Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sedona

Comments

• philliplcphilliplc Member Posts: 136
    check today's oregonian - tonkin has one LX for $19995 (plus an additional $2000 owner loyalty rebate is available - wow.) first listed price i've seen.
  • estoesto Member Posts: 136
    Yup, saw that. Last week's Saturday Oregonian had 2 at that price. The MSRP suggests these are LX models with no additional options/accessories.
  • uga91uga91 Member Posts: 1,065
    Kia just announced they are building a new $1.2 billion manufacturing facility near West Point, GA. Situated about 60 miles south of Atlanta on the Alabama line, the facility will be about half way between Hartsfield Airport in Atlanta and the Hyundai facility in Montgomery, AL. They will have two assembly lines and an engine assembly line. It is to being in 2009.

Looks like Kia is going to aggressively persue the North American market. This is good for everyone.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Saw that news also, and I agree that it is good news.

-juice
  • pugnelpugnel Member Posts: 7
    Please forgive me if this is posted in the wrong spot,I'm new to the forum.

We went to the car lot on Saturday after doing alot of research on-line and test drove the new Kia Sedona and just loved it! It was the smoothest, quietest ride I have ever taken! Well we decided to go ahead and make the purchase, especially since baby #3 is due in 3 months and we've been researching mini-vans for 8 months now. Anyway, well they didn't have the colors (exterior or interior) that we wanted so they did a dealer search and found one near by and said we could pick it up on monday and let us drive home the brand new one that we test drove for the weekend! Well on Monday evening after my husband gets home from the office we go and pick up the van and he drives it home and says he thought it drove the same as the other one, I thought that the passengers seat didn't ride that smoothly, but thought it could've been the bad wind and the road. Well I wake up tuesday morning and drive my oldest son to school and it just drove awful! It has a very sluggish gear change, where you can acutally "feel" it change gears and the ride isn't smooth at all! I'm very disappointed in this new car, my question is, is this normal to have such a difference in the same car? I guess that is a silly question since they are totally seperate machines, also is there anything we can do about it? I'm sure the dealership will say oh that's normal. My dh is away at a business meeting and won't be back home till late tonight. (SIGH)
    thank you in advance!
    Vicky
    Vicky,

Your new van is the new style--or your tester for the weekend was the new style and you bought the old style?

Basically, you bought a van without driving it first and you learned first hand that you should never do that. Yes, each vehicle is it's own "machine" and each can drive differently. If you've signed the papers, then it's your to keep.
    Yes, it's the new 2006 model and the loaner over the weekend was also the 2006. We had some bad storms the other day when we picked up the car, it was after my husband got off of work that night and it was pouring the rain and we have two small kids and their carseats to worry about. No excuses really I suppose, I just never in a million years dreamed we would have this problem with a new vehicle. I drove it up a very big hill today and it would barely go! My little 4-cylinder cavalier had 10 times the power this big van has, how depressing is that!
    Vicky
  • efaefa Member Posts: 1
    Did you call your dealer and as them to look at the vehicle for you? Don't get to worked up about it, yet. Its probably a minor adjustment and if your dealer handles it right should not diminish the good experiences you will have with your new van. Ask your dealer for a loaner car until they take care of the problem. Remember that we are dealing with a very advanced and finely tuned machine and one bad sensor could cause what you are feeling. Don't wait to get it checked, and remember- don't get worked too worked up. These are great vehicles and I'm confident it will be an easy fix.
    Yes I called the dealer and she said to bring it on on MOnday and they would give me a loaner, but last night the airbag warning light came on and didn't leave, it was on for 15 min and then went off for 10 and then came back on and stayed on for hours! It was on today, so that is even more stress especially since that is the main reason we bought a 2006 was b/c of the safety of the airbags.
    Vicky
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    They may not have completed the PDI, pre-delivery inspection, that is.

They have to air down the tires, that would explain the stiff ride. They are delivered with high air pressure so the tires don't flat-spot.

The tranny is probably adaptive and should improve as it learns your driving style.

Finally, yours is still in the break-in period, take it easy on the throttle, brakes, and basically overall until you hit 1000 miles. It should start to feel like that other van in no time.

Good luck.

