Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Comments

• carspy01carspy01 Member Posts: 137
    Long time, no hear - I am back for a short time!
    The pictures are real, taken in Europe (Germany), temporary license plate from Stuttgart. Hmmm, interesting, ey?! The article mentioned (The CarConnection) is correct about the versions. The upcoming generations (Kia Sedona II/Carnival III, and Hyundai Trajet II) will - sooner or later - feature the upcoming top-of-the-line 3.8 liter V6 with VVT. Gas mileage should be way better then! Europe will get smaller V6 and Diesels, too.....
    See you around, take care,
    carspy01
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Pics make it look longer, bigger. Looks like the rear window might roll down, it's more recessed.

Looks better...

-juice
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    The new Spectra has sparked my interest in this company and its offerings. The current Sedona competes almost exclusively on price, as did the former Spectra. Things are changing. I hope they upgrade this van as thoroughly as they did their little car.

~alpha
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    that prices remains low.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    hey! Looks like Kia won't have to compete solely on price and that long haul warranty.
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    Yup. This new 3.8L engine from HyunKia should be great!
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    What will be different between the Hyundai version of the Sedona (if we get one) and the Sedona? Will the Kia be sportier, or will the Hyundai be more luxurious?
    Main change is that it appears to be a LOT longer, maybe even a whole foot longer.

-juice
    Split spoke rims also look nice.

-juice
  • player4player4 Member Posts: 362
    Spy Shots:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/images/gallery/8290_image.jpg

http://www.thecarconnection.com/images/gallery/8291_image.jpg

Article:

These latest spy photos capture a next-generation Kia Sedona minivan as it undergoes hot weather testing. The new Sedona will be built on a new platform that is shared with the Kia Optima and Hyundai Sonata sedans.

Styling looks to be rather conventional minivan, but the new Sedona does have one unusual feature - a prominent shoulder running the full length of the vehicle, located just under the window line. The prototype also is equipped with projector-beam-type headlights, which can be seen through the holes in the front disguise bra.

The new Sedona will be larger than the current model for more interior space. Note the six-bolt wheels of the new vehicle, as compared to the five-bolt wheels used before.

Full Article:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?n=178&sid=178&a- rticle=7452
  • monty2222monty2222 Member Posts: 48
    It better have the hide-away rear seats like all the competitors, or they will be left far behind.
    Looks bigger. The front end is a bit saggy, though. We'll see the undisguised pics.

-juice
  • andrewtran71andrewtran71 Member Posts: 840
    See some vertical slats on the grille, which is good, IMO.
    But I wish they would do away with that one big center horizonal slat on the grille. Either have all vertical with chrome surrounding or have all horizontal chromes, but please not mix them both.
  • andrewtran71andrewtran71 Member Posts: 840
    Too bad no interior shots with NAV screen:-)
  • craigmricraigmri Member Posts: 243
    I have no doubt the 2006 Sedona is going to be more competitive with the Honda and Toyota.

My guess is it will have magic fold away seats,power sliding door options, better gas mileage and better performance in every category(when I say "better" I mean better than the current Sedona).

If Kia offers a big owner loyalty rebate would you consider trading in your current Sedona on one?

Craig
    '04 Sedona EX
    In my opinion, the biggest items of contention for Kia on this vehicle's redesign will be to address issues regarding good but not excellent crash test results, interior flexibility, mediocre power, and abysmal fuel consumption. I was really impressed with the fit and finish and materials quality when I was in the Sedona at the NY auto show, so Kia should have no problem with that going forward. The automaker is turning out some nice vehicles of late... the Spectra, upcoming Sportage, etc. While I do realize Hyundai is a driving influence, I hope the Kia division's momentum continues through effective differentiation from that brand.

~alpha
  • alamid69alamid69 Member Posts: 59
    That is a possibility for me.
    Torque is actually decent. If it were just lighter it would perform just fine IMO.

-juice
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    Good post. One slight nit: EPA-rated fuel consumption numbers are abysmal, but actual numbers reported by owners seem to put Sedona's real-world fuel economy closer to the 'mediocre' range.
    Let me know when they reach "below average", then I'm interested. ;-)

-juice
    I'd hope for decent torque out of a 3.5L mill...
    Even so, I'd probably at best call 218 foot pounds at 3500 "adequate". Most 6 cyl family sedans can beat that figure, even ones with 3.0L engines... The Camry LE/XLE arent setting the pavement aflame, but both manage 220 foot pounds (admittedly up significantly higher on the rev meter.. but my point remains.)

