Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sedona

Comments

• mbparciambparcia Member Posts: 3
    Do you have any idea about the September rebates? My saleswoman told me that possibly one of the rebates would go away (she thinks competitive) She said last month they didn't have that rebate. I think she is bluffing. This late in the model year how could they get rid of an incentive? this just doesn't make sense.
  • redptcredptc Member Posts: 78
    Called motorimpact the side steps they had they said would fit a 2006 Sedona.BUT not to sure of that. KIA said it would be a couple of months before they have them in the states. Went to a new site koreanautoimports.com ,they had side steps, but to expensive. But they have other stuff for KIA & HYUNDAI. :confuse:
  • ppcpilotppcpilot Member Posts: 5
    Just purchased a 2006 Sedona. Apparently, no interior fabric protection is applied at the factory; thus, I want to apply this to my light interior. Anyone out there experienced with application of spray-on protection out of a can? Is it safe to use without discoloration and what brand should I purchase?
  • joancjoanc Member Posts: 26
    Sounds good...hope they will fit your '06. What color is your van? Ours is the white/silver 2-tone, so the chrome steps kind of match. But I'm sure they would look good with any color. -Joan
  • numbermannumberman Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased a 2006 Sedona LX a week ago. I am noticing a knocking sound when I shut the van off. The sound is appears to be coming from the right side of the center instrument stack. It sounds like someone knocking on a wooden door. I am usually getting anywhere from 3 to 5 knocks. Anyone have any ideas on what this noise is? I thought I'd see if anyone else has noticed this before I ask the dealership about it. I have not had the van out on the highway yet. I have about 400 miles and got about 15 mpg on the first tank
  • redptcredptc Member Posts: 78
    Mine`s silver in color,(just one color).Got 3800miles on it,really like the 3.8L engine& the side windows that roll down.I`am going to have to save up some money before i buy the side steps. :)
  • navyairnavyair Member Posts: 202
    3M Scotchguard works fine. I used it on my 2003 EX carpets. Be sure to check it on your seat in a non-conspicuous area first, but it doesn't stain most fabrics. Costs about $6 a can, 1-1 1/2 cans should do the seats and carpets 2 coats. I do mine once a year.
  • joancjoanc Member Posts: 26
    The chrome running boards should look really sharp with your silver van. Just today, I ordered some chrome fender trim for our white/silver van (my husband is teasing me that I'm starting to 'pimp out' the vehicle!) But, I think it will look really nice. The trim is about 2" wide...I should have it put on by the end of next week..I'll let you know how it looks.
  • akoliveakolive Member Posts: 20
    We applied two cans of the Scotchguard spray stuff as soon as we brought the van (06, light color fabric) home. Works great, will no ill effects.
    Peter
  • mfranzmfranz Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I'm in the market for a 2006 Sedona and would like to know where I can find the factory recommended maintenance schedule. A local dealer gave me a copy of their maintenance schedule and it includes 'Install MOC Oil Conditioner' every 600 miles, 'install MOC Fuel Cleaner' every 15k, 'Perform MOC Throttle Body Cleaning' every 15k, etc. In addition, the service manager told me the spark plugs are changed every 60k, are platinum, and would cost $500 due to the expense for the plugs and labor! I must look really stupid... ;)

So, do any of you know the real scoop with the maintenance? What can I expect to pay?

Thanks,
    Mark
  • betht27betht27 Member Posts: 28
    Before I bought my 2006 Sedona, I just asked the dealer to see the owner's manual to review the maintenance schedule.
  • navyairnavyair Member Posts: 202
    I don't know if you have the luxury of shoping around to different dealers. However, I do know that here in the Twin Cities, dealer maintenance is good, but VERY expensive. I can remember when only Porsche mechanics got $50/hr. Now Kia Mechanics get $75 to $100/hr here...or at least split that with the shop. I paid $600 for a timing belt change at 60k, and they already had the car apart fixing the alternator!

Anyhow, you can do much of your own maintenance as long as you keep receipts. I did the major service intervals at the dealer, but change my own oil/filter and tire rotations are free where I bought my tires.