-juice
    We brought it up there Thursday night, they found us a loaner vehicle, which was nice, but would've been even nicer not to have a brand new vehicle in the shop! Anyway they were supposed to call me and I had to call on two seperate occasions on Friday to see what was going on. I spoke each time to the service manager and he seemed like he didn't know anything that was going on! He told me the first time that they had just brought it back into the shop and will look at it and call me back, well after 4 hours I had to call back before they closed and he avoided my questions and said that it would be next week before we could pick it up and said at least we have a rental car, he knows it's not a brand new minivan, but at least we have a car. I said actually the loaner car drives better than the minivan! I asked if they just have been too busy to even look at my minivan, or have they not found anything wrong with it. He said uh, I, uh, I don't think they've found anything wrong with it. I then asked if we could have the valuguard(protection plan) thing done on MOnday, he put me on hold and came back and said yes that will be fine. I asked if we could pick it up MOnday night before they closed the dealership, he said no, it depends on all the stuff they have to fix, and before he told me they didn't find anything. I doubt they're going to spend 2 days looking over a car for problems! it just really frustrated me! This was the service manager and he acted like a complete goober! I thought he would be the one person that would be required to know everything, and he is the one they made me talk to!
    Oh, a post to the previous poster, I pray that it is b/c they did'nt do the inspection thing. The silver van that they loaned us last weekend was also a new one with only 100 miles on it and it was the best ride I've ever had!!
    Vicky
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Trade for the silver one. :)
    if only it were that easy, do dealerships even do that?
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    They could do that. If they tell you there is nothing wrong, then ask them to put their money where their mouth is and trade. They should have similar mileage from what I gather, and it will get you out of their hair. No loss to them really.

Having said that, they still may balk for whatever reason.
  • leefarmleefarm Member Posts: 14
    well well well... we finally got our new 2006 sedona ex ,power,luxury,premium entertainment package,today :shades: :D:) . our final price was 28500 .with a 2000 $ loyalty rebate so 26500 was what we dealed to . with financeing registration , tax ,everything was 29000. and wow its got a Great ride. soo smooth quiet stable handles like a car way smaller than a big van . and the engine was very powerful , i had to keep checking the speedometer to stay under 80. and 30 mph cross winds were hardly noticeable.,,,, IMO. ;) i have to say the sedona was much more fun and pleasing to drive than to oddysey
  • geogeo Member Posts: 23
    Was the airbag light the "passenger off" warning? The seat sensor will not tell advanced system that a passenger is present unless they are centered in the seat and near adult in size. You can stop engine and restart to reset. Have not had this situation with new van yet but have in our 2005 Spectra.
    Lots of passengers have been killed by airbags which are not sensitive to size/position of occupant, mostly children or adults in weird positions. Touching story of 8 y.o. girl adjusting radio in 5 mph bump with Chrysler van on car safety video I show my physics class. George.
  • harleygal1harleygal1 Member Posts: 1
    We've been researching the Sedona for a few months now. I've been reading all of your posts and they were very helpful, thank you! I've been dragging my feet trading in my 2001 Silverado for a minivan ;(. Our kids are grown so we bought the truck, now we are raising our 4 year old grandson and he's getting too big for the back seat of the truck! I wanted something that didn't really 'look' like the traditional minivan and I think this is it! One thing though, here in Portland, there's a commercial from one of the Kia dealers in Portland, on the radio, talking about buying a brand new Sedona (doesn't mention which year) and getting a used Kia for free! Never any fast talking at the end of the commercial with any restrictions, so I called them. I was met with a snotty and rude salesperson that told me these were only 2005 and they were trying to 'get rid' of them. I told him we would come in today and buy the 2006 if he would honor the offer in the commercial, he got so nasty, he said he would certainly give me a used Rio, but would add the price to my 2006 Sedona loan! Well, needless to say, he hung up on me before I could speak to a manager! They are certainly out of the running as one of the dealers we were considering! Isn't there some kind of law??? :P :confuse:
    No, it wasn't the passenger off warning light, it was the main airbag warning light next to the spedometer and tachometer(I think that's what it's called). They said they re-set it and so far(we've had it back a week) it hasn't come back on, so hopefully that is all it needed. It is still a bumpy ride, my husband adjusted the tire pressure since it was up way to high and it seems to ride a little better, just when you drive it it vibrates and bumps your feet and legs like crazy, definately not a smooth ride everyone rated it to be!
    vicky
    Possibilities: 1)Differences in tires / wheels, maybe a rougher ride owing to thinner tires (17"), reviews mention this. 2) tires out of round or tread separation, if new that might be from mis-manufacture. 3)ground thawing leaves lots of frost boils locally and makes ride terrible during spring in some spots, though probably not in Death Valley.

