Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sedona

Comments

• philliplcphilliplc Member Posts: 136
    i drove an 06 today too, and that was also my only complaint, although it's a rather critical one. i'm just 6'0 and i also didn't feel there was enough leg room because the driver seat didn't go back far enough. i also found that funky dead pedal thing (left foot rest) a huge annoyance, cutting left leg room by several inches. anyone know if that thing is removable for taller drivers?

i also sat in a new optima (and an 06 sonata) and both felt like they had way more leg room than the 06 sedona.
  • geogeo Member Posts: 23
    I own a 2006 EX. It has memory seats that adjust the pedals and mirrors. I am 5'11" and find the seats barely adjust enough if the pedals are all the way in. If you are 6'2" and have long legs the seats probably could use a few inches more travel to the rear. I bought the van for my wife because of unsafe seating on our Grand Caravan. In order to be comfortable in the GC she had to move up within less than 10" of the wheel(and airbag). In the Kia she is well back from the airbag. George in Wisconsin
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    I own a 2006 EX. It has memory seats that adjust the pedals and mirrors. I am 5'11" and find the seats barely adjust enough if the pedals are all the way in. If you are 6'2" and have long legs the seats probably could use a few inches more travel to the rear. I bought the van for my wife because of unsafe seating on our Grand Caravan. In order to be comfortable in the GC she had to move up within less than 10" of the wheel(and airbag). In the Kia she is well back from the airbag. George in Wisconsin "

I guess your wife didn't test drive the GC? FYI - the DC vans have power pedals as cheap single options or bundled options in all their vans. They work great for us (me 6'0, wife 5'1)
  • plee059plee059 Member Posts: 2
    I am 5'10" and with some manuvering of the power seat(mainly raising the front and tilting the back) am able to sit in a fairly comfortable posture. It is a somewhat tighter fit than our old Venture. Kia should be able to move the seat tracks back an inch or so on future models without too much trouble. I don't think the current seating would impact sales significantly as 75% of the American males are under 5'11'' in height and the majority of minivan drivers are female.
  • uga91uga91 Member Posts: 1,065
    "I don't think the current seating would impact sales significantly as 75% of the American males are under 5'11'' in height and the majority of minivan drivers are female."

I was not aware of the height fact--thanks for the tidbit. Where did you find the one about the mini van driver demographics? I drove one for 3 years myself. Even if my wife were the primary driver of the van, I would be the driver on trips and occasional errands, so I would not buy a van I could not fit into.

Again, I am not bashing the Sedona. It's a good looking van full of good features and apparently very safe. I hope Kia sells 200,000 of them a year. I'm glad you enjoy yours!
  • hrngffcrhrngffcr Member Posts: 90
    Being 6'4", leg room and head room are a major concern for me, although head room is usually more of an issue as I have a taller torso. So, after reading the complaints about leg room, I went to the major minivan manufacturers' websites to do a comparison of leg room. Now they may measure from different places, but based on their specifications and dimensions, the Sedona front leg room is about mid to high-range:

Sienna 42.9
    Sedona 41.7
    Quest 41.7
    Odyssey 40.8
    Grand Caravan 40.6

Head room in the Sedona is also very good. Front headroom, without sunroof:

Sienna 42.0
    Quest 42.0
    Sedona 41.0
    Odyssey 40.9
    Not sure on the Grand Caravan, although head room with sunroof is 39.6

