Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln Zephyr/MKZ

Comments

• rolo77rolo77 Posts: 31
    Roger

I sure did thanks

Chief
  • I was walking with my son through a parking lot today.

Keeping in mind that here, Lexus, Mercedes and BMW are about as common place as Taxis in New York.

We walked past a Zephyr parked between a Hummer H2 and a 6-series BMW. He said "Wow that's a cool car!"
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    Neat...but for the rest of us, is your son 3, 13, 23 or 73? :)
  • Sorry to leave out that detail- he is a 7 year old car-geek in training.
  • gregg_vwgregg_vw Posts: 2,419
    Too bad seen year olds won't be buying many of them. By the time he is of buying age, the thing will be forgotten. I give him credit for seeing through the Hummer's excess and for not being caught up in the BMW mystique (which seems to blind a lot of people to the weird styling).
  • buckwheatbuckwheat Posts: 396
    Zephyr is one in a number of new vehicles chastised for faulty rear-impact protection.
    The article FWIW follows:

http://tinyurl.com/puoom
    It is not competitive among mid-size sedans in front and side protection either. Both are "Acceptable," but to be even (or ahead of) most rivals, it would need to be "Good."
  • bigtbigt Posts: 412
    I just spent the weekend in Ashville NC and everywhere I went I received comments on the car. Also I easily traversed the mountains of Western NC all weekend even when on cruise control.

However with talk of $5 a gal gas everything might change quickly and a Hybrid might be in my future along with everyone else!
  • heyjewelheyjewel Posts: 1,046
    Yes, I read this article also. Funny thing, the headline was something like "Toyota gets best possible crash rating on 2 cars" - something like that. Well, the facts were that they also got only acceptable or marginal on the same 2 cars on different tests. Media bias?

But more to the point, this is another example of Ford (Lincoln) giving back any and all cachet they may have built up with the LS. Here's their new technology car, the Z, and it has much worse crash test results than the LS, which was a 5-star all-around vehicle.

The 'industry analyst' said the Z is just not competitive safety-wise in it's segment. Great. Just another reason I say there's no reason to buy a Z when u can have an LS for about the same price. (It's also not competitive performance-wise until the 3.5 gets dropped in, nor sporty-wise until they get rid of the blue-hair shifter technology and put some sporty suspension in it.)

In short, IMHO, Lincoln has taken 3 steps forward with the LS, and now 6 steps backward with the Emm Kay Zee or whatever the _ they're calling it this week.

In fact, if you look at Lincoln's current lineup, they do not have a vehicle that is competitive in ANY segment. Period. Not where I thought they would be in 2006 when I jumped on the bandwagon back in 2001
    Well stated, Jewel.
  • caliddcalidd Posts: 60
    Have any safety improvements been made to the 2007 MKZ? Also, anyone seen a side-by-side safety comparison between the MKZ, the Lexus ES350, and the Acura TL?
    "Have any safety improvements been made to the 2007 MKZ?"

Sure, they changed the name from 'Zephyr'. This way, it'll have to be tested again so Ford can say 'Well the 2006 Zephyr tested poorly but the results for the 2007 MK Z are not in yet.

"Also, anyone seen a side-by-side safety comparison between the MKZ, the Lexus ES350, and the Acura TL?"

Here ya go, Sailor: http://www.iihs.org/ratings/summary.aspx?class=15

On this page you'll see ALL the competitors have better crash ratings than the Zephyr. WAY TO GO FORWARD, FORD.

BTW, on this page:
    http://www.iihs.org/ratings/summary.aspx?class=10

you can see that the LS has Equal or BETTER crash test ratings than ALL it's competitors except the Volvo S80! Good news for the MK S? Or will Ford win the safety battle and dumb it down from Volvo specs? I know where my money goes if a few pennies are saved.
    George: In this article http://tinyurl.com/plnvp The MKS will be built on the same platform as the Ford Five Hundred and Mercury Montego sedans that are built in Chicago, but it features a sleeker and more powerful design. I'm not sure where Volvo enters or what specs you refer to, but others in another article mention the front hood as being similar to the S80.

The MKZ is mentioned in the article.. Just so we keep on topic.
    Mercury leaps ahead in dependability while Lincoln falls back..

http://tinyurl.com/qpwll
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,622
    The 500 and Montego use the D3 platform which was derived from the Volvo S80 platform.
    Thanks for reminding me Allen..
    "The 500 and Montego use the D3 platform which was derived from the Volvo S80 platform."

True true. To go further, in the article I read, these 2 and the MK S are on the 'D385' platform. There was also going to be a larger Lincoln on a stretched 'D386' platform. According to the article it is this bigger car that has been cancelled.

This article said the MK S replaces the Town Car. Well, the TC is a whole lot bigger than the MK S , ain't it? To me, the MK S 'replaces' the LS as it's similar in size. But I guess Lincoln thinks the MK Z replaces the LS? even tho it's smaller. So if the big car is cancelled, then the MK S is the flagship? And that leaves the Lincoln lineup after 2008 with the following:

MK Z
    MK S
    MK X
    Navigator
    Mark LT

Then there's the 'people-mover' that ANT's referred to, to be based on the Ford Fairlane concept. Let's call it the 'MK P'

So by 2009, Lincoln will be selling 2 trucks (LT and Nav) 2 crossovers (X and P) and 2 sedans (S and Z). This compares with 1999-2000 when Lincoln was the best selling luxo brand and they had the following lineup:

LS
    Navigator
    Mark VIII
    Continental
    Town Car

4 cars and 1 truck. Are they moving in the right direction? Obviously they never replaced the Mark VIII with another perfomance coupe and the Continental hole was never filled either.

Last, the D386 prototype vehicles (there were 2 of em) must then be what I saw in focus group a year ago. They resembled the MK S but were definitely bigger - more Town Car sized. As I've said before, either of these cars would make beautiful flagship Lincoln models. They were stunning. Either would have been a real replacement for the TC and would have filled out the Lincoln lineup with 3 related sedans with definite 'move-up' path for buyers.

Alas, apparently not to be. Like the Continental concept and the Mark IX or X and Navicross.

The livery-business money Lincoln will lose because of no Town Car will be hard to make up won't it? I can't see the MK S as a livery car, can u?
    The livery-business money Lincoln will lose because of no Town Car will be hard to make up won't it? I can't see the MK S as a livery car, can u?

Not any more than I can see the Infiniti M, Acura RL, Lexus GS or Passat 3.6 (all of which the MKS more or less resembles) as livery vehicles.
    What's your point? Infiniti etc are NOT presently making $$$s on the livery market. Lincoln makes a lot of $$$s from it but will make ZERO after the Town Car is gone and "replaced" by the Emm Kay Ess.
    My point was exactly your point. I was agreeing with you.

I only added that not only is the MKZ no Town car replacement, but it could be mistaken for a Japanese mid-size luxury car.