Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sedona

Comments

• fishbreathfishbreath Member Posts: 58
    I have the LX WHALE and I do wish the interior was dark gray. but light gray is better than the tan. What is the weight difference between the shorty and the whale?
  • zoomzoomitiszoomzoomitis Member Posts: 45
    To answer your question fishbreath (great name BTW), the '07 brochure lists the following:

"Sedona" (what they are calling the SWB)
    Standard - 4365lbs.
    Full Option - 4618lbs.

LX and EX (what I refer to as the WHALE!)
    Standard - 4387lbs.
    Full Option - 4646lbs.

I suppose if these figures are to be believed, just about negligible. Guess that's why those mpg estimates on the stickers are identical. Same engine/drivetrain. Same basic weight. Wind tunnel results probably the same as well. Looks like they just chopped 12.6" off the rearend, tightened the wheelbase and lowered the starting price. Track is listed as identical to LX/EX whales. Ditto the width, height & ground clearance.

Also, please note a correction to my previous post. I was in error over the rack being listed as standard equipment. Make that roof rails & mats - $300 option. Cross beams extra.

Light gray innards for your whale, eh? How appropriate. :P

PS Are these things as thirsty at the pump as some say they are fish or are you getting decent numbers? Just can't see an engine that size combined with the above notated weights on these rather large land cruisers getting the claimed mid-20s. Curious of your first hand figures. Danks in advance.
    Only 22 lbs. lighter. I only have 1300 miles on it. !st tank 24.5 highway ride to break it in. the next three were mixed driving 18- 18.5 all on reg. gas. We plan on using it mostly on weekends and for my fishing trips. the wife has a liberty and gets 18.5 for the way she drives. Myself I get 21-23 with a 01 nissan frontier 4 cyl, auto.
  • redbluffianredbluffian Member Posts: 7
    Kia has released a preliminary service bulletin addressing the fuel pump noise some of us have experienced in the 2006 Sedona.

The bulletin is available in the service section of the Kia webpage. Here is the URL for the bulletin.

http://www.kiatechinfo.com/TechInfo/Pitstop/board_view.asp?docu_no=57

The bulletin was released on November 20, 2006 as KT2006112001

Looks like a simple fix requiring a cable tie.

Finally some peace and quiet!!

Red Bluffian
  • nelsetnelset Member Posts: 3
    I saw the short version at the SF auto show. Compared to long version, 3rd row can't fold into the floor and there is less cargo space. Seems the legroom in the 3rd row is about the same.
    Amazing that the two versions almost weight the same, figured it would have been 100+ lbs difference...
    Anyone have a link to the 07 brochure? I only see the 06 brochure online.
  • verwriverwri Member Posts: 6
    :confuse: After actually seeing the swb in person. Is it worth it.

Or just settle for the LWB because of the extra space. Does that extra space seems like a big lose
    FWIW nelset, my sales brochure that I quoted from is an actual hard copy acquired from my recent visit to the showroom. Not sure about any online sightings of this info piece. Very much resembles the '06 version if you looked at those, same pictures, much the same wording etc. etc. besides the addition of the short Sedona page along with the specs page adding another column.

zoomzoom
    Here is a link I found in the uk for the SWB

http://www.kia.co.uk/?flash=true
    Any chance that you can scan that spec page showing the differences between the LWB and SWB? If not, any difference in space for 2nd row? What's the difference in space for the 3rd row and cargo area? At the auto show, the major difference I found was the cargo space behind the 3rd row. Kia's website only has the 06' info and the brochure I ordered online, they sent the 06' brochure to my home.
    If you can get by with less cargo space and don't need the 3rd row to fold into the floor, it should be fine. At least it's easier to park in the garage and will cost a couple of grand less.
  • dbtdbt Member Posts: 298
    Fishbreath posted the Lotpro pricing link earlier. I now see that Edmund's major competitor has also posted pricing on the SWB, and it is the same as in Lotpro:
    2007 Base (SWB) MSRP: $20,495.00
    2007 Base (SWB) Invoice: $19,895.00
    Destination charge: $700

Not much negotiating room between MSRP & Invoice there.

Also, Straightline got a couple pictures of the SWB from LA, and some info:
    Straightline's shots of the SWB Sedona from the LA Auto show
    Interestingly, this SWB had captain's chairs for the second row. (my preference)
    Sorry. Can't scan. But I'll rattle off a couple #'s here that might answer your questions.

Legroom(Front/Middle/Rear):
    Sedona base: 41.7in/37.0in/33.9in
    LX & EX: 41.7in/40.9in/34.0in

Headroom(Front/Middle/Rear):
    Sedona base: 40.9in/39.8in/36.4in
    LX & EX: 40.9in/39.8in/38.3in

Passenger Volume:
    Sedona base: 161.6cu.ft.
    LX & EX: 172.3cu.ft.