The Sienna is obviously best on leg and head room but, IMO, they are just too proud of their vehicles. You can get very good leg and head room for thousands less with the Kia and Hyundai.
  • standepuystandepuy Member Posts: 23
    I drove a 2006 Sedona and didn't give any thought to not having enough leg room.
    I think it was because of the angle I had the seat bottom to the floor. I probably had the front of the seat raised up (as opposed to the rear) so there is more support under the thighs which means your legs are not going to be straight (your knees will be slightly up and your legs not as long as if extended straight).
    This to me is comfortable and I can be slightly closer to the steering wheel so that I'm not driving "straight armed" but not too close to get a good whack in case the air bag went off.
    I adjusted the seat in my 93 Mazda 929 tonight to see what difference it made (a flat seat angle). My legs were ALMOST straight even with the seat adjusted all the way back and I'm 5'11" with a 30" pant length (short legged).
    Adjusting the back of the seat makes a difference as well
    which affects how far you are from the steering wheel and how much head room you have (especially in cars that are much lower than a van).
    I'm sure most of you are just as picky as I am regarding the seat position. :)
  • ne03sedonane03sedona Member Posts: 15
    I don't think that the lack of legroom is limited to just the new 06 Sedona. I have the 03, and being 5-8 or so male, never gave it a thought. UNTIL one of my co-workers was injured in a motorcycle accident. She ended up with a back brace and a whole leg cast. She lived right by me and was able to come to work for a few hours a day after much recovery, so I offered my services as I was a neighbor with a HUGE van right? NO way. This woman is quite tall, about my height, and with one leg in a cast was totally impossible to fit in the front passenger seat. Sit her in the middle captains chairs? NOT. not with a casted leg. I had to remove the captain chair and she sat in row 3 just fine. Of course I realize that this case may never happen to most, but I thought I was helping, when infact even a small sedan she could have scooched across the back seat and been comfortable (enough). I also remember getting under the front pass. seat after the first attempt to see if I could find out WHY she coundn't fit, thought the seat must be stuck or something. Anyway, thats my 2 cents. I think it's a shame that people may get locked out of a vehicle just because they are too tall, or perhaps handicapped.
  • terk819terk819 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 sedona and love it, I am 6'3" and don't have a problem, the seat in the LX goes up and down giving me room.
    Don't the 2006 seats have the crank on the side? I was going to look at them this weekend.
    Thanks
    terk819
  • aaaedgarpoeaaaedgarpoe Member Posts: 107
    See:

http://www.informedforlife.org/

And a way lot cheaper than the Acura RL.
  • andrewrandrewr Member Posts: 4
    I drove the 2006 Sedona EX again yesterday and I still love it! Now that I am ready to buy the dealer tells me that there is not a lot of mark up on the invoice price and doesn't have much room to budge as far as price is concerned. Did anyone have much success negotiating a "fair" price?

I am in Canada and was also wondering what the dealer interest rates will be for next month.

Thanks to all and keep the posts coming on this great site.
  • darianbarnamedarianbarname Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2006 EX with the power package and luxury package. If you go to www.carsdirect.com, they will give you a "target" price for the vehicle based on where you live. Never pay MSRP. I used that information with the 3.9% 60 month special that ends 5/1/06 and ended up paying even less than the target price for my area. In fact, with tax, title, registration, I was still around $2000 UNDER INVOICE. Not sure how it would work in Canada, but I am VERY satisfied in Iowa.
  • huffkiamomhuffkiamom Member Posts: 5
    darianbarname,

If you don't mind my asking, where did you purchase your 06 Sedona? We own an 02 and are thinking of upgrading this fall. We live in central Iowa and are hoping to find a good deal.
    Thanks so much!
  • putercentsputercents Member Posts: 3
    I have purchased a 2006 sedona ex with the luxury package in Ontario. Thanks to all for your posts and i feel I picked the best van for me and my family. One interesting quirk of the sedona van is the oil filter. Kia uses a remote oil filter that is a cartridge with two O rings to seal the filter in the housing. If the lower O ring is not seated properly engine damage may/will result (kia's language). I do not know of any other vehicle that has a cartridge for an oil filter, so when the 17 year old lube tech changes your oil, he will be dealing with an oil filter that is non standard, and requires mechanical knowledge to prevent leakage/engine damage. The cartridges are obviously only available at a kia dealership and are very pricey.
  • averigejoeaverigejoe Member Posts: 559
    If you don't mind, what was the bottom line MSRP on your van window sticker? Were there any charges additional to that for dealer installed items like window tint or pinstripes or wax job or undercoating or scotchguard?
    What was you purchase price BEFORE adding sales tax and government license taxes?
    And what was the invoice price for your van? Was it about 85% to 90% of the MSRP? How did you determine the invoice price?
    What rebates or incentives were included to arrive at your purchase price?
    Did you have a trade-in? If so, what year/make/model/mileage/condition was it? How much was allowed for your trade-in?
    The numbers would make your post more meaningful to us.
    Thanks.
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    andrew, I don't know if you've seen it, but there's a discussion here about Sedona buying experiences, and the folks there will probably have a lot of input for you:

