Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln Zephyr/MKZ

Comments

• gregg_vwgregg_vw Posts: 2,415
    I agree, akirby. Consistency is something Lincoln can use on any level. Besides, "Zephyr" is not well-established--and some even remember it as a bland Mercury product.

The 3.5 will come to Fusion and Milan eventually (they will have to in order to compete as hp keeps rising), but by then (hopefully) the MKZ will have an even higher output version.

Overall, it may translate into a good move for Lincoln. They can tout MKZ as a new model again in the fall, while putting a more contemporary Lincoln face on it.

BTW, it will be interesting to see how the MK nomenclature goes down. Rather than emphasizing the Lincoln name, people may start referring to their vehicle as a "Mark,"--in which case the Lincoln name is still de-emphasized.
  • heyjewelheyjewel Posts: 1,046
    Silly is an understatement. This is embarassing. If I worked for Lincoln marketing, I would hope I'd have enough self-respect to fall on my sword right about now :>)

Seriously though, what will this do to sales of the Zephyr the rest of this year? Who's going to buy one now, except people who have no clue about the MKZ? Then when the new model appears, how peeved will they be that they bought the ugly, underpowered step-sister?

At least some effort is being made to distinguish the Z from the Milan besides charging $400 more for the same hole in the roof. But as one analyst said it's a move in the right direction but still the Z will not be competitive with other cars in the segment.

Sad. All the cachet from the LS is just about gone. I'm getting a bit embarassed to be seen in mine. Perhaps it's time for a Honda.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,669
    Who's going to buy one now, except people who have no clue about the MKZ?

Fortunately for Lincoln the percentage of prospective Zephyr buyers who have even heard about the MKZ will be very, very small. Outside of people in the industry, reporters and a small group of car enthusiasts like us nobody will even know it exists until it shows up on the highway. You'd be amazed how many people have never heard of the Fusion to this day and it's been out for over a year and on sale for 4 months.

And some of the ones who do know won't wait, especially if they perceive a price increase for the new model. So I don't think it will hurt at all.
    Once again, akirby, I agree with ya. If people really don't see the sameness between an Explorer and a Mountaineer (and many don't), and many haven't even heard of the Fusion yet, the percentage who will not buy a Zephyr because a "MKZ" is coming soon is miniscule.

As to what this move might do to Zephyr resale is another question, but it can't be any worse than the already bad residuals of Town Car and LS. And some people will even prefer the understated Lincoln grill on the Zephyr to the MKZ's new face.
  • Calidd......send me your e mail and i will probably take pictures this weekend and cna send them to you....my e mail is in my profile so send ur e mail to that address
  • Who's going to buy one now, except people who have no clue about the MKZ? Then when the new model appears, how peeved will they be that they bought the ugly, underpowered step-sister?

Hear hear! I was all set to go in this weekend and make an offer on a Zephyr, even with reservations in the back of my mind that this car may have been just an interim model... but now there's no way I'm going to purchase one. Thank you to johnclineii for posting the article -- otherwise I probably would have been blissfully unaware of the change.

I understand that there are going to be some changes from year to year, but they're going so far as to rename the frickin' thing! Besides being an extra hit on the resale value, it doesn't inspire any confidence in this year's model.

I wish I could wait until late this year to purchae a new car so that maybe the MKZ could be on my shopping list, but who knows, maybe it'll get renamed too. This just makes Lincoln look silly -- they should know better.
  • kjnormankjnorman Posts: 243
    What I found releaving from this article are the two following comments:

The Lincoln Zephyr sedan hasn't been out four months yet and Ford Motor Co. is already planning a makeover that will include a more powerful engine, a flashier front end and a new name -- the MK Z.

The MK Z is more reflective of the new Lincoln design theme, a look exemplified by the new Lincoln MK S flagship sedan that was unveiled at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit last month

So, might this mean the new MkZ will get a nose close to the MkS that was showed in Detroit? If so, then indeed I think this is good news!!