Cargo Volume (behind 1st row/2nd row/3rd row):
    (This one's the kicker!)
    Sedona base:121.3cu.ft./61.8cu.ft./12.9cu.ft.
    LX & EX: 141.5cu.ft./80.1cu.ft./32.2cu.ft.

It is that room or lack thereof behind the 3rd row in the shorter Base version that IS the difference. Ground clearance same. Ditto the width, height, front & rear track. As noted before, SWB is 12.6 inches shorter overall.

Hope this helps.

zoomzoom
  • dfwoodydfwoody Member Posts: 2
    My wife normally drives our 2006 Sedona. However, this morning it's cold and I started the engine and was surprised to see the engine race to about 2500 rpm.

Is this normal?

It seems like a poor design to race the engine when cold before oil pressure builds. At least the engine is protected by the warranty.

Thanks,

Don
  • snjdogloversnjdoglover Member Posts: 13
    I have to bring in my 2006 (again) too. My rear handle bar (3rd row) is broken, the airbag light has stuck on a few times, I hear a knocking under my driving feet in the wheel base at braking, when I gas it I hear a noise, and finally, like you, when I have let it sit a day or two or it's cold, it turns on and makes a loud gear shift noise. I just don't think Kia's (my opinion only) are made well. This is my second. My 2004 was a lemon.
    The way I was told, the oil get up to the rockers etc. faster when the engine reves a little. Do the rpms come down within about 5 seconds?
    It handled pretty well and my wife loved that is wasn't as big as the whale.

I knew more about the car than the salesmen..(all of them didn't even now it existed. This was in Allentown,pa.

I was sold on the car before this:

It is a 2+2+3.. not a 2+3+2 like overseas.
    I wanted one fully loaded.
    The new SWB does not come with power sliding doors or rear hatch, no leather, no climate control.. etc. Just base... as in the name. The dealer gave me a brochure also and there is no options for it.

So basically its just shorter base minivan.. no perks.
    They will check with the KIA rep. and see if it will be offered with any options, but the brochure looks like it will not.

And all I wanted was a SWB with all power options, not the whale. So back to the drawing board.
  • dfwoodydfwoody Member Posts: 2
    Yeah, the rpms came down to about 1800 after a few seconds. It just seems a little odd.

Thanks for the reply,

Don
  • redptcredptc Member Posts: 78
    Mine does the same thing. I also get a loud resonance (from the exhaust system?)that quits after a few seconds.Doesn`t seem to hurt anything. :shades:
    See more info here:
    Kia COO/EVP Chat
    I always had dark colored vehicles and were hard to keep clean. Now i have the silver sedona and I get black spots and black dust on the sides mostly behind the rear wheels. I thought after the black crap (that they put on the tires when I bought it) would wear off I wouldn't have the problem. I also noticed they used a lot of undercoating underneath and when I idle for a while I get a little burning smell. So I'm thinking maybe some of the under coating that got on exhaust pipes, etc. burns off and is getting on the lower body panels that are plastic. I don't get it on the rear of the van. I have waxed it 2 times and it seems like the plastic gets static cling and the dust is sticking. Any body else took notice to this? THANKS.
  • capecoralbillcapecoralbill Member Posts: 51
    Me too, I thought it was from the shiney crap the dealer put on the tires. but i beleive it is from disc brake dust. I added mud flaps, and it's not as bad as it was. I only have 700 miles on the new van so I'll have to wait to see if this black dust reappears. I love this van!
    I also put mud flaps on and I have 1800 on it.
    Most of your braking is done with the front brakes so I would think if that was brake dust it would be on the side behind the front wheel and also on the wheel cover. When I was it I don't the dust coming off the front wheels.
    I went to the Obrien hyundai Dealership in Ft Myers, FL said they could
    only program a maximum of 2 key fobs to my 2007 van. I'm pretty sure that I read
    on the HMAservice website that 4 can be programmed to each car. Anybody know what can be done?
    Anyone change the factory headlight bulbs to a better bulb?I would like to get a brighter light.Any suggestions? Also called kia on the key fobs,i was told only two can be programed at one time. :confuse:
    KIA has a tsb pending on noises on their 3.8 engine.(with a build date before oct.9th 2006)Engine has noises on cold start that last just about a min.I brought my 06 sedona in to the dealers to have this check out,i was getting loud noises on cold start.It ends up they have to change some timing chain parts that will take about 13 man hours to fix.So if you have unusual noises have your dealer check it out. :sick:
  • alltogetherookalltogetherook Member Posts: 8
    "And all I wanted was a SWB with all power options, not the whale. So back to the drawing board"