Kia Sedona: Prices Paid & Buying Experience

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• xlchampsxlchamps Member Posts: 1
    I got a 06 Sedona EX with power and luxury packages in March. The MSRP was $29,665. I paid $27,515 before taxes, license and trade-in. Edmunds said my trade-in was worth $4,700, and they gave me $5,500. The initial offer was $1,500 off the Sedona, so they either allowed $650 more for my trade-in or had lowered their profit margin.
    I was satisfied with the deal, and it seems typical. Although I would have liked the $2,000 owner's loyalty.
  • new4kathynew4kathy Member Posts: 2
    I just test drove a sedona 06 luxury package van last night and the first thing i noticed and said to the sales- man is that it felt like the wheels were not balanced or something was vibrating the steering wheel. he said maybe that is where the tires get a flat spot from sitting on the lot for a while. he said watch it should go away after about a mile or 2. and it did ease up a bunch. never did have that happen before but i guess it could, couldn't it? or do you think it was that problem you mentioned.
    new4kathy, Sorry, didn't notice yours was a question directed at me.

Old time tires would do that at 20-30 below winter temps but that had better not be a problem in a new van. I WOULD suspect the problem in the Kia notice. George
    There is a notice out to check 2006 models for an improper installation of upper strut mounts which may cause a problem similar to what you describe. Have dealer check out his tech reports from Kia! I found it on the owners tech section linked from the Kia.com site. George in Wisconsin.
  • goldwindgoldwind Member Posts: 1
    Hi Kathy: I have a 2005 Sedona EXL and took it to Mexico for winter and back. Only problem recent is the DTE stopped working. However, to your point, I also test drove a new model (happened to be a Magentis as second Kia vehicle) and experienced somewhat the same. However, while tires can get "flat" spot if left sitting long time, it is usually not all that noticeable. I spoke with the Service Manager and determined that they had not yet done the PDI on the car thus need to balance a tire, etc. was not yet checked into. I am actually thinking of moving up to a 2006 for some of the features (fold in rear seats, etc) as totally pleased with performance through USA and on some "interesting" roads in Mexico. I am Canadian, and rated mileage is 28 MPG (Imperial Gallon) and I was obtaining 31.96. Part is drive by the tachometer and not the speedometer. It's one own business if they want to waste money for a little time saving - the grave will wait so why hurry!!!

Keith
  • hrngffcrhrngffcr Member Posts: 90
    Had the chance to test drive the new Sedona yesterday (EX with power and luxury packages but no DVD player--entertainment package) for about two hours, complete with wife, and kids in their car seats.

It is everything all of the other posters have said. Handles very car-like with good turning radius, good power, quiet engine except on hard acceleration, quiet cabin, terrific front headroom (I'm 6'4" with taller upper torso), acceptable leg room for me (but I can see how some might feel a little cramped), great features and layout of control knobs and buttons. No suprises that changed my opinion that either the Sedona or the Entourage will be our next vehicle purchase.
  • new4kathynew4kathy Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for the reply, I bought the 2006 EX sedona, with the power package, I wanted the luxury package but could not afford it at this time...I hate that. but the reason was for the leather interior for kid proof spills and such. then they offered the xylon(sp?) coating in and out for a 5 yr warranty on stains tears etc. so i thought okay clothe with be okay. I have a loaner EX base model until the one I want gets here so far love it. and the fold down seats in 3rd row are great. very easy to work with. kids are loving a NEW vehicle can't wipe the smiles off their faces. will let you know about mileage. just drove this 50 mile in town and reading is 16.6mpg so not great but not awful. oh yah, nearly went to the grave last year and learned not to hurry anymore. thank you.
    kathy
  • dc_driverdc_driver Member Posts: 712
    Congrats on the van! Your gas mileage will improve as the car gets broken in (make sure you check your tire pressure, improperly inflated tires can definitely reduce MPG, and dealers are notorious for over inflating).