I'm trying to plan a visit to the Chicago auto show, and this will give me more incentive, as an AWD 3.5l Zephyr (umm, MkZ) is definately on my shopping list.
    Why guess when the pictures are already out? See for yourself:

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=22595&make_id=trust
  • kjnormankjnorman Posts: 243
    Whooppy dooo!!

I really do not see much difference in the front end. Okays its got bright chrome around the fogs and a horizonal bar across the grill. Big deal! Not really the big deal made in the press release.

Am I missing something here?
    Not earth shattering, but it does look better to me.

MKZ

Zephyr

• In 60s they facelifted and redesigned models every year. New grill looks more balanced. Older one looks too bold for such a small car. They need to do similar thing with Milan (make grill less bold). And of course do away with ugly piece of plastic they call radio control. Needs SD card slot or audio jack.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    I am sure Ford is not hedging their name bets due to threatened litigation by Honda over the MK-- names.

That has nothing to do with this.

Nothing at all.

Of course not.

They first say they want to get away from names and now they want us to believe that the MK stands for Mark.

Nothing to do with litigation.

Or trademarks.

Of course not...

Sigh.
    Lincoln has been using MK as an abbreviation for Mark for a long, long time. A lot longer than Acura has been a car company.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    And what MK-- models have there been in the past?

Well?
  • gregagrega Posts: 31
    Compare this blunder to the strategic long term 25+ year plans that Toyota and Honda develop for their cars and it is easy to see why Ford (and GM) are such a mess. Total lack of competent management and leadership!

The 3.5 V6 should have come out at the launch with these cars, not 12-months late. YOu don't see Toyota or Honda making these stupid decicsions. Look at the launch of the new Honda Civic with a well developed model range from DX, LX, EX and sporty Si and Hybrid powertrains (on time) - all very well done and winners of COTY!

I've lost all hope for Detroit - RIP!
  • heyjewelheyjewel Posts: 1,046
    The Z is a little tiny bit more attractive. But I don't buy any of their reasons for doing it this way. How long have they had for these cars that they couldn't have made the change we see here by the time the first version was released? What is so radical about this?

One other thing - have they said what the shifter will be like on the version with the 3.5L engine? Are we still going to see only the lame 'D-L' settings for forward gears?

With AWD, the 3.5L and selectshift, this MIGHT be a car worth taking on a test drive. IMHO as a 5 year LS owner. BUT, how much will that sticker for, with the important THX and sunroof options? $40K as someone has suggested? And what's the mpg rating of this drive train?
  • with many people here. The engine, while an improvement over the previous generation, should have been a 270 hp variant.

The CTS has 255hp and its been out a few years, Toyota has a 305hp BEAST in its lexus, and Acura has 270 hp in its FWD TL which you better believe it will meet or beet 300 in the next go around.

I believe 250hp is very competetive if put into the fusion/milan. THis is because the accord has 244hp and the camry now has 268, but the Zephyr needs more.

Still, it is a welcome improvement. I just hope ford cranks out more power out of this engine.

as for the name change its just stupid. Only the coupes in lincoln should have the mark name.
  • ANT14ANT14 Posts: 2,687
    Lets take note, it's 250HP using regular gas. If you (and it is engineered to do so), change it to Premium, your looking at 270-280HP. The 6 speed will make it feel, as so.
    akirby, you wrote a short while ago that the front end was one of the most difficult to re-do, and that Ford wanted to get the model out quickly before giving it a more distinctive look. That the 2007 change would further differentiate the Lincoln.

Good thoughts, but what they actually did was add a couple pieces of chrome. A lot of hype once again on Ford's part...about nothing. The average consumer will not even see these changes. The engine will help, but the car still looks an awfully lot like its Milan stablemate.
    And what MK-- models have there been in the past?

1956 Continental MK II
    1958 Continental MK III
    1959 Continental MK IV
    1969-1971 MK III
    1972-1976 MK IV
    1977-1979 MK V
    1980-1983 Continental MK VI
    1984-1992 MK VII
    1993-1998 MK VIII

2001 Lincoln MK9 Coupe Concept
    http://www.cardesignnews.com/autoshows/2001/newyork/highlights/lincoln-mk9/index- .html

Is that enough for ya?

http://www.classiclincolns.com/lchist.htm
    I was quoting from one of the articles that quoted someone from Ford that said they didn't have time to do the front end the way they wanted due to time constraints. It is possible there are dimensional changes in addition to the very minor cosmetic changes - hard to tell unless you saw them side by side.