Our new van has the 17" tires but does not seem too rough, I changed from the 15" to 16" low profile tires on my Spectra EX and noticed a slightly stiffer/rougher ride. George.
  • ski2xsski2xs Member Posts: 3
    Harleygal1,

I understand you frustration. Advertisements are meant to peak the consumers interest, so they contact the business. You must have run into a Salesperson who did not want to take the time to serve your needs. I am sure that there are specifics available on any advertisements; in this case dealer stock numbers etc, to identify what cars qualifies for their specials.

I too have been researching a new car for my family, I have found that finding a professional sales person is the key to finding the right deal. Buying anything is all about the relationship, not every sales person is right for every customer. I would consider going online most Internet sales are through managers. They will provide you all the details.

I would consider listening to the ad again and compare the details with what your needs are.
  • hrngffcrhrngffcr Member Posts: 90
    When I bought my last car I found the best way to buy--I dealt only with the fleet managers at the various dealerships. You have to do your research and homework and know exactly what you want (not hard these days with the internet), and then you fax the fleet managers (you do not need to be a commercial or fleet buyer to deal with the fleet manager) a letter telling them that you're ready to buy and what you want, and that you will buy from the lowest priced dealer. Fleet managers don't operate on a commission, just how many cars they move. It's the only way to buy.
  • carfaxcarfax Member Posts: 43
    There is a law, but they are not enforced because of the costs and time. There is such a fine line in commercials that manufactures have had their own way for many years. The internet has made a big difference with forums like this and people stating their likes and dislikes to a network bigger then just their family and fiends. I know some things have to be taken with a grain of salt on the internet, but there is a lot of good information to. So the best bet is to do your homework and go in with the information and tell them what you want or go to the next dealer. Sooner or later they will get the message that the old way doesn't work anymore. Just ask GM.. and FORD, because they are finding out the hard way. :)
  • sedownersedowner Member Posts: 5
    Just bought the base LX in Sunset Gold because it has every feature that I really need and all of my major wants... just look at the standard features list! EX version not worth extra $2000 (invoice difference) for me. I'll concede that the Odyssey and Sienna will probably be more reliable, but you can't beat Kia's warranty and road side assistance. I like Kia's business model. Offer very competitive vehicles, under price the competition, and offer a better warranty to assure customers since Kia is a relatively new entrant into automobile market. I was a bit wary of buying a first model year, but the warranty makes me feel better. Plus vehicles have become more and more reliable industry wide nowadays.
  • kwonc71kwonc71 Member Posts: 245
    Just got EX with power sliding and lift gate for $21,500. I could save another $2,000 if I still had 03 Sedona. I trade in turtle MDX that slow, sucks gas, and at 52,000 miles no more warranty either. I saved $6,000 from MSRP. Just take a look at Friday's news paper ADs. You will find LX starts at $19,950, and EX at 21,950. I even saved $1,000 from those price because mine came with power options. 3.8L engine rocks and handling is solid. Oddienna makers will have major pains from Kia. Same vans for $5,000 to $8,000 less. Are we glad or what?
  • agnercagnerc Member Posts: 4
    Holy Crap, how in the world did you find an EX for 21,950, I mean that cheaper than the MSRP for the LX, wow. So if I have not bought yet, I should look in the paper this weekend and I just might find a deal?