The new GM crossover vans have similar ratings as the Kia unit, but are expected to be much more frugal.

Juice, are you in the market for a minivan? Interesting to see you on this thread.

~alpha
    I'm talking on the road. When I drove it the engine felt fine, it didn't need to rev much and moved the van along nicely.

Of course the van didn't have a full payload, either. That may be when it would matter.

We drove one a while back when the wife was car shopping. The front seats were not comfortable and it didn't offer any innovations. It felt like a competitive van, for 1995.

-juice
    Juice,

You make a great point.....a Competitive van in 1995 for 1995 prices in 2004.

Who cares if its not as good as a Honda or Toyota?

I live in a really nice house in a great subdivision. Is my house as nice as the upscale neighborhood down the road? No but who cares? I like it.

Craig
    '04 Sedona EX
    Seems to be a common criticism of the older design Koreans... up to class standards of a decade ago.

Hopefully, the newest Korean offerings will be really competitive with the best.

Just curious, juice- did you have an interest in driving/did you drive the new Spectra? Seems fairly impressive.

~alpha
    No but one of these days I will. I like the Spectra5. To really peak my interest it would need an AWD option, though.

Suzuki offers AWD and Hyundai has the parts, just look at the Tucson.

-juice
  • navyairnavyair Member Posts: 202
    Well, I don't know how much power Alpha 01 needs, but I know my 2003 runs like a scalded cat. I have to set the cruise control so I don't meet the "federales" on the highways around here.

Won't win any slalom courses with the weight but great power for a van in most situations. My van hardly goes anywhere without at least 3 people and their "stuff". Everytime I look, my wife has something else stashed in the back, or in between seats.

Our MPG beats the EPA estimate, but I'm not religious about checking it. If you get into a lot of stop and go driving, you are accelerating and stopping a lot of mass. I run synthetic oil, so that probably helps with one MPG or so.

As for torque, I guess if you are pulling stumps or stoplight drag racing....

My guess is that the heavier than sedan weight and torque from the sedan engine with the Oddy is what is causing their transmission problems.

Bottom line is that there is room for people to drive whatever they want/pay for. Just like there are bunches of SUV's and buyers for most of them...I'll drive the Sedona, accept a few flaws, stash the extra cash in my 401K and listen to the folks who complain about not having enough to $ retire, but have a new car/van every 2-3 yrs...coincidently about the time the warantee expires.

Good discussion folks. Looking forward to the arrivals of the 2006 long wheel base.
  • micwalkmicwalk Member Posts: 4
    I'm getting between 17 and 18 mpg on the highway with my 2005 Sedona. Should I expect to get better? I was told by the salesman that I could expect better than the sticker(22 mpg). At 5000+ miles I'm through any break-in, maybe it needs a tune-up already.
    If your getting 17 to 18 MPG with 100% highway miles I'd be a little bummed too! Recently we've done some long distance trips with no air and 35 psi in the tires and we got 22 to 23 and that's fine with me.

Craig

'04 Sedona EX
    Straight highway driving, you should be doing better than 17 or 18 MPG. I believe the EPA sticker is 21 mpg highway, not 22?

Anyway, we get low 20s on highway driving (2 adults + appx 400 lbs gear) @ 75-77mph in our 2002 EX.
    Sedona was not competitive in terms of minivan innovations when it arrived for the 2002 model year. But I say it more like 2-4 years behind, not a decade. Foldaway 3rd row seats and power rear liftgates haven't been around all that long.

Plus, Sedona offered some more general vehicle features, not really specific to minivans, that many other minivans weren't offering at all: moonroof, power front passenger seat, etc etc.

When are we gonna get more information about the 2006 Sedona?
    The current van is 1 generation behind, 2 if you compare to Odyssey.

But they could pretty much catch up if they take the update seriously, unlike what GM did with its vans.

-juice
    GM van update? What update? GM has 'all-new' crossover sport vans. I mean, look at those front ends! They must be all-new vehicles from the ground up, right? Gimme a break. I do give them credit for disguising well a nearly 10 year-old model.
  • a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Member Posts: 518
    Looking at the spy pics, the first thing I noticed was that this van has six-lug wheels. That's a first for a minivan, if you don't count the Astro. I wonder how much this thing's going to weigh? You don't add lugs for no reason. If the new van is another gas hog like the current one, they are going to have a tough time convincing people to buy it over a Sienna...or a Suburban!

-Andrew L
    I think people will be watching curb weight closely. The old one was heavy for a smallish van.