Go up Kia.com and look under owners. You will find the shop manual/service intervals there. Good hunting. I will probably replace my 2003 in 2008.
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    Where do you get the information that the Caravan is more reliable and durable than the Grand Caravan? :confuse:
  • b9driverb9driver Member Posts: 118
    We have a fully loaded EX Sedona, the light blue with leather. 7200 miles and not one problem, squeak or rattle. Engine seems broken in and even more powerful now. MPG is around 17.5 around town and we usually get better than 22 on the highway, but have managed better than 23 MPG at times. We're still more pleased and problem free than friends with a new Sienna, though that's a great van as well.
    Ride and comfort is excellent as stated elsewhere. Driver legroom needs improvement. I know someone who had a shop adjust it somehow for an extra 2 inches-cost a few hundred dollars though. Hmmmm.
    For those who missed it, Motor Trend gave the Sedonna second place against the Honda. The Sienna was not in the test, probably because they didn't want to lose against the Kia. The Quest and Caravan trailed. Though the Kia as 2nd, read the review and it's clear that it was a toss up.
    This is one great minivan! We sold our sweet Subaru Tribeca for this and WOW. Small SUV's just don't have the size for a family I'm afraid.

Capt Robert B
    NY
  • thehothitthehothit Member Posts: 19
    I'm looking for advice please!

I purchased a 2006 Sedona EX with Luxury & Power Packages at the end of August '06 from a dealer in Southern NJ.

It's a great vehicle, except that I noticed a really annoying rattle coming from somewhere around the "B" pillar next to my left ear when driving. I first heard the rattle when driving the car off the dealer's lot. I called immediately and was told to "bring it in to the service dept. tomorrow morning". So far, it's been in the shop for about 10 days (not all of them consecutive).

During the short periods of time that I've been able to drive it, other problems have cropped up:
    The passenger side Power Sliding Door doesn't always close properly - failing to latch and just giving up.
    The dealer put a huge scratch in the right corner of the rear bumper - which they fixed.
    The dealer also put a tiny dent in the driver's door (which may have been fixed by now - I don't know!)

So far, the dealer cannot locate the source of the rattle and they've heard it. They've replaced the driver's door hinge, the window channel (if that's the correct name for it), and had the interior trim off the door and the door off the car.

I really don't know what to do. I'm considering contacting Kia. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
  • thehothitthehothit Member Posts: 19
    Here's an update:

I just went to the dealer's body shop and they'd been working on a rattle they'd heard in the driver's door - not the rattle I was hearing (even though I'd explained in great detail where I though it was coming from!).

I asked one of their technicians to remove the trim of the driver's side "B" pillar and lo and behold, a bolt holding a bracket belonging to the seat-belt mechanism hadn't been tightened. A washer was causing the rattle!!! The car's off back to the other side of the road to have the dent fixed and Power Sliding door problem looked into.

I'll post my experiences with my Sedona when I've actually had a chance to drive it for while.
    After the scratches and dents then should give you a new car. That type of damage can be detected even after proper repair and reduces the value of the car. No way would I accept it back. And I would call Kia right away.

Robert B
    Kia EX
    NY
  • tuggles1tuggles1 Member Posts: 5
    Yes! Our 2006 has about 3500 miles on it and it also makes the same humming sound from under the floor. I plan to call our local Kia service and ask if they are aware of it.
  • mwwestiiimwwestiii Member Posts: 2
    Yes, we just started experiencing the exact same issue at about 3,800 miles. Has anyone been to a dealer yet about it?
    I called the service department at my dealer and he told me that he is definitely aware of the problem and needs to order a part. In his hurry to schedule me and move on, I didn't get a chance to ask what the part was. I'll post it here after my appointment. Also, there are at least 2 pending recalls. However, I still love this van!!
  • likellehlikelleh Member Posts: 35
    I have a 2006 Sedona bought at the end of Aug 06 and at 400 miles started humming intermittantly. It is a known fuel pump issue in the 06 model and Kia is working at this time to correct the problem. It is more of a nuisance noise and not a saftey issue. If find i hear it more when i have a half a tank of gas or less. Also at this time on the 06 is a recall on some models for the brake lines rubbing against the callipers and breaking the brake lines. There is a recall for the rear sensors on the power hatch falling out of place because the adhesive lets loose. I called my Kia dealer who looked up my vin # to let me know what known issues are out there on my van.
  • tnkafkatnkafka Member Posts: 2
    had our 2006 LX out in an all day downpour yesterday and twice was shocked to feel (wearing sandals) water dripping from beneath the dash. i made certain is wasn't from floor maps or my sandals, and when i got home, tried my best to peak up under dash w/ a flashlight and couldn't see anything. Realizing this is a rather particular scenario, has anyone else ever noticed this?
  • betht27betht27 Member Posts: 28
    Fortunately through some of the heavy Florida downpours, I have yet to experience that and hopefully wont. Let us know what you find out at the dealer.
  • spectramanspectraman Member Posts: 255
    http://www.lawcash.com/recalls/kia-sedona-recall/alert/6379.asp

Kia Recalls 2006 Sedona

Manufacturer : Kia Motors America, Inc.