One more thing, you can always add after-market leather in the future. From what I remember with the 06 Sedona, after-market leather will most likely be nicer anyway.
  • rcntburgrcntburg Member Posts: 1
    Looking for pic of 06 sedona w/ rear spoiler. Anyone know of site or have own picture posted?
  • b9driverb9driver Member Posts: 118
    My Review of our new Kia Sedona 2006

Yes, you'll need to get past any stigma associated with the Kia name. Kia is climbing the ladder just like Honda and Audi did years ago and gaining respect as their cars improve. We checked out the Honda and Toyota entries and the Kia just seemed to do everything as well and in some cases better. The handling of the Kia is certainly up there with the Honda, perhaps a hair better. Power is excellent. This van is probably faster than it needs to be. I've read 0-60 reports of 7.1 and 7.3 seconds and even prior to break-in the van feels very quick. Build quality appears to be quite good with nice fit and finish.

Our fully loaded example has power sliding doors and a power rear hatch. If you have kids these come in really handy and are fun to show off as well. The doors will sense an obstruction and open if need be. They can also be operated manually. Locks prevent a child from opening them from inside.

Inside you get a full leather interior in gray or beige. Go with the gray as it will wear better. Front seats are 8 way and 4 way power. The driver's seat is a bit short on legroom for taller drivers. I'm 6.3 and would like another inch or two. There's no reason for a seat to be short on legroom on a large van. Passenger and rear seats have a LOT of room. Even the split bench fully aft is pretty good and the middle seats will also slide forward making this true 7 passenger vehicle. Make no mistake about it; this is a pretty luxurious interior by any standard. We found the Honda a bit more stark, but the Odyssey and Sienna are equally plush when fully loaded.

The rear seats tuck away into a storage well, but the procedure is a bit awkward and could use some refinement. Overall it works okay. When the seats are out the well is a great place combined with the cargo net, but some sort of retractable cover would really be nice to hide gear.

The loaded EX also comes with a killer Infinity stereo/DVD rear seat entertainment system. I know it's a cliche to refer to a sound system in a car as "killer" but you really need to hear the 13 speaker system in action to realize how much better it is than any other. The top of the line Honda and Toyota don't even come close. The flip down DVD screen is a mere 8 inches. I consider that size adequate, but others are larger. On the other hand, unlike the larger screens, the Kia's doesn't block as much of the rearview mirror so it's a better tradeoff for safety. The system also has IR remote control and IR fed headphones that work well and very comfortable. Popping in a copy of Star Wars III I was treated to true 7.1 Surround sound. The center channel is mounted in the middle of the dash, a bit away for the rear seats, but it works very well. The picture quality is typical for these systems, but many people will hear sound that is superior to their home systems. There is depth, clear highs and fairly impressive midrange that surprised me and I'm someone who's owned stereo systems costing 9K. It's that good. On the other hand, you can question the logic of such an elaborate system in a car. A lesser system like the ones from Toyota or Honda are still "just fine." But as long as Kia is giving them away, I'll keep mine!

On the port side of the cabin are jacks for plugging in a camcorder, or X-Box type game system. Amazingly Kia neglected a Ipod/Sat. radio jack up front and you'll need to correct that at your local stereo shop for aftermarket help. Also missing at this luxury level is integrated navigation/GPS, but expect that on the next year's model. Buy a Garmin I5 and you'll do just fine.

Unlike many other vans on the market, the large middle windows actually roll down! This is a very welcome feature to say the least. The rear windows also wing out with the press of a button. 2nd road passengers no longer have that bus window feeling.

The 3rd road is less comfortable than the 2nd of course. These are seats that fold down into the floor and the only seats to do so on board. Kia's research showed that most people never stowed or removed the second row, so they left those as fully comfortable chairs with armrests. The 3rd row, because it's stows in the floor, is inherently less comfortable, but they really aren't bad at all. 3rd row passengers get cup-holders, a small storage bin and the inputs for video game consoles.

Each row of seats has port and starboard AC/Heat vents and the second row has it's own dedicated controls for temp and fan speed. Shotgun gets dual AC/Heat controls so the driver and passenger don't compromise and heated seats with 5 way settings. Very nice.