-juice
  • nornenorne Member Posts: 136
    we will soon out what the 2006 model will be like at the chicago autoshow.
  • nextmoonnextmoon Member Posts: 386
    Here's a brief article and a sketch of the new Sedona: http://www.theautochannel.com/F/news/2005/02/03/021732.html
    Link fails?
    If this is what the '06 Sedona is gonna look like.....I'm trading my '04 in on one!

http://www.theautochannel.com/N/F/news/2005/02/03/021732.1-lg.jpg

Craig
  • nornenorne Member Posts: 136
    From the artists rendering it looks more like a crossover suv like Chrysler Pacifica than a traditional minivan.
  • seabrook99300mseabrook99300m Member Posts: 13
    I wish they'd had one at Houston Auto Show a few days ago. What I DON'T like about the sketch is that slot in the body for the sliding door (like the Odyssey). Why wouldn't they leave it hidden as a track at the bottom of the window, like on the current Sedona, Sienna and T&C? While overall I like the sketch, I hope this 'slot' is not on the real deal.
  • xvrmxvrm Member Posts: 10
    The sliding door slot on the '06 is no longer hidden ... it's on the real deal ... and, for me, it's the real deal breaker. Yuk!

Keeping my '04 for a while, I guess.

Robert
    Indeed, that sketch looks very sharp. Keep in mind they're always more aggressive looking than the real thing.

I prefer hidden door tracks, too, but even the new Ody doesn't have that.

-juice
    Yeah - and it's the only thing I DETEST on the new Ody. Honda has always had the 'take a chainsaw to cut a slot in the body look'.

Toyota finallyn removed this ugly slot, when they redesigned the Sienna in 2003.

Chrysler was the first to get this right on the 1996 minivan redesign.

Ford follow suit back in 1999, getting rid of the body slot on the second generation Windstar.

Kia will be the first auto manufacturer to UNHIDE the door track after having it right the first time. For the life of me, I don't understand why they messed this up....

Looks like I may wait until 2007 to replace my wife's '97 Dodge GC. Thought the new Sedona would be a contender...now might wait to see the upcoming Mazda MPV and redesigned Chrysler minivans.
    I agree except for one minor point - Toyota actually did it first, with the Previa. That had a black stripe around the entire back but it did hide the track right below the window.

Chyrsler only perfected it.

-juice
    I forgot about the Previa. So like, Kia, Toyota 'unhid' the sliding door track, before reversing course with the newest gen Sienna.

I will be interested in seeing the real photos from the Chicago Autoshow in a couple of days.
  • slovanslovan Member Posts: 10
    go to link and read all news and see pics!

http://www.newswire1.net/NW2005/C_KIA_CA/KIA3001253_021005/index.- html

(www.chicagoautoshow.com)
  • xvrmxvrm Member Posts: 10
    Chicago Auto Show photos and text available now at www.autoweek.com. Bigger engine, fold down 3rd row seats, roll down windows on sliding doors (available with power; also powered lift gate.) If they hold prices, they're gonna eat SOMEBODY's lunch.

Robt.

'04 Sedona LX
    Honda and Toyota owners will still Kia Bash even with a van just as good or maybe better.

The question for me now is will I trade my '04 on the '06??

Wonder how my dealer will treat me.

Craig

'04 Sedona EX
    Just reading that newswir1e.net link, and there's a lot to like about the 2006 Sedona.

It sounds like Kia has pretty much caught up completely with the competition in terms of features, as of the 2006 model year. Roll-down 2nd row windows, available power liftgate, available power sliding doors, power adjustable pedals, DVD entertainment system available heated front seats, MP3 compatibility on Sedona EX, Homelink on EX, available backup warning system, etc.

The interior pic shows that things are even more upscale than the 2002-05 Sedona, which is saying something.

Tons of safety equipment, all of these standard: 4-channel ABS with EBD, front seat front and side airbags with head curtain airbag for all 3 rows, front seat occupant sensors for airbag deployment, active front head restraints, tire pressure monitoring system. ESP and traction control are optional. That's a pretty impressive safety feature lineup.

The engine - 3.8L DOHC 24V V6 - will be the largest high-tech minivan engine out there. 240+ HP and 250 ft-lb will be very competitive with the class leaders.

4 wheel disc brakes and 16" or 17" wheels instead of the current disc/drum and 15" wheel setup are nice, and needed, improvements.

Bottom line: the list of reasons why people don't choose Sedona as their minivan has shrunk considerably.