Component: Electrical system:Wiring

Potential Number Of Units Affected : 4,753

Summary:
    On certain passenger vehicles equipped with adjustable brake pedals,
    the stop lamp switch wiring harness may be out of position. An
    improperly positioned stop lamp switch wiring harness could make
    contact with the u-joint assembly of the steering column. Repeated
    contact may eventually cause the wiring harness insulation to chafe.

Consequence:
    Chafed insulation could cause a short of the wiring harness resulting
    in the loss of brake lights, engine stalling, or an inability to start
    the vehicle increasing the risk of a crash.

Remedy:
    Dealers will inspect the wiring harness for chafing and, repair if
    necessary. In addition, the dealer will secure the wiring harness to
    prevent contact with the u-joint assembly. The recall is expected to
    begin by the end of September 2006. Owners may contact Kia at
    1-800-333-4542.

Notes:
    Kia recall no. Sc065. Customers may also contact the National Highway
    Traffic Safety Administration's vehicle safety hotline at
    1-888-327-4236 (tty 1-800-424-9153), or go to http://www.safercar.gov.
  • standepuystandepuy Member Posts: 23
    Kia will introduce a new short wheelbase version of the Kia Sedona at the New England International Auto Show in November, 2006, and although details and prices have not been released as of this writing, the Dodge Caravan may well lose its claim to the lowest priced minivan in America to the short wheelbase 2007 Kia Sedona.

September 19, 2006, authentic link title new car review: 2006 Kia Sedona LX (SWB is mentioned at the bottom of article)
    link title was the home page - this is the article
    http://www.carbuzzard.com/review.php?id=16084 :)
  • jakedogjakedog Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone had the fuel pump noise resolved? We just got a 2006 Sedona this week. It only has 200 miles on it and we noticed the noise today.
    Guess not jakedog. Our 06 has 2100 miles and we have not heard this noise. I just took the van in for the 3 month oil change and they also checked if there was any service bulletins for it, none. They did check to see if there was any issue with the brakelines however.
    One thing I have noticed is the van is cold blooded. It seems to miss a little before it is completely warmed up. The might be an issue up here in Alaska. Anyone else notice this?
    Peter
  • tnkafkatnkafka Member Posts: 2
    FYI, dealer couldn't recreate leak condition, not surprisingly. they surmise it's not unlikely water managed to work its way into air vents. i'm not sold on that but until we have another rain like that, i'll never know. they did peak all around under dash and found nothing.
  • allcarsrcoolallcarsrcool Member Posts: 113
    Does the sedona/entourege have power 2nd row windows (do they roll down?) and if so where are the controlls for the second row occupants
  • tturedraidertturedraider Member Posts: 159
    Yes. They are on the "B" pillar, about halfway up, on the back corner that faces the 2nd row seats.
  • snjdogloversnjdoglover Member Posts: 13
    I had the unfortunate experience of a 2004 Sedona lemon. I file a lemon law. Electrical problems amoung others. The 04 was always in the shop. It would take 2 trips to fix any problem you brought it in for. One to diagnose, the next after they'd had the ordered part in. Long story short I filed a lemon law case and won. I got full sticker price toward a 2006. I had to pay 6K difference between sticker prices. Anyway I go to pick up the new van and check engine light is on. I cancel the transaction until that's fixed. They tell me 2 days later it was a plug that was loose. I go back to turn in my lemon and buy the new...and it won't start. Dealer says it was because we were testing out all the power doors on the battery. He jumps it and I take it home. (I wouldnt' have taken this car but it was the only olive grey tan leather left in the tri-state area. After 700 miles the brake light goes on and sticks. Then few days later the car won't even start..again. I have it towed in. Turns out 2 open recalls upon selling me the car. So the new dealer (not the purchasing dealer--he was 2 hours away--the only one with my color) fixes the open recals and replaces battery. He thinks the recall of the brake light problem caused the battery to fail and all problems since the beginning. We'll see. I feel like I am on my way to another lemon. We'll see. I wish I could have taken my money and run but they wouldn't give me the cash. I'll fight harder if this is another lemon for the cash! Anyway I've noticed on my 04 and this 06 the paint seems to be really bad. i had peeling paint on the door handles of the 04 and they replaced them under warranty but the new peeled too. Now my 06 has been lightly touched and it's got scratches in several places. Has anyone else found the paint to be low quality? Do you know any way to protect the paint job better? Is there a cheap fix I can do (maybe get a company to put another top clear coat on it?) to keep scratches from happening so easily? I wish the car was made better because it's really a nice van. A lot of great features. Comfortable, looks nice, etc. I just wish it was reliable and that service new what they were doing.
    Are you sure you have a 2006? I had a 2002 and I know the 2002-2005 vans sucked. But I now have a 2006 and it's fantastic!
  • snjdogloversnjdoglover Member Posts: 13
    Yes I definitely have the 2006. I had a 2004 lemon. Now I've already had a bad experience with my 06. Like I said I went to buy it and turn in my lemon and it had a check engine light. Then the next time we went to complete the deal it wouldn't start after playing with the automatic doors and tailgate. So they jumped it. It worked great for 700 miles then brake light came on and wouldn't go off. Then car wouldn't start again. Brought it in and they fixed the 2 recalls and tell me maybe that's what was wrong with it initially. I certainly hope so! Nothing like having a brand new car that won't start and has to be towed to the dealer!
    Boy, no doubt. I sure hope that things work out for you. I have many things go wrong with cars but never to a new one. Our 06 has about 2500 miles on it with out any problems. I pray it stays that way. Even if it has a great warrenty, I still don't want things going wrong with it.
    Peter
    I never ever heard of a paint problem on these new Kia's. The paint is a fairly standard application and is part of the warranty, so it's not lowgrade. 9K miles on our 2006 and utterly perfect. I have friends with Toyota Sienna and they have problems with 2005 and 2006 models, so any car can have an issue if you have some bad luck. Sounds like you've had more than your share!
    Good luck.