Chris
  • eswift17eswift17 Member Posts: 2
    We just bought a 2006 EX and it is a big and wonderful upgrade from our 2002 Ex. The estimated MPG is 18 city and 25 highway. Our Ex has about 1100 miles and has not yet reached those numbers. We have averaged about 15 city and 20 highway. Has anyone reached the estimated MPG with there Ex?
    hi well we bought our 06 sedona a couple of weeks ago and put 2110 miles on it . we are averaging 27 mpg in rural roads at around 60mph but on the freeway at 80 mph we are getting an avarage of 23...trying to change my habit of quick starts.. and laying patches of rubber...........
  • eyashineyashin Member Posts: 2
    How do you like the van overall so-far?
    are you using premium? that's what the epa numbers are based on. also your mileage should improve a little with break-in.
    it looks like i can get an '06 LX (no options) right now for no more than $17k with 3.9% Kia financing here in oregon (advertised for $19990 - $2k owner loyalty - $1k financing bonus cash). i will probably go drive one this weekend.
    we really like the van so far . everything has been what we expected or better . no rattles .. at 2500 miles now. time for the first oil change.. we are getting more miles to the tank everytime we fill up so thats good. :) oh and our mud guards and bug guard is at the dealer so we have to go and get it installed this monday :P we got it all at dealer priceing
  • eswift17eswift17 Member Posts: 2
    We really like the van. Like I mentioned we had an 02 ex and were ready to throw it into the Ohio River. The new 06 is a dramatic improvement and the dealer gave us a above average trade and basically invoice for the van, so we couldn't justify spending $4000 to $6000 more for the Odyessy. It has more space, power, features than before. In addition, it has a smooth ride. The sportamatic shift feature is cool, coming from a guys perspective. I am still a little leary on the MPG. The new Sedona has moved closer to the Odyessy. Now that remains to be seen is the quality and reliability.
    Kia has published fixes for two possible problems with our Sedona Vans. Info follows:

KT2006040701 Language English
    Published 4/7/2006 Area N. America
    Model Sedona(2006)
    Gr./Sys./Comp Suspension System / Front Suspension System / Front Strut Assembly
    Symptom SSN001 - Noise
    SS1000 - poor or rough ride
    Subject 2006 MY Sedona Upper Strut Spring Seat Adjustment Procedure

KIA Motors has identified vehicles that were built between (10/10/2005-04/10/2006) exhibiting a pulling / drift concern while driving. Improper alignment of the upper spring seat plate can cause noise concerns and drift/pull concerns on some vehicles. Confirm that the vehicles tire condition, tire pressure and wheel alignment has been checked and are within specification before proceeding with this repair procedure. To correct these concerns, the upper spring seat plate may have to be repositioned.

Other t.s.b.: A few vehicles have had back lift gate leaks, look at the sealant on body seam in upper passenger side corner, if gap present anywhere needs more sealing compound or water will accumulate in well behind 3rd seat.

My van seems fine with respect to both of these but I will be watching front tires. Suppose the rough ride would come from eventual uneven wear of tires?

Question .....I have regards location peg for front mats. My van does not have the pegs although the mats have the holes for them. My Spectra has both holes and pegs. Do any of you have the pegs? I wonder if mine were not installed by the dealer during prep. A notice went out to dealers to remember to put them in the Spectras. Thanks in advance.

Have just over 1K on the van and enjoying driving and features!

George in Wisconsin.
    well we are at the 3000 mile mark on our 3rd week.we don't have the drift concern and our van has the pegs and it snaps in to place . oh and which body seal is that talking about? the door seal ? i noticed that when its raining and i open the rear hatch, the passenger side or the door ,water drips from the door and splashes into the car....but i noticed that on the toyota or honda too i cant remember which...
  • plee059plee059 Member Posts: 2
    2006 EX. Mat pegs not installed. No handling problems. Getting 16MPG in city driving. Have not taken out of town trip yet.

We also have 1999 Venture. Kia handles better and has significantly better acceleration.

Phillip
    Leak shown in picture on Kia tech site shows an actual gap between body panels which meet in the upper passenger gate corner. George.
  • dbeubanksdbeubanks Member Posts: 1
    Well to answer your question we bout the 2006 EX FULLY loaded last weekend. We my wife and I love it. It is awesome. Only one problem so far and that is, when on a downhill decline if we use the passenger side door when it is fully open it will close on it's own. You can tell the power is not active to it. It seems like it is not locking into the open position like the other door. Having two little girls that is a huge problem for me. I am worried about their head or finger getting caught.
    Now at 2K miles, weather is warmer and van a little more broken in, mileage has gone up to about 25 mpg on road. No problems so far and drives like a dream. Hard to imagine a better compromise between handling and ride, comfort and utility, economy and performance, value and cost. Big step up from the Chrysler Corp. vans we had, but in fairness they were not at the same trim level. George in Wisconsin.
    what is the kia tech sites address?
    From Kia.com go to "Kia Owners" then "Service Information" which gets you to sign in at: http://www.kiatechinfo.com/index.asp