There are really too many little extras in vans of this size and luxury level to list here. The fully loaded Kia Sedona for 2006 also gets memory seats/mirror/pedal, homelink controls for the garage, backup proximity sensor, power sunroof, 2 way adjustable headrests, fold away snack tray, and quite a bit more.

Back to Driving the Sedona....it is not quite like a car, but close enough that an hour or two of driving will have you pretty well acclimated. Acceleration is strong at almost all points of the powerband due to a healthy amount of torque. On the highway the ride is quiet and subdued. Wind noise is well controlled. I'm certain that the new Sedona is quieter than my Subaru Tribeca and that's quieter than a Lexus RX330. At cruising speeds above averages that most people would drive this van, the Sedona remains composed. Fast lane changes are not a problem, but steeper turns produce a bit more body roll than I'd like. There are moments when the Sedona will remind you that it's actually a 2 ton plus van and not a car. You must learn when those moments are likely to come up.

For the driver all of the controls are well laid out and we've come to expect this from most imports compared to the often terrible American made entries. Kia has essentially hit the nail on the head with the new Sedona for drivers, passengers and of course kids. When our two year old has a toy crisis, my wife can get to the 2nd row and take charge with ease. This is something our SUV could not do.

Parking the Sedona is something that will take practice if this is your first minivan. This is not a small van and the driver is well up front. Still, exhibit some confidence when you park and use the aft proximity sensor. When reversing it beeps faster and faster as you approach an obstacle. When it becomes a steady tone you're about 15 inches away. It works great.

Because I've not broken the engine in I can't report on the MPG yet.

If you have a small child, a fully loaded 2006 Sedona EX will make for a lot of smiles. I believe that the Honda and Toyota are also fine vans and you really can't go wrong with them either. I don't like ANY of the American entries or the Nissan Quest for whatever that's worth.

The warranty on the Sedona is 5 years overall and 10 for the engine/powertrain. That's good news so long as i
    Review Continued:

The warranty on the Sedona is 5 years overall and 10 for the engine/powertrain. That's good news so long as it doesn't have too many problems. Trips for dealer service are never any fun free or not. Only time will tell how well constructed Kia's first entry in maxed out minivan segment really is.

With Kia's current rebates and some aggressive shopping we got our fully loaded EX for $27'950. That included the 1000 rebate and a graduate rebate of 400 dollars as well. That's an amazing price when you look at a Sienna optioned out the same way which is around 5-6K more. Kia also threw in two years worth of free oil changes, free remote starter and a second remote for the DVD player. In a few months I'll update this and let folks know what "new car bugs" turned up (There are always a few) and how Kia service dealt with them here in NY. Cheers!
    Capt RB
  • fiberkidsfiberkids Member Posts: 1
    We just purchased a 2006 Sedona and love it. We are having trouble getting some extra keys cut. Apparently they need to be cut on a special machine to avoid problems with the ignition switch. Does anyone know how to get extra keys? We purchased from a new dealer & they don't have a key machine yet. Thanks for your help!!
    FiberKids
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    Great review. Not only is this one of the most thorough consumer reviews I've ever seen, but you were honest enough to include the cons along with the pros. Most new vehicle owners won't state the negatives, which leaves the reader wondering.

I'm sure Kia would be thrilled to hear a B9 Tribeca owner bought their new Sedona. You've gotta be the type of upscale customer they are targeting.
  • mechanic80mechanic80 Member Posts: 122
    If you purchase a key blank from your dealer, a well equiped locksmith should be able to duplicate it, These keys are used on the 04 KIA Amanti, so it's not new technology. The cutter, however IS awfully expensive for the dealer to buy.
    P.S. The key blank isn't particularly cheap, either.
  • chabadchabad Member Posts: 2
    I have the 2006 Sedona EX. Under the air conditioner controls and above the gear shift there is 2 switches. The one on the right has an icon of a windshield with what appears to be an electric current running horizontally. According to the manual it is a defroster for the windshield. When I use it I do not see anything happening. Anyone know how to use this switch.
    There is nothing to see. This is the windshield de-icer button.