Capt RB
    NY
  • likellehlikelleh Member Posts: 35
    Rach, i too had a 2004 lemon and have a 2006 ex that i purchased at the end of Aug and have almost 3700 miles on. I have a long history with the Kia forum and if you do a search on my name you'll see too what i have been through. I had to work directly with Kia Northeast to get anything done right at the dealer with the 04 and in the process had 5 service managers let go due to poor quality service. Even with the 06 I have already put a complaint in against the dealer and recieved a call from Kia NE in regards to it. I now have a great dealer with a great service dept and hoping things continue well with the 06. I do have the fuel pump issue with the 06 as well as the rear sensor recall on it. However, I love the 06, the redesign and the 500lbs less the 06 weighs compares to the 04 makes a big difference in driving and handling. My gas mileage is on target, 19/20 in the city and 26/28 on the highway. I have not other problems, but I have had the car hand waxed and detailed 3 times already and trying to get enough wax on it to keep it from scratching in the New England Winter. :)
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    thanks for the messages. I think that is most of the problem...the service techs not knowing how to fix simple problems. Maybe my old one would never have been a lemon if they just could have fixed it correctly.

About the paint..that's a good idea to build up the wax. Did you do it yourself or just do the kind the car wash sprays on? I keep away from the car washes with brushes...but found this great NO touch car wash here by me. I love it. Nothing ever touches your car. It's all a done by really powerful water shooting on to your car and all the soap and wax being shot on. LOL

What kind of wax do you suggest? The old fashioned hand waxing? What brand do you use? I just find the slightest touch buts a slight scratch that shows up as a white line on my dark olive grey color. I'd like to do something to prevent it.
  • rgochoargochoa Member Posts: 17
    Problem has been solved by dealership. The windshield need to be resealed--problem gone, I'm happy. Recently got 23.5 miles per gal on a 2000 mile trip, car now has 10000 miles on it.
    I check out the "detailing" area of the Kia Dealer before checking with the salesmen since they never know anything about new models.
    Sure enough there was a white one. It just said 2007 Sedona Base (no 2 letter designation) for $20,495 + $300 for roof rack/carpets and $700 for inland freight.
    It seemed to have most of the features of the bigger LX. BUT it had the 3.8 engine (18/25 mpg) and I wanted the smaller engine like the Carnival (177 hp). :mad:
  • verwriverwri Member Posts: 6
    Standepuy...I checked a dealer in Pa. he said he asked he general manager about this car and they had no idea. Told him to check the KIA motors website and the Carnival is there. He called me back and said they don't have any idea about it and check and said they dont have anything like that on order for 2007. He said maybe it will be out in 2008. My question is...the car you saw in detailing..what state are you in????? ..and what did you ask anybody about the car????...