I had signed up after buying a 2003 Rio new, site was closed for awhile but seems like you can join again. If you have trouble getting in email me. George.
  • sambojoho1sambojoho1 Member Posts: 10
    Great news for Sedona owners!

http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr041606.html
  • golddog1golddog1 Member Posts: 20
    Could you please post the interior dimensions in between the wheel wells. For example, my Sienna has about 47 inches between the wells in back. We show dogs and would realistically love to have 48 inches across to fit two 24 inch crates side by side in back. Thank you in advance for your measurements.
    Just measured and have almost 49 inches between wells. Figures as my Caravans could take 4 x 8' sheets and this van is just a little wider in the garage. George.
  • es350es350 Member Posts: 2
    The IIHS said the Kia Sedona minivan earned the first "top safety pick" grade the group gave a minivan. Sedona also earned five stars in NHTSA.
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    Thanks for the link; I just browsed the article. That's a huge win for Kia. I expect them to push this point hard in their future advertising. Wonder how the Ody/Sienna owners will try to poo-poo or spin the news that their vans aren't as good as Sedona in at least 1 way, as determined by an independent testing organization...
    Hi Harleygal1,

I know you're disappointed, but the dealer did nothing wrong. The ad said to buy a "Brand new Sedona" and a brand new 2005 model is what they offered at that price. All dealers call last year's closeouts "brand new" in the ads so you will think they are giving away 2006 models for next to nothing, only to find out they are 2005 model closeouts. The ad was against no law because they advertised "brand new Sedonas" and not "2006 Sedonas."
    Let me start out as saying that: 1) I am not in the market for a mini van; and, 2) I am a former Kia and Hyundai owner and consider myself to be pro-Kia.

I got an email from Kia saying that if I test drive a 2006 Sedona they will send me a $25 gift card. So, off I went. Pros: Its appearance--It's a very good looking van. Its size--wonderful amount of room. Safety--standard ABS, ESC, side curtain airbags and ratings from the IIHS that are off the charts. Power--just touch the gas and the van goes with no hesitation. Comfort--seats are very comfortable and the ride is smooth with almost no engine noise. Storage--folding split rear bench and tons of cupholders and storage bins.

In a word: impressive. Kia did their homework and it shows.

Would I buy one? No. At 6'2" I could not fit behind the wheel. The driver's seat would not go back far enough and the dead pedal got in the way too much for my comfort. I'm not even that tall, I don't know how anyone who is tall would fit. There was more wind noise than I would have liked, but not much more than other vans I have driven. I'm sure someone will respond that they are 6'5" and they have more room in the Sedona than any other vehicle they have ever driven--and that's great to hear. But, I never could get comfortable and there are too many van choices on the market to buy one that does not fit.

Good luck to all!
  • andrewrandrewr Member Posts: 4
    I took the 2006 Sedona EX Model out for a test drive today and I absolutely loved it! It boasts a very nice ride and more features and options than I could have imagined.

The problem is when I am driving the seat must be all the way back to be comfortable - but for my wife, who is approx the same height as I, but with longer legs - finds the driver side too crowded for leg room and not at all comfortable.

Has anyone else had issues with this besides myself and uga91 (post # 506)?

Does the 2007 Hyundai Entourage (basically the same van) address this problem?

Thanks to everyone who has posted here! Lots of good reading and info. ;)
    Thanks for the post. Upon reflection, I was wondering if there was something jamming the track for the driver's seat as I was sure Kia would not go to so much effort to build such a nice van but not allow enough leg room for the American market. I guess not. You just can't buy a van you can't drive comfortably. I've driven Chryslers, Hondas, Toyotas, and the Pontiac and Saturn versions of the same GM van--and none had the short leg room issue.
  • andrewrandrewr Member Posts: 4
    Yes, me too. I also drove the Pontiac Montana SV6 the same day and I had no problems with leg room.

The Sedona I drove had power seats. I didn't look to see if anything was jamming the track, but I did move the seat back and forth a few times and the "all the way back" postion did not change.