RB
    2006 Sedona
  • chabadchabad Member Posts: 2
    OK, but when the the windshield is fogged up, it doesn't do anything to clear it up. How could it be a de-icer, I don't see any electrical line in the windshield. As far as I am concerned it does nothing.
  • ohiodadohiodad Member Posts: 25
    Is this something that Kia just started putting on Sedonas? I'm having trouble finding vans with these on the lot. I have a lot of dealers willing to add a DVD player in the back for 1100 but I don't think that is the same since this seems to come with much more than just the DVD player and headsets. Should I expect to see more of these on dealer's lots later in the year? Anyone know?
  • babyroobabyroo Member Posts: 1
    I was just offered this myself...none of the vans on the lot had the dvd package the person I spoke with said they could install a larger one with an 11 in. screen (he said the factory one was 8) for the same amount...

I'm still researching it... :confuse:
    We just bought a van with a DVD player and it's the stock system. I suggest getting that one because the smaller 8 inch screen won't cut off as much of the rear view mirror. The next best option would be headrest screens which are more flexible and don't restrict rearward visibility at all. I'm also not sure that an aftermarket unit will preverve the surround sound and 7.1 system.
    BTW, mine sounds terrific and I'm a long time audiophile.

Capt. RB
    NY
    OK, but when the the windshield is fogged up, it doesn't do anything to clear it up. How could it be a de-icer, I don't see any electrical line in the windshield. As far as I am concerned it does nothing. >>>

Usually these heat up the wiper blades so they can function better. At least that's how they work on the Subaru models. The switch will light up and that's all you'll see. A modest amount of heat to the blades is effective. I'm fairly certain that this is the operation on the Sedona as well.

Capt. RB
    NY
  • hadgadyahadgadya Member Posts: 2
    We are considering purchasing a 2006 Kia Sedona EX Luxury package within the next 10 days. Is there anyone in Canada who can assist me in what a fair purchase price would be for this vehicle as well as a fair trade in for my 2002 Land Rover Freelander. Is the stock radio included or is there a better audio system included with this model - How about the DVD system?

Also, is there any caveats I need to look out in deciding to purchase this minivan?
    I'm not in Canada, but be sure to get the Stereo/DVD premium package. It's a HUGE upgrade over the regular one. The upgraded audio is one of the better system on the market. The drop down DVD has an 8 inch screen that works just fine. It's a bit smaller than the aftermarket ones, making use of the rear-view mirror more reasonable and it's properly integrated into the audio system and even has audio/video jacks for camera or game system. The fully loaded Sedona is a very nice ride.

Good luck,

Capt. RB
  • tinyguytinyguy Member Posts: 44
    For some odd reason, us Canadians don't get to choose our audio system. DVD system isn't even available as a factory option. :cry:
  • slaterslater Member Posts: 3
    "I don't think the current seating would impact sales significantly as 75% of the American males are under 5'11'' in height and the majority of minivan drivers are female."

True, but a) most minivan drivers are (still?) married. That means perhaps 20% of the potential market is neglected because the track is too short, a less than $10 solution.

I drove one the other day, and it's going to break my wife's heart to tell her I just can't fit into it.
  • averigejoeaverigejoe Member Posts: 559
    Yep. Bad mistake to short the driver of legroom. Kia should fix that right away.
    My wife and I are currently shopping for minivans.. I am 6-4 and I can say that the Kia Sedona is a touch cramped but not uncomfortably so. I find it just as easy to drive as my 2002 Olds Silhouette. And it drives a heck of a lot nicer. I can say that likely our next van will be either the Sedona or the Entourage. I got to think that the Entourage is going to get some better incentives next month so that they can actually sell some of them and not lose all of the sales to the Kias.. I know they are the same company but it isn't fair to the Hyundai salesmen.
  • hadgadyahadgadya Member Posts: 2
    Bummer! That really stinks. :mad: Going to take it for a test drive tomorrow and seeing what they'll give me for my trade-in. (2002 Freelander)
    I'm 6'3 and would like another inch or two of legroom, but the seat also goes down and dips in a way that works okay for me. I think the seat can't go back further due to the distance from the airbag. Telescoping steering will need to be added.
    I just drove to PA and back from New York (220 miles) and had 250 miles on the car when we left. We averaged 23.5 MPG with speeds between 75-85 MPH. Car is astonishingly comfortable. This is a fully loaded EX with AC running and 3 people in the car. So far so good.