Im holding off buying a LWB...just for I can get the SWB...but hopes it is out by FEB...because I dont want to missing the 2006 selloff for nothing..
    Dealers (Kia in this case) are mainly concerned about the cars they have on the lot and concentrate on selling them - I guess that's why they know so little about the new models.
    I checked the Sacramento Ca Dealer (which only had the white one) and even called a bigger dealer in Kias on Florin Road Sacto which had none but were expecting them in.
    The 2007 Carnival (SWB)was introduced in the British Isles much earlier this year with a 177 hp engine OR a diesel. The Grand Carnival is the LWB.
    The dealer (Sacto) said there was only the 3.8 engine for the US version- (which has grown slightly to 250 hp).
    Since you are further east in PA (love the name "keystone" state as in "top stone" of the Arch) it may be a while before the "Inland Freight" gets to your area.
    Maybe we (SWB individuals) can start our own forum in the future since all this SWB talk probably annoys the LWB fans.
    http://minivans.about.com/od/roadtestsreviews/ig/2007-Minivan-Preview/2007-Kia-S- edona.--2W.

The 2007 Sedona continues with two trim levels (EX and LX) but gains a new short wheelbase (SWB) variant. A number of other minor changes and improvements may be in the offing for the ’07 Sedona, but couldn’t be confirmed at press time. These updates will likely include a redesign of the center stack and a modest boost to both the horsepower (from 242 to 250hp) and torque (from 251 to 253lb-ft.) of the standard 3.8 liter V6 engine.
    This what I found out also.

This is what I just received from a Kia PR rep:

>>The SWB Sedona will be available as a 2007 model. It will go on sale next year. Exact sale date has yet be to determined.

Looks like it's definitely happening, just no solid dates yet. :)

Here is a website with great pictures. Not in english though.

http://www.kia4u.de/modelle/carnival2006/index.php

Hey..and get that (SWB) forum ready..
  • dbtdbt Member Posts: 298
    Thanks for the info. What will the seating arrangement of the SWB likely be?
    It looks to be 2+3+2...If you scroll down from on the screen of the previous email address, it has many pictures of the inside, with various seating arrangements.
  • fishbreathfishbreath Member Posts: 58
    If you go to www.lotpro.com they have the base,lx,ex. all listed.
  • dbtdbt Member Posts: 298
    Thanks. Big difference betw SWB and LWB LX seems to be the 3rd row is fold-into-the-floor for the LWB LX (and associated spacing, but I'd be curious as to whether there is simply less cargo space in the SWB versus people space (just pushing that last row back).
  • zoomzoomitiszoomzoomitis Member Posts: 45
    Was on the KIA lot yesterday with a salesperson in tow inquiring about "that new '07 SWB Sedona ya got sitting there." Folks, that thing is so new, the sales manager didn't even have the invoice pricing yet!... or so he said. ;) IOW, couldn't give me a price even if I had the cash in my pocket as I was standing there talking to him with my hand out waiting for the keys to take 'er home. :surprise: Can confirm those MSRP numbers someone stated above though. This one was silver with the rack. MSRP with shipping did total out to exactly $21,495.

Now for differences that I noted from the 28 "whales" as I call 'em (06 Sedona LX & EX versions that are simply too big for my own personal taste)this dealer had sitting out back. Number one, the seating material seems much more minivan-ish to the touch IMHO. By that I mean if you've got kids and I do, seems a lil' tougher. Those seats in the LX that I stuck my head in sure looked stain-able, soil-able and ruin-able!...again, strictly my opinion of course. Secondly, rather than the antenna being in the glass, this new shorter model has a mast coming outta the roof center on the back just above the liftgate. Similar to Mazda3 hatchback style if anyone's up on that style. VW does it with their bug too as do many manufacturers with many varied models to numerous to list. Just put it in there for example purposes. All in all, I thought it looked good. Only other thing I could see, floor mats were listed as an option as were the cross beams/bars on the rack. Rails were installed and listed as standard on the sticker. LX whales call for an option here. Standard on the upscale EX. Everything else, about the same. Same engine, drivetrain. Did note the increase in ponies up to 250 from the previous 244. Listing same estimated gas mileage. All safety stuff standard that we are coming to expect from these Kia products.

Oops! Almost forgot to mention. Yes, it IS smaller in the trunk and of course doesn't have the stow n' go third seat. Seat's split and fold, though I might add, without the "cavern" in the floor the stow n' go requires. Yee-ha! Don't have to wrench the back when yankin' out the groceries. :D