suspension, brakes, drivetrain, etc, Mazda would surely have a contender.
    Mazda6 production is heading to Mexico and that opens up Flat Rock for something new in the Mazda line-up. Rumors around flat rock seem to indicate a large mazda sedan....
    I think US version of the MPV will be built at Flat Rock, if they are moving the Mazda 6 to Mexico. I heard the the new MPV is so small for the US. So they world have to make a New US verison some place in the US. The rest of the world would get there MPV's from Japan. I still do not see Mazda making an new Mazda 9 sedan
  • mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    This discussion pops up every now and then and dies out pretty quickly (like it should). With the Mazda6 getting up-sized in 07 or 08, the Mazda9 would have to be even bigger. I think we'll see a Mazda9 at about the same time monkeys start flying out of my butt.
    Kiljoy!! Let us dream! I think Mazda should do a 9 to match Acura's RL, myself.
    This discussion pops up every now and then and dies out pretty quickly (like it should
    I think we'll see a Mazda9 at about the same time monkeys start flying out of my butt.

Well you might want to get your butt ready....My source at Flat Rock has informed me that they have been told to expect to build a full sized mazda car for the 2008 model year....so what do you think this may be??
  • doppelganga1doppelganga1 Member Posts: 1
    I own a '94 Mazda 929 and i love it i just wish they can go forth and produce the "9" with sporting credentials and crisp styling that mazda has now. If i had it my way i would want (Fantasizing) a 3.5l v-6 with that miller cycle they produced for the millenia. Add the mazdaspeed 6's awd. They should just do it Dammit!
  • mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    Ouch!
    I couldn't resist...lol. I don't know if it will be a good idea or not. I certainly have a void that needs to be filled in the near luxury catagory...We will have the Lincoln Zypher but not alot of mazda buyers will look at a lincoln..
    Energy prices may alter alot of mfg plans in the next few years.
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    "I think US version of the MPV will be built at Flat Rock, if they are moving the Mazda 6 to Mexico. I heard the the new MPV is so small for the US. So they world have to make a New US verison some place in the US. The rest of the world would get there MPV's from Japan. I still do not see Mazda making an new Mazda 9 sedan"

Oh no! The next 6 is going to be built in Mexico. I might have to stay away. Look at the dropping reliability record of the Nissan Sentra and the VW Jetta which has bad reliability and they are built in Mexico. I wanted to see what a next generation Mazda 6 looked like but I don;t like Mexican built.
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    I certainly have a void that needs to be filled in the near luxury catagory...
    Energy prices may alter alot of mfg plans in the next few years.

What are the chances of Mazda following the lead of Toyota and Honda and introducing their new star as a hybrid? Toyota and Honda have tried to break the reflex reaction of hybrid equalling nonperforming with their beefed up versions of the RX and Accord. It would be a shame if the 9 got less than the RL or G300 (currently 20/30 city/highway) which may be hybridized by 2008.

p.s. is the rotary hybrid stuck in neutral?
    Don't know...Mazda isnt on the hybrid bandwagon in a big way, they are putting their R&D into technologies like hydrogen and fuel cells....Ford on the other hand is planning a full frontal assault in this catagory....after driving a Mariner hybrid back to back agaisnt a Highlander I was impressed but the technology isnt for me, yet....I'm not sure this isnt a temporary technology and appearantly others feel the same way. Gas prices will dictate the future of hybrids and other technologies in the US. If gas stays under $3.00 per gallon most Americans won't rush to overpay for a car that gets better....People in countries that rip off consumers with massive gas taxes and $6.00 per gallon gas may have different opinions. ;)
This discussion has been closed.