Same here! I want a SWB with a fold flat rear seat. Thought I had the perfect vehicle in the MPV but when I test drove it I didn't like the "play" in the steering and the body roll. :cry:
    I've owned a 2007 Hyundai Entourage since Thanksgiving, I love it. The Tranny shifts so smooth. Carpeting seems like it wont last to well, i bought extra floor mats. The dealer rebalanced all four 17" Michelins that had vibration at 73 mph, they are perfect now (the dealer has the "ROAD FORCE" BALANCE MACHINE)This van has a lot less body roll than my 1999 Plymouth grand voyager.
    I'd be interested in a Kia or Hyundai SWB minivan If it came with automatic climate control, and if all three door were powered.

This van barely fits in my garage! But I love it
    my experience is that I never have enough room
  • ralowralow Member Posts: 2
    This noise is related to the lifters on the vehicle and also do to the fact that the oil filter is up top as oppose to a bottom or side mount. Nothing to worry about it just takes pressure to build up make the sound go away or the vehicle to warm up. But some people will never understand....
    I`am taking in my sedona next week to have this fixed.The dealer said it has to change the timing chain tensioners.The engine has to be removed to do this.I`ll let you know how it turns out.I`am the first one this dealer has to do. :sick: :sick: :mad:
    Got the sedona repaired last week. Took about a day and a half to fix.The dealer changed the timing chain tensioners,changed the oil and put in fresh anti-freeze.Sounds good now.Great dealer in central ohio. :) :shades:
    I have a 2007 Entourage with the same engine, and the same lifter rattle upon start up for about 30 seconds or so. I'd rather live with the noise than have it torn apart. UNless there is some sort of mandatory TSB, but with a 10 year warranty why bother?
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    Any thoughts on this? We may end up trading in our 2002 EX and buying a new 2006 in the next week or so. I haven't done the research yet on all the differences between the 2006 EX and LX. Dealers seem to have plenty of LX but very few EX. My preference would be EX, but willing to consider LX because of the lower price. Dealer is offering to do aftermarket leather and heated seats on an LX. They have one with the Power Package which would be a must-have for my wife as we are moving up from the manual sliding doors of the 2002 Sedona EX.

I'm sure the dealer would love to unload a 2006 LX and I won't be pulling the trigger unless the price is definitely 'right' which in my mind would be $7000 off MSRP. We haven't gotten into numbers yet.

Dealer let us take home the 2006 for the night, which was a nice touch.

Normally I sell my outgoing vehicle privately, but we may trade in our 2002 EX for simplicity and because I don't know how long it would take to sell it privately. We'll see tomorrow what the dealer's appraisal is.
    The 2006 Sedona EX we are considering purchasing at a local dealer has a build date of Nov. 2005. Is this one of the earlier 2006 units that were built? It seems like it, although I don't know the production date range of the 2006 model year Sedona.

My preference is NOT to buy a vehicle that has been on the lot so long -- in this case, more than a year.

Any thoughts on what problems the early 2006 units exhibited vs. the later 2006 units?

What advice does anyone have with purchasing this vehicle? My initial thoughts, if we decide to buy it, are to have the dealer do the following:
    1. Oil and filter change -- van has only 550 miles but the oil is more than a year old.
    2. Perform all open recalls.
    3. Address any TSBs that I want handled before we take delivery. I'm not sure if dealerships will actually do this sort of warranty work prior to customer delivery.

In particular, I'm concerned about the vibration at highway speeds that so many owners reported on this board. Is there a TSB that explains how the dealer can fix this problem?
    I'm sure the dealer would love to unload a 2006 LX and I won't be pulling the trigger unless the price is definitely 'right' which in my mind would be $7000 off MSRP.

See messages on "PRICES PAID" forum for more on this. $7000 off MSRP is the starting point low offer from internet people around me. Some have done better ($7500 off, possibly $8000 off).

On your other question about the 11/05 build date, that's what I saw on an EX too. Personally, I'm a little skittish on something that old as new.

Local dealers here have a lot more LXs delivered later, most of them with May 06 build dates. Still not late enough for all of the TSBs, but 6 months better than 11/05.

Your EX vs LX is a tough call. Just depends how much you really want those power sliding door / hatch options (not available on the LX IIRC).