We do know that they rushed the Zephyr out the door a year early - it was never supposed to get the 3.0L engine. I don't know about the front end changes but I can't imagine why they'd lie about that. They could have just as easily said there were minor styling changes and that would have been the end of it.

Notice they were calling the MKX the Aviator until last month also. I think they were waiting to bring out the MK names all at once.
  • With AWD, the 3.5L and selectshift, this MIGHT be a car worth taking on a test drive. IMHO as a 5 year LS owner. BUT, how much will that sticker for, with the important THX and sunroof options? $40K as someone has suggested? And what's the mpg rating of this drive train?

As another LS owner, I agree it may be worth a look. However, based on the interior pictures, it still just looks like D and L - not acceptable for me. I can't stand prop rods to hold the hood open but at least there are aftermarket companies that can provide strut kits to remedy that.

Sounds like AWD is "available" and not required? I don't need AWD in a 250 HP sedan, although others will jump at it. As for price, AWD usually only adds about $1500, doesn't it? I can't imagine the 3.5 being substantially more expensive than the 3.0, nor can I imagine the highway mileage being much different. I would think you could still be under 35K if you skip NAV.
    Why in heck would they make "dimensional changes" that no one can see?? There are no dimensional changes, other than the additional bits of chrome. And if there are, then they are truly crazy. To spend the money making styling changes no one can see (beyond the new chrome strips)--and reap no reward for it--when they don't have any money to use wisely much less waste is preposterous even for Lincoln. What they have really done is they pulled our leg again, bless 'em.
    Upon further review, the statement about the front end changes actually came from Jim Hall of AutoPacific and not from a Ford spokesperson. So that may be a bunch of bull after all. I see a slight grille change and minor changes to the front fascia but that's it, so I don't think it's true. Unless the pictures that were posted are not the final production pictures.
    it still just looks like D and L

True, but I wouldn't give up yet. That's something they could easily change before production this fall.

Or not.

AWD was always planned as an option for the Zephyr/MKZ but standard on the MKS and other V8 Lincolns.

And what is the obsession with the prop rods? Doesn't bother me at all. In fact I sort of like the simplicity.
  • If you were just gonna make all these changes after one year, why not wait another year to release the car, and get it right the first time!

Not that it is right, per se. The grille is tacky, and it is short on HP. And, having sat in it, the guages and dash look like they are still courting "boomers". :confuse:

Note to Lincoln: If you increase HP through premium fuel, with the extra 20-25HP, people might actually think this is competitive, premium product. 250 ain't gittin' it these days.

The more things change...... :sick:

DrFill
    To each his or her own. Prop rods are not simple to me. Simple is opening the hood and having it stay where you put it without having to thread a metal spindle into a metal hole and then remove it again (and clip it properly in its resting spot or risk scratches in the paint). Yes, any monkey can do it, but why should we have to? Manual windup windows are easy too, but most of us don't want them anymore on a luxury ride. Most companies have gone to struts. Easy, simple, trouble-free. Several economy cars even install them standard these days.
  • Lincoln always used "Mark", not "MK", so Acura has a legit complaint. "MKZ" is a weak moniker for a sedan, and has no value, given the car was introduced as Xephyr.

The launch of Zephyr is botched.

DrFill
  • jtfordjtford Posts: 12
    Will the MKZ get the new Ford/GM 6-speed tranny with the 3.5L engine upgrade, or will it be stuck with the current Aisin 6-speed?

It seems to me that the Aisin is a stopgap solution, and that the new GM/Ford 6-speed is the strategic solution that will provide superior performance and durability. Getting the new engine with the "old" tranny would leave a bad taste in my mouth.

-Jeff
    Will the MKZ get the new Ford/GM 6-speed tranny with the 3.5L engine upgrade

Yes, all the vehicles that come with the 3.5L Duratec also get the joint venture 6 speed automatic tranny.