Capt RB
    NY
  • andrewrandrewr Member Posts: 4
    Hadgadya,

I purchased my 2006 Kia Sedona EX Luxury package three weeks ago. I, too, am in Canada - Alberta, exactly.

The stock AM/FM/CD player is standard with this model - only the Americans can benefit from the premium, Infinity sound system and the DVD player within the Luxury Package. I am not sure why. Two things: 1) the "stock radio" is fine (although I do envy the system in the American model), it plays and sounds very good, even at high volumes, but I am no audiophile. The one thing that does upset me is that the salesman convinced me that this deck could play MP3's - THIS IS NOT THE CASE! - it will play CD format only, but I have yet to try CD-R/W. 2) the one good thing the salesman did do was to steer me away from the DVD player. His thinking, and I agree, was do not purchase the optional DVD player with the van - purchase an after market system for far less. The optional DVD player is $1100. I purchased two independent systems that mount to the headrests at my local Canadian Tire for a third of that price. I now have two very happy kids. The only downside to this would be that I would recommend removing/hiding them when parked at a mall or when leaving your van unattended. Food for thought.

As far a fair purchase price is concerned, I believe I did all right. I paid $38500 for mine which includes all taxes, fees, and GST (no PST in Alberta) - no surprises. I did not have a trade-in.

Only two things so far that I question. First, I have noticed that once the vehicle is at speed and you remove your foot from the gas pedal (without touching the brake) it seems to have drag and does not coast very well - could be just getting used to driving a van again. Second, it idles very high, 2100 rpm, when starting it cold - don't know why.

As I said, I have had my van for just over three weeks now, 1100 kilometres, and I am very happy with it. Good luck with your purchase and let us know how you make out. ;)
    I'm shocked that the Canadian version comes only with the lesser audio/DVD package. He's quite right...with the regular stereo I'd have opted to get headrest monitors. On the other hand you might want to give Kia a buzz and see if the 2007 models will have the Infinity system. I cannot say enough about how much better it is. 13 speakers with a center channel and 7.1 surround sound makes it something other minivans only dream about. This also means I can play concert DVDs in surround sound...it's simply awesome!
    I am an audiophile and I can safely say this is one of the best systems around without requiring aftermarket additions. This system is very much worth the wait...if it's coming at all.

Good luck,

Capt. RB
    I can honestly say this is the oddest thing that I have ever encountered in my years of carbuying prowess. I tried really hard to buy a 2006 Kia Sedona yesterday. My wife has decided that this is the van that she would like. Thinking with the 3K in incentives and a dealer willing to sell at invoice price and give me a fair trade on the current van I'd pull the trigger. Only stipulations. My wife wanted a red one and one with all 3 packages Power, Luxury, and Premium Entertainment. Several Kia dealers in town told me if it wasn't on the lot they would find one for me. So yesterday I gave 3 of them the chance and it turns out that in the whole state of Ohio there are only 2 with the Premium Entertainment package and one is black and one is white, my wife's 2 least favorite colors. Why in the world would there only be 2 vans in ohio with that package on it and an even better question is will more come? Dealers don't seem to know the answer.. Does anyone out there know? I've never had this problem with an American brand.
    We honestly had no problem here in NY. Sedona EX loaded are easy to find in every color. My top color picks were the Glacier blue and olive gray...and we took the blue with the gray leather, which will wear better. Maybe Ohio dealers are not expecting people to buy loaded EX models. They are selling fast here.

Capt RB
  • wolfman1192wolfman1192 Member Posts: 11
    I have a question for you. I have owned my van since January and have inquired at the dealership several times about auto door locks and have not received an answer. Do you know if this an option the dealer can program? In my 2006 Sonata, the doors auto lock at 15mph and I was thinking the Sedona may have a smiliar option.