As for me, I can't figure it out. I do think there will be similar deals for 07's at some time (there's already $1k on the 07 SWB).
    Wife decided we won't buy another minivan unless it has power sliding doors, so that crosses the 2006 Sedona LX off our list. Still deciding whether to take the current deal on the table which is $7,265 off MSRP on an '06 EX with Power Package and $5,500 in trade for our '02 EX.
    I bought a 2006 LX in may 06,it was a build date of 11/05.The thing about it was that it had recently been delivered to the dealer,and it still had the white covering on it.It just takes a while to get over here from Korea.The latest build date i seen were May 2006.Good luck on which one to buy. :):):)
  • rgochoargochoa Member Posts: 17
    I purchased an EX with power sliding doors and even better, a power tail gate. Got 12000 and have had it 6 months. Real pleased with it so far. Only complaint I have is that it takes one week to schedule an oil change at my dealership. I guess they sell a lot of vehicles. They are a standalone KIA dealership. Pay attention to wife--get it with power.
    I`am going to our kia dealer tomorrow,thier having a great sounding sale on 06 sedonas. So mabe i can upgrade to a EX model if the price is right.Good luck with your new EX. :shades:
    What type of pricing is your dealer advertising?
    They are advertising $5000.00 off after your best deal is made.We`ll see how much it is this A.M..
    Sounds like they are keeping the rebate(s) separate -- i.e. negotiate your best deal ignoring any rebates, then they will deduct the rebate(s) from that price. Seems sorta strange to me for them to advertise it that way, but whatever sells vehicles, I suppose.

I didn't really get an answer from my local dealer if there truly is a nationwide $1,000 dealer incentive in effect, on top of the published $4,000 customer rebate. Sounds like it probably IS for real, as typer_801 has explained and your post and the price I was offered seem to support that.
    We picked up our new silver 2006 Sedona EX last night. Its only option is the Power Package. Overall, this is a much more substantial minivan than our 2002 EX, which I really enjoyed owning and driving for 5 years.

In the near future, I plan to post here some observations regarding differences between the 2 vans. It is interesting to note that although the 2006 model is better in almost every way, there ARE some aspects of the 2002 interior which are superior. For example, the 'standard' EX sound system is better, the interior lighting is nicer with separate lights over each outboard 2nd/3rd row passenger, the existence of the center-mounted storage bin on the dashboard, the front doors each have 2 storage trays/pockets vs. 1 per door on the 2006, the dash and other materials have a higher-quality feel in the 2002, etc.
    That would be good to hear.
  • likellehlikelleh Member Posts: 35
    HI Blue, Yes you are right about all the features in the older vans vs the 2006. The one i miss the most that i did have in my 2004ex was the defroster on the front windshield. It was great in icy weather to keep the wipers from gathering ice. I love the bowed inside front doors and my favorite is the stow n go well in the 06. It is so great to put groceries in there and not have them flying around the back of the van! :) BTW...i do not miss the steel frame of the 04 and the wear and tear on the breaks! I like the lighter, more flexible van.
    Bought a 06 sedona EX last monday.It`s a gold EX with power doors & a trailer hitch.It also had some dealer installed items to,bug shield, window visors,&mud flaps.Paid $20,590.00 plus tax,& fees.Traded the old 06 LX. Seems like a good deal i hope. :)
    We had a really good experience with our '02. I had forgotten about the front windshield electric defroster -- will add that one to my list!

The brakes on our '02 did not require ANY work until 65,000 miles -- and all we needed at that point was new front pads. We traded it @ 75k miles and I was sad to see it go.

If our 2006 does as well on brakes, I will be thrilled.
  • brian1brian1 Member Posts: 29
    So far I like everything about the Sedona EX except the cheap looking plastic fake wood trim on the center console. Does anyone know if this can be switched out for the black one that is in the LX? I looked on an online KIA part catalog search system and could not locate this. My last resort is going to ask the dealer but I know they will charge me a fortune to make this change. Does anyone have any suggestions? thanks
    So far I like everything about the Sedona EX except the cheap looking plastic fake wood trim on the center console. Does anyone know if this can be switched out for the black one that is in the LX? I looked on an online KIA part catalog search system and could not locate this.

Someone [DocRXGLS] did this and posted detailed how-to instructions:
    Sedona Dash Trim Change

Before picture:

In between picture:

After picture:

Parts needed:

Left & Right vent trim pieces:
    84780-4D100-OA
    84783-4D100-OA

Bottom console cover:
    84631-4D020
    It is NOT very attractive. The fake woodgrain in our 2002 EX looked richer and more authentic.

This is not a mod I would ever do -- too much trouble for a simply visual benefit.

dbt, thanks for posting that how-to. Very nice information.

Actually, I don't like the black dash in the LX any better. We test-drove one for a good 4 days and I decided the black has a fairly cheap look and feel.